PDA

View Full Version : How bad will the Lakers be this year?

Gibby23
07-14-2014, 06:34 PM
I was looking at all of the teams in the NBA and the Loto teams. It looks like the Lakers will be anywhere from 3rd to 5th worst in the NBA.

I have the Sixers and Bucs as the 2 worst, but even the Bucks have a chance to be better than the Lakers. Sixers got better, but are still going to tank, Bucks got better, Cavs went to being a contender, Utah has the same team and got better, Orlando got better, Boston got better and has the same group of young guys together. Kings will be better with Gay for the whole year and added a shooter. Doesn't look good for my team.

Where do you guys see them ending up?

rockets-fan
07-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Baddddd. Hopefully Kobe will be a monster again but I don't see how that team could win games. Worse than last year is think.

Gibby23
07-14-2014, 06:38 PM
No perimeter defense, no interior defense, no rim protector, and no 3 point shooting. Going to be a hard season to watch. lol

shep33
07-14-2014, 06:42 PM
We are going to be horrid.

Hopefully bad enough to get our top 5 pick back from Phoenix. Top 5 protected

Tony_Starks
07-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Glass half full: healthy Kobe, Randle is a beast, and players like Monroe, Bledsoe, Jameer Nelson, Marian, and more than likely Boozer are still available.

Glass half empty: this is the same Jim Buss running the team that didnt even have enough common sense to put a coach in place before free agency started. ( 73 days and counting w/o a coach )

In short, just enjoy the Swaggy P show!

thephoenixson28
07-14-2014, 06:47 PM
They will get the 6th pick in the NBA draft

Ware_Spencer
07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
They have a lot more moves to make.

Jordan Hill is very underrated and will finally get minutes. Jeremy Lin is an upgrade. Kobe will be back.
They still have cap room to sign more players. Maybe someone like Udoh who is a good shot blocker.
If I was the Lakers I would try and trade for Josh Smith.
I bet they win around 35 games next year. I think they will do better then most people think.

jsthornton7
07-14-2014, 07:16 PM

With Jim Buss's golden touch we'll end up with the 6th overall pick.

setman2000
07-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Sooooooooooooo bad and it will be awesome! Nobody wants to play with Kobe the cap busting rapist!

smith&wesson
07-14-2014, 07:34 PM
feel bad for kobe. he should demand a trade again..

smith&wesson
07-14-2014, 07:34 PM
go to the bulls with his buddy Pau.. that seems like a great fit for Mamba

xxplayerxx23
07-14-2014, 07:38 PM

The owner will kill you for suggesting pay that much tax lol

likemystylez
07-14-2014, 07:38 PM

LOL- unfortunately, his contract kinda makes that tough. Not sure a good trade could trade for him- theyd have to give a ton of assets. Maybe a team like utah or the bucks

Parallel
07-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Pick that the Suns got from us is top 5 protected so hopefully Kobe shoots 300 times a game and we end up with a top 5 pick in the draft.

smith&wesson
07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
LOL- unfortunately, his contract kinda makes that tough. Not sure a good trade could trade for him- theyd have to give a ton of assets. Maybe a team like utah or the bucks

s&t boozer, and send butler along... atleast LA gets a young butler .. booom

and kobe restructures his deal.. boom... yeah I know none of this will ever happen. but I think kobe would be anice fit with the bulls

smith&wesson
07-14-2014, 07:43 PM
The owner will kill you for suggesting pay that much tax lol

lol true...

abe_froman
07-14-2014, 07:44 PM
s&t boozer, and send butler along... atleast LA gets a young butler .. booom

and kobe restructures his deal.. boom... yeah I know none of this will ever happen. but I think kobe would be anice fit with the bulls

salaries dont match,the bulls would have to add more ,also you cant restructure deals

likemystylez
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
not sure how this is gonna sound, but I dont know if i trade butler for a 37 yr old kobe bryant. Esp since i havent seen exactly what kobe will be when he comes back from his injury. that 25 million dollar contract will lock up any potential moves they can make.

Further more, lol amnestying boozers crappy contract- for the sole purpose of taking on possibly a worse contract... IM pretty sure thats not what the cba was aiming to do with the amnesty clause

likemystylez
07-14-2014, 07:51 PM
LOl and kobe is kinda selfish- if he went to the bulls, his first order of business would be for them to unretire the number 23 jersey so he could wear it:D

WadeKobe
07-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I love the people saying Kobe will be back. These are the same people saying Wade is finished. They're both old and struggling. However, Wase has been far healthier the last two years than Kobe, is younger, and has two less season ending injuries.

Wade is on his way out.
Kobe is already done.

LA_Raiders
07-14-2014, 08:09 PM
This is up to Jim and Mitch still, there are some fish still left in the pond.

Stephenson been the best option.

Trade for love or rondo.

LA_Raiders
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
These should be our line up:

Lin
Kobe
Stephenson
Booz/Randle
Monroe

MickeyMgl
07-14-2014, 08:31 PM
I was looking at all of the teams in the NBA and the Loto teams. It looks like the Lakers will be anywhere from 3rd to 5th worst in the NBA.

I have the Sixers and Bucs as the 2 worst, but even the Bucks have a chance to be better than the Lakers. Sixers got better, but are still going to tank, Bucks got better, Cavs went to being a contender, Utah has the same team and got better, Orlando got better, Boston got better and has the same group of young guys together. Kings will be better with Gay for the whole year and added a shooter. Doesn't look good for my team.

25 wins, max.

I don't think they were tanking last year. They were just legitimately bad. However, after seeing what has transpired this off-season (their pie-in-the-sky dreams of Lebron and Melo predictably going up in smoke, and losing Gasol, and overcommitting to Young and Hill), I believe they are now going all in on tanking this season in order to trigger the top-5 protection on their 2015 1st-rounder that would otherwise go to Phoenix.

Their front office doesn't have the imagination or intuition to do anything else.

Sssmush
07-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Lakers will be better than last year.

Somehow people FORGET that if Kobe is healthy he is a legit top 5 player.

If we wouldve brought in Carmelo, Kobe mightve been riding him, keeping him from thinking a 62 point game could turn into an 82 point game. Cranking up the gravity.

But all on his own, Kobe will pull this team together. Kobe + Byron Scott is money. No Pau = far kess wasted and discombobulated possessions. The NYoung etc young core is one year older and more developed.

A couple athletic young healthy defensive minded free agent bigs, Lakers are competitive.

Lin
Kobe
Hill
Randle
Young

That isnt a terrible starting lineup if evrybody healthy. Houston got worse, they lost Lin and Parsons and one other player I believe. Dwight seemed a bit slower last year and Harden got exposed on defense. If Kobe has an all star year they could compete with Houston in the standings.

If they deal Kobe or something crazy then it is a straight up tank. But I myself would give Kobe a higher value than, say, Rose right now, who everybody thinks is a for sure NBA finalist. Kobe should be healthier more durable and his game is more developed.

I know everyone will disagree but let's just start the season and play ball. I wanted us to get Carmelo but it feels good thst we are starting from scratch.

Tony_Starks
07-14-2014, 09:02 PM
These should be our line up:

Lin
Kobe
Stephenson
Booz/Randle
Monroe

I'd actually start grandpa Nash over Lin. At least he can still shoot.

PurpleLynch
07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Man,we're horrible. Probably Clarkson will be our best pg this year(I like him,but he's a late second round pick and that shows how Lakers are struggling ahah).
High hopes for our picks from the draft.

Jenceman
07-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Hopefully terrible enough to get a top 5 pick
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

THE MTL
07-14-2014, 09:39 PM
They look pretty bad but they got that man called Kobe. He has never given any of us a reason to doubt him. Ever!

WadeKobe
07-14-2014, 11:22 PM

If we wouldve brought in Carmelo, Kobe mightve been riding him, keeping him from thinking a 62 point game could turn into an 82 point game. Cranking up the gravity.

But all on his own, Kobe will pull this team together. Kobe + Byron Scott is money. No Pau = far kess wasted and discombobulated possessions. The NYoung etc young core is one year older and more developed.

A couple athletic young healthy defensive minded free agent bigs, Lakers are competitive.

Lin
Kobe
Hill
Randle
Young

That isnt a terrible starting lineup if evrybody healthy. Houston got worse, they lost Lin and Parsons and one other player I believe. Dwight seemed a bit slower last year and Harden got exposed on defense. If Kobe has an all star year they could compete with Houston in the standings.

If they deal Kobe or something crazy then it is a straight up tank. But I myself would give Kobe a higher value than, say, Rose right now, who everybody thinks is a for sure NBA finalist. Kobe should be healthier more durable and his game is more developed.

I know everyone will disagree but let's just start the season and play ball. I wanted us to get Carmelo but it feels good thst we are starting from scratch.

Lol @ 37 year old Kobe coming off of his second consecutive season ending surgery being a top5 player. What are you guys on?

Hotone1401
07-14-2014, 11:30 PM
I love the people saying Kobe will be back. These are the same people saying Wade is finished. They're both old and struggling. However, Wase has been far healthier the last two years than Kobe, is younger, and has two less season ending injuries.

Wade is on his way out.
Kobe is already done.

How is Kobe done? He certainly didn't look done before he got injured.

The difference is Kobe's skills and fundamentals will allow him to continue to produce while Wade has lost his biggest strength being quickness and athleticism.

We haven't seen Kobe really play since he's had his injury. We've seen Wade and it's clear to everybody that he's done. I know you're praying for Kobe to fall off like Wade did because it's kinda of embarrassing for a guy like Wade to crash burn so hard at a fairly young age compared to Kobe but it won't happen. Keep hoping though.

Hotone1401
07-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Lol @ 37 year old Kobe coming off of his second consecutive season ending surgery being a top5 player. What are you guys on?

All I know is that Kobe will still be better than Wade even at 37.

Bostonjorge
07-15-2014, 01:46 AM
Kobe can will his team to 41 wins. If lakers get a coach and add more players like Stephenson then I see them in the playoff hunt.

Shareeb_omac2
07-15-2014, 01:50 AM
If Kobe is healthy and plays around 70 or so games I could see them being a surprise 8th seed.

shep33
07-15-2014, 01:55 AM
I just want to see Randle develop. Just watched another summer league game and the dude is scary quick for someone that size.

AIRMAR72
07-15-2014, 01:58 AM

Lin
Kobe
Hill
Randle
Young

I know everyone will disagree but let's just start the season and play ball. I wanted us to get Carmelo but it feels good thst we are starting from scratch. you trippin SON!!kobe is FINISH as for the lake show goes its curtains check back in 2yrs

Crackadalic
07-15-2014, 02:15 AM
From a talent standpoint they are bottom five in the west. Problem is if they are going to suck at least suck enough to get that top 5 pick.

Also do they have a coach yet?

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 02:31 AM
There's no way to predict how the Lakers will be.

1. We dont know who will be their HC but anybody will be better than D'Antoni.
2. There is still a lot of time left in the off-season and a lot of cap space for Kupchak to make deals.
3. We dont know exactly how good Randle will be but I will be the first to predict he will be a beast.

They wont win a ring this year but they will probably be surprisingly good.

FOBolous
07-15-2014, 02:34 AM
i hope Lin plays well but the Lakers still miss the playoffs :shrug: i'm a fan of Lin but as a Rockets fan, i'm obligated to hate on the Lakers so this is a good compromise lol

Duncan = Donkey
07-15-2014, 02:37 AM
hopefully in the 6-10 worse record in the league bad

QueensG_718
07-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Turrible

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 02:51 AM

Kobe turns 36 this Summer, and he's known to be one of the most incredibly well-conditioned and durable athletes in NBA history. His game is also built around creating his own shots from the perimeter and he is a ridiculous deep threat from ranges as long as 36 feet+.

Of course it is uncertain or unclear if his achilles will be strong enough to run up and down the court for 82 games, and if he'll be able to move the same and have comparable athletic abilities when he comes back. And that is a binary yes/no proposition. He comes back and he can either run and jump reasonably well and do all his footwork, or he can't. If he CAN, and he's not out there playing on one leg, then he is an immediate world-class scoring threat against any team in the league. And especially if he isn't forcing it as much, and looks to distribute the ball to Swaggy P and other scorers.

Look I know the Lakers are extreme longshots to win a title this year, but as a basketball fan I'm extremely interested to watch some Laker games this season it should be really fun and very very interesting. And I'm nowhere near as down on this team as some are. I'm happy we finally got rid of Gasol and we can start rebuilding from the ground up and aren't just going to be mediocre again.

Kashmir13579
07-15-2014, 02:54 AM
10th or 11th in west

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 02:58 AM
I just want to see Randle develop. Just watched another summer league game and the dude is scary quick for someone that size.

Yes. Randle is looking like he should've been the #1 overall pick this year. Very outstanding blue chip player, and it is really incredible how everything worked out and the Lakers wound up with him.

Everybody setting world records for tanking and falling all over each other and Cleveland lucks out to the first lotto pick with a 1% chance, but somehow the Lakers have the absolute gem of the entire draft fall into their laps at #7.

I'm curious if the mysterious foot reports that turned out to be nothing were something that the agents put into the air purposely. If not for the murky reports about a possible foot surgery I think it's very likely Randle goes #3, and even there it's somewhat of a reach to take Wiggins or Parker ahead of him.

Was anybody even watching the NCAAs? Randle was a MAN out there and showed incredible timing and scoring knack and an ability to carry his team back under pressure in must win situations against great defense.

FlashBolt
07-15-2014, 03:00 AM
I feel bad for Kobe. He's going to be wasting his final two years with no chance of making it to the playoffs. He's already 36 by the beginning of the season and they haven't improved their roster at all. Much can be contributed because of Kobe's huge salary but I don't know.. Just sucks for him because I know he wants to win badly.

NYRaiderLove
07-15-2014, 03:10 AM

Lin
Kobe
Hill
Randle
Young

A lot of 'ifs' in there, you don't sound that sure. It comes off more as a pipe dream. You're really down talking he Rockets and talking up the Lakers.

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 03:13 AM
I feel bad for Kobe. He's going to be wasting his final two years with no chance of making it to the playoffs. He's already 36 by the beginning of the season and they haven't improved their roster at all. Much can be contributed because of Kobe's huge salary but I don't know.. Just sucks for him because I know he wants to win badly.

Maybe if there was no Kobe this would be true. But if he can stay healthy all season then you never know. Remember Kobe has had worse rosters around him than this. He took a roster with nothing but Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton and Jumaine Jones to the playoffs back to back years and damn near upset a #1 seed along the way. And if you are gonna try to come back to me about him being 36...36 aint ****. Jordan was 36 and still winning Finals MVPs.

NYRaiderLove
07-15-2014, 03:17 AM
You don't 'build from the ground up' in one offseason by letting one player go. They have a rookie playing well in summer league which is something to look forward to but he won't be a star this year. The haven't signed a coach yet.

MickeyMgl
07-15-2014, 04:50 AM

Somehow people forget that Kobe is 36 years old, will have played six official games in 18 months, and is trying to recover his game after blowing out his achilles and then fracturing his knee. He won't be top 5 anymore. Stop living in denial.

MickeyMgl
07-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Man,we're horrible. Probably Clarkson will be our best pg this year

I'm gonna say that he sees more minutes at SG than PG.

MickeyMgl
07-15-2014, 04:55 AM

And then he got injured! And then he got injured AGAIN!

These aren't routine injuries. These are the kind that change - if not end - your career. I'm not ready to say he's definitely "done", but banking on him still being a top 5 player is ludicrous.

MickeyMgl
07-15-2014, 04:57 AM
From a talent standpoint they are bottom five in the west. Problem is if they are going to suck at least suck enough to get that top 5 pick.

Also do they have a coach yet?

They might be holding out to see if Stephenson wants to choose the coach. ;)

Iron24th
07-15-2014, 05:01 AM

lol stop hating, kobe is 35, will be 36 next august

top 5 no, top 15-20 yes sir

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 05:18 AM
A lot of 'ifs' in there, you don't sound that sure. It comes off more as a pipe dream. You're really down talking he Rockets and talking up the Lakers.

I can't deny it, I'm a hopeless Laker homer.

But overall I think that some of the media coverage and their snap judgment analysis of the Lakers on talk radio is wrong.

For instance the Lakers keep Kobe for 2 years $48M, and the Knicks keep Carmelo for $122M for 5 years. But somehow Phil Jackson is a savior genius and Jim Buss is a village idiot. Not fair.

Lakers drafted Julius Randle, Knicks got Cleanthony Early. Lakers picked up Lin + 1st rounder, Knicks dealt Chandler and Felton in a salary dump. But again somehow Phil Jackson is amazing and Jim Buss is sinking the Lakers like the Titanic. Not fair.

It just irks me that everyone builds up Phil Jackson in their minds, so even though the Knicks are probably actually WORSE right now than they were 12 months ago, with a rookie coach, changing to the Triangle offense, no defensive center Chandler, a complete rookie point guard, somehow everyone feels good about New York because "Phil is rebuilding."

But all the Lakers did was dump wasted space Pau Gasol and add a solid new point guard, and are bringing back a healthy and rejuvenated Kobe Bryant, to go with some interesting young free agent players that Dantoni was developing last year. But somehow the first thing out of everybody's mouth is that the Lakers are in for the worst season in history. And everybody takes it for granted that Dwight Howard is some awesome superstar who is sure to carry the Rockets into the WCFs automatically.

My answer is let's just play the games. And there are still moves to be made. Who knows how all this shakes out in the end. You never know what players are gonna develop and be great, or what kind of trade opportunities are gonna happen. So let's just play the games and everyone can tell me next December or whatever how awesome the Knicks and Rockets are and how bad the Lakers suck.

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 05:24 AM
championship

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 05:31 AM
Also, just one more thing about New York: you got rid of Woodson, who was a very cerebral coach, partly because of Phil Jackson coming aboard and partly to appease Carmelo (very probably). Ok, that's fine. But now you've replaced him with Derek Fisher, who, as a Laker fan I can tell you has a lot of team spirit and is a big rah-rah guy, can twirl a towel with the best of them, but I really have no idea if he can be the day-in-day-out mental leader and strategic mastermind of the Knicks. I just don't know if he is that guy, who can administer a staff of coaches, break down all the film, make all the decisions, be the brain of the team. I don't know. I know that Woodson was that guy, but for whatever reason he wasn't sexy enough. But now you've got Derek Fisher, and I don't know how he'll function as Phil's puppet or whatever, but the only time I've seen him in a suit was when he was sitting their negotiating the players union down the river, settling for the worst labor relations deal that history has ever seen, at least since the Pilgrims bought New York from the Indians for a box of churros or whatever.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Let me tell you from experience that it is freakin' hilarious when things start going sideways and 7 foot tall frankenstein Phil Jackson starts walking out to the podium every night to try to calm everybody down in his soothing sweat lodge buddha voice, ripping his players in the media and trying to sell everybody another Brooklyn bridge at $12m a pop. Trust me Phil Jackson coming out there to tell you everything is great will not make you relax when the Knicks just lost 10 in a row. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 10:39 AM
lol stop hating, kobe is 35, will be 36 next august

top 5 no, top 15-20 yes sir

How am I hating?

I would say the same about any player in the same situation.

Wade has been healthier, better, and younger than Kobe the last two years, and I would still laugh at someone calling him a top5 player --- and he is my favorite player.

It isn't "hating". It's reality. Father Time and injuries are a real thing. Kobe will never be a top5 player again. Saying so, and laughing at the idea, isn't hating.

I wouldn't even agree with 15-20. Probably around 30.

lakerman81
07-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Lakers will make the playoffs. Kobe will be the Legend he has always been. "Never underestimate the heart of a champion." Rudy Tomjanovich

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Sadly not good enough to make playoffs and not bad enough to make their pick top 5 in order to keep it instead of giving it up to the suns.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-15-2014, 12:46 PM
hopefully really really bad

rhd420
07-15-2014, 01:43 PM
NOBODY ... and I mean NOBODY should feel bad for Kobe, he got PAID and now is truly the focal point of the team (if he stays healthy)

Sorry, he and the Lakers put themselves in this situation and "Hero ball" is the topic for the next two seasons for the Lakers and Kobe should put up stats and according to his fans, won titles all by himself so why exactly is the worry here? Shaq and Pau didn't do anything but clung to Kobe anyway right?

If this is the case for ALL Kobe fans - this is a title, why else would Kobe accept the max deal limiting the team to get any other key players. This is the year of Kobe .. according to him and his fans, he and the front office set it up perfectly!! Lets go for history and FINALLY prove Kobe all by himself can win a title

jerellh528
07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Hopefully either bad enough to get a top 5 pick or good enough for a second round exit.

Chronz
07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Pretty fkin bad guys

I dont think anyone realizes how fked the lakers are for awhile

IKnowHoops
07-15-2014, 03:24 PM
They will be awful. They could be the worst team in the league. Kobe may be worse than Jordans last year in Washington. It will definitely be weird seeing the lakers as the worst team in the league with Kobe Bryant on the squad.

IKnowHoops
07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Maybe if there was no Kobe this would be true. But if he can stay healthy all season then you never know. Remember Kobe has had worse rosters around him than this. He took a roster with nothing but Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton and Jumaine Jones to the playoffs back to back years and damn near upset a #1 seed along the way. And if you are gonna try to come back to me about him being 36...36 aint ****. Jordan was 36 and still winning Finals MVPs.

I'm pretty sure he had Lamar Odom, and Caron butler on the squad too. And he also missed the playoffs with those guys. And that was what 6 years ago, when Kobe could still get buckets. He's a shell of his former self now. He is not going to be scoring with good efficiency anymore. If he is taking 20 plus shots a game still, lakers are going to be getting smacked around a lot. Actually no matter what he does lakers are going to be garbage.

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Pretty fkin bad guys

Yup

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure he had Lamar Odom, and Caron butler on the squad too. And he also missed the playoffs with those guys. And that was what 6 years ago, when Kobe could still get buckets. He's a shell of his former self now. He is not going to be scoring with good efficiency anymore. If he is taking 20 plus shots a game still, lakers are going to be getting smacked around a lot. Actually no matter what he does lakers are going to be garbage.

Kobe missed 16 games and Butler was injury prone that yr. Divac had a career ending back injury. The other players on that roster were Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Old Brian Grant, Kareem Rush, Slava Medvedenko, Luke Walton, Brian Cook, Sasha Vujacic, Tierre Brown.

Anything else ?

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Wade has been healthier, better, and younger than Kobe the last two years

This is comically inaccurate. Maybe Wade was better last year but thats only because he was playing and Kobe wasnt. But in 2013 Kobe was way better. Kobe was the one selected to the all NBA 1st team while Wade barely cracked the 3rd team.

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM

He made the playoffs with those guys more often than he missed. And how do you know that he is a "shell of his former self"? We havent even seen him play yet man. Those are words of a true hater. Give the guy a chance at least before you bury him.

Hardaway Here
07-15-2014, 03:54 PM

The difference is Kobe's skills and fundamentals will allow him to continue to produce while Wade has lost his biggest strength being quickness and athleticism.

We haven't seen Kobe really play since he's had his injury. We've seen Wade and it's clear to everybody that he's done. I know you're praying for Kobe to fall off like Wade did because it's kinda of embarrassing for a guy like Wade to crash burn so hard at a fairly young age compared to Kobe but it won't happen. Keep hoping though.

If you think averaging 19pts 4+ rebs and 4+ assists is crashing and burning then you really are delusional. Kobe came off an injury just to get reinjured again. If you think he is going to be putting up great numbers on a consistent basis then you really are on something.

HoodedSB
07-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Lottery team even if kobe stays healthy. No depth at all and the starting 5 is pretty bad. Gonna be another frustrating year.

jerellh528
07-15-2014, 04:00 PM
I know it's improbable, but I really hope the mamba shuts you guys up. I Can't wait to see all the crow eating.

rhd420
07-15-2014, 04:12 PM
If you think averaging 19pts 4+ rebs and 4+ assists is crashing and burning then you really are delusional. Kobe came off an injury just to get reinjured again. If you think he is going to be putting up great numbers on a consistent basis then you really are on something.

HOW DARE YOU use logic LOL
You have to understand this is a team BUILT (thanks to Kobe) for "Hero Ball" so he'll earn every penny of that contract for the next two seasons if he remains healthy but hey, he is one of the reasons why the Lakers are in the situation they are in ... so don't just blame the front office

It's going to be entertaining to have Kobe "attempt" to carry a team ... if you talk to Kobe fans, he's been doing it his entire career so why should this be any different?

For the future ... what "high end" free agent wants to play with Kobe who demands the ball all the time, is paid the most even if injured and your asking them to take a pay cut? Let's just say Kobe recruiting free agents ... not a good assist guy apparently

PurpleLynch
07-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Pretty fkin bad guys

Yes,we're screwed,but at least it seems we landed two good picks.Plus next year Nash is gone.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Pretty fkin bad guys

I do. :laugh2:

Aust
07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Hopefully bad enough to keep our pick :)

I hope most of the minutes this season go to guys 25 years old or younger. I want us to develop some young talent. Hopefully Clarkson and Randle put us in the right direction.

Nobody should feel bad for him. He took that money, now he needs to see this thing through.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2014, 04:54 PM
lol that Kobe contract doe...

He probably was like "I guess I'll start high since it's a negotiation" and then Short Buss (not talking about height) was like "duuur OK deal!." Kobe was probably shocked when he signed his deal.

Iron24th
07-15-2014, 05:53 PM
How am I hating?

I would say the same about any player in the same situation.

Wade has been healthier, better, and younger than Kobe the last two years, and I would still laugh at someone calling him a top5 player --- and he is my favorite player.

It isn't "hating". It's reality. Father Time and injuries are a real thing. Kobe will never be a top5 player again. Saying so, and laughing at the idea, isn't hating.

I wouldn't even agree with 15-20. Probably around 30.

What a surprise

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
This is comically inaccurate. Maybe Wade was better last year but thats only because he was playing and Kobe wasnt. But in 2013 Kobe was way better. Kobe was the one selected to the all NBA 1st team while Wade barely cracked the 3rd team.

Except that Wade's production was better. I don't care about media awards. They hold no value.

Over the last two years, when playing, Wade has been more productive than Kobe Bryant, while suffering two less season-ending injuries and being 3 years younger.

Wade is very close to done. He is good most of the season, but won't last through the playoffs, like we saw this year.

Kobe's situation is and will be worse.

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 06:04 PM
I know it's improbable, but I really hope the mamba shuts you guys up. I Can't wait to see all the crow eating.

Pipe down bro, it's over.

Kobe will have his flashes of great moments, but just like last yr, this team will come up short of getting to the playoffs next yr and yr after.

Gibby23
07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Except that Wade's production was better. I don't care about media awards. They hold no value.

Over the last two years, when playing, Wade has been more productive than Kobe Bryant, while suffering two less season-ending injuries and being 3 years younger.

Wade is very close to done. He is good most of the season, but won't last through the playoffs, like we saw this year.

Kobe's situation is and will be worse.

Wade has been in the NBA like 7 or 8 years less than Kobe, he might not have ended his season with injury, but he had to sit out almost 30 games to rest and recover. How will he do this year with a bigger role and more defensive attention? Comparing Wade to a 18 year vet? Lol. Compare him to the players in his draft class like Lebron, Melo, and Bosh. He broke down and plays like an 18 year vet now. Lol. Kobe was drafted in 1996, look up that class and see who is still in the NBA and Kobe is still better than all those guys that are left.

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Wade has been in the NBA like 7 or 8 years less than Kobe, he might not have ended his season with injury, but he had to sit out almost 30 games to rest and recover. How will he do this year with a bigger role and more defensive attention? Comparing Wade to a 18 year vet? Lol. Compare him to the players in his draft class like Lebron, Melo, and Bosh. He broke down and plays like an 18 year vet now. Lol. Kobe was drafted in 1996, look up that class and see who is still in the NBA and Kobe is still better than all those guys that are left.

Let me be clear about what I am saying and what I am not.

I agree with everything you have said here. Wade's career has unfortunately been marked by more injury in his 10 years than he or anyone else wishes and, as I said, due y those injuries he is a shell of his former self.

I also agree that Kobe has had elite, historic longevity and durability which has far exceeded his peers that were drafted with him. This longevity is the largest reason his career had been muc better than Wade's with no question to the contrary.

However, they both have dealt with health issues lately.

Unfortunately for Kobe, his have unquestionably been more severe. Likewise, due to age and mileage, Kobe simply won't e able to recover the same from these. He won't be a below-replacement level player like last year, but top30 is probably the very best e can hope for moving forward.

Unfortunately, due to the above factors of age, mileage, an severity of injuries, Kobe's situation looks worse than Wade's moving forward and, well, we both know Wade's doesn't look awesome

Gibby23
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM

I agree with everything you have said here. Wade's career has unfortunately been marked by more injury in his 10 years than he or anyone else wishes and, as I said, due y those injuries he is a shell of his former self.

I also agree that Kobe has had elite, historic longevity and durability which has far exceeded his peers that were drafted with him. This longevity is the largest reason his career had been muc better than Wade's with no question to the contrary.

Unfortunately for Kobe, his have unquestionably been more severe. Likewise, due to age and mileage, Kobe simply won't e able to recover the same from these. He won't be a below-replacement level player like last year, but top30 is probably the very best e can hope for moving forward.

Unfortunately, due to the above factors of age, mileage, an severity of injuries, Kobe's situation looks worse than Wade's moving forward and, well, we both know Wade's doesn't look awesome

That’s the sad part. Kobe’s should look worse after 18 years in the NBA. It’s sad that Wade is so broken down 11 years in and for the past few years that we are even comparing his health to an 18 year Vet with about 2 and a half seasons of post season games under his belt.

IKnowHoops
07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
He made the playoffs with those guys more often than he missed. And how do you know that he is a "shell of his former self"? We havent even seen him play yet man. Those are words of a true hater. Give the guy a chance at least before you bury him.

Dude hes 36 coming off a an a chillies. Its beyond obvious he will be a shell of his former self. Your denial/hope that he won't be are the words of a true homer.:)

IKnowHoops
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Kobe missed 16 games and Butler was injury prone that yr. Divac had a career ending back injury. The other players on that roster were Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Old Brian Grant, Kareem Rush, Slava Medvedenko, Luke Walton, Brian Cook, Sasha Vujacic, Tierre Brown.

Anything else ?

He omitted Butler and Odom is all. That was my point. Apparently it went over your head and you felt the need to try and prove a different point.

IKnowHoops
07-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Pipe down bro, it's over.

Kobe will have his flashes of great moments, but just like last yr, this team will come up short of getting to the playoffs next yr and yr after.

:clap::laugh2:

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 07:18 PM
That’s the sad part. Kobe’s should look worse after 18 years in the NBA. It’s sad that Wade is so broken down 11 years in and for the past few years that we are even comparing his health to an 18 year Vet with about 2 and a half seasons of post season games under his belt.

It is sad, in an unfortunate way -- not pathetic. Unfortunately for Wade, he doesn't have the knees others do.

Unfortunately for NBA fans, the 3rd best SG to ever play the game had glass knees that couldn't hold up and we missed what could have been a much longer, more amazing career. It is unfortunate that a player who had the talent, skill, IQ, and production to rival an all-time great like Kobe never got a chance to do so and build that career.

And it is unfortunate for NBA fans that the second best SG is goin out this way, with devastating injuries and sub-par production.

It would have been awesome to see Wade put together a full and long career, rivaling Kobe's, and it would have been great to watch Kobe go out on top, strong, a top10 player, competing in the playoffs.

Unfortunately for NBA fans who love the game of basketball will get to enjoy neither of those two things.

I agree. That is sad.

MickeyMgl
07-15-2014, 07:18 PM
He made the playoffs with those guys more often than he missed. And how do you know that he is a "shell of his former self"?

Medical science is not that hard to predict.

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
He omitted Butler and Odom is all. That was my point. Apparently it went over your head and you felt the need to try and prove a different point.

You really need to know you hoops better Mr. I know hoops. I omitted Butler because he wasnt on those two playoff teams fool!

Hardaway Here
07-15-2014, 07:29 PM

It's not sad to those that know that Wade came into the league with a missing meniscus he had removed in college. That has plagued him throughout his career and is why he has broken down the way he has. I swear the people that obviously don't watch him play night in and night out have greatly exaggerated his decline.

MickeyMgl
07-15-2014, 07:32 PM

I agree with about 90% of what you wrote, which is a well-measured statement. I would give Kobe a shot at top 15 or 20 by virtue of his ability - up to now - to adjust his game for his declining athleticism. He could still be a 20 ppg scorer with decent efficiency. That only goes so far, of course, and I don't think he can carry a team this bad to the playoffs the way he could in the past. He is no longer a tansformational player that can single-handedly lift a team to overachieve. So too much stock is being put in his mere presence on the court and his ability to "will" his team into the playoffs... which he was able to do in the past as well as anybody.

I don't think enough attention is being paid to the loss of Gasol, and how much he has helped extend Kobe's effectiveness as an elite player. Not that Kobe owes his success to Gasol, but Pau's ability to draw defensive attention and his superior passing certainly have given Kobe room to work and provided a fair share of easy baskets along the way. The Lakers don't have that anymore, so this Kobe - the 36-year-old with the repaired achilles tendon who is also recovering from a broken bone in his knee and hasn't played a full season in nearly two years - will be pretty much on an island. Even if he does have the (truly) miraculous recuperative powers some young Laker fans believe he has, there are significant issues with the makeup of the team that will have him playing uphill.

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 07:36 PM

If you dont respect the fact that the media recognized that Kobe was the better player then thats fine. Lets try this a different way. Wade's Win Shares for 2013 - 9.6. Kobe's WS for 2013 - 10.9

What else you got?

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 07:37 PM
I agree with about 90% of what you wrote, which is a well-measured statement. I would give Kobe a shot at top 15 or 20 by virtue of his ability - up to now - to adjust his game for his declining athleticism. He could still be a 20 ppg scorer with decent efficiency. That only goes so far, of course, and I don't think he can carry a team this bad to the playoffs the way he could in the past. He is no longer a tansformational player that can single-handedly lift a team to overachieve. So too much stock is being put in his mere presence on the court and his ability to "will" his team into the playoffs... which he was able to do in the past as well as anybody.

I don't think enough attention is being paid to the loss of Gasol, and how much he has helped extend Kobe's effectiveness as an elite player. Not that Kobe owes his success to Gasol, but Pau's ability to draw defensive attention and his superior passing certainly have given Kobe room to work and provided a fair share of easy baskets along the way. The Lakers don't have that anymore, so this Kobe - the 36-year-old with the repaired achilles tendon who is also recovering from a broken bone in his knee and hasn't played a full season in nearly two years - will be pretty much on an island. Even if he does have the (truly) miraculous recuperative powers some young Laker fans believe he has, there are significant issues with the makeup of the team that will have him playing uphill.

I am not as optimistic re:top20, but that's okay.

I hope people see I am not bashing Kobe, and not making some lofty claim as to Dwyane Wade' greatness compared to Kobe's.

I am being honest and realistic about Kobe's physical situation and using a well-known example as a comparison moving forward.

Kobe had been great and his longevity legendary. He, however, is human and a lot of your laker and Kobe fans (well-put) seem to ignore or forget that.

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
If you dont respect the fact that the media recognized that Kobe was the better player then thats fine. Lets try this a different way. Wade's Win Shares for 2013 - 9.6. Kobe's WS for 2013 - 10.9

What else you got?

Can you describe to me what WinShares measures, how it measures it, and how that compares to other value metrics and why it is te first one we should look at?

Wade's WS/48 was better... Why not look at that?

PowerHouse
07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Wade's WS/48 was better... Why not look at that?

We can look at that and thats a valid point but its also an indicator that Wade was playing fewer minutes per game than Kobe, which he was. Why was the 31 yr old Wade playing fewer minutes than the 34 year old Kobe if he was "healthier"?

WadeKobe
07-15-2014, 08:00 PM
We can look at that and thats a valid point but its also an indicator that Wade was playing fewer minutes per game than Kobe, which he was. Why was the 31 yr old Wade playing fewer minutes than the 34 year old Kobe if he was "healthier"?

I would say that during the season get were probably equally as healthy. However, the Heat took precautions to protect Wadefrom injury, sitting him more minutes and games. Therefore, even though Wade was playing better than Kobe, he played less and accumulated less value.

The end result? Kobe got a season-ending injury and Wade didn't. No doubt in my mind that if the Heat played Wade as much as LAL played Kobe, Wade would have had more total WS and likely have suffered a season ending injury also. That would change a lot of what I am sayig here. Luckily the Heat didn't need to play him as much and could afford to sit him. Unfortunately for LA, they did not have the same benefit. Unfortunately for all NBA fans everywhere, Kobe paid the price for it.

Every per-minute valu metric agrees Wade was better than Kobe.

EWA and WS both say Kobe had more total value. WP and RAPM say. Wade had more total value. ezPM says tey were basically equal. I haven't looked at ASPM.

My problem is throwing out WS as some sort of end all. If we take the total picture, it appears they were very similar in total value while Wade had a clear edge in per minute productivity.

It is also certain that Wade was rested more and Kobe was not, and that today. Kobe's health and longevity (and productivity) will suffer the consequences moving forward, likely more than Wade.

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 08:18 PM
honestly, looking at the Laker's roster, I like the way they are building a scrappy little nucleus of young former lottery picks. Seriously I'm not sure who I would want to delete from the team right now... Of course Steve Nash, we'd get rid of him in a second. But he can probably be packaged before the tradeline for a 1st or 2nd round pick or a young prospect. Sacre I can totally live without. I never understand why guys like that just aren't in the gym 24 hours a day until they develop some skills. Just don't get it. We already got rid of Farmar, who I wasn't keen on, and dumped Kaman, who is a mostly unskilled unathletic throwback player that just isn't that valuable in today's NBA. We didn't overpay Meeks and let him go, which was good. That just means we chose Young over Meeks, which I think is a great decision. We let Bazemore go, which is fine also. That just means we chose Marshon Brooks over Bazemore. Totally fine.

Ok then, so outside of Nash and Sacre who else would I want to get rid of? Nick Young is an incredibly splashy scorer, who was making Lebron look bad in a game last year and is really a nice instant offense guy. Marshon Brooks is young talented developing player. Jordan Clarkson I guess is really still on the bubble of making the team or not, but from what I see/hear he shows a lot of promise and is an intriguing prospect.

Wesley Johnson and Xavier Henry -- I definitely would like both of those players to return to the Lakers, definitely. Both very athletic and very solid developing young players. After all those years of Gasol and Odom schlumping around under the rim doing fey finger rolls I absolutely LOVE IT to to see players playing way above the rim and going to the rack with authority.

Kendall Marshall is a nice point guard. I guess if we could exchange him for an Isaiah Thomas or a Bledsoe I would do that deal, but overall Marshall is a very nice player on the team. Ryan Kelly we could part ways with but I don't mind keeping him, he is very skilled and versatile and a good shooter. If healthy and utilized correctly, Jordan Hill is practically a top 10 center, or at the very least can rebound and defend pretty well against Western conference centers.

So really I don't see what everyone is complaining about at this point. What will really make the team is the coach we bring in, the type of system that gets installed and the culture that starts getting built.

Chrisclover
07-15-2014, 09:19 PM

The hyper tense Kobe will not allow us to be that “good”

Chrisclover
07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
They will get the 6th pick in the NBA draft

The worst scenario I want to see. Suns will be so grateful.

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 10:19 PM
yeah LoL there is no way we're finishing fifth worst in the league. Phoenix can keep that stupid pick. They'll probably just package it in some three way trade, or draft some euro from Greece that they'll "park" in Italy for 3 years. Who cares.

Last season was a 27 win season and you had fans almost literally starting to riot, you had out and out rebellion and sports radio people going after Jim Buss like crazy. Like this guy is the worst owner in the history of the NBA and is singlehandedly destroying the Lakers.

Of course all of that urgency was a function of the fact that Phil Jackson urgently wanted Jim Buss's job (and Kupchak's) and so that's why Magic and all these guys were on the air everyday stoking mass discontent and hatred of Jim Buss, and Jeannie Buss was in the background pulling all the strings with Phil Jackson.

And STILL with all of that incredibly intense drama, all the animosity toward Dantoni, the extreme disatisfaction with a 27 win season even though their 1st team All Star Kobe Bryant was out for the season and their supposed starting point guard Nash was also out, even with ALL of that, teams like Utah managed to finish just a little bit worse than the Lakers.

So yeah, forget it. We're not going through that again. I think we've proven, even when we try our very hardest we still can't manage to be worse than the Utah Jazz. So **** it time to just start kicking some *** and winning some games. Phoenix thinks they're getting over because they got that pick, I'm looking forward to the Lakers showing up on their home court and kicking their butts. All these freakin' fantasy league teams, what a joke. HELLO there is a reason Kobe has 5 NBA championship rings and all of these jokers have exactly zero. Lebron has two. Wow. Kevin Love never even made the playoffs. Carmelo's never even had a sniff. Let's see some of these teams and players actually do something and then we can talk about how the Lakers are the most hopeless team in the NBA.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-15-2014, 10:42 PM
76ers, Celtics, Bucks, Magic, Jazz will more than likely be wore than them next year. And then you possibly have the Kings, Timberwolves, and Pistons.

NBA_Starter
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
It depends on what version of Kobe they get.

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 11:01 PM
If people are still comparing Wade to the iconic Kobe Bryant, then that's just really laughable and stupid. You people really need to stop. Now you're just overdoing it.

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 11:02 PM
The hyper tense Kobe will not allow us to be that “good”

Maybe if we had every 5 game Wade instead of Kobe, we'd be in prime position to get a top 5 pick for next yr's draft.

ldawg
07-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Lakers need Lance Stevenson. He is a guy that can and should be able to pick up the slack and even lead some nights. Kobe will struggle with heavy minutes and back to back games. He can no longer carry a team playing all 82 games 38mpg and come out healthy. Kobe had health issues even before he finally broke. How many times did he go Germany? Sad part is he is stupid enough to try. They need a coach who will limit him and save him from himself. Lance is a young guy that can play heavy minutes. La is also a good spot for Lance. the minutes are there, the stage is there. He can showcase his talent. Kobe is also close to retiring. So if he plays good and learn from Kobe then guess what? At present this is the worst Lakers team I have seen. Lance would change that.

ice_c
07-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Last season was a 27 win season and you had fans almost literally starting to riot, you had out and out rebellion and sports radio people going after Jim Buss like crazy. Like this guy is the worst owner in the history of the NBA and is singlehandedly destroying the Lakers.

Of course all of that urgency was a function of the fact that Phil Jackson urgently wanted Jim Buss's job (and Kupchak's) and so that's why Magic and all these guys were on the air everyday stoking mass discontent and hatred of Jim Buss, and Jeannie Buss was in the background pulling all the strings with Phil Jackson.

And STILL with all of that incredibly intense drama, all the animosity toward Dantoni, the extreme disatisfaction with a 27 win season even though their 1st team All Star Kobe Bryant was out for the season and their supposed starting point guard Nash was also out, even with ALL of that, teams like Utah managed to finish just a little bit worse than the Lakers.

So yeah, forget it. We're not going through that again. I think we've proven, even when we try our very hardest we still can't manage to be worse than the Utah Jazz. So **** it time to just start kicking some *** and winning some games. Phoenix thinks they're getting over because they got that pick, I'm looking forward to the Lakers showing up on their home court and kicking their butts. All these freakin' fantasy league teams, what a joke. HELLO there is a reason Kobe has 5 NBA championship rings and all of these jokers have exactly zero. Lebron has two. Wow. Kevin Love never even made the playoffs. Carmelo's never even had a sniff. Let's see some of these teams and players actually do something and then we can talk about how the Lakers are the most hopeless team in the NBA.

Thanks for this very entertaining write up and synopsis of all of the drama within and surrounding the lakers.

LA Sports talk radio was laker talk 24/7, 365 days a year during the kobe-shaq-phil "era" and during kobe's rape accusation.

As a non-laker fan who wanted to see phil return last season, I do tend to think of jim buss as an incompetent. I felt that jeannie, with her incredible grace in the public eye, charisma, and beauty, was a natural as team president. Whatever position jim buss holds, it should be of the least importance and weight within the org.

Then again, I don't follow the lakers closely: at least not anymore. I don't know exactly how important Jeannie is within the lakers vis a vis her brother, but if she fails in addition to jim, well, let's just hope that doesn't happen and hope they can turn things around.

BoSox47
07-15-2014, 11:34 PM

Boston got better by losing our most productive player last season in Kris Humphries? Zeller + Thornton isn't much of an upgrade at either position. Still have three main players in rondo, bradley and sullinger who are often injured. Smarts first year will be terrible. Celtics got worse from start of last season to this.

Sssmush
07-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks for this very entertaining write up and synopsis of all of the drama within and surrounding the lakers.

LA Sports talk radio was laker talk 24/7, 365 days a year during the kobe-shaq-phil "era" and during kobe's rape accusation.

As a non-laker fan who wanted to see phil return last season, I do tend to think of jim buss as an incompetent. I felt that jeannie, with her incredible grace in the public eye, charisma, and beauty, was a natural as team president. Whatever position jim buss holds, it should be of the least importance and weight within the org.

Then again, I don't follow the lakers closely: at least not anymore. I don't know exactly how important Jeannie is within the lakers vis a vis her brother, but if she fails in addition to jim, well, let's just hope that doesn't happen and hope they can turn things around.

yeah, I mean I understand the sentiment, the emotional side of it. Jeannie has prettier hair, and she smiles a lot on camera. So, it's just natural that people would embrace her as being sweeter and more non-threatening.

the animosity against Jim Buss, aside from all the hearsay memes created out of whole cloth by the talk radio folks, stems, I believe, from the fact that people were uncomfortable with an actual ordinary guy owning the Lakers, inheriting the team. This shows up in a lot of comments people make about Jim Buss. Whereas Jerry Buss was immune to criticism, having passed into a godlike state of basketball immortality and cosmic fatherhood, beloved by all, Jim Buss isn't even old and so some people are worried that he may be some kind of entitled rich-guy a-hole. This gets translated into him being labeled as obscenely incompetent--even though he's been 100% in Kupchak's corner the whole time, and has made strong moves to bring in CP3 and Dwight, and hasn't really made too many missteps. I mean everyone can look back at the Nash-Dantoni-Dwight season, but heading into that season almost every NBA analyst had the Lakers winning the title. So it's not fair to blame him for that. Yes, last season Dantoni seemed to regress a bit, or maybe it was just that the Lakers were tanking. But I don't see anybody crucifying Philadelphia's coach or GM. The Lakers had a sucky season, but that's no reason to jump off the Laker bandwagon if you ask me.

The interesting thing I'd point out to you is that the day that Phil Jackson left for New York, ALL the static and noise about the urgent need to remove Jim Buss just stopped in the media. There are still a few ragtag vestiges of it here and there, a bitter forum comment or a talk radio show host will grumble something about "that Jim Buss" or whatever, but that's just because it was built up so long that it became kind of a cliche. In reality, the whole "fire Jim Buss" media virus that completely overwhelmed most casual NBA media analysts as a kind of gospel truth was nothing but Phil Jackson conducting an extended campaign to be given presidency and part ownership of the Lakers. The fact that he was a successful coach here and that his girlfriend is one of the majority owners of the team, and that he had so much pull within the media, made that extremely powerful.

but in reality Mitch and Jim are doing a fine job with the cards they've been dealt, and all this drama and urgency and animosity drummed up against Jim Buss was just fake. That's all I can really say about it, it was just a fake story, a fake made up fabrication, that Jim Buss was a terrible team president and was at fault for everything. It's just bull****. I admire that Jim Buss just lets it sit there and keeps quietly trying to build the team and make it better. I trust him as the Lakers' owner and as the team president: he's not running for president and he doesn't have to campaign, he doesn't have to have Stephen A. Smith and Magic Johnson telling everybody he is a basketball legend. He approaches things the right way and I like that.

Jeannie is ok, but I think that everyone was shocked to hear her recent radio interview, where she admitted that she didn't understand the salary cap and that she doesn't concern herself with player personnel matters. She is a good charismatic front person and the Lakers are profitable, but there is no reason to pit her against Jim that is totally unnecessary.

ice_c
07-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Another great write up. I can't say I agree on every point, but then again, I don't follow the lakers' situation very closely anymore.

Now that Jackson is out of the picture and the apparent pressure to "remove" (?) jim buss is gone, we'll see how the lakers do with a little less drama.

LakersA's49ers
07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Hopefully bad enough to not give our pick away to PHX. WE NEED YOUTH

MickeyMgl
07-16-2014, 02:57 AM
yeah, I mean I understand the sentiment, the emotional side of it. Jeannie has prettier hair, and she smiles a lot on camera. So, it's just natural that people would embrace her as being sweeter and more non-threatening.

On the corporate side of it, she's smarter and more qualified, too. She has a degree from USC, and has been methodically building her resumé in the business of sports management for the past 35+ years. If her last name wasn't Buss, she'd still be a strong candidate for the position she has.

Jim, not so much. The only head of basketball operations in the NBA without either a strong basketball background or a college degree. How are free agents supposed to take him seriously?

Hotone1401
07-16-2014, 05:06 AM
As bad as the talent will be on this roster Kobe would still lead this crap team to the playoffs in the East.

Redrum187
07-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Yes, then the Bulls need to trade for Andrew Bogut, Amare Stoudemire, and Joe Johnson too!

PG: Derrick Rose (injuries make him a question mark) ($18.8)
SG: Kobe Bryant (getting old and injuries make him a question mark) ($23.5)
SF: Joe Johnson (injuries, age, and just random regression make him pretty average) ($23.1)
PF: Amare Stoudemire (injuries have made him essentially worthless) ($23.4)
C : Andrew Bogut (injuries have downgraded him into only a decent center for the rare sightings he is healthy enough to be on the court) ($13.0)

Complete team for only $101.8!!! Bulls owner would love that.

Sssmush
07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
On the corporate side of it, she's smarter and more qualified, too. She has a degree from USC, and has been methodically building her resumé in the business of sports management for the past 35+ years. If her last name wasn't Buss, she'd still be a strong candidate for the position she has.

Jim, not so much. The only head of basketball operations in the NBA without either a strong basketball background or a college degree. How are free agents supposed to take him seriously?

For myself... you know we've all had those fantasies since we were teenagers of what if we owned an NBA team or an NFL team? You know?

Just like on this forum, on the ESPN trade machine, everybody in here feels like they could take a stab at putting a winning NBA team together. And we've seen a lot of these dusty old owners or corporations make astoundingly bad decisions sometimes, and we've also seen teams like the Clippers where there seems to be a culture that just doesn't seem fun. And probably everybody in this forum thinks they could do better.

So who am I to criticize a guy who grew up and spent practically his whole life around the Lakers? Who was raised at the knee of Jerry Buss and Jerry West. Who was probably probably front row and backstage at every legendary Showtime Laker championship, who probably went to practices and got to shoot around with Magic and Kareem, probably went fishing with those guys. Somebody who has worked together on an equal footing with Mitch Kupchak for a decade and has been president of basketball ops for two NBA championships. Somebody who has an elite team of statistical quants at his disposal, and seems very unassuming and very motivated and self-effacing and only interested in being good at his job.

I mean so what if Jeannie has an MBA or whatever. That's apples and oranges. And we all know that in today's world if you really want to learn something you can learn it, you don't need to go join a frat house and live on campus for four years. If somebody can afford it, and they want to learn about marketing, they can have top experts fly in and spend a week teaching them and explaining what they need to learn and what they should be studying.

I mean what college program is going to teach somebody more about pro basketball than you could learn from Jerry Buss, Jerry West, Mitch Kupchak, etc etc. ? I mean the guy is one of the owners of the team. I don't see why everybody has to be so negative. And if you have real points to make, fine, but just saying you don't like him, or that Jeannie is more educated, or that one of the scouts was a bartender or something, those aren't actual points. I've watched the Lakers quite a lot and I like the way the team is starting to rebuild. They let Pau walk which was really smart, and they're rebuilding young. And they'll have a lot of options. That's all I'm saying, how about everybody just relax and let themselves feel good about the Lakers. Just relax everything will be fine. The front office is working hard and Mitch Kupchak is a very good GM. We can all just sit back and enjoy the ride because the Lakers will be fine.