PDA

View Full Version : Parity in the NBA !!!

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
This is the most parity the NBA has seen in a long time and it feels great.

East tier 1:

Cleveland
Chicago
Indiana

East tier 2:

Miami
Toronto
Washington

East tier 3:

Charlotte
Atlanta
Brooklyn
New York

East tier 4:

Detroit
Boston
Orlando
Philadelphia
Milwaukee

West tier 1:

San Antonio
Oklahoma City

West tier 2:

LA Clippers

West tier 3:

Portland
Golden State
Houston
Memphis
Dallas
Phoenix

West tier 4:

Minnesota
Denver
New Orleans
LA Lakers
Sacramento
Utah

So why did I divide these teams up ? To show just how wide open the NBA will be next season. It may seem like a no brainer to pencil the Spurs into the finals, but not so fast. Something tells me their time is up and winning the title last year might leave the core feeling somewhat satisfied. Realistically you have 5-6 teams capable of representing the West in the finals.

As for the East, it is as wide open as it could be. Cleveland may be a year or two away still while there is no telling how Rose will come back for Chicago. We know Indiana has its faults but will still be top 3 in the East. Then you have teams like Washington, Toronto, and Charlotte who have another year of experience and who have all shown they can be competitive. How about the triangle offense in NY, will that make a difference ?

I don't know about you, but I can't wait for next season already. There are so many different ways the season can play it out and that's just what the NBA needed. No more automatically printing Heat vs Spurs final tickets before the season even starts.

You have:

LeBron's return to Cleveland
Rose's Comeback
PJ in NY
Jason Kidd in Milwaukee
Clippers under new Ownership (maybe)
New look Miami Heat
Revamped Mavericks Team
Kobe's Swan Song

The NBA might just be back ladies and gentlemen ....

RLundi
07-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Parody is when you poke fun or mock something.

I think you mean "parity."

MonroeFAN
07-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Yeah it should be a good year. This is the first time in a long time I've been excited about my team. Hopefully we can move up a tier.

SPURSFAN1
07-15-2014, 09:17 AM
West Tier 1>West Tier 2>West Tier 3>East Tier 1>East Tier 2>East Tier 3>West Tier 4>East Tier 4.
How is that parity?

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Parody is when you poke fun or mock something.

I think you mean "parity."

haha ! Good call my man you are 100% correct.

SPURSFAN1
07-15-2014, 09:19 AM
haha ! Good call my man you are 100% correct.

I knew it sounded wrong. Geez. hahahahaah

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Mods please change title to: Parity in the NBA !!!

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:26 AM
I knew it sounded wrong. Geez. hahahahaah

You know me too at first but my computer really wanted Parody so I said what the hell and trusted it lol

bloomis1307
07-15-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't see how NY is better than last year by getting phil jackson. This offseason they lost their best defender in Tyson and replaced him with a guy who couldn't fill his shoes in Dallas. They got better offensively at PG but regressed further defensively. Hardaway is a year older which should help but some people are claiming the Knicks are a fringe playoff team and I just don't see it.

WSU Tony
07-15-2014, 09:30 AM
I see 5-6 teams which have a chance to win it all. That's not parity.

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:33 AM
I don't see how NY is better than last year by getting phil jackson. This offseason they lost their best defender in Tyson and replaced him with a guy who couldn't fill his shoes in Dallas. They got better offensively at PG but regressed further defensively. Hardaway is a year older which should help but some people are claiming the Knicks are a fringe playoff team and I just don't see it.

Well I'll admit I am a Knicks fan but I do have realistic expectations. Last year the team flat out quit and it was disgraceful. I believe the notion is that this year they will be a rejuvenated squad running a new system. I fully expect them to make the playoffs, but they are still a year away from really cementing their roster of the future. And just for the record, Chandler played awful for them last season. My bet is he will make a strong comeback in Dallas, but it was time to cut ties with him.

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Compared to last years 2-3 it is.

Miami, SA, OKC ...

kdspurman
07-15-2014, 09:35 AM
I don't ever remember anyone automatically penciling in the Spurs last year. Even if they should have been the favorites, it's usually been OKC or the Clippers. Spurs have always been in the running, but OKC has been favored more the last couple years. Penciling someone out West was always challenging to do.

Miami is a different story, they have been inked to make the finals since they formed together. I do think now, with all the changes, it definitely makes the East much more interesting and wide open. But the West will be the West like it has been.

Oh yea, and if I had a nickel for every time I read someone say regarding the Spurs "i think their time is up" or something to that effect... :)

FYL_McVeezy
07-15-2014, 09:41 AM

A lot of our woes were coaching and PG related. We gave away at least 5 games alone due to those weaknesses, and mind you we only missed the playoffs by like 2 games.

We didn't do much in terms of upgrading our talent outside of the Calderon trade(which is a huge upgrade at PG for us), but we hope that the tandem of PJax/Fisher/Triangle offense is enough to get us a few more wins with the talent we have.

I agree with the OP's rankings....

FYL_McVeezy
07-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm excited for this season....it was boring knowing which teams were gonna make the finals every year.

Hope to see some surprises this season....OP got it right as far as rankings are concerned...

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't ever remember anyone automatically penciling in the Spurs last year. Even if they should have been the favorites, it's usually been OKC or the Clippers. Spurs have always been in the running, but OKC has been favored more the last couple years. Penciling someone out West was always challenging to do.

Miami is a different story, they have been inked to make the finals since they formed together. I do think now, with all the changes, it definitely makes the East much more interesting and wide open. But the West will be the West like it has been.

Oh yea, and if I had a nickel for every time I read someone say regarding the Spurs "i think their time is up" or something to that effect... :)

You are right about that and honestly they will probably be proving everyone wrong again next year. The logic is there though. They had unfinished business this year and made sure they took care of it. I will be interested to see if they play with the same fire again next year.

ManRam
07-15-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't think the East v West parity is quite there. LeBron leaving spreads the talent out a bit, but none of those top EC teams look truly elite at this point. I think there will be a lot more good teams, but there's no clearly great team in the East.

The NBA has rarely ever had more than a handful of true contenders. If that's how you're judging parity, well, the league has never had it.

BoSox47
07-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Compared to last years 2-3 it is.

Miami, SA, OKC ...

So now its just OKC and SA?

king4day
07-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I think this is great. It's one of the things I hated so much about the Miami big 3. Now, the East is completely wide open (edge to Chicago IMO).
The west is always a beast too. Thought I think it's a bit more top heavy with the Spurs and Thunder.

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't think you gets are understanding what I am trying to say. Or perhaps I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself.

The inter-conference parity is as good as its been in ten years. Not only has the big three been dissolved, but teams such as Washington and Charlotte are on the move. In the West you still have the big boys in SA and OKC but you also have a whole mash up of teams in LA, GS, POR, HOU, DAL, who are all more than capable of making a run to the conference finals.

Yes the West is stronger than the East, no one is debating that. But, the competitive nature of the regular season and posturing for a better seed is going to make for one exciting NBA season.

The great thing about the NHL is every year you have lower seeds pushing top seeds to the brink of elimination. For the most part, the NBA is not constructed like that. Next year however, you may see a 7 seeded GS team give OKC fits or in the East, a 6 seed Charlotte team knock out someone like Indiana.

Do you see where I am coming from or am I drunk ?

sixer04fan
07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
East Tier 4 baby! Represent!

shep33
07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
I think the East is more balanced (unless Love is traded to Cleveland, who would become the favorite for years to come).

But the West is still as dominant as ever, and you can make a legit case that any team out East that makes it will not have a shot at beating the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, etc. Heck I think Dallas would be a top 2-3 seed out East.

There is more parity out East. But the West still dominates the East's mother

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 11:52 AM
East Tier 4 baby! Represent!

Give it time young grasshopper, in 2-3 years the sixers should firmly plant themselves atop the East.

amak316
07-15-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm counting only 2 teams in the West tier 4 that wouldn't be favorites to make the playoffs in the east

jerellh528
07-15-2014, 01:54 PM
There's no parity between west and east. In fact now that Miami is disbanded, I have no doubt the winner of the west will be nba champions for at least the foreseeable future

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 01:59 PM
teres no parity when wests top 5/6 teams are better that Easts best, and when wests 7-12 teams are better than every team on east except the top 3-4

desertlakeshow
07-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Parity blows. Wake me when we have classic matchups with historic significance. The best basketball I have ever seen was in the 1980's and it's not even close.

This stuff is a Parody.

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 02:13 PM
teres no parity when wests top 5/6 teams are better that Easts best, and when wests 7-12 teams are better than every team on east except the top 3-4

I think you need to read through the thread. Parity meaning there are at least 4 teams if not more in each conference that can easily make a final run.

East:

Cleveland
Chicago
Indiana
Miami

West:

SA
OKC
LA
Dal (yes I think Dallas can)

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 02:23 PM
I think you need to read through the thread. Parity meaning there are at least 4 teams if not more in each conference that can easily make a final run.

East:

Cleveland
Chicago
Indiana
Miami

West:

SA
OKC
LA
Dal (yes I think Dallas can)

now come think of this.

If they didnt include 8 west teams and 8 east teams in separated branches and west teams played more games vs west teams

but instead

every team played 3 times vs every other team.
and then the top 16 teams made the playoffs regardless of conference 1st seed vs 16 2nd vs 15 and etc

How many east teams woudl make playoffs? 4? 5?

how many east teams woudl have a shot at making the finals in that circumstance? 1? 2?

more likely there woudl be 4 west teams in the semifinals.

mudvayne387
07-15-2014, 02:29 PM
now come think of this.

If they didnt include 8 west teams and 8 east teams in separated branches and west teams played more games vs west teams

but instead

every team played 3 times vs every other team.
and then the top 16 teams made the playoffs regardless of conference 1st seed vs 16 2nd vs 15 and etc

How many east teams woudl make playoffs? 4? 5?

how many east teams woudl have a shot at making the finals in that circumstance? 1? 2?

more likely there woudl be 4 west teams in the semifinals.

Yes I agree, but the NBA is not currently constructed as such. So you have to scale the talent accordingly. The East will be very competitive and so will the West. That is called parity. It is parity throughout the conference.

For the first time in a long while there is no favorite to reach the finals in either conference. Last year everyone assumed Miami/Indi vs SA/OKC

This year there is no telling who will come out of the East and SA is a year older, OKC proved they can be beaten, and teams like GS/LA,POR have that much needed experience to reach the next level.

RLundi
07-15-2014, 03:14 PM
The east is looking really good compared to past seasons.

Cavs
Bulls
Pacers
Wizards
Raptors
Heat
Hornets
Nets
Hawks
Knicks

All these teams could legitimately make the postseason. And of course we know what the west will more or less look like.

Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Rockets
Warriors
Grizzlies
Trailblazers
Suns
Mavericks
Nuggets
Pelicans

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if any combination of these 11 teams made the playoffs.

The league is in very good shape right now and I think it will start to look much more balanced now.