PDA

View Full Version : Omri Casspi vs. Dwight Howard: International Relations Edition

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2014, 08:56 AM
So Dwight Howard apparently got into the Israeli/Hamas conflict, as did Cassipi. Here's a quote from Salon on the issue:

Omri Casspi. The Israeli basketball player, formerly of the Houston Rockets, has used his public platform to defend the state he was born in.

“600 missiles been fired from GAZA by Hamas in the last 4 days. NUMBERS DONT LIE. STOP LYING,” he tweeted on July 12. That tweet came after his former teammate Dwight Howard sent out a message that read, “Free Palestine.” After a firestorm of controversy, Howard deleted the tweet, saying he would not comment on international politics anymore.

In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, Casspi doubled down on his position. “I think of the people in Gaza… they think Jewish people are monsters with three heads. But Hamas is using humans as shields and building tunnels under people’s houses. What do we do?”

From Salon: http://www.salon.com/2014/07/30/6_obscene_celebrity_rants_in_support_of_israels_as sault_on_gaza_partner/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Thoughts? and Mods, feel free to delete this if an anti-Semitism or Islamaphobic comments creep up. My hope is that this is more a conversation about how athletes can use their standing to promote social issues and the pitfalls of that, not so much about the conflict itself.

jaydubb
07-30-2014, 08:59 AM
All I got from this is Dwight Howard is an idiot

Deception
07-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Casspi was wrong for telling Dwight to remove his post that said "#FreePalestine", everyone has the right to say as they please. However, the fact that I have watched foreign news where it isn't severely edited like CNN or Fox and can see the death and stories, you'll find it hard to agree with what Israel is doing (Firing at innocent families, killing children and stepping on dead bodies and posing for cameras.)

jaydubb
07-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Casspi was wrong for telling Dwight to remove his post that said "#FreePalestine", everyone has the right to say as they please. However, the fact that I have watched foreign news where it isn't severely edited like CNN or Fox and can see the death and stories, you'll find it hard to agree with what Israel is doing (Firing at innocent families, killing children and stepping on dead bodies and posing for cameras.)

Exactly. It's just a very serious issue, Dwight is a guy that jokes around 99.9% of the time so in my opinion nobody will ever take the guy seriously.. To me, I think what angered casspi the most was he might have thought Dwight was making a joke out of this issue

Hellcrooner
07-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Sports people ( or actors/ singers) shouldnt get involved in this matters.
Their opinions are not better/worse than those of an average joe, but what one of this people says has weight and they should understand that and refuse to take part on this kind of things.

Specially such a complicate matter as this one where you can never get the REAL news, you always come across heavily Pro-Israel lopsided news and then you can also run into Heavily pro-palestinian news, and both of them manipulate facts, images and etc.

Is an awful situation overall.

DreamShaker
07-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Dwight seemingly spoke before thinking or being well informed. That is obviously a serious issue, and it is wise to know the facts before making bold statements in such situations. I think Dwight probably had pure intentions, but spoke out of ignorance. Who hasn't done that? But this is the danger of celebrities and social media nowadays. Gotta be cautious.

sep11ie
07-30-2014, 11:58 AM
This is from like 3 ****ing weeks ago. You mother ****ers need to get a ****ing life.

SlimKid
07-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Dwight seemingly spoke before thinking or being well informed. That is obviously a serious issue, and it is wise to know the facts before making bold statements in such situations. I think Dwight probably had pure intentions, but spoke out of ignorance. Who hasn't done that? But this is the danger of celebrities and social media nowadays. Gotta be cautious.

What Dwight did was not toe the USA narrative. You are not suppose to speak of the plight of the Palestinians, you are only allowed to equate them all as "terrorists." Been the same for 20 years or so.

sep11ie
07-30-2014, 12:25 PM
All I got from this is Dwight Howard is an idiot

Explain why, because you make yourself look like an idiot here.

jaydubb
07-30-2014, 12:39 PM

I expounded on it a little bit 2 posts below the post you quoted me on if you want to read the entire thread and not just the first couple posts.

Basically my stance on this is, this is a very serious/personal issue. Dwight May or May not have been joking when he put on his twitter #freepalestine. I'm not going to say it was a joke because I don't know his intent, but I will say most of what he puts on twitter is a joke, most of the time he talks he is joking around.. Because of this a lot of people don't take him seriously. Look, he offended at least one person and most likely a lot more..

He took the post down and said he didn't want to comment any further on international affairs, why? Probably because dwight doesn't know much about it in the first place so why would he go on twitter where he has several million followers and say something very simple yet very firm towards one side about it?

FriedTofuz
07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
dwight COward

5ass
07-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm back to being a Howard fan. Free Palestine!

JLynn943
07-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Casspi and Howard are actually pretty good friends and Dwight apparently called Casspi to apologize from what I've read.

Casspi is obviously Israeli and has been in Israel for a lot of this (he said that on many occasions he and his family have had to evacuate to bomb shelters and that it's impossible to relax or get any sleep), so I understand and expect him to have a strong emotional attachment to this issue. Dwight, on the other hand, I'm surprised would post about such a controversial topic. He's certainly free to say what he wants, but it just seems like something unnecessarily divisive for a basketball player to put out there.

5ass
07-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Over 1000 civilian Palestinians killed so far. NUMBERS DON'T LIE

Goose17
07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
I respect Dwight more. Israel is a terrorist state, it isn't a war out there it's genocide.

Iversonfan4life
07-30-2014, 02:25 PM
I respect Dwight more. Israel is a terrorist state, it isn't a war out there it's genocide.

This is a perfect example of why this thread needs to be locked.
People on both sides of the issue are just going to start firing off inaccurate and insulting propaganda. This is a place to discuss sports not current events. If thats what you want to do go to CNN

Hotone1401
07-30-2014, 02:40 PM

No, you make yourself look like an idiot for not understanding how he would come to that conclusion. Dwight is an idiot.

gatkins11
07-30-2014, 03:25 PM
People on both sides of the issue are just going to start firing off inaccurate and insulting propaganda. This is a place to discuss sports not current events. If thats what you want to do go to CNN

Truth.

bucketss
07-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Free Palestine!

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2014, 03:48 PM
This is from like 3 ****ing weeks ago. You mother ****ers need to get a ****ing life.

Then don't read.

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Yeah.. I was hesitant to start this thread because I was worried it would go there... my hope is that we could discuss whether or not athletes should get involved and under what circumstances, and what the impact can be, whether on the court or in terms of public image.

I think celebrities should use their celebrity to highlight important issues, but at the same time thye should do so carefully and be well versed in the issues they take a stance one.

Goose17
07-30-2014, 04:02 PM

Some things are more important than basketball.

GoferKing_
07-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Well Howard is an idiot, but why can Omri state his opinion and Howard not? On the one occasion im with Dwight : “Free Palestine”.

Hellcrooner
07-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Yeah.. I was hesitant to start this thread because I was worried it would go there... my hope is that we could discuss whether or not athletes should get involved and under what circumstances, and what the impact can be, whether on the court or in terms of public image.

I think celebrities should use their celebrity to highlight important issues, but at the same time thye should do so carefully and be well versed in the issues they take a stance one.

There are problems where there is not a " right" side to ally with.
This is one of them, so relevant people should not be opening their mouths bout this.

You CANT get a level headed information on this issue, never.

Iron24th
07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Casspi is biased, dwight is not, that's a fact

Deception
07-30-2014, 06:01 PM

No, he's correct. I've had to evacuate my home country of Lebanon while visiting my ailing grandmother because of Israel. Bombs hit less than a mile from my house and had me scared for my life. They shoot first, ask last. Israel has always been like that, mostly due to the fact that the United States government supports them and has been for over 30 years now. What you fail to realize is that this has been going on for so long now and now that people are finally standing up is the greatest news to for the Middle East.

Corey
07-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Casspi is biased, dwight is not, that's a fact

One may be biased, but he's also a whole lot more informed on the topic.

We have a place on this site to discuss politics. Please leave this type of discussion out of the NBA forums.