PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Close to Signing Wiggins- (Cannot be Traded for 30 Days)

Nikeman
07-21-2014, 02:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11240046/cleveland-cavaliers-sign-andrew-wiggins-week

- I think this has to happen, as Andrew Wiggins will be paid close to 5 million which the Cavs need to absorb Kevin Love but glad this whole drama ends for 30 days after he signs.

Other news:

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN Jul 17
LeBron intrigued w/Andrew Wiggins' potential but has made clear to Cavs he wants to compete for title now. Going after Love fits message

Also, reports today that Coach K, who is very well respected would trade Wiggins for Love in a heart beat.

Royce Young @EyeOnBasketball about 1 hour ago
Coach K: "Not one second of hesitancy, I'd trade (Wiggins) for Kevin Love" cbsprt.co/1p2m2M3

At the moment, the T-Wolves are just trying to get everything they can for Love, and they are willing to wait until the trade deadline, while the Cavs and Warriors want Love before the season starts.

jaydubb
07-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Cavs playing hard ball with Minnesota.. This is just part of the bidding game.

Minnesota says the prefer klay Thompson to drive up Cleveland's price and Cleveland says **** you Minnesota by saying we are about to sign wiggins

benzni
07-21-2014, 02:37 PM
I wonder what coach K's opinion would be if the Cavs drafted Jabari

Nikeman
07-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Cavs playing hard ball with Minnesota.. This is just part of the bidding game.

Minnesota says the prefer klay Thompson to drive up Cleveland's price and Cleveland says **** you Minnesota by saying we are about to sign wiggins

Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson 24h
Gotten this question a ton: #Twolves prefer Wiggins or Klay? Answer is Wiggins, & it's not real close. Klay still not in play, by the way.

Nikeman
07-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson 20h
Re: Wiggins signing -- correct. RT @Prodeji: @DarrenWolfson @WindhorstESPN it also makes a trade easier to be done from a cap perspective.

They need to use Wiggins' salary for cap purposes to acquire Love

P&GRealist
07-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Klay will be an all-star yearly going forward. Wiggins will become a superstar. Minnesota knows this.

I expect Wiggins to be traded for Love in the very near future.

jaydubb
07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
^^^theres so many conflicting reports out right now.. I really feel like it's a bidding war between Cavs and wolves and warriors are just being used as leverage. I think a love/wiggins trade will happen it's just a matter of at what price

ManRam
07-21-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't think this impacts the potentiality of a Love trade at all.

WSU Tony
07-21-2014, 03:14 PM
This gives the Cavs another 30 days to internally decide if they want to trade Wiggins while having the opportunity to see him train and play for a little while longer. A trade will be easier to make in 30 days with Wiggins being 5 million of the deal sent to Minnesota.

I think a deal still gets done but if I'm Minnesota I find a 3rd team. Trade a MN 2nd rounder for a bad contract to make this deal go though now. No sense in letting the Cavs change their mind in 30 days. If I'm Minnesota I find a way to make this work before Wiggins signs.

JustinTime
07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11240046/cleveland-cavaliers-sign-andrew-wiggins-week

- I think this has to happen, as Andrew Wiggins will be paid close to 5 million which the Cavs need to absorb Kevin Love but glad this whole drama ends for 30 days after he signs.

Other news:

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN Jul 17
LeBron intrigued w/Andrew Wiggins' potential but has made clear to Cavs he wants to compete for title now. Going after Love fits message

Also, reports today that Coach K, who is very well respected would trade Wiggins for Love in a heart beat.

Royce Young @EyeOnBasketball about 1 hour ago
Coach K: "Not one second of hesitancy, I'd trade (Wiggins) for Kevin Love" cbsprt.co/1p2m2M3

At the moment, the T-Wolves are just trying to get everything they can for Love, and they are willing to wait until the trade deadline, while the Cavs and Warriors want Love before the season starts.

Considering he was Jabari Parker's coach that's not saying a lot. I wonder what Bill Self would say about Parker if all of sudden the Buck were interested in Love.

bucketss
07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
lebron should just shut the **** up hes making the negotiations harder.

WSU Tony
07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
lebron should just shut the **** up hes making the negotiations harder.

You don't think that Love was flattered to hear Lebron wanted to play with him? You don't think this flattery would have anything to do with Love extending? Come on man, we all like to get compliments. :)

bucketss
07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
You don't think that Love was flattered to hear Lebron wanted to play with him? You don't think this flattery would have anything to do with Love extending? Come on man, we all like to get compliments. :)

it just shows minny that the cavs are desperate since they want to please bron.

WSU Tony
07-21-2014, 04:39 PM
it just shows minny that the cavs are desperate since they want to please bron.

Don't you think it does both? And don't you think any deal requires at least SOME doing by Kevin Love by extending?

jerellh528
07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't think love will extend for the cavs, he probably would for gs though.

yaswaggin
07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Kevin love- elite rebounder, 3 pt shooter, 3rd in nba in PER, people say his defense is non-existent but i'd say it's about average. Is a top 6 player in the NBA.

Andrew Wiggins- elite athleticism, very good defender, extremely raw offensively, not impressed with his ball handling skills as a SG, looks to be more of a off the ball player his first couple years.

Wiggins has a good chance to reach his potential as a superstarl, but also has a good chance to become another gerald green

Love is a sure thing, consistent 20-10 player night in and out and is only 25.

AWash013
07-22-2014, 12:16 AM
In all honesty, I think this is just a ploy to get Minnesota to back down from its demands and just take Wiggins and salary to make the deal happen right now. I still think even if Wiggins signs this week, that Cleveland is still leading the Love sweepstakes, but may just take a little bit longer. The Warriors could come in anytime with Klay Thompson, but I think at the end of the day, Cleveland is where Live lands. Not overly happy about it being as I'm a Celtics guy but for us, it just won't happen. Cleveland Or bust. Or Warriors I should say.

Avenged
07-22-2014, 12:21 AM
This would be crazy... Love needs the best player in the game to even sniff the playoffs!! Haha. Yeah, I went there!

GREATNESS ONE
07-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Not to mention the Eastern Conference.

FlashBolt
07-22-2014, 12:51 AM
This would be crazy... Love needs the best player in the game to even sniff the playoffs!! Haha. Yeah, I went there!

They were sniffing it this year and would have made it had it not been for Ricky Rubio's lack of offensive game and a pretty crappy cast compared to the other Western teams. No doubt if this was the East, they would have made the playoffs. Against the West? Realistically, only the Bulls, Heat, and Pacers would've had a chance.

I don't think Cleveland can go wrong with either choice. They can keep Wiggins and still have a present and future. They can trade for Love and still have a present and future. Just depends on whether or not they want a better opportunity to win now or later. I'd much rather take Love just because you don't want to waste the best player in the game prime years but you also don't want to potentially waste a top 5 player in the near future.

setman2000
07-22-2014, 01:33 AM
In an ESPN poll 80% of Ohioans said trade Wiggins, Bennett and a #1 for Love. Management has an absolute green light on this trade as far as the fans are concerned.

thechom80
07-22-2014, 04:22 AM
In an ESPN poll 80% of Ohioans said trade Wiggins, Bennett and a #1 for Love. Management has an absolute green light on this trade as far as the fans are concerned.

100% of Minnesotans agree with those 80% of Ohioans. :) I honestly believe that deal is what has been agreed upon, but it's easier to hash out with Wiggins being on the books. They'll just have 30 extra days to tweek the final pieces.

beasted86
07-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Wiggins will become a superstar.

Superstar? You saw Wiggins in college and thought 100% superstar, no doubt about it?

People thought John Wall would also be a superstar based on his athleticism and passing, and it isn't close to happening yet. He's a good all-star player though.

I think Wiggins will be an all-star, but I wouldn't bet on superstar like those types of players are common in the league. Minnesota makes out better trading for Wiggins because they get 4 years of rookie contract vs. 1 year with Klay.

beasted86
07-22-2014, 08:50 AM

Trade isn't a legal CBA trade. I know ESPN loves running with ideas that don't make sense salary cap and CBA wise.

Cavs would have to add in about $3M. They just signed Miller and traded for Haywood, so it can't be them, has to be Thompson or Waiters. Maybe you'll understand why they are reluctant to give up all those players now.

EDIT: I was playing around with the trade machine, they can add in a filler like Felix to bring the salaries over $10M, to make the trade legal. So it won't have to be Thompson or Waiters.

todu82
07-22-2014, 10:29 AM
If I'm the Cavs I keep Wiggins long-term. Guy's going to be better than Love IMO.

VikesTwinsWolve
07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
^^^^^^Your opinion would have you living on the street begging for food if you were a betting man!

WSU Tony
07-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Love is a top 10 player, maybe even top 5. Odds are Wiggins falls short of that status. To find a 25 year old top 10 player no prospect is good enough to not justify that trade.

beasted86
07-22-2014, 12:32 PM
^^^^^^Your opinion would have you living on the street begging for food if you were a betting man!

The Wiggins "surefire superstar" hype train probably got off track sometime back in December at Kansas. It picked back up in March when he dropped 41, but ultimately came to a fire burning wreck when he dropped 4 points and looked inept in their closeout game against Stanford.

Nobody since then has banked on him as a sure fire full blown superstar, but merely a game-changing future all-star caliber player.

JustinTime
07-22-2014, 01:19 PM
The Wiggins "surefire superstar" hype train probably got off track sometime back in December at Kansas. It picked back up in March when he dropped 41, but ultimately came to a fire burning wreck when he dropped 4 points and looked inept in their closeout game against Stanford.

Nobody since then has banked on him as a sure fire full blown superstar, but merely a game-changing future all-star caliber player.

One game doesn't change anything he could have been sick for all we know.

WSU Tony
07-22-2014, 02:16 PM
One game doesn't change anything he could have been sick for all we know.

Where do you see Wiggins' ceiling? Top 10 player? Do you understand there is a chance he'll only be a top 50 type player? You get that there is at the very least a chance of that, right?

If Wiggins ceiling is a top 10 player - why would you not trade him RIGHT NOW for a top 10 player?

JustinTime
07-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Where do you see Wiggins' ceiling? Top 10 player? Do you understand there is a chance he'll only be a top 50 type player? You get that there is at the very least a chance of that, right?

If Wiggins ceiling is a top 10 player - why would you not trade him RIGHT NOW for a top 10 player?

Wiggins ceiling is whatever he wants it to be, he doesn't really have any weaknesses that he can't fix. If he has a Kobe-like work ethic I could definitely see him as a franchise player and much better player than Love. I would also say though that he is much less likely to reach that ceiling on the Cavs because Lebron will only hold him back. If I am the Cavs I trade him because Love is ready now and Lebron may only have a year or so left at the top. but if I'm the Cavs I would also be aware that you may have just traded the next face of the NBA. I'm not saying he'll ever get there but he definitely has the potential.

IKnowHoops
07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
As a Bron fan, I would hope this deal doesn't happen, but if they are only loosing one prospect in wiggins and two draft picks, well at least they don't loose any depth. If they still get to keep TT, Bennett, and waiters then Cavs are still super deep. The depth just shifts more to the PF spot and less at the SG spot. They are definitely a better team next year with the trade, but I still would not want to do it. Coach K likes the deal, and if the Cavs make it then Bron likes the deal too and thats good enough for me to be cool with it. I don't want them to trade for Love though.

VikesTwinsWolve
07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
^^^^^^For a guy who knows hoops, you apparently don't get that the money has to match! They have to give up more then Wiggins and picks....