PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard a future 1st ballot hall of famer?

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Don't kid yourself. Howard is a lock to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Someone said this, I didn't agree with him. I would say after his first 7 yrs and 4 dpoys, 1 finals, it was sure heading that way, but these last 3 yrs haven't helped his case whatsoever.

Cal827
07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
:laugh:

jerellh528
07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Tough to say, 1st ballot? Nah. I do think he will eventually get in there though.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 08:25 PM
More like 2nd or 3rd ballot.

mohye
07-22-2014, 08:25 PM
No

ManRam
07-22-2014, 08:26 PM
A ring probably will do it. Right now? No. But he's closer than people will want to admit. What he was in Orlando was absolutely first-ballot caliber.

abe_froman
07-22-2014, 08:31 PM
yes

.i get people are down on him right now,so you wont get many good responses(its better for hindsight) ,but he's already accomplished enough to be

Hellcrooner
07-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Lol i love when fans do this question.

Who the **** knows if he will make it FIRST BALLOT

no one knows WHO are going to be the candidates that year and wich candidates from other years will be nominated again.

so if its a " weak " year he will make it first ballott, if its a " strong " year he may have to wait.

in the end.
Who the **** cares if a player makes it first ballot, second or 35st ballott.

The thing is if they DO enter or the DO NOT: i dont care if clyde lovelette entered first ballott or third ballott, all i know is he IS in the hof.

Dwight WILL enter.

KnicksorBust
07-22-2014, 08:33 PM
yes

.i get people are down on him right now,so you wont get many good responses(its better for hindsight) ,but he's already accomplished enough to be

Basically this. I wouldnt count out him adding to his legacy over the next few seasons in Houston as well.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 08:36 PM
It's totally ridiculous that you're so petty you would create a thread just to start an argument. But you want to get into this? Let's get into this. Here's Dwight's resume so far in only 11 seasons in the league:

Career stats of 18.3/12.9/1.5/2.2 with a .599 TS%, 22.1 PER and a .179 WS/48
3x Defensive Player of the Year
Top 5 in MVP four times
8 All-NBA teams in 8 consecutive seasons
5 All-Defensive teams
27th in career Player Efficiency Rating
38th in career WS/48
3rd in career TRB%
19th in career TS%
5th in career eFG%
5th in career FG%
23rd in career BLK%
28th in career blocks
20th in career blocks per game
40th in career rebounds
13th in career rebounds per game
18th in career postseason WS/48
11th in career postseason PER
Carried a mediocre supporting cast to the NBA Finals (08-09)

That is a better career resume than probably more than half the players in the Hall of Fame already. He's got a strong case when he retires as one of the 10-15 greatest centers in NBA history. And while a first ballot Hall of Fame selection isn't a lock, I certainly don't see why it's laughable.

L8kers4life
07-22-2014, 08:53 PM
It's totally ridiculous that you're so petty you would create a thread just to start an argument. But you want to get into this? Let's get into this. Here's Dwight's resume so far in only 11 seasons in the league:

Career stats of 18.3/12.9/1.5/2.2 with a .599 TS%, 22.1 PER and a .179 WS/48
3x Defensive Player of the Year
Top 5 in MVP four times
8 All-NBA teams in 8 consecutive seasons
5 All-Defensive teams
27th in career Player Efficiency Rating
38th in career WS/48
3rd in career TRB%
19th in career TS%
5th in career eFG%
5th in career FG%
23rd in career BLK%
28th in career blocks
20th in career blocks per game
40th in career rebounds
13th in career rebounds per game
18th in career postseason WS/48
11th in career postseason PER
Carried a mediocre supporting cast to the NBA Finals (08-09)

That is a better career resume than probably more than half the players in the Hall of Fame already. He's got a strong case when he retires as one of the 10-15 greatest centers in NBA history. And while a first ballot Hall of Fame selection isn't a lock, I certainly don't see why it's laughable.

It certainly is not laughable, he is the most dominant center of this era, I think he gets in first ballot, and I hate Dwight but I think he is a great player and will be first ballot.

RLundi
07-22-2014, 09:01 PM
No I don't think so.

Let's see some rings first.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 09:14 PM
No I don't think so.

Let's see some rings first.

Since when are rings required to be a first ballot Hall of Fame selection? Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Hayes and English were all First-ballot selections despite no rings between them.

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Some of you guys are overrating Dwight. He's not even the defensive beast he used to be.

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Since when are rings required to be a first ballot Hall of Fame selection? Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Hayes and English were all First-ballot selections despite no rings between them.
Stockton most assists, Malone second most points, Ewing kept those Knicks in contention every yr and integral part of the 02 dream team with Stock and Karl. Never watched Hayes and English.

rockets-fan
07-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Not first ballot. 3rd is more like it

Shlumpledink
07-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Yes. He is. He beats a lot of the guys in the hall already who are seen as all-time greats.

Speaks more to the greatness of the era than the weakness of previous players

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Stockton most assists, Malone second most points, Ewing kept those Knicks in contention every yr and integral part of the 02 dream team with Stock and Karl. Never watched Hayes and English.
Howard was a better player than Hayes and English were. And you could make a halfway decent case for him over Ewing.

Hellcrooner
07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Howard was a better player than Hayes and English were. And you could make a halfway decent case for him over Ewing.
mmm
English yes, he was just a chucker.

hayes............ im not so sure bout that, btw he was a rocket for a while :)

chi-townlove1
07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Man people overreact like crazy. Forget the first ballot crap then. Just simple question, is he a future hall of famer? Quick answer - absolutely.

Crackadalic
07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Idk about 1st ballot but you have to really hate the guy to think he is not hall of fame worthy

Raps08-09 Champ
07-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Easily.

ThuglifeJ
07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Saying Dwight is a hall of famer just seems sad...

He had good years in Orlando then after I wouldn't count any of it in his favor

Lol 1st ballot tho

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Guy's gonna end up with at least 10 all-star games and 10 all-NBA teams. Doing that is gonna make you a lock for the first ballot.

mightybosstone
07-23-2014, 12:01 AM
mmm

I'm well aware of Hayes' career. The guy is still a pretty big deal in the city of Houston. That being said, his numbers show a guy who might be one of the most overrated players in the history of the league. He was remarkably inefficient in an era where the great big men were starting to be efficient.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm well aware of Hayes' career. The guy is still a pretty big deal in the city of Houston. That being said, his numbers show a guy who might be one of the most overrated players in the history of the league. He was remarkably inefficient in an era where the great big men were starting to be efficient.

He also managed to lead the Bullets to a ring.......you know with the almighty mithc kutchap as third scoring option :laugh:

P&GRealist
07-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Guy's gonna end up with at least 10 all-star games and 10 all-NBA teams. Doing that is gonna make you a lock for the first ballot.

No

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-23-2014, 01:21 AM
No

...yes?

lincecum=future
07-23-2014, 01:22 AM
He'll definitely get in, no doubt about that.

Verbal Christ
07-23-2014, 03:26 AM
mmm

A career 50% shooter and 21.5 PPG is a chucker? What wacko galaxy do you live in?

lamzoka
07-23-2014, 03:34 AM
BAsketball HOF is a joke anyway. Dwight will get in first ballot. I MEAN ITS NOT LIKE THE GUY IS A SCRUB ( Stephen A Smith voice)

thenaj17
07-23-2014, 04:46 AM
I'd be amazed if he wasn't 1st ballot. Iverson never got a ring and only had 1 finals appearance and he's almost a certainty to be 1st ballot. Scoring champs help him and the MVP but Dwight has more NBA 1st teams, 3 DPoY's, he's the Magic all time scoring leader and multiple rebounding & blocking titles.

If that's not enough it would be shocking

P&GRealist
07-23-2014, 04:53 AM
I'd be amazed if he wasn't 1st ballot. Iverson never got a ring and only had 1 finals appearance and he's almost a certainty to be 1st ballot. Scoring champs help him and the MVP but Dwight has more NBA 1st teams, 3 DPoY's, he's the Magic all time scoring leader and multiple rebounding & blocking titles.

But AI was a revolutionary figure, and he was tough as nails. He would go up against the likes of a Dwight in the paint and wouldn't be afraid to take the hit. He wasn't immune to criticism and dammit he embraced it. He took it upon himself to get his team the win night in and night out, he took responsibility for his actions, he took responsibility for his team's losses, he never let what others think about him faze him or change his game. The guy played every game like it was his last (Dwight certainly doesn't do that). AI showed heart. I loved that guy to death and yes, AI is a first ballot future hall of fame, no question. Dwight is NOT FIRST BALLOT.

Holy hell Allen Iverson achieved more with lesser talent than has Dwight Howard, and he had some pretty good talented teams that complimented him in Orlando. Don't tell me 09 Shard and Turk were scrubs, or Rafer Alston, Jameer, Mickael Pietrus, Gortat who the day he stepped out of Orlando showed what kind of stud he really was. Management got him Vince, Gilbert etc. They did what they could and he bailed.

AI had to play with Old Mutombo, prior to that Theo Ratliff, and the Eric Snows, Aaron McKies, George Lynch, Matt Geiger's of the world. Ask fans today who those guys were and they will be like ... WHO THE HELL?!

AI was more about THE GAME while Dwight has been about everything OUTSIDE of it and HIS BRAND!

Vinny642
07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
He will make it because of what he did in Orlando... but he is one of them players that will be ringless...

thenaj17
07-23-2014, 05:48 AM
But AI was a revolutionary figure, and he was tough as nails. He would go up against the likes of a Dwight in the paint and wouldn't be afraid to take the hit. He wasn't immune to criticism and dammit he embraced it. He took it upon himself to get his team the win night in and night out, he took responsibility for his actions, he took responsibility for his team's losses, he never let what others think about him faze him or change his game. The guy played every game like it was his last (Dwight certainly doesn't do that). AI showed heart. I loved that guy to death and yes, AI is a first ballot future hall of fame, no question. Dwight is NOT FIRST BALLOT.

Holy hell Allen Iverson achieved more with lesser talent than has Dwight Howard, and he had some pretty good talented teams that complimented him in Orlando. Don't tell me 09 Shard and Turk were scrubs, or Rafer Alston, Jameer, Mickael Pietrus, Gortat who the day he stepped out of Orlando showed what kind of stud he really was. Management got him Vince, Gilbert etc. They did what they could and he bailed.

AI had to play with Old Mutombo, prior to that Theo Ratliff, and the Eric Snows, Aaron McKies, George Lynch, Matt Geiger's of the world. Ask fans today who those guys were and they will be like ... WHO THE HELL?!

AI was more about THE GAME while Dwight has been about everything OUTSIDE of it and HIS BRAND!

While i agree with a lot of what you're saying, i disagree that Iverson had just scrubs. He had a very good defensive team a la Derrick Rose now. He just didn't have a secondary scorer who could take them over the top.

In 10 years time, people will say the same thing about Hedo, Jameer, Rashard. They are all individually poor defenders and none have done anything since Dwight left. Gilbert and Vince @ Orlando did nothing and really shouldn't count.

In my eyes, Iverson was a better player but you cannot say that his achievments stand out from Dwight's and when comparing the 2 side by side, there isn't much difference and ultimately i think Dwight will be a 1st ballot HoF. I'm a Laker like you and can't stand the guy but i can't deny how good he has been to date and the impact he's had especially in Orlando.

I wouldn't say it's a 100% lock though as he still needs to keep building accolades

eso
07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
It's to easy to get into the hall of fame.

mike_noodles
07-23-2014, 08:35 AM
The whole first ballot thing is a baseball thing not a basketball thing. They don't keep guys out on the first ballot in the NBA because of historical reasons.

ankit
07-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Absolutely if he keep his stats up for another 7 years or so i could easily seeing him being a first ballot hall of famer. The man for 10 years straight has averaged 18 and 13 a game. He is only 28 so if he keeps this up till he is 35, no question about it for sure. People who say he is a second ballot or third ballot hate Dwight for his antics of shifting teams but you have to admit he is a very very good player. There hasn't been any other player since Shaq retired that has dominated the Center position like Dwight. Winning a title somewhere wont hurt his chances as well especially if he wins one in Houston.

TheIlladelph16
07-23-2014, 10:53 AM
He will absolutely be a first-ballot HOFer. This is the NBA HOF, which seems to be the easiest to get into.

Also, this notion of ballots really makes me angry. I understand from a practical standpoint why they have them as annual limits are arguably necessary, but the distinction people draw between a First-Ballot HOFer and others is ridiculous. You're either a HOFer or you aren't. Period.

Big Zo
07-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Some of you that are saying "No" have no clue how easy it is to get into the basketball hall of fame.

Chronz
07-23-2014, 12:55 PM
He also managed to lead the Bullets to a ring.......you know with the almighty mithc kutchap as third scoring option :laugh:
Hayes never led anything. He was carried

Hawkeye15
07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Most likely, yes. Remember, he still has another 4-5 years of awesome play, and a decline. So I say yes.

valade16
07-23-2014, 01:17 PM
As an unapologetic Dwight 'hater' he absolutely deserves to be a 1st ballot HOFer...

Goose17
07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry but Howard is clearly going to be a first ballot.

Let's start with the fact that he's the only player in the entire history of the league to win the defensive player of the year award in three consecutive seasons... 8 time all star, Orlandos all time leading scorer, 5 time rebounding leader, 2 time leader in blocks, four time all-defense first team, five time all-NBA first team... and he's not even 30 yet. If he adds a ring into that, I have no idea how you can argue against this. Come on people, he might not be who he was but you're selling him short.

Bill Bradley, Alex English, Barkley... I don't see why D12 can't be on that list.

Also, if Garnett is going to be first ballot, D12 is DEFINITELY going to be first ballot... sorry.

P&GRealist
07-23-2014, 06:19 PM
He will absolutely be a first-ballot HOFer. This is the NBA HOF, which seems to be the easiest to get into.

Also, this notion of ballots really makes me angry. I understand from a practical standpoint why they have them as annual limits are arguably necessary, but the distinction people draw between a First-Ballot HOFer and others is ridiculous. You're either a HOFer or you aren't. Period.

no such thing exists

RLundi
07-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Those guys also have had CAREERS. Dwight in my opinion hasn't done enough to warrant a HOF vote this early in his career. Unless he won a ring or was a multiple time MVP like LeBron -- who, if retired now, would be a lock for the HOF -- Dwight doesn't get in right now. And idk if it's all that close either.

Slug3
07-23-2014, 06:59 PM
It seems like everyone's argument against him not making it as a first is he has no rings. Guess nobody made it their first time without a ring.

P&GRealist
07-23-2014, 07:06 PM
It seems like everyone's argument against him not making it as a first is he has no rings. Guess nobody made it their first time without a ring.

He was great his first 7 yrs, but he's fallen off so drastically these last 3 yrs. It's as if people forget he's still in the league. He's no longer the impactful player he used to be and I don't think he ever will be.

abe_froman
07-23-2014, 07:12 PM
He was great his first 7 yrs, but he's fallen off so drastically these last 3 yrs. It's as if people forget he's still in the league. He's no longer the impactful player he used to be and I don't think he ever will be.

so? why does that matter,

the hall is filled with guys who fit the description you just said(and less).this isnt like the baseball hall in which only 1% get consideration(should/shouldnt is another debate) ,there is no 1st ballot,2nd ,ect hierarchy either.like him or not,he exceeds every standard that exists for the basketball hof

NBA_Starter
07-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Not in my book.

YAALREADYKNO
07-23-2014, 11:15 PM
how does dwight not get in but a guy like chris mullin gets in lol dwight is a future HOFer

Tony_Starks
07-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Nah, not 1st ballot. I think people will hold the fact that he never refined his game against him (assuming he never does). It's not about a ring for me because I consider C Webb 1st ballot, but look at how skilled that guy was. Melo will be 1st ballot, ring or no ring. Same thing.

He'll definitely be a HOF'r eventually on raw talent and stats but I think the bigger story will always be how good he could've been. ( and no MBosstone I don't "hate" or "despise" Dwight so don't take it personal man. I just call it how I see it)

Verbal Christ
07-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Sportswriter voting on HOF: "hmmmmm where is the refined his game box, I don't see it so that I can check it off"

pfffff this guy.

FlashBolt
07-24-2014, 01:28 AM
I know some of you don't even know what 1st ballot hall of famer is so basically it just means you're voted in first instead of the other lesser guys who will be eligible again because they didn't get enough votes.

No question Howard is a 1st-ballot HOF'er. If Mullin is, Howard should be as well. He might not have the rings but countless guys would fit that description. His 4x DPOY warrants at least some consideration while his numbers certainly back him up as well.

Tony_Starks
07-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Sportswriter voting on HOF: "hmmmmm where is the refined his game box, I don't see it so that I can check it off"

pfffff this guy.

I'm sure this is a foreign concept but most great players see the deficiencies in their game and they actually improve them over time. Which I'm sure is of no consequence to you but it may very well be considered by the voters.

As you were......

Cheesesteak
07-24-2014, 02:20 AM
He'll get in. He is the best center in the league right now and has been for the past couple of years. I don't think he ranks very high among the all time greats though, Dwight might be the best at his position right now but he doesn't have the dominance other centers possessed during their primes. Also, Dwight seems almost invisible in games when it comes to the 4th quarter.

MTar786
07-24-2014, 07:43 PM
i never understood the hype with dwight. when i think of his career. It's like he skipped out on his own peak lol. he went from his first few years thinking he'd get better and by like year 9 when theres supposed to be a prime or peak or whatever.. it just goes down hill. He's not good at offense. I feel his Defense was always slightly over rated. He gives up on defense wayyyyy too much. i only ever considered him a good defensive rebounder and a good help defense shot blocker. but nothing dominating in any aspect.

P&GRealist
07-29-2014, 12:19 PM
i never understood the hype with dwight. when i think of his career. It's like he skipped out on his own peak lol. he went from his first few years thinking he'd get better and by like year 9 when theres supposed to be a prime or peak or whatever.. it just goes down hill. He's not good at offense. I feel his Defense was always slightly over rated. He gives up on defense wayyyyy too much. i only ever considered him a good defensive rebounder and a good help defense shot blocker. but nothing dominating in any aspect.

I totally agree

YAALREADYKNO
07-29-2014, 05:27 PM

iverson is a better player than dwight but dwight will get in as a HOFer

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 05:31 PM
I totally agree

It didn't take you long to pull up the other Rockets hate threads that were almost a week old. They ban new threads and you just drag up old ones. You stay classy, pal.

ghettosean
07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Someone said this, I didn't agree with him. I would say after his first 7 yrs and 4 dpoys, 1 finals, it was sure heading that way, but these last 3 yrs haven't helped his case whatsoever.

Mightybosstone is such a wet blanket sometimes... LOL... I still think it's yet to be seen if he will be a 1st ballot HOF but for right now I would have to say yes if he does a whole lot of nothing in Houston then I'll reserve my right to change my mind on this.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Second

mngopher35
07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
I would guess that he is first ballot when he retires but it isn't a guarantee yet.

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Mightybosstone is such a wet blanket sometimes... LOL... I still think it's yet to be seen if he will be a 1st ballot HOF but for right now I would have to say yes if he does a whole lot of nothing in Houston then I'll reserve my right to change my mind on this.

Did you just "LOL" yourself? :pity:

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Second

What exactly does this mean? Do you think he's a second ballot hall of famer? Or are you seconding something that somebody else said? This is a pretty confusing statement.