PDA

View Full Version : NBA Cup for Midseason?

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
RT @GwashburnGlobe: Adam Silver said the league is considering the idea of a midseason tournament, similar to soccer. Interesting. #nba

OK, not only soccer ( in fact soccer cups ( like f.a cup in england or Kings cup in spain) work a bit different)

In most european countrys their basketballs leagues ( for example spanish league or Italian league) play a Cup tournament.

They make a break around february and march.
Choose one city as a seed.
Take there the top 8 teams on the standing at the break.
And have them play a 3 round tournament 1/4 Semifinals and final. ( march madness style, you lose the game you go away).

This tournament is highly regarded by fans , media and players. Not as high as winning the playoffs ( or the euroleage) but still makes people proud that their team wins it.

So.
Apply this to nba.

Say when teams get to the 41 games mark competition stops for a week and the best 8 records ( regardless of conference) get to play this tournament.

Like it or not?

NBA_Starter
07-15-2014, 10:07 PM
As cool as it would be the season (counting the playoffs) is long enough already.

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 10:10 PM
As cool as it would be the season (counting the playoffs) is long enough already.

mmm

lets see

22 teams would still play only 82 games ( those wich dont make the competition)

players in this teams get an extra week of rest.

4 teams would play 83 games ( eliminated in 1/4) and get an extra rest of 4 days.

2 teams would play 84 games, ( eliminated in 1/2)

2 teams would play 85 games , the winer and the runner up.

Doesnt seem too much to ask for them.
Just start the league one week earlier.

RLundi
07-15-2014, 10:15 PM
What's the point? What would be the incentive to win?

bucketss
07-15-2014, 10:20 PM
seems like a new way lebron haters can try to discredit him with (if his team loses) :laugh:

goingfor28
07-15-2014, 10:26 PM
No thanks

BirdIsTheWord
07-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Throw in some International teams and I'll think about it.

jerellh528
07-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Prefer 1 on 1 at the all star game

Houstons better
07-15-2014, 10:31 PM
No, the season is too long already.

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 10:34 PM
What's the point? What would be the incentive to win?
For players? a money reward
For teams and the league? money from tv.
For fans? another REAL trophy to hope for and brag about when won.

Cups have been played in the rest of the world for decades and ara an important title too.

kingkenny01
07-15-2014, 10:50 PM
yes, but you have to incentivize it right maybe winner get guaranteed playoff spot two tournaments a west tournament and an east tournament, idk just spit balling ideas, but you need some incentive to win or count it in there record or something

Method28
07-15-2014, 11:21 PM
As a fan I would DREAD my team playing in this tourney.

Duncan = Donkey
07-15-2014, 11:27 PM
I reckon a Pre-Season NBA cup would be better.

SPURSFAN1
07-15-2014, 11:28 PM
This is terrible. It might work for soccer teams because they have huge rosters who can put out two different game rosters and no salary cap. More games will just cause more injuries.

Hellcrooner
07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
YEAH YEAH A MAX OF 3 MORE GAMES IN A SEASON IS GOING TO KILL THE PLAYERS

:rolleyes:

xxplayerxx23
07-16-2014, 12:18 AM

It would kill pau.

Quinnsanity
07-16-2014, 12:25 AM
I'd rather see a tournament for the final playoff spot a la Bill Simmons' entertaining as hell tournament.

bleedprple&gold
07-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Don't like it. And what would the winning the cup even mean for teams and player's legacies? Now instead of just comparing how many championships a player/team won, we have to compare how many cups they won too? How much is winning a cup worth anyway? Is it worth half a championship? No need to add these marketing gimmicks, the game is fine the way it is.

Tony_Starks
07-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Sounds like a consolation prize for teams that will never ever win a championship. No thank you.

Tony_Starks
07-16-2014, 01:57 AM
I'd rather see a tournament for the final playoff spot a la Bill Simmons' entertaining as hell tournament.

Could you imagine if Philly was pulling Epic Tank: The Sequel and fooled around, won the tournament and went to the playoffs? Hinkie would be pissed!!! Lol

MickeyMgl
07-16-2014, 02:11 AM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
RT @GwashburnGlobe: Adam Silver said the league is considering the idea of a midseason tournament, similar to soccer. Interesting. #nba

OK, not only soccer ( in fact soccer cups ( like f.a cup in england or Kings cup in spain) work a bit different)

In most european countrys their basketballs leagues ( for example spanish league or Italian league) play a Cup tournament.

They make a break around february and march.
Choose one city as a seed.
Take there the top 8 teams on the standing at the break.
And have them play a 3 round tournament 1/4 Semifinals and final. ( march madness style, you lose the game you go away).

This tournament is highly regarded by fans , media and players. Not as high as winning the playoffs ( or the euroleage) but still makes people proud that their team wins it.

So.
Apply this to nba.

Say when teams get to the 41 games mark competition stops for a week and the best 8 records ( regardless of conference) get to play this tournament.

Like it or not?

ONLY if they shorten the season and/or playoffs.

MiamiBoy77
07-16-2014, 02:15 AM
what about make the bottom 8 teams play in this

MinnesotaFtw
07-16-2014, 02:19 AM
what about make the bottom 8 teams play in this winning team gets #1 pick

Leftcoast_yg
07-16-2014, 02:31 AM
winning team gets #1 pick

Haaa!! Thats what I was thinking.

FOBolous
07-16-2014, 02:34 AM
no. 82 games is strenuous enough already. if anything, the NBA should have LESS games to make each game more meaningful.

FOBolous
07-16-2014, 02:34 AM
what about make the bottom 8 teams play in this

Haaa!! Thats what I was thinking.

that actually would be awesome. the "best of the rest" award :laugh2:

FOXHOUND
07-16-2014, 02:53 AM

The only problem with that is it would further the parity gap. The bottom teams would just get worse every year until we had three tiers in the league.

Playoff Teams
Non-Playoff Teams
D-League Teams

I feel like something can be done to replace/compliment the All-Star game, it's just gotten too stale. I don't think this is it though.

sf-fanatic
07-16-2014, 04:23 AM
They should just have this in the preseason but expand it to 16 teams that want to participate or even all teams, but have to play it all in one location so can get multiple games in a day.

thenaj17
07-16-2014, 05:01 AM
It would be a better system once the playoffs start i say for the 14 Lottery teams.

Say the best 2 records regardless of conference get a bye into the 1/4 final, with the other 12 facing each other (can be seeded or drawn at random like FA Cup)

All 1 off games in 1st round, 1/4 final, Semi final and Final for a trophy. Will give fans of poor teams hope, it's better than winning nothing. When is the last time a team like the Bucks were genuinely relevant? Kareem? Jazz haven't been anywhere decent since Stockton & Malone days, Clippers never until now.

Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Bulls & Knicks would probably never embrace it but the small markets teams who have never won the Larry would grow to see this as a great chance of silverware and a small amount of pride/bragging rights

Teams that are perenially out of contention for playoffs like TWolves (likely to continue for a long stretch if/when Love goes) would have a good chance of winning something

Getting the 1st round bye might be incentive enough not to tank for all non playoffs teams who aren't genuinely awful

mike_noodles
07-16-2014, 10:25 AM
So did anybody actually follow up on reading this? One idea is to bring in international teams to compete (similar to Champions League), another idea is to have teams from other NA leagues to participate, like NBADL teams or something. Either way, another terrible idea from the heads of the NBA. I also assume that they would eliminate the all star game to help make the time for this.

LordJohn
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
I really don't understand why you'd do this. The playoffs are the playoffs. These would essentially be exhibition games right in the middle of the season. All Star weekend is much more entertaining than this would be.

ThuglifeJ
07-16-2014, 12:57 PM
seems like a new way lebron haters can try to discredit him with (if his team loses) :laugh:

Petty.

ThuglifeJ
07-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I ****ing love it! Love Silver so far

Cut down 20 games for the season, add a tournament all team entry...so more like march madness...maybe we can cut down first round of playoffs games too.

If the players endorsed it, it would grow. 5 years from now it'd be just a step below the finals and then you'd have the whole 'won tournament AND finals'

Maybe a tournament win makes a tiebreaker for spots too or something

adidas2307
07-16-2014, 01:29 PM
I like the idea if it's done correctly. Instead of having a break in the middle of the year, you would just throw in the tournament games within the regular schedule. Teams have three day and even four day rests sometimes so there is time to place it in the schedule. It wouldn't be the end of the world if teams had to reschedule some of their games if they keep advancing. At most, you'd have teams playing five extra games but if this tournament turns out quite prestigious I'm sure teams such as the Kings, Bucks, Wolves, etc. wouldn't mind those five extra games for some hardware.

Also I know it would never work because of the draft system in the NBA but I would like to see a relegation/promotion system for basketball here. Essentially, the two worst teams, one eastern conference and one western conference get "relegated" into the DLeague and the two top teams from the DLeague get "promoted" to the NBA. This way, it avoids teams from embarrassingly tanking the whole season. However, like I said, the system isn't right for it to work here. It's easier in soccer leagues since teams just purchase their players from wherever and don't have to go through a draft.

Jenceman
07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I like it. Soccer is better than the NBA anyways
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

MrfadeawayJB
07-16-2014, 02:26 PM

It would kill pau.

I :laugh2: at this

Bramaca
07-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I definetely like the idea as a replacement for the all-star game and a longer break for the majority of the players. The all-star game and it's other events have the same entertainment value as the bad forced jokes presenters do on awards shows IMO.

Do think the season would have to be shorter though. Which I think it should be anyways. Would also like to see it combined with vertical divisions also.

SILVER SEAVER
07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Silver just needs to stop. Guys already play half hearted when it comes to games 67-82, they don't need to have some cup tournament where guys can win in the middle and play like scrubs at the end because in their mind they already won the cup. All-Star games are bad enough but now this obvious money driven idea?

Pablonovi
07-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Thread-full thoughts:
1) Please don't shorten the NBA season - these off-seasons almost put me in a depression.
2) Mid-Season "Cup" - intriguing idea - I like it.
3) Non-NBA Teams Included - even, much, better (but don't invite the Spanish National Team *) hehe
4) Relegating the two last-place teams down to D-League (and "vice-versa") = absolutely brilliant. This would fix tanking like nothing else ever could.

* Can't have the same (and "outsiders" no less) winning every time!

Pablonovi
07-16-2014, 05:24 PM
As a promotional "gimmick" what could beat this???
The international appeal of the NBA would go thru the roof!
The number of kids playing would reach "100%".
The level of competition in every country of the world would be amazing and delightful.
The "Euro" wave would be followed by: "Asian" and "African" waves; even "down-under-ers!"

The MONEY would be (even way more) obscene!

Pablonovi
07-16-2014, 05:34 PM

Hey Starter,
I'm pretty disappointed in you right about now! hehe
Didn't we just "glory" together in the Play-Offs? Didn't they, especially the Finals seem far too ...
Short!?!

Aren't you going thru months-long withdrawals, grasping at anything (even draft and S&T trade rumors)?

More Ball Is Good Ball!

Do It Silver! Don't Get Sterned!

Bramaca
07-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Thread-full thoughts:
1) Please don't shorten the NBA season - these off-seasons almost put me in a depression.
2) Mid-Season "Cup" - intriguing idea - I like it.
3) Non-NBA Teams Included - even, much, better (but don't invite the Spanish National Team *) hehe
4) Relegating the two last-place teams down to D-League (and "vice-versa") = absolutely brilliant. This would fix tanking like nothing else ever could.

* Can't have the same (and "outsiders" no less) winning every time!

Rather take less games if it means higher quality basketball and more meaningful games. Large chunks of the regular season come across more like an exhibition game.

Cal827
07-16-2014, 06:05 PM
This would be a pretty good idea to go to international markets like Europe and Asia to spread the game a little bit.

....But, I think there's just too much risk for an injury.

I would assume that the games here would be competitive like in an NBA season. What happens if Lebron or Durant, badly hurt themselves in the toruney? You wouldn't hear the end of it from the team that lost their star player.

In hockey, they are considering not allowing guys to go the Winter Olympics, as John Tavares (a top 10 player in the NHL) tore his MCL when Canada played Austria.

I think the best they could do would be just to host the all-star game in other places than just the US/Canada. Easy going (so risk of injury is significantly lower), and the stars of the league are introduced to other markets.

SILVER SEAVER
07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Let's just worry about getting American born NBA players to play with heart for 82 games, not make a tournament so a fire can lit under their butts. They're getting paid handsomely and have the ultimate prize awaiting in June.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-16-2014, 06:22 PM

What is this idea? Are you saying like a March Madness style tourney (one and done) for the 8-15 seeds of each conference and the winner from each conference gets the 8th seed and final playoff spot for their conference?

Because that would be an amazingly awesome idea.

SILVER SEAVER
07-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Why don't they just have an N.I.T. type tournament when the other playoffs are going on with the teams who didn't make the playoffs and the winner gets the number one pick while they're at it. Make those fools earn the number one pick for a change.

Lo Porto
07-17-2014, 12:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24623552/adam-silver-says-league-exploring-in-season-tournament

I'm surprised there's no thread about this yet. As a fan of soccer (don't bash me bball people because I can see value in both), I think this tourney has a ton of potential. In Europe, soccer leagues have their season and they also have a "domestic cup". The season determines the title winner, but the tournament is something on the side that has always been competed over. I've always liked the tournaments for a few reasons:

- it gives hope to those teams that know they aren't title contenders
- young guys usually get featured so fans get excited about player development and the future
- it creates breaks for those who need rest during season play

We all know that money will be the driving factor. However, I do think that there would be some value to a midseason tournament. Many people complain that the season is too long anyway so shorten it to 70 games and throw this little single elimination tourney in there to get some of that "March Madness" type buzz before the NCAA tourney begins.

FlashBolt
07-17-2014, 12:25 PM
No thank you. I know there are some idiot of NBA players who will probably rather win this meaningless tournament over the ring. It's good for the fans to enjoy and be entertained but I feel they'll feel less compelled to compete for the ring.

adidas2307
07-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Well, there actually already is a thread on this... http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870980-NBA-Cup-for-Midseason

But like I said in the other thread-
I like the idea if it's done correctly. Instead of having a break in the middle of the year, you would just throw in the tournament games within the regular schedule. Teams have three day and even four day rests sometimes so there is time to place it in the schedule. It wouldn't be the end of the world if teams had to reschedule some of their games if they keep advancing. At most, you'd have teams playing five extra games but if this tournament turns out quite prestigious I'm sure teams such as the Kings, Bucks, Wolves, etc. wouldn't mind those five extra games for some hardware.

Also I know it would never work because of the draft system in the NBA but I would like to see a relegation/promotion system for basketball here. Essentially, the two worst teams, one eastern conference and one western conference get "relegated" into the DLeague and the two top teams from the DLeague get "promoted" to the NBA. This way, it avoids teams from embarrassingly tanking the whole season. However, like I said, the system isn't right for it to work here. It's easier in soccer leagues since teams just purchase their players from wherever and don't have to go through a draft.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870980-NBA-Cup-for-Midseason

kobe4thewinbang
07-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I am opposed to the idea, as I don't see it having purpose.

knicksfan1794
07-17-2014, 12:33 PM
For players? a money reward
For teams and the league? money from tv.
For fans? another REAL trophy to hope for and brag about when won.

Cups have been played in the rest of the world for decades and ara an important title too.

The reason it works in soccer is because the winning team in said tournament gets prize money, which is often used to improve their team when the transfer market comes.
the owners like this bc they can improve their team, without spending their own money.

The fans like this bc the team can improve more from how they do, plus you get to see how your team fairs against teams you don't usually play.

Plus these cups have been going on for a very long time so its a part of the soccer culture whereas in the NBA it would be seen as a joke bc who cares about this meaningless cup

Lo Porto
07-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, there actually already is a thread on this... http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870980-NBA-Cup-for-Midseason

But like I said in the other thread-

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?870980-NBA-Cup-for-Midseason

Didn't see it. My apologies.

FlashBolt
07-17-2014, 12:35 PM
I am opposed to the idea, as I don't see it having purpose.

They want to generate more money and interest seeing as how the World Cup is so successful? It is a good idea and huge props to Silver for at least being innovative but I feel it would be a second place type of trophy and players would start chucking up random shots as if their in Rucker's park.

Lo Porto
07-17-2014, 12:39 PM
The idea is brilliant. Why?

- young players will play more in this tournament. Everybody wants to see more of their young players
- veterans will get much needed midseason rest
- it's another opportunity to reach fans that the NBA isn't reaching. So many college fans hate the NBA.
- money - this will raise tons of money. When the NBA makes more money it can spend it to better the brand
- refresh fan bases who have no hope after starting off so terribly. Give hope, create new buzz, etc.
- it will never replace the NBA Finals. Winning this will not compare to winning the title, but it would be something.

Really, there is not much to lose by doing this tournament. You could take one week out of the season and make the season 80 games instead of 82. The reward so much outweighs the risk.

Lo Porto
07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
They want to generate more money and interest seeing as how the World Cup is so successful? It is a good idea and huge props to Silver for at least being innovative but I feel it would be a second place type of trophy and players would start chucking up random shots as if their in Rucker's park.

There are so many "2nd place trophies" that are celebrated already in the American sports culture. Think about it - college basketball teams that win their conference regular season and conference tournaments celebrate those titles. NCAA schools celebrate winning the conference championship game in football. Many of the smaller sports have "meets" where they win that specific weekend but that doesn't mean they win the overall title.

I don't see what's wrong with it. If they could branch out and play these games in non-NBA cities (Vegas, Seattle, Kansas City, Birmingham, Louisville, etc.), the NBA could really expand the brand.

Master Mind
07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
I like the idea of adopting the d league playoff format :shrug:

ArmLaker
07-17-2014, 01:17 PM
As a Liverpool FC supporter I would definitely love to see a cup competition added to the NBA to spice it up a bit.

I don't think a few extra games are going to break down the players mainly because basketball, unlike football includes multiple substitutions and stoppages as well as the actual game minutes are a lot less.

Or create a tournament similar to the UEFA Champions League where the top 2 or 3 clubs from the top leagues qualify to let's say a 16 team tournament.

BigDFan85
07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
What a lot of you seem to not understand is that the playoffs are our version of a "Domestic Cup." In European soccer the league championship is the team with the best record at the end of the season. They don't have playoffs like we do. The top few teams in the league do go on to play in the Champions league, but that is the following season and encompasses teams from virtually every top league in Europe. Their Domestic Cups afford every team a chance to win, and it is played over the course of the whole season.

So if the NBA were to do this, it would pretty much be the NBA and the NBADL, since college players would probably not be able to play in the Cup due to amateur status and the NCAA sucking. Europe is also set up very differently than the NBA is here. I think it'd be interesting to explore, but if you choose to do the domestic cup then you would need to get rid of the playoffs, or else there would be no point to a Domestic Cup.

Hellcrooner
07-17-2014, 01:32 PM
What a lot of you seem to not understand is that the playoffs are our version of a "Domestic Cup." In European soccer the league championship is the team with the best record at the end of the season. They don't have playoffs like we do. The top few teams in the league do go on to play in the Champions league, but that is the following season and encompasses teams from virtually every top league in Europe. Their Domestic Cups afford every team a chance to win, and it is played over the course of the whole season.

So if the NBA were to do this, it would pretty much be the NBA and the NBADL, since college players would probably not be able to play in the Cup due to amateur status and the NCAA sucking. Europe is also set up very differently than the NBA is here. I think it'd be interesting to explore, but if you choose to do the domestic cup then you would need to get rid of the playoffs, or else there would be no point to a Domestic Cup.

what you dont get is that Cups are played in the rest of the world not only in soccer but also in the rest of the sports handball, hockey, ice hockey, rugby INCLUDING BAKSKEBALL

the typical season for an european baskebtball club inlcudes THREE diferente competitions

Country league: with regular season AND PLAYOFFS
Country CUp
European competition ( euroleague or uleb) : if they have finished in a top position the previous season.

NYKalltheway
07-17-2014, 01:50 PM
The reason it works in soccer is because the winning team in said tournament gets prize money, which is often used to improve their team when the transfer market comes.
the owners like this bc they can improve their team, without spending their own money.

The fans like this bc the team can improve more from how they do, plus you get to see how your team fairs against teams you don't usually play.

Plus these cups have been going on for a very long time so its a part of the soccer culture whereas in the NBA it would be seen as a joke bc who cares about this meaningless cup

It's not about the prize money. There's none in most countries anyway. It's about winning a title. And qualifying for continental cups. The first reason can apply anywhere in the world, including the top American basketball setup.

And as Crooner said, this applies to all sports in almost every country. European, Latin American, Asian, African... you're the odd one out I'm afraid.

ArmLaker
07-17-2014, 01:52 PM

It's perfectly understandable however euro basketball uses the same format I just mentioned, or at least similar to it.

You have the league title (regular season and playoffs), the domestic cup (ie the FA cup in the EPL) and maybe you can add an international world club competition that mirrors the Champions League. Use the FIBA league rankings coefficients to decide the top leagues and the alloted numbers of clubs that can qualify based on the previous season of play.

Pros definitely outweigh the cons in this scenario. It can provide extra roster spots and plenty of minutes for younger and inexperienced players. Then there are cash bonuses and other incentives involved in these competitions and could possibly propel the sport of basketball to the undisputed 2nd sport of the world.

kobe4thewinbang
07-17-2014, 02:03 PM
They want to generate more money and interest seeing as how the World Cup is so successful? It is a good idea and huge props to Silver for at least being innovative but I feel it would be a second place type of trophy and players would start chucking up random shots as if their in Rucker's park.I mean, hey, the NBA is a business. They want to make more money, and it could be neat. But the players already do 82 games, ASW and the playoffs. Maybe they could make it a summer tournament in Vegas, but I agree--I don't think it would be that serious competition-wise and likely turn into pickup style basketball, in which the Clippers would likely obliterate everyone. Maybe what the NBA should do is simply revise the All Star Weekend.

sep11ie
07-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Crooner, you have become surprisingly understandable.

knicksfan1794
07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
It's not about the prize money. There's none in most countries anyway. It's about winning a title. And qualifying for continental cups. The first reason can apply anywhere in the world, including the top American basketball setup.

And as Crooner said, this applies to all sports in almost every country. European, Latin American, Asian, African... you're the odd one out I'm afraid.

I did forget about about the qualifying for other cups part. (although they do get prize money after all it is a business.)
i'm sorry but that kind of proves why it would not work in the NBA
what would the winner get other than some dumb trophy that ultimately means nothing for your team?

you are just adding more games to the schedule while delaying the normal NBA schedule for a pointless tournament.

In every other country sports are run differently.
they have a promotion/demotion, which makes for different tiers of professional leagues in said country which is why a domestic cup makes sense.
Now i used soccer as my example bc i at least have some knowledge (since i am a qpr fan) where i don't know much about the other sports but i'm pretty sure it is run pretty similar.

In England for example they have an F.A Cup which all 6 tiers of the football league in England complete in the Cup, the top 2 tiers join in on the later rounds. The winner of the F.A Cup qualifies for the next years Europa League.

I just don't see how a domestic cup fits into the NBA i'm sorry

try and justify it

MiamiBoy77
07-17-2014, 03:24 PM
It would be a better system once the playoffs start i say for the 14 Lottery teams.

Say the best 2 records regardless of conference get a bye into the 1/4 final, with the other 12 facing each other (can be seeded or drawn at random like FA Cup)

All 1 off games in 1st round, 1/4 final, Semi final and Final for a trophy. Will give fans of poor teams hope, it's better than winning nothing. When is the last time a team like the Bucks were genuinely relevant? Kareem? Jazz haven't been anywhere decent since Stockton & Malone days, Clippers never until now.

Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Bulls & Knicks would probably never embrace it but the small markets teams who have never won the Larry would grow to see this as a great chance of silverware and a small amount of pride/bragging rights

Teams that are perenially out of contention for playoffs like TWolves (likely to continue for a long stretch if/when Love goes) would have a good chance of winning something

Getting the 1st round bye might be incentive enough not to tank for all non playoffs teams who aren't genuinely awful

I actually like this. It would stop tanking completely because you'd need to win a tourney for the #1 pick.

JustinTime
07-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Prefer 1 on 1 at the all star game

Lebron would never have the balls to enter though.

Ty Fast
07-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Sounds dumb

GottaLoveCubs
07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
I think this is an interesting idea. For those to immediately throw it out just because its something different is dumb.
The way I would do it is the 8 teams would have to be chosen the year before. Top 8 teams, maybe fan voting? But then you put them into the tournament and play all the way down to 8th place. That way every team in the tournament plays 3 games, and you just count those as regular season games. So they would play 79+ the tournament and the other teams would just play 82. That way other teams aren't playing more, it can still count towards the records.
The reward would have to be something decent for it to be worth it to a lot of teams. I think the Bulls and Thibs would kill this thing every year though. No one plays his guys harder for meaningless wins like Thibs.