PDA

View Full Version : How far is Lebron's Cavs from being a champ?

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:07 PM
How good is the personnel around him right now? How would he fare against the contenders including the Spurs. What does the GM need to add to make this a champ?

bucketss
07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
he has to be jordanesque to win with that sqaud against the west powerhouses, they're all inexperienced kids.

Redrum187
07-11-2014, 11:13 PM
It is hard to say since I haven't even seen them play.... Why not ask this after the season has started so we have a more accurate prediction/analysis? :P

raiderposting
07-11-2014, 11:16 PM
They'll come out the east. Don't think they'll beat the spurs

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Maybe some fans who have seen Cavs games more extensively... I've seen games here and there and have some idea of Irving....but do not know the other guys as much. So, point guard and small forward are a lock. Verajao's a pretty useful player.

I'm unsure about Love.... can he play well enough defensively to make this team a force (if the rumors are true)?

Asik's better
07-11-2014, 11:25 PM
A love away from a good chance at beating the spurs.

Nikeman
07-11-2014, 11:26 PM
I think they are a trade away, (Kevin Love), and a couple quality depth signings away from being a powerhouse for years to come.

Trade Wiggins/Bennet for Love, and keep Waitors, and TT, and they have a very young, but quality roster.

Irving- Age 22
Waitors- Age 22
LBJ- 29
Kevin Love- Age 25
Anderson V- 31

Depth:

Tristin Thompson

Possible additions:
Mike Miller
Ray Allen

Kyrie and LeBron are quality play-makers, who can score when needed to, Dion Waitors is a good scorer, Love is a top 3 PF, and Anderon V is a good hustle player, defender, rebounder as well.

TT gives a 10/10 big off the bench, and Miller/Allen have the potential to provide the best shooting in the NBA.

raiderposting
07-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Lebron had the cavs as a 1st seed with a pathetic team.

This team has at least some talent and Lebron will make them better.

Lebron will add ~25 wins himself

HouRealCoach
07-11-2014, 11:28 PM
They'll need some chemistry.. But right now, I'm saying Spurs again unless an injury happens

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:29 PM
How is Love's defense?
How good is Dion?

Just looking at the teams in the East, the Cavs have a real chance. Suddenly, the Cavs are the cinderella team that's intriguing.

Wrench
07-11-2014, 11:30 PM
If they got Love then I could see them making the finals. With the Bigs they have I don't see them getting there. Varej„o and Haywood are not going to slow anyone down.

bucketss
07-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Lebron had the cavs as a 1st seed with a pathetic team.

This team has at least some talent and Lebron will make them better.

Lebron will add ~25 wins himself

regular season yeah, but come playoffs, more so the finals if they were to make it, how do they stack up to spurs,clips, okc. i think they're 1-2 years away.

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:31 PM
By the way, when did Lebron and Dan Gilbert have this private one on one?

FlashBolt
07-11-2014, 11:31 PM
They really need Love, man. I don't think Wiggins is a player who can help them these next couple of years. He'll be under Bron's and Irving's shadow and certainly that hinders his talent considering he's still trying to prove himself. Cavs need to ship him out for Love. If not, I don't see this working out too well for Cleveland against that Spurs squad. One thing is for sure, I think James, Varejao, and Irving are untouchables with Allen/Mike Miller definitely coming to Cleveland.

FlashBolt
07-11-2014, 11:33 PM
By the way, when did Lebron and Dan Gilbert have this private one on one?

On Sunday in Miami. Apparently, Gilbert was on that jet that was rumored to be his. Crazy. No one had reported that James met anyone except Miami but he actually met Gilbert three days before in a 4 hour meeting. His meeting with Miami lasted only an hour. Safe to say that if this was leaked, it was probably going to be Cleveland all along.

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:33 PM
The pressure's on the front office... a gift falls back on your lap. I think they need some come of defensive anchor that would do some of the dirty work. And some shooters.

thomass
07-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Just turn on espn. They'll tell you. Nothing else is going on in the world today apparently.

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:37 PM
On Sunday in Miami. Apparently, Gilbert was on that jet that was rumored to be his. Crazy. No one had reported that James met anyone except Miami but he actually met Gilbert three days before in a 4 hour meeting. His meeting with Miami lasted only an hour. Safe to say that if this was leaked, it was probably going to be Cleveland all along.

I'd pay full ticket price to watch the tape of that meeting. I wonder what went on there.

I think Cleveland's reaction haunted him all four years (he's been Cleveland's hero since high school). Even if he has the option, no way Lebron leaves a second time. All the wait must have been writing that letter and making sure any differences with Gilbert and the organization are ironed out.

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:38 PM
NBA Game time sure picked the wrong time to go on hiatus. Just when I actually want to watch their show they are not scheduled for a while. Poor timing.

NoSleepTill
07-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Any team with Lebron is an automatic playoff team especially in the east but I think they'll need a year of playoff experience and growing pain to be a championship caliber team.

Jarvo
07-11-2014, 11:43 PM
If the Cavs get Love he is meehh on defense, He can rebound though. But I just don't see them winning the title next year. I think The Pacers can get over themselves with this "feud" they had with The Heat because Lebron is gone and play like how we thought they would. If the Bulls get Melo and Rose is 100% I pick them to win The East because maybe they get Gasol to join them.

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I don't know if Rose can stay healthy though.

utl768
07-11-2014, 11:47 PM
2-3 years minimum and probably 3-4

irving is highly overrated and the rest are just complimentary pieces

he is about where melo is with the knicks but a tad better although lebron makes his teamates better

Jarvo
07-11-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't know if Rose can stay healthy though.

I pray to God he does, I love watching him play and can't watch him go out like Penny and Brandon Roy :(

vangrumpy
07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
I pray to God he does, I love watching him play and can't watch him go out like Penny and Brandon Roy :(

Yeah, I hate it when players with promise become shells because of injur----Oden, Grant Hill, Penny, etc.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-12-2014, 12:09 AM
How good is the personnel around him right now? How would he fare against the contenders including the Spurs. What does the GM need to add to make this a champ?

Not fat at all. 2 good role players away from having a great battle in the finals with either spurs or thunder.

raiderposting
07-12-2014, 12:25 AM
2-3 years minimum and probably 3-4

irving is highly overrated and the rest are just complimentary pieces

he is about where melo is with the knicks but a tad better although lebron makes his teamates better

Cleveland has better pieces. Lebron and melo aren't in the same hemisphere.
They'll get to the finals but most likely lose to the spurs and then they'll win it the year after.

Jamiecballer
07-12-2014, 04:45 AM
They are quite a ways IMO. I don't think they will make it out of the first round this year honestly although I expect Lebron to add at least 15 to their win total.

vangrumpy
07-12-2014, 06:14 AM
I don't think they should trade Wiggins. What if he blows up and becomes a big time star? He could develop and be part of a swarming perimeter defense with Lebron.... they're not really going to win the championship the very first time out anyway. It's hard to get #1 lottery talent.

Kashmir13579
07-12-2014, 07:11 AM
This year. Sign bet me. Barring major injuries to lebrn.

slashsnake
07-12-2014, 07:47 AM
I don't think they should trade Wiggins. What if he blows up and becomes a big time star? He could develop and be part of a swarming perimeter defense with Lebron.... they're not really going to win the championship the very first time out anyway. It's hard to get #1 lottery talent.

I would try to keep him as well if I am them, though if it comes down to Wiggins or Love, hard not to go with Love there.

I think they are my favorite for the ECF champs this year (need to see Rose actually play and stay healthy, or Indiana get their heads on straight and where Lance goes). And if they get to the finals, they do have a shot, but I doubt I'd pick them as a favorite. So hard to say though until you see them playing together.

Hellcrooner
07-12-2014, 09:01 AM
the question here is

How will Kyrie work with Lebron handling and distributing a hughe chunck of the time, will he be happy with it?
Not to mention he has had injuries EvERY season.

and how will Love ( if they get him) react to not being able to chuck at will and be the focus on offense?

this thing may work worse than it looks in paper.

ChickenSouvlaki
07-12-2014, 09:26 AM
the question here is

How will Kyrie work with Lebron handling and distributing a hughe chunck of the time, will he be happy with it?

and how will Love ( if they get him) react to not being able to chuck at will and be the focus on offense?

Good points.

I think as far as Kyrie goes, he will actually compliment Lebron quite well and vice versa. Kyrie's best attribute is arguably his shooting, whether it is spot up, pull up, or what have you.

Kyrie is a distributor is great as well but I would argue his excellent shooting game is what will benefit most from the Cavs getting Lebron because he likely wont have the ball as much, but will receive many more open shots.

On the same token, Lebron has never really played with a true PG who can distribute like Kyrie can. That aspect will be interesting and I'm curious to see how Kyrie's distribution skills affect Lebron.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Depends if they keep Wiggins or trade for Love? They have a young core. But if they trade for Love. Then they will lose a couple young pieces and then be thinned out depth wise. Love would help them now. But Wiggins could explode after a season under his belt. They be sorry to trade rookie contract of Wiggins and other pieces for love. Ya Love gets them farther in the playoffs right now. But with the contracts of Irving,Love,LeBron. They wont have much depth. Depending upon whats involved in the Love trade? Will the Wolves try and gut the Cavs out and take many young assets and clean out the cupboards to the point where the Cavs are mainly a 3 man team of LeBron, Love, Irving? We will soon find out.

slashsnake
07-12-2014, 09:58 AM
the question here is

He has been hurt, but they are all if I remember right, things like broken fingers, nose, hands, etc. Not torn knee's, microfracture surgeries, shoulder issues where you would have a real injury worry.

Kyrie dominating the ball is an interesting facet, but I thought in the finals this year one thing the Heat were unable to do is let their PG and Wade, who both really fell off, play with the ball more like they did in the regular season and feed Lebron in the post. I don't think he wants to be the one expending all the energy every second of every posession much longer in his career.

Love will be interesting. Will he go like Bosh? Which I guess if you look at him and say a more efficient shooter, that could be scary. I don't think he'll fall to 6 boards a game though.

You are right that you don't really know how things will look. But on paper, a great PG, Lebron, and Love still looks like the best trio of talent in the NBA. Throw in the young guys with leaders to help them mature, and some vets at low cost wanting to win a championship, that team might be elite.

theheatles
07-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Three years. Next year they'll lose in the Eastern finals. Then pick up a couple stud spot up 3 pt snipers. Pick up Love in Free Agency. Then a year of that team to gel and get Love and Kyrie some playoff experience and then the next year they'll win it all.

Wade n Fade
07-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I wonder, if the draft lottery is not rigged, does Lebron even go back to Cleveland this year? I hope he does a S&T w/ Miami getting back assets, he doesn't owe us anything, but it would be nice for the 4 year ride and how Miami's front office treated him. I just wouldn't go to Cleveland myself. Miami and Cleveland both are not so great places to raise kids anyways imo. If I had to choose a place, I would go to a different city from the two. Too bad the Sonics don't exist. I would play in Seattle myself since that city is deserving of a team and it is one of the quickest growing cities in the US today. Cleveland doesn't deserve Lebron because of the urinal cake pissing and jersey burning. Miami is not saint like either when our fans flick off players in their face and the banwagoners represent the majority. Most fans probably cannot even find Miami on a map.

blahblahyoutoo
07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
if
A) they get Love for Wiggins
B) or Wiggins turns out 80% as good as he's projected to be in his 1st year
I could see them bastards going to the finals.

blahblahyoutoo
07-12-2014, 10:30 AM
They are quite a ways IMO. I don't think they will make it out of the first round this year honestly although I expect Lebron to add at least 15 to their win total.

lolwut?
lebron could carry a WNBA team to a EC finals himself.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Well... I assume that Wiggins will be at shooting guard? With LBJ as SF.

If they can land love, then they give up Bennet, Thompson and Wiaters? That gives them Irving, Wiggins LBJ and Love at 1,2, 3 and 4 and Anderson V at C.

My issue is that Anderson V and Irving are always injured, which means the team will be focused around Wiggins, LBJ and Love, which is fine.

I'd like to see the Cavs send out Anderson V and Irving to try and pick up Rondo and Marc Gasol. I think that would make the team a really strong defensive team, but I'm concerned that the deal is unlikely and that Gasol might not be a strong enough rebounder.

joeyc77
07-12-2014, 11:15 AM
I wonder, if the draft lottery is not rigged, does Lebron even go back to Cleveland this year? I hope he does a S&T w/ Miami getting back assets, he doesn't owe us anything, but it would be nice for the 4 year ride and how Miami's front office treated him. I just wouldn't go to Cleveland myself. Miami and Cleveland both are not so great places to raise kids anyways imo. If I had to choose a place, I would go to a different city from the two. Too bad the Sonics don't exist. I would play in Seattle myself since that city is deserving of a team and it is one of the quickest growing cities in the US today. Cleveland doesn't deserve Lebron because of the urinal cake pissing and jersey burning. Miami is not saint like either when our fans flick off players in their face and the banwagoners represent the majority. Most fans probably cannot even find Miami on a map.

You do know Lebron is from northeast Ohio right? Miami doesn't compare it terms of an area in his perspective, no area does.

And lol and Miami getting assets back.

shep33
07-12-2014, 11:18 AM
I think even if they do get Love that this team will have a lot of question marks.

- How healthy is Andy V?
-Can they improve defensively? Particularly Irving and Love if they do indeed get him
-How will Blatt be as an NBA head coach?

But my biggest question regards LBJ. He looked exhausted last year. Kyrie has had his injury problems in the past too, and has played in literally 0 significant games in his NBA career thus far. He also took a step back last year.

Without Love I think they can potentially be upset in round 2. With Love, I still don't think a title is guaranteed.

shep33
07-12-2014, 11:21 AM

If they can land love, then they give up Bennet, Thompson and Wiaters? That gives them Irving, Wiggins LBJ and Love at 1,2, 3 and 4 and Anderson V at C.

My issue is that Anderson V and Irving are always injured, which means the team will be focused around Wiggins, LBJ and Love, which is fine.

I'd like to see the Cavs send out Anderson V and Irving to try and pick up Rondo and Marc Gasol. I think that would make the team a really strong defensive team, but I'm concerned that the deal is unlikely and that Gasol might not be a strong enough rebounder.

Rondo + LBJ seems like a bad idea. Also there is no way that Minny accepts that terrible deal for Love. Wiggins would have to be included.

Thompson's ceiling looks like he's a 12 and 10 guy... out east. Bennett so far has not indicated that he's even an NBA player. The Celtics or Warriors package looks way more enticing. No way they trade Love without Wiggins

Hellcrooner
07-12-2014, 11:28 AM

having zach at his side takes a way a lot of rebounds from him.

If he is in a team where they need his rebounds he would up them to 9 at least.

slashsnake
07-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Interesting moves. Of course if they had Love with that group, with Rondo, Lebron and him, you might be playing with 3 of the best rebounding players at their position to pair with Marc.

Not sure I like Rondo... He does create, but when Lebron or Love get doubled and kick it out to the open shooter and that guy is Rondo... He's the one where the defender can sag down into the paint to help out with.

prodigy
07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
If bulls get melo they could be a tough task. But cavs should win east. Going against the west champs will be very tough. Add love I think thy can def win finals. It will be tough though.

Jamiecballer
07-12-2014, 01:00 PM
lolwut?
lebron could carry a WNBA team to a EC finals himself.
He's not invincible as we just saw. I'm not a fan of his teammates as currently composed. Inexperience and immaturity are real wildcards in a playoff run.

futureman
07-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Dan Gilbert will screw this up somehow. He is unstable and the worst owner next to Donald Sterling.

WITZ
07-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Dan Gilbert will screw this up somehow. He is unstable and the worst owner next to Donald Sterling.

Agreed as long as Gilbert is the owner lebron will never play for the cavs...oh wait :laugh2:

JWO35
07-12-2014, 01:15 PM
If they add Kevin Love(without giving up sideshow Bob) they are legit contenders... But with their current roster I think it would be hell just getting to the ECF.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2014, 01:43 PM
the question here is

I think the concern with Irving is legit. I don't see him as being effective without the ball or being able to share with LBJ and Love AND Wiggins if they keep them.

I think Love and LBJ would be great together.... LBJ would get him open looks because Love is used to being the focus of opposing defenses. LBJ would get him more open looks, and Love is a much better passer than Bosh, LBJ and Love can do some give-and-go.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Wolves hang up the phone if Wiggins isn't in the Love trade. Wolves wanna pull a Denver of Melo and the Knicks trade. Clean out the cupboards.

Sneaky
07-12-2014, 05:35 PM
They'll come out the east. Don't think they'll beat the spurs

This, right now. Let's see what happens with Love though.

NYKNYGNYY
07-12-2014, 05:47 PM
https://twitter.com/espnnewyork/status/488076486184681472

2/41 mil
Can opt out after this season
Does this stop love from commiting to Cleveland ?

SILVER SEAVER
07-12-2014, 06:30 PM
He was complaining about the load he had to shoulder last season on a veteran team, what does he anticipate is going to happen playing with wet behind the ears players and a raw phenom, that is assuming the Love trade doesn't go through and Wiggins stays in Cleveland like they are initially saying.

SILVER SEAVER
07-12-2014, 06:33 PM
https://twitter.com/espnnewyork/status/488076486184681472

2/41 mil
Can opt out after this season
Does this stop love from commiting to Cleveland ?

Anybody who wants to go to Cleveland to play alongside him better take this into consideration before signing for four to five years because that can turn into a basketball purgatory in a hurry if he leaves again.

SILVER SEAVER
07-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Him going to Cleveland doesn't win them the East this season. Two much inexperience and not enough time to truly gel together. The Big Three in Boston and Miami were two unique situations where they went to veteran filled teams and things just fell into place immediately. If LeBron got this team into the Finals with that much inexperience he has to be mentioned as the greatest of all-time.

Nikeman
07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Anybody who wants to go to Cleveland to play alongside him better take this into consideration before signing for four to five years because that can turn into a basketball purgatory in a hurry if he leaves again.

LOL He's not leaving bro..

RenegadeRiot36
07-12-2014, 07:17 PM
I think the concern with Irving is legit. I don't see him as being effective without the ball or being able to share with LBJ and Love AND Wiggins if they keep them.

I think Love and LBJ would be great together.... LBJ would get him open looks because Love is used to being the focus of opposing defenses. LBJ would get him more open looks, and Love is a much better passer than Bosh, LBJ and Love can do some give-and-go.

Kyrie is one of the best spot up shooters in the league. Most people familiar with the organization all agree that he is a great fit next to Lebron. The reason he doesnt rack up huge assist numbers is bc not a single one of his teammates can consistantly finish at the rim. Ive seen a million missed layups in his three years so far. The one thing that Lebron and Wiggins can do is finish at the rim, so that wont be an issue. As a side note, Wiggins wont be getting the ball much anyway. They have said that he will play the 2 as a defensive stopper and work on developing his shooting.

Sanjay
07-12-2014, 08:10 PM
If they can get Love I think they can win the East next year (depending on how the Pacers perform in the playoffs and especially with Melo not going to the Bulls). However, I do not see the Spurs losing until Duncan and Ginobili retire and I would even rate the Thunder better than the Cavaliers (with Love).