PDA

View Full Version : 19 players chosen for Olympic roster

chi-townlove1
07-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Derrick Rose, 4 returning Olympic champions among 19 picked for US men's basketball roster

Published July 14, 2014
Associated Press

Derrick Rose and four returnees from the 2012 Olympic men's basketball champions are among the 19 players selected for this summer's U.S. national team roster.

Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, James Harden and Anthony Davis were the four holdovers announced Monday, along with new additions DeMar DeRozan of Toronto and Chandler Parsons, who is leaving Houston for Dallas.

Players will report to training camp in Las Vegas this month, with the roster cut to 12 for the World Cup of Basketball in Spain.

Rose is trying to make the team after his NBA season was cut short by another knee operation.

The rest of the roster: Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson (Golden State), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland), Blake Griffin (Clippers), Paul George (Indiana), Damian Lillard (Portland), Gordon Hayward (Utah), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento), Bradley Beal (Washington), Andre Drummond (Detroit), Kenneth Faried (Denver) and Kyle Korver (Atlanta).

YAALREADYKNO
07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
no westbrook?

chi-townlove1
07-14-2014, 11:01 AM
no westbrook?

Apparently not. With rose lillard Kyrie and Steph

FYL_McVeezy
07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Apparently not. With rose lillard Kyrie and Steph

I thought he decided to sit out?

Hellcrooner
07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Considering they BARELY beat Spain in 08 and 12 olympics not sending the best of the best may not be a brilliant idea considering spain will be playing Home.

chi-townlove1
07-14-2014, 11:58 AM
I just realized Chris Paul isn't on there. Why is that?

likemystylez
07-14-2014, 12:02 PM
honestly not sure what kyle korver is doing on there....

also my guess is that cousins gets cut and sent home within the first week for starting a fight over the last belgiam waffle at a team breakfast

PurpleLynch
07-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Considering they BARELY beat Spain in 08 and 12 olympics not sending the best of the best may not be a brilliant idea considering spain will be playing Home.

Well,I guess a starting lineup of Curry,Harden,Durant,Davis,Cousins should hand well Spain.
Plus,a bench composed by Lillard,Beal,Parsons/George,Griffin,Drummond is nice(Crashing the offensive glass+passing to the open three.)

astonmartin10
07-14-2014, 12:21 PM
US still has huge advantage.

PurpleLynch
07-14-2014, 12:28 PM
honestly not sure what kyle korver is doing on there....

also my guess is that cousins gets cut and sent home within the first week for starting a fight over the last belgiam waffle at a team breakfast

A good shooter is always a must have against euro nations. But I agree,maybe they could add someone else.

Cousins is hard to handle,but coach K knew how to do it. Plus,Cousins is still one of the best "real"(not pf playing C) centers in the league right now,surely top 5(Noah,Gasol,Howard,Cousins..then?)

likemystylez
07-14-2014, 12:29 PM

I dont think the talent level on the US has ever or will ever be the reason they lose. LOL the us players kinda treat the games as more of a novelty show- than a real competition. LOL its almost like a celebrity all star game- where other countries think its a big deal.

YAALREADYKNO
07-14-2014, 12:30 PM
wait is this the 2016 olympic roster or this yrs fiba world cup roster?

cmellofan15
07-14-2014, 12:36 PM

didn't BARELY win in '08, they won by 11 and Wade crushed them. and even though the game was close in '12, they still won by 7.

and their former best player, Pau, is now 34. now that Spain doesn't have the better core of big men, the US should be a lot better equipped to beat them.

again.

Vinny642
07-14-2014, 12:40 PM
A mutherloving D!

I still remember this-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-HWdsKMfMc

slashsnake
07-14-2014, 12:42 PM
A good shooter is always a must have against euro nations. But I agree,maybe they could add someone else.

Cousins is hard to handle,but coach K knew how to do it. Plus,Cousins is still one of the best "real"(not pf playing C) centers in the league right now,surely top 5(Noah,Gasol,Howard,Cousins..then?)

well the PF playing center has seemed a better fit in international play. Think Bosh vs. Howard a couple of Olympics ago or Love vs. Chandler in the last one or Odom vs. Chandler in the 2010 FIBA games (Odom was the starting center for the US that year I think). It goes all the way back to the dream team, where Barkley and Malone were killing it over Ewing and Robinson. It just seems to fit the game better when guys like the Gasol's, Scola, Diaw, Nene, Splitter, Ibaka, and Varejao and such are your opponents best bigs. Much more talent there than Mozgov.

I think its just how international play works. You can camp another guy in the paint as long as you want there, doubling a 7 footer without the ball in the paint is ok. You have a shorter three line, where Bosh and Love can tear it up, and same with opponents, making defending the 3 a big part of all players games. I am sure there are other rules that favor too, bigger paint area maybe, not a pro here on international ball, just my observation.

As for why there isn't this star or that one... remember this is FIBA, not the olympics. 4 years ago there was no Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Kobe, etc. It was up and comers and star but not superstar vets. Billups, Durant, Love, Rose, Westbrook, Chandler, Gay, Gordon, Grainger, Igoudala, Jeff Green, Odom, Rondo, and Brook Lopez. Then when the Olympics came around Lebron, Kobe, Melo, CP3, Deron all joined and Bosh and Wade would have had they been healthy and rested enough. Like it or not, the big name stars seem to only want to spend one off-season every 4 years playing, and they choose the Olympics over the FIBA year. Same happened in 06. Kobe Duncan, Amare, Arenas, McGrady, Shaq... I wouldn't be surprised to see those big names on that roster once the Olympic team is chosen again. This year is more the get experience in international ball and a tryout for the Olympic team.

chi-townlove1
07-14-2014, 12:45 PM
wait is this the 2016 olympic roster or this yrs fiba world cup roster?

This years roster I believe

JustinTime
07-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Actually it probably is a brilliant idea, a team should be built for chemistry not just star power.

JustinTime
07-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Is James done now?

PurpleLynch
07-14-2014, 01:04 PM
well the PF playing center has seemed a better fit in international play. Think Bosh vs. Howard a couple of Olympics ago. It just seems to fit the game better when guys like the Gasol's and Varejao and such are your opponents best bigs.

As for why there isn't this star or that one... remember this is FIBA, not the olympics. 4 years ago there was no Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Kobe, etc. It was up and comers and star but not superstar vets. Billups, Durant, Love, Rose, Westbrook, Chandler, Gay, Gordon, Grainger, Igoudala, Jeff Green, Odom, Rondo, and Brook Lopez. Then when the Olympics came around Lebron, Kobe, Melo, CP3, Deron all joined and Bosh and Wade would have had they been healthy and rested enough. Like it or not, the big name stars seem to only want to spend one off-season every 4 years playing, and they choose the Olympics over the FIBA year. Same happened in 06. Kobe Duncan, Amare, Arenas, McGrady, Shaq... I wouldn't be surprised to see those big names on that roster once the Olympic team is chosen again. This year is more the get experience in international ball and a tryout for the Olympic team.

Yes,I didn't think about that,you are right,but since they added Durant who is very experienced imo in international basketball I was thinking about a will to win this year.
Anyway,I agree about the PF/C argument,but that's because "real centers" usually don't have a lot of a skill that a lot of pfs have:good passing skill,mid and three point shot,mobility etc.
Well,I think Cousins at least has a good offensive game,also good two point shot,plus he should dominate against any center on the glass. Plus,he averaged 2.9 assists,that's pretty good for a young center.

slashsnake
07-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Is James done now?

Maybe... I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped the 2016 Olympics, but he wasn't on the 2010 FIBA team either, same as a lot of NBA A listers. He's already played in 3 Olympics. But would be younger in 2016 than Larry or Magic.

slashsnake
07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Yes,I didn't think about that,you are right,but since they added Durant who is very experienced imo in international basketball I was thinking about a will to win this year.
Anyway,I agree about the PF/C argument,but that's because "real centers" usually don't have a lot of a skill that a lot of pfs have:good passing skill,mid and three point shot,mobility etc.
Well,I think Cousins at least has a good offensive game,also good two point shot,plus he should dominate against any center on the glass. Plus,he averaged 2.9 assists,that's pretty good for a young center.

Dead on...

I think you need one and I do like Cousins. There are moments when they can come in handy. But I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing short stretches only. Kind of that starter who plays the first 8 minutes of each half and that is it, and sees more minutes in a couple games vs. the few teams that do run a real center.

goingfor28
07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Love this! Can't wait l! :flag:

slashsnake
07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
another reason for Lebron might be the same reason that probably was part of his 2010 skip. He has a pregnant wife and 2 kids he needs to move and a new team and coaching staff he needs to get to work with. Something tells me "hey hon, get us moved... I'll be in Vegas a few weeks then off to spain" might not be the best thing for him to tell her lol.

JustinTime
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
who does the US have coming up for the future because it seems like the top tier talent is dropping off a bit as of late.

Jetsguy
07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
At only 32ish I would be shocked if the final olympic team did not include Lebron, Melo, CP3 etc.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2014, 01:22 PM
well the PF playing center has seemed a better fit in international play. Think Bosh vs. Howard a couple of Olympics ago or Love vs. Chandler in the last one or Odom vs. Chandler in the 2010 FIBA games (Odom was the starting center for the US that year I think). It goes all the way back to the dream team, where Barkley and Malone were killing it over Ewing and Robinson. It just seems to fit the game better when guys like the Gasol's, Scola, Diaw, Nene, Splitter, Ibaka, and Varejao and such are your opponents best bigs. Much more talent there than Mozgov.

I think its just how international play works. You can camp another guy in the paint as long as you want there, doubling a 7 footer without the ball in the paint is ok. You have a shorter three line, where Bosh and Love can tear it up, and same with opponents, making defending the 3 a big part of all players games. I am sure there are other rules that favor too, bigger paint area maybe, not a pro here on international ball, just my observation.

in the last fiba some of the best players on argentina, spain and france didn participate either.
Not the case this year .

Hellcrooner
07-14-2014, 01:24 PM
who does the US have coming up for the future because it seems like the top tier talent is dropping off a bit as of late.

its also shrinking for international players.

I dont see the "star" replacements for Parker, Manu, Peja, Dirk, Pau, Ming either.

JustinTime
07-14-2014, 01:28 PM
its also shrinking for international players.

I dont see the "star" replacements for Parker, Manu, Peja, Dirk, Pau, Ming either.

The Us is still producing but I don't see any new superstar players for them. Internationally, Canada and Australia are becoming powerhouses though but other countries are on their way out.

mavwar53
07-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Klay Thompson isn't good.

lamzoka
07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
This is the FIBA World Cup roster, NOT the Olympics

The Olympic's roster will most likely be.
Bron
Melo
CP3
Curry
KD
Love
Blake
Harden
ETC...

kdspurman
07-14-2014, 01:54 PM

kozelkid
07-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Talent will never be a question for US in the world stage. I know you defend the Internation game as much as anyone (and in some cases deservedly so), but the main question for US is taking their players and making them work from a chemistry standpoint. However, from a talent standpoint, US still is clearly the top in the world by a good enough margin.