PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Mudiay (highschool player) agree to 1.2 million to play in China

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2014, 10:32 PM
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/source--emmanuel-mudiay-agrees-to--1-2-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html

Brandon Jennings did this (went to Europe instead of college), and now Emmanuel Mudiay (who I have never heard of) has proven smart enough to get paid a cool million+ instead of playing for free so some rich school can make millions off of him.

Thoughts? Should more players do this?

goingfor28
07-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Yes more should do this. Smart kid

FlashBolt
07-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Or.... he just wants to make money ASAP?

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Isaiah Austin is a prime example of this. Had be been getting paid instead of playing for free, he'd have some money in the bank now, with which he could go to school and do any number of things.

But now he can't play.

NBA_Starter
07-23-2014, 10:56 PM
He may come out better for having done it.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2014, 10:59 PM
If he is some kind of scrub that got offered stupid money, yes by all means he has to do that.

On the contrary, if he actually is some kind of prospect and he was in such a dire need for money then no , he should have gone to Europe, superior talent to play against and better formative coachs.

In reality what should happen to avoid this ish is that Ncaa should actually pay their players with money not only with the scolarship ( a flat rate of money for EVERY player in the ncaa, every player earns the same amount regardless if the are starters or benchmen and regardles of what college they play for ) cause in the end, ncaa makes a TON of money out of them.

kingkenny01
07-23-2014, 11:00 PM
not a 100% sure but I think income tax in china is lower, so he will get to keep a good portion of that, I'm surprised more players aren't doing this, its a mil for something your going to do anyway in college

Devster3
07-23-2014, 11:05 PM
SMU alumni here.

the story is actually much deeper: He agreed to play for SMU and they were going to have a stacked team. The high school he went to Prime Prep is under investigation for paying players and being shout down. This led to him getting investigated and did not want to be in a position to ruin the school/team. I assume Larry Brown sat down with him and decided against having the losses if he ends up being accused of taking money.
Mudiay also didn't want his mom to keep suffering so he decided to take the money in order to help her out earlier instead of waiting a year.
I also cant help but think Under Armor who set up his contract in China is involved somehow by giving him accessories or something and maybe hinting at something. All together leading to him wanting to avoid investigation and sign his contract for Underarmor earlier.

Either way its such a let down, the SMU team was going to be a top team to watch next year with him joining that squad.

Good for Mudiay, he will get a nice paycheck and be a top lotto pick next year. It was fun chanting for a recruit, who came and watched every game last year. He did try to recruit Miles Turner too for SMU, he really probably wanted to play here. But how can you pass up living abroad and a million dollars?

Tony_Starks
07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Not mad at him at all. Jennings paved the way, I'm surprised more kids aren't doing this. It's not like that one year of college is having a huge impact on their game, it's just a way for the colleges to eat off them for a year....

2-ONE-5
07-23-2014, 11:28 PM
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/source--emmanuel-mudiay-agrees-to--1-2-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html

Brandon Jennings did this (went to Europe instead of college), and now Emmanuel Mudiay (who I have never heard of) has proven smart enough to get paid a cool million+ instead of playing for free so some rich school can make millions off of him.

Thoughts? Should more players do this?

he is only going bcuz he is an idiot (for lack of a batter word) and was going to be ineligible

2-ONE-5
07-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Jenings stinks and learned nothing going overseas, same with Jermey Tyler who i think went as a JR in HS. these intl teams could care less bout these kids trying to get a paycheck for one year. its a shame bcuz this kid was a top prospect, arguably the top PG and learning from one of the GOATs in Larry Brown wold have been great for him

Mr.B
07-23-2014, 11:53 PM
SMU alumni here.

the story is actually much deeper: He agreed to play for SMU and they were going to have a stacked team. The high school he went to Prime Prep is under investigation for paying players and being shout down. This led to him getting investigated and did not want to be in a position to ruin the school/team. I assume Larry Brown sat down with him and decided against having the losses if he ends up being accused of taking money.
Mudiay also didn't want his mom to keep suffering so he decided to take the money in order to help her out earlier instead of waiting a year.
I also cant help but think Under Armor who set up his contract in China is involved somehow by giving him accessories or something and maybe hinting at something. All together leading to him wanting to avoid investigation and sign his contract for Underarmor earlier.

Either way its such a let down, the SMU team was going to be a top team to watch next year with him joining that squad.

Good for Mudiay, he will get a nice paycheck and be a top lotto pick next year. It was fun chanting for a recruit, who came and watched every game last year. He did try to recruit Miles Turner too for SMU, he really probably wanted to play here. But how can you pass up living abroad and a million dollars?

Great post and I have such mixed feelings about his decision. I live in Dallas and have been looking forward to him playing for Larry Brown next year. We all know it was only going to be for one year but he would have learned so much from Larry Brown. He was the #1 recruit in the nation and with him the Mustangs would have been a favorite to make the sweet 16 (at least). Deion Sanders has been throwing his business partner under the bus but I have not doubt that he had a huge role and taking advantage of these kids. I'm glad though that Mudiay will be able to take care of his mom. I don't blame him at all and I have no doubt that he'll be a top pick next year. And in my opinion the NCAA should be looking hard at Under Armour.

dhopisthename
07-24-2014, 09:32 AM
I can't believe more guys are doing this. its a million dollars vs what could happen of him blowing out his knee in college getting drafted in the 2nd round or later and never making that much

imagesrdecievin
07-24-2014, 10:07 AM
I also look at this like a no brainer.

Go see the world, get paid and learn from professionals.

If you have the talent you will get drafted regardless. I really can't see the downside.

2-ONE-5
07-24-2014, 10:09 AM
whats he gonna learn playing in China?

jimm120
07-24-2014, 10:24 AM
whats he gonna learn playing in China?

The same thing that he'll learn in NCAA. Its just that NCAA has better prospects overall (tougher competition helps you grow) and more exposure...

...that said, if he feels he can have exposure in China, then do so.

PurpleLynch
07-24-2014, 10:31 AM
He should have gone to Europe,where bball competition is higher. But that money will be offered only by a chinese team for a HS player. Good move finacially,bad move to develop his game.

2-ONE-5
07-24-2014, 12:14 PM
The same thing that he'll learn in NCAA. Its just that NCAA has better prospects overall (tougher competition helps you grow) and more exposure...

...that said, if he feels he can have exposure in China, then do so.

hes not gonna learn much of anything. the knowledge and talent level alone in China is poor compared to playing major D1 ball. His team is playing to win they wont be focused on deveolping him the same way knowing hes out after the season. not to mention other smaller things like language barriers, etc. i would have at least picked a better league.

WSU Tony
07-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Jennings was dumb (iq) that's why he went over seas. With how easy they make D1 school for athletes it goes to show how long his IQ really is. I've been at a school with some dumb athletes - they were really dumb. They also had weak majors and got c's.

Crackadalic
07-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Good for him. Another big middle finger to the scam that is the ncaa as much as I like watching collge games

Raps08-09 Champ
07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Isaiah Austin is a prime example of this. Had be been getting paid instead of playing for free, he'd have some money in the bank now, with which he could go to school and do any number of things.

But now he can't play.

He wouldn't have passed the physical.

jerellh528
07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Good for him. Another big middle finger to the scam that is the ncaa as much as I like watching collge games

By scam do you mean letting players go to college and display their games on a national platform where they gain an education, fans, celebrity, and the chance at the nba all for free? Or something else?

Corey
07-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Mudiay is the top PG in his class. He's a stud.

Crackadalic
07-24-2014, 07:02 PM
By scam do you mean letting players go to college and display their games on a national platform where they gain an education, fans, celebrity, and the chance at the nba all for free? Or something else?

Student Athlete's are devoting over an average 43 hours a week to their sport. If a regular student with a scholarship can get a job with the same amount of hours and get paid for it why can't a student athlete get compensate for pretty much the same thing? Is any of the 4 major sports still not a job to athlete's? If a major sport is still considered a high paying job why can't a student athlete be paid for pretty much the same profession?

Half the time they are missing classes for games that is hurting the so called "education" they are getting. Half the time they are not even properly getting it

You have up and coming stars generating certain colleges millions and millions yet they don't get jack

How can you not see the scam in all this.

Look at it this way. I'm trying to recruit you to play for me at XYZ college. If not for your athletic skills your other skills wouldn't even qualify you to attend XYZ college. So in essence I am recruiting you to play a sport and not for an education because half the time your not attending classes

Does that even sound right?

Scam and will keep calling it that till they do something about it

NYKNYGNYY
07-24-2014, 07:06 PM
We'll it depends there's some coaches like mike k roy Williams etc that will groom you better for the nba...
I don't blame him but it's kind of a red flag in my eyes ...means a player is about money and not education that's just my view tho

2-ONE-5
07-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Mudiay is the top PG in his class. He's a stud.

2nd*

behind Tyus Jones

2-ONE-5
07-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Student Athlete's are devoting over an average 43 hours a week to their sport. If a regular student with a scholarship can get a job with the same amount of hours and get paid for it why can't a student athlete get compensate for pretty much the same thing? Is any of the 4 major sports still not a job to athlete's? If a major sport is still considered a high paying job why can't a student athlete be paid for pretty much the same profession?

Half the time they are missing classes for games that is hurting the so called "education" they are getting. Half the time they are not even properly getting it

You have up and coming stars generating certain colleges millions and millions yet they don't get jack

How can you not see the scam in all this.

Look at it this way. I'm trying to recruit you to play for me at XYZ college. If not for your athletic skills your other skills wouldn't even qualify you to attend XYZ college. So in essence I am recruiting you to play a sport and not for an education because half the time your not attending classes

Does that even sound right?

Scam and will keep calling it that till they do something about it

lets be real man these fans and students are coming out to watch regardless of if there is a Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins on the floor. these kids get world class training and facilities that regular students get to experience, get national TV time, and the opportunity to earn a free degree that they would otherwise have a slim to none chance at achieving and so much more.

1-800-STFU
07-24-2014, 07:28 PM
hes not gonna learn much of anything. the knowledge and talent level alone in China is poor compared to playing major D1 ball. His team is playing to win they wont be focused on deveolping him the same way knowing hes out after the season. not to mention other smaller things like language barriers, etc. i would have at least picked a better league.

He'll learn how to make a million dollars.

Crackadalic
07-24-2014, 07:33 PM
lets be real man these fans and students are coming out to watch regardless of if there is a Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins on the floor. these kids get world class training and facilities that regular students get to experience, get national TV time, and the opportunity to earn a free degree that they would otherwise have a slim to none chance at achieving and so much more.

A student athletic scholarship by definition is granted at least one academic year but can be use for multiple years which is up to four. If the majority of student athlete's are missing classes because of practices, games, tournaments etc (ncaa basketball missing a quarter of there day classes during the tournament) then how the hell are they using there free education?

Scam

2-ONE-5
07-24-2014, 10:03 PM
they are getting grades that they dont deserve by hardly being in class, just ask any UNC grad. they get to take the biggest joke of classes to help their GPA so they can stay eligible. they get 4 one year scholarships but going forward that has been changed and they will get a 4 year scholarship which carries less risk. i once listened to Mick Cronin and Jim Boheim be asked how many of their players could get into their schools on their own and they laughed and said 0