PDA

View Full Version : Should Miami Target Bledsoe, now that they have Deng???

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Miami will not be the contenders they were with LBJ obviously. But Deng is a quality pick up and could be a decent fit alongside Bosh & Wade...

Would the core of Bledso, Wade, Deng, Bosh make them a top 4 team in the east though ?

I can't imagine PHX matching a lucrative offer for Bledsoe now that they are committed to Dragic, I.Thomas, & Ennis.

Nikeman
07-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Miami will not be the contenders they were with LBJ obviously. But Deng is a quality pick up and could be a decent fit alongside Bosh & Wade...

Would the core of Bledso, Wade, Deng, Bosh make them a top 4 team in the east though ?

I can't imagine PHX matching a lucrative offer for Bledsoe now that they are committed to Dragic, I.Thomas, & Ennis.

As a Miami fan, I would love Bledsoe, if we got Bledsoe, I think we would win the East. That being said, we have no money to give him a lucrative offer for one, and the second is he is a RFA, and Phoenix has 20+ mill in cap. They would match anything.

And from all reports out there, the Suns signed Isaiah Thomas to be a 6th man, not a starter.

Quinnsanity
07-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Explain how this works financially...

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 04:09 PM
As a Miami fan, I would love Bledsoe, if we got Bledsoe, I think we would win the East. That being said, we have no money to give him a lucrative offer for one, and the second is he is a RFA, and Phoenix has 20+ mill in cap. They would match anything.

And from all reports out there, the Suns signed Isaiah Thomas to be a 6th man, not a starter.

even if phx uses thomas as a 6th man. They will still have ennis and blesoe along with dragic... I mean they could match for all i know.. but I think maybe they would rather a s&t for assets

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Explain how this works financially...

going over the cap ? luxury tax ? s&t ? there are possibilities. Clearly Miami wants to stay competitive so I can see them wanting to add more pieces. Bledsoe seems like a great fit to me.

king4day
07-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Suns are matching any offer. There is 0% chance he lands in Miami next year.

EDIT: To add to this, Thomas was signed for 2 reasons.

1. To be the 6th man (a role like Crawford or JR Smith).
2. As insurance in case we can't re-sign Dragic next season when he opts out and likely demands max.

The belief as to why EB still hasn't signed is, like PJ Tucker, Phoenix brass is waiting to do all their free agency shopping first. Bledsoe's cap hold is super low and if we already re-signed him, there would be no money left to spend.

While he would make sense on a lot of teams, unless it's bringing back a star in return, he's going to be a Phoenix Sun next year guaranteed.

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Suns are matching any offer. There is 0% chance he lands in Miami next year

so whats holding them up from just signing him out right ?

Pierzynski4Prez
07-13-2014, 04:14 PM
going over the cap ? luxury tax ? s&t ? there are possibilities. Clearly Miami wants to stay competitive so I can see them wanting to add more pieces. Bledsoe seems like a great fit to me.

Can't go over the cap to sign a FA. What is there to trade on the roster?

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Can't go over the cap to sign a FA. What is there to trade on the roster?

cole, the rookie, future picks. Just speculating. I'm not a GM guys, Im just wondering if its a possibility. I didnt think there was a problem in having a basketball discussion in a basketball forum.

Clippersfan86
07-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Can't do it. Bledsoe won't sign an offer sheet for the money Miami has left. If guys like Hayward/Parsons are getting max.. you better believe Bledsoe who's better than both of them... is getting max.

king4day
07-13-2014, 04:17 PM

I just edited my post to give more reason but here's what I wrote:

To add to this, Thomas was signed for 2 reasons.

1. To be the 6th man (a role like Crawford or JR Smith).
2. As insurance in case we can't re-sign Dragic next season when he opts out and likely demands max.

The belief as to why EB still hasn't signed is, like PJ Tucker, Phoenix brass is waiting to do all their free agency shopping first. Bledsoe's cap hold is super low and if we already re-signed him, there would be no money left to spend.

While he would make sense on a lot of teams, unless it's bringing back a star in return, he's going to be a Phoenix Sun next year guaranteed.

Crackadalic
07-13-2014, 04:17 PM
He is not going to Miami for chump change and miami has nothing in a sign and trade worth going back to the suns.

Napier/Wade/Deng/McRoberts/Bosh Who else is on there roster can they trade for Bledsoe?

king4day
07-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Can't do it. Bledsoe won't sign an offer sheet for the money Miami has left. If guys like Hayward/Parsons are getting max.. you better believe Bledsoe who's better than both of them... is getting max.

Exactly. Once Hayward got the max, I think that officially set Bledsoe's market. I believe the Suns brass told him we'll give you max and to just hang tight for now.

king4day
07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
He is not going to Miami for chump change and miami has nothing in a sign and trade worth going back to the suns.

Napier/Wade/Deng/McRoberts/Bosh Who else is on there roster can they trade for Bledsoe?

To compare, before the draft, the Suns had already turned down a sign and trade offer from the Kings of Isaiah Thomas and the #8 pick for Bledsoe.

Nikeman
07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat now
Once Heat capped, with have $2.7M exception. Getting close, at about $58M with Bosh, Wade, Deng, McRoberts, Granger, Cole, Napier, Haslem.

Close this thread, we aren't getting Bledsoe for 5 million

Clippersfan86
07-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Pretty much. Bledsoe will get 3 times that here shortly. Like King said, these other ridiculous signings set the market for tier 2 and 3 players to be max contracts. Although in Bledsoe's case, he's far more worthy of it than guys like Hayward and Parsons. Let us not forget Bledsoe was a top 5 PG last year arguably leading up to his injury. Something like 21/6/5/2 on great efficiency and with elite defense.

Cracka2HI!
07-13-2014, 04:28 PM
It does seem like Phx is ready to move on from Bledsoe. I'll bet his knee injury was worse than we know. Not sure Miami can make an offer the Suns wouldn't match tho. Anyone know what kind of cap they'll have after signing Wade? I think maybe $3-5 mil

Dade County
07-13-2014, 04:29 PM
All of this maybe would of been a nonissue if the HEAT would have known a certain person was leaving earlier, so they could have targeted Lowry & Gortat, and maybe got one of them.

Clippersfan86
07-13-2014, 04:33 PM
It does seem like Phx is ready to move on from Bledsoe. I'll bet his knee injury was worse than we know. Not sure Miami can make an offer the Suns wouldn't match tho. Anyone know what kind of cap they'll have after signing Wade? I think maybe $3-5 mil

How so? Phoenix has given all assurances they are keeping Bledsoe. Which is a big part of why nobody is trying to sign him to offer sheets that we know of. They are positive he will be matched pretty much. What many non Clippers fans don't know is during the lockout Bledsoe had a torn Meniscus in his other knee as well and had a secretly done surgery (because he wasn't allowed to contact team anyway). So he's had both knees have a meniscus surgery. That being said, he's young, freakishly gifted and the knees likely won't catch up to him for a good 5+ years at least, so worth maxing now.

mdm692
07-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Ummmmm signing another player like an upgrade at SF or PF then once we've used the cap space we can go over the cap to resign Bledsoe. We are still sitting on 20 MILLION.

jmartin80
07-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Does the Heat forum not have an offseason thread to discuss this?

I really hope we don't start getting every thread of every potential player that the Heat could look at...

Minimal
07-13-2014, 04:42 PM
All of this maybe would of been a nonissue if the HEAT would have known a certain person was leaving earlier, so they could have targeted Lowry & Gortat, and maybe got one of them.
lets be real here, there is no way miami would have landed gortat or lowry if they knew lebron was leaving.

Chucky Woods
07-13-2014, 04:45 PM
The Heat are doing a fantastic job of putting together a 40 win team.

Cracka2HI!
07-13-2014, 04:45 PM
How so? Phoenix has given all assurances they are keeping Bledsoe. Which is a big part of why nobody is trying to sign him to offer sheets that we know of. They are positive he will be matched pretty much. What many non Clippers fans don't know is during the lockout Bledsoe had a torn Meniscus in his other knee as well and had a secretly done surgery (because he wasn't allowed to contact team anyway). So he's had both knees have a meniscus surgery. That being said, he's young, freakishly gifted and the knees likely won't catch up to him for a good 5+ years at least, so worth maxing now.
I'm just speculating since Phoenix drafted and signed a FA PG that they may be willing to move on from Bledsoe. I actually haven't heard anything one way or another and could be completely wrong. However if they are ready to move on from him, I would bet his knees are worse off than we know. Again just speculating.

mdm692
07-13-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm just speculating since Phoenix drafted and signed a FA PG that they may be willing to move on from Bledsoe. I actually haven't heard anything one way or another and could be completely wrong. However if they are ready to move on from him, I would bet his knees are worse off than we know. Again just speculating.
The FO already clarified MULTIPLE times. Thomas is here to be a 6TH MAN not a starter.

mjt20mik
07-13-2014, 05:20 PM

That's free agency for you.

Big Zo
07-13-2014, 05:23 PM

I really hope we don't start getting every thread of every potential player that the Heat could look at...

No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to open the thread.

Minimal
07-13-2014, 05:35 PM
pat should have targeted mini lebron before signing deng, now its impossible

Cracka2HI!
07-13-2014, 05:44 PM
The FO already clarified MULTIPLE times. Thomas is here to be a 6TH MAN not a starter.Like I said, I was SPECULATING.

camador22
07-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Not impossible by any means. The cap is 63 million this season. McRoberts and Granger could be used as mid level exceptions so they don't count. If Wade takes a deal starting at 15m they have plenty of money. That leaves about 14 million approximately. Everyone else would have to be the vets minimum

Bosh 20m
Wade 15m
Cole 2m
Deng 10m
Haslem 2m

rapsjaysfan88
07-13-2014, 05:56 PM
why the hell did they give so much to bosh? like wtf. horrible contract....

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 06:14 PM

this was my thinking as well. PHX could match any offer, anyones guess is as good as ours. but to me it seems they are less likely inclined too and could just keep the cap flex to build on what they currently have .. because really they dont need 4 pgs even if 1 of them is a combo gaurd, he is really undersized to be a sg. but i guess we will see. I just dont think its a lock for bledsoe to go back to phx as some might think..

its a basketball thread, in a basketball forum, made for basketball free agency discussion. lighten up.

thank you

ATX
07-13-2014, 06:15 PM

If Miami didn't give him max money, he was going to Houston for max money...What is it thats hard to understand? Moreover, Riley is in his twilight years and wants to contend, putting off a rebuild until after Wade retires. Besides considering the current FA session and what players are getting, Bosh is a max player...And if Bosh left, what would Miami had been left with...Jack **** is what.

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 06:16 PM

I was wondering the same, I guess riley had to outbid Houston to retain him. but dam, bosh could have helped his team keep some cap space and build around himself and wade to give him self and his team a chance to be competetive in the east.

smith&wesson
07-13-2014, 06:17 PM
If Miami didn't give him max money, he was going to Houston for max money...What is it thats hard to understand? Moreover, Riley is in his twilight years and wants to contend, putting off a rebuild until after Wade retires. Besides considering the current FA session and what players are getting, Bosh is a max player...And if Bosh left, what would Miami had been left with...Jack **** is what.

agreed, but if Bosh wanted the team to be as competetive as it could be maybe he could have signed another back loaded contract givieng Miami some space now to add another peice to the new core.

ATX
07-13-2014, 06:27 PM
agreed, but if Bosh wanted the team to be as competetive as it could be maybe he could have signed another back loaded contract givieng Miami some space now to add another peice to the new core.

I hear ya, but as a Heat fan, I am thrilled Bosh is back with Wade regardless of the money (Of course I agree he could've took less). I doubt Deng would've signed if Miami was in complete rebuild mode. It could've been a lot worse for the Heat next season.

Cracka2HI!
07-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Not impossible by any means. The cap is 63 million this season. McRoberts and Granger could be used as mid level exceptions so they don't count. If Wade takes a deal starting at 15m they have plenty of money. That leaves about 14 million approximately. Everyone else would have to be the vets minimum

Bosh 20m
Wade 15m
Cole 2m
Deng 10m
Haslem 2m

LOL, yes McRobets and Grangers contracts count against the cap. :facepalm:

jmartin80
07-13-2014, 06:47 PM

So true. But the forum already gets very watered down. I just don't think we should set the precedent that everyone can just make a thread for a free agent idea their team should pursue. There are other places for that. Not here. Just my opinion.

NBA_Starter
07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Nah, they got Rio back!:laugh:

FlashBolt
07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't know about the Bosh signing. It will hurt them in the long run. Paying $24 million to a 33-35 year old Bosh is not a good decision. I know they wanted to keep him from leaving so they had to make a risky move but can't say he's worth it. With that being said, Miami is done looking for PG's? Think they should start looking for some more size. With Wade probably going to be in-and-out again this season, perhaps they should look for some more offense?