PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Official #14 Player of All Time

ManRam
07-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Voting for #13 has concluded and PSD's Official #13 NBA Player of all time is....

Moses Malone

20.3 PPG / 7.5 RPG / 12.3 APG / .495 FG / 22.0 PER / 179.1 WS

Achievements:

13 time All-Star
1983 Finals MVP & NBA Champion
3 Time MVP
Lead the League in Rebounds 6x

Voting

Moses Malone 17
Jerry West 12
Julius Erving 7
Charles Barkley 4
Karl Malone 3
Dwyane Wade 2
David Robinson 2
Kevin Garnett 1
Dirk Nowitzki 1
John Stockton 1
Rick Barry 0
Elgin Baylor 0
Clyde Drexler 0
Scottie Pippen 0
Isiah Thomas 0

The List:

1. Michael Jordan (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?868731-PSD-s-Official-1-Player-of-All-Time)
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?868922-PSD-s-Official-2-NBA-Player-of-All-Time)
3. Wilt Chamberlain (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?869144-PSD-s-Official-3-Player-of-All-Time)
4. Magic Johnson (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?869307-PSD-s-Official-4-Player-of-All-Time)
5. Shaquille O'neal (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?869509-PSD-s-Official-5-NBA-Player-of-All-Time)
6. Tim Duncan (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?869984-PSD-s-Official-6-NBA-Player-of-All-Time)
7. Hakeem Olajuwan (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870218-PSD-s-Official-7-Player-of-All-Time)
8. LeBron James (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870493-PSD-s-Official-8-Player-of-All-Time&p=28768479#post28768479)
9. Larry Bird (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870796-PSD-s-Official-9-Player-of-All-Time)
10. Kobe Bryant (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?871131-PSD-s-Official-10-Player-of-All-Time)
11. Bill Russell (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?871367-PSD-s-Official-11-Player-of-All-Time)
12. Oscar Robertson (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?871648-PSD-s-Official-12-Player-of-All-Time)
13. Moses Malone (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?871865-PSD-s-Official-13-Player-of-All-Time)

Please vote, explain and nominate...per the usual.

ABOMB_56
07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
ManRam, I believe Moses's stats are incorrect in the OP.. From BR, I see him at 20.3/12.3 RPG/1.3 APG

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Voting for #13 has concluded and PSD's Official #13 NBA Player of all time is....

Moses Malone

20.3 PPG / 7.5 RPG / 12.3 APG / .495 FG / 22.0 PER / 179.1 WS

Achievements:

[I]13 time All-Star
1983 Finals MVP & NBA Champion
3 Time MVP
Lead the League in Rebounds .

Wow Moses was a much better passer than I realized.

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Jerry West here.

10x All-NBA first team.
Elite 2way player.
Led his team to numerous finals trips.
NBA Finals MVP.

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Moses Malone=best passer of all time haha

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Jerry West here.

10x All-NBA first team.
Elite 2way player.
NBA Finals MVP.
:nod:

Chronz
07-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Easily West, hes neck and neck with Big O, they cant be too far apart.

sixers247
07-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Jerry West here.

10x All-NBA first team.
Elite 2way player.
NBA Finals MVP.

This

FlashBolt
07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Do you guys think JordansBulls is serious with these Wade votes?

Chronz
07-28-2014, 12:35 PM
A sixers fan has agreed with the West selection......

Can any Doc supporter elaborate on what makes him stand out?

Doc was a mythical figure, like Wilt in many ways, but he had his chances to win, he had the talent around him more often than West and didn't really come as close IMO. To me thats what it comes down to when 2 players won their championships in similar fashion and the rest of their resume is equally appealing.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Lol he just wants him as high as possible so he can say "oh look, Lebron played with the 14th best player of all time".

Raidaz4Life
07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Karl Malone

Shammyguy3
07-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Once West gets off the board, i think the next tier includes Marlone/Erving/Robinson

Ebbs
07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
For me it's the Admiral.

7 year prime 26-12-3-3
27.8 PER over that stretch. .260 WS/48

2x Champion
MVP
Defensive Player of the Year
Rookie of the year
4x All NBA first team in the golden era of big men.
4x all nba defense first team

71 point game!!!!

Absolute beast at both ends + positional bias gives him this vote for me.

Ebbs
07-28-2014, 03:24 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=ervinju01&y1=1987&p2=westje01&y2=1974

Also are we sure West is better than Dr.J?

Bruno
07-28-2014, 03:25 PM
what are we going to do after west? getting interesting again.

Ebbs
07-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Should be Admiral before either.

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=ervinju01&y1=1987&p2=westje01&y2=1974

At age 21 Doc averaged 27ppg / 16rpg. Then at age 26 he's averaging 22ppg / 9rpg. Pretty unusual wouldn't you say?

If Doc's 5 best seasons all didn't come in the ABA and inflate those career numbers maybe I'd be more inclined to agree with you that there should be a debate.

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Nominate Bob Cousy.

Ebbs
07-28-2014, 05:24 PM
At age 21 Doc averaged 27ppg / 16rpg. Then at age 26 he's averaging 22ppg / 9rpg. Pretty unusual wouldn't you say?

If Doc's 5 best seasons all didn't come in the ABA and inflate those career numbers maybe I'd be more inclined to agree with you that there should be a debate.

I voted for Admiral anyway. But just saying the numbers are similar.

Nominate George Gervin

YAALREADYKNO
07-28-2014, 05:47 PM
jerry west>dr.j

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 05:58 PM
I voted for Admiral anyway. But just saying the numbers are similar.

Nominate George Gervin

It doesn't bother you at all that Robinson became a shell of himself in the playoffs?

THE MTL
07-28-2014, 06:28 PM

You failed to mentioned that his shot attempts dropped 6 shots per game. But check his later years and he goes right back up to 23-27ppg 7-8rpg 4.5apg 2bpg.

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 07:38 PM
You failed to mentioned that his shot attempts dropped 6 shots per game. But check his later years and he goes right back up to 23-27ppg 7-8rpg 4.5apg 2bpg.

Do you think it is equitable to compare stats accumulated in the ABA and stats accumulated in the NBA?

Ebbs
07-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Do you think it is equitable to compare stats accumulated in the ABA and stats accumulated in the NBA?

You can argue that a few ways.

Raidaz4Life
07-28-2014, 07:55 PM
I love the Robinson case here as well. Still don't feel there is enough longevity for Robinson to match Malone at this position.

unleashthebeast
07-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Logo!!!!

After this it should be interesting :)

KnicksorBust
07-28-2014, 10:10 PM

You can argue that a few ways.

Right. I agree. In a debate there are typically multiple possible opinions. Thanks for pointing that out. If you want to actually take a stab at one let me know. :)

JLynn943
07-29-2014, 12:55 AM

Well, when I click on that link, I see that West scored 14,762 points per 100 possessions in the playoffs. That's pretty decent.

TheSilentBang
07-29-2014, 03:11 AM
I'm a bit curious as to why Dirk is on the list but not Kidd or Nash...

Ebbs
07-29-2014, 06:02 AM

Because he's better than Kidd or Nash?

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 08:15 AM

This is what I came in here to say. His stats were significantly better before he came to the NBA, and if he hadn't peaked in the ABA, I'd be voting for Erving here instead of West. That being said, I'll almost certainly vote for Dr. J in the next poll.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 08:17 AM
I nominate Kevin McHale, John Havlicek and Chris Paul.

YAALREADYKNO
07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

he's better than both of those guys thats why lol

Longhornfan1234
07-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I nominate Kevin McHale, John Havlicek and Chris Paul.

LOL at CP3 mentioned this early.

Chronz
07-29-2014, 11:56 AM
After West is off the board, the next best SG imo is Wade, but I think its too early for him to be in play.

Julius is the best SF left
D-Rob is the next best C

PG and PF are a toss up but I dont think any PG remaining can stand up to these bigger guys.

That leaves

Dirk, Chuck, Malone, KG, Pettit battling it with Doc and D-Rob....

Am I missing anyone?

And yes Man Ram, I nominate Pettit.

To me Karl Malone might be the clear cut guy I wouldn't take. Not an overly impactful defender throughout much of his prime, his offensive value is somewhat artificially enhanced by Stockton IMO and I cant think of too many dominant playoff showings that overtake what the others have done. Whats he got left? Alot of regular season success and killer longevity. Ill take the shorter career if he performed at a higher level IMO.

sixers247
07-29-2014, 12:19 PM
After West is off the board, the next best SG imo is Wade, but I think its too early for him to be in play.

D-Rob is the next best C

PG and PF are a toss up but I dont think any PG remaining can stand up to these bigger guys.

That leaves

Am I missing anyone?

To me Karl Malone might be the clear cut guy I wouldn't take. Not an overly impactful defender throughout much of his prime, his offensive value is somewhat artificially enhanced by Stockton IMO and I cant think of too many dominant playoff showings that overtake what the others have done. Whats he got left? Alot of regular season success and killer longevity. Ill take the shorter career if he performed at a higher level IMO.

Agree with this. Think next I would pick between Dr J, Barkley or KG. Gotta look into it a little deeper.

Chronz
07-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Just noticed hes not on here, I nominate John Havlicek...

There are certain players/careers that I feel need to be linked. Hondo and Doc must go in subsequent votes with Elgin not far off. Damn its gonna get tight now that we are left with no clear cut combinations of prime/peak/resume.

D-Rob is probably the strongest statistical monster left but his offensive game dramatically shriveled in the playoffs, and his prime was relatively short, still, he won 2 championships and his defense was a powering force in both of them. I feel like if we ranked championship seasons, D-Robs first ring will be overlooked by title runs by Dirk, KG among others, but I feel like that was his last hurrah as a star, VERY similar to the titles won by the players above. People put too much emphasis on the lockout effect, playoffs are what matter more than regular season stretches.

Hondo probably has the best resume, 11xAll-NBA (13x All-Star), 8 Ringz, a Finals MVP, 8 All-Defensive teams (they werent around early in his career), practically perfected the 6th-Man position so he would have won a few of those as well. He won chips with Russell yes, but he actually elevated his play when Russ left and won without him as well. His only shortcoming is his lack of offensive efficiency but I get the feeling that was a result of the system he played under early in his career. Playing alongside a guy like Russell meant quick trigger shots, many coming off his own outlet passes or brush screens. Russ himself was not a great offensive player, the Celtics lost much of their offensive efficiency the year they added him, there were possessions where Russ didn't even cross half court early in his career, but the overwhelming net gain from forcing teams to deal with Russell defensively is why they won. Hondo sacrificed some of his individual efficiency by playing in a tireless system. He certainly had the motor for it. When Russ retired, the Celtics played a more conservative style that didn't win them games but enhanced Hondo's numbers. They would return to the playoffs within a year tho, and Hondo eventually led them back to the championship and very well could have pulled off a 3-peat had he had not lost his arm.

Karl Malone has the longevity argument going for him, a statistical monster in his own right. Like D-Rob, he faded in the playoffs, unlike D-Rob, his defense was rarely a powering force. And its not like he didn't have the help, he had Stockton boosting his efficiency and a DPOY backing him early (D-Rob would have won with that) and some great perimeter threats later in his career. I give Malone full credit for his longevity, but he also had perfect environment to help that. Both he and Stockton owe alot to each other but I feel like Stockton is far more underrated for his talent than Malone is. Malone did add to his legacy when he played with the Lakers IMO. He showed us that he could be a glue guy that can be a difference maker defensively when paired with the right cast. The team may not be an elite defensive team but good enough. Shame he was so injured but it was a fun experiment. Those Lakers were a juggernaut when he was healthy and spry.

Pettit is the guy with the best Peak Run IMO. Only Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone have more All-NBA 1st team selections, and those guys played forever in an era that is friendlier to the aging curve, Pettit accomplished this while coming in at age 22 and retiring by 33. Dirk is the guy hes most often compared to today but he was also considered a physical player. He won a title as his teams bona fide best player ala Dirk, but was actually more productive in the process (50Pts in the elimination win). He gets overlooked because Russell got injured and because he played in the 50's but the guy held up as the league evolved and injuries are part of the game.

Charles Barkley had a similarly dominant peak run, longer prime but he lacked the story, perhaps if MJ had gotten injured he would have. So because of that, I have Chuck on equal footing.

Prime Run is debatable and probably what wins this award.

Julius is the most popular player left but I dont know if hes the best choice.

Right now Im leaning

Hondo, Doc, Chuck/Pettit next. Baylor right there after. Im just trying to think of each player at his best and then see if I change my mind based on longevity and everything else. But Im having a hard time believing Hondo is the logical choice here. Some one talk me out of it.

D-Rob is the guy I'd like to take, even if he underachieved to the point of sadness. What do we reward at this point?

DR_1
07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
West here for me.

DR_1
07-29-2014, 02:01 PM

He is a bit of a Wade fanboy so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 03:56 PM
LOL at CP3 mentioned this early.

I don't think it's laughable at all. When you look at their career numbers and accomplishments, you could make a strong case for Paul over Stockton or Thomas on any all-time point guard list. I recently had a discussion with some other posters a while back and we made a pretty strong argument for Paul as a top 25-30 player all-time.

Personally, I don't think he should remotely be considered in the top 15. But that's not why I nominated him. I nominated him, because you could make a strong case for him over Stockton and Thomas, then he has every right to be on the poll with them. I'm sure you can understand that.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 04:00 PM

D-Rob is the next best C

That leaves

Am I missing anyone?

I agree with pretty much everything said here and your subsequent post about Hondo deserving serious consideration in the next few rankings. After Erving, I think Hondo, Barkley, Robinson, KG and Dirk should probably round out the top 20 in some random order with Wade at least in that discussion. I wouldn't put Malone into that conversation, but he'll inevitably crack the top 25.

Longhornfan1234
07-29-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't think it's laughable at all. When you look at their career numbers and accomplishments, you could make a strong case for Paul over Stockton or Thomas on any all-time point guard list. I recently had a discussion with some other posters a while back and we made a pretty strong argument for Paul as a top 25-30 player all-time.

Personally, I don't think he should remotely be considered in the top 15. But that's not why I nominated him. I nominated him, because you could make a strong case for him over Stockton and Thomas, then he has every right to be on the poll with them. I'm sure you can understand that.

Please...make the case CP3 over Zeke or Stockton so I can destroy you.

Longhornfan1234
07-29-2014, 04:10 PM
PSD posters are big on advance stats(so am I), but they're willing to rank Malone outside of top 25? My mind is blown. Yes... we all know Malone choked in crucial moments in '97 Finals and '98 Finals...but it was against MJ/Pippen Bulls. I'm willing to give him a pass.

Longhornfan1234
07-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Erving
Baylor
Malone
Chuck
Admiral
Zeke
Hondo
KG
Dirk
Barry

Next 10 candidates. No other candidates should be available right now.

XpLiCiTT
07-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Erving
Baylor
Malone
Chuck
Admiral
Zeke
Hondo
KG
Dirk
Barry

I agree.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Please...make the case CP3 over Zeke or Stockton so I can destroy you.

PSD posters are big on advance stats(so am I)
You said you're big on advanced stats. If that's the case, you should be able to use those same stats to make that case for me. Paul has a solid edge over Stockton in PER and WS/48 and absolutely crushes Zeke in any legitimate advanced statistic. I'm not saying those are the only criteria worth using to judge players, but I certainly think you can make a case for Paul over those guys starting with that as a base.

Also, Paul was named to four All-NBA 1st teams despite playing in a PG dominant league while Zeke made only three and Stockton made only one. Paul also finished in the top five in MVP voting four times while Stockton and Zeke did that a combined one time their entire careers. And Paul has more All-Defensive team nominations (five) than Stockton and Thomas have combined (four). Although Paul gets crushed by both players in terms of longevity and career achievements, his peak is undeniably better and he's done as much as a player in a shorter period of time than both guys did in their entire careers.

You can certainly counter with Zeke's postseason success and Stockton's superiority as the league's greatest all-time passer (although Paul is second in all-time career AST%). And you'd have every right to. But that doesn't make those prior points any less legitimate, and it certainly doesn't mean that there's no justification whatsoever for someone who makes the argument that Paul should be ranked ahead of those guys.

YAALREADYKNO
07-29-2014, 05:19 PM
PSD posters are big on advance stats(so am I), but they're willing to rank Malone outside of top 25? My mind is blown. Yes... we all know Malone choked in crucial moments in '97 Finals and '98 Finals...but it was against MJ/Pippen Bulls. I'm willing to give him a pass.

you cant just always use jordan as an excuse for malone. If he'd hit those FT's maybe jordan is 5-1 in the finals and malone is a NBA champion but he didnt he missed them. Also jordan retired for 2 yrs and he lost to a 6th seeded rockets team. There isnt no shame in losing to hakeem but if hes as great as everyone claims him to be he wouldve stepped up when it really counted. Malone's had his chances but fell short everytime.

YAALREADYKNO
07-29-2014, 05:23 PM

man quit playing. Thomas is a finals mvp where as cp3 hasnt even gotten out of the 2nd round. Paul is closer to stockton but as of RIGHT NOW you'd still have to say stockton is the more accomplished player. Maybe when cp3 retires well have to see where his numbers stack up against stockton but he has a long way to go before catching either of those guys. More so thomas than stockton tho

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 05:30 PM
man quit playing. Thomas is a finals mvp where as cp3 hasnt even gotten out of the 2nd round. Paul is closer to stockton but as of RIGHT NOW you'd still have to say stockton is the more accomplished player. Maybe when cp3 retires well have to see where his numbers stack up against stockton but he has a long way to go before catching either of those guys. More so thomas than stockton tho

Postseason success has more to do with team play than it does individual performance. Paul's postseason numbers are every bit as good, if not better, than Thomas' in the playoffs. But Paul had never played on a team remotely as talented as Thomas' Pistons until this last season. In fact, this last year was the first year I put any blame on Paul for his lack of postseason success. Him choking away Game 5 like he did will seriously haunt his legacy unless he can come back and win a title or two at some point.

YAALREADYKNO
07-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Postseason success has more to do with team play than it does individual performance. Paul's postseason numbers are every bit as good, if not better, than Thomas' in the playoffs. But Paul had never played on a team remotely as talented as Thomas' Pistons until this last season. In fact, this last year was the first year I put any blame on Paul for his lack of postseason success. Him choking away Game 5 like he did will seriously haunt his legacy unless he can come back and win a title or two at some point.

it still doesnt exclude the fact that the man has never been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. People give melo so much BS about how he doesnt have a ring but hes been to the conference finals at least once but when it comes to cp3 people wanna make excuses for him or give him a pass. The clippers this yr were probably the deepest team in the nba and people had blake griffin as a top 5 mvp candidate and deandre jordan led the league in rebounding. Jamaal crawford was 6th man of the yr and you still cant lead your team out of the 2nd round against okc who pretty much only had durant, westbrook, and on occasions ibaka. Thomas on one ankle almost won a game 6 against a magic johnson led LA lakers and wouldve had 3 rings and 2 finals mvp's. Thats enough for me to say that paul clearly isnt on thomas's level YET.

tredigs
07-30-2014, 03:17 AM
We're going to put an asterisk on the ABA, but not a Finals appearance from the current Eastern Conference? You think this POS Heat team makes it through the West? 0 chance. First round fodder, and that's the sports better in me.

The context needed for these choices is so much more vast than these arguments are dictating. I literally can't even get involved at this point, but as I've stated earlier, this is a **** show. That said, have fun kids. I get that it's all for amusement.

sixers247
07-30-2014, 08:17 AM
We're going to put an asterisk on the ABA, but not a Finals appearance from the current Eastern Conference? You think this POS Heat team makes it through the West? 0 chance. First round fodder, and that's the sports better in me.

The context needed for these choices is so much more vast than these arguments are dictating. I literally can't even get involved at this point, but as I've stated earlier, this is a **** show. That said, have fun kids. I get that it's all for amusement.

You a sad sad man. YOu ***** about the rankings in every single new thread yet haven't given and reason why the rankings are bad or what yours would be. Of course there will be disagreements. Thats what makes it interresting and fun to do. If everyone voted the same player each spot what the **** would be the point. Crawl back into your mom's basement and cry on another forum.

Chronz
07-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Statistics aren't fudged with the way they are with Aba competition, so yes that would be fair.

The list looks great to me, a few disagreements but nothing to get riled up about.

Chronz
07-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Erving
Baylor
Malone
Chuck
Admiral
Zeke
Hondo
KG
Dirk
Barry

Its harder now that there are more flaws to consider.

Who had the best season out of whos left?

Best 5 year peak?

KnicksorBust
07-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Erving
Baylor
Malone
Chuck
Admiral
Zeke
Hondo
KG
Dirk
Barry

Its harder now that there are more flaws to consider.

Who had the best season out of whos left?

Best 5 year peak?

The subjective aspect of voting will be drastically on display in the next couple of threads. The debates will either rise to the occasion or putter out imo.