PDA

View Full Version : No One Wants to Play with Dwight Howard and James Harden

NYKnickFanatic
07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
The Houston Rockets have made headlines for all the wrong reasons of late, with star players James Harden and Dwight Howard making some controversial comments regarding their teammates and general manager Daryl Morey striking out in free agency.

Have the Rockets developed a reputation as a team no superstar wants to play for?

Ric Bucher breaks down the state of the Rockets in the video above.

[VIDEO HERE] (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2144791-ric-bucher-on-why-no-one-wants-to-play-with-dwight-howard-and-james-harden)

jaydubb
07-29-2014, 03:21 PM
They ****ed themselves..

Rocket fans complain about this thread in 3...2...1....

goingfor28
07-29-2014, 03:23 PM
I read this a few minutes ago. But we are only allowed to make rockets are the best threads now. Otherwise I would've posted it

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 03:25 PM
:facepalm:

Instead of accepting the fact that this was an issue and being mature about it, you had to be the renegade who pushed the envelope just for the hell of it. That was a weak take by Bucher and a pretty obvious attempt to troll the mods by you.

Edit: And don't we already have 2-3 threads on this very same topic? You're not even creating a topic on a new issue. You're reacting to a video reaction about media comments that were made days ago and have been thoroughly discussed already.

Nikeman
07-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Honestly though, if I am a good NBA player like Parsons for example, and I see the comments just made by Harden and Howard, why would I want to go there?

The comments made by Howard and Harden are extremely disrespectful towards their teammates shows they don't appreciate them. So yes, if I am a solid player in the NBA, no star by any means but a very good NBA player, Houston would be the last place on my list, why would I go somewhere where my efforts are not even slightly appreciated.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Ariza did.
Boozer did until Lakers picked him up.
Parsons did until he got butthurt.

Melo and bosh went back for max money to home teams.

Can't we make this thread about pretty much every team?

Nikeman
07-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Ariza did.

Ariza signed before their comments came out bro...

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Ariza signed before their comments came out bro...

And?

He responded to someone on twitter saying he's been called much worse things than a role player and he shrugged it off.

Media/psd trolls are the ones that are making this bigger than it needs to be.

No more heat to hate on. Houston is the new team to hate since Lakers are pretty much irrelevant in contention terms.

Nikeman
07-29-2014, 03:42 PM
And?

He responded to someone on twitter saying he's been called much worse things than a role player and he shrugged it off.

Media/psd trolls are the ones that are making this bigger than it needs to be.

No more heat to hate on. Houston is the new team to hate since Lakers are pretty much irrelevant in contention terms.

Not really.. I don't think anybody really hates Houston, but they had a miserable off-season in many people's eyes and the comments by your "Superstars" are plain arrogant and belittling.

RubberBand Man
07-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Nothing like watching 2 B list players parade around like A listers. Lol

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Not really.. I don't think anybody really hates Houston, but they had a miserable off-season in many people's eyes and the comments by your "Superstars" are plain arrogant and belittling.

No. Ppl just hate dwight and james which I get but we don't need to regurgitate the same bs in every thread.

They made some blunt comments but quite frankly...who cares? Let's see how they perform if they back it up.

I agree they've had a rough offseason but I don't think it's time to blow up the team or freak out like ppl seem to think.

Just my 2 cents.

GREATNESS ONE
07-29-2014, 03:54 PM
These threads make me sad..

Goose17
07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
No. Ppl just hate dwight and james which I get but we don't need to regurgitate the same bs in every thread.

They made some blunt comments but quite frankly...who cares? Let's see how they perform if they back it up.

I agree they've had a rough offseason but I don't think it's time to blow up the team or freak out like ppl seem to think.

Just my 2 cents.

So you think Howards comments about Parsons were acceptable?

hugepatsfan
07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Guess not everyone got the memo about the "Be-Nice-to-Houston" rule.

hugepatsfan
07-29-2014, 03:56 PM

They were made by a HOU player so they obviously are not only acceptable, but as sacred as the Good Word.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Doesn't bother me. He's trying to stay confident. Was it necessary? Probably not, but I'm not here to bash what these athletes say. I'd rather judge them by their play.

Chandler clearly didn't get mad....

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24634752/chandler-parsons-isnt-mad-at-dwight-howard-for-comment?v=1&vc=1

WadeKobe
07-29-2014, 04:02 PM

That their team will be fine and not miss him? Sure. Parsons himself even said he understands and isn't mad about it.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Doesn't bother me. He's trying to stay confident. Was it necessary? Probably not, but I'm not here to bash what these athletes say. I'd rather judge them by their play.

Chandler clearly didn't get mad....

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24634752/chandler-parsons-isnt-mad-at-dwight-howard-for-comment?v=1&vc=1

I tend not to judge people I don't know at all. Just asking if, as a fan of the team, you are okay with everyone other than Harden and Dwight being referred to as role players that are essentially easily replaceable, you think that will do a lot for the chemistry? Just wondering.

If Kobe had said that, would you have been hating? Bet you would. It's easy to see why people (not me personally, but others) would have an issue with that sort of attitude.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Personally I didn't have a problem with it. And, yeah, you can play the "obviously you would feel that way because you're a Rockets fan and you hate Parsons right now" card. But I think I'd feel that way regardless of who it was who said it. It wasn't about ripping Parsons as a player or trying to diminish his contributions to the team the last few years. It was about expressing confidence in himself and his team after a tough situation made the Rockets seem weak this offseason.

What should Dwight have said? "Yeah, we should be far worse next year. Ariza clearly isn't the player that Parsons was and we're really going to be hurting because of that massive gap between the two of them." No. Not only is it not true, but you would never see a player say something that bold or inconsiderate of his current team and teammates.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
I tend not to judge people I don't know at all. Just asking if, as a fan of the team, you are okay with everyone other than Harden and Dwight being referred to as role players that are essentially easily replaceable, you think that will do a lot for the chemistry? Just wondering.
I understood why Harden said what he said. I'm not sure I agreed with it, but I think if you take that at face value without context, it's going to sound a hell of a lot worse than what he was trying to say. Just like with Dwight, I don't think he was trying to diminish his teammates. I think he was trying to move on from losing Parsons by putting the focus and the weight of next season of his and Dwight's shoulders.

I would have liked to see him say that differently, but these are NBA players with mics in their face, not scholarly poets pondering for hours at a disk with an ink quill.

If Kobe had said that, would you have been hating? Bet you would. It's easy to see why people (not me personally, but others) would have an issue with that sort of attitude.
Mmmm.... I dunno. I think it would depend on the circumstances. If it was just any random point in the season (not after losing one of his best teammates) and an athlete randomly spewed some nonsense about him being the star and everyone else being role players, I do think it would come off as arrogant and inconsiderate. In this case, I still think there was some of that. But I also understand Harden's intentions when he made that comment.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 04:16 PM

I judge basketball players by their BASKETBALL PERFORMANCE. I don't judge them personally as people.

I am ok with everyone being called role players. Since when does it have a negative connotation? They weren't thrown under the bus. It's factual what was said. Dwight and Harden are our two cornerstones. :shrug:

Chemistry feels fine from my p.o.v. This team had great chemistry and it was also like a college feeling towards their brotherhood.

If kobe said that, I couldn't care less. So, no, I wouldn't be hating. I don't go out of my way to hate players for things like this.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Personally I didn't have a problem with it. And, yeah, you can play the "obviously you would feel that way because you're a Rockets fan and you hate Parsons right now" card. But I think I'd feel that way regardless of who it was who said it. It wasn't about ripping Parsons as a player or trying to diminish his contributions to the team the last few years. It was about expressing confidence in himself and his team after a tough situation made the Rockets seem weak this offseason.

What should Dwight have said? "Yeah, we should be far worse next year. Ariza clearly isn't the player that Parsons was and we're really going to be hurting because of that massive gap between the two of them." No. Not only is it not true, but you would never see a player say something that bold or inconsiderate of his current team and teammates.

He could have said;

"We'll really miss Chandler and what he brought to the team, but what's done is done. Ariza is a very well rounded player and I think he will fit in well with the system".

I mean it's not difficult, company answers.

Personally I think what Howard said wasn't intended to be taken the way a lot of people have taken it, but his choice of words was poor. Nobody really cares aside from fans and media though. Doubt Parsons or Howard care much, they've probably spoken since, via text or email or whatever.

I actually don't have a problem with it because I think it wasn't intended to be malicious. BUT it was worded poorly and I can see why some fans might have interpreted it in a negative way.

It was the same in Orlando, all the stuff with trying to force himself to the Nets, I felt the media did a lot to try and make him seem like a complete *******, he didn't help himself, but the media blew it out of proportion.

Longhornfan1234
07-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Harden is manufactured super star. He has no mid range game and has trouble creating in half court. He's an awful defender. I wouldn't want to play with him either.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 04:19 PM
I judge basketball players by their BASKETBALL PERFORMANCE. I don't judge them personally as people.

That's just foolish.

If Dwight Howard raped and killed your mother you wouldn't judge him because he's a good basketball player?

Judge his basketball ability based on how he plays. But you can dislike someone as a person and like them as a player at the same time (or vice versa).

I tend not to judge people anyway but you can't say your opinion of players as PEOPLE is NEVER swayed based on what they do off the court, that's ludicrous.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
That's just foolish.

If Dwight Howard raped and killed your mother you wouldn't judge him because he's a good basketball player?

Judge his basketball ability based on how he plays. But you can dislike someone as a person and like them as a player at the same time (or vice versa).

I tend not to judge people anyway but you can't say your opinion of players as PEOPLE is NEVER swayed based on what they do off the court, that's ludicrous.

No **** but what are we talking about again?

Oh that's right. I don't judge nba players off what they say when trying to factor how they play. Not that hard to grasp

You're falling off course to my original point which is I didn't have a problem with what was said.

Strawman?

ThuglifeJ
07-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Not shocking.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 04:30 PM
That's just foolish.

You can certainly judge someone for their behavior off the court. But aside from his own indecisiveness and the way he forced himself out of Orlando, I don't really get the hatred for the guy. As far as I can recall, he's never done anything illegal that would lead me to believe he was a bad person at heart.

colinskik
07-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Just my 2 cents.

A lot of people seem to care because ... well because it's a d!ck thing to say and it's the offseason so there's not much else to talk about. It's funny to me when other teams become targets like the Knicks seems to be ALL the time and how their fans freak out. Then the same people will most likely turn around and be like "delusional Knick fans."

I still think the Rockets are good team that will make the playoffs, but these are just not things you should say if you're a professional, regardless of the industry.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
A lot of people seem to care because ... well because it's a d!ck thing to say and it's the offseason so there's not much else to talk about. It's funny to me when other teams become targets like the Knicks seems to be ALL the time and how their fans freak out. Then the same people will most likely turn around and be like "delusional Knick fans."

I still think the Rockets are good team that will make the playoffs, but these are just not things you should say if you're a professional, regardless of the industry.

You said it yourself. There's nothing else to talk about.

I have never said delusional knick fans btw. Just saying.

xbrackattackx
I think it's funny the mods are all defending poor Houston. But when we as a forum gave heat fans a hard time in 2010, They just took their lumps and kept on posting.

Goose17
You can certainly judge someone for their behavior off the court. But aside from his own indecisiveness and the way he forced himself out of Orlando, I don't really get the hatred for the guy. As far as I can recall, he's never done anything illegal that would lead me to believe he was a bad person at heart.

I agree with most of that.

Although having so many kids with so many different women is a bit of a no-no in my books personally.

Also, humping 16 year old girls is never acceptable, let's just hope that was tabloid B.S though.

c.c.
07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Nothing new here I see

beasted86
07-29-2014, 04:47 PM
I think it's funny the mods are all defending poor Houston. But when we as a forum gave heat fans a hard time in 2010, They just took their lumps and kept on posting.

Well its the simple reason why the moderators on PSD are mostly a joke. Not all, but most.

The "anything against Rockets" gets you banned or infracted is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time here.

bgdreton
07-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Lol not surprised that no one wants to play with them especially if I am called a role player but obviously I'm much more. As a leader you should never belittle the people below you or that help you if you both are striving for the same cause. Do I think Howard and Harden are bad people I have no idea honestly and no other person here should know unless they personally knew them (even then sometimes you don't know). What we do know is the choice of words used was poor and leads people to believe they are selfish not considerate etc. Also for those who say I know what Harden meant to say but it was poor use of words. How do you know, did he come out and clear the air? Did I miss an update? Lastly honestly if you have any ounce of competitiveness and played on a team sport you would be offended at the term role players.

dannyy08
07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Houston is the new team to hate since Lakers are pretty much irrelevant in contention terms.

Not bc the Lakers are irrelevant, it's bc of who the Rockets have in their team, Harden and Howard. They are not likable and what they said probes that. You can say all u want but what they said was not the right thing to say.

I'm sure your opinion would be diff if Kobe said that about the Lakers roster.

It's funny how a persons opinion changes when it is about their team.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Not bc the Lakers are irrelevant, it's bc of who the Rockets have in their team, Harden and Howard. They are not likable and what they said probes that. You can say all u want but what they said was not the right thing to say.

In terms of winning. The Lakers aren't really a threat. I'm not saying they aren't a good franchise. I'm saying that most of the time people bicker over laker related things because they've been so good for so long.

If kobe said this, I'd think it was blunt but true. Same as I feel about what howard said. :shrug:

Redrum187
07-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Until James Harden gave his comments about his current pieces... errr role players... err teammates.

DR_1
07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
The Rockets hate is out of control here

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Also for those who say I know what Harden meant to say but it was poor use of words. How do you know, did he come out and clear the air? Did I miss an update?

Who claimed to know what Harden meant?

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 05:26 PM

My thing is that I don't really think who said the actual words makes much of a difference in my book. It's all about the context with which those words were said. Once you consider the offseason that Houston had and the fact that Parsons left, it makes those comments seem far less offensive than they might at first glance.

Although I would argue that I didn't take any offense to what Howard said but that I'm admittedly a little peeved at Harden's comments. I don't think what either guy said was untrue or was said with any malicious intent in mind. But while Howard's comments defended his own team, I felt like Harden's comments kind of took a bit of a shot at his own teammates. Still, I'm not offended by either guy, and I think the media made a far bigger story out of those statements than they should have.

astonmartin10
07-29-2014, 05:41 PM
Slow days in the NBA for all this Houston talk. You cant blame Howard at times he doesnt know how to speak. Everytime he gets in front of the media the Rockets should have prewritten responses.

The comments are being overblown by the media to make him look look like a bad guy.

Kind of funny, Harden is a role player on the USA team.

bgdreton
07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Who claimed to know what Harden meant?

Umm actually you top of pg 2.. When you said he said that because he was trying to stay confident. How do you know that? Seems to me Harden doesn't need any confidence if anything I'd say he has too much. How do you know he doesnt really believe that role players are just that and everyone except Harden and Howard can be replaced? Your buddy Mightybosstone also said what Harden meant was to take the shine off the team and put it on them. How does he know that? I mean come on what was said is said and that's a fact. Nothing more nothing less both of them look like *** right now but that doesn't mean they can't change or get better or even at min fire their PR people. I understand being extra sensitive bc the off season was bad for you guys and yes some of the Houston hate has been a tad bit to far. At least your team has been relavent in the pass 35 years the warriors have not aside from the early 90s and now, and I have no problem in saying that bc it's a fact.

beasted86
07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Are people really trying to say the Howard/Harden statements weren't offensive?

Instead of using it as an opportunity to endorse the rest of the teammates especially Parson's supposed replacement in Ariza, they instead used it as a soundboard to make the rest of the players seem insignificant, and that whether they win or lose is only on them because the rest are just "pieces".

I'm not saying everyone thinks the same way as us, or have the same perception, but if MOST people here found the comments offensive, don't you think MOST of the teammates felt some type of way about those comments? Maybe its good, in that it motivates some to show they are more than a role player... maybe its bad if they think the Howard and Harden don't believe in them. But it's simply BAD because there is even a controversy or concern about how its perceived. Those type of comments should all be a clear cut 100% open interpretation as positive support for the team and its new additions.

Something like "We have a lot of guys that can step up and fill those spots" or I would be fulls supportive of even throwing Parsons under the bus and saying "I think Ariza can more than makeup for the losses because he's a better defender and veteran with championship experience". Harden and Howard's comments were just foolish with no thought of anyone but themselves or how they would be looked at by anyone else.

Ariza's Better
07-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Wait, a month ago we all made fun of ric bucher and said never to believe anything he says, but now we are ok with him. So sum up:
Ric bucher is always wrong until it's related to the rockets then it's gospel.
PSD logic

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Umm actually you top of pg 2.. When you said he said that because he was trying to stay confident. How do you know that? Seems to me Harden doesn't need any confidence if anything I'd say he has too much. How do you know he doesnt really believe that role players are just that and everyone except Harden and Howard can be replaced? Your buddy Mightybosstone also said what Harden meant was to take the shine off the team and put it on them. How does he know that? I mean come on what was said is said and that's a fact. Nothing more nothing less both of them look like *** right now but that doesn't mean they can't change or get better or even at min fire their PR people. I understand being extra sensitive bc the off season was bad for you guys and yes some of the Houston hate has been a tad bit to far. At least your team has been relavent in the pass 35 years the warriors have not aside from the early 90s and now, and I have no problem in saying that bc it's a fact.

Um. I was talking about HOWARD. He gave the standard we'll be fine answer. How is that not to be understood as confidence in one's ability?

I never claimed I knew hardens intentions of saying role players.

Sactown
07-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Until players come out and say they don't like the idea of playing for Morey or next to Dwight and Harden , this is just more media hoopla that they're pushing since its the dead season ....

Non story IMO.. they aren't the first nor the last players to appear arrogant

nickdymez
07-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Op pretty much told the mods to F off. Lol.

bgdreton
07-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Um. I was talking about HOWARD. He gave the standard we'll be fine answer. How is that not to be understood as confidence in one's ability?

I never claimed I knew hardens intentions of saying role players.

Ok well Howard said loosing Parsons won't affect us at all... Hmmm ok you say confidence I say undervaluing a player that brought a lot to the table especially spacing for you.. Loosing a 13th man on a roster sure won't affect us at all but a solid starter like Parsons has been for you guys sure will. Sure you could perceive confidence but overwhelmingly it seems like he didn't appreciate what Parsons brought to the table. If howard cared he would have elaborated his stance on that but he didn't.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Something like "We have a lot of guys that can step up and fill those spots" or I would be fulls supportive of even throwing Parsons under the bus and saying "I think Ariza can more than makeup for the losses because he's a better defender and veteran with championship experience". Harden and Howard's comments were just foolish with no thought of anyone but themselves or how they would be looked at by anyone else.

:laugh: This is clearly the post of someone who does not know what he's talking about. What you just said is extremely similar to the comments that Howard made in the first place. This is a verbatim quote from Howard about Ariza and his teammates:

"He'll go through a wall for you. Just to have soldiers on your team like that is great. We have that one-two punch with me and James. We're filling out our roster with guys who are willing to go through that wall and doing whatever it takes to win."

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Nothing like watching 2 B list players parade around like A listers. Lol
This

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
This

But what does that even mean? What is the difference between a "B-List" NBA player and an "A-List" NBA player? If Harden and Howard are both top 15 caliber guys, does that not qualify them as A-listers? I just don't see how that point has any relevance whatsoever.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Ok well Howard said loosing Parsons won't affect us at all... Hmmm ok you say confidence I say undervaluing a player that brought a lot to the table especially spacing for you.. Loosing a 13th man on a roster sure won't affect us at all but a solid starter like Parsons has been for you guys sure will. Sure you could perceive confidence but overwhelmingly it seems like he didn't appreciate what Parsons brought to the table. If howard cared he would have elaborated his stance on that but he didn't.

You're taking what he said... then claiming to know what he's thinking by saying he didn't appreciate parsons.

How is that any different than me thinking he's just being confident?

we both feel differently based off of a few lines.

Difference is, I KNOW parsons isn't upset or mad about it based off of his quote in regards to Dwight.

dannyy08
07-29-2014, 06:51 PM
But while Howard's comments defended his own team, I felt like Harden's comments kind of took a bit of a shot at his own teammates.

I agree. Perhaps both statements, to be fair, should be looked at differently.

kobebabe
07-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Ariza did.

I bet you they wouldn't have considered coming in if those 2 wannabe superstars had said that prior to their signing or considering to sign. Total disrespect

Htownballa1622
07-29-2014, 07:00 PM
I bet you they wouldn't have considered coming in if those 2 wannabe superstars had said that prior to their signing or considering to sign. Total disrespect

Idk nor do I care because I'm not living in hypothetical land.

goingfor28
07-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Guess not everyone got the memo about the "Be-Nice-to-Houston" rule.
:laugh2:

Goose17
07-29-2014, 07:17 PM
But what does that even mean? What is the difference between a "B-List" NBA player and an "A-List" NBA player? If Harden and Howard are both top 15 caliber guys, does that not qualify them as A-listers? I just don't see how that point has any relevance whatsoever.

Don't you know?

Lebron and Durant are A-listers. The rest of the top 15-20 are B-listers (LOL, Blisters!) and everyone else is an insignificant role player that is easily replaced by Trevor Ariza.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 07:19 PM
It's sort of like an elementary school... kids get told to stop bullying a kid, and everyone ends up bullying them more. This just isn't nice at all... what a bunch of A-holes.

kobebabe
07-29-2014, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Htownballa1622;28860736]You're taking what he said... then claiming to know what he's thinking by saying he didn't appreciate parsons.

How is that any different than me thinking he's just being confident?

we both feel differently based off of a few lines.

Difference is, I KNOW parsons isn't upset or mad about it based off of his quote in regards to Dwight.[/QUOTE

Sports Illustrator
07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Please see below:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?872163-Houston-Rockets-Hate-Threads