PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner signs with Celtics for a portion of the MLE

spreadeagle
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
He should fire his agent, seems like he could of got more, like it for the C's though

Celtics finishing deal for FA Evan Turner, sources tell Herald. He will get a portion of their mid-level exception. https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop

Cal827
07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
He must hate Advanced Stats as much as Rudy Gay did before getting to Sacramento.

In the past, his numbers with the sixers would've gotten him like a 4 year 25-30 million dollar deal. Not anymore though lol

HouRealCoach
07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
I wish he came to NY

Tony_Starks
07-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Sucks for him that he got traded to Indy, otherwise he was about to get paid.

At least he gets another shot at playing time. I'm not as down on him as others, I think he just needs to focus on one aspect of his game. Right now he's decent all around but doesn't do any particular thing great.

DR_1
07-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Wow that's a good deal for Boston. Nice move Ainge.

0nekhmer
07-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Not bad, he's still got potential. Celtics stock piling assets i see.

Iron24th
07-21-2014, 06:06 PM
There were only two reported teams (minny & boston) interested in him, I guess he didn't have much of a choice

JEDean89
07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
dude's a flat out bust, while he has individual potential, i don't see him ever being a player than can help a team win a championship.

ManRam
07-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Wonder how much of a portion. I kinda figured he'd get near-minimum.

It's low risk. Maybe Brad Stevens can fix him up a bit. He has some talent, he's just a dumb basketball player.

Alayla
07-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I started very low on Turner when he was drafted compared to the vast majority.
But it has gotten to the point where a below average player is being talked about like he should be out of the NBA.
I hope he can prove to have a very long and respectable career no one with sanity expected him to be an allstar and there wasnt anyone at that number 2 pick that looked like they would be besides maybe DMC.
I expected then and still expect him to be a 6th man on a strong team and a average starter on weaker teams
He has a place in the NBA becuase he does just enough of everything to keep im on the court (Besides Defense)
Pro's

+Willing Passer
+Above average to good rebounding
+Respectable Handle
+Good Mid Ranged game
+Crafty player there are sometimes he does something that really makes him stand out

Cons
-Shaky 3 point shooter| i think in time this element of his game will improve and will become average
-AWFUL Defender | This was thought to be a potential strength for him but i've never seen it
-Slow maybe its just me but it feels like everything Evan does takes much longer than it really has too he is definitely no elite athelite
-Athleticism as i touched on before its simply not there he looks over matched at the NBA level and isn't really an exciting player most of the time.
-Inconsistent! | For me this is his biggest issue right now you never know what Evan Turner your getting on any given night maybe he will have a well rounded night maybe an excellent one in one area or maybe awful all around and he goes on huge streaks one way or the other will look elite one month and like a scrub another.

Alayla
07-21-2014, 07:12 PM

It's low risk. Maybe Brad Stevens can fix him up a bit. He has some talent, he's just a dumb basketball player.

Strike that Reverse it :P

Blitzace137
07-21-2014, 08:24 PM

The talent is there but he plays selfish I bet a team like the Spurs could turn his career around.

sixer04fan
07-21-2014, 08:37 PM
There's a reason Sixers fans and Pacers fans think he sucks... But hey best of luck Boston.

2-ONE-5
07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
he was never about to get paid. had team had ANY interest it would not have taken a late 2nd from Indy along with a boughtout Granger to get him. he went on a steady decline by the month last year. kid has talent but doesnt have the right attitude or work ethic

ManRam
07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
he was never about to get paid. had team had ANY interest it would not have taken a late 2nd from Indy along with a boughtout Granger to get him. he went on a steady decline by the month last year. kid has talent but doesnt have the right attitude or work ethic

He would have gotten more money, I'd imagine, if he didn't get traded. I say that without knowing the details of this yet...but going to a good team that really needed an offensive spark off the bench and getting buried on the bench undoubtedly hurt. I'm sure it had to have scared away a few good teams. The Heat ultimately declined, but they were interested in him last year, for example.

IndyRealist
07-21-2014, 10:22 PM
He must hate Advanced Stats as much as Rudy Gay did before getting to Sacramento.

In the past, his numbers with the sixers would've gotten him like a 4 year 25-30 million dollar deal. Not anymore though lol

Sucks for him that he got traded to Indy, otherwise he was about to get paid.

At least he gets another shot at playing time. I'm not as down on him as others, I think he just needs to focus on one aspect of his game. Right now he's decent all around but doesn't do any particular thing great.
:shrug:

AWash013
07-22-2014, 12:24 AM
It's completely possible he's looking at the Celtics situation where he can potentially regenerate some of that potential and land himself a more lucrative contract next offseason. He's going to have to battle to win playing time minutes as Boston has a log jam at the forward and guard position's. I don't look at this s a potential player that could be involved in a trade for Kevin Love, but he could be a nice little piece for a contender off the bench, unlike his time in Indiana. He will look to produce on a team that needs production on the offensive end of things, but if he ever wants to strike it big, he needs to play defense. It's a low risk/high reward signing for Boston. Not bad, but certainly not the fireworks one had hoped for.

Boston is stockpiling assets still as they look to make hay next offseason. Doubtful tshall happen unless they make trade's. This addition could be part of that, if not, then his contract is off the books next offseason anyways.

FlashBolt
07-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Him getting sent to Pacers really hurt his market value.. Sucks for him.

Oefarmy2005
07-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Like this signing a lot. Wish he would have signed with the Wolves.

THE MTL
07-22-2014, 01:48 PM
He could have at least gotten the Midlevel. Indy really messed him up.

NBA_Starter
07-22-2014, 08:41 PM
He will have to prove himself all over again.

sixer04fan
07-23-2014, 01:34 AM
I love how "his time on Pacers killed his market value." As if had he finished the year in Philly he would've gotten some big contract.

His market value was exposed when he was traded in the first place. Nobody wanted him at the deadline obviously. Just like nobody wanted him this offseason. He was traded (with Lavoy Allen too, mind you) for a 2nd round pick in the 55-60 range and a worthless salary dump of Danny Granger.

NBA folks do not think highly of Evan Turner. He's a score first guard who happens to be a very below average scorer. His defense is actually terrible. And his rebounding has gotten worse every year. And his attitude is awful. The only thing he's good at still is passing. People in the NBA know this.

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2014, 10:38 AM
He simply has not shot the ball well enough to warrant a sizable contract, and he has not shown improvement.

I think the fact that the Pacers actually got worse when they put him in the rotation hurt him as well.

I like that he has a decent all around game, decent rebound, decent passer, but his is just an inefficient scorer and there isn't a strong defensive game to make ti worth keeping him on the court.

For a team that is confident in their player development, I could see taking a gamble on him, but he's had four years in the NBA to show his stuff and has failed to impress.

Jamiecballer
07-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Someone already nailed this one - he's just a bust, does nothing well at all.