PDA

View Full Version : Doc: I won't coach Clips if Sterling is still owner

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 05:26 PM
@ramonashelburne: Parsons says that Doc Rivers has told him, 'If Mr. Sterling continues to own the team, he doesn’t think he wants to continue as coach"

Just thinking why the Lakers are still the only team who hasn't hired a head coach yet. Hhhhmmmm

bucketss
07-22-2014, 05:41 PM
parsons? chandler parsons?

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Why make a thread about your pipe dream when this has zero chance of happening? Not only is Sterling getting killed pretty much daily in this case... but even IF he somehow pulls off a miracle upset, the NBA has said it will strip control of the team and sale before things spiral out of control. You guys can settle for Byron Scott.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Dick Parsons. The interim CEO of the Clippers to transition this sale process.

Tony_Starks
07-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Sterling is done. He's already made a spectacle of himself in court, it's all but a formality at this point.

He should take his billion and just go settle down in Mississippi, life will probably make a lot more sense to him down there.....

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Sterling is done. He's already made a spectacle of himself in court, it's all but a formality at this point.

He should take his billion and just go settle down in Mississippi, life will probably make a lot more sense to him down there.....

Have you been following his outbursts on Twitter? Movie material for sure. I'm talking about... shouting "Be a man!!!" over and over at a Lawyer while being questioned.. and showing up to court in flip flops LMAO. The dude is toast.

Tony_Starks
07-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Have you been following his outbursts on Twitter? Movie material for sure. I'm talking about... shouting "Be a man!!!" over and over at a Lawyer while being questioned.. and showing up to court in flip flops LMAO. The dude is toast.

Lol. Yeah it's unreal, I'm like what the hell are his lawyers doing? Even though the guy is a racist jerk it's still pretty messed up they're just collecting checks to let him further make a fool of himself...

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Lol. Yeah it's unreal, I'm like what the hell are his lawyers doing? Even though the guy is a racist jerk it's still pretty messed up they're just collecting checks to let him further make a fool of himself...

The lawyers last night apparently told Donald that they are almost sure they are going to lose the case at this point, which is what led to yesterday's spur of the moment meeting between Steve Ballmer (guy buying Clippers for those not following) and Donald Sterling. Apparently Sterling was asking for settlement money to drop the case and allow the sale to finish. If he thought he had a good chance to win the case, he wouldn't of done that.

As you said I think the lawyers are just trying to get one more huge payday.

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 06:05 PM
I honestly think if he remains owner, then the NBA should just contract the Clippers from the league. That organization has been more bad than good in every facet. The NBA image will continue to take a hit if the Clippers are still a part of the league.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 21s
I don't see anyway Sterling is the owner when the seasons starts. Either Shelly wins this case (likely) or NBA seizes team and sells it.

What I'm saying.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 06:06 PM
I honestly think if he remains owner, then the NBA should just contract the Clippers from the league. That organization has been more bad than good in every facet. The NBA image will continue to take a hit if the Clippers are still a part of the league.

The Clippers actually had the support of the entire league in the playoffs with the "We Are One". NBA commercials, other teams changing their accessories. In other words, none of what you say adds up (not that it's a new phenomenon). Donald Sterling is the problem, the organization itself is filled with class act players, coaches, front office execs.

How many other teams in the league would of handled things so professionally without self detonating? Maybe the Spurs, that's about it.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 50s
Sorry Lakers fans, Doc Rivers won't be the next Lakers coach. Even if he left the Clippers, he has two years left on a 3-year contract.

Clippers would have to let him out of his contract

J4KOP99
07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Why didnt the nba just seize the team in the first place?

L8kers4life
07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 21s
I don't see anyway Sterling is the owner when the seasons starts. Either Shelly wins this case (likely) or NBA seizes team and sells it.

What I'm saying.

Arash Markazi is never right about anything. Silver already said last week, there is still a chance Sterling owns the team when the season starts. As a Lakers fan, I would not want Doc as our coach if he left because of this mess. Doc needs to stick with the Clippers no matter what, otherwise, the players may take a similar stance. Here is the article where Silver says Sterling could still own the team next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-commissioner--donald-sterling-might-still-own-clippers-at-start-of-next-season-050059719.html

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Why didnt the nba just seize the team in the first place?
How many CP3 teams are they going to seize? :laugh2:

L8kers4life
07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Sorry Lakers fans, Doc Rivers won't be the next Lakers coach. Even if he left the Clippers, he has two years left on a 3-year contract.

Man Makazi is an idiot, "sorry Lakers fans, Doc rivers wont be the next coach" no ****, did you figure that out all by yourself, idiot is acting like Lakers fans are expecting him to be the next coach. Any lakers fan that thinks Doc could be the coach is dumber than Markazi.

Cracka2HI!
07-22-2014, 07:12 PM
This is my worst nightmare. I'm not as confidnent as others that the league can oust him by opening day.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Arash Markazi is never right about anything. Silver already said last week, there is still a chance Sterling owns the team when the season starts. As a Lakers fan, I would not want Doc as our coach if he left because of this mess. Doc needs to stick with the Clippers no matter what, otherwise, the players may take a similar stance. Here is the article where Silver says Sterling could still own the team next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-commissioner--donald-sterling-might-still-own-clippers-at-start-of-next-season-050059719.html

That was a PC answer because if by some miracle it was possible, he wouldn't want to be held accountable for a promise if the bidding took a bit longer than expected. That being said, the odds of the Clippers not having a new owner before the season are astronomically low.

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Donald's team is getting obliterated in the court room today by Shelly's lawyers. Shelly won the previous rounds, but it was competitive at least. Today is just a slaughter. I expect a win by next week.

sf-fanatic
07-22-2014, 11:27 PM
The Clippers actually had the support of the entire league in the playoffs with the "We Are One". NBA commercials, other teams changing their accessories. In other words, none of what you say adds up (not that it's a new phenomenon). Donald Sterling is the problem, the organization itself is filled with class act players, coaches, front office execs.

How many other teams in the league would of handled things so professionally without self detonating? Maybe the Spurs, that's about it.

I'm sure every team would have handled it well because the NBA provided a lot of assistance. Did you seriously think every team other than the Spurs would just fold and forfeit the playoff games if they were in that situation ?

Clippersfan86
07-22-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm sure every team would have handled it well because the NBA provided a lot of assistance. Did you seriously think every team other than the Spurs would just fold and forfeit the playoff games if they were in that situation ?

Not necessarily, I just don't think it would have gone as smoothly for almost every other team in the league. NBA officials, analysts, sports writers all pretty much said Doc was the perfect leader to go through a storm like this and keep a locker room together. I just don't see it happening league wide.

apocalypse15
07-23-2014, 12:21 AM
The guy is 80, why hasn't he packed up and left already? I just don't understand the fight. If this never happened he might have passed before ever selling the Clippers and now he has a chance to walk with a billion plus? Unless he thinks the Clips stock is rising sometime soon? He paid 12.5 million for the team originally so if sold at 2 billion he would be making 160 times more than he paid. That's the same as asking someone who purchased a car for $1,000 to sell it for $160,000 and them not wanting to................

Mr.B
07-23-2014, 01:09 AM
Man, he's everywhere this off season isn't he? Haha!

MelanconMadness
07-23-2014, 04:52 AM
I don't even think it's about the money at this point, it's him being a bitter old racist trying to save face. Little does he apparently know, it's too late for that.

Maybe if he were a healthy 50 year old, over time and proving that he's actually willing to try to be a better human being through a changed persona, but he's not 50, and he's not healthy.

If he truly weren't this monster, I would feel remorse, but he's going to die lonely, and hated, and as much as it sucks to say about someone's life ending that way, he did it to himself

It's not about winning or losing in this topic, because I don't even really believe he thinks he will win, it's about prolonging the process, and I don't think silver can seize the ownership during a trial like this. The longer it takes, the more likely this scenerio becomes possible. But personally, I don't believe rivers would leave if sterling is still technically the owner of the franchise when the season starts. Again, sterling doesn't have a chance of winning his team back, maybe he will throw some other owners and the nba under the bus during the trial, but even if he's still in control of the clippers come opening night, it won't be long after that, that he's casted out

Vinny642
07-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Doc is a joke in this situation.

SpecialFNK
07-23-2014, 08:47 AM
see ya later Doc, you can go hang out with the rest of social media that has blown this way out of control.

Doc is under contract, so if he leaves he has to retire? he can't just walk away under contract and think he can come back, isn't that illegal or can whoever is the owner sue him?

any coach or player who thinks they can walk away if Sterling is still owner should be sued/fined. they're under contract.

ankit
07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
If Doc Rivers leaves, Chris Paul is out of there. No im hoping his doesn't happen because the potential for the Clippers to be very good and win titles is evident. They have Paul who is the best point guard, Deandre Jordan who is an awesome center, Blake Griffin who is turning into one heck of a power forward and Jamal Crawford who is the best 6th man. Now you add Doc Rivers and his pedigree you have a major threat and contender for the finals every year.

Munkeysuit
07-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Hell, even I wouldn't coach the Clippers if Sterling still remained a part of the organization...

Pierzynski4Prez
07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
see ya later Doc, you can go hang out with the rest of social media that has blown this way out of control.

Doc is under contract, so if he leaves he has to retire? he can't just walk away under contract and think he can come back, isn't that illegal or can whoever is the owner sue him?

any coach or player who thinks they can walk away if Sterling is still owner should be sued/fined. they're under contract.

I mostly agree with this. Except I don't think any of them will actually give up the millions of dollars to work in the sport of basketball. Money will do the talking in the long run for these guys, right now they're all talk in my opinion. They knew very well of Sterling's history when signing on with the team. They very well knew of Sterling's history when accepting paycheck after paycheck.

torocan
07-23-2014, 10:32 AM

All contracts in the NBA can be disqualified by the league at the discretion of the league... and let's not forget that Parsons works for the NBA, not for Sterling. If Doc Rivers wants out, there's no way that the NBA will hold him to that. I don't see Dick Parsons doing it either... he'll release Rivers well before Donald Sterling is done in court.

From a PR standpoint, it would be an absolute nightmare for the Clippers and the NBA if they tried to enforce the contract if Rivers really wanted out. Force a guy to work for a racist? A guy who already had his house burned down in the South? Ya, try selling THAT to the public.

Yah, good luck with that... the NBA doesn't want that kind of publicity. Same as they'll likely invalidate any player contracts or facilitate trades for anyone who wants out of the Clippers.

The players have 3 major leverage points... first is that there is still the threat of a legal action via the EEOC or State employment law for a hostile work environment, the second is that it would be a true nightmare for the NBA to be perceived as forcing players to play for a person who is publicly viewed as a racist, and the third is that the NBAPA can simply have them walk on the Clippers in a wildcat strike. If the NBA tries to sue to have the players go back to play for the Clippers... just imagine the media nightmare, not to mention the risk of a war between the NBA and NBAPA.

Between public opinion and the support of the other players, people who want to leave the Clippers really will have the leverage. I don't see the NBA standing in their way at all... if anything, I see Silver holding the door open, giving them a nice handshake and then lamenting to the media about how Sterling's actions are further sullying the reputation of the entire league.

Finally, while it's one thing to hear rumors that someone is a racist, or to interpret actions as a racist, it's another to have it put in your face. We all hear rumors about people we work for/with... we often take them with a grain of salt or try to interpret them benignly as it's human nature to see the best in people.

Just think about how many people worked for Joe Paterno despite the whispers in back rooms. Or how many times things are said about someone at work and only later do you go, 'Aha!'. Human beings are often blissfully ignorant and silently complicit in spite of mounting evidence... only when it's staring them right in the face do they realize what a horrible mistake they have made.

BoSox47
07-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Even though I do not think it will come to this. I hope everyone leaves the clippers because the Celtics have their first round pick next season.

Chapin78
07-23-2014, 11:33 AM
I wonder with all this talk of Doc walking away if he is still collecting a paycheck from the team he wants no part of? If he wanted to have no part of this he would have turned off his checking deposit. Doc is looking really bad in this. Don't get me wrong Sterling is a jerk but Doc is also not looking good.

kdspurman
07-23-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't think Doc would leave/not coach if Sterling is still there.

lakerfan85
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM

Thank god!! Can't stand Rivers...

Clippersfan86
07-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Thank god!! Can't stand Rivers...

Better to hire Byron Scott after 57 interviews.

SpecialFNK
07-23-2014, 05:50 PM
All contracts in the NBA can be disqualified by the league at the discretion of the league... and let's not forget that Parsons works for the NBA, not for Sterling. If Doc Rivers wants out, there's no way that the NBA will hold him to that. I don't see Dick Parsons doing it either... he'll release Rivers well before Donald Sterling is done in court.

From a PR standpoint, it would be an absolute nightmare for the Clippers and the NBA if they tried to enforce the contract if Rivers really wanted out. Force a guy to work for a racist? A guy who already had his house burned down in the South? Ya, try selling THAT to the public.

Yah, good luck with that... the NBA doesn't want that kind of publicity. Same as they'll likely invalidate any player contracts or facilitate trades for anyone who wants out of the Clippers.

The players have 3 major leverage points... first is that there is still the threat of a legal action via the EEOC or State employment law for a hostile work environment, the second is that it would be a true nightmare for the NBA to be perceived as forcing players to play for a person who is publicly viewed as a racist, and the third is that the NBAPA can simply have them walk on the Clippers in a wildcat strike. If the NBA tries to sue to have the players go back to play for the Clippers... just imagine the media nightmare, not to mention the risk of a war between the NBA and NBAPA.

Between public opinion and the support of the other players, people who want to leave the Clippers really will have the leverage. I don't see the NBA standing in their way at all... if anything, I see Silver holding the door open, giving them a nice handshake and then lamenting to the media about how Sterling's actions are further sullying the reputation of the entire league.

Finally, while it's one thing to hear rumors that someone is a racist, or to interpret actions as a racist, it's another to have it put in your face. We all hear rumors about people we work for/with... we often take them with a grain of salt or try to interpret them benignly as it's human nature to see the best in people.

Just think about how many people worked for Joe Paterno despite the whispers in back rooms. Or how many times things are said about someone at work and only later do you go, 'Aha!'. Human beings are often blissfully ignorant and silently complicit in spite of mounting evidence... only when it's staring them right in the face do they realize what a horrible mistake they have made.

the NBA greatly caved to public opinion from the start. I don't think Sterling is even this full out racist that people think he is, otherwise he would have used a more colourful word that "black people". not once did he use the N word in a private conversation. I think that's a big deal, and had he used the N word I would be on board with him being a racist. I don't think it was really about race where he hated black people and liked white people, I think it was he felt he was better/above everyone black/white/asian/ect included. I think he's an old filthy rich man who thinks he's better than everyone. not some racist who hates blacks/minorities. Rivers was brought on as a coach and the Clipper have multiple black players.

I personally think the NBA taking away Sterling's team is way more than what should have been done. players in sports make negative comments about homosexuals and are only fine and/or suspended for a short time period. an owner makes a somewhat racist comment and he's banned for life and loses his team? awfully extreme IMO. I can understand why the NBA had to do it, because of the public who overreacted. ideally I think it would have been nice to have Sterling make a public apology and maybe agree to some type of counseling.

after everything the NBA has done to try and take away his team, I hope Sterling fights the NBA as long as possible in court.

goingfor28
07-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Better to hire Byron Scott after 57 interviews.
Lmao

NBA_Starter
07-23-2014, 07:12 PM
I am glad to see Doc take a stand.

dannyy08
07-23-2014, 07:46 PM
@ramonashelburne: Parsons says that Doc Rivers has told him, 'If Mr. Sterling continues to own the team, he doesn’t think he wants to continue as coach"

Just thinking why the Lakers are still the only team who hasn't hired a head coach yet. Hhhhmmmm

There is a big difference between, "I won't coach Clips if Sterling is still owner" and "he doesn't think he wants to continue to coach" if Sterling is still owner.

The headline is a little misleading.

Clippersfan86
07-23-2014, 09:19 PM
There is a big difference between, "I won't coach Clips if Sterling is still owner" and "he doesn't think he wants to continue to coach" if Sterling is still owner.

The headline is a little misleading.

It's P&G, not surprised that he would completely twist something like this. Although I think he's just in denial about the Byron Scott situation and this is the equivalency of drinking his pain away through a forum by implying a pipe dream he has.

Vinylman
07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
any trial updates?

nyKnicks126
07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Doc is being a racist.. :laugh:

Clippersfan86
07-24-2014, 02:25 PM
any trial updates?

The testimony phase ended yesterday. Shelly's team is dominating though and a huge favorite to win. Of Donald's big witness list only two showed up. One gave irrelevant testimony, the other was exposed as a fraud and admitted he was paid 10k to be there. On Monday they give their closing arguments and by next weekend a verdict should be given.

Midnightbottle
07-24-2014, 02:31 PM
why would doc wanna go to the lakers? Even if he could.