PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the signing moratorium and Player only signing after the 10th?

jimm120
07-12-2014, 11:12 AM
The NBA put out a rule in which players can start negotiating on July 1st, but no one can sign for 10 days.

I really, really hate this rule. All it creates is a lot of verbal agreements which then have to be changed later on to accommodate new circumstances.

I See NO BENEFIT to players, fans, nor teams.

The one benefit I do see is for the NBA, in which it gets tons of rumors for 10 days without actually being able to do anything.

But sheesh, its tiring.

So, what do you think about this whole "must wait 10 days to sign players" rule?

IndyRealist
07-12-2014, 11:14 AM
The moratorium is so the NBA has time to do it's books and set the salary cap for next season. There is a lot of behind-the-scenes things that happen in those 10 days. July 1 is the official end of the season, which is why teams have to wait until then to talk to free agents. Players are still technically under contract with their previous teams until then.

The moratorium has nothing to do with generating hype. It's just business.

goingfor28
07-12-2014, 11:22 AM
It's stupid imo. If FA starts July 1, let them sign July 1. Otherwise just have it start the 10th

ink
07-12-2014, 11:28 AM
It's annoying, unecessary and just adds to the stupid media circus. The NBA doesn't need a week to do its books or a week to have people gossip and speculate. The L needs to have more confidence in BASKETBALL and give less attention to off the court garbage.

ink
07-12-2014, 11:29 AM
The moratorium is so the NBA has time to do it's books and set the salary cap for next season. There is a lot of behind-the-scenes things that happen in those 10 days. July 1 is the official end of the season, which is why teams have to wait until then to talk to free agents. Players are still technically under contract with their previous teams until then.

The moratorium has nothing to do with generating hype. It's just business.

Other leagues do just fine without it. It serves no necessary purpose.

IndyRealist
07-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Other leagues do just fine without it. It serves no necessary purpose.

Other leagues also have hard caps. The NBA has different rules for people under the cap, above the cap but below the tax line, and above the tax line. If they allow teams to sign deals before the salary cap is set, some contracts and trades might get voided (like the Pelicans attempting to acquire Omer Asik). Others, afraid of pushing themselves over the tax line, might be hesitant to hand out a contract and thus miss out on free agents.

Shammyguy3
07-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Other leagues also have hard caps. The NBA has different rules for people under the cap, above the cap but below the tax line, and above the tax line. If they allow teams to sign deals before the salary cap is set, some contracts and trades might get voided (like the Pelicans attempting to acquire Omer Asik). Others, afraid of pushing themselves over the tax line, might be hesitant to hand out a contract and thus miss out on free agents.

that's true, but the NBA doesn't need 9 days to figure out the cap floor, the soft-cap, the luxury tax line, etc. Ideally you have no moratorium... but I think this next CBA go-around, I think some teams (i.e. HOU) will demand a shorter moratorium (because if they had one then Bosh may be in HOU today).

Have FA start July 1st. Have players able to officially sign on July 5th. That's 4 days to get the books done, which should be plenty of time.

Quinnsanity
07-12-2014, 02:17 PM
The reason they need it is, like someone else said, the league needs time to get their books straight and generate the correct salary cap. The NFL does it too, but nobody notices because there's such a wide gap between the end of the season and the draft. In other words, they have free time between the Super Bowl and free agency, which is when they get their books straight and don't need a moratorium. The NBA transitions straight from the Finals to the draft, so they don't have that time right away. They need to push into July to do it. The alternative would be to push the draft back, which the NBA doesn't want to do because it knows that the Finals generates ratings for the draft.

jimm120
07-12-2014, 02:54 PM
It's annoying, unecessary and just adds to the stupid media circus. The NBA doesn't need a week to do its books or a week to have people gossip and speculate. The L needs to have more confidence in BASKETBALL and give less attention to off the court garbage.

Exactly. To me, its the "media circus" aspect.

A guy the other day posted ALL of the headlines/rumors from "media sources" that were told about Carmelo within the past 1 1/2 weeks.

Its ludicrous.

jimm120
07-12-2014, 02:57 PM
As for the cap floor etc...

what I heard is that its not estimated on THIS season, but the prior season. By mid-season, they (the league and teams) already have an idea of around where it will be.