PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a Jerry West F.MVP? Who would have been your last pick?

Chronz
07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I find it abit awkward how we've dubbed the Finals MVP the Bill Russell award, and yet the very first Finals MVP was given to Jerry West in a LOSING effort vs Russ.

I know why Russ is the ideal headpiece for that award, he would have won more than anyone else All-Time had it been around since day 1. That said, I find it hard to believe the only player worthy of winning the F.MVP in a losing effort has been Mr. West.

Even if you believe West didn't deserve the Finals MVP, who would come closest to matching his performance in your estimation?

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Michael Jordan was the ultimate finals MVP. 6/6 with insane stats. Once even averaged 41 ppg in a finals series I believe ?

Chronz
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Im talking about a Finals MVP where a player LOST.

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Im talking about a Finals MVP where a player LOST.

Well that 1969 was the inaugural yr. NBA didn't know what they were doing or on what merits they were handing out that award. The 2nd yr of the award in 1970 is when they got it right.

So that's why I wouldn't look into West FMVP award too much.

JordansBulls
07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Well for this to be the case, would have to have been a series that went 7 to justify.

Chronz
07-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Well that 1969 was the inaugural yr. NBA didn't know what they were doing or on what merits they were handing out that award. The 2nd yr of the award in 1970 is when they got it right.

The purpose of the thread is to look into the thought process behind that selection and find another comparable scenario

kingsdelez24
07-15-2014, 04:12 PM
The only way I could ever see it happen is if a plater leads a team to a Cinderella run, but only to lose a close game 7

tredigs
07-15-2014, 04:16 PM
I find it abit awkward how we've dubbed the Finals MVP the Bill Russell award, and yet the very first Finals MVP was given to Jerry West in a LOSING effort vs Russ.

I know why Russ is the ideal headpiece for that award, he would have won more than anyone else All-Time had it been around since day 1. That said, I find it hard to believe the only player worthy of winning the F.MVP in a losing effort has been Mr. West.

Even if you believe West didn't deserve the Finals MVP, who would come closest to matching his performance in your estimation?

You actually find it awkward that the award is named after the player who should own the most of them All Time, and not the one player whose team lost? To me it would seem awkward if it was named after West, that would be a strange precedent to set, especially since he never won another. I can't think of anyone other than MJ who it could be named after other than Bill.

As to the question - Barkley is the best I've personally seen in a losing effort back in '93 to the Bulls. There were some who were making the argument that he was the best player in the world that year, but MJ had other ideas. Still, Chuck was incredible and dominated the majority of the season, including having a great Finals. The game 2 battle where he and Jordan were both going Nova was the best performance by two separate players in a game I've seen.

So, in no way did Chuck deserve Finals MVP, but that's the level of performances you'd need (and not be playing one of the best teams ever with the best player ever).

Chronz
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
You actually find it awkward that the award is named after the player who should own the most of them All Time, and not the one player whose team lost? To me it would seem awkward if it was named after West, that would be a strange precedent to set, especially since he never won another. I can't think of anyone other than MJ who it could be named after other than Bill.
Its awkward because the precedent was set and because Russell was also involved in the series. Which if they were consistent with their criteria, West would have gotten his fare share in other losing efforts IMO. We both obviously know what the current standard is, you have to win.

As to the question - Barkley is the best I've personally seen in a losing effort back in '93 to the Bulls.
As good as Chuck was, MJ was better. So even in that scenario I cant imagine him getting a Jerry West version of the award. You have to be CLEARLY the most dominant player ala West.

So, in no way did Chuck deserve Finals MVP, but that's the level of performances you'd need (and not be playing one of the best teams ever with the best player ever).

Agreed, you might be right in that hes the closest to win this hypothetical award. Has there really never been another?

Im tempted to say Shaq in 04 but his defense was bad enough to make me hesitate. Maybe Wade in 2010?

hugepatsfan
07-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I don't like giving the award to a losing player. I understand that in the literal sense they could be the most valuable but I just hate what it stands for. It basically says hey it's not his fault we lost. I understand that that might literally be true but it's not a message I like to send at all. People that are knowledgable about the game can tell if someone played well enough to win. I don't need an award to say it.

kingkenny01
07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Not saying he deserved it over shaq but allen iverson balled pretty hard against the lakers

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Umm no. Jerry West averaged 38 ppg including one game where he dropped 53 and was clearly the most dominant player in that series. Instead of going 7 the Lakers would have been swept had it not been for West. They got it right.

KnicksorBust
07-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Magic in 84.

JEDean89
07-15-2014, 04:49 PM
dude has the logo, the league has already given him their highest honor

Kaner
07-15-2014, 04:54 PM
'77 Erving has a case over Walton and was the best player in the series, and maybe '81 Moses over Maxwell

Chronz
07-15-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't like giving the award to a losing player. I understand that in the literal sense they could be the most valuable but I just hate what it stands for. It basically says hey it's not his fault we lost. I understand that that might literally be true but it's not a message I like to send at all. People that are knowledgable about the game can tell if someone played well enough to win. I don't need an award to say it.

Very true. Still, anyone come to mind cuz Im drawing blanks right now

Chronz
07-15-2014, 06:59 PM
'77 Erving has a case over Walton and was the best player in the series, and maybe '81 Moses over Maxwell

This seems to be the only correct possibility