PDA

View Full Version : It's obvious Carmelo doesn't REALLY want New York (or LA)

Sssmush
07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I mean, can he possibly make it any more obvious? Either he's long ago made a decision but just wants to keep basking in the freedom and attention of free agency a while longer... OR he still honestly doesn't know what he will do!

Either way, New York ( and LA ), he is certainly not worried what you think, and it's pretty clear that, in his mind, playing for the Knicks ( or the Lakers ) isn't a very big deal.

If you ask me, this has to effect the evaluation of his championship potential. He is UNDECIDED, indecisive. Will he ever be loyal enough to really lay it all on the line for your team? It's very doubtful.

NYKnickFanatic
07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Supposedly he has ruled out LA and it's between NY and CHI.

If Melo doesn't re-sign, then I would like to see him go to CHI, as it would be the perfect fit.

http://lasportshub.com/2014/07/11/let-dominos-fall-lebron-returns-cleveland/

The first bit of news after James’ decision involved the Los Angeles Lakers and their pursuit of Carmelo Anthony. Anthony, according to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, is no longer considering the Lakers and will only be looking at the Chicago Bulls and the New York Knicks going forward.

jerellh528
07-11-2014, 03:40 PM
He's gunna be a bull

Ware_Spencer
07-11-2014, 03:45 PM
All this talk of Wiggins for Love...........

Why not Wiggins for Melo in a sign and trade????

Knicks need to rebuild anyway.

lol, please
07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I mean, can he possibly make it any more obvious? Either he's long ago made a decision but just wants to keep basking in the freedom and attention of free agency a while longer... OR he still honestly doesn't know what he will do!

Either way, New York ( and LA ), he is certainly not worried what you think, and it's pretty clear that, in his mind, playing for the Knicks ( or the Lakers ) isn't a very big deal.

If you ask me, this has to effect the evaluation of his championship potential. He is UNDECIDED, indecisive. Will he ever be loyal enough to really lay it all on the line for your team? It's very doubtful.

So, who cares? Let him go where he wants.

TurboDEEZsmoke
07-11-2014, 04:10 PM

Stop it

ohreally
07-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Love is still under contract. No way you give up a #1 for an unrestricted FA.

But anyway...unless Melo goes to Cleveland somehow, it seems Chicago is a bigger question now since they are in the same division as the Cavs. Lakers taking Lin could very well be in order to flip him to NY, or try to, while signing Melo. Otherwise LA would seem out of the picture since Lin ain't exactly a Melo favorite. New York is looking more likely now.

GottaLoveCubs
07-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Melo doesn't want to be in Cleveland. Sorry.
He was waiting for Lebron to make up his mind. Bulls were out of it until yesterday afternoon. I'm assuming that's when he found out about Lebron going to Cleveland.
My thinking was that if Lebron resigned with Miami, Melo was going to resign in NY and hope that Lebron opts out after 1 year and join him in NY. Now with Lebron signing a long term deal with the Cavs, even though NY will have a ton of cap space next year, there won't be any FA that will help them get a ring. LA is in the same boat. Going to have a ton of cap space, but they won't be able to compete for a ring in the west.

NBA_Starter
07-11-2014, 07:30 PM
He's trying to find a way to get all of his money and still end up in Chicago.

setman2000
07-11-2014, 08:46 PM
He's trying to find a way to get all of his money and still end up in Chicago.

This 100% - just like when he made NY gut their team so he could get the extra year max that he's now opting out of!

shep33
07-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah he's waiting on Chicago

GottaLoveCubs
07-11-2014, 09:00 PM
This 100% - just like when he made NY gut their team so he could get the extra year max that he's now opting out of!

Bulls won't have to completely gut their team like NY did. Best player in the league was traded for a couple of 1st and 2nd rd draft picks in the S&T deal. Bulls will have to make the money match up enough and send a few 2nd rd picks.

beasted86
07-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Bulls won't have to completely gut their team like NY did. Best player in the league was traded for a couple of 1st and 2nd rd draft picks in the S&T deal. Bulls will have to make the money match up enough and send a few 2nd rd picks.

When (IF) the Bulls clear the cap space, then you are absolutely right. But right now the Bulls don't have the cap space, and would realistically need to trade at least 4 players or Gibson to clear the cap space, which would essentially be "gutting" the team. Either your gutting your depth, or your gutting your front court defense by playing Melo at PF.

Knick bag
07-11-2014, 09:42 PM
When (IF) the Bulls clear the cap space, then you are absolutely right. But right now the Bulls don't have the cap space, and would realistically need to trade at least 4 players or Gibson to clear the cap space, which would essentially be "gutting" the team. Either your gutting your depth, or your gutting your front court defense by playing Melo at PF.

This. Is Chicago willing/able to do it. Phil not gonna lay down like Knick Management in the past.

mudvayne387
07-11-2014, 09:57 PM
My dream scenario as a Knicks fan would be a S&T to Chicago, tank for a high pick , and have tons of cap room for next off season. If Melo really wants Chicago, I have a hard time believing he will leave 40 million on the table ...

Iggz53
07-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Meh, Boozer, Dunleavy, and Taj and picks would be enough to get it done. I don't really think trading Taj Gibson is gutting the team, and Mirotic will get plenty of minutes at PF, along with Melo (who had his best success by far playing PF in NY). Question is whether 1. Knicks will budge and 2. Bulls are willing to give up Taj. That's of course assuming he needs a max. Clearing Boozer, Dunleavy, and Randolph would allow the Bulls to come pretty damn close.

NBA_Starter
07-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Maybe Melo will announce at half of The World Cup to one up LeBron.

1-800-STFU
07-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Melo at PF is where you get the best mismatches and he can maximize his offensive ability. A cast of scrubs around Rose/Melo/Noah is good enough. Confident Thibs can make it work.

Shammyguy3
07-11-2014, 10:22 PM
add Snell + non-guaranteed contracts of Brewer & Smith to that too

DarkKnight
07-11-2014, 10:26 PM
cool

NBA_Starter
07-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Who would start at the 3 if Melo is the 4?

Oldmantrash
07-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Why would the Knicks take Boozer, makes no sense for them, just to help the Bulls
Bulls are going to have to really sweeten pot, I don't see Phil Jackson giving in to anything that won't help Knicks a lot

mudvayne387
07-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Why would the Knicks take Boozer, makes no sense for them, just to help the Bulls
Bulls are going to have to really sweeten pot, I don't see Phil Jackson giving in to anything that won't help Knicks a lot

Thank you , at least someone gets it. It would be no less than Gibson/McDermott or the foreigner and a 1st ...

Ideally and I don't know if this works cap wise, but it would be:

Anthony
Smith

For

Boozer
Gibson
McDermott
1st

Vinny642
07-12-2014, 02:49 AM
That awkward moment when he returns to the Knicks

Kashmir13579
07-12-2014, 02:53 AM
**** what melo wants

lamzoka
07-12-2014, 03:55 AM
As a knick fan I dont give 2 ****s if melo wants chicago, they can have him. but Phil won't make it easy for him.

Its either take the $129M, or lets work out a sign and trade where we get Taj Gibson, McDermoot and a couple of picks or sign with bulls with whatever pocket change they have left.

east fb knicks
07-12-2014, 04:08 AM
lmao you people are tools melo was waiting to see if pau would come to ny now that he's going to chi expect melo to resign tomoro :dance: thank you mr bulls owner for being cheap and not going after melo harder:cheers:

GottaLoveCubs
07-12-2014, 05:08 AM
lmao you people are tools melo was waiting to see if pau would come to ny now that he's going to chi expect melo to resign tomoro :dance: thank you mr bulls owner for being cheap and not going after melo harder:cheers:

Being cheap? Melo wasn't coming to Chicago for 14 a year. And that's all they would have had to offer after getting rid of boozer and trading dunleavy. If we traded Taj, then we'd have a huge hole at the 4.

Sssmush
07-12-2014, 05:32 AM
That awkward moment when he returns to the Knicks

This ^

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-12-2014, 06:52 AM

you make no sense

Vinny642
07-12-2014, 06:54 AM

Arent you paying Melo max money? To do what... not makes the playoffs, and certainly not win a title? The Bulls are better with Pau than the Knicks with Melo

Thumper 88
07-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Think melo would go to the heat?

Dade County
07-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Think melo would go to the heat?

The story that no one wants to talk about.

He could even use Miami as leverage so Ny has to at least think about trading him to the Bulls, since the Lakers are out of the race.

He ca say, I can just walk to Miami, sign a 2yr contract, 1yr player opt out; then sign with any team he wants.

Holydiver
07-12-2014, 11:01 AM
:eyebrow:

Jorge Sedano ‏@SedanoESPN 1h

That's bc he's texting with Riles. RT“@DVNJr: Phil Jackson has 13 rings but zero texts, in the last 48 hours, from Carmelo. #keepingscore”

SLY WILLIAMS
07-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I do not like this battered spouse mentality that some Knicks fans now have where Melo can go flirt with other teams despite the Knicks offering him the most money by far. Some Knicks fans want him back no matter what. I do not think Knicks fans of the past would have put up with this. If Clyde, Bernard, or Patrick ever pulled this garbage Knicks fans in the past would have just said don't let the door hit you in the butt. Melo has had a me first rep for a long time and nothing he is doing now is changing that. My guess is he will come back at a small discount and then try to spin it as doing what was best for the team. If he really bled Orange and Blue he would have never pulled this garbage and he would already be signed.

Holydiver
07-12-2014, 11:04 AM
why do you want a guy that destroyed your roster then opted out, then gets offered the max, then wont sign?

jimm120
07-12-2014, 11:07 AM
why do you want a guy that destroyed your roster then opted out, then gets offered the max, then wont sign?

Who said he won't sign?

Free agency officially began Thursday....and the REAL free agency started Friday, after Lebron announced his decision.

Bring The Heat
07-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Why not come to south beach and form the new big 3 with wade and bosh? Lol that would be great for us after losing Lebron.. Wed be back to contending again.. Then sign Greg Monroe... Napier, wade, Melo, bosh, Monroe starting lineup would be solid... Unlikely tho :/

Holydiver
07-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Why not come to south beach and form the new big 3 with wade and bosh? Lol that would be great for us after losing Lebron.. Wed be back to contending again.. Then sign Greg Monroe... Napier, wade, Melo, bosh, Monroe starting lineup would be solid... Unlikely tho :/

wade is done, bosh is a 3 point shooter, and Melo <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Lebron, hardly a big 3

VendettaRed07
07-12-2014, 11:12 AM

l don't.

l also don't want an overpaid chucking coach killer taking half the shots while we are trying to rebuild with a new coach/ system and playing at/sub .500 basketball

l hope he goes to Miami. l really do. Or Chicago. Anywhere. Go be someone else's problem please. l want a basketball team again. l don't even care if we suck. We'll suck regardless anyway. So l'd rather suck with some likeable young guys l can root for.

Holydiver
07-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick 3m

The Heat re-signing Bosh and (soon) Wade pretty much guarantees the Cavaliers will be picking in the Heat's slot in 2015.

Cavs will be a beast for a decade

l don't.

l also don't want an overpaid chucking coach killer taking half the shots while we are trying to rebuild with a new coach/ system and playing at/sub .500 basketball

l hope he goes to Miami. l really do. Or Chicago. Anywhere. Go be someone else's problem please. l want a basketball team again. l don't even care if we suck. We'll suck regardless anyway. So l'd rather suck with some likeable young guys l can root for.

sounds like your team before Melo

Max.This
07-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Idk how you guys would obtain monroe. Jordan hill got 9 mil a year. The market is set for him to make a lot more than what the Heat can offer considering theyve already signed chris bosh to a super max, melo... probably max and wade at somewhere close to the max.

Max.This
07-12-2014, 11:25 AM
l don't.

yeah i dont get why ppl think we lose if melo leaves. We are fringe playoff with melo and top 5 pick without him. We finally get a first round pick and its time we get a franchise player like okafor, mudiay etc. I'd love to watch a younger team out there instead of veterans on the verge of retirement (kidd, camby, rasheed, kurt thomas)......

Bring The Heat
07-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Yea your probably right only chance would be if wade didn't take too much money which he most likely will. We badly need a center and Monroe would be nice fit

GottaLoveCubs
07-12-2014, 11:37 AM
I do not like this battered spouse mentality that some Knicks fans now have where Melo can go flirt with other teams despite the Knicks offering him the most money by far. Some Knicks fans want him back no matter what. I do not think Knicks fans of the past would have put up with this. If Clyde, Bernard, or Patrick ever pulled this garbage Knicks fans in the past would have just said don't let the door hit you in the butt. Melo has had a me first rep for a long time and nothing he is doing now is changing that. My guess is he will come back at a small discount and then try to spin it as doing what was best for the team. If he really bled Orange and Blue he would have never pulled this garbage and he would already be signed.

How selfish of him to put his family first! OMG! What a POS!

SLY WILLIAMS
07-12-2014, 11:39 AM
How selfish of him to put his family first! OMG! What a POS!

Put his family first? His wife wants to stay in NY. This was never about his family.

slashsnake
07-12-2014, 11:39 AM

I think that the Heat getting Melo is the only place he could go where the fan base is upset at their offseason. lol

Not sure if I would if I was him. Especially if you have Bosh locked into a bigger contract and Wade locked in a big one. Melo would be taking a max deal of course (he wouldn't be signing for 15 mil a year with Bosh making 23).

So basically they are worse off against the cap than last season

With Wade who looks to be in decline.

In a conference that could be a lot tougher (Cleveland, maybe a healthy Chicago)

And Melo replacing Lebron. I have no doubt Melo thinks he is amazing, but I don't think even he believes he can do more than Lebron with less to work with.

If he wants a max contract, NY and wait a year might sound better for future winning and getting that. If he wants to win, I'd still pick Chicago.

Joker117
07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
I think that the Heat getting Melo is the only place he could go where the fan base is upset at their offseason. lol

Not sure if I would if I was him. Especially if you have Bosh locked into a bigger contract and Wade locked in a big one. Melo would be taking a max deal of course (he wouldn't be signing for 15 mil a year with Bosh making 23).

So basically they are worse off against the cap than last season

With Wade who looks to be in decline.

In a conference that could be a lot tougher (Cleveland, maybe a healthy Chicago)

And Melo replacing Lebron. I have no doubt Melo thinks he is amazing, but I don't think even he believes he can do more than Lebron with less to work with.

If he wants a max contract, NY and wait a year might sound better for future winning and getting that. If he wants to win, I'd still pick Chicago.

Just adding to your point ...even melo has to know as good as his game is he isn't doing what lbj does (as many assist , such a mismatch , play almost every position and so on) ...melo is a solid mismatch 1v1 and ios ..also brings an amazing scoring talent but he should know better than to think that makes Miami able to beat Houston/spurs etc..

I'd hate it if he went to Miami ..Chicago I'd be sad but I'd understand I mean he literally looks the part of everything they're missing ...

But staying in NY should be considered even if we don't improve how some of us NYK fans think we have/will ..melo still gets max money and will have an low cap team after..run by Phil ..it's gotta be enticing ..

slashsnake
07-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Just adding to your point ...even melo has to know as good as his game is he isn't doing what lbj does (as many assist , such a mismatch , play almost every position and so on) ...melo is a solid mismatch 1v1 and ios ..also brings an amazing scoring talent but he should know better than to think that makes Miami able to beat Houston/spurs etc..

I'd hate it if he went to Miami ..Chicago I'd be sad but I'd understand I mean he literally looks the part of everything they're missing ...

But staying in NY should be considered even if we don't improve how some of us NYK fans think we have/will ..melo still gets max money and will have an low cap team after..run by Phil ..it's gotta be enticing ..

NY has a good selling point. 60 million of them, and who knows how many million more with that market. Just the "wait a year" sell that might be hard to take. What if a year comes and goes, and NY doesn't get that top free agent they want, and ends up taking the next best thing like they had to with Amare? It's basically throwing a year for him on the back burner to be a serious title contender.

Not sure if Bosh's deal is a done deal, but that basically puts Miami out of it. Melo and Bosh on max deals wouldn't work well.

If he wants the pay cut to win, yeah Houston or Chicago look like nice choices there. But that is a BIG paycut there, and with his shoulder and age, this might be his last max long term deal.

I can't blame him for going for the money. Lebron kinda screwed it for a lot of guys taking less so young where all of a sudden that's an option we think. Not really. For Dirk and Duncan at this point, ok. But what were they doing at 30? Oh yeah, both of those guys were earning top 3 money in the league as they should.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Yea, I agree. He doesn't want to stay in NY.

Sssmush
07-12-2014, 09:42 PM
It occurs to me that with all the max destinations off the map, and with Carmelo still dragging his feet, Phil could step in at this point and play hardball with Carmelo.

Lowball him with a 5 year $100m, opt out after four years,
no no-trade clause. Take the deal or hit the bricks pal. Toronto and Milwaukee need scorers.

NBA_Starter
07-12-2014, 10:16 PM
It looks like he is staying.

DarkKnight
07-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Yea, I agree. He doesn't want to stay in NY.

you stole my line :laugh:

Sssmush
07-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Yeah, it's not like he just fulfilled his lifelong dream in the ideal situation by resigning with the Knicks.

He spent more than 10 days flirting with every team that could muster a pitch, Windhorst leaked rumors that Lebron and Carmelo wished they could team up in LA, he tried to force a s&t to Chicago (which Phil laughed at) and now after almost two weeks of this he backs into max max money and you don't hear anything about loyalty or the prestige of playing for the Knicks.

To me its kind of a fail, and is like a *meh* flat farted sneaky version of The Decision.

It's like he WISHED he could do a decision but just decided it costs too much and there were no slam dunk sure-title superteams to go to so he settled for max max $$ to stay.

Sssmush
07-13-2014, 12:00 AM
I mean at least say something. At peast pretend youre excited or thrilled or committed. NYK just gave you the world along with Phil Jackson.

What a putz. Dorkiest free agency ever (dream fulfilled??). He just had to take it 2 days longer than Lebron who had already set a record for dragging out mysterious indecision.

PS LoL what happens when Lebron wants to leave again? Do they immediately start burning jerseys on their lawns again and calling him a traitorous slimey $&@$%^#€%$&%#% ??

DarkKnight
07-13-2014, 12:37 AM
Lebron won't leave. Thats it , he's there forever