PDA

View Full Version : Are The Chicago Bulls the Best Team in the East?

shaht96
07-14-2014, 10:36 AM
After signing Pau Gasol and assuming Derrick Rose is back to full health, the Bulls starting 5 consists of:
Rose
Butler
McDermott/Mirotic?
Gasol
Noah

Holydiver
07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
this won't end well

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Is MJ coming back too? Making health related assumptions about Rose seems like a fruitless endeavor.

It's Cleveland for me.

FYL_McVeezy
07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
The Bulls have a great starting 5 with a healthy Rose, and adding Gasol, but I'm not sure we can anoint them just yet, maybe. You still have Indy(even though it looks like their losing Lance) and we still have to see if Love gets shipped to the Cavs....but for now I guess I won't argue if you want to put them there....I really like their starting 5 and adding Mirotic, and Mcbuckets strengthens their bench a lot.

Holydiver
07-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Cleveland wont win the East imo. 33 wins last year or something like that? I guess if they get Love then they could.

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
^wut?

Lebron has won 60 games by himself before. Love is a career loser, not quite sure I follow.

shaht96
07-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Unless Cleveland gets Love, I feel like LeBron is going to have the problem he has always had, not having a legitimate big man

Holydiver
07-14-2014, 10:45 AM
^wut?

Lebron has won 60 games by himself before. Love is a career loser, not quite sure I follow.

60 games? I am quite sure you don't follow much of anything.

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Love is a *****, and is hardly a legitimate big man. AV was tearing it up before he got injured, he is a much better "big" if he can stay on the floor. I'm not suggesting he's a better player than Love (that would be foolish, but AV has a better fit as a defensive big).

Regardless, again, Lebron has won the east by himself before.

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 10:49 AM

What are you crying about?

If the question is who will win the east in the regular season, the answer is Cleveland. If the question is who will make it to the finals, I don't see what's a safer pick then the team who just signed the best player in the world.

Feel free to have a different opinion, but challenging me isn't going to work out in your favor.

ManRam
07-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I think so but there are a lot of questions, however. I think it can go REALLY REALLY good this year, but at the same time there's enough room for error that who knows.

I think it will take Cleveland sometime. LeBron has shown he can carry lesser teams to insane records, but this is a much different roster. He might not have that great team defense to lean on. I'd certainly put money on Chicago winning the East over Cleveland at this point in time.

Holydiver
07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
What is your point? Your insulting me for providing facts, and you've said nothing. Be quiet.

A fact? Lebron won 60 games by himself is a fact? Sounds subjective to me. You deal in hyperbole.

ZebraCity916
07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
^wut?

What he's talking about is when LeBron was on the Cavs before. They had a 60 win season. And then when LeBron left, the team was the worst team in the league. Like 15 wins that season, or something ridiculous.

FOXHOUND
07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Let's wait and see if Rose is even healthy enough to play for team USA first, then let's see how he's capable of playing, then let's start to speculate.

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 10:54 AM
lol, ok. He had a little help. Significantly less than he will this season, and he managed to win 60 games.

You deal in semantics, sweet dude.

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 10:55 AM
What he's talking about is when LeBron was on the Cavs before. They had a 60 win season. And then when LeBron left, the team was the worst team in the league. Like 15 wins that season, or something ridiculous.

He knows what I'm talking about. He's a weak *** who had no argument so he's trying to find a loop hole in mine.

Holydiver
07-14-2014, 10:58 AM
As the roster is currently built, he won't have significantly more help. Read his letter on SI, he admits they will struggle. I only said they won't win the East.

PhuQ Monroe.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-14-2014, 10:58 AM
no

Jarvo
07-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Bulls are the favorites for me to win the east if the Pacers can't get it together, I don't think the Cavs go this year because Love is good but slighty overrated and that team is too young.

DR_1
07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
I don't think there is a favorite in the East this year, unless the Cavs get Love.

Holydiver
07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Bulls are the favorites for me to win the east if the Pacers can't get it together, I don't think the Cavs go this year because Love is good but slighty overrated and that team is too young.

Someone understands ball in this thread.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if the Bulls were the best of the east this year.

RLundi
07-14-2014, 11:06 AM
As the roster is currently built, he won't have significantly more help. Read his letter on SI, he admits they will struggle. I only said they won't win the East.

PhuQ Monroe.

Who will then? Certainly not the Bulls, if that's what you're arguing. It's difficult to bank on Rose's health. And even if he is healthy, the Cavs have enough talent to win the conference.

I don't agree with 60 wins, whoever said that. No one in the East will win that. But Cleveland has the most talent (tbd anyway) out of the supposed top teams (Cavs, Pacers, Bulls, Wizards) and they have LeBron James. He alone nearly guarantees 50 wins. You think the depth of his teammates won't fill in the rest?

pebloemer
07-14-2014, 11:08 AM
I really love the makeup of the Bulls roster. A healthy Rose could even put them in contention for a title in my opinion. Although I'm skeptical Rose will ever be the player he was before his injuries.

Rose, McDermott, Mirotic, Butler, Gasol, Gibson, Noah with Thibs coaching is the best group of players/coach on paper in the Eastern Conference in my opinion.

As a personal observation, watching the Spurs in the playoffs reminded me how much I enjoy watching big men who know how to move to ball effectively. The Bulls should have two of those guys in Noah and Gasol.

MonroeFAN
07-14-2014, 11:10 AM

PhuQ Monroe.

ZOMG settle down tough guy. I love how you continued on in providing your basketball related wisdom as if anyone cares.

kingkenny01
07-14-2014, 11:11 AM
gasol played 65, 49, 60 games the last 3 seasons that's not good but they very deep at the 4 with taj and mirotic, derrick rose has problems staying on the court, honestly I think cavs are the favorite because it seems more likely than not injuries will derail bulls but healthy bulls are better than the cavs

shaht96
07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
The Bulls success I think is on Rose's shoulders...or rather his knees

mudvayne387
07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
No, I will state the obvious. If D-Rose can not stay healthy, then they are a 4-5 seed in the East. Thibs for all the credit he gets, runs his players ragged and it showed last season.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Very bad thread.

I feel in the East whatever team LBJ is on should be the favorite to come out of the east. We'll see though. Bulls add Rose, Mirotic, McDermoot, and Gasol and lost Boozer and Augustin.

I have them at about 54-58 wins assuming Rose plays 75% or more of the season. Indy and Cleveland will be right there with them.

Can't say their the best though until we see Rose stay healthy, see what happens with Love and Cle, and see what Indy does with Lance.

ackar
07-14-2014, 11:26 AM
No the Bulls are not the best team in the east right now. I wish it was so but not just yet.

LakersIn5
07-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I dont know why people still dont believe that lebron can lead this cavs team to a top seed. Lebron already led a horrible cavs team before with ilgauskas and mo williams as his best teamates. They won 60+ games and got the no.1 seed on a better eastern conference than todays eastern conference.

chitown85
07-14-2014, 11:32 AM
No the Bulls are not the best team in the east right now. I wish it was so but not just yet.

Yes, agree. Hard to say who is at this point. I think the Bulls frontcourt has a lot of potential; might possibly develop into one of the best front courts in the game. But, Rose's health/productivity is still a huge question mark and I think our backcourt is a little suspect (until I see otherwise). So Bulls are a top team in the East, but hard to say they are "the" team at this point.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2014, 11:45 AM
100% Rose = TITLE CONTENDER

75% Rose = could make COnference finals at most

25% Rose= 1st round exit.

No Rose= may make playoffs may not.

cssdmark
07-14-2014, 11:46 AM
No

Captain Moroni
07-14-2014, 11:49 AM
this won't end well

I was thinking the same thiing.

nycericanguy
07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Noah, Rose & Gasol would worry me a bit.

Noah will be 30 and he's played a TON of minutes lately, and those are Thibs minutes, not regular minutes. He's played hurt a lot and shouldered a lot more than he should have.

I could see CHI winning 60 games, but I could also see them winning around 46 if the injury issues pop up.

And I dunno, losing Boozer might hurt, he got a lot of slack but he gave them a fairly efficient 15 & 9 most nights and only missed 9 total games the last 2 years.

Captain Moroni
07-14-2014, 11:54 AM
If Boozer is Amnestied as believed. you just know he will end up in Cleveland. On the cheap fighting for his next contract.
Cleveland is not finished yet. As of today, the Bulls are a top 3 team by the time the season starts, Cleveland might be the New Miami, and Indiana is already better. Washington is pretty good as well. NY when the dust settles with a whole new cast and approach could be a lot better.

Rose's health is the big question. Recent history is NOT on his side.

Captain Moroni
07-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Don't forget Miami as well. They are still a playoff team. As is Brooklyn.

jerellh528
07-14-2014, 11:56 AM
I dunno why people think the cavs will easily be the number 1 seed. Miami couldn't even get the number one seed last year with a much better constructed team than the cavs. Especially defensively and shooting.

smith&wesson
07-14-2014, 11:57 AM
After signing Pau Gasol and assuming Derrick Rose is back to full health, the Bulls starting 5 consists of:
Rose
Butler
McDermott/Mirotic?
Gasol
Noah

duped account ? I find it hard to believe you already had an nba thread out on your 8th post. trolling bulls fans ?

chi-townlove1
07-14-2014, 12:00 PM
No we're not the best. Cleveland automatically is, it's Lebron. Any team he is on is automatically better. Just depends on if he has surrounding cast to compliment him enough

nycericanguy
07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
I dunno why people think the cavs will easily be the number 1 seed. Miami couldn't even get the number one seed last year with a much better constructed team than the cavs. Especially defensively and shooting.

CLE has had talent... they were just too young.

Lebron will lead that team and slide everyone down a notch. Irving as a #1 isn't good, but he's a great #2. Waiters a solid # 3, Thompson #4...etc...

Everyone slides down a notch and they now have a great closer and leader.

Wiggins is a huge wildcard too, Bennett also.

They need to add a couple of vets, but talent wise they are stacked and there's no other player in the world that can orchestrate that talent than LBJ. I mean just the fact that they added him will have his teammates psyched!

c smooth1810
07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I got the east like this if everyone is healthy

1.) Cavs
2.) Pacers
3.) Bulls
4.) Wiz
5.) Heat
6.) Raptors
7.) Nets
8.) Hawks/Hornets/Knicks/Pistons fighting for that last spot

bobmhs27
07-14-2014, 12:05 PM
A lot of things going on here. First off, LeBron's Heat last year won 54 games so to guarantee a 60 Win Cleveland team is a bit absurd, especially without Bosh or Wade even though Kyrie is there. Still a lot to be settled though and The Bulls may be the deepest and Thibs gets all he can from his players. A lot is contingent on Rose though and as a Bulls fan he is one more awkward landing away from never being a starter again. I like the fact that they have taken the long routes in his rehab but they still need to last through 82 games + at least 16 if the Bulls are win a championship. Melo would have put them as a no brainer favorite but the east is wide open and the development of younger guys is most likely going to determine who wins it.

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 12:14 PM
With no Rose, no real backup C to speak of, and no outside shooting outside of Dunleavy, we still managed to win nearly 50 games. Add in Gasol who can play minutes at the 5, Mirotic and Doug to provide shooting and floor spacing, a hopefully improved Tony Snell, and the biggest unknown but potentially biggest factor in Rose being healthy, the Bulls could very easily be the top seed in the East this year. Miami didnt get the number 1 seed last year so for people to act like it's Clevelands spot is pretty ridiculous. The East is wide open this year, simple as that. Every team has a lot to prove and no team is worthy of being penciled in at number 1.

smiddy012
07-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Ish like that is what Bulls fans don't get. Cuz they're basically a shoe-in without Rose even - if history is any indication.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-14-2014, 12:16 PM

45 wins and 48 wins in the 2 seasons without Rose, good for at worst the 5th seed. Added Pau, Mirotic, McDermott. Lost Boozer and Augustin. Pretty sure they won't see the lottery.

beasted86
07-14-2014, 12:19 PM

This simplified deductive reasoning doesn't stand true. Are you essentially saying the addition of LeBron is worth 30 wins to the Cavs that won 33 last year by himself?

The Miami HEAT in 2009/10 won 47 games before adding LeBron. One year later with LeBron, Miami won 58 games for 2010/11.

It's clear the math is not adding up.

The team's offense plays a factor, but mainly it's defense that is the deciding factor. Between 09/10 and 10/11 Miami went from 19th offense and 6th defense to 3rd offense and 5th defense. With LeBron the offense improved significantly, but it did not account for an enormous shift in wins until the playoffs.

The 09/10 Cavs were 6th defensively and dropped to 29th defensively without LeBron the next season. Last year's Cavs were 19th defensively. While I have no doubt LeBron will improve their offense right away which was 22nd, I'm not sure how far he can move the needle defensively. The HEAT were only 11th last year with him and it was an issue all year. How quickly the Cavs can come together defensively (not sure how defensive minded their coach is anyhow) is where the significant improvement will come from. If they don't immediately move into the top 5-6, no way they win the East.

Shammyguy3
07-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Noah, Rose & Gasol would worry me a bit.

Noah will be 30 and he's played a TON of minutes lately, and those are Thibs minutes, not regular minutes. He's played hurt a lot and shouldered a lot more than he should have.

I could see CHI winning 60 games, but I could also see them winning around 46 if the injury issues pop up.

And I dunno, losing Boozer might hurt, he got a lot of slack but he gave them a fairly efficient 15 & 9 most nights and only missed 9 total games the last 2 years.

Boozer's efficiency in 2013 was 51.0ts% and a 101 ORtg on a 25.8usg%.
Boozer's efficiency in 2014 was 48.9ts% and a 95 ORtg on a 26.3usg%.

Boozer's been **** efficiency wise for two years now. Seriously, Josh Smith bad.

pebloemer
07-14-2014, 12:25 PM
I got the east like this if everyone is healthy

1.) Cavs
2.) Pacers
3.) Bulls
4.) Wiz
5.) Heat
6.) Raptors
7.) Nets
8.) Hawks/Hornets/Knicks/Pistons fighting for that last spot

I think the Hawks will be much better than people think. They are essentially adding Horford, Sefolosha and Payne to last year's group. They are well coached, have a strong, deep front court, with good defenders and shooters on the wing.

We can't really count on what will happen in free agency, but they still have cap space too to add more pieces.

I don't have issue with the rest of your list. Although the Heat still have lots of work to do to fill out that roster no? Wade, Deng and Bosh can be a nice foundation (better than nice if Wade is healthy) but they are going to need supporting cast.

smiddy012
07-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Rose
Butler
McDermott/Mirotic?
Gasol
Noah

First off, it very well may be MDJ who starts at the 3, especially if the roster stands as is.

Second, how well the Bulls do will be largely limited by how well their 3 plays. MDJ obviously isn't your ideal starter, but he's the safest option to start the season with.

How well the Bulls play will largely depend on, besides health, how our young players develop. McDermott, Snell, & Mirotic all have the potential to get decent minutes at the 3, if not start, the way this team is built. If you see one of them develop into a starting quality 3 (or 2 in Snells case, cuz JB can always slide over), I think the Bulls will have a very good chance of coming out of the East.

hotadef
07-14-2014, 12:38 PM
i believe unless some one makes trades that on paper bulls would be team to beat.
rose/hinrinch
butler/ snell mcdermot
dunleavy/ nikola mcdermot
gasol/taj/bairtstow/randal
noah/taj/gasol
gasol is more efficient than boozer, his height he alters lots of shots, he has i think triple the amount of blocks that boozer had and is a great passer. our height alone will cause problems dunleavy is like 6ft 10 at sf. we now have more shooters this team is a playoff team with out rose and depending on match up they would be in second round with out him. with rose at 100% they should be in finals. cavs is young they should make noise but experience will be the achilles heel.

FlashBolt
07-14-2014, 12:41 PM
So we're talking about Rose - who was injured 10 games when he first attempted a comeback. Two blown knees. I don't think he's ever coming back 100%. Chicago has nothing to suggest they are the top dog. Sure, you have Gasol now but not enough to sway anyone. Joakim Noah IMO is the MVP of Chicago. He's the only reason they consistently manage to be able to compete. Him and Jimmy Butler's defense are what makes Chicago dangerous. Not Rose, Boozer, or anyone else for that matter.

I don't know the deal with Carlos Boozer but how do you make Noah, Boozer, and Gasol work? They should have amnestied Boozer and find a scorer.

PartyPoison15
07-14-2014, 12:43 PM
The east is wide open. Too hard to tell who the "best" team in the east is.

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 12:45 PM
So we're talking about Rose - who was injured 10 games when he first attempted a comeback. Two blown knees. I don't think he's ever coming back 100%. Chicago has nothing to suggest they are the top dog. Sure, you have Gasol now but not enough to sway anyone. Joakim Noah IMO is the MVP of Chicago. He's the only reason they consistently manage to be able to compete. Him and Jimmy Butler's defense are what makes Chicago dangerous. Not Rose, Boozer, or anyone else for that matter.

I don't know the deal with Carlos Boozer but how do you make Noah, Boozer, and Gasol work? They should have amnestied Boozer and find a scorer.

Well, Boozer's not gonna be on the team and the last time Rose was healthy we had the best record in the league and went to the ECF. I'm skeptical of him ever coming back and playing at an MVP level, but I still think he could be all-star caliber. You're right about Jo, though. In Derrick's absence, it's been Jo and Thibs carrying the Bulls. But to say Rose doesn't make Chicago dangerous is all kinds of silly. If he's healthy, he makes us extremely dangerous...and he doesn't need to play at an MVP level. Just 85-90% of his best season would be huge.

mRc08
07-14-2014, 12:52 PM
we will be good next season. If derrick is healthy we could be the #1 seed in the east. Cavs and pacers will be atop the conference as well, but with a healthy derrick I would give us a slight favorite. If rose gets injured or isn't the same player, I think we are just as capable of being a top 3 seed.

Our team is already vastly improved from last year. We pretty much have addressed our weaknesses in poor shooting and boozers worthlessness. We were not able to secure a player that could "create their own shot", but who really knows how mcdermott, mirotic, snell, or butler even will develop. Any of those guys may improve from last season and become better offensive players. All in all I think we are going to be very competitive next season, and IF rose is healthy I'd say we are contenders. Not sure if we could beat anyone coming out of the west, we would basically need everyone to step up their game and improve.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2014, 12:55 PM
With no Rose, no real backup C to speak of, and no outside shooting outside of Dunleavy, we still managed to win nearly 50 games. Add in Gasol who can play minutes at the 5, Mirotic and Doug to provide shooting and floor spacing, a hopefully improved Tony Snell, and the biggest unknown but potentially biggest factor in Rose being healthy, the Bulls could very easily be the top seed in the East this year. Miami didnt get the number 1 seed last year so for people to act like it's Clevelands spot is pretty ridiculous. The East is wide open this year, simple as that. Every team has a lot to prove and no team is worthy of being penciled in at number 1.

Pau will play half his minutes at center when Noah rests.

Pau playing center is top 10 at that position.

So, that is not an issue.

Captain Moroni
07-14-2014, 12:57 PM

just a thought....so they still managed to win nearly 50 games, but now will lose Boozer who was a huge part of that. Hinrich is probably gone as well and Augustin played out of his mind. if you are looking at the additions you must be fair and not forget the subtractions.

beasted86
07-14-2014, 12:57 PM
While everything could come together for them, when we are talking about "favorites" or best team, it would make more sense to talk about what you "expect" rather than what "might" happen per se.

Bulls could finish with the best record, but few expect it. I definitely expect them to make the playoffs whether Rose is there or not.

Quinnsanity
07-14-2014, 01:00 PM
They need one more wing who plays defense (Marion?) and one more ball-handler (trade Dunleavy for Nate Robinson if the Nuggets miss out on Miller?) and they're set. Just imagine a Rose/Butler/Marion/Gibson/Noah lineup with Hinrich/Nate/McDermott/Mirotic/Gasol off of the bench. Awesome team.

Captain Moroni
what if a slowed down Rose can't give you what DJ gave you?

Hellcrooner
So, Boozer vs Pau

Post Play : Pau
Back to the basket game : Pau
Jumpshot: Boozer.....by a very small margin.
COurt visiůn: Pau
Passing:Pau
Basketball Iq: Pau
Rebounding :Pau
Defense:...................jesus christ.... both of them but still Pau given height........
Blocking: Pau

dont see how anyone could doubt he is an upgrade.

And No, Pau is not going to come from the bench, he will start.
I think by deadline if Mirotic is proving he is Good enough Taj Gibson gets traded for a Wing.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2014, 01:05 PM
just a thought....so they still managed to win nearly 50 games, but now will lose Boozer who was a huge part of that. Hinrich is probably gone as well and Augustin played out of his mind. if you are looking at the additions you must be fair and not forget the subtractions.

Hinrich was brought back not to mention they won 50 with him as a starter....thats comical. Also boozer is awful. They didn't even play him in the 4th quarter in a lot of games :laugh2:

Tony_Starks
07-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Between them and Miami, depending on who jells the fastest. I tend to lean towards the Bulls with Thibs coaching....

chitown85
07-14-2014, 01:08 PM
For people who don't watch our games, and have the audacity to say "losing" Boozer is any kind of a loss:

"He no longer can score in isolation at all, though truth be told, he was never that good at it for Chicago anyway. He draws no fouls, hits no threes, and shoots mostly fade away jumpers at a pedestrian rate.

When Boozer can't score, he's dead weight on the floor because he sure isn't helping anyone defensively. That said, the Bulls need someone to chew up some minutes, and at least Boozer can do that better than Nazr Mohammed. Maybe."

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bulls-confidential/2014/04/espns-new-stat-shows-carlos-boozer-as-one-of-the-worst-players-in-nba/

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 01:10 PM

I'm talking about last year....

hotadef
07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
now i dont know if rose will get hurt again but for that matter anyone can get hurt. but i work in the health field i schedule knee surgeries daily. and the acl was the big one he fully recovered from that the mcl is minor he could of had the quick procedure done and came back with in two months but that is what wade did. he did the repair with takes longer to heal. his future still bright. one thing you got to realize is mcl tears can go un notice and if you dont play professional sport you may never know. i guarantee you someone on this site has a small tear right now. so give the young man a chance

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 01:12 PM

What are you taking about? Boozer wasn't a huge part of anything and he's been replaced by Gasol. Clear upgrade there and Hinrich already signed. We lost DJ, I'll give you that, but if Rose is healthy it doesn't matter. And if Rose isn't healthy, DJ isn't going to be what puts us over the top. He clearly had little impact against the Wiz.

Stunner
07-14-2014, 01:15 PM

He's talking about last year .......

shaht96
07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Anyone knows Bulls cap situation? After Gasol, and assuming they amnesty Boozer?

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
If they had acquired Carmelo Anthony, I would be inclined to say they'd at least be the 2nd best team in the East. Their bench makes me wonder, as they lost Augustin. I think McDermott will be a good rookie, but who else do they have on the bench? Butler, Gibson, Hinrich? It all depends on D-Rose being healthy. Plus they still have Boozer, who used to be a good player.

chitown85
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
What are you taking about? Boozer wasn't a huge part of anything and he's been replaced by Gasol. Clear upgrade there and Hinrich already signed. We lost DJ, I'll give you that, but if Rose is healthy it doesn't matter. And if Rose isn't healthy, DJ isn't going to be what puts us over the top. He clearly had little impact against the Wiz.

Obvious to anyone who actually follows the team/watches them play more than a few games a season (ie when they play your team). The Turd looked like an AllStar at times in our system, Nate Robinson looked like the "truth," and DJ is just another name to throw out there that our system made look good. We brought Hinrich back (a much more crucial piece, especially if he finds his touch again...). Losing DJ is also not a big loss imo; efficiency wise SNELL is better (if only he could dribble...). Gasol, McBuckets (potential wise), and Mirotic are a huge upgrade compared to losing the BOOZER (who rode the pine in the 4th quarter..) and a journeyman byproduct of our system...

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
If they had acquired Carmelo Anthony, I would be inclined to say they'd at least be the 2nd best team in the East. Their bench makes me wonder, as they lost Augustin. I think McDermott will be a good rookie, but who else do they have on the bench? Butler, Gibson, Hinrich? It all depends on D-Rose being healthy. Plus they still have Boozer, who used to be a good player.

Our bench right now is Kirk, Snell, McDermott, Mirotic, Taj, and Bairstow. If that's a weak bench, I'll take that all day.

chitown85
07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
what if a slowed down Rose can't give you what DJ gave you?

Then Rose should retire...

king4day
07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
I have Chicago best in the east on paper (health is the factor).
Won't shock me if the Cavs put a bid in for Boozer when he's amnestied.

Stunner
07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
The 10 game rose was still better than DJ outside of FG %

Stunner
07-14-2014, 01:25 PM
I have Chicago best in the east on paper (health is the factor).
Won't shock me if the Cavs put a bid in for Boozer when he's amnestied.

Two places I don't see him going back to the Cavs who he screwed for Utah and Utah lol

BK
Spurs
OKC
Rockets
Tor

Are my teams for Booz

Quinnsanity
07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Indiana supposedly wants Boozer as well.

chitown85
07-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Indiana supposedly wants Boozer as well.

Hope they take him; he is inefficient as hell, terrible on defense, and overall dead weight on the floor at times. His addition will hurt them imo.

chitown85
07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Two places I don't see him going back to the Cavs who he screwed for Utah and Utah lol

BK
Spurs
OKC
Rockets
Tor

Are my teams for Booz

Could see all of those teams making a move...slight favorite is Rockets to land him, but depends what shakes out with this Rondo/Love crap they are linked to (which I think is BS by the way).

canzano55
07-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Personally I think the present day Chicago Bulls are one of the most overrated teams in the NBA.

Watching them try and put points up against a relatively young Washington Wizards team in the playoffs was embarrassing. They couldn't buy a bucket for major stretches of the game to a point where they basically gave up. It was hard to watch.

They add Gasol - so what? Gasol is finished; he's a 34 year old vet who lumbers up and down the court and last season he barely managed to put up more than 10 points a game. As for Mirotic I like him but it takes years for overseas players to learn the NBA game - look at Bellinelli as an example of how much he's improved compared to his GSW days.

I'm not saying they won't make the playoffs but they're essentially headed nowhere.

On a side note - aesthetically speaking they're probably the worst team to watch in the NBA. I've never seen a team struggle to score the basketball so badly while desperately trying to suffocate their opponents every way possible effectively 'killing' the game.

Stunner
07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Could see all of those teams making a move...slight favorite is Rockets to land him, but depends what shakes out with this Rondo/Love crap they are linked to (which I think is BS by the way).

I think the Rockets will try and get rondo , prob gonna cost them jones

But

Rondo
Harden
Ariza
Booz
Howard

Is nice

chitown85
07-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Personally I think the present day Chicago Bulls are one of the most overrated teams in the NBA.

Watching them try and put points up against a relatively young Washington Wizards team in the playoffs was embarrassing. They couldn't buy a bucket for major stretches of the game to a point where they basically gave up. It was hard to watch.

They add Gasol - so what? Gasol is finished; he's a 34 year old vet who lumbers up and down the court and last season he barely managed to put up more than 10 points a game. As for Mirotic I like him but it takes years for overseas players to learn the NBA game - look at Bellinelli as an example of how much he's improved compared to his GSW days.

I'm not saying they won't make the playoffs but they're essentially headed nowhere.

On a side note - aesthetically speaking they're probably the worst team to watch in the NBA. I've never seen a team struggle to score the basketball so badly while desperately trying to suffocate their opponents every way possible effectively 'killing' the game.

Thanks for sharing...feel better now? Couch time...Anyway, not a single Bulls fan with half a brain expected us to do a damn thing in the playoffs. Not like we could won anything without a healthy Rose...our franchise player is not in the lineup...what did you expect to happen? Smh.

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Hope that's a typo because if not, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. And talking about the Bulls last season compared to their roster this season, I tend to believe you're completely in the dark about the Bulls.

beasted86
07-14-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure many people understand how the amnesty bidding process works.

Stunner
07-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure many people understand how the amnesty bidding process works.

We do , people were just listing the teams who might bid on him or will look at him if he falls thru . It goes hand and hand . A team could prob sign him just to hit their cap floor too .

beasted86
07-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Our bench right now is Kirk, Snell, McDermott, Mirotic, Taj, and Bairstow. If that's a weak bench, I'll take that all day.

I'm going exclude myself from answering this question along with Bulls fans:

Who thinks this is one of the better bench charts in the East?

beasted86
07-14-2014, 01:52 PM
We do , people were just listing the teams who might bid on him or will look at him if he falls thru . It goes hand and hand . A team could prob sign him just to hit their cap floor too .

I think is safe to say he will not fall through. Are we in agreement on that? I'd hope everyone is 100% on board with that idea.

canzano55
07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Hope that's a typo .It was. Bulls needed a 20+ point scorer and instead they settled for a vet big man who's numbers have been dropping over the years and who won't even play 82 games.

Backcourt scoring is also still an issue with hopes of it being remedied by a Derrick Rose while he has enormous ongoing question marks surrounding his form.

[
And talking about the Bulls last season compared to their roster this season, I tend to believe you're completely in the dark about the Bulls.They're not that much better.
They'll still be a top defensive team but if they encounter an opponent with at least partially adequate defensive ability plus superior scoring (practically every team in the NBA is likely to have superior scoring then the Bulls) then they're going to struggle.

Every game when not facing a lottery team will be a struggle for the Bulls because they win games on mostly effort on D to make up for their putrid scoring which can take its toll on a team for 82 games.

Stunner
07-14-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm going exclude myself from answering this question along with Bulls fans:

Who thinks this is one of the better bench charts in the East?

Wash and Tor maybe

Captain Moroni
07-14-2014, 02:03 PM

When replacing another player, you need to adjust to that player using a baseball WAR approach. My point is not that statistically Pau is better, it is that Boozer like him or loathe him was a big part of your "almost" 50 win season. I happen to watch as many Bulls games as I can since they are a conference Foe. To just dismiss Boozer as "Garbage" is silly and shows that you clearly do not understand what he contributed to a nearly 50 win team. You are acting as if Pau Gasol makes you 10 games better. I am just stating that I don't feel that is the case. Now 100% healthy DRose with no limits or setbacks makes you 10 games better, but replacing Boozer last year with Gasol last year and no Rose....you probably win a game or 2 more. Gasol is not a GOTO guy, he is a garbage collector like Noah. How many baskets will Pau take from Noah? All things must be considered.
Stats alone tell only a fraction of the story. Cohesive collection of players and substitutions will be the main factor in determining how well the Bulls play. (And any other team for that matter)

If Rose is 100% and the same player he used to be (Speed, Agility, Fearless drive to the rack) then all other players stats go down with the sheer amount of shots taken by Rose. But that is a good thing for the Win column.
Just because Pau Gasol averaged certain stats with a certain team does not mean he will duplicate said stats with a new team and system.

If Melo, Durrant, Healthy Rose, Healthy Kobe, and Harden played on the same team, that team woukld not score 130 a night. Their collective stats would not be the average stats per game. Someone would suffer each night because they defer to someone else.

In a perfect scenario you could subtract Boozers stats from Pau's stats and come up with a difference per game. It just does not work like that.

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
When replacing another player, you need to adjust to that player using a baseball WAR approach. My point is not that statistically Pau is better, it is that Boozer like him or loathe him was a big part of your "almost" 50 win season. I happen to watch as many Bulls games as I can since they are a conference Foe. To just dismiss Boozer as "Garbage" is silly and shows that you clearly do not understand what he contributed to a nearly 50 win team. You are acting as if Pau Gasol makes you 10 games better. I am just stating that I don't feel that is the case. Now 100% healthy DRose with no limits or setbacks makes you 10 games better, but replacing Boozer last year with Gasol last year and no Rose....you probably win a game or 2 more. Gasol is not a GOTO guy, he is a garbage collector like Noah. How many baskets will Pau take from Noah? All things must be considered.
Stats alone tell only a fraction of the story. Cohesive collection of players and substitutions will be the main factor in determining how well the Bulls play. (And any other team for that matter)

If Rose is 100% and the same player he used to be (Speed, Agility, Fearless drive to the rack) then all other players stats go down with the sheer amount of shots taken by Rose. But that is a good thing for the Win column.
Just because Pau Gasol averaged certain stats with a certain team does not mean he will duplicate said stats with a new team and system.

If Melo, Durrant, Healthy Rose, Healthy Kobe, and Harden played on the same team, that team woukld not score 130 a night. Their collective stats would not be the average stats per game. Someone would suffer each night because they defer to someone else.

In a perfect scenario you could subtract Boozers stats from Pau's stats and come up with a difference per game. It just does not work like that.

I never called Boozer garbage but he sat in the fourth for a reason...and I don't need a baseball stat to tell me Gasol replacing Boozer makes us better. Ten times better? No. But better offensively, defensively, the ability to play 2 positions, and being a better passer. I don't care how many baskets it takes away from Noah. Noah shouldn't be scoring much anyway. Defense, rebounding, and passing is his game. Adding Rose, Gasol, Doug, and Mirotic makes us a better team is pretty much all I've been saying. We lost DJ and Boozer but with the additions it's an EXTREMELY minimal loss and won't be felt at all as we'll still be better than last year. It's not as complicated as you're trying to make it.

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Our bench right now is Kirk, Snell, McDermott, Mirotic, Taj, and Bairstow. If that's a weak bench, I'll take that all day.It didn't help them win last year. They had so much trouble scoring, which is why people wanted Carmelo to come boost the offense. They do have a couple of new pieces, though.

Stunner
07-14-2014, 02:16 PM
It didn't help them win last year. They had so much trouble scoring, which is why people wanted Carmelo to come boost the offense. They do have a couple of new pieces, though.

Their bench was starting last year nice try tho

east fb knicks
07-14-2014, 02:19 PM
if rose is healthy yes but that's a big if

chitown85
07-14-2014, 02:20 PM
It didn't help them win last year. They had so much trouble scoring, which is why people wanted Carmelo to come boost the offense. They do have a couple of new pieces, though.

Don't really see your point here. That's a different roster than last year's...I do understand the Melo comment; but only because I am worried about Rose's productivity/health. But, with a healthy Rose, Pau, and the Mirotic + McBuckets factor...offensive game will be much improved compared to sans Rose; these other pieces just add to the potential of our offensive attack--so overall don't see your point.

KG2TB
07-14-2014, 02:22 PM

Their bench was starting last year nice try tho

Not to mention Doug and Mirotic weren't even on the team :laugh2:

It's not the best bench in the league but it's a solid bench without a doubt. Especially if Snell elevates his game.

abe_froman
07-14-2014, 02:24 PM
no.i think we will be top tier in the east,but i have the cavs over us

slashsnake
07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
if rose is healthy yes but that's a big if

Agreed. Even without him, they could be there. The last three years they haven't had Rose and are just 4 wins in that time out of being the 2nd best team in the East (4 wins behind Indy, Miami at #1). If Lebron and the Cavs take a bit to mesh, Indy doesn't get Lance and Roy is still messed up, they are there. A lot of ifs, and not likely, but stranger things have happened.

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Their bench was starting last year nice try thoWhat part of they failed to score well did you not read?

THE MTL
07-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Its not even about Derrick Rose being healthy anymore, you have to realize that the guy has played 10 NBA games over the past 2 years. Can you name anything that you can just stop for 2 years and then go right back to prior form?

I think the Cavs still win the East. Lebron has done the same thing before with a worse roster. Kyrie Irving is an allstar and is better than Bosh/Wade. Ppl are forgetting this fact

Stunner
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
What part of they failed to score well did you not read?

1st of all you're acting like the same players are on the bench from last year . Two new offensive bench players and Snell looks to improved going into his 2nd year .

Last year two of the bench players were starting thus making the bench more weak . So by my account you're forcing players to try and play above their skill level in multiple mins .

If you're replacing Rose and Deng with Kirk and MDJ you will have trouble scoring .

chitown85
07-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Its not even about Derrick Rose being healthy anymore, you have to realize that the guy has played 10 NBA games over the past 2 years. Can you name anything that you can just stop for 2 years and then go right back to prior form?

I think the Cavs still win the East. Lebron has done the same thing before with a worse roster. Kyrie Irving is an allstar and is better than Bosh/Wade. Ppl are forgetting this fact

I have a wait and see attitude when it comes to the Cavs; Lebron even flat out said "it will be a process." Any team Lebron plays for is dangerous obviously. As far as Rose goes he could have rushed back and got a "band-aid" procedure like Wade did to rush back...he leaned towards the side of safety and longevity; instead of the quick fix. D Rose is still crazy young as well; and has been a gym rat (like always) and has been practicing his jumper--so not like he has been sitting on the couch eating Frito's my man. I still admit I am nervous about D Rose ever being a top 5 pg again, but its not a foregone conclusion that he won't, like you make it seem. Will get to see him this summer with team USA, let's wait and see.

ice_c
07-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Lebron James.

JordansBulls
07-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Chicago, Miami, Cleveland, Indy. Pretty much could go in any order of ranking. But I believe Chicago will rank ahead of Indy and Cle for sure. Miami may get the best record however.

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 03:18 PM
As a Bulls fan I'm not going to do this to myself another season. You know, assuming Rose is healthy and ready to go only to see him get injured and God bless the rest of the guys on team, fight so hard to work their way into the playoffs only to see them get outmatched or outlasted due to attrition. A lot of IF's and it has nothing to do with the games or intelligence of these players, like every year it has to do with health so let's just play it by ear. Hell, we can't even just say wait till the playoffs because they made it a few years ago and were kicking Philly's butt and in the final minute or so of Game 1 that they had well in hand, Rose goes down and so went the season in a flash. On paper they and Miami still look like the two top teams with surging Washington and Indiana if they can resign Stephenson, Hibbert gets his head out of his *** and George realizes he's not an elite supertstar and should play to his capabilities. So if you do that ASSUMING thing and say if this, this and this happens then it's Chicago, Miami and Washington/Indiana coin flip on who is better between those two and the rest that are basically scrimmages for those four mentioned.

Big Zo
07-14-2014, 03:20 PM
As it stands now, I'd say Indiana will probably be the #1 seed. That could change if Rose is anywhere as good as his former self. I think Cleveland will be 2, or 3 just based on the fact that LeBron has lead a team to the 1 seed just once in the last 4 years, on what I feel was a better supporting cast.

Come playoff time, tho, I can see Cleveland beating both of them with LeBron going off.

DamnGoat
07-14-2014, 03:22 PM
It'll all hinge on Rose. It's a scary thing to do considering he's barely played in 2 years, but that's the position the Bulls will be in until his contract expires, unfortunately.

I do think it's probably the most talented team overall in the Rose/Thibs era, but I'm not sure they're the best in the East. Will have to see how they play together first, but I really like the way Gasol fits and I'm excited to see what both McDermott & Mirotic can do as Rookies.

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 03:29 PM
LeBron isn't taking a core of wet behind the ear young players with no playoff experience past the second round let alone the Finals. Too much prisoner of the moment stuff going on here. Can we first see how Kyrie and LeBron share the ball first because both are used to running the offense. Wade giving up that responsibility on Miami is different than telling an immature Kyrie to suddenly just differ even if it's to the great LeBron James. Wiggins is still raw and has a ways to go in the mental department as well as the physical. And for right now those are the three best players on the Cavs and two have huge question marks. Maybe three to fours down the road if they all develop and gel together.

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 03:31 PM
As it stands now, I'd say Indiana will probably be the #1 seed. That could change if Rose is anywhere as good as his former self. I think Cleveland will be 2, or 3 just based on the fact that LeBron has lead a team to the 1 seed just once in the last 4 years, on what I feel was a better supporting cast.

Come playoff time, tho, I can see Cleveland beating both of them with LeBron going off.

Maybe Indiana if Stephenson resigns but if he leaves and you have no idea what the hell your 7'2" big man is going to do from game to game I'd say they take a step back but fortunately for them they play in the east so that might just drop them to third or fourth.

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Please nobody mention the Toronto Raptors because the planets were aligned for them last season and they still lost in the first round to that abomination in Brooklyn.

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2014, 04:01 PM
1st of all you're acting like the same players are on the bench from last year . Two new offensive bench players and Snell looks to improved going into his 2nd yearI acknowledged the new players Bulls will have for next season. I'm just saying they still don't have a bench that convinces me they're the best team in the east.

Cubby
07-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Gave me a migraine just reading this. Now I remember why I never come in here.

b1e9a8r5s
07-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Someone thinks so....

Earvin Magic Johnson @MagicJohnson ∑ 50m

With all the moves being made in NBA Free Agency the Top 4 teams in the East are: 1. Bulls 2. Cavs 3. Pacers 4. Wizards

Earvin Magic Johnson @MagicJohnson ∑ 42m

Pau Gasol will make the Bulls players better with his scoring and passing ability.

Earvin Magic Johnson @MagicJohnson ∑ 43m

NBA Fans: With the Bulls picking up Pau Gasol & a healthy Derrick Rose they will be much better offensively this season.

InRoseWeTrust
07-14-2014, 04:17 PM
If Rose can play at 75-80% of his MVP season, then I think they are the top team in the East and should be in the ECF. The Cavs will obviously be very dangerous, but I think it will be a bit of an adjustment year for them.

On the Rose topic, I do think he can be effective again. Trolls love to go off on how his career is over and he's the next Amare/Roy, but it's important to remember that the injuries he's suffered aren't degenerative in nature. It's not like his cartilage is wearing down and he's having repeated microfracture surgeries. Could he tear another ACL/meniscus? Sure. Is this likely to happen again? I think it's pretty much a crap shoot. From what I understand, medical literature is pretty consistent that one ACL tear doesn't have a major impact on risk of re-injury if it's properly rehabbed, which it obviously was. I do think the people that are completely writing him off as finished are incorrect. I guess only time will tell.

Arch Stanton
07-14-2014, 04:19 PM
If Rose is healthy then yes.

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Someone thinks so....

That's why I respect Magic, he's objective. He's not some homer who is blind and will say the Lakers will win when it's painfully obvious that they won't.

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Rose can come back from those injuries. He was going to come back from the ACL when he suffered the same injury Westbrook suffered and look how strong Russell came back. Those were just horrible luck injuries but the guy is a gym rat and has the will to come back strong. He's 25 not 35.

MrfadeawayJB
07-14-2014, 04:29 PM
It all depends on rose and his health

RLundi
07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
That's why I respect Magic, he's objective. He's not some homer who is blind and will say the Lakers will win when it's painfully obvious that they won't.

You respect people who aren't complete and utter morons? Because only an idiot would say the Lakers will win, etc. That has nothing to do with objectivity. That's common sense. If he picked the Bucks to win it all, would you still respect his opinion? He's technically being objective.

In actuality, you probably respect him because at this particular moment, his opinion aligns with yours.

Magic half the time doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

Jarvo
07-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Someone understands ball in this thread.

And plus they been together for a long time and now have shooters and Boozer should be gone

CubZwin38
07-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Wouldn't it be 75 wins then if Lebron was with them the next year? His argument is ridiculous.

CubZwin38
07-14-2014, 04:57 PM
As it stands? Assuming Lance is staying? 5% chance of that, right? Indiana is not the #1 seed without Lance. #4 at best. Bulls, Cavs, Wizards all better.

RedDinosaurGang
07-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Are the Chicago Bulls the best team in the East? They very well could be, granted that Rose is able to play near or at pre-injury levels. I still think they need a offensive minded scorer on the wing to take some pressure off D.Rose and knock down open 3pt shots, a la Deng.

Jamiecballer
07-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Yep

chitownbulls
07-14-2014, 05:49 PM
According to magic johnson's twitter:

With all the moves being made in NBA Free Agency the Top 4 teams in the East are: 1. Bulls 2. Cavs 3. Pacers 4. Wizards

TheNumber37
07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
They might be.. Tony snell and Doug are looking great in summer league

chitown85
07-14-2014, 08:37 PM
They might be.. Tony snell and Doug are looking great in summer league

Both of them are looking amazing in Summer league. Especially, last game for Doug (31 pts). Considering they are both bench players; really exciting. Wish Mirotic could have played in the SL...oh well, supposedly NBA ready.

KINGBAIZE
07-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I got our starting lineup being:

D. ROse
T. Snell
J. Butler
P. Gasol
J. Noah

Bench
J. Fredette?
K. Hinrich
Mcdermott
Mirotic
T. Gibson ( wanted to see Taj play as a starter, but they'll prolly start Gasol
?
?

JordansBulls
07-14-2014, 09:53 PM

That is what happens when you lose a 3x finals mvp winner and 1x league mvp winner in Shaq.

Shammyguy3
07-14-2014, 10:03 PM
JB, if we signed Larry Bird right now how would we fair? He has 3 mvps

Confusious
07-14-2014, 10:10 PM
^wut?

Look at the guys Love has to work with. It's a one man show in MIN.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-14-2014, 10:14 PM
As of right now there is no clear favorite. If Cleveland gets Love though, they'll be the team clearly at the top. I'm still not huge on the Bulls perimeter players.

SluggeR
07-14-2014, 10:19 PM
The Bulls get a lot of love because they have continued to be competitive and relevant without their best player. Thing is, when they have had their entire team healthy..WHAT HAVE THEY WON? The Bulls have to get key new pieces acclimated as well as their best player. How bout lets see how they play, before we just hand the East over to them.

Confusious
07-14-2014, 10:26 PM
The Bulls get a lot of love because they have continued to be competitive and relevant without their best player. Thing is, when they have had their entire team healthy..WHAT HAVE THEY WON? The Bulls have to get key new pieces acclimated as well as their best player. How bout lets see how they play, before we just hand the East over to them.
Bulls are the favourites in the regular season.

But then they go up against Cleveland in the playoffs, (and assuming he's healthy) Rose gets matched up against LeBron. LeBron makes him his *****, and the Bulls get embarrassed. I feel like the whole thing is deja vu. Is it just me, or am I crazy?

kozelkid
07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
As of right now there is no clear favorite. If Cleveland gets Love though, they'll be the team clearly at the top. I'm still not huge on the Bulls perimeter players.
With Love I agree. Without him, can't see it. As talented as they are, their frontcourt depth is BAD. We always talked about the Heat's struggle against big teams. It's even more magnified with this Cleveland team, especially when their best big can't even be counted on being consistently healthy. They may struggle big time with big teams like Washington, Chicago, and Indiana.

beasted86
07-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Stop me if youíve heard this before:

The best player on the planet is a free agent, but doesnít choose Chicago.

Another dynamic offensive player is a free agent, but doesnít choose Chicago.

And so, the Bulls settle for a big man who does not look like a franchise-changer.

This summer, LeBron James was a free agent again and again went somewhere else.

Carmelo Anthony, in the role of Dwyane Wade, was a free agent and stayed with his team.

And so, in the recurring nightmare that is their sad free-agency history, the Bulls win the Carlos Boozer Memorial Consolation Prize known as Pau Gasol.

In case you missed the mess of 2010, the Bulls are served another helping of not landing the game-changing name.

People who donít want to admit this is another failure to attract the best will explain that Gasol has better post moves than soon-to-be-amnestied Boozer. Further, Gasol supporters will say he can play the four or the five in place of Taj Gibson or Joakim Noah, respectively.

Yes. Well. Boozer averaged more points and rebounds when the Bulls settled for him four years ago the way theyíre settling for Gasol now, and Gasol is coming off consecutive seasons of shooting less than 50 percent for the first time in his career.

Also like Boozer, Gasol is not driven to play defense. See, thatís the thing when you try to sell a fan base on a player who can get his own shot down low: He has to be in the game to get those shots.

Do you think Tom Thibodeau is going to settle for trading baskets in the fourth quarter? Is that how things are going down with the Bulls now? Thibodeau is going all Western Conference on us? Put the bong down.

Because unless the defensive maniac of a coach is going to ignore Gasolís inability to play defense, I canít find a spot for Gasol down the stretch of a game, particularly a playoff game, and playoff games are the only things that matter, and then whoís going to get his own shot besides Derrick Rose, if Rose can still do that after two knee surgeries?

If the younger and better Noah and Gibson couldnít stop Nene and Marcin Gortat, then what happens when a 34-year-old tries?

Speaking of being 34, how will Gasol survive the minutes Thibodeau likes to play his starters?

By not playing him in the fourth quarters, I guess, and doesnít that sound like Boozer 2.0?

Saying or at least acting like he wanted to win, Gasol turned down the Lakers and Hawks. Interestingly for someone allegedly looking for a chance to win, Gasol was pursued by the Spurs and Thunder, both of whom are better than the Bulls. The Spurs are the reigning champs, while the Thunder are next in line.

Arguably, then, Gasol took the stupid way out. If the reigning champs want you and you want to win another title, then the choice should be easy.

But no. Gasol ran from a chance to play with the best team in the league, and perhaps it was because the Western Conference is tough every night.

Arguably, then, Gasol took the easy way out. He chose to come to the La-Z-Boy that is the Eastern Conference, where teams make the playoffs even while trying to miss them.

I had a cup of coffee with Bulls general manager Gar Forman a couple Saturdays ago. None of the free-agent prizes had committed at that point. Whatever the result, Forman assured me, the Bulls would have a better team.

Any team without Boozer is better, so technically, heís right. But James is still in the conference, Anthony isnít in Chicago, and Roseís injury pattern is still haunting the Bulls roster, payroll and financial flexibility.

The Bulls settled for a free-agent big man from the conference where nobody guards much and that new free agent will play for a coach who demands defense first. Summer reruns for the Bulls. Again. Always, I guess.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-gasol-looks-like-another-boozer-20140714,0,5413051.column

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-14-2014, 10:43 PM
With Love I agree. Without him, can't see it. As talented as they are, their frontcourt depth is BAD. We always talked about the Heat's struggle against big teams. It's even more magnified with this Cleveland team, especially when their best big can't even be counted on being consistently healthy. They may struggle big time with big teams like Washington, Chicago, and Indiana.

Ya. I do agree that Cleveland's big men might be among the worst in the league. Cleveland's fate is ultimately gonna come down to how much better LeBron can make them and if Kyrie can step up.

Cash
07-14-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm definitely taking the Bulls to come out of the East. Maybe i was the only one watching the Cavs last year, but LeBron isn't going to come in and make this a good defensive team. LeBron will no doubt miss Chris Bosh.

mike_noodles
07-14-2014, 10:58 PM
If I go under the assumption that each team's health is equal, I have Chicago as the number one seed. I feel like the east is wide open. I think there's 5-6 teams that could win 53 games this year. And as ugly as it sounds, 53 games may be enough to the conference.

Confusious
07-14-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm definitely taking the Bulls to come out of the East. Maybe i was the only one watching the Cavs last year, but LeBron isn't going to come in and make this a good defensive team. LeBron will no doubt miss Chris Bosh.
Maybe you never saw what he did with the Cavs team back in 2007-2009. (emphasis on the 2007 year.)

And I hear you asking me, who was on that NBA Finals team? Surely it was packed to the gills with defensive players, si?

Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson, Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Z. Ilgauskas, Damon Jones, Dwayne Jones, Donyell Marshall, Anderson Varej„o, David Wesley and a bunch of other junk.

But oh, of course you're going to tell me that THIS NBA Finals roster is lightyears better than the 2014-15 Cavs. Am I wrong or am I wrong?

cssdmark
07-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Obvious to anyone who actually follows the team/watches them play more than a few games a season (ie when they play your team). The Turd looked like an AllStar at times in our system, Nate Robinson looked like the "truth," and DJ is just another name to throw out there that our system made look good. We brought Hinrich back (a much more crucial piece, especially if he finds his touch again...). Losing DJ is also not a big loss imo; efficiency wise SNELL is better (if only he could dribble...). Gasol, McBuckets (potential wise), and Mirotic are a huge upgrade compared to losing the BOOZER (who rode the pine in the 4th quarter..) and a journeyman byproduct of our system.... I agree Pau is an upgrade but I am not sold on a Mirotic. I read he did not have a good year last year and he plays no defense. I will have to see it to believe he can make it in the NBA.

mohye
07-14-2014, 11:22 PM
No

yoseppii12
07-14-2014, 11:23 PM
I don't see improvements in the perimeter offense and ball handling, issues that have hurt the Bulls since Rose has joined the team, being made this off-season. Every great team has multiple people that can put the ball on the deck and create shots for others or themselves.

For example, Miami had Lebron, Wade, PGs, even Bosh isn't bad off the dribble. Dallas had Terry, Barea, Kidd, Dirk when they won. Spurs had Manu, Parker, Leonard. Other good teams like OKC Durant, Westbrook, Harden (before he was traded). Golden State has Curry, Thompson, Iguodola.

Bulls have who? Rose (if he stays healthy), Kirk, and Noah? Noah is arguably the 2nd best ball handler/play maker?

Even though the dude is apparently a head-case (while everyone on the Pacers including their coach and their star players want him back?), Lance Stephenson probably should of been the target for the Bulls. We need a wing-scorer next to Rose. I don't get how that was completely neglected this off-season. We wonder why Rose gets injured, its because we ask of him what CLE and MIA ask of LeBron, to create all the offense. I think next year will be more of the same we have seen from the Bulls. It will be similar to when we had Asik, just more offense and less defense out of Gasol. Unless...Mirotic and McDermot are studs and their game translates to the NBA very quickly.

canzano55
07-15-2014, 01:08 AM
Gave me a migraine just reading this. Now I remember why I never come in here.Aww...I hurt da mans feelings...

:(

raiderposting
07-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Maybe you never saw what he did with the Cavs team back in 2007-2009. (emphasis on the 2007 year.)

And I hear you asking me, who was on that NBA Finals team? Surely it was packed to the gills with defensive players, si?

Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson, Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Z. Ilgauskas, Damon Jones, Dwayne Jones, Donyell Marshall, Anderson Varej„o, David Wesley and a bunch of other junk.

But oh, of course you're going to tell me that THIS NBA Finals roster is lightyears better than the 2014-15 Cavs. Am I wrong or am I wrong?

This. If Lebron had the ****** as cavs of the past as the first seed, he'll have this cavs team 1st in the east as well. Bulls with melo would have been a serious challenge, but the cavs are coming out the east.

DamnGoat
07-15-2014, 03:24 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-gasol-looks-like-another-boozer-20140714,0,5413051.column
Cool...you posted an article from arguably the worst writer in Chicago sports media (and that's really saying something since most of them suck), Steve Rosenbloom. His sole purpose is to take an extremely negative angle on just about everything and generate as many reactions (good or bad) as he possibly can.

Captain Moroni
07-15-2014, 03:53 AM
Bulls sit 3 or 4 in the conference.

chitownbulls
07-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Sure the Bulls don't have a true secondary scoring option, but the combination of one of the best front courts in the league, the addition of some great shooters, and a driving and slashing Rose(if healthy) is going to be difficult for any team to handle. Add that to their already solid defense(which will hopefully be even better without Boozer and the growth of Snell), and I have no reason to see why they wouldn't be favorites in the east. In my opinion our floor spacing, versatile front court, and great passers really make up for lack of a secondary scorer, which is consistently being overlooked

Iron24th
07-15-2014, 05:05 AM
an injured rose coming back, a quickly declining gasol who doesn't play defense, no bench will not give them the east, but I see them being top 3 since the east is so weak, even weaker than last year.

chitownbulls
07-15-2014, 05:11 AM
an injured rose coming back, a quickly declining gasol who doesn't play defense, no bench will not give them the east, but I see them being top 3 since the east is so weak, even weaker than last year.

no bench? lol.

Gasol declining, is really not that big of a deal, he was still a 17/9 player and will be used much less than in the past. He will definitely see a reduction of minutes because he has Gibson and Mirotic behind him. So he's not gonna get abused by Thibs. And if we covered up Boozers defense, we can cover up Gasol's.

And we don't know Rose's status so I shouldn't really comment. But his explosiveness was still present after the ACL tear, and his latest injury isn't known to take any athleticism away. I think the main concern is shaking off 2 years worth of rust and playing for more than half a season. I think Team USA will be a good test for him

P&GRealist
07-15-2014, 05:15 AM
It all depends on Derrick Rose.

zn23
07-15-2014, 09:52 AM
It's between them and the Cavs for 1 and 2.

It's over for the Heat. D-Wade was an absolute disaster in the Finals, and his defense in the playoffs was laughably bad. He's basically as a role player. Now we're suppose to believe that without LeBron he's going to step his game up? Gimme a break! He hasn't proven anything in the last 2 years that would suggest that he's ready to be the star of the team.

D-Wade is clearly in a decline and now he's going to have even more pressure to perform.

Chris Bosh was also a disappointment in the playoff run. I question whether he has much left in the tank. He should be fresher than Wade, but he doesn't have a lot of low post help either.

The Big 3 were really a Big 1, and that was LeBron. Wade and Bosh are better than average role players. They'll get beat in the 2nd round.

Come playoff time could you imagine Wade trying to play defense on Derrick Rose? It's not going to end well.

chitown85
07-15-2014, 12:19 PM

But then they go up against Cleveland in the playoffs, (and assuming he's healthy) Rose gets matched up against LeBron. LeBron makes him his *****, and the Bulls get embarrassed. I feel like the whole thing is deja vu. Is it just me, or am I crazy?

I see the point you were trying to make, but it doesn't quite add up: 1) Rose has only met Bron in the playoffs once (with a different roster...which could be better or worse/I think better). So not really a pattern if its only been once... 2) Just as we have never played the current Cleveland roster, they have never played our current roster. So a little presumptuous to assume anything at this point. 3) We haven't been regular season favorites for a while now.

cubswin25
07-15-2014, 12:41 PM

You're crazy, because you gotta factor in why it worked last time. Back in 2010-2011, the Bulls had CJ Watson has the only other ball handler/creator. Which isn't something Watson is strong at anyways. But the Bulls couldn't play him and Rose together much because they would get destroyed on defense. So the Bulls had no choice but to let Rose handle the ball and try to create against Lebron. Which wasn't easy, due to the size factor between them. Not to mention the only person who could really "shoot" on that team was Kyle Korver. With guys like Keith Bogans and Ronnie Brewer getting major minutes. So when Boozer wasn't exactly someone you could count as a number two option, it was easy to see why they struggled to score.

This season, if they try to do that Lebron stuff on Rose again. They will just bring Kirk Hinrich in the game to play with Rose. Let Hinrich handle the ball and get it inside to Gasol/Noah or to one of the shooters. Not to mention Lebron likely won't be able to keep up with Rose off the ball as well. That is the main reason why it was important to bring Kirk Hinrich back. Since he can be the second ball handler and creator. While having the ability on defense to play with Rose in stretches. Plus unlike the 2010-2011 team, this team has shooters people who can really shoot the ball in Dunleavy, McDermott and Mirotic. So they aren't counting just on Kyle Korver to make shots. Not to mention Pau Gasol is a much much better second scoring option then Carlos Boozer. You can count on Gasol being in the game, scoring and making things happen. While Boozer always struggled late in games for the Bulls due to his height and poor defense. Which is why he was often benched during that time for Taj Gibson. This is by far the best overall(defense and offense) Bulls team there has been since the 90s. Obviously it all depends on Rose health, but if no more freak injuries happen. Well I would be confident they can beat the Cavs this season. I do think the Cavs are going to be really good in a few years. But getting these young players to play defense the right away and counting on them to play big in the playoffs is unrealistic.

cubswin25
07-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Yes you are wrong, it's not defensive talent that will be the Cavs problem this year. It's experience and willingness that will be the issues. During those years they had veteran players who knew how to play the game. Yes everything was centered around Lebron. So when he left the team, of only role players fell apart. This Cav's team is a lot more talented that's for sure. But that doesn't mean they will be better. Because the experience/willingness factor on Defense and playing a team game on offense. Remember Lebron is replacing a good defender and solid scorer in Luol Deng. Yes Lebron is a lot better of a player. Which is why the Cavs should be a playoff team now. But the problems from last year on defense and playing as a "team" on offense aren't just going to go away overnight. Even Lebron is smart enough to know this is going to be a work in progress and knows it's not going to happen overnight. Like you seem to think so. In 2-3 years as they mature and learn the game, they will be by far the team to beat. This season their will be a lot of ball hogging and lazy or poor defense going on though.

Badluck33
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Chicago Bulls are a lottery team this year.

15-20 W

Rose is broken, Butler is going to play out of place, No luol deng, cant rely on Doug or Snell, Gasol is Old, Noah can't win games by himself, KH is bad, Taj gibson still can't score and Thibs hates the front office because they didn't land Melo and will tank on purpose.

Hellcrooner
07-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Sincť im foreigner and my first language is Spanish maybe im wrong bout what the Word Declining means

:confused:

Pau Gasol

33,8 mpg 12-13 13,7 ppg .446 fg% 8,6 rpg 4,1 apg 1,2 bpg
31,4 mpg 13-14 17,4 Ppg .480 fg% 9,7 rpg 3,4 apg 1,5 bpg

:rolleyes:

boboo73
07-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Chicago Bulls are a lottery team this year.

15-20 W

Rose is broken, Butler is going to play out of place, No luol deng, cant rely on Doug or Snell, Gasol is Old, Noah can't win games by himself, KH is bad, Taj gibson still can't score and Thibs hates the front office because they didn't land Melo and will tank on purpose.

Nice troll comment. Hopefully I am the only one who comments on this because clearly you posted this to get a rise out of people.

ManningToTyree
07-15-2014, 03:23 PM
If Rose is healthy absolutely

IversonIsKrazy
07-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Given that Rose is healthy, Cavs DONT get Love, and Indy is still disfunctional, yes. But as you can see, we are assuming a lot before making that statement

NBA_Starter
07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
They are right up there.

zedrix
08-06-2014, 09:15 PM
If Rose is healthy absolutely

His healthy right now. It's a matter of "can he stay healthy?"

This is the most talented team D.Rose has played with. The additions the Bulls made in off season should ease the burden on him, especially on the offensive end.

ohreally
08-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Chicago with Rose healthy and Mirotic living up to some of his hype has to be considered the likely top of the East. To me, Cavs with Love is a crapshoot, they could be great and they could crash and burn--I just think there will be issues between Love and Kyrie. Miami will still be pretty good. Wiz have impressive depth. Raps should be up there though I think Lowry will lose much of his luster. If Lopez and Deron stay healthy the Nets should be up there too, Plumlee is improving, they have got more athletic, Mirza should see more minutes, and Bogdanovich should be decent if the core does stay healthy.