PDA

View Full Version : Rondo the best PG in the game?

RLundi
07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Cousins, speaking with Bill Simmons of Grantland, was talking about Blake Griffin when the Kings center turned the discussion to Paul.
Simmons: “I thought you guys had a little beef, right?”
Cousins: “Nah.”
Simmons: “Nothing?”
Cousins: “Just a little rivalry, but I don’t have a problem with Blake.”
Simmons: “Didn’t you guys almost get in a fight once?”
Cousins: “No.”
Simmons: “Altercation? Argument?”
Simmons: “Nothing?”
Simmons: “You sure? I feel like I was at a game where that might have happened.”
Simmons: “There was some talking?”
Cousins: “Probably me and CP, but not me and Blake. I don’t have a problem with Blake.”
Simmons: “Oh, you’re one of the guys who doesn’t like – there’s a lot of guys who CP kind of bugs.”
Cousins: “Yeah, I dislike CP a lot.”
Simmons: “CP does a lot of talking.”
Cousins: “I know.”
Simmons: What if you saw him off the court? You’d be OK with him, right?”
Cousins: “I don’t have a problem.”
Simmons: “The good news is you’re like 12 inches taller than him if you ever have – he’s like 5-10.”
Cousins: “I know. That’s usually how it goes. It’s the small ones.””
Simmons: “Could you play with somebody like that, who’s just like a Chihuahua, just barking at everybody for three hours?”
Cousins: “Yeah, because I’m the same way.”

I love that Cousins essentially admits that he dislikes Paul because they play for different teams. That’s really the root of the whole issue. Put them on the same team, and they’d be best buds. Now, though, there’s nothing to link them.
Later, the conversation turns to another polarizing player, Rajon Rondo.

Simmons: So you think Rondo is the best point guard in the league?
Cousins: Absolutely.
Simmons: How much of that has to do with the fact that you and Chris Paul don’t like each other that much.
Cousins: Nothing at all.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/17/demarcus-cousins-on-chris-paul-i-dislike-cp-a-lot/

Evidently, Blake and DMC are cool despite a couple of instances but he really disliked CP3, which I can understand because he can be pretty annoying.

But this BS about Rondo? Hate at its finest. Chris Paul is LEVELS ahead of Rondo.

Thoughts?

goingfor28
07-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Cute

chi-townlove1
07-18-2014, 08:21 PM
True point guard. I see nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't pick a single PG over rondo if I wanted a pass first ideal point guard

Sportfan
07-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Let's wait till we see post ACL Rondo

likemystylez
07-18-2014, 08:28 PM
True point guard. I see nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't pick a single PG over rondo if I wanted a pass first ideal point guard

Id take chris paul for sure- and maybe d williams over rondo (as true pgs)

sens#11fan
07-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Exactly, Rondo and CP3 are a coin toss for best PG, in terms of pass first. However, if you judge Rondo in terms of being a better player vs. the other PGs than CP3, Parker/Westy/Curry, Lillard, Rose, Kyrie>Rondo. Can't lie though Rondo kinda stat pads his assists, he would give up an open layup just to get an assist and sometimes he gives up easy points for himself just to get an assist, hurting his team. Although, he is not the only one to do so.

NBA_Starter
07-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Maybe best pure PG.

Tony_Starks
07-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Rondo went to Kentucky fellas....

Hawkeye15
07-18-2014, 09:07 PM
wtf does "true", or "pure" PG mean?

Rondo is nowhere near the top PG in the game.

Greedy22
07-18-2014, 09:11 PM

I'm wondering the same and agree, Idk how it'd be a tough choice between those 2, Paul has been the best PG the last 6-7 years.

chi-townlove1
07-18-2014, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeye15;28813986]wtf does "true", or "pure" PG mean?

Rondo is nowhere near the top PG in the game.[/QUOTE

That means a guy who envisions himself as the 5th scorer out there. A guy who looks to dish the rock to someone else who has a possibility of scoring. A guy who can create opportunities for others to score.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2014, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeye15;28813986]wtf does "true", or "pure" PG mean?

Rondo is nowhere near the top PG in the game.[/QUOTE

That means a guy who envisions himself as the 5th scorer out there. A guy who looks to dish the rock to someone else who has a possibility of scoring. A guy who can create opportunities for others to score.

well then I don't want a "pure", or "true" PG on my team. A lead guard runs both sides of the floor, and does what is necessary for his team to run efficiently.

I usually find the terms are used for PG's who suck at scoring, and need scorers around them to be on a winning team. Hence, not the best PG's at all...

Aust
When the heck are the C's going to finally trade him?

Hawkeye15
I'm wondering the same and agree, Idk how it'd be a tough choice between those 2, Paul has been the best PG the last 6-7 years.

Paul? Hell, give me plenty more before I take Rondo.

Greedy22
07-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Paul? Hell, give me plenty more before I take Rondo.
Won't get any argument from me, those were the 2 being talked about though.

seikou8
07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
see the sig nuff siad

JustinTime
07-18-2014, 09:36 PM
What has Paul ever won?

JoeDirt05
07-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Cp3 and lillard say hi

Hawkeye15
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
What has Paul ever won?

wonder how much CP3 would have loved Rondo's rosters from 08-11'....

Iggz53
07-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Idk, but I'm sure it also means DeAndre Jordan is the best pure center and Gary Neal is the best pure SG.

Jets012
07-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Rondo isn't even top 12 which makes this quite laughable. In fact, he might not even be top 15 anymore.

Paul/Lillard/Parker/Curry/Westy/Conley/Lowry/Lawson/Wall/Dragic

Those are 10 you easily take over Rondo. At least any intelligent fan does.

D-Will/Bledsoe/Jrue/IT are another 4 I really think are easily over Rondo.

Then you get to the Jeff Teague tier, Teague I also think in most cases I'd take over Rondo.

And this isn't even including D-Rose who is a ? at the moment.

JustinTime
07-18-2014, 10:03 PM
wonder how much CP3 would have loved Rondo's rosters from 08-11'....

He's got a pretty good one right now and isn't doing much with it.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2014, 10:04 PM

in no way, shape, or form is Rondo anywhere near Paul's level. I can probably name another 8-9 I would rather have right now.

Duncan = Donkey
07-18-2014, 10:07 PM
No way

Lil Rhody
07-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Wish some gms in the league thought this so we could dump him and start the Smart project

Chronz
07-18-2014, 11:51 PM
I enjoyed him admitting it wasn't personal, who knows how true that is but somehow this interview softened his image for me. Man the west is loaded beyond belief if Cousins gets some help this year.

Chronz
07-18-2014, 11:53 PM

Hes done plenty IMO, but plz dont compare his team to one of the greatest defensive squads of all time. Rondo was his teams 4th best player for a stretch there.

tdg823
07-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Buncha Rondo haters in here! Just kidding I hate that word... Yes Rondo is overrated, but I think he's undervalued by the people that don't play ball and see it in terms of numbers and letters. That's a complimentary view, not a complete one, just as the opposite (play, don't get into the "analytics) is true.

FlashBolt
07-19-2014, 01:04 AM
I'm a huge Rondo fan and I own only 6 NBA jerseys - he's one of them I have. DC is stupid for this. Rondo at his best might crack top 5 but unless he becomes more of an offensive threat, he's not going to hit top 5. There's only so much you can do just passing the ball around. Steve Nash could pass and score - which is why he was so good at leading the offense. Don't see what Rondo can offer as a leader and lead his team.

PurpleLynch
07-19-2014, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE=chi-townlove1;28814014]

well then I don't want a "pure", or "true" PG on my team. A lead guard runs both sides of the floor, and does what is necessary for his team to run efficiently.

I usually find the terms are used for PG's who suck at scoring, and need scorers around them to be on a winning team. Hence, not the best PG's at all...

I agree. By the way,how is it going the Rubio's situation? :D

hugepatsfan
07-19-2014, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=chi-townlove1;28814014]

There are some players who suck at defense and need defenders around them but we don't give them nearly the crap we give guys who suck at scoring and need help in that area. And for what it's worth, Rondo got assists at a higher rater per 36 last year on our tankapalooza squad as he did in 08-09 or 09-10 and just 0.2 APG per 36 lower than he did in 10-11. Those are the years he played with good teams and had scorers around him. People act like Rondo needs a team of entirely all stars to be any good. It's not true. He's a very good individual player. KG, PP and Ray were HOF caliber when they got here but they were all past their prime. As they got older they were no longer the star studded cast their names had people believing. Really from the second year of the Big 3 until the end, Rondo was most important offensive player IMO. Where Rondo really benefited playing with that group was on defense. That team as a whole made him look good on that end when he really sucks. On offense, people really overrate how much they did for him though. I really think he did more for those guys than they did for him.

I'm not a huge Rondo supporter so don't take this as me saying he's some sort of great player. My issue with him is that I think he's more of a talent than a guy I want to have on my team. He's a terrific ball handler and passer but in order for him to use that skill he needs to be ball dominant. When he doesn't have the ball he's a burden on the offense. Philosophically, I don't believe you should have a ball dominant player unless he's some sort of God-like talent. Rondo obviously doesn't fit that. I think Rondo's a much better individual player than a lot of PGs that I would still want over him on my team for that reason. He needs a team of guys who can score off the ball. Everyone needs some sort of players around them because no one except Lebron really) has a near perfect game all around. I think finding guys who can score off the ball is just too hard to do. It's not a trait I think enough players work on.

hugepatsfan
07-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Exactly, Rondo and CP3 are a coin toss for best PG, in terms of pass first. However, if you judge Rondo in terms of being a better player vs. the other PGs than CP3, Parker/Westy/Curry, Lillard, Rose, Kyrie>Rondo. Can't lie though Rondo kinda stat pads his assists, he would give up an open layup just to get an assist and sometimes he gives up easy points for himself just to get an assist, hurting his team. Although, he is not the only one to do so.

He pads his assist totals a lot when he gets a breakaway. He always lets the big get a layup if he runs the floor and it's just those 2 ahead of the defense. I don't think it hurts the team when he does that. In fact, I think it's a great motivator to get bigs to run the floor. I love when he does that. It does pad his assist total but it also makes his scoring numbers look worse. So if people want to complain that the assist totals are inflated then they have to realize that the assist are coming from scoring. So if you're talking about him as a player you can't just criticize the assist totals as inflated and then in the next sentence talk about he's just a 10 PPG player.

Other times in the half court, I think he does get too cute with passes. In those cases I don't think it's about padding his stats. I think it's about how horrendous he is at free throws. I think the more and more his FTs have continued to suck the more he's tried to avoid taking them. He doesn't go to the hoop as hard anymore looking to scorer because he doesn't want to get fouled. So he passes out of layups he should take.

Jarvo
07-20-2014, 12:22 AM
Lmao at Rondo isn't a top 10 PG

I like Rondo also more than Paul as PG because he is more tougher and not a cry baby, Yeah he is better at scoring but just give me Rondo to lead the floor.

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 12:43 AM
Rondo is closer to 15 than he is to 1 at this point.

bootypants
07-20-2014, 12:45 AM
Not having Rondo in Top 10 PG is absolutely ludicrous & you are just lying to yourself because you don't like the guy.

He is a floor general. He gets the ball where it needs to be, when it needs to be. He can run in transition, control the tempo & slow it down in the 4th when he needs to. He has great composure. Half of these guys you all are naming ahead of him have proven nothing and still lack leadership skills as well as not being able to close games as the PG of their team.

I HATE Rondo, i truly do. I hate the celtics, but that is just foolish to sit here and say someone like Ty Lawson is better than Rajon Rondo.

Jarvo
07-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Rondo is closer to 15 than he is to 1 at this point.

:laugh:

Jarvo
07-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Rondo isn't even top 12 which makes this quite laughable. In fact, he might not even be top 15 anymore.

Paul/Lillard/Parker/Curry/Westy/Conley/Lowry/Lawson/Wall/Dragic

Those are 10 you easily take over Rondo. At least any intelligent fan does.

D-Will/Bledsoe/Jrue/IT are another 4 I really think are easily over Rondo.

Then you get to the Jeff Teague tier, Teague I also think in most cases I'd take over Rondo.

And this isn't even including D-Rose who is a ? at the moment.

Lmao :laugh: I really hope you're joking, Rose/Curry/ Westy and maybe even Lillard are really SG playing the point and to say you'll take Lawson, Teague and those other guys before Rondo you must be on a molly. Even though I love Conley/ Wall/ Dragic / Jrue and Bledsoe they arent better at playing the point than Rondo.

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 12:25 PM
:laugh:
you can take the offense killer if u want (has never lead a top 10 offense with 3 friggin hall of famers on his team). I'll roll with the 7-8 pg's I think are better.

Jarvo
07-20-2014, 12:30 PM
you can take the offense killer if u want (has never lead a top 10 offense with 3 friggin hall of famers on his team). I'll roll with the 7-8 pg's I think are better.

The hell with that, I'll take those Final trips and the ring instead.

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 12:31 PM
The hell with that, I'll take those Final trips and the ring instead.
lol he wasn't even an important player in the title team. he was basically Chalmers or Fisher....probably even lower than those guys since he didn't even make big shots.

FlashBolt
07-20-2014, 01:16 PM
You guys are so disrespectful. Rondo is a top 10 pg easy and he's also top 5 (Give me Curry, Westbrook, Paul, Parker) if we are talking about Rondo before he got injured. I think his absence has truly damaged your memory.

tredigs
07-20-2014, 01:21 PM
All I know is that I listened to that interview a few days ago and it was tough. Cousins is an idiot.

Just Accept It
07-20-2014, 01:30 PM
How quickly people forget. Let me know when CP3 performs like this in the playoffs. Let alone leads a team to a ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O9JdXWP5FA

Method28
07-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Not having Rondo in Top 10 PG is absolutely ludicrous & you are just lying to yourself because you don't like the guy.

He is a floor general. He gets the ball where it needs to be, when it needs to be. He can run in transition, control the tempo & slow it down in the 4th when he needs to. He has great composure. Half of these guys you all are naming ahead of him have proven nothing and still lack leadership skills as well as not being able to close games as the PG of their team.

I HATE Rondo, i truly do. I hate the celtics, but that is just foolish to sit here and say someone like Ty Lawson is better than Rajon Rondo.

The attributes you listed in the beginning are a pgs job. Just about every pg in the league controls the tempo...they have the ball in their hands.

Flat out, when a team backs away from you in a game 7 of the finals when you have the ball in your hands, DARING you to hit a 15 ft jumper... And you still can't do it - that's either because you have a MAJOR hole in your game or you have no composure.

Jarvo
07-20-2014, 03:07 PM
lol he wasn't even an important player in the title team. he was basically Chalmers or Fisher....probably even lower than those guys since he didn't even make big shots.

He didn't have to because he set them up

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 03:08 PM
He didn't have to because he set them up
no he didn't he wasn't the main playmaker then like he became later. He never handled the ball nearly as much and he had way less assists on the title team.

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 03:09 PM
How quickly people forget. Let me know when CP3 performs like this in the playoffs. Let alone leads a team to a ring.

he didn't lead the team to the ring. pierce and kg did.

RLundi
07-20-2014, 03:23 PM
You guys are so disrespectful. Rondo is a top 10 pg easy and he's also top 5 (Give me Curry, Westbrook, Paul, Parker) if we are talking about Rondo before he got injured. I think his absence has truly damaged your memory.

Top 5? No, not at all. Maybe top 10.

CP3, Westbrook, Curry, Rose, Parker, Wall are all assuredly better. After that though, it's pretty wide open. He's not elite but he is second-tier, though I'd argue he's low on that spectrum.

For me:

Paul
Westbrook
Curry
Rose (if healthy)
Parker
Wall
Irving
Lillard
Rondo (if healthy)
Conley
Dragic
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
Teague

FlashBolt
07-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Top 5? No, not at all. Maybe top 10.

CP3, Westbrook, Curry, Rose, Parker, Wall are all assuredly better. After that though, it's pretty wide open. He's not elite but he is second-tier, though I'd argue he's low on that spectrum.

For me:

Paul
Westbrook
Curry
Rose (if healthy)
Parker
Wall
Irving
Lillard
Rondo (if healthy)
Conley
Dragic
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
Teague

And you're basing this off no factual evidence so saying "No, not at all." doesn't provide much emphasis. To put Lillard, Irving, and Wall ahead of Rondo is a bit premature. I did say we're talking about a healthy Rondo - one who put up 17 points, 12 assists, and 7 rebounds per game in 2012 playoffs. He's a better defender, rebounder, and passer than those guys you listed - who are just better scorers.

ManRam
07-20-2014, 03:58 PM

Is it really "ideal" though?

phantasyyy
07-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Some of you guys are severely under rating Rondo.. lmao. Sure he has offensive holes in his game but he's a terrific defender when he decides not to gamble much..

And yes he was an integral part of the Celtics team, you guys are underrating his impact on that Celtics team from 07-11' sure, he didn't score a lot but he was the focal point of that offense getting everybody their shots in rythym.

I'd personally rate him just outside/on the barrier of the top 5... with Paul, Lillard, and Parker all ahead of him for sure. (Curry/Westy make up the remaining 5)

KingstonHawke
07-20-2014, 04:16 PM

This is the ultimate dumb. A PG that can't shoot means that everyone else has to be an above average outside shooter at least just to get the court spaced decently. That means he couldn't play with Jordan or Wade! Rondo is the most overrated PG maybe all time. Every time someone says that the Lakers should deal for him I cringe. Lakers are going to win so many games with the PG doubling down on Kobe hard as hell every time he catches the ball... no!

archdevil84
07-20-2014, 04:51 PM
rondo just needs a jump shot. can you imagine him with a solid jumper? I'm not realy good at comparing him to other point guard but i do think people underrate him a little. He's a good leader and usually gets other teammates going. i'd say CP3, Tony parker, Rose, curry, Conley are all certainly better in my opinion. other like damian lillard, John wall and RWB etc have a very good case to be better then rondo but can be argued. Rondo is basicly the same player as rubio but a little better

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Some of you guys are severely under rating Rondo.. lmao. Sure he has offensive holes in his game but he's a terrific defender when he decides not to gamble much..

And yes he was an integral part of the Celtics team, you guys are underrating his impact on that Celtics team from 07-11' sure, he didn't score a lot but he was the focal point of that offense getting everybody their shots in rythym.

I'd personally rate him just outside/on the barrier of the top 5... with Paul, Lillard, and Parker all ahead of him for sure. (Curry/Westy make up the remaining 5)
he wasn't an integral part of the title team..he was the years after though. their offense declined when he took the reigns...There's no arguing it. and I don't want to hear that the big 3 were aging excuses. they never fully declined until 2012-2013.

Tumstock
07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
he wasn't an integral part of the title team..he was the years after though. their offense declined when he took the reigns...There's no arguing it. and I don't want to hear that the big 3 were aging excuses. they never fully declined until 2012-2013.

Rondo was a beast in the 09 playoffs averaging like 17, 9.5, 9.5

RLundi
07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
And you're basing this off no factual evidence so saying "No, not at all." doesn't provide much emphasis. To put Lillard, Irving, and Wall ahead of Rondo is a bit premature. I did say we're talking about a healthy Rondo - one who put up 17 points, 12 assists, and 7 rebounds per game in 2012 playoffs. He's a better defender, rebounder, and passer than those guys you listed - who are just better scorers.

Lol I likewise failed to see your "factual evidence." Enlighten me. Hopefully Rondo's 17-12-7 stat you provided wasn't the evidence.

I also hope you don't consider "better defender, rebounder, and passer" as evidence either.

In Rondo's last full season (or closest to it), his WS/48 was .121, which has plummeted ever since but whatever, let's take that as the baseline. Here are the WS/48 from my top 10 from last season (excluding Rose):

1. Paul .270
2. Westbrook .178
3. Curry .225
5. Parker .141
6. Wall .128
7. Irving .128
8. Lillard .157
10. Conley .161

As you can see, I'm not solely using WS/48 as the basis. Otherwise, Curry would be second, Westbrook third etc but it gives a good indication of contribution on a somewhat level playing field. Other factors are used, including just sheer basketball knowledge and watching games.

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Rondo was a beast in the 09 playoffs averaging like 17, 9.5, 9.5
not denying his #s have been impressive after the title year, but the teams offense suffered while he got those #s.

Jarvo
07-20-2014, 06:13 PM
The only thing the guys some of you are naming have over Rondo are they're better at scoring point blank, Like I said before I'll take Magic word over anybodys in here.

Clippersfan86
07-20-2014, 06:26 PM
What he said adds up. With Cousins vs Blake... it was a friendly rivalry/jealousy issue, never personal. He didn't like all the hype Blake got for what was in his mind not enough production. He's a hyper competitive guy so I understand his point of view, considering that not many people talk about him. Last year I saw something odd that confirmed this. The first first year of their career (Blake sat out 09, so 10 were both rookie years) they were cool. During the all star game they hung out, goofed off etc. Towards end of that year though things got a bit heated.

Next year Cousins called Blake out for flopping, he gave Blake a few fouls, Blake responded in the media and basically called him immature. So for all of their second year, things were a bit awkward. But then as time went on I noticed they would talk after games, hug and shake hands etc. So I knew they had mended whatever drama existed. But for the last two years Cousins and CP3 have to be separated pretty much every other time they play and there is CONSTANT yelling at each other, CP3 mocking his flop etc.

Cousins even said towards the end of last season that his only beef is with CP3.

smood999
07-20-2014, 08:49 PM

Been wondering that for years. I'm pretty sure it started with Larry Brown when he had Marbury. He said it a lot as a criticism of Marbury and everyone just ran with it. It makes no sense though...a PG is a PG.

kingkenny01
07-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Lebron james is the best point guard, sorry no one brought him up I thought it was a rule the lebron has to be in every thread

FlashBolt
07-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Lol I likewise failed to see your "factual evidence." Enlighten me. Hopefully Rondo's 17-12-7 stat you provided wasn't the evidence.

I also hope you don't consider "better defender, rebounder, and passer" as evidence either.

In Rondo's last full season (or closest to it), his WS/48 was .121, which has plummeted ever since but whatever, let's take that as the baseline. Here are the WS/48 from my top 10 from last season (excluding Rose):

1. Paul .270
2. Westbrook .178
3. Curry .225
5. Parker .141
6. Wall .128
7. Irving .128
8. Lillard .157
10. Conley .161

As you can see, I'm not solely using WS/48 as the basis. Otherwise, Curry would be second, Westbrook third etc but it gives a good indication of contribution on a somewhat level playing field. Other factors are used, including just sheer basketball knowledge and watching games.

So your only proof is WS/48? He's a better defender, rebounder, and passer than Wall, Irving, and Lillard.. That's not even a question. He doesn't have an offensive game and often only does extremely well in the paint because he's able to slide around easily but really, that's the only terrible part of his game.

RLundi
07-20-2014, 09:46 PM
So your only proof is WS/48? He's a better defender, rebounder, and passer than Wall, Irving, and Lillard.. That's not even a question. He doesn't have an offensive game and often only does extremely well in the paint because he's able to slide around easily but really, that's the only terrible part of his game.

Win shares is pretty significant lol but you can take whatever numbers you want: most synergy stats, RAPM, PER, WS, whatever your flavor is, all agree with me: Rondo is a good point guard, not a great one and definitely not elite.

You're missing the part where he is a complete liability and detriment to his team on offense when opposing points sag off of him. His free throw shooting is also pretty poor. And him holding the ball for 21 seconds of the shot clock tends to stagnate the offense, or at least make it predictable. In the Big 3 era, Pierce, KG and Allen bailed him out a lot and are a large reason for his numbers. I don't think he'll ever be as productive as he was playing with 3 HOFers.

Speaking of proof, you've still provided absolutely nothing. Care to back up what you're saying besides your own subjectivity? Otherwise, I kinda feel like I'm wasting my time arguing with someone who has no, you know, argument.

FlashBolt
07-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Win shares is pretty significant lol but you can take whatever numbers you want: most synergy stats, RAPM, PER, WS, whatever your flavor is, all agree with me: Rondo is a good point guard, not a great one and definitely not elite.

You're missing the part where he is a complete liability and detriment to his team on offense when opposing points sag off of him. His free throw shooting is also pretty poor. And him holding the ball for 21 seconds of the shot clock tends to stagnate the offense, or at least make it predictable. In the Big 3 era, Pierce, KG and Allen bailed him out a lot and are a large reason for his numbers. I don't think he'll ever be as productive as he was playing with 3 HOFers.

Speaking of proof, you've still provided absolutely nothing. Care to back up what you're saying besides your own subjectivity? Otherwise, I kinda feel like I'm wasting my time arguing with someone who has no, you know, argument.

I don't need proof. You can't argue that he's not a better defensive player, passer, or rebounder than any of those 3 PG's you listed. So unless you can come up with something other than his offensive skillset - which we all know isn't worth speaking of, I don't think you've made any arguments. As for Pierce, Allen, and KG, Rondo actually had the same per36 as he did with an injured season (last year) as he did the year before. He's constantly raised his game in the playoffs. If you want to base everything on win shares, then by that logic, Patty Mills is the 20th best player in the NBA. Is Rondo a better defensive player, passer, and rebounder than Wall, Lillard, and Irving? I hope to God you say yes.

Kashmir13579
07-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Ok?

Sadds The Gr8
07-20-2014, 11:07 PM
The only thing the guys some of you are naming have over Rondo are they're better at scoring point blank, Like I said before I'll take Magic word over anybodys in here.
magic also said Rudy Gay was an all-star type player last year and look how that turned out. there's a reason he got kicked off the Espn show. dude was an awful analyst

Jets012
07-20-2014, 11:16 PM
Lmao :laugh: I really hope you're joking, Rose/Curry/ Westy and maybe even Lillard are really SG playing the point and to say you'll take Lawson, Teague and those other guys before Rondo you must be on a molly. Even though I love Conley/ Wall/ Dragic / Jrue and Bledsoe they arent better at playing the point than Rondo.

Shows how mis-informed you really are. And that's shocking since you're a Spurs fab. You should have some knowledge on how basketball works considering you watch an a amazing team all year.

RLundi
07-21-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't need proof. You can't argue that he's not a better defensive player, passer, or rebounder than any of those 3 PG's you listed. So unless you can come up with something other than his offensive skillset - which we all know isn't worth speaking of, I don't think you've made any arguments. As for Pierce, Allen, and KG, Rondo actually had the same per36 as he did with an injured season (last year) as he did the year before. He's constantly raised his game in the playoffs. If you want to base everything on win shares, then by that logic, Patty Mills is the 20th best player in the NBA. Is Rondo a better defensive player, passer, and rebounder than Wall, Lillard, and Irving? I hope to God you say yes.

Honest to God, stopped reading after this.

Good day.

tdg823
07-21-2014, 12:13 AM
The attributes you listed in the beginning are a pgs job. Just about every pg in the league controls the tempo...they have the ball in their hands.

Flat out, when a team backs away from you in a game 7 of the finals when you have the ball in your hands, DARING you to hit a 15 ft jumper... And you still can't do it - that's either because you have a MAJOR hole in your game or you have no composure.

hmm.. I recall whole playoff series in recent years where that applied to the "best player on the planet"

tdg823
07-21-2014, 12:23 AM

Wow that's going a bit far. I do often have that debate with myself though. Were the big 3 better for Rondo or Rondo better for the big 3? I think outside of that first year people underestimate how much the big 3 were in decline. Their styles all complemented Rondo so well though that maybe, perhaps, they covered flaws in his game. We're debating a relative unknown right now though. Post big 3 Rondo? We don't really know what that is or looks like. This is all premature, revisit this in about 10-11 months or so. Also if Rondo say miraculously developed a reliable 20 foot jumper, what would people say about him then? How much would that one adjustment, significant though it may be, alter people's perception of the rest of his game and him as a whole?

Sadds The Gr8
07-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Wow that's going a bit far. I do often have that debate with myself though. Were the big 3 better for Rondo or Rondo better for the big 3? I think outside of that first year people underestimate how much the big 3 were in decline. Their styles all complemented Rondo so well though that maybe, perhaps, they covered flaws in his game. We're debating a relative unknown right now though. Post big 3 Rondo? We don't really know what that is or looks like. This is all premature, revisit this in about 10-11 months or so. Also if Rondo say miraculously developed a reliable 20 foot jumper, what would people say about him then? How much would that one adjustment, significant though it may be, alter people's perception of the rest of his game and him as a whole?
a jumper would make him significantly better but how long have we been waiting for him to get one? I think the big 3 were clearly better for him. He'd just be the same assist padder w/o then imo. He just doesn't make offenses better.

Corey
07-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Rondo is nothing great. He's a product of a system.

He was surrounded by three hall of fame players that excelled as catch-and-shoot players. Garnett made him look better than he was defensively, as he did with pretty much everyone he played with. Rondo was never the elite defender people made him out to be, and he has never been an above average scorer at the position.

The fact that any NBA players think he's the best at the position is great news for Ainge, because that might mean a GM is dumb enough to believe the same and give something of high value for him in a trade.

Chronz
07-21-2014, 01:52 AM
That was only a result of his offensive limitations. Had he actually been a respectable threat without the ball, the team would have been able to diversify their offense. But because hes the most ball dominant player in the game, the team had no choice but to play a style that enhanced his already limited statistics. That the Celtics were never an elite offensive team despite having so much talent is a result of their primary ball handler being so limited.

In short, he was the focal point that you think he was, only because he was absolutely USELESS without the ball.

Chronz
07-21-2014, 01:56 AM
rondo just needs a jump shot. can you imagine him with a solid jumper? I'm not realy good at comparing him to other point guard but i do think people underrate him a little. He's a good leader and usually gets other teammates going. i'd say CP3, Tony parker, Rose, curry, Conley are all certainly better in my opinion. other like damian lillard, John wall and RWB etc have a very good case to be better then rondo but can be argued. Rondo is basicly the same player as rubio but a little better

Hes a horrid leader. What on earth makes you think hes a good leader? Because his game is limited to passing only?

Chronz
07-21-2014, 02:02 AM
As for Pierce, Allen, and KG, Rondo actually had the same per36 as he did with an injured season (last year) as he did the year before.
Rly man? This is worth mentioning? Despite the fact that it was horrendously inefficient in the process? Jesus man, you would have been better off just ignoring stats altogether than try to justify his lack of production+intangibles.

SPURSFAN1
07-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Rondo still plays in the NBA?

ManRam
07-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Magic Johnson is your gospel? :laugh2:

D-Leethal
07-21-2014, 11:37 AM

A floor general who looks to get teammates involved first, second, third and picks his spots to take the leftovers for himself.

I think you know the difference between a pass first guard and a shoot first guard. There is a pretty marked difference.

ballpd05
07-21-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree... I may even take Ty Lawson and Goran Dragic over Rondo.

D-Leethal
07-21-2014, 12:13 PM
If I have a team loaded with scorers and snipers there aren't many PGs I'd prefer over Rondo. If you need scoring and floor spacing out of the PG position, there are many PG's I'd prefer over Rondo. Pretty simple.

D-Leethal
07-21-2014, 12:21 PM
There are so many different styles at the PG position its almost like comparing apples and oranges and the position is so deep, whose "better" is really determined by the other guys around said PG. Comparing Tony Parker and Rajon Rondo is almost like comparing completely different positions at this point.

Hawkeye15
07-21-2014, 12:56 PM

let me know when Rondo ever plays to the level of CP3 in the playoffs

Hawkeye15
07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
A floor general who looks to get teammates involved first, second, third and picks his spots to take the leftovers for himself.

I think you know the difference between a pass first guard and a shoot first guard. There is a pretty marked difference.

it seems to me that the term is generally used for scoring challenged PG's..

Hawkeye15
07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
There are so many different styles at the PG position its almost like comparing apples and oranges and the position is so deep, whose "better" is really determined by the other guys around said PG. Comparing Tony Parker and Rajon Rondo is almost like comparing completely different positions at this point.

unless we simply measure on impact

Chronz
07-21-2014, 01:00 PM
If I have a team loaded with scorers and snipers there aren't many PGs I'd prefer over Rondo. If you need scoring and floor spacing out of the PG position, there are many PG's I'd prefer over Rondo. Pretty simple.
There is some truth to this (except spacing/efficiency is something every team could use from every position) but what did you make of him not making the cut on a loaded Team USA?

I cant imagine a team that would be better off with Rondo instead of TP but thats just me.

Jets012
07-21-2014, 01:05 PM
For those that are saying Rondo is top 5, it comes down to this really:

If you were to build a team, who is the easier player to build around: Rondo or a guy like Westy.

To me it's a fairly easy answer.

SPURSFAN1
07-21-2014, 01:30 PM
People need to stop with the traditional idea of a point guard. I'm more about impact.
Who is the better player for the position?
O and Parker can dish or score. He is just told by Pop to score. So people rarely see him dish.
Rondo on the other hand can't be a scoring point guard at all.
15points 18 assist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJYsFuGR7Z8
37points 6 assist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvoB9iG61ek
both vs griiz wcf last year
tony parker wasn't healthy this year from playing in the summer last year but he is still a top 3 pg with 4 rings

Jarvo
07-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Magic Johnson is your gospel? :laugh2:

No, But I rather take the word of a man who played and who is one either of the best or the best PG whoever played the game than guys who are saying he isn't even Top 15. If you would to ask anyone who played the game past or present and say Rondo isnt a Top PG I'm pretty sure they'll look at like you're crazy.

Hell people in here even said Tony Parker wasn't a top PG but that **** changed too also didnt it?

I think because Rondo been hurt some guys have memory lost.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 05:36 PM

I guess that says alot about how poor the league is then, or at least how thin the PG spot has been since i would say half of the starting PG's can't do what i listed efficiently like they are supposed to....

bootypants
07-21-2014, 05:40 PM

1. Paul .270
2. Westbrook .178
3. Curry .225
5. Parker .141
6. Wall .128
7. Irving .128
8. Lillard .157
10. Conley .161

He was also playing with gerald wallace and kris humphries.... your stat you decided to choose is kind of lame when your team wouldnt be able to compete for the NCAA championship.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 05:44 PM
not denying his #s have been impressive after the title year, but the teams offense suffered while he got those #s.

Bro what offense are you talking about? Post original big 3, please name the offense you are so dearly worried was crippled by Rondo.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Rondo is nothing great. He's a product of a system.

He was surrounded by three hall of fame players that excelled as catch-and-shoot players. Garnett made him look better than he was defensively, as he did with pretty much everyone he played with. Rondo was never the elite defender people made him out to be, and he has never been an above average scorer at the position.

The fact that any NBA players think he's the best at the position is great news for Ainge, because that might mean a GM is dumb enough to believe the same and give something of high value for him in a trade.

So parker and duncan are products of a system? Yet duncan is top 5 PF of all time.

Durant even called out Leonard saying he's only becoming something because of the system..

Triangle offense for the Lakers? system.

And? Are you taking away from all of these players that play in a good system? wtf lol

Corey
07-21-2014, 05:54 PM
So parker and duncan are products of a system? Yet duncan is top 5 PF of all time.

Durant even called out Leonard saying he's only becoming something because of the system..

Triangle offense for the Lakers? system.

And? Are you taking away from all of these players that play in a good system? wtf lol

How does your response have anything to do with what I posted?

How and why are you comparing Parker+Duncan to Rondo? Even Kawhi..

You missed the boat.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 05:57 PM
How does your response have anything to do with what I posted?

How and why are you comparing Parker+Duncan to Rondo? Even Kawhi..

You missed the boat.

You are taking away from him because he is a product of a "system".....

So i'm asking if you take away from all the other roll players that are integral parts of "systems".

Corey
I think because Rondo been hurt some guys have memory lost.

Or they're using common sense and can see he's been in a steady decline since 08/09, which coincidentally coincided with the decline and departure of Pierce/Garnett/Allen

Corey
You are taking away from him because he is a product of a "system".....

So i'm asking if you take away from all the other roll players that are integral parts of "systems".

You're comparing the Spurs over the past decade and a Phil Jackson triangle to Rondo being a byproduct of Pierce/Garnett/Allen....Come on dude.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 06:04 PM
You're comparing the Spurs over the past decade and a Phil Jackson triangle to Rondo being a byproduct of Pierce/Garnett/Allen....Come on dude.

Can you blame anyone for not putting up decent numbers with the roster post big 3?
It would not of even beat Uconn lol.

D-Leethal
07-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Or they're using common sense and can see he's been in a steady decline since 08/09, which coincidentally coincided with the decline and departure of Pierce/Garnett/Allen

Gee whiz, a pass first guard goes from squad of HOFers to a D-League squad and his individual play suffers.

D-Leethal
07-21-2014, 06:16 PM
There is no "proof" in basketball.

Corey
07-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Can you blame anyone for not putting up decent numbers with the roster post big 3?
First of all, the notion that an NBA team wouldn't beat UConn is absurd, but that's not the point of this thread.

Second of all, if he's anywhere close to the top of his position, he should be able to make players around him better regardless of who those players are.

Gee whiz, a pass first guard goes from squad of HOFers to a D-League squad and his individual play suffers.
His individual defense suffered as well. He has no reliable offensive game. He isn't a pass FIRST point guard, he's a pass ONLY point guard.

****, Ramon Sessions would have looked just as good surrounded by Pierce, Garnett and Allen in 07/08.

Take away Pierce and Garnett and he's a middle-of-the-pack player at his position.

slashsnake
07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
He's a great passing PG, very good defender, with limited offensive abilities. He's a top 10 PG of the decade, and reminds me a lot of Mark Jackson in his playing days, definitely not the guy you want to build your franchise around, but a great guy if you can put talent around him. He of course isn't on the level of a healthy CP3, Parker, Westbrook, Rose, etc. He falls in that next tier, the kind of guy everyone is interested in, but nobody will be giving up a star for.

D-Leethal
07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
First of all, the notion that an NBA team wouldn't beat UConn is absurd, but that's not the point of this thread.

Second of all, if he's anywhere close to the top of his position, he should be able to make players around him better regardless of who those players are.

His individual defense suffered as well. He has no reliable offensive game. He isn't a pass FIRST point guard, he's a pass ONLY point guard.

****, Ramon Sessions would have looked just as good surrounded by Pierce, Garnett and Allen in 07/08.

Take away Pierce and Garnett and he's a middle-of-the-pack player at his position.

When you have all-time great defender guarding pick and rolls next to you and than go to a bunch of scrubs, I would expect your "individual defense" to suffer as well. I am not sure there are more then 5 possessions in a game where a PG is truly playing nothing but "individual defense" anyway with the amount of screens set in a typical 2014 NBA game.

I don't think its Pierce and Garnett, I think its "take away good players and you have a middle of the pack guard at the position". Give him some weapons, the perception of his play will skyrocket.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 06:27 PM

He averaged 17/12/7 in the playoffs 2011.
He averaged 17/10/10 in 2008.

14/11/6 post big 3.

What were Nash's stats when he won MVP?
18/11/4?

So what are we arguing about here?

Why are ppl disrespectful?

RLundi
07-21-2014, 06:34 PM
He was also playing with gerald wallace and kris humphries.... your stat you decided to choose is kind of lame when your team wouldnt be able to compete for the NCAA championship.

It doesn't matter who he is playing with. So you're saying the only reason Rondo is a good player is because he plays with other good players? Okay cool, got it, makes perfect sense.

The stat I provided is relevant. I also said I used a bunch of other stats, not to mention simply watching basketball, but you weren't paying a attention were you? Reading is hard. What do you have to prove your point besides juvenile insults about my team, as if that factors in the least?

Mature some, and then please come talk to me. Thank you :)

Corey
07-21-2014, 06:35 PM

14/11/6 post big 3.

18/11/4?

Your point? He performs on the big stage. Almost every one of his triple doubles are in nationally televised games.

He doesn't consistently perform at a high level and anyone that regularly watches the Celtics knows it. He's wildly inconsistent, he has an attitude, coaches dont tend to care for him for a long period of time, and he rubs teammates the wrong way.

If the Celtics could have gotten more than Isaiah Thomas a first for him, he'd be gone.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Rondo/Smart
Turner/Thornton/Bradley/Young
Green/Wallace/Young

What the heck are the Celtics doing? Trade bait much? They look like me drafting RBs in fantasy football. lol

RLundi
07-21-2014, 06:39 PM

14/11/6 post big 3.

18/11/4?

Who's disrespectful? You're obviously blind and can't see things objectively. Corey is clearly a C's fan. If anything, his argument would give even more credence to the notion that Rondo is fully overrated.

Ignore your hard-on for Rondo for a second and feel free to use bkref to compare the list of PGs I presented. You might be surprised.

bootypants
07-21-2014, 06:42 PM
I hate Rondo..... but when someone says they take Ty Lawson or similar over him that is ridiculous.

I also hate the celtics.

RLundi
07-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I hate Rondo..... but when someone says they take Ty Lawson or similar over him that is ridiculous.

I also hate the celtics.

Where did I say Lawson? Methinks you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Paul, Curry, Irving, Westy, Lillard, Parker, Rose and Wall are who I said are better than Rondo. Do you disagree?

bootypants
07-21-2014, 06:46 PM
I went to 2 of the ECF games when the Heat played the Celtics.

Everyone in the Arena wanted the ball out of his hands.

He made plays.

Not to mention he went 40/10/8 in game 2....

bootypants
07-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Where did I say Lawson? Methinks you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Paul, Curry, Irving, Westy, Lillard, Parker, Rose and Wall are who I said are better than Rondo. Do you disagree?

I never said you stated that, several others earlier in this thread had.

If that list is in order i may have an issue with it.
Although, Rose, if the man is healthy is a given, but if not who knows.

Also Wall needs to mature a bit and learn to keep composed in the 4th in the playoffs.
He completely fell apart along with Beal against the Pacers when it mattered.

I stated top 10 earlier in the thread after people listed him not top 10 or even top 15.

When it mattered, i've watched Rondo deliver. In the playoffs. No, not Mario Chalmers deliver (also surrounded by stars). Rondo actually played defensively, crucial steals, put the ball in the hands of players in position for them to score. You guys are making him sound like he did no more than Chalmers has for the Heat when he was LEVELS above Mario.

nolafan33
07-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Rondo wasn't even a top 10 PG THIS SEASON.

Kashmir13579
07-22-2014, 04:11 AM
what did you make of him not making the cut on a loaded Team USA?

attitude problem imo

Spanklin
07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Rondo led that 2010 team to a 4-3 loss in the Finals. He has a ring.

Let's talk about how overrated these other point guards are who cannot get out of the second round, unlike Rondo (CP3, Curry, DWill, and even Westbrook doesn't know how to win).

slashsnake
07-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Rondo led that 2010 team to a 4-3 loss in the Finals. He has a ring.

Let's talk about how overrated these other point guards are who cannot get out of the second round, unlike Rondo (CP3, Curry, DWill, and even Westbrook doesn't know how to win).

Something tells me Rondo would win a lot less when not a 4th option on a team though like those other guys. I wish there was a way we could see him as a #1 on a team. Not playing with Garnett, Pierce, and Allen. To see him for a season as the bonafide leader, and see how well he wins there.

When the only time you win is in what is by far your worst post-season of your career personally, maybe it wasn't all about you. Or maybe Mario Chalmers is just a winner. His ring years and Rondo's were about the same, a couple assists a game difference... Granted Mario doubled up Rondo, so he's double the winner as him I guess.

hugepatsfan
07-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Something tells me Rondo would win a lot less when not a 4th option on a team though like those other guys. I wish there was a way we could see him as a #1 on a team. Not playing with Garnett, Pierce, and Allen. To see him for a season as the bonafide leader, and see how well he wins there.

When the only time you win is in what is by far your worst post-season of your career personally, maybe it wasn't all about you. Or maybe Mario Chalmers is just a winner. His ring years and Rondo's were about the same, a couple assists a game difference... Granted Mario doubled up Rondo, so he's double the winner as him I guess.

Rondo's game isn't condusive to being a top scoring option. The year BOS lost to the Lakers Rondo was better than Ray Allen. Easily. Ray was higher on the list if you're just going by scoring options but as an overall player Rondo was easily better. You can't just rank players as scoring options and call that an overall ranking. It's a downright awful way to evaluate players.

Rondo has fallen off a lot IMO. Rondo at his peak (second year of the Big 3 up until the ACL injury) was good enough to be a #3 player on a title team IMO. But that's as an overall player. If you're ranking them by scoring options then even where you have him as 4th is too high IMO. He shoud be the 4th guy scorer in the starting lineup and you probably need a bench scorer. His overall game was that strong though where he was still great despite a scoring deficiency.

Corey
07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Rondo/Smart
Turner/Thornton/Bradley/Young
Green/Wallace/Young

What the heck are the Celtics doing? Trade bait much? They look like me drafting RBs in fantasy football. lolLOL at Bradley being 3rd string behind Turner and Thornton.

I also hate the celtics.
Ty Lawson has been a more productive player since the 08/09 season ended.

I went to 2 of the ECF games when the Heat played the Celtics.

Everyone in the Arena wanted the ball out of his hands.

He made plays.

Not to mention he went 40/10/8 in game 2....
Nice, he had an incredible game/series. Whats your point? Do you know how many mediocre players have gotten hot for stretches?

JR Smith has scored 50+ a handful of 40+ point games. He must be an elite scorer, right? That's the logic you're using.

attitude problem imo
Yep.

Rondo's game isn't condusive to being a top scoring option. The year BOS lost to the Lakers Rondo was better than Ray Allen. Easily. Ray was higher on the list if you're just going by scoring options but as an overall player Rondo was easily better. You can't just rank players as scoring options and call that an overall ranking. It's a downright awful way to evaluate players.

Rondo has fallen off a lot IMO. Rondo at his peak (second year of the Big 3 up until the ACL injury) was good enough to be a #3 player on a title team IMO. But that's as an overall player. If you're ranking them by scoring options then even where you have him as 4th is too high IMO. He shoud be the 4th guy scorer in the starting lineup and you probably need a bench scorer. His overall game was that strong though where he was still great despite a scoring deficiency.
On point with this post, though I dont agree with the #3 option part. His offense comes in bunches, it's not something consistent. He might have gotten more touches/points than Ray in that final season, but he has never had plays called for him consistently.

Another thing people dont realize is how far off defenders play. He has like a 3 foot bubble around him outside of 10 feet.

Just Accept It
07-22-2014, 08:17 PM
I guess some people missed this the first time, so here it is again. Rondo is not only the best point guard in the game today but he'll easily go down as the best of all time.