PDA

View Full Version : Best Passing Big Men?

Quinnsanity
07-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Who are the best passing big men in the league in your mind? My initial list would include both Gasols, Kevin Love, Duncan, Joakim Noah, Boris Diaw, Spencer Hawes, Josh McRoberts and a few other guys who are slipping my mind at the moment.

rockets-fan
07-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Griffin and cousins

ManningToTyree
07-13-2014, 11:54 PM
David lee and cousins in addition to the op

likemystylez
07-13-2014, 11:59 PM
josh mcroberts

likemystylez
07-14-2014, 12:00 AM
josh smith (if we call him a big guy)

Raps18-19 Champ
07-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Baby Gasol.

Kyben36
07-14-2014, 12:05 AM
last year, noah had the best 4th quarter assist number of any player, including PGs like chris paul, i think there are many good passers, Noah, Love ( long court pass) Pau gasol, are my 3 best, but noah beats them all out IMO. no homer.

Deception
07-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Greg Monroe, Marc Gasol, Boris Diaw, Noah

THE MTL
07-14-2014, 12:27 AM
David Lee

JustinTime
07-14-2014, 12:52 AM
Who are the best passing big men in the league in your mind? My initial list would include both Gasols, Kevin Love, Duncan, Joakim Noah, Boris Diaw, Spencer Hawes, Josh McRoberts and a few other guys who are slipping my mind at the moment.

Kelly Olynyk

flea
07-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Every big man that came through Florida with Billy Donovan, every big man that came through Kansas with Bill Self, and every international player.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Griffin, Noah, Gasol brothers, McRoberts, Cousins, Josh Smith are hands down the best passing bigs. Love was this year, but not years prior, so may regress.

DR_1
07-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Joakim and the Gasols

Max.This
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
boris diaw.... man is like a pg in a pf body

LongIslandIcedZ
07-14-2014, 08:46 AM
I know a lot of Bulls fans really wanted Melo, but a Pau and Noah front court is going to be awesome to watch.

One of the best passing front courts I've ever seen. Loved that signing so much. I think Chicago will be legit this year.

kdspurman
07-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Griffin, Noah, Gasol brothers, McRoberts, Cousins, Josh Smith are hands down the best passing bigs. Love was this year, but not years prior, so may regress.

Diaw is probably one of the best as well.

ManRam
07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
McBob and Noah were on a tier of their own last year, but both were well above their career averages in that regard. The Gasols, Blake, Diaw etc. all have a bit more of a history.

Oefarmy2005
07-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Last year, Noah had the best assist numbers per 36 minutes of anyone named, K.Love second at 1.1 assists left. Enough said.

ManRam
07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Last year, Noah had the best assist numbers per 36 minutes of anyone named, K.Love second at 1.1 assists left. Enough said.

No. McBob was second in assists per36 or 48. He also had an ABSURD 4.01 AST/TO ratio.

Kashmir13579
07-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Noah.

Kashmir13579
07-14-2014, 02:44 PM

No. McBob was second in assists per36 or 48. He also had an ABSURD 4.01 AST/TO ratio. once he gets some more exposure he'll get more respect. Nobody watched the bobcats tbh.

goingfor28
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
once he gets some more exposure he'll get more respect. Nobody watched the bobcats tbh.
I did :shrug:

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Diaw is probably one of the best as well.

Oops. My bad. Can't forget him :).

slashsnake
07-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Love Diaw, and McRoberts is AWESOME. How good of a passer do you have to be in order for a coach to say "yup that guy averages 8 points a game, but we want to run our offense through him". Love... great outlet passer and smart guy. Noah of course. Pau is great.

Underrated or not mentioned group. Duncan, Pachulia, Hawes, Nene.

chitown85
07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I know a lot of Bulls fans really wanted Melo, but a Pau and Noah front court is going to be awesome to watch.

One of the best passing front courts I've ever seen. Loved that signing so much. I think Chicago will be legit this year.

I love it too. Noah and Gasol? Filthy. Also, Dougie and Mirotic (a nice stop and pop 4) will be some great additions to the frontcourt as well. I believe our frontcourt may develop into one of the best in the game....now just need to improve the backcourt!haha

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 03:02 PM
What happened with Jimmy Butler last year? I was expecting a lot more out of him.

Kashmir13579
07-14-2014, 03:06 PM
What happened with Jimmy Butler last year? I was expecting a lot more out of him. wrong thread

misteraday
07-14-2014, 03:13 PM

The correct answer is Vlade Divac.

Since he's retired I'll go with Pau.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
wrong thread

It was in response to his Chicago needing a better backcourt thing. Was just a simple question, wasn't going to keep it on that topic.

MrfadeawayJB
07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Marc Gasol and joakim Noah

Oefarmy2005
07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't know why some people think that because some of Love's passes are outlet passes he is worse passer than say Pau. If anything, they are more difficult and he is simply amazing at them - he may be the best in the NBA, not just big men at outlet passing.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-14-2014, 05:25 PM
No ones mentioned KG yet??

SILVER SEAVER
07-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Noah and the Gasol brothers.

Jint.
07-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Greg Monroe

KnicksorBust
07-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Noah.

JustinTime
07-14-2014, 05:54 PM
I love it too. Noah and Gasol? Filthy. Also, Dougie and Mirotic (a nice stop and pop 4) will be some great additions to the frontcourt as well. I believe our frontcourt may develop into one of the best in the game....now just need to improve the backcourt!haha

Pau should have gone to San Antonio he's designed for that team.

kdspurman
07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Pau should have gone to San Antonio he's designed for that team.

He'll fit ok with Chicago I think. He'll give the post presence they didn't really have. but yea. He would have fit in beautifully with the Spurs offense. They just could not offer him enough. Throw him in that 2nd unit with Diaw/Ginobili/Bellinelli/Mills and they'd be fun to watch. Or beside Duncan with the starters.

JasonJohnHorn
07-14-2014, 11:04 PM
I think in terms of making plays, Noah and March Gasol are at the top following likely by Kevin Love who REALLY improved here, especially the second half of the season. And then Blake.

In terms of making passes, guys like Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol are just as good, but a lot of the time they make the pass that leads to the assist. They get in the post, make the defense respond to them, push the ball out, and then it gets passed around the horn and leads to a shot. This happens for Duncan especially, and it just doesn't show up in the stats. Gasol is also an amazing interior passes as we saw when he and Odom were playing together.

The others guys that were mentioned are great as well. You guys are all spot on. Greg Monroe is right up there, though this last season the coach didn't give him a chance to do what he had been doing the year before (which is part of the reason Detroit did so poorly).

Cousins is pretty solid, and I honestly haven't seen a lot of McRoberts, but his stats look pretty good. And Boris Diaw is great when he's passing, which he did in Phoenix and seems to have gotten back to doing in SAS, but when he was in IND and TOR, he seemed to be pretty happy looking for his own shot.

For those of you who are saying Josh Smith... I'll have to wait until I see him actually PASS the ball, since he usually just throws up a missed three-point attempt whenever he gets the ball every time I see him play. ;-)

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Blake has the best assist percentage and apg if you combine his 4 career years out of all of these bigs I'm pretty sure. In other words, we know he's top 3 for sure, where as other guys like McRoberts and Love had far above norm seasons and may regress. Blake didn't get a boost from anything, it's just his game. Not to mention none of these other guys played with the NBA's assist leader who holds the ball a lot. Without CP3 Blake averaged nearly 5 apg this season.

CubsBullsBucs
07-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Noah and Gasols

cmellofan15
07-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Blake has the best assist percentage and apg if you combine his 4 career years out of all of these bigs I'm pretty sure. In other words, we know he's top 3 for sure, where as other guys like McRoberts and Love had far above norm seasons and may regress. Blake didn't get a boost from anything, it's just his game. Not to mention none of these other guys played with the NBA's assist leader who holds the ball a lot. Without CP3 Blake averaged nearly 5 apg this season.

you beat me to the punch haha. not much mention of Blake early on in the thread but you're absolutely right, his passing is exceptional. I don't know if he's actually gotten better statistically or I just started noticing it last season but I was impressed with how he could move the ball last year.

D-Leethal
07-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Duncan.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 11:18 PM
you beat me to the punch haha. not much mention of Blake early on in the thread but you're absolutely right, his passing is exceptional. I don't know if he's actually gotten better statistically or I just started noticing it last season but I was impressed with how he could move the ball last year.

He's had it since he was a rookie year when he averaged 4 apg. Thing is now he's a bit less flashy and reckless. In prior seasons he was always going for crazy passes a big man (maybe any player) shouldn't be attempting. Guys like Kevin Love get a lot of their passes on outlets etc.. Blake gets his running the offense like a point forward, which is a bit more impressive in my opinion. Look at these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktuShlmpGnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3DGxnzsv3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1leNJB-ZGsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbv2xoCWC30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwy1LxGdgbM

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Careers

Griffin: 3.7 apg, 18.8 assist percentage (when he's on floor, how many assists are from him).

Pau Gasol: 3.3 apg, 16.4 assist percentage.

Marc Gasol: 3.6 apg, 13.7 assist percentage.

Joakim Noah: 2.7 apg. 14.7 assist percentage.

Kevin Love: 2.7 apg, 13 assist percentage.

Blake is clear and away the most consistent passer. One monster passing year from guys like Noah/Love don't really convince me of anything. Especially considering Rose will be back and Noah's will plummet and Love won't be on the Timberwolves having to do so much here shortly. Downside to passing that makes this more debatable, rather than clear winner... is he turns the ball over more than these guys.

Blake is doing all of this with a PG known for dominating the ball and leading the league in APG. Last year in April Blake Griffin AVERAGED 5.7 assists per game. In the entire stretch without CP3 he averaged 4.6.

flea
07-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Blake is okay but he's not a great facilitator or anything - he just has a big USG%. Passing is more than just assists per game and assist percentage. Like you tried to gloss over, Blake turns the ball over a lot. Duncan is so good because he keeps the ball moving and turns the ball over very little for a big man.

Noah's assists spiked because he was tasked with a lot of half-court offensive creation last year - that should change with Rose coming back and Gasol in the mix. He'll still be a better passer than Blake, even if his assists are lower next year.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Blake is okay but he's not a great facilitator or anything - he just has a big USG%. Passing is more than just assists per game and assist percentage. Like you tried to gloss over, Blake turns the ball over a lot. Duncan is so good because he keeps the ball moving and turns the ball over very little for a big man.

Noah's assists spiked because he was tasked with a lot of half-court offensive creation last year - that should change with Rose coming back and Gasol in the mix. He'll still be a better passer than Blake, even if his assists are lower next year.

How is Blake not a great facilitator?? He averaged nearly 5 apg without Paul, while amazingly REDUCING his turnovers. He plays the role of point forward and is the MAIN facilitator for us when Paul is on the bench. In fact, Doc Rivers called him the second best playmaker/passer on the team himself. Sounds like you're a bit misinformed. I didn't gloss over anything. I merely said his kink if you will in this debate is turnovers. It's a trade off for higher usage, more volume and more consistency.

Far from "Okay" as a passer.

TrueFan420
07-15-2014, 12:35 AM

David Lee and Blake Griffin also come to mind.

TrueFan420
07-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Also might be a little homerish but Bogut is a solid passer for a center as well. Not gonna have high assist numbers cause they don't run the ball through him but due makes some deft hockey assist type passes.

InRoseWeTrust
07-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Griffin is pretty great, but I have to give it to Noah right now after what he did last year. Pau and Love are good as well.

Clippersfan86
07-15-2014, 01:04 AM
Griffin is pretty great, but I have to give it to Noah right now after what he did last year. Pau and Love are good as well.

I have no problem with someone thinking Noah is better, because he's already in the discussion here, even by me. What I have issue with is someone saying Griffin is just an "Okay" passer and that just because of higher turnover numbers, volume and consistency with passing doesn't count. Griffin belongs in this discussion, period. So does Noah right now, although as I said, unfortunately he will take a backseat on playmaking when Rose comes back.

I think Love's passing this year was far more fluky than Noah's, I will say that.

kdspurman
07-15-2014, 09:30 AM
I think there's more to a passing big man than just looking at assist #'s just as would be the case for any position.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-15-2014, 12:06 PM
No mention of KG...4apg career? No? Ok

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
No mention of KG...4apg career? No? Ok

Noah averaged 5.4 last year....

Raidergrant
07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Assists don't tell the whole story. For example, Cousins would average a lot more of them if his teammates could hit wide open shots. Anyways, my list would be Marc and Pau Gasol, Cousins, Monroe, Diaw, and Noah.

Clippersfan86
07-15-2014, 06:24 PM
KG/Duncan were no doubt elite passing bigs in their prime, but right now aren't producing the same (as they shouldn't be). Duncan in discussion, KG not so much anymore. If you want to dig into the past, prime Chris Webber, Shaq, Hakeem etc.