PDA

View Full Version : OKC's Year?

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 10:37 PM
I wanted to ask this question with you guys because today at work it came up, Should next season be the year OKC wins it all? Yes The Heat Big 3 is gone and The Spurs will be back with everyone (:clap:) and it will be tough to beat them but no one is talking about OKC at all and KD the reigning MVP. The West is gonna be even harder to get out of because teams in the west get better evey year, But if it's anytime for KD and company are to get a championship it's next year (even though I think Spurs will comeout the west again) and if they don't should Westbrook & KD finally split or the coach get fired?

What are your thoughts?

bucketss
07-13-2014, 10:41 PM
hmm idk man what changes have okc made? i mean they might have lost to the clips if it wasn't for some questionable calls. idk, i guess they can bank on the spurs finally declining.

but who ever comes out the west should win the chip since the miami big three has been broken up

ink
07-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Not a balanced enough roster.

Brooklyn_lakers
07-13-2014, 10:52 PM
What I don't understand is, why don't they amnesty Perkins? Use his cap space and sign another big? Or sf type player. Someone answer this.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I really think they are the second best team in the NBA and if they should not win they need to make changes.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 10:58 PM
What I don't understand is, why don't they amnesty Perkins? Use his cap space and sign another big? Or sf type player. Someone answer this.

Who knows! He is just there doing nothing.

kdspurman
07-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Brooks has some work to do. He can't simply rely on his guys to win him games. His rotations in the playoffs, and in particular the WCF were very questionable. And it's mainly because he hadn't really developed and/or used his bench enough during the season. So it put a lot of pressure on Durant/Westbrook to go out there and try and take over games and create on the fly.

I'd like to see him incorporate at least a few plays and utilize his other guys on the team on a more consistent basis. They have the pieces to be successful, but I think the way they play has to change. Their bench was severely exposed during the WCF.

LAKobeBryant
07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
every year is okcs?

Vinny642
07-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Who knows! He is just there doing nothing.

Lmaooo the funniest and most accurate description of Perkins

Kidd>>>K-Mart
07-13-2014, 11:02 PM
What I don't understand is, why don't they amnesty Perkins? Use his cap space and sign another big? Or sf type player. Someone answer this. The OKC owner doesn't have deep pockets so by using the amnesty on Perkins he still has to owe him the money. In that case you might as well keep him on the roster since Perkins and Steve Adams are the only legitimate Centers on the team that can play.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Brooks has some work to do. He can't simply rely on his guys to win him games. His rotations in the playoffs, and in particular the WCF were very questionable. And it's mainly because he hadn't really developed and/or used his bench enough during the season. So it put a lot of pressure on Durant/Westbrook to go out there and try and take over games and create on the fly.

I'd like to see him incorporate at least a few plays and utilize his other guys on the team on a more consistent basis. They have the pieces to be successful, but I think the way they play has to change. Their bench was severely exposed during the WCF.

I know they got Morrow and tried getting Gasol so that's that, But if they don't win it all they must make major changes starting with the coach and then Westy. Even if they do try putting Reggie in as a starter it's not enough.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 11:10 PM
Lmaooo the funniest and most accurate description of Perkins

And looking mad lol like my God man you're making millions and have the nerve to look angry! SMILE DUDE!

kdspurman
07-13-2014, 11:17 PM
I know they got Morrow and tried getting Gasol so that's that, But if they don't win it all they must make major changes starting with the coach and then Westy. Even if they do try putting Reggie in as a starter it's not enough.

Yea. I think it will start with Brooks. Putting Reggie in the starting lineup kills their bench production unless he plays them more. I mean they (bench) had like 5 points in Game 6 all by Fisher when Reggie started.

Morrow could be valuable if they learn to space the floor better.

FlashBolt
07-13-2014, 11:18 PM
OKC won't win until KD keeps Westbrook on a leash. That's my view on things. I like Westbrook but he needs to adapt to different games and the way it pans out. Some games, he has to be the aggressor. Some games, he has to be more passive. If KD was the alpha and Westbrook was the beta, this would be a different story. Also, with Perkins on this roster, we're not winning a thing. Hope to get him out and start giving Steven Adams some more minutes. He's their most productive center on their roster when on the court.

bucketss
07-13-2014, 11:21 PM
And looking mad lol like my God man you're making millions and have the nerve to look angry! SMILE DUDE!

i actually never seen the man smile, so i googled it lol

http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Perk-Smile.jpg

MrfadeawayJB
07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
They need a real coach

Quinnsanity
07-13-2014, 11:23 PM

They wouldn't have cap space. They're at $69 million right now even before Anthony Morrow. So basically, losing Perkins puts them one or two million under the cap. The reason they don't amnesty Perkins is because the owners don't want to pay someone not to play for them. It's dumb logic, it's a sunk cost, but that's why. The real question is why, now that Perkins is an expiring, don't they trade Perkins for a valuable piece on a bad contract. They need another shot creator. Wouldn't Kendrick Perkins' expiring for OJ Mayo make sense for them? Pau Gasol made perfect sense, but now he's with the Bulls.

Kashmir13579
07-13-2014, 11:24 PM
If Westbrook Healthy.

Redrum187
07-13-2014, 11:24 PM
If I'm the Spurs, I'd worry a little about OKC, but surprisingly more about the Clippers and Mavericks. They had some pretty good pick-ups and the Mavericks and Spurs series last season was the most entertaining out of them all.

(Btw, congrats to Spurs fans.)

Mr.B
07-13-2014, 11:28 PM
I wanted to ask this question with you guys because today at work it came up, Should next season be the year OKC wins it all? Yes The Heat Big 3 is gone and The Spurs will be back with everyone (:clap:) and it will be tough to beat them but no one is talking about OKC at all and KD the reigning MVP. The West is gonna be even harder to get out of because teams in the west get better evey year, But if it's anytime for KD and company are to get a championship it's next year (even though I think Spurs will comeout the west again) and if they don't should Westbrook & KD finally split or the coach get fired?

What are your thoughts?
They have as good a shot as anyone in the West. They're a top 4 seed (at least they have been) so its conceivable that they could get hot at the right time and win it all. Personally I think they need a true pass first PG so that Westbrook could focus on scoring but that's just my opinion. When the Mavs won the title in 2011 they were a 4th seed and NO ONE outside of Dallas (except Charles Barkley) gave them a chance.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Yea. I think it will start with Brooks. Putting Reggie in the starting lineup kills their bench production unless he plays them more. I mean they (bench) had like 5 points in Game 6 all by Fisher when Reggie started.

Morrow could be valuable if they learn to space the floor better.

If they pass the ball to him, I truly think when they had the chamce to get Rondo they should have jumped on it.

Mr.B
07-13-2014, 11:37 PM
They wouldn't have cap space. They're at $69 million right now even before Anthony Morrow. So basically, losing Perkins puts them one or two million under the cap. The reason they don't amnesty Perkins is because the owners don't want to pay someone not to play for them. It's dumb logic, it's a sunk cost, but that's why. The real question is why, now that Perkins is an expiring, don't they trade Perkins for a valuable piece on a bad contract. They need another shot creator. Wouldn't Kendrick Perkins' expiring for OJ Mayo make sense for them? Pau Gasol made perfect sense, but now he's with the Bulls.
OKC should stay FAR AWAY from Mayo. Their best bet would be to use Perkin's expiring contract as a trade chip to land a better big man. If the Bucks go into rebuilding mold they may be willing to offer Sanders for Perkins to get rid of his contract. As I said before too, they need a true pass fist PG and convince Westbrook to focus on being a scorer instead of trying to be a PG. Also an upgrade at coach is needed.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 11:42 PM
If I'm the Spurs, I'd worry a little about OKC, but surprisingly more about the Clippers and Mavericks. They had some pretty good pick-ups and the Mavericks and Spurs series last season was the most entertaining out of them all.

(Btw, congrats to Spurs fans.)

Thanks! As a Spurs fan I can say I'am worried about The Mavs more than OKC if they can gel with Parsons in his 1st year there and getting Tyson back. OKC has no bench but have all the talent in the world with KD, Westy & Ibaka, Also gotta watchout for the Grizzs also!

Quinnsanity
07-13-2014, 11:46 PM
OKC should stay FAR AWAY from Mayo. Their best bet would be to use Perkin's expiring contract as a trade chip to land a better big man. If the Bucks go into rebuilding mold they may be willing to offer Sanders for Perkins to get rid of his contract. As I said before too, they need a true pass fist PG and convince Westbrook to focus on being a scorer instead of trying to be a PG. Also an upgrade at coach is needed.

Honestly there aren't that many options out there when it comes to cashing in an expiring contract. Teams know that the cap is going to rise next year and then explode in 2016-17 when the new television deal kicks in, so there isn't much of as much of a rush to dump bad contracts as we usually see. Also, there really aren't that many bad contracts out there right now to begin with, at least comparatively. Teams have gotten a lot smarter with their money.

Larry Sanders doesn't really make sense for their team. They need a very specific kind of big man, someone who can pass and has range but doesn't need the ball to be effective. Josh McRoberts or Spencer Hawes would've been perfect, Pau Gasol was obviously a target, Boris Diaw was never coming but he would've made sense. Beyond those guy, who all happened to be free agents this year, there just aren't that many big men like that in the league, much less guys teams want to get rid of. Kevin Garnett would make sense, but I doubt Brooklyn is eager to dump him without getting an asset back. If they could somehow swing a deal for Greg Monroe (maybe Perkins, Reggie Jackson and picks?) they'd have the most devastating offense in the league, an inside-outside juggernaut that could move the ball extremely well. I doubt that happens, and there really aren't that many big men of that ilk available. They missed out on an offseason where they easily could've found one by focusing solely on Gasol. Maybe if Miami decides to go all in for 2016 they deal McRoberts for Perkins.

Jarvo
07-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Honestly there aren't that many options out there when it comes to cashing in an expiring contract. Teams know that the cap is going to rise next year and then explode in 2016-17 when the new television deal kicks in, so there isn't much of as much of a rush to dump bad contracts as we usually see. Also, there really aren't that many bad contracts out there right now to begin with, at least comparatively. Teams have gotten a lot smarter with their money.

Larry Sanders doesn't really make sense for their team. They need a very specific kind of big man, someone who can pass and has range but doesn't need the ball to be effective. Josh McRoberts or Spencer Hawes would've been perfect, Pau Gasol was obviously a target, Boris Diaw was never coming but he would've made sense. Beyond those guy, who all happened to be free agents this year, there just aren't that many big men like that in the league, much less guys teams want to get rid of. Kevin Garnett would make sense, but I doubt Brooklyn is eager to dump him without getting an asset back. If they could somehow swing a deal for Greg Monroe (maybe Perkins, Reggie Jackson and picks?) they'd have the most devastating offense in the league, an inside-outside juggernaut that could move the ball extremely well. I doubt that happens, and there really aren't that many big men of that ilk available. They missed out on an offseason where they easily could've found one by focusing solely on Gasol. Maybe if Miami decides to go all in for 2016 they deal McRoberts for Perkins.

Okafor would be better than Perk or Blatche and if they let Reggie go they really won't have a bench.

Mr.B
07-13-2014, 11:54 PM

I would keep an eye on the Brooklyn situation. They are losing money like crazy and it is only going to get worse as they will be repeat offenders of the luxury tax. A guy like Brook Lopez could become available for an expiring contract like Perkins.

scissors
07-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Bad coaching. /thread

Nikeman
07-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Gasol would have vaulted this team into title favorites. OKC should have inquired about doing a S&T with the Lakers for Gasol. I think if OKC gave the Lakers Perkins' expiring and a pick Lakers would have bit.

Gasol could have made 10 million and OKC could have traded Perkins, and I believe they had a trade exception go down the drain as well. If there are 2 players in this league that can cover for Gasol's defensive deficiency its Ibaka and Noah. At least Gasol is playing with one of them.

OKC has one of the best GM's in the game, surprised he didn't think to offer LA that deal.

GoferKing_
07-14-2014, 09:31 AM
OKC wont win a championship unless they trade Westbrooke.

Sly Guy
07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
normally I'd say no, but I think it might be starting to get down to 'do or die' time to convince Durant he can win with this roster.

diu9leilomo
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM
its KD's year, unless he goes down like drose

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 02:44 PM
They didn't even earn a series win against the Clippers last year, not sure what makes this their year. They were a handful of atrocious calls away from losing in 6 to the Clippers. OKC is easy to game plan for. If you have the firepower to compete with them, they are easy to take out. Lots of iso ball, turnover prone, predictable coaching etc.

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Durant and Westbrook will never win the big one unless SA declines rapidly year after next (15-16 season) and they somehow get a weak opponent from the Eastern Conference in the Finals. Westbrook needs to go 'be the man' on his own team so Durant can shine. They need to get Rondo or someone like that at PG. Their bench needs help and they haven't done anything yet this off-season. Unless Lamb, Jackson, or Adams step up big time, they're in trouble.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 02:46 PM
OKC will be the 3rd best team in the west this year after SAS/LAC mark my words.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 02:46 PM
PS change thread title to "Ref's year?" or "RefKC's year?"

jayjay33
07-14-2014, 03:15 PM
They should try to get someone like mayo for Perkins. But honestly...OKC was done when they have away James harden. That was the worst trade in NBA history.

Who throws away a young dynasty and multiple rings, to save a couple mil. Durant and Westbrook both need to get out of there.

0nekhmer
07-14-2014, 03:58 PM
I think any team that can get past the spurs to the finals will be champions. Only team i can see doing that is the clippers. OKC replaced sefolosha with morrow, whos a slight upgrade. Still think they need a better centre. Perkins and Adams aren't good enough.

Red_Pill
07-14-2014, 04:41 PM
We're winning it all this year. I truly believe that.

And Clippersfan86, your Clippers lost because Chris Paul made some awful choices. Get over it already and accept your team lost. Same with Grizzlies fans.

kdspurman
07-14-2014, 04:54 PM

And Clippersfan86, your Clippers lost because Chris Paul made some awful choices. Get over it already and accept your team lost. Same with Grizzlies fans.

Are you confident in Brooks? Or do you think their talent will put them over the top at this point?

Jarvo
07-14-2014, 04:55 PM
PS change thread title to "Ref's year?" or "RefKC's year?"

Lol I gained so mich respect for Blake after this past season man and see why you saying that.

Iron24th
07-14-2014, 04:55 PM
They lost sefolosha and butler

They got morrow and telfair

I see a downgrade here

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM

On two of CP3's turnovers he was intentionally fouled and it went uncalled. That doesn't account for the other whistles blown the last minute of that game. It was as close to a rig job as I've ever experienced in my 15 years watching this team.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Lol I gained so mich respect for Blake after this past season man and see why you saying that.

As a Spurs fan who's played OKC like 3 times in the playoffs, you've probably been on the other end of that teams bogus reffing as well. Can't tell you how many times Durant would trip over his own foot and get free throws. Or Westbrook would do something reckless and off balance, and be rewarded with FT's. Or how many times the Clippers would literally breath on OKC and they would be awarded with FT's. Yet our guys like Griffin have bloodied faces and no calls.

Jarvo
07-14-2014, 08:02 PM
As a Spurs fan who's played OKC like 3 times in the playoffs, you've probably been on the other end of that teams bogus reffing as well. Can't tell you how many times Durant would trip over his own foot and get free throws. Or Westbrook would do something reckless and off balance, and be rewarded with FT's. Or how many times the Clippers would literally breath on OKC and they would be awarded with FT's. Yet our guys like Griffin have bloodied faces and no calls.

I don't even want to rant about how Harden and Durant got all those damn calls when we played them in 2012 smh

smith&wesson
07-14-2014, 08:04 PM
they lose to the spurs in the playoffs, and Durant bounces next season. sorry to say it, but I think that's exactly whats going to happen.

Clippersfan86
07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't even want to rant about how Harden and Durant got all those damn calls when we played them in 2012 smh

Playing either of them is horrible from a reffing stand point. Can't imagine BOTH. Then you have Westbrook who barrels into defenders full speed and gets calls. Recklessness should NOT be awarded with fouls IMO. If you're completely out of control, it should be a no call or a charge.

JordansBulls
07-14-2014, 09:54 PM
If they got Gasol I would say yes for sure.