PDA

View Full Version : Charity event in Manila was cancelled by NBA

showtime24
07-22-2014, 09:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nba-warned-touring-stars-of-participating-in-events-in-manila-162518235.html

The charity event was supposed to pit some of the best NBA players Harden, Lillard, Kawhi, DeRozan, Lowry, Chandler... versus members of the Philippine national team in an exhibition game but was cancelled the last minute by the NBA during the live 3 on 3 scrimmage against Phillipine national team. I feel bad to those fans that bought the ticket just to witness a basketball drills.

IndyRealist
07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Philippines forum.

bucketss
07-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Philippines forum.

showtime24
07-23-2014, 01:06 AM
I dont know if we have Philippines forum here in PSD? I posted this topic since its NBA related.

5ass
07-23-2014, 01:21 AM
I dont know if we have Philippines forum here in PSD? I posted this topic since its NBA related.

You can't just do that bro, move to Philippines forum.

bucketss
07-23-2014, 02:41 AM

Seems like the nba has also threatened those players with fines for participating,WTF? i find this offensive really but maybe someone can explain this to me a little more.

AsiandudePH
07-23-2014, 03:39 AM
Official statement:

The following statement has been issued by the NBA regarding the ‘The Gilas Last Home Stand’:

Under the terms of the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement, players are allowed to participate in offseason basketball games or exhibitions when requirements for those events are met, including ensuring that appropriate safeguards be in place, and the promoter seeks the proper exemptions from the NBA and the player’s team. The promoter of this proposed event, East-West Private LLC, was informed of this process several months ago but did not take the required steps. Filipinos are among the most passionate basketball fans in the world and we are committed to bringing them more access to our game and supporting the ongoing Typhoon Haiyan rehabilitation efforts.

http://ph.nba.com/news-article/2878/nba-issues-statement-on-the-gilas-last-home-stand#.U88_s_mSzfK

showtime24
07-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Seems like the nba has also threatened those players with fines for participating,WTF? i find this offensive really but maybe someone can explain this to me a little more.

Actually NBA officials learned that the event has not been approved resulting to cancellation of the 5-on-5 exhibition game while the said event is on-going, threatening the NBA players for suspension if they decided to continue. Fault by the organizers for not complying to NBA rules however NBA should have done its part also to inform the organizers and players long before the event. A year ago Kobe and co. was able to play an exhibition game against the Phi. national team but didn't have any problems.

JJ_JKidd
07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Actually NBA officials learned that the event has not been approved resulting to cancellation of the 5-on-5 exhibition game while the said event is on-going, threatening the NBA players for suspension if they decided to continue. Fault by the organizers for not complying to NBA rules however NBA should have done its part also to inform the organizers and players long before the event. A year ago Kobe and co. was able to play an exhibition game against the Phi. national team but didn't have any problems.

I think that was during the lockout. So there was basically no agreement between NBA and players on what they can and cannot do.

Crunch Time
07-23-2014, 09:34 PM
MVP got slapped in the face

mikekhelxD
07-23-2014, 09:38 PM
The "Filipino Time" struck again!

NBA_Starter
07-23-2014, 10:46 PM
I would be pissed if I were one of those fans.