PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see added to the All-Star Weekend

JasonJohnHorn
07-27-2014, 12:58 AM
It looks like Adam Silver is making the All-Star weekend an All-Star Week, which I think is a good idea, if for nothing else to give players time to relax a little and allow the guys participating some time to relax.

I assume the dunk contest and skills challenge will still be saturday night, and the AS game on Sunday.... perhaps the rookie/sophomore game could be on Friday....

But what would you like to see added?

I personally would love to see a USA vs The World game, where American All-Stars take on global All-Stars (Parker, Manu, Dirk, ect). Or even just Eastern conference international players vs. Western conference international players. OR they could invite guy from Europe and Chinese leagues to face off against the NBA's international players.

I'd also like to see the retirees play. When I was younger there use to be a game where retired guys would play. I think Dr. J played in one game, but it'd be fun to see Ewing and Shaq and Drexler and guys like that suit up... even if it is for a short game, instead of throwing a couple of them into the celebrity game.

Maybe a one-on-one, two-on-two or three-on-three tournament?

What are your thoughts?

Cheesesteak
07-27-2014, 01:01 AM
A 3v3 streetball type of tournament would be fun to watch. But I've been thinking of the 1v1 tournament for a while.

Set it up like a boxing match. Place in your bets. John Wall vs. Steph Curry. Who will win? Just an example but oh how fun it would be to bet on that. But I'm sure most players in the league would refuse to do something like this.

Hellcrooner
07-27-2014, 01:04 AM
OUT:
3pshooting
dunking
rookie game
skills
Fan voting

IN:
three day tournament with semifinals, 3rd and 4th spot game for losers and Finals for winners.

Teams= ( selected by coaches)
1Team USA
2Team Nba foreign players ( true foreign, Duncan plays for team usa so he should be in team usa)
3 Team Ncaa
4 Team Euroleague.

Just put them 4 in a ballot to decide who faces who in the semis.

Ariza's Better
07-27-2014, 01:06 AM
1 on 1 and 2 on 2 tournaments.

Bramaca
07-27-2014, 01:13 AM
I'd like to see them eliminate the all-star weekend. It's about the same quality of entertainment as a pre-game shoot around.

shep33
07-27-2014, 01:18 AM
The 1-on-1 thing probably will never work. Teams don't want guys to get hurt playing in a meaningless game.

jerellh528
07-27-2014, 01:42 AM
1v1

jaydubb
07-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Free throw shooting contest

Dade County
07-27-2014, 02:50 AM
Slam Dunk Contest:

Have the top D league rim protector or foreign player, protect the rim as slam dunk contestants tries to duck on him.

Defender can only take one power step forward to jump up vertically.

The offensive player will have 3 different types of take offs they can perform; driving from the 3 point line (started point can be any spot from the 3 point line (top of the key, wing or corner)), the other from the elbow, player most have their back to the rim before beginning dribble, player will quickly turn around and proceed to drive towards the basket. The 3rd challenge will be a power drop step like Shaq used to do, and go straight up and try to dunk on the defender.

The Dunk contest can be saved, if people was actually getting dunked on. lol

RaiderKid318
07-27-2014, 03:00 AM
I'd like to see some type of speed challenge. Everyone always wants to say one of the players on their team is the most explosive, quick, fast, etc. player in the league. It would be nice to see who actually is, and it's something different. Idk something equivalent to 40 yard dash in nfl, and home-to-1st in baseball?

GREATNESS ONE
07-27-2014, 03:01 AM
2 vs 2

With fans being able to vote for the players on each team, no matter conference.

Dunk Contest needs a jolt.

jaydubb
07-27-2014, 03:03 AM
The 1-on-1 thing probably will never work. Teams don't want guys to get hurt playing in a meaningless game.

Exactly.. There's some ideas that I like in this thread, but the league would never approve due to risk of injury.

3v3 tourney sounds good to me

I like crooners idea of having a tournament with NBA international and college.. That would be awesome

GREATNESS ONE
07-27-2014, 03:04 AM
I'd like to see some type of speed challenge. Everyone always wants to say one of the players on their team is the most explosive, quick, fast, etc. player in the league. It would be nice to see who actually is, and it's something different. Idk something equivalent to 40 yard dash in nfl, and home-to-1st in baseball?

Watch out for SpeedKills in your fantasy football team this year. You guys always battle it out. :laugh2:

jaydubb
07-27-2014, 03:05 AM
Also should do like a future star game where all of the top high school prospects get together and play a game

GREATNESS ONE
07-27-2014, 03:13 AM
Also should do like a future star game where all of the top high school prospects get together and play a game

This. :nod:

mrblisterdundee
07-27-2014, 03:16 AM
I think a one-on-one tournament would be great. It would probably have to draw from the mid-level stars. The top-flight talent has already abandoned the dunk contest.

IKnowHoops
07-27-2014, 03:20 AM
Exactly.. There's some ideas that I like in this thread, but the league would never approve due to risk of injury.

3v3 tourney sounds good to me

I like crooners idea of having a tournament with NBA international and college.. That would be awesome

This is what I was thinking. Make it games to 21 using only all stars...play half court... and mix up the east and west so that each team has a player from both conferences.

You could put the teams together completely random...

Or since there are 24 all starts, there will be 8 teams so you could just take the 8 highest vote getters and make them team captains, then let fans decide which players join which captain.

Single elimination
day 1 final 8
day 2 final 4
day 3 Championship

jaydubb
07-27-2014, 03:47 AM
This is what I was thinking. Make it games to 21 using only all stars...play half court... and mix up the east and west so that each team has a player from both conferences.

You could put the teams together completely random...

Or since there are 24 all starts, there will be 8 teams so you could just take the 8 highest vote getters and make them team captains, then let fans decide which players join which captain.

Single elimination
day 1 final 8
day 2 final 4
day 3 Championship

GREAT idea.. :nod: similar to what I was thinking. I like the format you came up with for the games too, almost gives it an elite 8 march madness feel to it.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-27-2014, 03:47 AM
Legends East vs West.

P&GRealist
07-27-2014, 03:48 AM
Winning conference gets HCA in the finals

jaydubb
07-27-2014, 03:58 AM
Legends East vs West.
This is by far the Best idea so far.. Get to see bill Russell jerry west and other legends play ball like back in the day

Winning conference gets HCA in the finals
Yea hopefully nobody would throw the game like Adam mainwright did in the mlb all star game this year..

ThuglifeJ
07-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Boobs

Duncan = Donkey
07-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Blacks vs Whites match
Karaoke contest
Rookie vs Sophomore dodgeball match

JasonJohnHorn
07-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Blacks vs Whites match
Karaoke contest

Thanks you for sharing that. lol

slashsnake
07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
This is by far the Best idea so far.. Get to see bill Russell jerry west and other legends play ball like back in the day

I really hate watching a lot of the older guys play. Plodding around, unable to jump. I remember seeing Barkley try to play a few years ago, and it was something I wish I hadn't seen.

Much rather like to remember them how they were in their primes here. But that's just my thoughts.

I like the 1 on 1 idea.. Do something with sizes...

Guards vs. Guards. Westbrook vs. Curry, Wade vs. Kobe...

small Forwards vs. small forwards, Bron vs. Durant.

Bigs vs. Bigs.... Griffin vs. Love

Centers not included. Sorry for those hoping for a Noah vs. Dwight matchup lol

Or do an invite for a guy from every single team. Get all 32 involved kind of like baseball does and do a 32 team tourney of 1 on 1 games. 5 games max. Do the 32 round and the 16 round on day 1, the 8 and the 4 on day 2 and the championship/consolation games if you want on day three and they still get three days off.

jaydubb
07-27-2014, 02:15 PM
I really hate watching a lot of the older guys play. Plodding around, unable to jump. I remember seeing Barkley try to play a few years ago, and it was something I wish I hadn't seen.

Much rather like to remember them how they were in their primes here. But that's just my thoughts.

I like the 1 on 1 idea.. Do something with sizes...

Guards vs. Guards. Westbrook vs. Curry, Wade vs. Kobe...

small Forwards vs. small forwards, Bron vs. Durant.

Bigs vs. Bigs.... Griffin vs. Love

Centers not included. Sorry for those hoping for a Noah vs. Dwight matchup lol

Or do an invite for a guy from every single team. Get all 32 involved kind of like baseball does and do a 32 team tourney of 1 on 1 games. 5 games max. Do the 32 round and the 16 round on day 1, the 8 and the 4 on day 2 and the championship/consolation games if you want on day three and they still get three days off.

I was actually just joking about the NBA legends game haha.. Yea I wouldn't want to see a bunch of old farts get on the court together..heheh

I like the 1v1 tournament idea but I personally would rather go with 2v2 or 3v3 tournament because I think its more entertaining with teammates and at the same time the floor will be spaced enough that there will be plenty of 1on1 matchups.

slashsnake
07-27-2014, 02:28 PM
I was actually just joking about the NBA legends game haha.. Yea I wouldn't want to see a bunch of old farts get on the court together..heheh

I like the 1v1 tournament idea but I personally would rather go with 2v2 or 3v3 tournament because I think its more entertaining with teammates and at the same time the floor will be spaced enough that there will be plenty of 1on1 matchups.

But how else would we get to see JR Smiths revolutionary "no pass offense" at it's best? lol.

I think any of them would be great, but 1X1 you would get some pretty good bragging rights there. No chance of saying "Kobe dominated but Lin went 0-15 and cost him".

IKnowHoops
07-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Exactly....3v3 to me is the best to watch because it gives a perfect combination of team success and 1v1 showdowns. It results in the most highlights as well do to the combination of floor spacing, team help, 1v1 match ups. I could do 2v2 I guess, but Id rather not do 1v1 unless........they do all three. Now that would be pretty tight. Seeing a big tourney envolving all three. And let players enter themselves and there teams. Let it be a secret until the festivities begin. But let players collude behind closed doors to create super teams, and then let a lesser team beat them. I think that would be awesome.

IKnowHoops
07-27-2014, 03:03 PM
And for the 3 on 3 instead of making it a half court game, put up two hoops on either side of the width of the court and play that way. I think that will make the game flow better to watch. Also teams should probably have 4-5 players for sub reasons since they will definitely be running more back and forth.

ccugrad1
07-27-2014, 03:08 PM
For starters, actually putting people in the starting lineup that truly deserve to be there. For example, Kobe is named a starter, yet only played 6 games all season?

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 12:06 AM
[/B]

Exactly....3v3 to me is the best to watch because it gives a perfect combination of team success and 1v1 showdowns. It results in the most highlights as well do to the combination of floor spacing, team help, 1v1 match ups. I could do 2v2 I guess, but Id rather not do 1v1 unless........they do all three. Now that would be pretty tight. Seeing a big tourney envolving all three. And let players enter themselves and there teams. Let it be a secret until the festivities begin. But let players collude behind closed doors to create super teams, and then let a lesser team beat them. I think that would be awesome.

Yea this is what I was going for.. I'd love for players to get together and make their own teams. You never know which players can play great together until you actually see them on the same court together. This would be a major improvement to the all star weekend I think, seriously.

And for the 3 on 3 instead of making it a half court game, put up two hoops on either side of the width of the court and play that way. I think that will make the game flow better to watch. Also teams should probably have 4-5 players for sub reasons since they will definitely be running more back and forth.

I like the idea of having a smaller court to play with 2 hoops. There would be fast breaks but it wouldn't be overbearing with only 3 players because it would be a smaller court. Tho 4-5 subs might be a bit much to play to a game of 21 unless they are doing a best out of 3 games format or something similar.

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 12:10 AM
But how else would we get to see JR Smiths revolutionary "no pass offense" at it's best? lol.

I think any of them would be great, but 1X1 you would get some pretty good bragging rights there. No chance of saying "Kobe dominated but Lin went 0-15 and cost him".

That's why I think they they should either do a best out of 3 to win and move on to the next team or double elimination(once you lose you move to a losers bracket and try to work your way back up the hard way).. If one player sucks one game, he would have the opportunity to make it up the next game.

jaydubb
07-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Boobs
:nod:

Blacks vs Whites match
Karaoke contest
Here's some great ideas.. I'm loving the karaoke idea

For starters, actually putting people in the starting lineup that truly deserve to be there. For example, Kobe is named a starter, yet only played 6 games all season?
This didn't really matter tho because he refused to play anyway. Its fan vote and that will happen every once in a while with the fan vote. Dark horse all star this year btw, Jeremy Lin.. Will he deserve it?? Probably not, but he does have all of China behind him as well as one of the biggest NBA fan base behind him as well. I won't vote for him, but I'm telling ya he will get plenty of votes just like yao did.. Haha

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-28-2014, 08:58 AM
I like the idea of retiree's play. But most likely it end up being a game of "horse". Probably single elimination where each player is in a drawing and play 1vs1 in a bracket tournament.

GoferKing_
07-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Balls, competitiveness, defence. Not some piknik.

PurpleLynch
07-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Jousting. Definitely jousting.

PhillyFaninLA
07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
- trick shots/moves/dribbling (ala the Harlem Globetrotters)
- Add some non guards to the dribble, pass, shot thing they do
- Every city with a team hold a competition for skills competition (the one the guards do now), 3 point shoot out, and maybe even dunk if it could work among fans (with no professional experience or team/league affiliation) and the winner from each city goes to the all star game (gets some nice autographed swag) and competitive for best fan (of given event) in the country.

Goose17
07-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Alter the format for some stuff, a lot revolving around fan voting.

- For the actual all star game, bring in rules where you can only vote for someone if they have been healthy for at least 50% of the season so far.

- Dunk Contest format, fans vote for captain on each team, (East and West), players have the option to turn it down (then goes to the guy with the next highest amount of votes) but can only turn it down once every three years, I.E If Lebron gets voted in every year for the next three years, and turns it down in year one and two, he cannot turn it down in year three.

Have the sponsor put up a cash prize, the amount would be matched in a donation to a charity local to the host city.

Stick with East vs West idea, three guys on each side. Include three judges, one NBA legend, one commentator/analyst (preferably a former player), one "celebrity".

Round One: Battle Round. Two dunks each (60 seconds to complete). Coin flip to decide who goes first, judges decide who they want to face up against who. Fans vote for the top dunker from the West, and top from the East. They automatically go through, Judges decide on who should be the third, wild card entrant our of the remaining four players.

Round Three: Two dunks each. Remaining three competitors face off, this is to find the Slam Dunk Champion (who will also win the game for their conference). Judges vote, fans vote (text/online), commentary team vote. An average is calculated to give you the winner.

Fans get involved but don't control the entire outcome.

- Fan games. I don't know about you but some times getting the fans involved can be hilarious imo. So how about this, fans at the games can "opt in" to take part in the "Shooting Stars Competition". Fans that "opted in" have their row and seat number put into a raffle, raffle is drawn by the host, same idea as the current shooting stars contest, but instead of an NBA player, retired player and WNBA player. You have an NBA player, a WNBA player and a fan. Three teams, time based challenge. Cash prize, winning team gets X amount to give to charity and the fan on said team gets a cash prize as well ($5,000 or something).

- 2Ball had some promise, bring that back, involve the fans similar to above.

Shammyguy3
07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
a shouting match between Thibs and Kevin Garnett

Force25
07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
a dunk contest between NBA players and those street slam dunkers

king4day
07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
1 on 1 would be the biggest thing for me. Understandably it'll never happen but it'd be cool to see.

Game of HORSE would be cool too.

Devster3
07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
I posted a long time ago about this...My thread was deleted.

I honestly think doing black vs white is great. Its not a racist thing, but understanding that its intriguing just how USA vs Foreign players would be too. We all like unique match ups and what if scenarios, why do we have to make it a bad thing? So any type of big game like that would be fun to watch.

I think a 3 vs 3 tournament or even 2 vs 2 half court tournament like NCAA style, single elimination would be really fun.

Some event where each team has their captain or chosen player involved and whoever wins: earns their team extra rest somehow, or one team prize to help gain some advantage.

-up the prize money to make the players take it seriously...even the dunk money should attract top talent.

MOST INTERESTING IDEA:
ooo! What about 2 vs 2 tournament where A NBA player plays with a current player from their college team? 1 NBA player and 1 college player per team?

Devster3
07-28-2014, 01:56 PM
What if the min tournament (only if its just a team style thing like the min series Silvers wanted) earns your team a trade exception or some type of MLE for the off season. Could be interesting???

ManRam
07-28-2014, 02:31 PM
I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I don't want to see much added. If anything, cut out the fat. Or just replace the dumb things like skills contest with one other thing.

I'd like to see Zach LaVine added to the dunk contest. I'd also like to see whatever format it was last year never happen again. Though, the format has never really worked.

I like the idea of world vs. USA for the game itself.

thechom80
07-28-2014, 08:22 PM
I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I don't want to see much added. If anything, cut out the fat. Or just replace the dumb things like skills contest with one other thing.

I'd like to see Zach LaVine added to the dunk contest. I'd also like to see whatever format it was last year never happen again. Though, the format has never really worked.

I like the idea of world vs. USA for the game itself.

How about just give the Dunk trophy to LaVine now??

Mell413
07-28-2014, 08:25 PM
I actually think a game of horse would be entertaining.