PDA

View Full Version : Dirk re-signs for 3/25m

Thumper 88
07-15-2014, 04:33 PM
I mean wow! He is making peanuts compared to what he should be making..

Dirk Nowitzki is no longer unemployed. Deal with Mavs is officially done. Per @ESPNSteinLine, it's actually $25M over 3 years (Monta $).

Dirk is going to heaven

hugepatsfan
07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Daaaaaaaaamn. Gotta respect that.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2014, 04:36 PM
And there are people rubbing one out to pictures of Wade because his old *** took $17 mil per instead of $21 mil. :laugh:

goingfor28
07-15-2014, 04:37 PM
What a fkn steal. But wait....He's old and Parsons and chandler suck and Monta too :rolleyes:

Oh

Great signing! Way to go dirk!

ManRam
07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah, 8ish a year is pretty solid. Still, he'll be 36, 37 and 38 years-old during this contract. There's gonna be some eventual regression. Without a doubt he'll be worth way more than $8M this next year, but only time will tell about 37 and 38. It's certainly likely to still be a bargain. But there is some risk here, for sure. Not a ton, but some.

Pretty similar to the Duncan contract he signed at a nearly identical age. 3 years, 30 million.

Thumper 88
07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I would marry Dirk

KnicksorBust
07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Cuban is definitely hooking him up under the table. He's got some Magic/LA deal going on. If he went all-out FA mode he could have gotten about $70 million more in guaranteed money.

Thumper 88
07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah, 8ish a year is pretty solid. Still, he'll be 36, 37 and 38 years-old during this contract. There's gonna be some eventual regression. Without a doubt he'll be worth way more than $8M this next year, but only time will tell about 37 and 38. It's certainly likely to still be a bargain. But there is some risk here, for sure. Not a ton, but some.

Pretty similar to the Duncan contract he signed at a nearly identical age. 3 years, 30 million.

5m less.. He's trying to one up him lol

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
I thought it was supposed to be 3 yr 30M initially. Looks like he took a 5M pay cut on top of that.

I really hope there is a lockout next time around and the players stand their ground. Owners should not be rewarded for this garbage.

Redrum187
07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
I am shocked that Dirk Nowitzki would take this little. One of the few players who actually cares about team success more than about money. Then again, I guess it's easier to not care so much about money when you've made over a hundred million dollars with the Mavericks.

In the other thread, people were saying how Wade is the most loyal guy in the NBA... I think Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Duncan, with the slight edge going to Dirk. Not only is he taking less money, but to my knowledge, Dirk has never even courted/visited other teams during FA (Duncan has with Orlando in the past).

Dirk and Duncan are 2 of my favorite players, and even though I can never be loyal to a team (only fans of their players), how do you not love/respect his sacrifice?

Aust
07-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Cuban was "making it worth his while" via other means.

Redrum187
07-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I have no idea what the hell Wade is doing taking $15 mil/year at this point. If "team loyalty" is a premium for NBA fans, Dirk makes Wade look pretty bad.

gatkins11
07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
And there are people rubbing one out to pictures of Wade because his old *** took $17 mil per instead of $21 mil. :laugh:

:laugh2:

Thumper 88
07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Cuban was "making it worth his while" via other means.

Like what? What favors did Tim Ducan get for his pay cut?

Please tell us

Vinny642
07-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Jordan Hill makes more than him lol

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 04:54 PM
so, he is having in 3 seasons the same money that kobe in 1 season :laugh:

Dirk has realized if he wants another ring he needs to leave money to Mavs to work under the salary cap to add more help.

They will probably go for Rondo or Marc Gasol next year.

So.

Pau 7 million a years
Dirk 8 million a year
TIm 9 million a year.

I wonder if Bosh is going to produce 3 times better tan those 3 to justiy his 20+ m contract.

SportsFanatic10
07-15-2014, 05:04 PM
I have no idea what the hell Wade is doing taking $15 mil/year at this point. If "team loyalty" is a premium for NBA fans, Dirk makes Wade look pretty bad.

it's pretty simple really...bosh took the max so they weren't gonna have much space anyways so wade might as well take what he can once he knew haslem and everyone else would be taken care of. if bosh had taken a pay cut wade would of taken a bigger one in my opinion. and it's not like he's making up the money in future years as he only signed a 2 year deal in order for the heat to have room for the 2016 free agency. and the 2nd year is a player option so who's to say he doesn't opt out of that and take less next year depending on many factors. dirk took a very team friendly deal, but he doesn't have another player on the team making max who doesn't deserve it, and he doesn't make wade look bad lol. everyone was calling wade stupid for opting out of the 2/42 remaining on his deal, and now he looks bad for taking less and not handcuffing the heat long term lol please.

Mr.B
07-15-2014, 05:06 PM

This basically gives the Mavs a 3 year window to make another run at a title. At the end of the 3 years Dirk would have the option of retiring or moving in to a 6th man role with the Mavs. There will definitely be some decline in his game due to age however since his game has never been based on athleticism and had always been below the rim I wouldn't expect the decline to be drastic.

KnicksorBust
07-15-2014, 05:09 PM
so, he is having in 3 seasons the same money that kobe in 1 season :laugh:

Dirk has realized if he wants another ring he needs to leave money to Mavs to work under the salary cap to add more help.

They will probably go for Rondo or Marc Gasol next year.

So.

Pau 7 million a years
Dirk 8 million a year
TIm 9 million a year.

I wonder if Bosh is going to produce 3 times better tan those 3 to justiy his 20+ m contract.

Bosh is also 6-7 years younger than those players. They weren't taking these paycuts in their primes.

Aust
07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Like what? What favors did Tim Ducan get for his pay cut?

Please tell us

You act as if I know some secret. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if an owner found another way to compensate a player. Do I have any evidence? Nope. For all I know Dirk could be doing the ultimate team move and props to him if that is the real reason.

Redrum187
07-15-2014, 05:13 PM
it's pretty simple really...bosh took the max so they weren't gonna have much space anyways so wade might as well take what he can once he knew haslem and everyone else would be taken care of. if bosh had taken a pay cut wade would of taken a bigger one in my opinion. and it's not like he's making up the money in future years as he only signed a 2 year deal in order for the heat to have room for the 2016 free agency. and the 2nd year is a player option so who's to say he doesn't opt out of that and take less next year depending on many factors. dirk took a very team friendly deal, but he doesn't have another player on the team making max who doesn't deserve it, and he doesn't make wade look bad lol. everyone was calling wade stupid for opting out of the 2/42 remaining on his deal, and now he looks bad for taking less and not handcuffing the heat long term lol please.

Most people think it was a dumb decision to opt out, taking slightly less this season and next season won't do very much for the Heat in terms of bringing in new FA. He thought the "big 3" would come back and was willing to take less in order to get some talent (admirable in my opinion).

Best for Wade: never opt out of his insane remaining contract if he was going to end up commanding $15-$17 million/year anyways...

Best for Heat: a few million less than his other contract??? I would think 8-10 million per year would be more than generous by the Heat organization.

The reason people say these two things that aren't really contradicting is that one can understand if he took a pay cut to add talent to the Heat, but a few million dollar pay cut won't do anything if you're in or near the luxury to begin with. It's similar to Carmelo Anthony... max of 5/$129, "I'll give my team a discount, only 5/$122 million". I guess you could potentially give someone the mini MLE? :o

Mr.B
07-15-2014, 05:14 PM
I am shocked that Dirk Nowitzki would take this little. One of the few players who actually cares about team success more than about money. Then again, I guess it's easier to not care so much about money when you've made over a hundred million dollars with the Mavericks.

In the other thread, people were saying how Wade is the most loyal guy in the NBA... I think Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Duncan, with the slight edge going to Dirk. Not only is he taking less money, but to my knowledge, Dirk has never even courted/visited other teams during FA (Duncan has with Orlando in the past).

Dirk and Duncan are 2 of my favorite players, and even though I can never be loyal to a team (only fans of their players), how do you not love/respect his sacrifice?

At this point in his career money is not a huge motivation for Dirk. He's actually made well over $200 mil in his career. Nelson was joking on the radio yesterday that he probably still has all of it too because everyone knows he never spends any money. He doesn't have a huge mansion and believe it or not, he only has 1 car. His wife also comes from "old money". If he went to Cuban and told him he wanted a max deal (even at his age) Cuban would have the check written before Dirk could finish getting the words out. It's just great to see a pro athlete that really does value winning over money. That is extremely rare in today's world.

Ebbs
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
My lord what a boss

nycericanguy
07-15-2014, 05:30 PM
The moment you realize Chandler Parsons & Tyson Chandler make double what your franchise player makes...

awkward...

lincecum=future
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Another reason to love this guy

Leftcoast_yg
07-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Another reason to make love to this guy

Fixed!! ;)

NBA_Starter
07-15-2014, 06:35 PM
I thought they had to match the max that Houston offered?

Mr.B
07-15-2014, 06:53 PM

Nope, because he was UFA not RFA.

Here is another interesting tidbit about Dirk. He has never had an agent his entire career. He has always negotiated his own contracts and has made the 5th most money in NBA history.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Here is another interesting tidbit about Dirk. He has never had an agent his entire career. He has always negotiated his own contracts and has made the 5th most money in NBA history.

What a stud

ice_c
07-15-2014, 07:12 PM
This is what happens when you have a positive team culture. The heat have it, the mavericks have it. Portland is building a positive team culture also. OKC and SAS have it.

Human relationships come first.

NBA_Starter
07-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanks, what a boss!

Thumper 88
07-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Dirk is the man!!

JEDean89
07-15-2014, 08:56 PM
monta
marion
parsons
dirk
chandler

could be a better starting 5 than their chip team.

IversonIsKrazy
07-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Amazing. And to think that Rockets and Lakers I believe offered him a MAX contract. Think abt all the $$$$$$ he left on the table to stay w/Mavs and keep them competitive. Awsome.

WVNowitzki
07-15-2014, 09:19 PM
monta
marion
parsons
dirk
chandler

could be a better starting 5 than their chip team.

Not even close, Marion isn't signed, probably won't be and in what universe is he playing the 2?

It's going to be

Harris / Felton
Ellis
Parsons
Dirk
Chandler

LOOTERX9
07-15-2014, 09:23 PM
dirk is a dumb@ss. people like him bring player contract values down when they accept way less than what the market is offering. smfh

Thumper 88
07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
dirk is a dumb@ss. people like him bring player contract values down when they accept way less than what the market is offering. smfh

:laugh:

Ok

SPURSFAN1
07-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Can't even respond to this.

NBA_Starter
07-15-2014, 10:05 PM
That was pretty low.

raiderfaninTX
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
You act as if I know some secret. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if an owner found another way to compensate a player. Do I have any evidence? Nope. For all I know Dirk could be doing the ultimate team move and props to him if that is the real reason.

Your right though, mark Cuban is the smartest owner in the league IMO he is paying him under the table, promising him a front office job, giving him part ownership when it's over for him, or promised him a big *** check when he retires.

Mark Cuban cries when he talks about Dirk so to me it's obvious they have another agreement, which is awesome in my book.

ricky recon
07-15-2014, 11:27 PM
He apparently turned down max deals with the Lakers and Rockets to stay in Dallas at a fraction of the price. What a champ.

ice_c
07-15-2014, 11:49 PM
I like how the mavericks' lineup is shaping up. I think they've improved over last season. All they have to do is minimize felton's role, by any means necessary.

BTW, is there any credible evidence that the rockets offered dirk a max deal? I've read rumors of this, but no news outlet that I'm aware reported of such a story.

ricky recon
07-15-2014, 11:57 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/15/5902599/dirk-nowitzki-los-angeles-lakers-houston-rockets-max-contract

Reported by Marc Stein, probably the top NBA guy in the DFW area, that he turned down max deal from Houston and L.A.

Reported by Sefko and a bunch of other people as well.

DemarDerozan
07-16-2014, 12:20 AM
What a fkn steal. But wait....He's old and Parsons and chandler suck and Monta too :rolleyes:

Oh

Great signing! Way to go dirk!

This seems somewhat incomprehensible. As Chandler was the second best player on the Mavs team that beat the late but not that great Miami cHeat.

Monta was a beast in the playoffs this year and came close to shutting down the eventual champs.

Parsons is one of the best young SFs in the league.

Have you seen any NBA games in the past year Brah?

goingfor28
07-16-2014, 12:21 AM
This seems somewhat incomprehensible. As Chandler was the second best player on the Mavs team that beat the late but not that great Miami cHeat.

Monta was a beast in the playoffs this year and came close to shutting down the eventual champs.

Chandler is one of the best young SFs in the league.

Have you seen any NBA games in the past year Brah?
Sarcasm lol. I really like what Dallas has done. I'm just mocking the rocket fans and everything they have been saying

DemarDerozan
07-16-2014, 12:22 AM
DColli
Monta
Parsons
Dirk
Chandler

They are one or two pieces short of being as good as the 10-11 team.
Plus their owner spends $$$ to get better. If they get reinforce the bench they might be a contender.

DemarDerozan
07-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Sarcasm lol. I really like what Dallas has done. I'm just mocking the rocket fans and everything they have been saying

Nice dude... Sorry bro. I didn't realize that. Lol. Cheers.

ricky recon
07-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Darren Collison is not a Maverick. He is a King. Before that he was a Clipper.

SportsFanatic10
07-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Most people think it was a dumb decision to opt out, taking slightly less this season and next season won't do very much for the Heat in terms of bringing in new FA. He thought the "big 3" would come back and was willing to take less in order to get some talent (admirable in my opinion).

Best for Wade: never opt out of his insane remaining contract if he was going to end up commanding $15-$17 million/year anyways...

Best for Heat: a few million less than his other contract??? I would think 8-10 million per year would be more than generous by the Heat organization.

The reason people say these two things that aren't really contradicting is that one can understand if he took a pay cut to add talent to the Heat, but a few million dollar pay cut won't do anything if you're in or near the luxury to begin with. It's similar to Carmelo Anthony... max of 5/$129, "I'll give my team a discount, only 5/$122 million". I guess you could potentially give someone the mini MLE? :o

8 to 10 mill is more than generous for the heat's organization? haha what? that might be about his on court worth these days, but miami owes wade alot. wade opting out of a huge contract only to get a lowball offer like that would of been very disrespectful. the heat take care of their own.

wade still took an 11 million dollar paycut over 2 years, and could potentially opt out after this season and take a bigger one who knows. his money did help, it wouldn't of been possible to sign deng without wade opting out, and the rest of the savings went to greedy bosh. none the less, he could of taken a bigger paycut and more years to make it up for security, but that would of hancuffed the heats future flexibility, specifically in 2016 when they're clearly planning to make a run at some big free agents, with only bosh and mcroberts on the books then.

dirks the man though, what a deal he gave dallas!

DillyDill
07-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Fixed!! ;)

Lol funny stuff. But Dirk had a gr8 heart and I can't believe he negotiates his own contracts that's incredible!!!

True Sports Fan
07-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Gotta love Dirk.

Mr.B
07-16-2014, 01:28 AM
8 to 10 mill is more than generous for the heat's organization? haha what? that might be about his on court worth these days, but miami owes wade alot. wade opting out of a huge contract only to get a lowball offer like that would of been very disrespectful. the heat take care of their own.

wade still took an 11 million dollar paycut over 2 years, and could potentially opt out after this season and take a bigger one who knows. his money did help, it wouldn't of been possible to sign deng without wade opting out, and the rest of the savings went to greedy bosh. none the less, he could of taken a bigger paycut and more years to make it up for security, but that would of hancuffed the heats future flexibility, specifically in 2016 when they're clearly planning to make a run at some big free agents, with only bosh and mcroberts on the books then.

I personally don't blame the Heat for giving Wade that contract (or Bosh either). They both were key for bringing Miami two titles. Those guys earned that money and if that's what they wanted Miami showed a lot of loyalty giving it to them. Honestly if Dirk walked into Cuban's office and told him he wanted a max contract Cuban would have given it to him without question.

Redrum187
07-16-2014, 02:11 AM

I don't believe in a player "owing" anything to any organization or an organization "owing" anything to a player (other than players should play their hardest every time they are out on the floor to live up to their contract). This is one of the reasons I am not a fan of teams, but of the players.

Just because people feel Wade is "owed" more than his skill set dictates for past accomplishments/achieves/"discounts", doesn't mean the team should have to sacrifice NOW to give him $17 million per year when he's worth half of that.

THESE LOYALTIES ARE NOT LOYALTIES IF SOMETHING IS EXPECTED. We take care of those we love without asking for anything in return. This is not the case in this scenario. If the Heat want to "take care of their player" that is one thing, somewhat respectable, but not ideal for their CURRENT situation (not going to be nearly as good as they were the last few years). But nothing is owed to him.

Dirk, on the other hand, took a huge pay cut, not because his market value is low (he could get the max), but because he wants his team to succeed. If Dirk suddenly sucked last season and only averaged 5 pppg, 5 reb, 1 ast in 36 minutes of playing time, and then the Dallas Mavericks offered him a 5 year $129 million dollar max because they "owe" him that for all the things he's done for the city of Dallas and the Mavericks organization, that would be considered okay by your standards? Screw the past when it comes to present and future team success. If one sacrifices, no strings attached and don't let it penalize you presently and in the future.

Another example, probably more real and possible: The Dallas Mavericks don't owe Dirk Nowitzki a statue when he retires. I would respect and love the idea of a statue of Dirk in front of the AAC. That would be respectful and showing their love and appreciation for Dirk.. but it is in no way shape or form "OWED" to him. Similarly, the Heat don't "owe" Wade 2x his worth for playing 2/3 of the season.

AnthonyTyrael2
07-16-2014, 02:46 AM
Lol funny stuff. But Dirk had a gr8 heart and I can't believe he negotiates his own contracts that's incredible!!!

Dirk's just a classy guy, a millionaire one, anyways but still it's "his" money that he left on the table.

We got some good guys on the roster, lost some others and it's stilla long way to be relevant. Don't let yourself get blinded by the Spurs series. Memphis, Phoenix, Houston and others... that's our real benchmark and you don't know yet how things will pan out this upcomming season. Still lots of questionsmarks.

This myth him being his own agent isn't true at all. In his book, it's said that his sister used to negotiate his contracts. Still it's safe to say that Dirk had at least ;-) "something" to say about it too and that they both did it together. I dunno how it's nowadays though. I don't think she's still his manager. His relationship to Cuban isn't all too complicated anyways, so I think he just shows up, says a number and might be getting it. Cuban might have asked for another 2 millions less as dsicount and he got it. Don't think it's a big deal for neither of both. And as speculated, NBA is business, you never know what sort of other channels exist to gain money, unofficially. Now or after a career. Not saying this is the case here but you never know.

Back to the managment thing. Him and his sister, it was a family thing yeah but I don't belive that they did it without an advocate. Dirk is good hearted but no fool. Especially not in younger years, right after his rookie contract went out, when some guys could easily have taken advantage of this (heart) and the fact that he's a non nativ speaker. Donnie, Cuban wouldn't do it, I guess but others in this league might have tried.

I'm not mad a Vince Carter, I understand NBA as business too but he could have stayed a little more patient to get now the contract and "appreciation" that he had asked for. He'lll have fun in memphis but it was utterly wrong not to retire in a Mavs or Raptors uniform. Especially after getting some of his reputation back during his tenure with our franchise. Wishing you all the best though.

P&GRealist
07-16-2014, 03:00 AM
Darren Collison is not a Maverick. He is a King. Before that he was a Clipper.

Ya, he's the quintessential journeyman.

NOLA --> INDY --> DAL --> LAC --> SAC

This will be his 6th season and 5th team already. No bueno.

The next MATT BARNES!!!!

dodie53
07-16-2014, 04:14 AM
nice dirk