PDA

View Full Version : Howard: Rockets OK without Parsons we got best C and SG

LAKobeBryant
07-18-2014, 07:42 PM
"It won't affect us at all," Howard said Friday of Parsons signing a three-year, $45-million deal with the Dallas Mavericks.

"We have myself and James," Howard said. "We have the best center and the best two guard in the game on the same team. It's on us."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11233243/dwight-howard-says-chandler-parsons-leaving-affect-houston-rockets

Big statement from him hopefully he can miraculously avg 28 and 15 like shaq say

still1ballin
07-18-2014, 07:44 PM
llullz

goingfor28
07-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Neither Dwight nor Harden are the best at their respective position

Seizabmc
07-18-2014, 07:47 PM
If he is as good as he thinks he is, than why did he let LMA destroy his asz .

Seizabmc
07-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Marc gasol and Bradley beil are better.

Greedy22
07-18-2014, 07:50 PM
:laugh2:

Tony_Starks
07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Lol!!!

Bruno
07-18-2014, 08:06 PM
whens the last time the best center in the NBA and the best SG in the NBA lost in the first round together as teammates? never.

NBA_Starter
07-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Whatever helps him sleep at night.

Cal827
07-18-2014, 08:08 PM
:laugh:

DemarDerozan
07-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Dwight has now lost his mind in addition to his body and integrity.

ManRam
07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
He's only a tiny bit off in all regards :shrug:

If Harden's not the best, he's top-2. Dwight's not the best, but he's not far off. And Parsons will hurt, but it isn't going to be devastating.

He's putting the pressure on him -- "it's on us" -- and saying the team will be fine. We hear stuff like this from players all the time. Ho hum.

cmellofan15
07-18-2014, 08:25 PM
seems like a dick move by Howard. usually when someone leaves there's a, "we'll miss him but.." or something along those lines. Parsons deserves some kind of praise from Howard.

5ass
07-18-2014, 08:26 PM
lol the hate is funny

Ariza's Better
07-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Blah blah blah we hate Dwight blah blah blah.
At this point of his career Dwight can't win with fans and journalists.

Hellcrooner
07-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Ariza, The master of playing good on contract years will get the trick done for them.
:rolleyes:

Leftcoast_yg
07-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Some people's children....

Didn't they just lose their best bench players and their starting small forward????

5ass
07-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Blah blah blah we hate Dwight blah blah blah.
At this point of his career Dwight can't win with fans and journalists.
if dwight saved a baby from a hungry lion they would criticize him for starving the lion :laugh:

JNA17
07-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Ariza, The master of playing good on contract years will get the trick done for them.
:rolleyes:

Pretty much. Rockets fans are in for a rude of awakening when Ariza goes back to being an under average player again and Parsons becomes an All Star.

ThunderousDemon
07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
haha the dude is delusional.

sens#11fan
07-18-2014, 08:44 PM
whens the last time the best center in the NBA and the best SG in the NBA lost in the first round together as teammates? never.
Kobe and Dwight, but i see what your saying.

LTBaByyy
07-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Wow lol

Dwight Howard will never be a champion

shep33
07-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I think they're like a 6th seed right now. But there is still time to fill up a few roster spots.

Parsons, Lin and Asik are a huge losses.

Kevj77
07-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Kobe and Dwight, but i see what your saying.Kobe was out with an Achilles. Dwight straight up quit in that series it was his time to be the man. Even if they had no chance to win he shouldn't have punked out like he did.

Lakeshow24KB
07-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Uhh...Kobe never played.

JNA17
07-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Kobe didn't play.

lakerfan85
07-18-2014, 08:53 PM

They never played together in the playoffs..

MTar786
07-18-2014, 08:54 PM
lol dwight is garbage. thats why he alway does the whole self praising thing.

lakerfan85
07-18-2014, 08:55 PM
You still mad?

Go Parsons! :dance:

You guys are going to be good this year..

Tony_Starks
07-18-2014, 09:05 PM
"Anytime you lose a player of Parsons caliber it's always a loss. He was a good teammate and a big part of the recruiting that got me here. I wish him the best but i still have confidence in the guys we have and feel we can compete."

That's what Dwight meant he just kinda sorta worded it a lil bit differently. You gotta read between the lines man!

Aust
07-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Hope he's able to back that up.

Beverley - Ariza - Howard is a nice defensive trio fwiw

NBA_Starter
07-18-2014, 09:11 PM
He better be able to back it up.

seikou8
07-18-2014, 09:12 PM
lakers fan still salty i guess,he is top 3 c and harden is the best sg in the game parsons is good but not a salary he is getting

goku
07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
I think they're like a 6th seed right now. But there is still time to fill up a few roster spots.

Parsons, Lin and Asik are a huge losses.

Parsons and Asik are but then again Asik pouted half the season and Lin was very inconsistent so its not that big of a loss Parsons can be replaced with Ariza in terms of Defensive Production might not be as good offensively though still basically the same team

goku
07-18-2014, 09:19 PM
"Anytime you lose a player of Parsons caliber it's always a loss. He was a good teammate and a big part of the recruiting that got me here. I wish him the best but i still have confidence in the guys we have and feel we can compete."

That's what Dwight meant he just kinda sorta worded it a lil bit differently. You gotta read between the lines man!

no people are to quick to react they see one howard Quote and go crazy instead of reading the whole interview typical lakers fans well accept u since u noticed it

Kaner
07-18-2014, 09:21 PM
He's only a tiny bit off in all regards :shrug:

If Harden's not the best, he's top-2. Dwight's not the best, but he's not far off. And Parsons will hurt, but it isn't going to be devastating.

He's putting the pressure on him -- "it's on us" -- and saying the team will be fine. We hear stuff like this from players all the time. Ho hum.

Not a big fan of his phrasing even if his statement isn't overly offbase, to say losing Parsons won't affect them at all is exactly the kind of mindset that made Parsons want to leave in the first place. no respect from the gm and apparently Howard.

Then too name 2 guys on the roster and say THATS the reason they're going to be okay is silly and again disrespectful to the rest of the team that will be playing with them. Howard clearly shares Morey's star lust and I'd be annoyed if I was a roleplayer on his team.

kingsdelez24
07-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Yeah, because Kobe did WAAAAY too much in that series

Smh

goku
07-18-2014, 09:34 PM
I howard had said he didn't agree with the move of Parsons leaving everyone would be saying he is unhappy and a cancer YATTA YATTA YATTA its hilarious actually

Tony_Starks
07-18-2014, 09:35 PM
no people are to quick to react they see one howard Quote and go crazy instead of reading the whole interview typical lakers fans well accept u since u noticed it

I think people go overboard with the "everybody hates Dwight" stuff. Lebron gets hate. Kobe gets hate.

The most I ever see anybody do with Dwight is just laugh at him and not take him seriously. Nobody hates the guy, by all accounts he's just a big kid.

THE MTL
07-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Honestly Howard still is the best center. When a guy averages 18ppg 12rpg 2bpg and you call it an off year then that's when you know you're the best in the game

goku
07-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Not a big fan of his phrasing even if his statement isn't overly offbase, to say losing Parsons won't affect them at all is exactly the kind of mindset that made Parsons want to leave in the first place. no respect from the gm and apparently Howard.

Then too name 2 guys on the roster and say THATS the reason they're going to be okay is silly and again disrespectful to the rest of the team that will be playing with them. Howard clearly shares Morey's star lust and I'd be annoyed if I was a roleplayer on his team.

getting paid 15 mil to 900k wasn't a reason ???

goku
07-18-2014, 09:39 PM
I think people go overboard with the "everybody hates Dwight" stuff. Lebron gets hate. Kobe gets hate.

The most I ever see anybody do with Dwight is just laugh at him and not take him seriously. Nobody hates the guy, by all accounts he's just a big kid.

should read his mentions on twitter that says otherwise or they just still feeling hurt for some reason

Sactown
07-18-2014, 09:39 PM
You're right guys he should of said, our season is lost, we lost our best plauer, Harden and I blow dick

valade16
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
You're right guys he should of said, our season is lost, we lost our best plauer, Harden and I blow dick

I see your point, clearly there is no middle ground in what he could have said. Like a Sith, Howard can only deal in absolutes...

Tony_Starks
07-18-2014, 09:59 PM
I see your point, clearly there is no middle ground in what he could have said. Like a Sith, Howard can only deal in absolutes...

Haha If Howard is Annakin does that make Morey the Chancellor?

Vinny642
One is a liability on offense and one is a liability on defense.. perfect combo

LAKobeBryant
lakers fan still salty i guess,he is top 3 c and harden is the best sg in the game parsons is good but not a salary he is getting

what does this have to do with lakers?
il take parsons and asik over ariza and howard

NYKNYGNYY
07-18-2014, 10:00 PM
What's he suppose to say... Where screwed cus one person left and me and harden aren't the best

C'mon now ... U can make a case both are best at respective positions

Parsons isn't a big deal they got ariza back so it's not like they just lost somebody amazing n didn't replace him ... They lost a good player n replaced him with another good player

NYKNYGNYY
07-18-2014, 10:01 PM

No way ... Really?

LAKobeBryant
07-18-2014, 10:03 PM
No way ... Really?

guess you didn't read what i replied to its ok i like sarcasm

NYKNYGNYY
07-18-2014, 10:06 PM
guess you didn't read what i replied to its ok i like sarcasm

I didn't lol my bad I just read that n was like wtf

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-18-2014, 10:12 PM
I mean, they are each the best at their position. There's nothing wrong or ridiculous in what he's saying.

NBA_Starter
07-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I don't know if Harden is the best at his position.

seikou8
07-18-2014, 10:58 PM

based on what exactly,howard is better than asik and parson is better than ariza but the gap is not that big between the two.

sep11ie
07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
My post gets deleted but another Rockets Hate thread is allowed. Biased *** ho mods.

DR_1
07-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Noah and Marc are both better than Dwight atm. Harden is the best SG though.

rockets-fan
07-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Dwight it top 2 at his position, the only player if rather have is Marc Gasol. Why so much hate for the guy? He played very very good basketball last season and in the playoffs. I feel like at this point not even a finals MVP could save his name from the posters on this site. Truth is he is better than 95% of y'all's favorite teams starting centers. The hate is ridiculous just grow up.

Harden is the top SG. You can not name another 2 guard in the league that would've carried the lottery rockets team of a year before with an average age of 24 to the playoffs and despite the 4-2 loss, gave OKC a run for their money other than the first game or two. Beal CAN be better as soon as next season but he isn't so far. Wadenis trash now compared to prime wade and Kibe is a question mark. The shooting guard position is thin but he is the top SG. People just hate him flopping so they are blinded by his other talents.

Yes I know defense is non existent. His role is to score at will and he does that a lot. Should he play D? Of coarse and he has the ability. He just needs to be committed.

The rockets will feel the dying at first but there defense should be much improved.

rockets-fan
07-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Noah and Marc are both better than Dwight atm. Harden is the best SG though.

Defensive wise yes Noah is better, but offensively he makes Dwight look like the dream....I love Noah and I would love him to be my starting center if Dwight or Gasol weren't available but his offense sucks.

I gues it's more of a 1a, 1b, 1c thing to me. Choose what you like.

For me it's

1a. Gasol
1b. Howard
1c. Noah

4. Cousins
5. Jefferson

DR_1
07-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Haha If Howard is Annakin does that make Morey the Chancellor?

:laugh:

I AM the Rockets!

ThunderousDemon
07-18-2014, 11:35 PM
#freepalestine

DR_1
07-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Defensive wise yes Noah is better, but offensively he makes Dwight look like the dream....I love Noah and I would love him to be my starting center if Dwight or Gasol weren't available but his offense sucks.

I gues it's more of a 1a, 1b, 1c thing to me. Choose what you like.

For me it's

1a. Gasol
1b. Howard
1c. Noah

4. Cousins
5. Jefferson

Noah is not bad offensively. He has trouble scoring, but everything else on that end of the floor he is good to great. That's why I have:

1a) Noah
1b) Marc
1c) Dwight

Bostonjorge
07-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Rockets best C and best SG and 7th best team in the west.

kblo247
07-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Lmfao Dwight post injury is closer to the group of Cs than he used to be, and Harden by far is only the "best SG" because the real big boys who **** on him all around in Kobe and Wade got hurt,

Aside from Miami no team had a worse summer than Houston. They lost Parsons, Lin, Asik, a first, and a second all for Ariza. Dwight in of himself is flawed with his fts and lack of post game, and Harden is an inefficent scorer who goes Blackhole when need in the playoffs and plays zero D.

Its a bigger experiment fail at recreating Kobe and Shaq than T-Mac and Yao

sep11ie
07-18-2014, 11:54 PM
[/SIZE]79]:laugh:

I AM the Rockets!

Laugh all you want, , but if I were DR1 I'd be more worried about fixing Rose's knee

meloman1592
07-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Dwight is right....yea they lost in the first round but it was Dwight and hardens first year together

goingfor28
07-19-2014, 12:04 AM
Joakim. Marc. Al.

All > Dwight

And Harden doesn't even know what defense means so noo way he can be considered #1

Htownballa1622
07-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Lol.

The hate is strong.

FlashBolt
07-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Howard is so unlikeable and an idiot... He should be destroying every center out there and instead he comes out with stupid comments like these. Is Howard even a top 10 player anymore? Remember the days when he should've been MVP and was on everyone's top 5...

5ass
07-19-2014, 01:01 AM
#freepalestine

this.

5ass
07-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Howard is so unlikeable and an idiot... He should be destroying every center out there and instead he comes out with stupid comments like these. Is Howard even a top 10 player anymore? Remember the days when he should've been MVP and was on everyone's top 5...

he had back surgery

FlashBolt
07-19-2014, 01:18 AM
People say Noah is bad offensively but he can hit the jumper, lead the fastbreak, and score in the paint.. While Howard just feeds off lobs. Noah isn't better than Dwight offensively but what he does out there means more than the 6 extra points Dwight has on him.. And he can pass - which coaches love these days.

Shlumpledink
07-19-2014, 01:28 AM
It used to mean something to have the best center or sg in the game. Neither are top 5 in the game today, so good luck with that being enough

KINGOFSPORTS
07-19-2014, 02:09 AM
Dwight is worthless

Lakers + Giants
07-19-2014, 02:37 AM
Doesn't mean as much as it should.

C and SG are by far the weakest positions right now.

Ariza's Better
07-19-2014, 02:59 AM
People say Noah is bad offensively but he can hit the jumper, lead the fastbreak, and score in the paint.. While Howard just feeds off lobs. Noah isn't better than Dwight offensively but what he does out there means more than the 6 extra points Dwight has on him.. And he can pass - which coaches love these days.
Someone didn't watch a lot of Houston games.

KINGOFSPORTS
07-19-2014, 03:08 AM
Dwight has no post moves, cant handle a double team, cant pass, and definitely cant shoot free thows

but he insisits on being the #1 post option and says hes the best C in the game...

hahaha!!! That guy is living on mars

teecoop29
07-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Come on for real y'all be hating on the rockets and I'm trying to figure out why? What shooting guard is better then Harden right now ? And Howard showed in the playoff why he his the best center in da league ok yes they lost in the first round so what as u can see two player can't win a champship by there self they had no bench last year and bad coaching thats why they lost

KINGOFSPORTS
07-19-2014, 03:28 AM
Come on for real y'all be hating on the rockets and I'm trying to figure out why? What shooting guard is better then Harden right now ? And Howard showed in the playoff why he his the best center in da league ok yes they lost in the first round so what as u can see two player can't win a champship by there self they had no bench last year and bad coaching thats why they lost

Because both players have glaring deficiencies

Best C - Noah or Marc Gasol

Best SG might be Harden .... but he plays zero defense so if I looked hard enough I could find a better SG

kblo247
07-19-2014, 05:46 AM

Kobe and Pau got to a finals with no camp. Wade and Shaq got to ecf in year one.

I mean damn, if they are supposed to be the best at their positions, they sure didn't show it, the time to gel doesn't fly when its been done before and Pau and Wade at the time weren't even close to best C or SG.

Likewise, you say no help but their bench got worse. They dealt Lin, Asik, Parsons, a first, a second, and only have ariza to show for it, and its not his contract year. Also, the last time the best sg and c played together they went to 4 finals in 5 years and the third leading scorer on 2/3 title teams was named Derek Fisher with Rick Fox and Robert Horry as the core.

That's what this is another failed Kobe and Shaq attempt by two players who can't touch them individually let alone in tandem when they were on their ****. Houston has been here before hen they boldly declared they had the next Kobe and Shaq in Tracy and Yao, how did that work end results wise, and they were better players to boot

bucketss
07-19-2014, 05:50 AM
i agree. with kobe injured and wade battling his own health concerns harden is probably the best 2 guard in the league. and dwight has been the best C in the league for awhile minus the last two years. he looked good in the playoffs and he might regain that title this year.

P&GRealist
07-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Neither Dwight nor Harden are the best at their respective position

Exactly, you need to know how To play both sides of the ball consistently to be considered the best at your position. Each does 1 of the 2 very well. Howard on D and Harden on O, but they are inconsistent and subpar at best on the other end.

P&GRealist
07-19-2014, 06:22 AM
i agree. with kobe injured and wade battling his own health concerns harden is probably the best 2 guard in the league. and dwight has been the best C in the league for awhile minus the last two years. he looked good in the playoffs and he might regain that title this year.

Again, in order to be labeled as 'the best' at a position, you need to learn how to play both sides of the ball consistently.

P&GRealist
07-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Kobe and Pau got to a finals with no camp. Wade and Shaq got to ecf in year one.

I mean damn, if they are supposed to be the best at their positions, they sure didn't show it, the time to gel doesn't fly when its been done before and Pau and Wade at the time weren't even close to best C or SG.

Likewise, you say no help but their bench got worse. They dealt Lin, Asik, Parsons, a first, a second, and only have ariza to show for it, and its not his contract year. Also, the last time the best sg and c played together they went to 4 finals in 5 years and the third leading scorer on 2/3 title teams was named Derek Fisher with Rick Fox and Robert Horry as the core.

That's what this is another failed Kobe and Shaq attempt by two players who can't touch them individually let alone in tandem when they were on their ****. Houston has been here before hen they boldly declared they had the next Kobe and Shaq in Tracy and Yao, how did that work end results wise, and they were better players to boot

Beautiful post, 100% accurate.

P&GRealist
07-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Because both players have glaring deficiencies

Best C - Noah or Marc Gasol

Best SG might be Harden .... but he plays zero defense so if I looked hard enough I could find a better SG

Klay Thompson comes to mind. Hell when healthy, Eric Gordon as he can play both sides of the ball.

P&GRealist
07-19-2014, 06:26 AM
he had back surgery

Well over 2 yrs ago. It's time he adjusted his game...oh wait, dude relied on his athleticism 100% and now he's half the player he was at best.

PurpleLynch
07-19-2014, 06:30 AM
Bold words,maybe a little too much,considering their team and the competition in the West.

And he's not the best center in the league. He lacks in general offensive abilities and his passing is 0. But still the best defensive presence in the league imo. Howard will have to backup these words.

DR_1
07-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Laugh all you want, , but if I were DR1 I'd be more worried about fixing Rose's knee

I don't have a problem with Houston I just loved the Star Wars reference.

c.c.
07-19-2014, 08:45 AM
You're right guys he should of said, our season is lost, we lost our best player, Harden and I blow dick

This! You guys expect this man to just give up before the season start because of Parsons departure

JasonJohnHorn
07-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Whether or not Howard and Harden are the best at their positions is not important. I do like that Howard has taken ownership on winning, but I do not like how he suggest the departure of Parsons won't affect the team.

I real 'teammate' would respect and recognize the contributions that another teammate made and not be so dismissive about their contributions.

Perhaps this was taken out of context, and Howard simply means that it will not affect his approach to his role as a leader, but it sounds like he is pretty much saying Parson was a non-factor in their winning, and if that is the case, then he simply doesn't recognize the importance of the contributions of his teammates.

Goose17
07-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Personally I think this was the right move for Houston, Ariza is the better player, in every way possible. Only reason you would take Parsons is because he's 4 years younger and probably hasn't peaked yet.

But I also like this for Dallas as Parsons is an upgrade offensively for them. Unfortunately they're rolling out a line up of Felton - Ellis - Parsons - Nowitzki - Chandler. Only one of those guys can hold his own defensively... if Chandler sits out at any point, this team will give up all star game type points to opponents.

Goose17
07-19-2014, 09:32 AM
West is tough, as we all know, and will be even tougher this year than it was last year imho. But Houston are easily one of the top 6 teams in the West (at least), along with the Clippers, Spurs and OKC. Those other two spots are debatable between about 4 teams.

Although their starting line up has improved with the addition of Ariza, I'm not sure how their bench will look. And will any of it matter if Harden chokes in the post season for the fourth consecutive year?

ManningToTyree
07-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Noah got traded to the rockets?

valade16
07-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Personally I think this was the right move for Houston, Ariza is the better player, in every way possible. Only reason you would take Parsons is because he's 4 years younger and probably hasn't peaked yet.

Seriously? Parson's has 2 seasons of 15+ PPG and 15+ PER in his last 2 seasons.

Ariza has 1 season if 15+ PPG (well, it was actually 14.9) and 4 of 15+ PER in 10 seasons.

The last 2 times he had 15+ PER were last season and 2009... Both contract years.

Ariza is better at defense, that's it.

valade16
07-19-2014, 11:39 AM
West is tough, as we all know, and will be even tougher this year than it was last year imho. But Houston are easily one of the top 6 teams in the West (at least), along with the Clippers, Spurs and OKC. Those other two spots are debatable between about 4 teams.

Although their starting line up has improved with the addition of Ariza, I'm not sure how their bench will look. And will any of it matter if Harden chokes in the post season for the fourth consecutive year?

So Portland beats Houston in a series last season and Houston loses 3 players and replaces them with 1 and Houston is somehow better than Portland?

Ok...

Bruno
07-19-2014, 03:41 PM

Kobe didn't play. he tore his acchillies at the end of the regular season. that doesn't count as "the best SG and best C getting knocked out of the first round together as teammates".

Jarvo
07-19-2014, 03:51 PM
I mean I dislike Harden and Dwight, But I think he should have said he was gonna miss Parsons then the rest. I hope he can back up what he said though.

Leftcoast_yg
07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Ginobili is a better SG and Marc, Noah are better centers.

Goose17
07-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Seriously? Parson's has 2 seasons of 15+ PPG and 15+ PER in his last 2 seasons.

Ariza has 1 season if 15+ PPG (well, it was actually 14.9) and 4 of 15+ PER in 10 seasons.

The last 2 times he had 15+ PER were last season and 2009... Both contract years.

Ariza is better at defense, that's it.

First of all, relying on PER to judge an entire players game isn't a good idea.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people underrate Ariza. And being better at defense is an understatement, Parsons is a disgustingly bad defender, Ariza is a high caliber defender, the margin is huge, the margin between their defensive ability is much greater than the margin between their offensive skill set. Ariza is far more well rounded and therefore, the better player (and the better fit, they need some wing defense with Harden out there). As for your ppg comment, Parsons averaged more FGA in both of those years than Ariza has ever averaged, exception being 2009. Here's some news for you, if your coach has you taking more field goal attempts, you're probably going to make more field goals.

Ariza averages 8.2 FGA for his career. Parsons averages 11.6 is it any wonder he scores more?

As for your second post, they lost Lin and Asik, it's hardly devastating. And I never said they were better than Portland, although I did completely forget about Portland tbh, but my point still stands, Houston are a top 6 team.

Goose17
07-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Ginobili is a better SG

Hi there time traveler, welcome to the year 2014, a few things have changed since your time, what decade are you from anyway?

Manu was better, back when he played over 70 games a season and averaged more than 20 minutes per game.

SILVER SEAVER
07-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Keep talking Dwight with the two of you getting ousted in the first round on a yearly basis. You couldn't get to the second round with Parsons.....what makes you think everything is going to be fine? If 50 regular season wins is your goal then done.

valade16
07-19-2014, 04:33 PM
First of all, relying on PER to judge an entire players game isn't a good idea.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people underrate Ariza. And being better at defense is an understatement, Parsons is a disgustingly bad defender, Ariza is a high caliber defender, the margin is huge, the margin between their defensive ability is much greater than the margin between their offensive skill set. Ariza is far more well rounded and therefore, the better player (and the better fit, they need some wing defense with Harden out there). As for your ppg comment, Parsons averaged more FGA in both of those years than Ariza has ever averaged, exception being 2009. Here's some news for you, if your coach has you taking more field goal attempts, you're probably going to make more field goals.

Ariza averages 8.2 FGA for his career. Parsons averages 11.6 is it any wonder he scores more?

As for your second post, they lost Lin and Asik, it's hardly devastating. And I never said they were better than Portland, although I did completely forget about Portland tbh, but my point still stands, Houston are a top 6 team.

Ariza takes 8 FGA per game because that's all he can take. He is just not
Much of an offensive threat at all.

Last season his TS% spiked to a level it's never been before, his career TS% is .524 and his previous 4 seasons to last year was .497. Before last season his Ortg was actually 99 from 09-13. His career 3pt % is 34.7%.

You are basically counting on him to duplicate his contract year (when he has never been able to duplicate a contract season the season after) just to be AS GOOD as Parsons is right now whilst simultaneously believing Parsons doesn't improve at all.

And can we please stop with this myth that Ariza is some lock-down defender? He's never been on an All-Defense team (never even been in the conversation in fact) and is a quality defender but not one that is going to shutdown the opposing teams best player by any means.

If someone were to make a list of all the wing players with as good or better defense than Ariza it would be a fairly long one.

Houston replaced a young up and coming player with a career journeyman. The only reason people can not call it a catastrophe is because they got him at half the price of Parsons...

Leftcoast_yg
07-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi there time traveler, welcome to the year 2014, a few things have changed since your time, what decade are you from anyway?

Manu was better, back when he played over 70 games a season and averaged more than 20 minutes per game.

Funny how Ginobili has been under rated all his career and look how far it has gotten him. But your right Harden was the one who has succeeded the most lately...oh wait.

bucketss
07-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Again, in order to be labeled as 'the best' at a position, you need to learn how to play both sides of the ball consistently.

kevin love says hello.

5ass
07-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Well over 2 yrs ago. It's time he adjusted his game...oh wait, dude relied on his athleticism 100% and now he's half the player he was at best.

Lol at half the player at best. You guys really are blinded by the hate. :laugh:

Confusious
07-19-2014, 06:11 PM
This! You guys expect this man to just give up before the season start because of Parsons departure
Nobody expects that. But stating the obvious, that you still have your two best players, does not excuse losing top quality players around you. Unless those two guys miraculously lead the team to a ship. And that won't happen without the Parsons in the NBA world.

That is why Dwight is getting blasted.

Goose17
07-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Funny how Ginobili has been under rated all his career and look how far it has gotten him. But your right Harden was the one who has succeeded the most lately...oh wait.

Underrated? Hello, he was sixth man of the year, a two time all star and a likely hall of famer. How the hell is that underrated?

And Ginobili success is entirely due to the TEAM. Unless you think putting him on the Houston roster would win Houston a chip? Dude isn't who he used to be, solid player, but not THAT player. Get over it.

Spurs win as a team, to single out any of them is unfair to the rest, none of them are putting up triple doubles, Duncan is still great but he's not the Duncan of old. People need to stop thinking they beat Miami because of one or two guys, they beat Miami because of their team work, end of discussion.

Ariza's Better
07-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Nobody expects that. But stating the obvious, that you still have your two best players, does not excuse losing top quality players around you. Unless those two guys miraculously lead the team to a ship. And that won't happen without the Parsons in the NBA world.

That is why Dwight is getting blasted.
So did you want him to say? What's the diffrence between what Dwight said and parsons said?

Chavacano
07-19-2014, 07:46 PM
I thought they were besties?

GREATNESS ONE
07-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Talk is cheap.

Jenceman
07-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Yeah Harden cant be the best SG when he plays only half the game

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

bucketss
07-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah Harden cant be the best SG when he plays only half the game

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

than who is?

NBA_Starter
07-19-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't think he is that smart but he may have a point here.

MonroeFAN
07-19-2014, 09:46 PM

Yao and Tmac.

Houston ftw.

MonroeFAN
07-19-2014, 09:48 PM
So did you want him to say? What's the diffrence between what Dwight said and parsons said?

Your name is just stupid. No one in their right mind thinks Ariza is better than Parsons. They aren't even close. Why are Houston fans such wanksters?

Ariza's Better
07-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Your name is just stupid. No one in their right mind thinks Ariza is better than Parsons. They aren't even close. Why are Houston fans such wanksters?
1. Look at my join date
2. My name means nothing.
3. Go away child

teecoop29
07-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Okay like I said before there no SG better then harden and pleae don't say kobe or wade okay harden do not play D but he is still the best SG right now and I think ariza is a better fit for ths team we need defense parson played no D either but people is talking about how much better he is then ariza.. Ariza play better D and a better 3 point shooter that what we needed on this team... Lin was a libility if we can get someone like jr smith to come off the bench Houston will be a top four team again next year they just need a scoring 6 man

valade16
07-20-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm shocked people are focusing on Howard saying he and Harden are the best C and SG in the game and not that he said losing Parsons won't affect them at all.

Harden and Howard have legitimate claims to being the best at their respective positions. The Parsons thing however, that's a tougher sell.

Saddletramp
07-20-2014, 02:48 AM
I'm shocked people are focusing on Howard saying he and Harden are the best C and SG in the game and not that he said losing Parsons won't affect them at all.

Harden and Howard have legitimate claims to being the best at their respective positions. The Parsons thing however, that's a tougher sell.

Yup. Couldn't agree more. I think he's just miffed at his boy Parsons "recruiting" him (although, if Harden wasn't on the team, Deight wouldn't have thought twice about coming to Houston), then signing that contract as soon as he could that gave the Rockets no time to scramble for their Plan B after they couldn't land Bosh/Carmelo. And then he cried to the media that he felt disrespected essentially because they didn't use the term "fourth star" when they were looking for someone else. That had to have been just a smokescreen/excuse to hide his disappointment that the Rockets didn't match.

I'd be miffed, too.

SILVER SEAVER
07-20-2014, 04:33 AM
Howard is not the best center and Harden isn't the best shooting guard so Howard's quote is more ridiculous because he makes those claims and acts like it's fine that you lost a key guy to your offense. This is why Howard will be lambasted the rest of his career everytime he speaks. He just needs to shut up and perform. This is how many years in the league and he just adds gasoline to the fire anytime he opens his mouth. When a team like Houston wants the monster names and when those guys go elsewhere and you dismiss a player who is a proven fit on your roster then you end up with the mess they have now. So even though Asik's contract wasn't the greatest he was Howard's backup so now he's gone, Parson's is gone and there are going to be some people who say signing Ariza makes everything ok? I mean just admit when your team screws up by putting all their eggs in one basket by clearing cap space to add a superstar player. It's too damn risky when most of them actually stay put because their team can offer them the most money.

shep33
07-20-2014, 05:01 AM
I think they are. But those are also the least talented positions in all of basketball now that Kobe, Wade, and Allen are over the hill.

I think Harden is the best SG in the NBA right now, but he's probably the 5th best guard in the West:

CP3
Russy
Curry
Parker
Harden

Lillard and Dragic are not too far behind either.

D12 and Noah are pretty even. Might take Howard for his scoring ability though

c.c.
07-20-2014, 05:20 AM
I think they are. But those are also the least talented positions in all of basketball now that Kobe, Wade, and Allen are over the hill.

I think Harden is the best SG in the NBA right now, but he's probably the 5th best guard in the West:

CP3
Russy
Curry
Parker
Harden

Lillard and Dragic are not too far behind either.

D12 and Noah are pretty even. Might take Howard for his scoring ability though

Speaking of scoring ability, don't even mention Noah! Everyone is saying Harden is not the best SG because he plays no D but love throwing Noah offensively challenged *** name out there. Last time I checked the team with the most points wins the game. I'm i wrong?

sf-fanatic
07-20-2014, 05:29 AM
Speaking of scoring ability, don't even mention Noah! Everyone is saying Harden is not the best SG because he plays no D but love throwing Noah offensively challenged *** name out there. Last time I checked the team with the most points wins the game. I'm i wrong?

Offense includes passing doesn't it ?

Gaucho_KL75
07-20-2014, 07:07 AM
Right now, Joakim Noah is quite easily the best Center in the game.

Goose17
07-20-2014, 10:00 AM

And by stopping people from scoring. You're going to end up with more points. Am I wrong?

valade16
07-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Right now, Joakim Noah is quite easily the best Center in the game.

Howard is better than Noah.

Mr.B
07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Okay like I said before there no SG better then harden and pleae don't say kobe or wade okay harden do not play D but he is still the best SG right now and I think ariza is a better fit for ths team we need defense parson played no D either but people is talking about how much better he is then ariza.. Ariza play better D and a better 3 point shooter that what we needed on this team... Lin was a libility if we can get someone like jr smith to come off the bench Houston will be a top four team again next year they just need a scoring 6 man
Using your logic that Ariza is a better player than Parsons just because his defense is better even though his offense is much worse then Lance Stephenson is a better SG than Harden. Stephenson has much better all around game than Harden. He rebounds better, passes better, and is a far superior defender than Harden.

c.c.
07-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Using your logic that Ariza is a better player than Parsons just because his defense is better even though his offense is much worse then Lance Stephenson is a better SG than Harden. Stephenson has much better all around game than Harden. He rebounds better, passes better, and is a far superior defender than Harden.

Same with Howard and Noah logic. Just because he's a better passer, he's the better player.

Mr.B
07-20-2014, 11:38 AM
I would say that Gasol is a better center than Howard. It would have been better if he had said Top 5 center and Top 5 SG. No one could have made an argument if he had said that.

c.c.
07-20-2014, 11:52 AM
All you PSD members know you guys will replace Howard and Harden with your team current SG and C in a heart beat. That goes for ever team in the National Basketball Association. THATS ALL I GOTTA SAY!!!

JLynn943
07-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Dwight isn't far off. Both players at least have an argument for it.

All you PSD members know you guys will replace Howard and Harden with your team current SG and C in a heart beat. That goes for ever team in the National Basketball Association. THATS ALL I GOTTA SAY!!!

No. They're the best C/SG combination on a team, but there are teams that would not need to take both.

teecoop29
07-20-2014, 12:22 PM
If u had really listen to what I had said I never said ariza was better then parson I said ariza is a better fit for what the rockets need on this team plus come on y'all overating parson a lil to much u look at parson n ariza number from last year in they are almost the same

teecoop29
07-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Number never lie
Joakim Noah - 12/11/05
Howard - 18/12/02
U tell me who is better

JLynn943
07-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Number never lie
Joakim Noah - 12/11/05
Howard - 18/12/02
U tell me who is better

Noah's 3 extra assists at the very least balance out the 6 ppg difference. Those assists could also be 3 pointers or have free throws involved, so I'm not sure you're making the point you think you are.

LakersEaglesLA
07-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Did Kobe die? Harden dosent just get labelled the best SG in the league because Kobe was injured. The guy disappears in playoffs while Kobe excels. This season Kobe is 100% it is disrespectful to take his throne without watching him play this coming year. He will score 50 on opening night just to remind you clueless people.

teecoop29
07-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Tell who number was better in da playoff between Howard n Noah it's not even close

c.c.
07-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Noah's 3 extra assists at the very least balance out the 6 ppg difference. Those assists could also be 3 pointers or have free throws involved, so I'm not sure you're making the point you think you are.

Dude come on now, if they swapped numbers you would of easily chose Noah

Bruno
07-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Yao and Tmac.

Houston ftw.

McGrady was never the best SG in the NBA as a Houston Rocket. he has a strong argument for a year in Orlando.

#1chickhearnfan
07-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Doesn't the BEST center have to be all NBA first team? Im not quite sure who was last year. Anyway.....I would still take marc gasol over dwight any day

Chronz
07-20-2014, 03:35 PM
McGrady was never the best SG in the NBA as a Houston Rocket. he has a strong argument for a year in Orlando.
Based on what?

JLynn943
07-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Dude come on now, if they swapped numbers you would of easily chose Noah
I've got no bias in this. Howard could be better than Noah, I think it just depends on the team fit. I just called out a really weak argument.

Verbal Christ
07-20-2014, 03:38 PM

Stop embarrassing yourself. Use this tool to take the guesswork out of the argument and expose everyones motives. Its okay to 'hate' any team for no particular reason because of players or coaches or GM's. No need to make outlandish statements to somehow legitimize an obviously wrong assessment.

http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbaPlayerCompare.aspx

Mr.B
07-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Stop embarrassing yourself. Use this tool to take the guesswork out of the argument and expose everyones motives. Its okay to 'hate' any team for no particular reason because of players or coaches or GM's. No need to make outlandish statements to somehow legitimize an obviously wrong assessment.

http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbaPlayerCompare.aspx
Sorry I don't speak troll

Chronz
07-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Number never lie
Joakim Noah - 12/11/05
Howard - 18/12/02
U tell me who is better

Noah? Why are we limiting our numbers to 3 archaic choices?

FlashBolt
07-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Noah plays harder defense and hustles every play.. Howard doesn't. Let's not forget Noah hits his free throws and Howard will waste a possession because he'll get fouled purposely.

Chronz
07-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Noah plays harder defense and hustles every play.. Howard doesn't. Let's not forget Noah hits his free throws and Howard will waste a possession because he'll get fouled purposely.

Lets not get carried away, in the words of Phil Jackson, even hitting 1 free throw (50%) is better than 1 Pt per possession and it also allows you to set your defense on the other end. Hardly a waste. Whenever the biggest complaint on a player is his FT%, then its indicative of how little people have to say. In this case, Howards propensity for turnovers and lack of vision are what hurt him, FT's are inconsequential in comparison.

JJ_JKidd
07-20-2014, 08:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11233243/dwight-howard-says-chandler-parsons-leaving-affect-houston-rockets

Big statement from him hopefully he can miraculously avg 28 and 15 like shaq say

Wholeheartedly agree that Harden is the best SG and Dwight is the best C. Heck, they can even call anyone as the BEST. They can also tell that to the Spurs btw :rolleyes:

Iron24th
07-20-2014, 09:24 PM
as usual dwight will open his mouth but will never back his words on the court

smiddy012
07-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure that Noah > DH, but I am certain that Noah hasn't reached his peak yet.

smiddy012
07-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Lets not get carried away, in the words of Phil Jackson, even hitting 1 free throw (50%) is better than 1 Pt per possession and it also allows you to set your defense on the other end. Hardly a waste. Whenever the biggest complaint on a player is his FT%, then its indicative of how little people have to say. In this case, Howards propensity for turnovers and lack of vision are what hurt him, FT's are inconsequential in comparison.

DH also lacks in leadership skills, compared to Noah.

Htownballa1622
07-20-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure that Noah > DH, but I am certain that Noah hasn't reached his peak yet.

Based off of what? He's 29 now and Dwight is 28 until December.

With that logic, dwight hasn't reached his peak (sarcasm)

Htownballa1622
07-20-2014, 09:36 PM
DH also lacks in leadership skills, compared to Noah.

How do YOU quantify leadership skills?

goingfor28
07-20-2014, 09:50 PM
How do YOU quantify leadership skills?
Definitely not by crying your way out of 2 different teams and getting your coaches fired and quitting in the playoffs.

CityofTreez
07-20-2014, 10:04 PM

Yup, this is the bigger picture with this statement .

The whole "Me, Myself, and Harden" crap is BS, and a pathetic way to view your team in general.

Htownballa1622
07-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Definitely not by crying your way out of 2 different teams and getting your coaches fired and quitting in the playoffs.

So you quantify leadership by what a player shouldn't do?

Sounds like you're a lil confused.

goingfor28
07-20-2014, 10:06 PM
So you quantity leadership by what a player shouldn't do?

Sounds like you're a lil confused.
Very

MyDRoseLikeDeng
07-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Dwight is a clown lol. Plain and simple

ThuglifeJ
07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Oh man..Houston fans now defending Howards leadership now...

Htownballa1622
07-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Oh man..Houston fans now defending Howards leadership now...

No where did I defend howard. I asked how to quantify a player's leadership.

Reading comprehension is key but I don't expect it from you.

P&GRealist
07-20-2014, 11:37 PM

boom!

P&GRealist
07-20-2014, 11:38 PM
No where did I defend howard. I asked how to quantify a player's leadership.

Reading comprehension is key but I don't expect it from you.

Why would you bring up the question of leadership in a Dwight Howard thread in the first place?

Are you insinuating that you mistakenly just went off topic?

Htownballa1622
07-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Why would you bring up the question of leadership in a Dwight Howard thread in the first place?

Are you insinuating that you mistakenly just went off topic?

Clearly reading isn't your strong suit either? Come on bro.

Go back and see where I responded to someone named smiddy

c.c.
07-21-2014, 04:08 AM
Clearly reading isn't your strong suit either? Come on bro.

Go back and see where I responded to someone named smiddy

These guys are horrible bro lol

rockets-fan
07-21-2014, 04:38 AM
Yup, this is the bigger picture with this statement .

The whole "Me, Myself, and Harden" crap is BS, and a pathetic way to view your team in general.

Let's be honest, if he puts it on him and harden , psd riots and says he's star lusted and disrespecting the team. If he doesn't, then psd riots saying he doesn't take leadership over the team like a true stR. He's wrong in a ways by psd standard so why bother posting about him

thenaj17
07-21-2014, 06:55 AM

Kobe didn't play that series and Dwight still wasn't healthy to be fair to them both

Htownballa1622
07-21-2014, 07:12 AM
These guys are horrible bro lol

Lol. :nod:

It's getting to where I won't even respond to them anymore because it's like arguing with a wall.

effen5
07-21-2014, 07:43 AM

I'd swap our SG in a heart beat but no I would not swap Noah for Dwight. Maybe 5 years ago I would in a heart beat but as of now, I'd rather have Noah on my team than Dwight.

While yes Dwight does score more points, you can actually run an offense through Noah.

BALLER R
07-21-2014, 08:07 AM
So their the newer version of Shaq and Kobe or what, Dwight isn't the best center and I don't even think Harden is the best SG. One have no offense and the other has zero defense. If harden is the best SG then it's by default because a lot of the other guys are too young and not ready yet.

DR_1
07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Noah got traded to the rockets?

:laugh2:

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-21-2014, 12:25 PM
I think Wade is better than Harden personally. Wade has become underrated because of injuries and sacraficing his game for Lebron and his team. But Wade is still only 33 and can still ball. He will prove it this year. And besides, SG is a thing position right now anyway. Harden is a good player, but he is not the type of franchise player that will win you a championship as the #1 option.

Dwight isn't that type of player either and it is very debateable whether or not he is the top Center. There are 3-4 others who are right up there with him and just like with SG, C is also another thin position. IMO Neither are top 10 players in the NBA right now. Both are close though.

They are a good duo, but not the type that can win a ship without a very good and deep supporting cast. So yeah, losing Parsons does indeed hurt them. They need more depth and quality players not less. This ain't like Kobe and Shaq where you can just build around them with a decent amount of role players. They need some real quality help on that team. Howard and Harden just aren't at the level of say... Durant and Westbrook. So while they might be the top players at their positions (debateable), they aren't nearly good enough to do it by themselves.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Here is the thing about Dwight... I honestly believe that if he was a better free throw shooter, it wouldn't even be a question that he is the best overall Center in the NBA.

He turns the ball over, is not a good passer at all, and misses way too many free throws. On the surface, when you look at his stats he wows you. But, when you watch the games you can see how his weaknesses impact the game. If he could at least knock down 70% of his free throws, he would be so much better. Opponents know they can just foul him if they need to.

NFLNBA
07-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Marc Gasol is best C. Great on both ends of floor. Howard is a freak athlete nothing more. Howard will NEVER get a ring being even 2nd option. If Kobe is 80% Kobe then he is still best SG but that is yet to be seen. Harden has shown to disappear and his defense is so bad when his offense is gone he offers nothing.

ink
07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Have to agree that Dwight hasn't amounted to a lot more than a freak athlete. Imagine if Howard had 1/2 of either Gasol's basketball sense.

Tony_Starks
07-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Dwight gets props for at least manning up and trying to be a leader but it also shows his immaturity. He's still fixated on being the best center instead of being the fiercest defensive monster in the game.

If he could ever get a Ben Wallace mentality where he wants to swat every shot and gobble up every board in sight he would dominate games without even shooting. Don't get me wrong, his numbers are nothing to sneeze at but he could be having a much larger impact on the game.

CityofTreez
07-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Let's be honest, if he puts it on him and harden , psd riots and says he's star lusted and disrespecting the team. If he doesn't, then psd riots saying he doesn't take leadership over the team like a true stR. He's wrong in a ways by psd standard so why bother posting about him

Because his statement has it's consequences from several viewpoints.

I don't give a **** about what PSD thinks about my team/players, being a Kings fan, you'd probably post some garbage about my team that would warrant why I don't take PSD personally. This Dwight statement can be viewed as beneficial and negatively, but to present yourself as a leader is not singling out departed teammates, and focusing on your two best players. It's doing what he did against Portland by scoring the first (what was it, 15?) points with ease. Not dumb *** statements like this that shows he can be trolled by your everyday reporter over a sudden departure of Parsons.

CKinKC
07-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Noah, Aldridge, Mark Gasol, Anthony Davis are all better than Howard

smiddy012
07-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Based off of what? He's 29 now and Dwight is 28 until December.

With that logic, dwight hasn't reached his peak (sarcasm)

Based off Noah having his best season last season - it's not rocket science. Anybody's who's followed the guy knows he hasn't peaked yet.

And I made no statement pertaining to DH's peak - so infer what you like.

Htownballa1622
07-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Based off Noah having his best season last season - it's not rocket science. Anybody's who's followed the guy knows he hasn't peaked yet.

And I made no statement pertaining to DH's peak - so infer what you like.

With rose coming back idk what to think but not ever year does a player get better especially at age 29.

We shall see.

alexander_37
07-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Noah, Aldridge, Mark Gasol, Anthony Davis are all better than Howard

If you knew anything about basketball you would know 2 of those guys are power forwards :pity:

mightybosstone
07-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Is everyone really freaking out over this statement? I think you'd be hard pressed to try and prove that Harden isn't the best true SG in the NBA and Dwight is certainly in that conversation as one of the top 1-3 centers in the league. The guy is just trying to stay confident after he's heard nothing but the media and fans ripping his team apart over the last couple of weeks. I'm actually glad to hear him say that. I'd much rather him do that than tear apart the front office or complain about Parsons leaving, wouldn't you?

Tony_Starks
07-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Is everyone really freaking out over this statement? I think you'd be hard pressed to try and prove that Harden isn't the best true SG in the NBA and Dwight is certainly in that conversation as one of the top 1-3 centers in the league. The guy is just trying to stay confident after he's heard nothing but the media and fans ripping his team apart over the last couple of weeks. I'm actually glad to hear him say that. I'd much rather him do that than tear apart the front office or complain about Parsons leaving, wouldn't you?

Who said he should complain or tear the front office apart? There is such a thing as acknowledging Parsons contributions, thanking him, and keeping it moving.

But I wouldn't say people are "freaking out." He's a star player, of course his words are under a microscope. Quite frankly he's bought a lot of this super scrutiny upon himself....

mightybosstone
07-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Who said he should complain or tear the front office apart? There is such a thing as acknowledging Parsons contributions, thanking him, and keeping it moving.

But I wouldn't say people are "freaking out." He's a star player, of course his words are under a microscope. Quite frankly he's bought a lot of this super scrutiny upon himself....
I agree that the guy has done stuff in the past to deserve scrutiny. This is not one of those things. This is merely one of those non-stories that the media and fans blow into something bigger than it really is. The guy was asked about how much of an impact losing Parsons would have on the team and he responded with a confident answer. I'm glad he did. And instead of dwelling on the players that are gone, he praised the guy coming in (Ariza), which is what you should do as a player.

CKinKC
07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
If you knew anything about basketball you would know 2 of those guys are power forwards :pity:

And Howard never plays power forward? Davis never plays center? How about Bosh? Lebron always a shooting forward? Maybe it's you who doesn't know basketball. Either way Howard isn't the best at any position

L8kers4life
07-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I agree that the guy has done stuff in the past to deserve scrutiny. This is not one of those things. This is merely one of those non-stories that the media and fans blow into something bigger than it really is. The guy was asked about how much of an impact losing Parsons would have on the team and he responded with a confident answer. I'm glad he did. And instead of dwelling on the players that are gone, he praised the guy coming in (Ariza), which is what you should do as a player.

This is complete bull. Even when Dwight left the lakers, Kobe said that they would miss what Dwight could bring and they would have to fill his shoes by comitee. Dwight is supposedly Parsons friend, and Parsons was one of the main recruiters in bringing Dwight to Houston, for you to say he shouldn't even acknowledge Parsons and he should praise the guy coming in, is complete bull ****. If Parsons is your boy and he helped out your team, he should at least be acknowledged. Hell when the Lakers lost Steve Blake, Bryant was pissed and let management know it. Who cares if it pissed management off, if management is messing up they should know about it.

DaBear
07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Dwight Howard is a joke.

championships
07-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Crazy how the best C and SG couldn't get out of the first round.

Ariza's Better
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
This is complete bull. Even when Dwight left the lakers, Kobe said that they would miss what Dwight could bring and they would have to fill his shoes by comitee. Dwight is supposedly Parsons friend, and Parsons was one of the main recruiters in bringing Dwight to Houston, for you to say he shouldn't even acknowledge Parsons and he should praise the guy coming in, is complete bull ****. If Parsons is your boy and he helped out your team, he should at least be acknowledged. Hell when the Lakers lost Steve Blake, Bryant was pissed and let management know it. Who cares if it pissed management off, if management is messing up they should know about it.
1. Direct quote from Kobe on Dwight leaving "honestly man, I don't give a ****, it is what it is". I totally get we are going to miss him from that quote.
2. If Dwight complained, then everyone would jump down his throat for complaining again. Then everyone would be jumping up and down saying that he will demand a trade soon.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Dwight can't win the media/fans.

mightybosstone
07-21-2014, 11:10 PM
This is complete bull. Even when Dwight left the lakers, Kobe said that they would miss what Dwight could bring and they would have to fill his shoes by comitee.
So what? Because one player responded one way to a question now every other player should respond exactly the same to the same question? That's crap. Dwight is his own man and can respond during an interview however he sees fit. He didn't do anything blasphemous. And unlike in the situation of Dwight leaving LA, the Rockets actually found a solid Plan B to Parsons in Ariza. There was no plan B for Dwight Howard.

Dwight is supposedly Parsons friend, and Parsons was one of the main recruiters in bringing Dwight to Houston, for you to say he shouldn't even acknowledge Parsons and he should praise the guy coming in, is complete bull ****.
Two things here.
1. If Parsons IS Dwight's friend, than he'll understand. Dwight was asked a question and he did what he could to stick up for his current team, which is where his loyalties lie. Parsons and Howard may be friends, but the Rockets are not only his friends, but his current employer and colleagues.
2. You assume Parsons and Dwight are best buddies. But all we know is that Parsons recruited Dwight and that they have the same agent. Hell, I assumed they were friends when Parsons was here. But those are practically baseless assumptions made by fans with very little to back them up. We have no idea what was going on behind the scenes or how close they really were.

If Parsons is your boy and he helped out your team, he should at least be acknowledged. Hell when the Lakers lost Steve Blake, Bryant was pissed and let management know it. Who cares if it pissed management off, if management is messing up they should know about it.
Did you read the article at all? He still wished Parsons well in Dallas. You're making it sound like he totally crapped all over Parsons, which simply isn't the case. Also, the one thing you're totally overlooking here is that so much of the Parsons decision was in the hands of Chandler Parsons. Chandler did not have to sign that deal. The Rockets made him an offer and he turned it down to go to another team. How is Dwight supposed to take that? If you're Dwight and the rest of the Rockets, you're probably a little hurt by that. Because Parsons clearly got overpaid in a market that dictated he was worth far more than he really was, but ultimately it was too rich for the Rockets to match. So Chandler leaving is as much on Chandler as it is on anybody else in this situation.

Chandler Parsons is not a saint. Dwight Howard is not a heartless bastard. Get over yourself and move on from your blatantly obvious hatred of the man.

mightybosstone
07-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Crazy how the best C and SG couldn't get out of the first round.

Since when does individual talent dictate necessarily dictate postseason success? Lebron James just got crushed in the Finals in a series in which he was far and away the best player. Basketball is a team sport and talent does not always trump matchup, chemistry and the production of players within an insanely small sample size of a single series. Portland played better. That doesn't make Harden or Howard worse basketball players.

Goose17
07-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Is everyone really freaking out over this statement? I think you'd be hard pressed to try and prove that Harden isn't the best true SG in the NBA and Dwight is certainly in that conversation as one of the top 1-3 centers in the league.

To be fair, Dwight is easily a top 3 center, and there's definitely an argument for him being the best. But what exactly is a "true SG"... a guy who scores a lot in the regular season, repeatedly chokes in the playoffs and is incapable of playing defense?

Seriously, I hate these labels of "true", like a "true PG" or "True PF". What is that crap?

Harden is the best SG in the game offensively. There's no question about that in my mind. But when you start to consider overall game, it isn't so clear cut. The margin between him and others defensively compared to the margin between him and others offensively is very important.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 03:31 PM
To be fair, Dwight is easily a top 3 center, and there's definitely an argument for him being the best. But what exactly is a "true SG"... a guy who scores a lot in the regular season, repeatedly chokes in the playoffs and is incapable of playing defense?
You're being intentionally dense so you can use it as an excuse to insult Harden. So clever. I've never seen that before. :eyebrow:

"True SG" is just my way of saying he plays almost all of his minutes at SG and couldn't feasibly be confused for playing any other position. There are other combo guards and wings in this league that you could make a case for as better players than Harden. Paul George is a better two-way player, but the guy is more of a SF than SG, hence the phrase "true SG." You could also make case for guys like Westbrook, combo guards who play PG but could also thrive as a SG in the right system.

Seriously, I hate these labels of "true", like a "true PG" or "True PF". What is that crap?
Again, it's just a way to rule out players that you could argue could feasibly play SG but are far more likely to play other positions. I don't understand your frustration with the phrase. Someone like Chris Paul is a true PG. Blake Griffin and Kevin Love could be considered true PFs. It's not a complicated phrase or something that's mean to be derogatory. It just means those players are uniquely suited to play those positions.

Harden is the best SG in the game offensively. There's no question about that in my mind. But when you start to consider overall game, it isn't so clear cut. The margin between him and others defensively compared to the margin between him and others offensively is very important.
But as I've stated a million times before, offense in this league is at a far higher premium than defense. You could make an okay argument that the gap between Klay Thompson and Harden's defense is greater than the gap between Harden and Thompson's offense. But offensive value in this league will always be more highly valued than defensive value. That's why Tony Allen makes one-third of what Harden makes, Harden was voted fifth in MVP voting and was first team All-NBA last season.

Spanklin
07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Centers I'd take over Howard at this point:

1. Boogie. He's going to be a beast next season. He's the best defensive rebounder in the game and can hit free throws, taking 8.4 per game.

2. Noah. What more can be said about this guy?

3. Anthony Davis.

4. Marc Gasol. Intangibles.

5. Rudy Gobert. Okay, okay, probably not next season, but this kid is going to be special. He might already be a better defender than Howard. For those who do not know, he plays for Utah.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Centers I'd take over Howard at this point:

1. Boogie. He's going to be a beast next season. He's the best defensive rebounder in the game and can hit free throws, taking 8.4 per game.

2. Noah. What more can be said about this guy?

3. Anthony Davis.

4. Marc Gasol. Intangibles.

5. Rudy Gobert. Okay, okay, probably not next season, but this kid is going to be special. He might already be a better defender than Howard. For those who do not know, he plays for Utah.

Gobert is not remotely close to the player Howard is right now. You can make a strong case for the other four guys, although Davis is a PF, so that's kind of a moot point. Regardless, I think Howard is certainly in the top center discussion and is unquestionably one of the 3-5 best centers in the league. I don't knock a guy for being confident and saying he's the best if he's already in that discussion and has been the best in the past.

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 06:40 PM
I still find it funny that Parsons sweet talked Howard to Houston only for Parsons to go to Dallas the following summer.

Parsons probably discovered how overrated it was to play with Howard.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I still find it funny that Parsons sweet talked Howard to Houston only for Parsons to go to Dallas the following summer.

Parsons probably discovered how overrated it was to play with Howard.

Being a bit obvious, aren't we troll? :eyebrow:

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Being a bit obvious, aren't we troll? :eyebrow:
I'm just speaking the truth. I'm sure Parsons will enjoy more playing next to a champion and future HOFer like Dirk over a perennial Allstar big man in Dwight.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm just speaking the truth. I'm sure Parsons will enjoy more playing next to a champion and future HOFer like Dirk over a perennial Allstar big man in Dwight.

Don't kid yourself. Howard is a lock to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

P&GRealist
07-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Don't kid yourself. Howard is a lock to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
No I don't think so. I can certainly make a thread about it. After his first 7 yrs in the league, it was certainly heading towards that direction, but these last 3 yrs have done nothing for him to make that case. In fact, he has taken steps backwards career wise and legacy wise. His stock has fallen down rather quickly from 2011 to now.

mightybosstone
07-22-2014, 08:45 PM
No I don't think so. I can certainly make a thread about it. After his first 7 yrs in the league, it was certainly heading towards that direction, but these last 3 yrs have done nothing for him to make that case. In fact, he has taken steps backwards career wise and legacy wise. His stock has fallen down rather quickly from 2011 to now.

Having a short peak or prime should not necessarily damage your career. If that's the case, then Wade should be questioned as a first ballot Hall of Famer.

alexander_37
07-23-2014, 01:30 AM
Howard with 3 more decent 800 rebound seasons will be passing Ewing, Barkley and Rodman. He is a first ballot.

Goose17
07-23-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry but Howard is clearly going to be a first ballot.

Let's start with the fact that he's the only player in the entire history of the league to win the defensive player of the year award in three consecutive seasons... 8 time all star, Orlandos all time leading scorer, 5 time rebounding leader, 2 time leader in blocks, four time all-defense first team, five time all-NBA first team... and he's not even 30 yet. If he adds a ring into that, I have no idea how you can argue against this. Come on people, he might not be who he was but you're selling him short.

mrblisterdundee
07-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I'd actually agree with Dwight Howard. I think he still has the ability to be the best center in the NBA. It's all about drive with him. And James Harden is easily the best offensive shooting guard in the NBA. If only he'd play defense, he'd be in MVP discussion. Still, though, it hurt losing Chandler Parsons. I would have at least tried for Bledsoe, or even Luol Deng. The Rockets would do well with a defensively minded third banana.

NBA_Starter
07-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Howard is a bit delusional.

Verbal Christ
07-24-2014, 12:14 AM
I'd actually agree with Dwight Howard. I think he still has the ability to be the best center in the NBA. It's all about drive with him. And James Harden is easily the best offensive shooting guard in the NBA. If only he'd play defense, he'd be in MVP discussion. Still, though, it hurt losing Chandler Parsons. I would have at least tried for Bledsoe, or even Luol Deng. The Rockets would do well with a defensively minded third banana.

You mean somebody like Trevor Ariza?

Goose17
07-26-2014, 03:24 PM
But as I've stated a million times before, offense in this league is at a far higher premium than defense. You could make an okay argument that the gap between Klay Thompson and Harden's defense is greater than the gap between Harden and Thompson's offense. But offensive value in this league will always be more highly valued than defensive value. That's why Tony Allen makes one-third of what Harden makes, Harden was voted fifth in MVP voting and was first team All-NBA last season.

But none of that makes you the best in your position.

JEDean89
07-26-2014, 03:49 PM
I don't see many guys who are complete 2 way players who have taken their team to the finals and won chips. Dirk is probably the closest and his entire team (Kidd, Marion, Chandler, Stevenson) were all defensive experts. If the Rockets are gonna win with Harden running around like an idiot on defense without a clue, they will need to have top level defenders at every position. Beverly, Dwight and Ariza are a good start, but still not enough. McHale is also gonna have to start demanding some effort from Harden on that end.

rockets-fan
07-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I don't see many guys who are complete 2 way players who have taken their team to the finals and won chips. Dirk is probably the closest and his entire team (Kidd, Marion, Chandler, Stevenson) were all defensive experts. If the Rockets are gonna win with Harden running around like an idiot on defense without a clue, they will need to have top level defenders at every position. Beverly, Dwight and Ariza are a good start, but still not enough. McHale is also gonna have to start demanding some effort from Harden on that end.

The Rockets can still have a successful offseason.if they add

Sessions, Marion, and Okafor they will have a very balanced team.

Nick Johnson looks like he was a steal by morey, why am I not surprised.

Beverly/sessions/ish smith
Harden/Johnson
Ariza/Marion
Jones/Dmo/Capella
Howard/Okafor

This is of coarse if they add those three pieces.
I'd say adding Ariza,Sessions,Marion,and Okafor will more than make up for losing Parsons and Lin. Asik barely played so he won't hurt much despite his production when he did play.

Saddletramp
07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
The Rockets can still have a successful offseason.if they add

Sessions, Marion, and Okafor they will have a very balanced team.

Nick Johnson looks like he was a steal by morey, why am I not surprised.

Beverly/sessions/ish smith
Harden/Johnson
Ariza/Marion
Jones/Dmo/Capella
Howard/Okafor

This is of coarse if they add those three pieces.
I'd say adding Ariza,Sessions,Marion,and Okafor will more than make up for losing Parsons and Lin. Asik barely played so he won't hurt much despite his production when he did play.

You're forgetting Canaan, Daniels, Covington. Dorsey and Adrien.

BlondeBomber41
07-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Trevor Ariza is no third option. Not on a contender at least.

Verbal Christ
07-26-2014, 09:15 PM

And yet Parsons is? While they both share the same stats? Isnt that ironic? LOL

If you would have responded in context instead of just spouting off, you would have noticed that a component of the response hinged on the DEFENSIVE portion of the formula ... one which Ariza is head and shoulders above the previous 'role player'

supersplashbros
07-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Harden and Dwight should probably get out of the first round before they start labeling themselves "cornerstones" ...

mightybosstone
07-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Harden and Dwight should probably get out of the first round before they start labeling themselves "cornerstones" ...

What does that have to do with anything? Parsons didn't get past the first round with Houston the last two years either. And both Howard and Harden have gotten out of the first round multiple times with other teams.

supersplashbros
07-26-2014, 11:30 PM
What does that have to do with anything? Parsons didn't get past the first round with Houston the last two years either. And both Howard and Harden have gotten out of the first round multiple times with other teams.

Harden hasn't as the 1st option

Dwight, yes ... maybe try surrounding him with shooters at every position like in 2009

BlondeBomber41
07-26-2014, 11:59 PM

If you would have responded in context instead of just spouting off, you would have noticed that a component of the response hinged on the DEFENSIVE portion of the formula ... one which Ariza is head and shoulders above the previous 'role player'

Parsons is getting better every single year. Ariza pulled his normal contract year magic. Silly comparison.

kawhi_knows
07-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Parsons is getting better every single year. Ariza pulled his normal contract year magic. Silly comparison.

Lol it seems like Ariza does this every time ... Parsons is gonna be a steal

Mr.B
07-27-2014, 01:38 AM

Its going to be fun to see how disappointed you're going to be with Ariza this year.

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Why is that a silly comparison? You're missing a couple of really, really key components. First off, so much of Ariza's improvement last season came at the 3-point line. And it's not uncommon at all to see an experienced wing player develop a much better 3-point shot later in his career. So what reason is there to believe that won't continue? As for Parsons improvements, he made a monumental leap from his rookie to sophomore seasons, but last year was hardly much of a step forward.

You can play up the situation how ever you want, but I think there are a lot of GMs around the league who would much rather have Ariza at $9 million than Parsons at $15 million.

Lol it seems like Ariza does this every time ... Parsons is gonna be a steal
No. He's not. I loved Parsons when he was in Houston. He's an excellent glue guy and he does everything well. But anyone expecting him to live up to a mass contract will be seriously disappointed. Few players got overpaid this season worse than Parsons did.

Its going to be fun to see how disappointed you're going to be with Ariza this year.
I don't see how we could be. If the guy can shoot 36-38% from the 3-point line with maybe something like a consistent 12/5/3/1 and excellent perimeter defense, I'd be totally happy with that at $9 million a year. If anything, you're far more likely to be disappointed with Parsons at $15 million a year than we are with Parsons. If you're expecting Parsons to be the missing link to take Dallas to contender status, I honestly think you're going to be sorely mistaken.

P&GRealist
07-27-2014, 04:34 AM

You mean Mr. Contract Year?

You guys were dumb enough to overpay for him both times after contract yrs in 2009 and 2014.

Saddletramp
07-27-2014, 07:41 AM

You guys were dumb enough to overpay for him both times after contract yrs in 2009 and 2014.

He was rumored to be targeted at $10-12 per year and he signed for $8 a year. How is that an overpay? The only way Dallas can attract free agents is by overpaying them while guys sign in Houston for less money (Howard and Ariza). And I'm pretty sure Bsh would have signed here, too, if he put winning first and not South Beach life for his family. And don't tell me Ellis signed for cheap after he gained a chucked reputation and how long did it take to sign him? When a guy signs a couple of weeks into free agency it's because he's settling on the best deal he can get.

Goose17
07-27-2014, 10:01 AM

Ariza is a clear upgrade over Parsons, improves your starting 5 no doubt.

Parsons isn't a bad player, and he's an upgrade over what Dallas had... just a shame they're going to have teams dropping 200 points on them every night because of that terrible defense.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:09 AM
I like Ariza and I watched him a lot this past season due to the fact that I live in Maryland and I get to see the Wizards all the time. If the Mavs struck out on Parsons I was hoping we would target Ariza. Not because Ariza was the for sure second best option, but because every alternative at SF was going to be extremely overpaid. He is a very serviceable SF.

With that said, he is not as good or as much of an impact as he's being made out to be. This past season he had a good year but I personally felt like it was a result of strong play from the Wizards as a whole. If you look at his numbers from the 4 years prior to his contract season with the Wizards, his FG percentage was 39-41% every year. His 3pt percentage was in the low 30's every year except for his first year with the Wizards where he shot 36%. Before his 2 years with the Wizards his career high 3pt percentage was 33.4%.

He is a good role player but his numbers with the Wizards were more of a product of John Wall and Beal creating for him. I'm sure Harden will have his moments where he drives and kicks to Ariza but the quality of looks aren't going to be as strong as they were in Washington. Wall and Beal created so many defensive lapses with forcing the entire back court to shift. Harden isn't doing that by himself and the Rockets don't have a passer of the caliber of Wall.

Long story short, Ariza does not suck and is a quality SF. But comparing his impact to Parsons isn't really a fair comparison.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:15 AM
I didn't even mention defensive ratings in my previous post because there are no fair ways to gauge a single players defensive ability other than eye tests. I personally think Ariza and Parsons are closer in defensive ability than most people are lead to believe but it's a waste of time trying to argue that point without evidence.

I wanted Parsons and believed in his skill set before the Mavs actually inked the deal. I just didn't think getting him was a real possibility when FA started. I can't confidently say the same for the Rockets fans and their new found love for Ariza.

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 11:20 AM

See, this is what I don't understand. Dozens of posters have brought up his contract year production, but did you see his actual production in 2009 prior to signing the deal? Sure, he posted great advanced statistics, but his basic statline was just 9/4/2/2 in only 24 minutes per game. The Rockets weren't paying him on having some spectacular contract year. They were paying him based on his potential to possibly break out as a great two-way player since he was only 22 years old.

Now this time around, I get the contract year criticism. Except people are overlooking that Ariza's biggest improvement has come at the 3-point line and that wasn't just a one-year improvement. The guy's 3-point shooting has seen a steady rise the last three seasons and last year he took almost 52% of his shots from beyond the arc and made over 40% of them.

That's not some random contract year explosion. That's a player in his mid 20s finally developing a 3-point shot and understanding good shot selection. We've seen dozens of guards and wings over the last couple of decades finally develop a 3-point shot around this time and learn to rely on that open 3-pointer more heavily. Why can't Ariza be one of those guys and not just somebody who played well because it was a contract year?

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 11:26 AM
I like Ariza and I watched him a lot this past season due to the fact that I live in Maryland and I get to see the Wizards all the time. If the Mavs struck out on Parsons I was hoping we would target Ariza. Not because Ariza was the for sure second best option, but because every alternative at SF was going to be extremely overpaid. He is a very serviceable SF.

With that said, he is not as good or as much of an impact as he's being made out to be. This past season he had a good year but I personally felt like it was a result of strong play from the Wizards as a whole. If you look at his numbers from the 4 years prior to his contract season with the Wizards, his FG percentage was 39-41% every year. His 3pt percentage was in the low 30's every year except for his first year with the Wizards where he shot 36%. Before his 2 years with the Wizards his career high 3pt percentage was 33.4%.

He is a good role player but his numbers with the Wizards were more of a product of John Wall and Beal creating for him. I'm sure Harden will have his moments where he drives and kicks to Ariza but the quality of looks aren't going to be as strong as they were in Washington. Wall and Beal created so many defensive lapses with forcing the entire back court to shift. Harden isn't doing that by himself and the Rockets don't have a passer of the caliber of Wall.

Long story short, Ariza does not suck and is a quality SF. But comparing his impact to Parsons isn't really a fair comparison.

You're missing a huge, huge component, which is why your argument is a bit flawed. Houston's entire offense is built around taking shots around the rim and at the 3-point line, which is why they took far more 3-point attempts than any other team in the league last season. Their offense essentially is essentially either Harden driving and dishing or Howard drawing a double team in the post and looking for the open perimeter shooter. That's why Ariza is such a perfect fit in Houston.

Also, since when does Washington have a better team than the Rockets? You're making it seem as if Ariza's production was the result of playing with this phenomenal basketball team the last two seasons, except that every barometer someone could use to judge an NBA basketball team shows that Houston is the superior team and the better team for 3-point shooters.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:34 AM
No my logic isn't flawed. Very few teams got as many wide open 3's as the Wizards. Like I said in my post, Wall and Beal were the drive and kick duo that were rotating defenses. Ariza was usually the result of the second pass and had absolutely no one around him. He had the most quality looks of his career last season. He even said that in interviews.

He's still going to get a ton of good looks in Houston and he will hit open 3's. But the expectations are skewed because of his 2 years playing with the Wizards. Their system naturally leaves shooters open. It's not just about kicking it out to a shooter. And I don't know why you think Houston being an overall better team has anything to do with the Wizards being a better fit for him.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Washington was 5th in team 3pt percentage. Houston was 16th in team 3pt percentage. Washington was all about quality over quantity.

alexander_37
07-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Washington was 5th in team 3pt percentage. Houston was 16th in team 3pt percentage. Washington was all about quality over quantity.

Really so with James Harden and Dwight Howard you think Ariza is going to get less open looks?

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Than he did with Washington? Yes he will probably get a little less and the quality of looks will decrease a little.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:51 AM
YouTube his 40 point game from this season to be blown away by how absolutely wide open he is on every 3 he takes.

alexander_37
07-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Than he did with Washington? Yes he will probably get a little less and the quality of looks will decrease a little.

So having Dwight in the post and arguably the best ball handling/distributing SG in the league who teams have to worry about in the iso, shooting the 3, and especially driving to the rim... That is going to decrease Ariza's open 3's ....

Are you nuts?

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Compared to having an extremely well balanced Wizards team with a far superior passer to anything the Rockets have in John Wall and an even better 3 point shooter drawing attention in Bradley Beal? Yes man, he seriously had it made in DC.

I could even argue that Nene and Gortat alone are even more of offensive weapons than Howard, let alone both of them combined.

Did you even watch a Wizards game last season before their collapse in the Indiana series?

Verbal Christ
07-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Parsons will be the biggest albatross contract in the NBA .. He couldn't be the 3rd wheel with bonafide stars in Howard and Harden, yet he's going to be the difference maker with Dirt and Chucker? Fun stuff. All the while being the highest paid player on the team? LOL yeah that will work out well.

Some people don't fully understand how the 3D system that Houston employs works so I'm not surprised they would speak out of line. Carry on.

Odominator
07-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Lmao!

BlondeBomber41
07-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Parsons will be the biggest albatross contract in the NBA .. He couldn't be the 3rd wheel with bonafide stars in Howard and Harden, yet he's going to be the difference maker with Dirt and Chucker? Fun stuff. All the while being the highest paid player on the team? LOL yeah that will work out well.

Some people don't fully understand how the 3D system that Houston employs works so I'm not surprised they would speak out of line. Carry on.

You really can't seem to understand the numbers in Dallas, can you? It's like talking to a wall. His contract number means absolutely nothing. It was allowed due to the fact that Dirk and Monta Ellis make so little, and it was necessary since he was a RFA.

It's funny that your bonafied stars couldn't get past Portland with homecourt but the Mavs pushed the eventual champs to 7 games with "Dirt and Chucker". James Harden hasn't proved he can do anything in the playoffs as the #1 option and Howard hasn't done squat in 5 years. I wouldn't talk trash about a guy who carried his team to a championship a few years ago when your #1 guy can't get past the first round.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Ellis is still considered a chucker? I mean I get the stigma that was attached to him and even I use to not like his game but he played pretty well last season and played within the offense.

Goose17
07-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Ellis is still considered a chucker? I mean I get the stigma that was attached to him and even I use to not like his game but he played pretty well last season and played within the offense.

I still consider him a chucker, but I seen enough of him as a dub fan to never want to watch the guy play again. I was in the minority of dubs fans that couldn't stand the guy.

His eFG% on jump shots is barely 40%

Bad decision maker imo.

Having Chandler will help though, not for his shooting but for his idiocy on the defensive end. Dude shoots the gap way too much, need a decent center in there to cover up his mishaps.

Mr.B
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
You really can't seem to understand the numbers in Dallas, can you? It's like talking to a wall. His contract number means absolutely nothing. It was allowed due to the fact that Dirk and Monta Ellis make so little, and it was necessary since he was a RFA.

It's funny that your bonafied stars couldn't get past Portland with homecourt but the Mavs pushed the eventual champs to 7 games with "Dirt and Chucker". James Harden hasn't proved he can do anything in the playoffs as the #1 option and Howard hasn't done squat in 5 years. I wouldn't talk trash about a guy who carried his team to a championship a few years ago when your #1 guy can't get past the first round.
Don't forget to mention that the guy that hasn't don't squat in 5 years also has had back surgery.

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 05:48 PM
No my logic isn't flawed. Very few teams got as many wide open 3's as the Wizards. Like I said in my post, Wall and Beal were the drive and kick duo that were rotating defenses. Ariza was usually the result of the second pass and had absolutely no one around him. He had the most quality looks of his career last season. He even said that in interviews.

He's still going to get a ton of good looks in Houston and he will hit open 3's. But the expectations are skewed because of his 2 years playing with the Wizards. Their system naturally leaves shooters open. It's not just about kicking it out to a shooter. And I don't know why you think Houston being an overall better team has anything to do with the Wizards being a better fit for him.

Washington shot a better percentage because they had better shooters, not because they were necessarily getting better looks. Also, Harden was on a horrendous slump to start the season last year because of injuries, which really, really hurt the Rockets' 3-point shooting percentage. I assure you that Ariza will get just as many open looks in Houston as he did in Washington. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Compared to having an extremely well balanced Wizards team with a far superior passer to anything the Rockets have in John Wall and an even better 3 point shooter drawing attention in Bradley Beal? Yes man, he seriously had it made in DC.
But Harden and Howard draw far more attention than any two players on the Wizards' team by a wide margin. There's just simply no denying that.

I could even argue that Nene and Gortat alone are even more of offensive weapons than Howard, let alone both of them combined.
This is just insane. You lost a lot of respect with this ridiculous post. Howard averages 4-5 more points per game on absolutely superior efficiency. To even suggest Nene or Gortat are better offensive players is pretty blasphemous.

Did you even watch a Wizards game last season before their collapse in the Indiana series?
I watched my fair share of Wizards games, including many of their postseason games. They were a very good team, but I don't believe Ariza will get more open 3-pointers in Washington than he did in Houston. The Rockets get PLENTY of open 3-pointers every game, but the lack of great perimeter shooters really hurt the Rockets last year. Why do you think a no-name guy like Troy Daniels played such huge minutes in the playoffs for Houston? Because they had no reliable 3-point shooters outside of Harden, Parsons and Beverley. And Harden couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the playoffs.

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 05:58 PM

I don't care if a team gets swept in a series or if they play a team to 7 games and lose on a last second shot. A loss is a loss. And Houston's series with Portland was every bit as close at the Mavericks' series with San Antonio. Plus, you're totally undervaluing the relevancy of matchups and forgetting how much that comes to play with playoff series.

But let's quit this silly bickering. Ultimately Rockets fans and Mavericks fans decide nothing. We'll know more about these two teams when they meet next season and then maybe one side will be willing to come away with bragging rights. At this point, neither team deserves jack ****.

Shareeb_omac2
07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
No you're wrong. Absolutely wrong. Howard is very limited offensively and players only respect him when he's next to the basket. Nene and Gortat can both hit a jumper away from the basket. The Wizards starting 5 was more dynamic than Harden and Howard. Like I said previously, a drive and kick usually lead to defensive rotations which then lead to another pass to a completely wide open player on the Wizards. Ariza admitted he had more open looks last year than at any point in his career. Sorry but you just don't know what you are talking about and it's apparent you are desperate to defend every aspect to your team.

I might be a Mavs fan but this little "Rocket-Mavs rivalry" means nothing to me and it has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I like to keep discussions grounded in reality and Ariza isn't going to have the impact you think he will. He is Parsons light and if you'd just show humility and admit the Rockets took a small step back this offseason I think this entire forum would back off the Rockets.

mightybosstone
07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
No you're wrong. Absolutely wrong. Howard is very limited offensively and players only respect him when he's next to the basket. Nene and Gortat can both hit a jumper away from the basket.
No sir. You're wrong. Dwight averaged more points with better offensive efficiency. Hence, he's the better scorer and the better overall offensive player. Just because you can hit a jumper does not make you a better offensive player. Would you rather have Gortat and Nene than a prime Shaq or than Blake Griffin prior to last season? I seriously doubt it. Sometimes physicality and athleticism trump the ability to hit a mid-range jumper.

The Wizards starting 5 was more dynamic than Harden and Howard. Like I said previously, a drive and kick usually lead to defensive rotations which then lead to another pass to a completely wide open player on the Wizards.
I'm aware of how basic offensive basketball works, and so do the Rockets. Which is why they take so many threes and why they were second in the league last season in points scored and scored 7 points more per game than Washington did.

Ariza admitted he had more open looks last year than at any point in his career. Sorry but you just don't know what you are talking about and it's apparent you are desperate to defend every aspect to your team.
:laugh: What? I've backed up my points with facts. You're backing up your by saying basic offensive basketball as if the Rockets have no ****ing clue how to get wide open 3-point shots. I assure you that I watched far more Rockets games than you did last season. And I assure you they got plenty of open looks. Please don't presume to know more about the team I've watched religiously for the past 20 years. I don't presume to know more about the Mavs, and you should know how disrespectful and annoying that **** can be.

I like to keep discussions grounded in reality and Ariza isn't going to have the impact you think he will.
That's your opinion. I don't necessarily think that's true at this point and if you honestly think you know 100% that to be the case, then you're wrong. Predicting sports is always a guessing game. I was sure Parsons would be a Rocket by the end of this season, and I was wrong. You're predicting Ariza won't have a significant impact and you could very well be wrong. The second you have this realization, you'll be a better sports fan and PSD poster.

He is Parsons light and if you'd just show humility and admit the Rockets took a small step back this offseason I think this entire forum would back off the Rockets.
:laugh: It's not about showing humility or not. Is Parsons a better basketball player right now than Trevor Ariza? Probably. Does he have a higher ceiling than Ariza? Definitely. But is that ceiling significantly higher and worth the extra $6 million+ that he'll make the next three seasons? Not remotely.

On paper, I think the Rockets took a slight step back this season, but I honestly don't think that step has much to do with the Parsons for Ariza swap. I loved Chandler, and I will miss him. But Houston needs more of what Ariza has to offer at SF than what Parsons has to offer, and I honestly don't think Parsons was remotely worth what he just got paid. I think the step back has come in the depth department with the loss of Lin and Asik.

But I also think the Rockets will be as good if not better than last season. They'll have had a full year of that core of starting players together and so many of their young guys (Jones, Beverley, Motiejunas and Canaan) should be better. And I honestly thought their bench totally sucked last year. So even if Canaan, D-Mo, Daniels and company are just average bench guys that will probably be an upgrade from last season.

I'll show humility when humility is deserved, and I've done it as often as anybody on this site. This is not one of those times.

NBA_Starter
07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
If it was a step back it was very tiny.

kobe4thewinbang
07-28-2014, 12:16 AM
I don't know what's funnier--Dwight's arrogance, Harden's flopping, or both of them being so upset about losing Chandler f-ing Parsons.

Ariza's Better
07-28-2014, 05:42 AM
I don't know what's funnier--Dwight's arrogance, Harden's flopping, or both of them being so upset about losing Chandler f-ing Parsons.
Yeah.....

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Dwight Howard still decent player. But stats show he left his super man cape back in Orlando.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2384/dwight-howard

Goose17
07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Dwight Howard still decent player. But stats show he left his super man cape back in Orlando.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2384/dwight-howard

Not as good as he was but still a very good player. Margins matter.

Shareeb_omac2
07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Lol people arguing Dwight's efficiency like that makes him a good offensive player. Of course his officiency looks good when all he does is dunk the ball. The threat of scoring in multiple ways can be more beneficial to a teams offense than efficiently scoring 15 points on dunks and putbacks lol. It's obvious to anyone that has ever watched basketball that Nene and Gortat are more skill offensive players than Dwight. This is such a worthless arguement cause Rocket fans are seriously delusional. You are jumping through hoops to defend every aspect of your team. It's embarrassing.

Ariza had the best looks of his career last season. It won't get better than that.

savvy1803
07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Lol people arguing Dwight's officiency like that makes him a good offensive player. Of course his officiency looks good when all he does is dunk the ball. The threat of scoring in multiple ways can be more beneficial to a teams offense than officiently scoring 15 points on dunks and putbacks lol. It's obvious to anyone that has ever watched basketball that Nene and Gortat are more skill offensive players than Dwight. This is such a worthless arguement cause Rocket fans are seriously delusional. You are jumping through hoops to defend every aspect of your team. It's embarrassing.

Ariza had the best looks of his career last season. It won't get better than that.

For many people now efficiency stats rule the day , however like any stat they seldom tell the whole story ( the Hollinger effect ) , i agree with you to an extent about Nene and Gortat and believe both have a more rounded offensive skill set then Howard .

On the defensive side of the ball i feel Howard trumps both at this time and can impact a game with his defense, i do at times struggle with the advanced stats but also realize they do provide a different avenue of player analysis that the eye test does not always provide . Now having said that , i at times struggle with them because i grew up watching the games and the players more so then the advanced stats as when i started watching they were not even available , i believe these stats do in fact have a place in the game but i also believe they can at times falsify a player's abilities .

I feel the rockets will be fine and although losing Parsons hurts , Ariza will soften the blow and his defense will be welcomed , offensively they may lose a bit and their chemistry may have taken a slight hit but that remains to be seen until the season plays out .

mightybosstone
07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Edit: Wrong thread.