PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best value for their money on the court?

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Well, I did a thread about creating a team with a salary cap of 55 million, and it seems to have gotten a great response (thanks to all who have contributed).

I've enjoyed reading what everybody posted, but it go me thinking: who is the best value for their money?

Going over the teams that people made, KD and LBJ are obviously at the top in terms of who is most valuable. While Kobe, Melo and Amare (as well as others) are nowhere to be seen on any of the lists (unless I missed one).

Obviously Amare struggled with injury, but he was worth the money in his prime. Melo is IN his prime and nobody seems to be touching that, while Kobe (who is easily worth 30 mil just in terms of generating revenue) is also absent.

Guys that show up a lot? Miami's bench discount players: Ray Allen and Chris Andersen, as well as Nick Young and Reggie Evans.

Some guys on rookie contracts, such as Anthony Davis and Andre Dummond.

Klay Thompson popped up a lot, as did Stephen Curry and Joakim Noah.

I'm surprised I didn't see Chris Paul more, but he popped up a couple of times.

So I am just wondering, in terms of ON COURT production, who has the most bang for their buck? Feel free to offer a couple of lists. Obviously rookie contracts should be compared with each other and not veteran contracts. Maybe a list for deals over 8 million or so, one for discount vets and one for rookies as well.

IKnowHoops
07-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Lebron

Rookie Contracts
Paul George
Damien Lillard

kdspurman
07-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Bunch of guys come to mind. I'd say Kawhi just because that's fresh in my mind, without having to go look at other guys salaries.

Shammyguy3
07-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Outside of the obvious Lebron/Durant:
Stephen Curry
James Harden
Paul George
Anthony Davis
Joakim Noah/Tim Duncan

i feel offer the most at their positions per $ (excluding Lebron/Durant obviously)

tredigs
07-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Curry easily. Produce top 5 value and does not crack the top 40 contracts (on a deal through 2017).

Rookie contracts are a separate matter.

JEDean89
07-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Anthony Davis had a top 5 PER on a rookie contract.

Vinylman
07-28-2014, 05:27 PM
in no particular order

amare, kobe, Dwil, JJ

NYKNYGNYY
07-28-2014, 06:09 PM
I'd have to put Noah up there.... No reason to say lebron or Durant or rookie deals

Seizabmc
07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Jr smith,
When he is focused , he can be a top 5 Sg.
And I have a strong feeling that Phil Jackson will help him stay focused.

TrueFan420
07-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Stephen Curry
James Harden
Paul George
Anthony Davis
Joakim Noah/Tim Duncan

i feel offer the most at their positions per $ (excluding Lebron/Durant obviously)
You could easily add dirk to that list he's declined a little but he's making nothing compared to what he brings to his team. Especially if he was on a better team where he could cost during the reg season and just show up in the playoffs.

TheSilentBang
07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Stephen Curry
James Harden
Paul George
Anthony Davis
Joakim Noah/Tim Duncan

Curious that you said Harden. He makes the max doesn't he? How is that underpaid/"best value"?

He seems a bit overpaid to me considering he's only useful on one end of the floor but even if you point at how efficient he is, you can still only say that he's on a "fair" contract.

Dwight has a higher chance of being "best value for their money" than Harden imo.

TDjacksonville
07-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I dont get why no love for robin lopez. Dude was top 20 in winshares and played solid for 5 and change last year.

elledaddy
07-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Gregg Popovich

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2014, 11:31 PM
The most valuable players per dollar are usually the top guys on rookie contracts. For the price of LeBron James ($21.1 million per year), you could have Andre Drummond ($2.46 million), Anthony Davis ($5.61 million), Kawhi Leonard ($2.89 million), Bradley Beal ($4.51 million) and Damian Lillard ($3.34 million), with nearly $1.2 million to spare.

chitownbulls
07-29-2014, 02:49 AM
Underrated but Boozer on the Lakers has great value for money. He's a 16/10 guy if he plays 30 min, and for what, like 3 mil?

goingfor28
07-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Kawhi nuff said
Reggie Evans master rebounder
Lillard nuff said
Dirk and Timmy w their new contracts
Jusy off the top of my head

Duncan = Donkey
07-29-2014, 03:48 AM
Dragic - ALL NBA 3rd team - 7.5 Mill

GREATNESS ONE
07-29-2014, 04:03 AM
Me. ONE.

Goose17
07-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Dragic and Curry seem like the obvious picks too me.

Tucker up until his new deal, now he's getting paid fair value to his talents (where as I would argue the likes of Steph and Dragic are underpaid when you look at the current market and what players like them can make).

Ty Lawson deserves a shout out. I also think Nate does, small guys seem to be getting underpaid. Isaiah has a decent contract too. Shout out to Phoenix front office lol.

PurpleLynch
07-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Curry,Leonard,Dragic,Davis,Lillard,Drummond.

PhillyFaninLA
07-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Tony Parker and Noah

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Aside from rookie contracts obviously, I think the most value comes at the PG position. Because the position is so stacked, I think it's becoming harder and harder to justify a max contract for a PG. Look at this offseason. Lowry is coming off a phenomenal year where if he played any other position he's probably getting a max. Instead he takes $12 million a year. Eric Bledsoe looks poised to be a superstar and is every bit as good as Hayward and Parsons, who were both offered essentially max money as RFA. He hasn't received anything remotely close to that.

So a long answer to a short question is that top 10-15 PGs are the best value. Here are some of the best value PGs that aren't on rookie contracts:
Tony Parker - $12.5 million
Kyle Lowry - $12 million
Stephen Curry - $10.6 million
Mike Conley - $8.8 million
Jeff Teague - $8 million
Goran Dragic - $7.5 million
Patrick Beverley - $915k

sixer04fan
07-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Nick Young was showing up a lot on the create a team thread? Lol what the hell is wrong with this forum

Steelers23_06
07-29-2014, 09:13 AM
by far lebron. due to the CBA he cant make nearly as much as he should. he is making the city of cleveland $500 million per year projected and that number should only go up if the cavs get a 'ship. off merchandising, ticket sales, advertising he makes his owner soooo much money. you know micky arison's pockets are hurting soooo bad right now from losing lebron (even though he prob will make more this year than all of psd users will make combined lol). especially when you look at baseball/soccer contracts. the most iconic player in all of sports in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world isnt even a top 5 biggest contract in the league and has never been the highest paid player on his team. now thats value!

Goose17
07-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Completely forgot about Beverley and Mike Conley, both are good deals. Beverley especially. There's not a lot of All-defensive second team guys you can get on a minimum contract.

Steelers23_06
07-29-2014, 09:19 AM
but other than lebron you can easily say al jefferson. he made his team a playoff team while avg 21/10. good big man are damn-near extinct in today's league and they have a game-changing one for a bargain price of 13.5 million per year

Thumper 88
07-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Dirk at 8.3m has to be top5 I would think

ThuglifeJ
07-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Vince was a great value the last 2 seasons at 3 mil a year...somewhere I read that he was the best value per buck in the league. Think how little 3 mil is to these guys..

Now that he got a raise I want to say Dirk but he looked in start of decline....idk enough about contracts to say. Leonard, Noah?

Lebron obviously was past years when you compare his contract to other stars.

Thumper 88
07-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Actually Dirk was better this last season if you look at his stats

I think people believe because Dirk is getting older he is declining every year

hugepatsfan
07-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Everyone on the Rockets

Thumper 88
07-29-2014, 04:55 PM
^definitely

Goose17
07-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Everyone on the Rockets

I agree. The Rockets are incredible and flawless as a team and as human beings, I admire them so much, everyone could learn from watching this team play.

MrfadeawayJB
07-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Homer pick Mike Conley

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I agree. The Rockets are incredible and flawless as a team and as human beings, I admire them so much, everyone could learn from watching this team play.

Be careful. I'm tempted to sig quote this. ;)

ThuglifeJ
07-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Actually Dirk was better this last season if you look at his stats

I think people believe because Dirk is getting older he is declining every year

I'm basing this off of playoffs. Didn't even recognize him and he didn't pull it together until slightly at the last game or 2..

goingfor28
07-29-2014, 08:43 PM
James Harden is the best defensive 2 guard in the league. Dwight is the definition of NBA role model. I don't have a single bad thing to say about the Houston rockets. Greatest organization in all of sports. Forever. And ever. And ever.

Arch Stanton
07-29-2014, 10:57 PM
by far lebron. due to the CBA he cant make nearly as much as he should. he is making the city of cleveland $500 million per year projected and that number should only go up if the cavs get a 'ship. off merchandising, ticket sales, advertising he makes his owner soooo much money. you know micky arison's pockets are hurting soooo bad right now from losing lebron (even though he prob will make more this year than all of psd users will make combined lol). especially when you look at baseball/soccer contracts. the most iconic player in all of sports in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world isnt even a top 5 biggest contract in the league and has never been the highest paid player on his team. now thats value!

I don't believe it's $500 million per year. It's $500 million projected if he finishes his career playing in CLE. So over 8-10 years.

ThuglifeJ
07-29-2014, 11:00 PM
James Harden is the best defensive 2 guard in the league. Dwight is the definition of NBA role model. I don't have a single bad thing to say about the Houston rockets. Greatest organization in all of sports. Forever. And ever. And ever.

The ONLY negative thing I could ever say about them is that they're just TOO darn humble :o

GodsSon
07-29-2014, 11:26 PM
DeMar DeRozan.

$9.5 mil per for a top 3, All-Star SG.

TylerSL
07-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Anthony Davis. The guy is definitely top 10, possibly in the 6-7 range and is making 5.6 million next year.

Goose17
07-30-2014, 08:23 AM
The ONLY negative thing I could ever say about them is that they're just TOO darn humble :o

There was this one time, in Houston, when pandas were about to become extinct and Dwight Howard led the team to China on horse back, they brokered a deal to have the Pandas saved and that's why Jeremy Lin is in L.A

If it wasn't for James Harden dedicating so much time to growing such an awesome beard, he never would have been able to go undercover and infiltrate Al Qaeda so they could kill Osama and throw his corpse into the ocean.

Great people. I admire the Rockets and everything the team has done for the world.

MTar786
07-30-2014, 09:20 PM
beverly, nick young. matt barnes when he was a laker and magic