PDA

View Full Version : The end of an empire.....

raiderfaninTX
07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
It looks like the LA Lakers will not get lebron, melo, or any other big free agent, and they don't have a coach. Wtf has happened to this team in the last three years?

People will say it ended awhile ago but with what appears to be the total rejection by big name players and them not being the best team in their own city verifies their fall from grace for me. Who or what is responsible for this teams fall?

It's nuts to me looking at their team the last 15 years and the dominance they had, and looking at them now.

NYKnickFanatic
07-10-2014, 03:43 PM
It looks like the LA Lakers will not get lebron, melo, or any other big free agent, and they don't have a coach. Wtf has happened to this team in the last three years?

People will say it ended awhile ago but with what appears to be the total rejection by big name players and them not being the best team in their own city verifies their fall from grace for me. Who or what is responsible for this teams fall?

It's nuts to me looking at their team the last 15 years and the dominance they had, and looking at them now.

Jerry Buss died.

jerellh528
07-10-2014, 03:43 PM
They are 4 years removed from back 2 back rings. And 2 years removed from having the best on paper roster on the nba. Can't win a ring every year, they will be fine within 3 seasons.

Gibby23
07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
WTF? You want to win every year? Teams go through losing periods. It's going to take 3 or 4 more years to get back, but the last 15 years were a blast. The 90's had fun teams to watch. I remember 2 championships in the 80's and losing to Jordan in 90 to cause the 10 year drought.

rockets-fan
07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
They're the lakers, give then 2-3 more years and watch them at least be star filled. The right FAs haven't became available, in like 90% sure love goes there, and Westbrook if OKC can't win a title by 16. They just don't BELIVE in rebuilding over a period of time. They rather just trade it sign there stars. Which isn't a bad thing, if it works it works

raiderfaninTX
07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
So now you're saying it's okay for the lakers to struggle for a total of 7 years? Wow how the
Mighty have fallen

thomass
07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm a motha ****ing gay fish.

LAKobeBryant

please enlighten me on where all the "big free agents" are going since you are so certain
and every franchise has their downfalls including lakers 04-07 pretty much resembles last 3 years of lakers

Greedy22
Jumping the gun here man.

NYKnickFanatic
07-10-2014, 03:47 PM
So now you're saying it's okay for the lakers to struggle for a total of 7 years? Wow how the
Mighty have fallen

Lol, struggle? Try being a Knicks fan.

ManRam
07-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Aging star and a failed attempt at getting another one. We'll see if they have the patience needed to get back to the top. Can't sustain that success forever.

LAKobeBryant
07-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Mighty have fallen

wait you just said they had 15 years of dominance now 7 years of failure?

Gibby23
07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Mighty have fallen

Yup. Im fine with it. I hope they keep draft picks for now on and sign the right FA. I want them to go young and have a team ready for the next star to jump into. Randle could be a start and I wouldn't get Melo, I would sign Stephenson for 4 years at $12 million a year.

Quinnsanity
07-10-2014, 03:58 PM
They're going to try to clear the decks for 2016 and Kevin Durant. That's the smart play.

Pablonovi
07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
The Emperor Has No Clothes? *

* And is: fat, ugly, dumb &, worse still, "microscopic" (hehe)

FlashBolt
07-10-2014, 04:11 PM
They are 4 years removed from back 2 back rings. And 2 years removed from having the best on paper roster on the nba. Can't win a ring every year, they will be fine within 3 seasons.

Really wish you would not backtrack and say the same for when Miami lost.

WadeKobe
07-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Lol. They did not have the best team on Paper two years ago. Not even close.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-10-2014, 04:20 PM

People said the same thing in the 90's . We'll be back like history says. I'm not the slightest bit worried.

uncleben989
07-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Yup. Im fine with it. I hope they keep draft picks for now on and sign the right FA. I want them to go young and have a team ready for the next star to jump into. Randle could be a start and I wouldn't get Melo, I would sign Stephenson for 4 years at $12 million a year.

may i get the details of your drug dealer please, you won at the game of life if your formulating these kind of ideas thinking their within the confines of reality

ryang
07-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Lol, struggle? Try being a Knicks fan.

Lmao. Or a dolphin fan

jerellh528
07-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Really wish you would not backtrack and say the same for when Miami lost.

The eff are you talking about?

jerellh528
07-10-2014, 04:24 PM

I dunno
Nash
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Howard
A lot of people considered them favorites. If not the best paper roster, they were close. Injuries and chemistry issues ruined them.

slashsnake
07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Well they are the lakers, they will rebuild and probably be fine. They did after the Wilt, Baylor, West years. Again after the Magic/Kareem years. Did again after Shaq left. They'll get another all time great to build around through the draft or free agency and be up there again. The joys of the best locale and a team with a lot of money and history.

Gibby23
07-10-2014, 04:38 PM
may i get the details of your drug dealer please, you won at the game of life if your formulating these kind of ideas thinking their within the confines of reality

Stephenson isn't getting more than about $12 million a year. What do you think he gets?

lol, please
07-10-2014, 05:12 PM

It was bound to happen, it happens to every team, and the fact that I predicted such and peeps like lakers + giants said it wasn't so, makes it that much more gratifying, it's justice, it's balance, what will earn Lakers fans respect long lost for being a classless and uninformed fanbase for so many years is to go down with the ship, endure rebuilding, and become stronger fans in character because of it. That's class. Don't go bandwagoning on the Clippers or any other team, stick through it with your team, if fans flee now that it's not championship after championship, the laker fanbase will be ridiculed and shunned 10x worse than when they were successful.

Pablonovi
07-10-2014, 05:24 PM
It was bound to happen, it happens to every team, and the fact that I predicted such and peeps like lakers + giants said it wasn't so, makes it that much more gratifying, it's justice, it's balance, what will earn Lakers fans respect long lost for being a classless and uninformed fanbase for so many years is to go down with the ship, endure rebuilding, and become stronger fans in character because of it. That's class. Don't go bandwagoning on the Clippers or any other team, stick through it with your team, if fans flee now that it's not championship after championship, the laker fanbase will be ridiculed and shunned 10x worse than when they were successful.

Hey lol, please,
This is too sober(ing) for me! hehe
It's not that I'm gonna switch teams after 55 some years; just tell me how/when our next serious Chip-Shot is?

P.S. What other people think about our fanbase is both unfathomable and uninteresting to me - there's so many of us, too few of them, what those relative few think about what a few of us do ... that's my point.

lakerfan85
07-10-2014, 05:24 PM

You say that as if all Laker fans are like that.. Maybe you should be more informed before you start running you mouth...

numba1CHANGsta
07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
How is this the end of an empire? After the 91' Finals the Lakers didn't go back to the Finals til 00' that's a 9 year gap, which before that they had gone to the Finals 9 times and won 5 championships from 80'-91'. Then from 00'-10' they made the Finals 7 times and won the championship 5 times. Relax this team is used to being really good for a short time and then bad for a short time, which is basically a 50/50 chance of them always making the Finals. If anything the "end of an empire" that we should be talking about right now is the Miami Heat who are done :D

RaiderLakersA's
07-10-2014, 05:37 PM

The Lakers have won so many titles in my lifetime that I'll give them a pass this year and next. You can't win them all. Every organization goes through its down period. Even our closest rival, the Celtics went something like 20 years in between titles. It happens.

numba1CHANGsta
07-10-2014, 05:48 PM
The Lakers have won so many titles in my lifetime that I'll give them a pass this year and next. You can't win them all. Every organization goes through its down period. Even our closest rival, the Celtics went something like 20 years in between titles. It happens.

people tend to forget it's the Lakers, this team will always find ways to win:

80's-Lakers
90's-MJ era
00's-Lakers
Present-LBJ era

The Lakers seem to be dominate every other decade so I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't a legit championship team til around 2020, but I doubt it, they will be good again right around 2016 :)

Bruno
07-10-2014, 05:56 PM
the Lakers will be back.

will they ever win 1/3rd of all championships available over a 30 year period again? probably not, but the Lakers will be champions again. more importantly, nobody will ever pass the Lakers in total titles. LAL will eventually squeeze past Boston.

MickeyMgl
07-10-2014, 06:02 PM

It's quite simple. No matter how great or how miserable a franchise may be when you grow up watching a sport for the first time, and no matter for how long they remain that way... EVERYTHING can change when you change ownership. I can't count on two hands the number of teams in the major sports who have experienced profound transformations of their fate when there was a change at the top. There's too many.

Jim "Boogermagic" Buss has promised to step down if he doesn't turn the team into a contender within three years. While I would love to see them contend right away, I have a greater hope of that time passing quickly.

MickeyMgl
07-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Whoever thought that was clearly very, very wrong.

jerellh528
07-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Whoever thought that was clearly very, very wrong.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ioRec4LUt5Y/TxmKkIJcwbI/AAAAAAAAQ_0/I7Tq-U8I3Ik/s1600/tumblr_lxq3lqhLcu1r0skbn.png

jayjay33
07-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Time to go into tank mode. Trade Kobe and gasol to the Knicks for amare & bargnani + shump and a 1st rd pick.

CityofTreez
07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Kobe's the player, the coach, and the C-in-C!

PurpleLynch
07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
End of an empire? Lakers dominated in the '50,in the '70 were one of the best team,in '80 they dominated,in the '90 they sucked,in 2000 they dominated and 2010 is just started(and this decade imo will look like the '70,lot of strong teams but not really a dominant franchise).

Yes,we are in a bit of a struggle,but it happens sometimes. I think it's more hard to be a Celtics/Knicks fan if we look to old franchises.Celtics "golden age" was in the '60 and the "silver age" in the '80,then they just won in 2008. NY had just an amazing team in the '70 and a really good one in the '90,but they suck in recent history.

Lakers + Giants
07-10-2014, 06:55 PM

LMAO.

You were a laker fan a few years ago and jumped ship. Now, you're a warriors fan. ..

What's next? You gonna become a raider fan and dodger fan?

lol, please
07-10-2014, 06:57 PM
LMAO.

You were a laker fan a few years ago and jumped ship. Now, you're a warriors fan. ..

What's next? You gonna become a raider fan and dodger fan?

There he is. :dance: :cheers:

Lakers + Giants
07-10-2014, 07:06 PM
I wasn't gonna reply, but you know how to push my buttons lmao.

:)

ink
07-10-2014, 07:10 PM

I dunno
Nash
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Howard
A lot of people considered them favorites. If not the best paper roster, they were close. Injuries and chemistry issues ruined them.

Agreed.

Pablonovi
07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I dunno
Nash
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Howard

Hey jerellh528,
That's how I remember it - "team for the ages" type thing. I don't even think the chemistry thing got a chance to be tested because the injuries just never allowed it.

nysportsfan23
07-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Kobe's ridiculous lifetime achievement contract + Nash's contract + Kobe's attitude my way/my team when he's way past prime + Death of legendary owner= current state of lakers. They'll be back, relax, this isn't the Knicks under Isaiah Thomas.

QueensG_718
07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
You can blame Kobe's ego for their woes in past years. Hes an alpha male and even in the decline of his career he wants to be the #1 guy. It seems like he doesn't get along with anyone.

Laker Legend42
07-10-2014, 09:40 PM
There are a lot of teams and fans of those teams that would love to have the lakers problems. You can't be mad if your team goes all in and it doesn't work out. I don't think you can compete for championships every year and still build for the future. Things worked for the lakers for a long time they just simply crapped out finally. If you're always building for the future you become the bucks or the cavaliers. Now you have to start over. The league did the lakers no favors putting a stop to the cp3 trade but that's past history. With all the issues the lakers have they still made more money than any other team so all the small market bottom dwelling teams should be sending fruit baskets and thank you cards to the lakers because they just paid your salaries.

NBA_Starter
07-10-2014, 09:59 PM
They should have given Melo the player coach option.

blue bleeder09
07-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Mighty have fallen

Lol, struggle? Try being a Knicks fan.he know struggle he's a raider fan lol

P&GRealist
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
The Lakers will be back soon...

The franchise and fan base that really needs to worry, if a certain someone leaves them, is the Miami Heat. What is there to attract superstars? The beach?

Great! But Wade was the main recruiter in 2010 when he was an actual watchable and top tier player. I guess Riley can spread out his Laker and Heat rings out on the table again, but I mean, how far does that sell go?

So I think the Lakers will be fine in the long run and will be back. They are in a better position than most franchises and their fanbases.

LA_Raiders
07-10-2014, 11:27 PM
We will be airight. There will be more opportunities soon: love, Aldridge, westbrick, KD, rondo, etc...

jaayytheillest
07-10-2014, 11:31 PM
I honestly think that free agents are scared to be the heir apparent to kobe worried they wont be able to get out of his shadow i mean look what happend to dwight

lpdunks8
07-11-2014, 02:24 AM
If the Lakers sign FAs exclusively to 2 year contracts this summer; only the rookies Randle and Clarkson will be on the roster when the summer of '16 hits. If no big free agents sign on then; you can write the eulogy.

SanPitte
07-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Star players think twice about signing because of Kobe Bryant and his ego

raiderposting
07-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Iono how the one time lakers tank. And they failed.

Lakers will be back though, I just wished Embid fell but knew that was false hope.

Tank for OKAFOR!

Hope the cavs keep wiggins.

Sign love next year.

Durant 2016.

Durant
Love
Okafor

Best front court in the league. Back to dominance. One more year of ****, followed by a year of mediocrity. Then add durant and we out to the finals.

raiderposting
07-11-2014, 05:07 AM
he know struggle he's a raider fan lol

Yes believe me raider fans know the struggle. Still the most active team forum though going on 11 years of ****. We deserve a return to glory. Give us 2 more seasons.

Pablonovi
07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Yes believe me raider fans know the struggle. Still the most active team forum though going on 11 years of ****. We deserve a return to glory. Give us 2 more seasons.

Hey raiderposting,
Most active team forum: within the NFL; or overall?
I ask cause I'm under the distinct impression that the Lakers Forum thoroughly dominates PSD. I could be wrong. (But when I look at the list of all the forums, that's what I ALWAYS seem to see).

MickeyMgl
07-11-2014, 07:15 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ioRec4LUt5Y/TxmKkIJcwbI/AAAAAAAAQ_0/I7Tq-U8I3Ik/s1600/tumblr_lxq3lqhLcu1r0skbn.png

Well... if it's reason for sarcasm, why are you still calling it the best on paper roster in the NBA? Or was that sarcasm, too? It was obvious even back then that it wasn't.

Pablonovi
07-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Well... if it's reason for sarcasm, why are you still calling it the best on paper roster in the NBA? Or was that sarcasm, too? It was obvious even back then that it wasn't.

Hey MickeyMgl,
I was thinking I was understanding you until your last sentence; when I'm pretty sure you lost me.
Mind explaining / expanding for clarity's sake? Thanx