PDA

View Full Version : For those who play basketball, which decade in NBA would you want to play in?

FlashBolt
07-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Whether it be for the: rules, money, competition, etc.,
1) Which decade fits your game the most
2) Which decade would you want to play in (can use salary as a reason but not "2011-2020 will have iPhone 35).

Decade begins the with e.g 1961-1970.

DemarDerozan
07-19-2014, 02:28 AM
'80's. Purest and most competitive. Plus refs let them play and most players had pride/loyalty.

Bird- Never left
Isiah- Never left
Magic- Never left

They were trying to beat each other rather than team up.
Also, there was no such thing as flopping.

Hulk6
07-19-2014, 03:24 AM
now, so i can get the max for being a scrub

NYKNYGNYY
07-19-2014, 04:12 AM
Now cus I'm only 5'11 n don't wanna get the **** beat outta me in the paint...oh n the $ ain't bad

3ballbomber
07-19-2014, 04:26 AM
w/ a bad back & bum rotator cuffs. i couldn't survive the 80's or early 90's.......the game is soft & players are such pansies today that i could probably score 12ppg

bucketss
07-19-2014, 04:52 AM
i want to get paid as much as possible, so this current Era would be my choice. ben gordon recently got a 2 year 9 million contract lol i mean come on.

JasonJohnHorn
07-19-2014, 08:28 AM
90's

They had the deepest C/PF and a LOT of great point guards, plus some guy named Jordan AND they got PAID in the 90's.

valade16
07-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Considering my one plus skill is 3-pt shooting it'd have to be today. In my rec league I average 7 3-pt attempts a game, you couldn't get away with that in any other era lol

Goose17
07-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Bird- Never left
Isiah- Never left
Magic- Never left

They were trying to beat each other rather than team up.

Also, there was no such thing as flopping.

They didn't have to leave to team up, the management was capable of teaming them up with other stars through trades and drafting etc. Unfortunately some front offices are so incompetent, they can't build around a superstar so that superstar has to take things into his own hands.

Also, flopping did exist, the fact that you think it didn't makes me wonder how familiar you are with that era. Bill Laimbeer is one of the most well known floppers in the history of the league, possibly the worst ever. You also had Miller (late 80s as a rook), Danny Ainge, B.Free, to name the main culprits.

Flopping is more prevalent now than it was then but to say it didn't exist at all is just foolish. The changing of the rules has more to do with flopping than the players, if 80s players played with todays rules they would most certainly be flopping just as much. The hand checking rule in particular was a massive part of it, with hand checking rules in place, players can flop while driving to the basket and referees will be forced to call a foul. Personally I think the removal of hand checking from the NBA has been a positive development but it has come with some unfortunate consequences.

Anyway... I would play in todays era, because I'm small and there's a d-league.

goingfor28
07-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Today
My only ever plus $kill wa$ 3 pt $hooting. And the $$$ now i$ $o much higher

nickdymez
07-19-2014, 11:35 AM
All I know is that this Era is the worst ever. I'd probably want to play in the 90s where great players were just great players. Not because ESPN made your mind up for you

IndyRealist
07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Now because you can't touch a wing player or shooter. If you drive to the rim and get hit, it's a flagrant these days. Plus, the money's better than it ever has been.

DemarDerozan
07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
They didn't have to leave to team up, the management was capable of teaming them up with other stars through trades and drafting etc. Unfortunately some front offices are so incompetent, they can't build around a superstar so that superstar has to take things into his own hands.

Also, flopping did exist, the fact that you think it didn't makes me wonder how familiar you are with that era. Bill Laimbeer is one of the most well known floppers in the history of the league, possibly the worst ever. You also had Miller (late 80s as a rook), Danny Ainge, B.Free, to name the main culprits.

Flopping is more prevalent now than it was then but to say it didn't exist at all is just foolish. The changing of the rules has more to do with flopping than the players, if 80s players played with todays rules they would most certainly be flopping just as much. The hand checking rule in particular was a massive part of it, with hand checking rules in place, players can flop while driving to the basket and referees will be forced to call a foul. Personally I think the removal of hand checking from the NBA has been a positive development but it has come with some unfortunate consequences.

Anyway... I would play in todays era, because I'm small and there's a d-league.

You will never win the "today's superstars had to team up to win argument". Your argument is pathetic and transparent and somewhat reflective of today's society. Everyone gets a trophy and people in general are more prone to take the easy way out. The Spurs did it the right way and there are plenty of other competent GMs and owners in the league.

Of course some players in the '80s flopped. But it wasn't a phenomenon like it is today. Flopping has become a much larger part of the game that correlates with the number of weak players in the league.

The only player on your Warriors team that would have a chance in the 80s is AI.

Tony_Starks
07-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Today. No hand check. Can't impede offensive players progress. Lots of euros and athletically challenged white guys.

Yeah today....

Hawkeye15
07-19-2014, 01:16 PM
the free flowing 80's where my lack of desire to guard anyone would have been seen as the norm

Chronz
07-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Definitely the 80s, the only thing i can do is run the floor. Rather play vs twigs 1 on 1 than have to deal with a zone. I hate when teams on the streets puss out by going zone

Goose17
07-19-2014, 03:19 PM
You will never win the "today's superstars had to team up to win argument". Your argument is pathetic and transparent and somewhat reflective of today's society. Everyone gets a trophy and people in general are more prone to take the easy way out. The Spurs did it the right way and there are plenty of other competent GMs and owners in the league.

lol none of that makes any sense, first of all, what makes you think you've won the argument? Who decides? My argument isn't pathetic, it's the truth. It's a fact that the Cavs management is/was awful and incapable of building around Lebron, so why shouldn't Lebron take it into his own hands?

Would you have been happier if Lebron and Bosh demanded trades to Miami? I mean most of the 80s and 90s big 3s were built through trades (some through drafting). Would that make it better in your mind?

I see no reason why it should matter how a big 3 is formed, do you honestly believe Jordan or any of the stars you mentioned would have stayed where they were if the management repeatedly failed to build a team around them? You think those guys would have spent their entire career on a team that wasn't capable of winning a title?

And what's with this "everyone gets a trophy" crap, I never said anything like that. By teaming up you make sure nobody but you and your boys get a trophy. It's literally the opposite of that. What are you even talking about right now?

Of course some players in the '80s flopped. But it wasn't a phenomenon like it is today. Flopping has become a much larger part of the game that correlates with the number of weak players in the league.

So why did you say it didn't exist? "There was no such thing as flopping".

And it has nothing to do with "weak" players, that's nonsense. It's to do with the rule changes more than anything, anybody who knows anything about basketball can see that. I would like to see you walk up to any big man in the league and call him weak smh, what a foolish notion.

The only player on your Warriors team that would have a chance in the 80s is AI.

I don't see why that's relevant, especially considering your username is Demar DeRozan, a guy that would have been destroyed in said era. What does any of this matter? Do you think by mentioning my Warriors you will get a rise out of me? I don't care for that sort of thing, this is irrelevant to the discussion, now you're just rambling.

Oh and for the record, I'm pretty confident that Steph and Jermaine O'Neal would have succeeded.

Most people who believe what you do are people with rose tinted glasses, reminiscing on times gone by or people who didn't live in that era and just say things like this because they think it makes them cool and a "true fan" or whatever.

Goose17
07-19-2014, 03:21 PM
All I know is that this Era is the worst ever.

Opinion, not fact, stop stating it as such.

NBA_Starter
07-19-2014, 08:45 PM
The 80's, if you are not bleeding then no fouls.

tm95835
07-19-2014, 11:30 PM
50s, 60s for sure, before jerry west turned up so I could introduce dribbling with two hands to the world and be the logo. Just use heaps of crossovers and defenders are mind ****ed

Hawkeye15
07-19-2014, 11:44 PM

you don't bleed a lot when they don't touch you....

Hawkeye15
07-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Definitely the 80s, the only thing i can do is run the floor. Rather play vs twigs 1 on 1 than have to deal with a zone. I hate when teams on the streets puss out by going zone

I used to love zone, only because I was Mark Price from outside back in the day haha

bucketss
07-19-2014, 11:48 PM

theres nothing pathetic about the argument, not every team has a spurs like organization, who btw tanked that one year to draft duncan(while robinson was injured)

Aust
07-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Now for the money. And I wouldn't want to live in the earlier decades when I can live in the current one.

cmellofan15
07-20-2014, 12:00 AM
not really sure some of you guys have seen basketball from other eras.

anyways, I'd love to play in the 80's. Ideally I'd be a few inches taller and run the floor at the PF position. I really love playing in transition, on defense and offense. I'd lay low in the half court defense, crash boards and run the length of the floor on both ends. I can already dunk fairly well (for a random guy in a pickup game), but make me 6'7" or 6'8" and I think I'd be a pretty decent piece :laugh2:

kingkenny01
07-20-2014, 12:27 AM
The 40's so I'm not the shortest player on the team

DemarDerozan
07-20-2014, 01:12 AM
Demar DeRozan, a guy that would have been destroyed in said era.

Oh and for the record, I'm pretty confident that Steph and Jermaine O'Neal would have succeeded.

Demar would have a better chance than Steph based on longevity more than skill.

Curry wouldn't even be able to make eye contact with defenders like Joe Dumars or Michael Cooper before spraining his ankles.

Hotone1401
07-20-2014, 01:26 AM

I completely agree. The excessive flopping has to do more with the weak mentality of this generation of players. Otherwise, we'd be seeing players like KG, Kobe, Shaq, and Duncan flop but they didn't/don't. Rule changes facilitated some of the flopping we see today but that should in no way be an excuse for the amount of ridiculously soft players we see today.

Goose17
07-20-2014, 04:26 AM
I completely agree. The excessive flopping has to do more with the weak mentality of this generation of players. Otherwise, we'd be seeing players like KG, Kobe, Shaq, and Duncan flop but they didn't/don't. Rule changes facilitated some of the flopping we see today but that should in no way be an excuse for the amount of ridiculously soft players we see today.

There were plenty of floppers in previous generations.

east fb knicks
07-20-2014, 05:04 AM
90's I would have love to play against players like ewing mj olajuwan Iverson grant hill in his prime barkley malone i love the 90's I still to this day watch any old 90's match up when they play vintage games on nba tv

Hotone1401
07-20-2014, 05:30 AM
There were plenty of floppers in previous generations.

Are you suggesting that there have been just as many at any one point in the past as there has been in the recent 3 or 4 years? I hope not. I guess this is where you tell me flopping has always been part of the game. Ok, but to what extent? The frequent and blatant flops from this generation of players is just ridiculous.

I've been watching the NBA for almost 30 yrs and never ever could have predicted flopping has gotten. It's one of my biggest pet peeves to watch a player act like he's been shot after little or no contact. The players of the 80's and early 90's played the game expecting contact and got right back up after some of the most brutal hits. The players today fall to ground and cry for calls much too frequent for me to not say something about it.

I guess my point is that the mindset is the biggest difference to me. Players entered a league full of grown men who weren't going to give you anything. With so many young players coming into the league this past generation we really started to see the league baby a lot of them is all I'm trying to say. I'm not sure when it exactly happened but that's the main reason I loved watching guys like Kobe, Timmy, and KG play all these years. No BS, no acting, and they just played the game the way I've been accustomed to watching throughout my years.

eso
07-20-2014, 05:46 AM
w/ a bad back & bum rotator cuffs. i couldn't survive the 80's or early 90's.......the game is soft & players are such pansies today that i could probably score 12ppg

No you couldn't.

xbrackattackx
07-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I would wanna play at the very beginning when it was new and everyone was still learning the game. I would already know it and be a step ahead. I would destroy those guys and have monster stats. Just off b ball IQ most wouldn't have yet. Look like wilt out there...lol

KnicksorBust
07-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Tough because I like how sophisticated the game is becoming but I also like contact and to play in the post. My game probably best fits the 90s.

I Rock Shaqs
07-20-2014, 09:44 AM
If anybody says anything other than now they are a moron. You get paid 1000x more, less physical and way better medical staff's and workout regimes and a million other better stuff.

Goose17
07-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Are you suggesting that there have been just as many at any one point in the past as there has been in the recent 3 or 4 years? I hope not. I guess this is where you tell me flopping has always been part of the game. Ok, but to what extent? The frequent and blatant flops from this generation of players is just ridiculous.

I've been watching the NBA for almost 30 yrs and never ever could have predicted flopping has gotten. It's one of my biggest pet peeves to watch a player act like he's been shot after little or no contact. The players of the 80's and early 90's played the game expecting contact and got right back up after some of the most brutal hits. The players today fall to ground and cry for calls much too frequent for me to not say something about it.

I guess my point is that the mindset is the biggest difference to me. Players entered a league full of grown men who weren't going to give you anything. With so many young players coming into the league this past generation we really started to see the league baby a lot of them is all I'm trying to say. I'm not sure when it exactly happened but that's the main reason I loved watching guys like Kobe, Timmy, and KG play all these years. No BS, no acting, and they just played the game the way I've been accustomed to watching throughout my years.

Read my previous posts the answers to all of that are in there.

Flopping has always existed.
More common now.
Due to rule changes, not "toughness" of players.

End of discussion.

archdevil84
07-20-2014, 10:17 AM
they should just get rid of flopping. giving out 5000 fines isnt gonna work. whenever you flop, youre suspended for like 10 games. next flop costs 20 games etc. that way players would get a good punishment for flopping

Chronz
07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
I used to love zone, only because I was Mark Price from outside back in the day haha

Im a slasher bro, I can break down most average street defenses (usually play against guys much smaller than 6"2), I have a surprisingly quick first step and a strong gather off the bounce, so when I see 2 players literally hold hands to zone me up, all I can think about is how easy Bird and Magic had it in comparison. Yes, Ive just compared myself to the GOATs.

Chronz
07-20-2014, 12:38 PM
50s, 60s for sure, before jerry west turned up so I could introduce dribbling with two hands to the world and be the logo. Just use heaps of crossovers and defenders are mind ****ed
Just be careful to not try any fancy crossovers, you'll lead the league in turnovers.

Pretty sure that was the 60's/70's, the 80's saw very little physicality in comparison to that . 80's were downright fluff for the majority of the decade.

Chronz
07-20-2014, 12:40 PM
the main reason I loved watching guys like Kobe, Timmy, and KG play all these years. No BS, no acting, and they just played the game the way I've been accustomed to watching throughout my years.
Im guessing Kobe's arm flailing isn't considered a flop, Im also guessing KG is beloved for his antics on midget players and his refusal to bang down low vs the big boys throughout his career was totally manly.

Duncan is and always will be a G tho.

Tough because I like how sophisticated the game is becoming but I also like contact and to play in the post. My game probably best fits the 90s.

Why go into the 90's when the 80's were just a softer version of them? 90's is when the physicality started ramping back up to prior levels. 2K era had more physicality than the 80's only you had to deal with zones so F that.

JAZZNC
07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
The 90s. You could put your hands on a guy on defense and not immediately get a whistle. That and i feel it was the golden age of the big man. Im pretty damn short but I always wanted to play down low and practiced all sorts of post moves, hook shots with both hands, back to the basket and face up moves. I abused people my size in the post! If I had just been over a foot taller haha!

SLY WILLIAMS
07-21-2014, 09:47 AM
The late 80's and 90's. NBA hoops should have some physicality and post game.

I think we went too much in the direction of international play in the last decade.

ManRam
07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
1949-50. If there's a chance I can make it without being an elite athlete, I'd pick the earliest date possible. If any of us stepped on an NBA court today with the athletes that exist now, it would be an utter bloodbath.

I mean, it's a bloodbath either way because I'm not terribly great at basketball.