PDA

View Full Version : OKC Thunder Trying To Pull A Shady Move On Rookie To Save Money

Clippersfan86
07-25-2014, 03:08 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/23/5925979/josh-huestis-thunder-nba-rookie-d-league

"Presti, according to Mayberry, plans to convince Huestis to hold off on signing his $750,000 guaranteed contract for the 2014-15 season and instead sign a contract around $25,000 to join the NBA D-League for a year. Huestis would then sign his Thunder deal a year from now or maybe two, at which point the standard guaranteed rookie contract would begin."

Talk about shady and cheap as fu**.

goingfor28
07-25-2014, 03:10 AM
I don't see the big deal

Clippersfan86
07-25-2014, 03:13 AM
I don't see the big deal

If he does this and blows his knee during his season in the D-League it will be a big deal. It's a shady backdoor deal. Pay the man chump change by NBA standards of 750k... THEN stash him. Saving 725k is petty as hell for a contending team.

Edit: I may have misread. Sounds like he may still get guaranteed money next year? Still doesn't seem right really for a kid who has worked to get here. If someone asked me to wait a year to get 725k more as a favor to them I'd tell them where to shove it.

c.c.
07-25-2014, 04:08 AM
25k? He can make more than that working in a factory

lamzoka
07-25-2014, 04:20 AM
If I'm Huesti and my agent call me about this BS from the Thunder, I'm firing him on the spot. Give me my 750K or let me go to Europe for a year or 2. What if he tears his ACL in a DLeague game. Why do the team any favor? they can easily trade your rights to another team.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-25-2014, 04:32 AM
He probably wasn't being picked in the first round if he didn't make that promise. Then there's no guaranteed scale.

NYKNYGNYY
07-25-2014, 04:33 AM
He'd be stupid to do this ... Obvious reasons everyone stated what if he blows a knee

kingsdelez24
07-25-2014, 04:44 AM
This guy is an idiot and if anything has sold himself low as a player. By openly saying "I think I should stay in the d league rather than to prove myself" all while killing his market value and salary in the process. This guy needs to fire his agent

2-ONE-5
07-25-2014, 08:47 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/23/5925979/josh-huestis-thunder-nba-rookie-d-league

"Presti, according to Mayberry, plans to convince Huestis to hold off on signing his $750,000 guaranteed contract for the 2014-15 season and instead sign a contract around $25,000 to join the NBA D-League for a year. Huestis would then sign his Thunder deal a year from now or maybe two, at which point the standard guaranteed rookie contract would begin."

Talk about shady and cheap as fu**.

im not sure you know what the word shady means. its also OKC and there isnt much playing time for rookies so it makes sense they owuld prefer him to start in the d league

2-ONE-5
07-25-2014, 08:48 AM
He probably wasn't being picked in the first round if he didn't make that promise. Then there's no guaranteed scale.

good point. i didnt think of Huestis as a first rounder to begin with.

kobe4thewinbang
07-25-2014, 08:51 AM
It's his choice. Hopefully it pans out. I'm just surprised it's legal.

MrfadeawayJB
07-25-2014, 10:19 AM
I'd say "show me the money !"

GottaLoveCubs
07-25-2014, 10:28 AM
This was a dumb move by OKC. So they reach for a 2nd round pick in the 1st round. Only to send him to the D-League for a year or 2. Why not just trade the pick for a future 1st rounder?

mavwar53
07-25-2014, 11:08 AM
He is stupid, why would you accept this, if they want you to develop in the d-league, make them sign you and send you there for the year while making an NBA salary. What a wasted year for him, getting an nba salary last for only so long and he just cut 1 year off that to make 25k. The guy graduated from Stanford he should be making much more than this even in his 1st year out of school.

WSU Tony
07-25-2014, 11:21 AM
This isn't shady at all. 2nd round contracts are non guaranteed contracts. They could offer him $0.00 if they wanted to. They don't see his value so they don't want to take a risk on him. He can go play wherever he wants, getting drafted in the 2nd round doesn't stop him from doing what he wants.

Playing in the NBA at this point just isn't an option for him, that's all.

This isn't shady and he isn't getting screwed.

lamzoka
07-25-2014, 01:03 PM
This isn't shady at all. 2nd round contracts are non guaranteed contracts. They could offer him $0.00 if they wanted to. They don't see his value so they don't want to take a risk on him. He can go play wherever he wants, getting drafted in the 2nd round doesn't stop him from doing what he wants.

Playing in the NBA at this point just isn't an option for him, that's all.

This isn't shady and he isn't getting screwed.

There wouldn't be a thread about this, if he was a second round pick. HE WAS DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND.
29th overall.

Thunder should've just traded the pick for a future first or for 2 second round picks

Sactown
07-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Its shady in the fashion that teams can't talk compensation before the player is drafted and it seems that's exactly what they did ...

I can't see him taking the pay cut after being drafted 29th and being guaranteed the money, but I can see them saying do it or we won't draft you...

And if I'm right that is shady

Vinylman
07-25-2014, 01:16 PM
I am confused... if they don't sign him do they lose his rights and he becomes a FA?

If not, just let him play a year overseas instead of the D league

WSU Tony
07-25-2014, 02:11 PM
The only wrong doing I see is that OKC is trying to manipulate roster sizes by such a move. The draftee isn't getting screwed at all.

OKC: "Hey kid, we'll draft you in the 1st round if you agree to play in the D league for a year and not sign your rookie contract."

Kid: "Okay - it's a deal."

OKC: Drafts kid in 1st round.

Kid: "You drafted me in the 1st round, give me my money. I'm getting screwed!"

LOL.

They made a deal and the kid (it sounds like) agreed to that deal.

moshy2
07-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Like the article said, it might have been a prior arrangement. I don't think the Thunder are screwing him, though. They guaranteed him $750k when he could have gotten 0. I doubt they'll make him play for just $25k. They're telling him "don't worry, we got you". It's shady from an NBA rules perspective, but I don't they are trying to pull one over on this kid, just the NBA

D-Leethal
07-25-2014, 02:17 PM
KD needs to GTFO of there. Great management team yea but with owners THAT cheap you are never going to win, ever. They already dismantled a dynasty in the making to swap max cats for rookie contracts and are now swapping rookies for D-League contracts?

Not a good look...

king4day
07-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Yea I'd ask to be guaranteed the 750k or to be released and play for another team or overseas.

WSU Tony
07-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Sign a contract stating this year you will make $25,000 then next year your rookie deal starts at next years rookie deal standards. If he's going to play for next to nothing this year then reward him next year with the higher rookie deal.

The kid needs seasoning and he knows it. OKC don't want him on their roster as is and don't want to take up nearly 1 million in cap space. I see the relationship here....

The D League is what the kid needs.

2-ONE-5
07-25-2014, 02:58 PM
going overseas would make it much more difficuly for him to have a career in the NBA too. OKc is good at developing young talent so playing in the D league for a year and getting focus from ther developmental staff will help him get to where they want him to be. everyone is so quick to say certain players or even hS players should go overseas for the money and as much as these players want the money they still want to play in the NBA and become a star here in the end. what american kid dreams of winning the euro league title one day?

Saddletramp
07-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Sign a contract stating this year you will make $25,000 then next year your rookie deal starts at next years rookie deal standards.

While they want him to basically agree with these terms, I'm pretty sure this isn't a legal NBA contract, hence the whole "shady" talk. They're basically trying to "draft and stash" this guy but keeping control over him for the price of a fully loaded Camry.

NBAfan4life
07-25-2014, 05:14 PM
I read an article on this a while back, they are trying to have a farm system like they do in baseball. This is the first step.

2-ONE-5
07-25-2014, 08:35 PM
no this isnt the first step. its them not wanting to pay 750k for their 11-12th man to ride the bench when they rather develop him and get him PT in the d league

Saddletramp
07-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I read an article on this a while back, they are trying to have a farm system like they do in baseball. This is the first step.

The first step was the 1 year after college rule.

sens#11fan
07-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Look at it from an "internship" point of view, at least he is getting payed something. If he proves hes good enough to play in the big league then he'll get payed big time.

Goose17
07-26-2014, 03:12 PM
How is this shady? It's great business savvy. Teams do this with international players all the time and I've never seen someone make a thread about it.