PDA

View Full Version : A Decision Regarding Ownership Of The Clippers To Be Made At 2 PM

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
The judge announced the shocking news that a verbal (not written till later this week) decision on Sterling vs Sterling will be handed down after final closing statements at approximately 2 PM today. The trial was to determine whether Shelly made a legit sale basically and most believe Shelly is a heavy favorite to win the trial after nearly a month of court room battles. One lawyer said "Shelly has won every round pretty handily".

So what this means for those that haven't been following:

1. If Shelly wins as expected, the sale process with the NBA and Steve Ballmer will continue and the sale should be completed in 2-3 weeks according to most reports. Final paper work, NBA board of governor vote etc.

2. If Donald wins... the NBA will be forced to strip him of the team after being voted out by the board of governors. This will mean that the NBA will put the team up for bid and Ballmer may or may not be the owner. This process will likely take at least 2-3 months to complete. Donald has said he wants this route for two reasons.

A. It kills the sale with Ballmer. He wants to do this to get revenge against his wife for selling after he changed his mind.

B. He has publicly said that he prefers this route so that he can sue the NBA for 9 BILLION dollars, which will be a lot more than the 2 billion from Ballmer.

There are very few Clippers fans on this board, so I know many may not care or be worn out from this topic. Thing is this whole situation will affect the future of the entire NBA one way or another going forward. It will show other owners that not even the most litigious, nasty owner in the NBA is not bigger than the sport itself. As Mark Cuban said "It could become a slippery slope" for NBA owners and the league.

Also it will end any talk of players boycotting games (assuming Sterling remains owner). Although many think that may be a bluff when you have guys like Lebron saying he would consider sitting out games, you know you have a problem that needs to be addressed immediately.

P&GRealist
07-28-2014, 03:47 PM
A little over an hour left! :dance:

king4day
07-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Pacific timezone correct?

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 04:25 PM
^^^yes otherwise it would have already happened. ;)

king4day
07-28-2014, 04:31 PM
^^^yes otherwise it would have already happened. ;)

Well played. Probably would have been a bit more chatter :)

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 04:38 PM
http://www.si.com/nba/video/2014/07/28/sterling-causing-uncertain-clippers-future

SI's Michael McCann.. a sports lawyer who's been all over the case. Basically talking about what would happen if Sterling wins and how the bidding process would work. What kind of money a bid would likely fetch.

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Well played. Probably would have been a bit more chatter :)

:laugh2:

Besides I think it's pretty well known that Donald is most likely going to lose this case anyway.. He doesn't have much of a case, if any, and all reports have suggested that his team is getting killed by Shelly's team. Id be VERY surprised to hear Donald win, if he does PSD and the sports world will completely blow up

Pierzynski4Prez
07-28-2014, 04:39 PM
If he wins, I think this is going to be terrible for the league. Absolutely terrible. Mainly because I don't think the owners will vote him out. My opinion is they will be afraid that a simple recorded conversation that is thought to be private can strip them of their franchise if they say something wrong in the slightest, because how the media is these days (a joke).

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports now
If Shelly doesn't win 1310b, Donald can appeal, and who knows how long that'll take?

So essentially Shelly needs to win more than one battle (I believe 3). Other wise this can turn into a lengthy appeal process. In that scenario I'm pretty damn sure the NBA will just strip him of the team.

PS. 1310b is the judges right to invoke a clause that will prevent Donald from appealing anything and dragging this out. It's rarely used. Given the high profile situation and urgency of the case for the NBA/billionaires involved... it's being thrown around as a good possibility.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 53s
"Doc Rivers doesn't want to coach, Chris Paul doesn't want to play" - Pierce O'Donnell, liberally interpreting what's been said.

Jack Wang ‏@thejackwang 1m
Shelly Sterling's attorney Pierce O'Donnell citing Clippers' "death spiral" as the reason why the 1310(b) exception should be granted.

Pierce O'Donnell is Shelly's lawyer. I think the guy has a great point though. If Donald remains owner, the Clippers are going to be blown up for sure. Doc gone, players demanding trades, value of team plummeting. If he's ousted, they can be a feel good story for the NBA. Proof that the league will protect teams from these sort of horrible things.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Clippers should of boycotted the playoffs for a long term pay off probably. Donald's team is arguing now in closing that if the Clippers wouldn't even boycott during the peak of this controversy during the playoffs, why should the judge believe they will next season? Damn it..

kdspurman
07-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Clippers should of boycotted the playoffs for a long term pay off probably. Donald's team is arguing now in closing that if the Clippers wouldn't even boycott during the peak of this controversy during the playoffs, why should the judge believe they will next season? Damn it..

I personally don't think they will either. No one really sounded that adamant about it. I think the playoffs would have been ideal, but I understand them not doing it. I mean they still want to do what they love, they have families, and what not.

Boycotting during the playoffs would have been a very powerful message. But it would have been a tough decision to make. Just sort of a ****** position for them to be in.

FlashBolt
07-28-2014, 05:10 PM
soooo what happened

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
soooo what happened

Closing arguments ending in 1-2 minutes. It's running a bit over.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Kevin Vaughan ‏@writerkev 6s
Donald Sterling's attorney: We fear sale will be done today if you don't stay it.

Vinylman
another anitclimatic clippers86 thread

goingfor28
La Dee da Dee deeeee lalalalala hurry up court!

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Kevin Vaughan ‏@writerkev 17s
Judge: "A lot of good arguments" on all these issues. LA #Clippers @FOXSports1 @FOXSportsLive @AmericasPregame

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 29s
Oral tentative statement of decision will go on over the next hour.

So it should be decided around 3. Unless 1310b is inacted though, it can be appealed potentially.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:16 PM
another anitclimatic clippers86 thread

Another post by Vinylman in which he acts like a PMSing female and complains about the thread he took the time to not only go in, but also to respond to. You're definitely contributing a lot around here.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 11s
Judge said he found Shelly's testimony that Donald was losing capacity over the last three years to be credible.

Jack Wang ‏@thejackwang 1m
Judge Michael Levanas said the court does NOT find "compelling evidence" that there was a "Secret Plan B" to oust Donald Sterling.

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 14s
Court finds the two doctors Shelly had look at Donald were credible.

Jack Wang ‏@thejackwang 56s
Judge: Both Donald and Shelly Sterling expressed strong emotional sentiments toward each other in testimony -- despite "pig" outburst.

Big Zo
07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Is it wrong to pull for DS in hopes of making some of those players available for trade when they start boycotting? :)

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 7s
Court finds that Shelly was told to sell the team and that she and Donald agreed to sell the team.

Kim Baldonado ‏@KimNBCLA now
Judge - Donald willingly took part in exams by 2 doctors and asked Shelly to remain during them.

Nathan Fenno ‏@nathanfenno now
Judge: Shelly's testimony "far and away" more credible than Donald's.

Wow. Dagger?

Vinylman
07-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Another post by Vinylman in which he acts like a PMSing female and complains about the thread he took the time to not only go in, but also to respond to. You're definitely contributing a lot around here.

tell us more about how boozer is gonna be a SF... i am intrigued... your posts are spell bounding

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:24 PM
tell us more about how boozer is gonna be a SF... i am intrigued... your posts are spell bounding

The author of that LA times piece was definitely spell-bounding. Since you know.. it wasn't me who wrote it.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Shelly just won round 1. Which was did she sell the team legally and with the support of Donald initially. Without any sort of manipulation, with good intent etc. Now two more rounds/issues to go. Shelly needs to win all 3.

On first issue, Judge Levanas finds Shelly Sterling acted properly and as lone trustee when she agreed to sell Clippers to Steve Ballmer.

Jack Wang ‏@thejackwang now
Next point: If Shelly Sterling has the right to close the Clippers' sale even if Donald Sterling has revoked the trust.

Update: Shelly wins round two of three.

Kevin Vaughan ‏@writerkev now
Judge: Shelly Sterling "clearly had the authority" to sign sales agreement for LA #Clippers @FOXSports1 @FOXSportsLive @AmericasPregame

Judge says Shelly "clearly had to authority" to engage in contract with Ballmer.

Judge now deciding on final issue.. which makes or breaks this sale. 1310b. The right for Donald to appeal this ruling and drag sale out.

goingfor28
07-28-2014, 05:36 PM
DTS die yet?

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Judge leaning towards enacting 1310b!!! Make the right decision judge! The team will retire a jersey of yours.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Kim Baldonado ‏@KimNBCLA now
Judge - if court doesn't protect $2 billion offer with 1310b order trust would lose $400 million

1310 b is looking good for Shelly Sterling so far. Judge says trust will lose $400 million if provision isn't used.

Judge seems to be leaning in favor of granting Shelly's 1310(b) request. Would be game over for Donald. #Clippers #NBA

BANG!

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Clippers win. 1310b enacted. Donald Sterling's reign is over. Tears of joy flowing. 15 years of loyalty repaid.

Big Zo
07-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Dammit! Lol

Cracka2HI!
07-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Oh Good Lord, please let it really be over this time! Nice work covering this CF.

JEDean89
07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
**** yes judge, this case was hurting the Clippers players, coaches, management and fans to the point where he had to be ruled against. now he can collect his 2 bil, and we can all move on from the crazy old billionaire making outlandish comments.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Oh Good Lord, please let it really be over this time! Nice work covering this CF.

NP. I was refreshing the **** out of Twitter, not gonna lie. It's definitely over. 1310b= judge automatically overrules any potential appeal. It's a KO for Donald and even his lawyers said enacting 1310b would be a death blow.

Clippersfan86
07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/upload-pics/clippers/4631_image_150.jpg

DallasTrilla23
07-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Awesome! Glad this is over and done, if I was a clippers fan I would be very excited because with Sterling goes the terrible history they had.

kobe4thewinbang
07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Can we get back to basketball now?

:hope:

goingfor28
07-28-2014, 06:15 PM
http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/upload-pics/clippers/4631_image_150.jpg
That is fantastic hahahaha. Now just get Sam Cassell on the staff as well

RaiderLakersA's
07-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm glad that this is finally over. This was the best possible end to this quite honestly pathetic ordeal.

Mr.B
07-28-2014, 08:31 PM
If he wins, I think this is going to be terrible for the league. Absolutely terrible. Mainly because I don't think the owners will vote him out. My opinion is they will be afraid that a simple recorded conversation that is thought to be private can strip them of their franchise if they say something wrong in the slightest, because how the media is these days (a joke).
They better get ready for that anyways! About a month ago it was being reported that Donald Sterling hired 3 of the P.I. firms to dig up dirt on all the NBA owners, Silver and David Stern. So when all of the legal part is said and done that's when the dirt will really start to fly!