PDA

View Full Version : I have to say it

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Ok, I'm not the biggest conspiracy guy but was magic given the cure to HIV? It's almost like it never even happened. It's been well over 20 years and the guy is perfectly healthy and hasn't got aids yet. I just find it odd. At this rate he'll be the longest living human to ever get HIV. I'm not buying it, what do you guys think?

effen5
07-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Didn't u watch southpark? If you inject yourself with 100k it cures hiv

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
I think I read an article a year or two ago about how HIV and/or Aids is no longer the death sentence it used to be. I want to say it was something like more than 90% of the people diagnosed with HIV or Aids live decades after they test positive.

Dade County
07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Black mafia... Hidden Hand

abe_froman
07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
when you have the kind of money he has you can afford the best doctors and treatments in the world

...also the advancements in treatments over the past 25 years or so make it not uncommon for cases like magic ,the conversion from hiv to aids isnt as automatic anymore( if you get the right meds and stick to the regiment)

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-29-2014, 02:36 PM
I think I read an article a year or two ago about how HIV and/or Aids is no longer the death sentence it used to be. I want to say it was something like more than 90% of the people diagnosed with HIV or Aids live decades after they test positive.

Well I'm sure modern medicine will add time to your life, but magi got HIV in91. We didn't know too much about it at that time.

mudvayne387
When money is no option, you get the best doctors in the world. When you get the best doctors in the world, you receive the best treatment out there. When you receive the best treatment out there, you are able to overcome things that the average person cannot.

Big Zo
Have you been counting down the days until the poor guy dies or something?

brandt
07-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Ok, I'm not the biggest conspiracy guy but was magic given the cure to HIV? It's almost like it never even happened. It's been well over 20 years and the guy is perfectly healthy and hasn't got aids yet. I just find it odd. At this rate he'll be the longest living human to ever get HIV. I'm not buying it, what do you guys think?

Is this really thread worthy? Your not buying it? When you have enough money to pay for the best medicine available, you do whatever you can. Since day one he has been taking medicine to prevent it from getting worse.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 02:42 PM

Correct.

If HIV is detected before the immune function is compromised and you can ensure viral suppression, you can potentially live for a very long time. HIV is not the death sentence it once was (not going to bother discussing aids for now). Antiretroviral therapy is greater now than it has ever been, there's a lot of people who contracted HIV in he early-mid 80s still alive today.

There are even people (rare as they may be) who have lived with HIV for a couple of decades now without any Antiretroviral drugs. That's very rare though. Very rare.

NYKnickFanatic
07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Illuminati.

goingfor28
07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Goose17
07-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Well I'm sure modern medicine will add time to your life, but magi got HIV in91. We didn't know too much about it at that time.

A lot of therapies were available by the mid-90s. Especially to the rich.

InRoseWeTrust
07-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Goose17 pretty much sums it up.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Correct.

If HIV is detected before the immune function is compromised and you can ensure viral suppression, you can potentially live for a very long time. HIV is not the death sentence it once was (not going to bother discussing aids for now). Antiretroviral therapy is greater now than it has ever been, there's a lot of people who contracted HIV in he early-mid 80s still alive today.

There are even people (rare as they may be) who have lived with HIV for a couple of decades now without any Antiretroviral drugs. That's very rare though. Very rare.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew someone would have an answer to my question.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Actually, as grim and as awful as it sounds, the biggest problem with HIV now is that people aren't dying, the infected pool is growing and growing, therefore there is more infected people to infect others.

Now that they have treatments for HIV, they are working more on the prevention of the spread of HIV. You can sometimes prevent someone who has been exposed to HIV from becoming HIV positive through certain treatments (google pre-exposure prophylaxis if you want to learn more)

Riodagoat
07-29-2014, 03:01 PM
And this is why you need to do a little bit of research.
There is no cure for HIV, but you can treat and manage it. He receives antiretroviral drugs to keep the virus in check to prevent his immune system from deteriorating.
If you ever wonder why this isn't more mainstream, it's because only a small fraction of people in the world can actually afford it. When it first came out, treatment would cost around $1500 every 3-4 days of treatment. And that was decades ago, so you have to consider inflation.

ManRam
07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I believe that Magic has HIV and that it has never gone away. That would be truly bizarre. I may be wrong, but that's the last I remember reading. He takes drugs every day to combat it from turning into AIDS. This is something that is available to the masses via well-known drugs. You can treat HIV pretty darn well these days. It is super expensive, for sure. But it isn't a secret that only Magic has access to.

Now, did he benefit at a time where less was known and treatment was much less successful/completely impossible? Perhaps. Money does make a difference. But if you think there is a cure that only Magic Johnson and other ultra-rich people have access to, well that's a reach. How does that benefit these drug companies? It's doesn't. All they care about are dollar signs and a cure would be dollar signs galore.

It certainly isn't true that money can get you what you need to beat any disease that there just isn't a cure for. Having more can certainly help, but if cures are out there I have a hard time believing they're withheld from the public intentionally.

jaydubb
07-29-2014, 03:04 PM
I have HIV :shrug:

thechom80
07-29-2014, 03:05 PM
He got them dollars.

Hawkeye15
07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
he has been able to afford a very healthy lifestyle, and the best medication on the market for his disease is why.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 03:24 PM
lol, thank god I live in the U.K... free medical care bruh.

Hawkeye15
07-29-2014, 03:28 PM
lol, thank god I live in the U.K... free medical care bruh.

not really.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 03:44 PM
not really.

Sure it's covered through taxes. Fact is its a much better system than what america has. Everyone here gets treated for everything regardless. None of this "you can't have a life saving operation because you're poor" malarkey.

smith&wesson
07-29-2014, 03:49 PM

Its not a dumb question... but the short answer is HIV is not full blown aids. it is possible to survive HIV.

smith&wesson
07-29-2014, 03:51 PM
he has been able to afford a very healthy lifestyle, and the best medication on the market for his disease is why.

if he had full blown aids, that wouldnt matter. thankfully for him, he didnt and was able to sustain his health.

god be with those who arent as fortunate.

Thumper 88
07-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Well that plane shot down by the Russian backed rebels isn't going to help find a cure, there were quite a few AIDS researchers/scientists on board

setman2000
07-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Obamacare!!!

Hawkeye15
07-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Sure it's covered through taxes. Fact is its a much better system than what america has. Everyone here gets treated for everything regardless. None of this "you can't have a life saving operation because you're poor" malarkey.

don't care to get into politics, but I don't agree with a single word in your post.

PurpleLynch
07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
That SP's episode explained why :D

Anyway,HIV is not lethal at all right now(in Europe treatments are available to pretty much everyone) and in the '90 there were good treatments if you could afford it.And Magic did.

ghettosean
07-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Didn't u watch southpark? If you inject yourself with 100k it cures hiv

Beat me to it... that was hilarious and unfortunate somewhat true for a lot of diseases.

Shareeb_omac2
07-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah but no one trusts Morey, Harden can't defend, and Howard is an immature sorry leader.

This is a joke. Don't report me.

Shady66
07-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive

Goose17
07-29-2014, 07:14 PM
don't care to get into politics, but I don't agree with a single word in your post.

Are you even familiar with the British healthcare system?

If you don't want to get into it, don't reply ;)

Kenny Powders
07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Illuminati.

Bingo Bango Bongo

Ollie Tabooger
07-29-2014, 09:27 PM
You tellin me if my Grandma was in the NBA, right now she would be okay?

2-ONE-5
07-29-2014, 10:34 PM

im not a conspiracy guy either but think is. i made a casual mention of it in a thread a few months ago actually. considering the day and age when he apparently had it, it just doesnt really add up

JdKing7
07-29-2014, 10:56 PM
I think it's just a coincidence. I watched a few educational videos on it for school and they were pretty old. Probably from the 90's, so it's not like they weren't capable to treat at all. Some people respond well to the treatment while others not so much. Everyone is different and the fact that he is Magic Johnson puts his individual case under a microscope. It just so happens that he is one of the "fortunate" infected individuals.

MrfadeawayJB
07-29-2014, 11:24 PM
He gets blood transfusion everyday

thechom80
07-30-2014, 01:35 AM
You tellin me if my Grandma was in the NBA, right now she would be okay?

Depends. Would she play for Houston?

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-30-2014, 02:29 AM
How did he contract hiv with a magic Johnson? Guess it's not so magical after all

Raps08-09 Champ
07-30-2014, 02:29 AM
They don't call him Magic because of his basketball skills.

jp611
07-30-2014, 04:29 AM

With the many antiretrovirals out today, HIV is no longer the death sentence it used to be. In fact, most people who are diagnosed with HIV will die from something other than HIV or AIDS.

Even low-income HIV patients aren't given death sentences. Medication compliance is the most important factor.

jp611
07-30-2014, 04:33 AM
Are you even familiar with the British healthcare system?

If you don't want to get into it, don't reply ;)

There's no point.

'MURRICA is the best, except for the PC pussification.

That's all you'll get.

jp611
07-30-2014, 04:36 AM
im not a conspiracy guy either but think is. i made a casual mention of it in a thread a few months ago actually. considering the day and age when he apparently had it, it just doesnt really add up

Except it all adds up.

Friend of mine's Dad contracted HIV in the early-mid 90's from a needle stick. He's still alive and well. No conspiracies.

smiddy012
07-30-2014, 04:44 AM

Maybe do some research before asking the nba forum about what is (today) a rather basic health question.

jp611
07-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Maybe do some research before asking the nba forum about what is (today) a rather basic health question.

Thanks, Obama.

ewing
07-30-2014, 09:16 AM

if its so basic for you why not just answer the question?