PDA

View Full Version : Who is Otto Porter and Why was he drafted 3rd overall last year??!?!?!

rhymeratic
07-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Seriously, I've never seen a player so forgotten in 1 year. All this talk about Wizards resigning Ariza to a huge contract and I'm saying to myself... didn't they draft SF in the lottery. Is he that quick of a BUST ala Ndubi Ebi / Kedrick Brown etc...

What a terrible pick for no. 3 overall.

ManRam
07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Even rookies who can't get onto the court shouldn't be labeled busts after 1 year. That's really all I got. It was a weak draft, too.

sixer04fan
07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
I still like him to an extent. But I think his ceiling has been downgraded to good role player, and it's clear that he's a few years away.

The Wiz are in a position to be a contender in the east (emphasis on "in the east") for the next few years now, especially with the continued improvement of Wall and Beal. They got a taste of good success last year, so it makes sense for them to continue to push that by keeping the proven vets like Gortat/Ariza around that can help them win now.

Porter can be a valuable contributor for them at some point, just not next season.

D-Leethal
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
"Build through the draft" should really turn into "get lucky as ****" because most draft picks turn into Otto Porter, not Kevin Durant.

WITZ
07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
This man Owes Anthony Bennett because he was just as bad but because he wasn't the #1 pick people didn't give a **** about how bad he played.

FlashBolt
07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
That draft was historically bad to begin with. Asides from a few good players, it was just bad. Crazy how one year and can be so good (this year) and one can suck so bad (last year). Nerlins Noel, Oladipo, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Kelly Olynyk are the only players I think that have serious potential.

greg_ory_2005
07-10-2014, 12:46 PM
This guy reminds me of Wesley Johnson for some reason.

jimm120
07-10-2014, 12:49 PM
That draft was historically bad to begin with. Asides from a few good players, it was just bad. Crazy how one year and can be so good (this year) and one can suck so bad (last year). Nerlins Noel, Oladipo, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Kelly Olynyk are the only players I think that have serious potential.

Noel we don't know, but he was supposed to be the #1 pick but fell because of injury.

but yeah...

Noel
Oladipo
Tim Hardaway JR
Plumlee

Bunch of possibly role players with Noel/Oladipo with a possibility of being #2's or #3 on a team.

superwill
07-10-2014, 12:50 PM
He didn't play most of the season wasn't he hurt

rhymeratic
07-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Seriously if he showed up to a night club anywhere in North America trying to get into VIP, the bouncers would say "WHO ARE YOU!?!?!"

Harsh but is he any better than Austin Daye...

In fact, I'd go as far to say Jared Jefferies has more talent in his left pinky than Otto Porter has shown. I'm merely picking these players based on body build.

Best case scenario (Rashard Lewis/Tayshaun Prince)
Worst case scenario (Otto Porter) lmao

rhymeratic
07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
This man Owes Anthony Bennett because he was just as bad but because he wasn't the #1 pick people didn't give a **** about how bad he played.

+1

muelly
07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Noel we don't know, but he was supposed to be the #1 pick but fell because of injury.

but yeah...

Noel
Oladipo
Tim Hardaway JR
Plumlee

Bunch of possibly role players with Noel/Oladipo with a possibility of being #2's or #3 on a team.

No mention of the Greek Freak Giannis Antetokounmpo? Kid may have highest upside of all in last years draft and has even grown to 6 ft 11.

Have to add ROY MCW in that mix as well.

king4day
07-10-2014, 01:04 PM

While it may take a couple more years, don't be surprised if you hear more about Alex Len and Archie Goodwin. Both guys, in the limited minutes they received, showed some real talent. Barring injury, I believe at least one of these guys will be talked about more by seasons end.

superwill
07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm not so quick to throw away a player based on a rookie season look at Trevor,Tmac,and many others I know were in the right now generation nobody wants to wait any more but give him time

Corey
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes, let's call a player a bust after one year.

I love that logic.

No. I dont.

Lo Porto
07-10-2014, 01:16 PM
No mention of the Greek Freak Giannis Antetokounmpo? Kid may have highest upside of all in last years draft and has even grown to 6 ft 11.

Have to add ROY MCW in that mix as well.

Trey Burke needs to be added as well.

PurpleLynch
07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Trey Burke could also be a good pg in this league.I agree that draft was weak,but at least 8-10 players showed us that they can be good role players.MCW,Oladipo,Len,Plumlee,Giannis,Hardaway,N oel(he's still a "mistery"),Burke,Zeller wasn't that bad with the Bobcats,Caldwell-Pope showed good potential in the summer league...Well,Porter didn't play last season,just few games where he was lost.I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and let him play more minutes,but you can call him a bust after just one year.

Blitzace137
07-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Plumlee as well.

sixer04fan
07-10-2014, 02:07 PM

No MCW?

Blink
07-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Last years draft was loaded with guys who could be great role players.

This years draft was loaded with Star potential.

MCW, Noel, Oladipo, Burke, Hardaway, Greak freak, KCP and others have potential to be good/great role players.

Give it time.

Fan12345
07-10-2014, 02:15 PM
You also have to add KCP to the list. He is gonna be a stud this year

Raps18-19 Champ
07-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Otto Porter is an NBA player who was drafted 3rd overall last year.

joeyc77
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
"Build through the draft" should really turn into "get lucky as ****" because most draft picks turn into Otto Porter, not Kevin Durant.

Every team that has won a championship in the past 20 or more years had a superstar they acquired via the draft, except for the Pistons but even they had Rip. And most often the player is drafted in the top 5 or 10.

mavwar53
07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't get this thread, porter was injured to start the year and with Ariza and Webster and the playoffs in sight last year he hardly got into the flow once he got back from injury.

I've never been a fan of his but to say he was terrible is just a lack of knowledge, he didn't play well but how many guys do in 8-9 minutes a game.

kingkenny01
07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
didnt jim boehiem call him the best player from the big east ever over carmelo anthony, allen iverson, and pat ewing. He said he should be number 1 overall to i think

Bring The Heat
07-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Have we ever considered that maybe the NBA draft involves a lot of luck? How many times have we seen a player put up great numbers in college and display great potential.. The physical traits and work ethic are there with all signs pointing toward a solid NBA career, but it just doesn't pan out... You can do your homework and it increases your chances of making a great selection but nothing is guaranteed and I think it involves just being lucky sometimes.

0nekhmer
07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say he's a bust. I see him being a solid 2 way player. He's got the tools you need in championship teams. Shooter who can defend.

bucketss
07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
hes two years away from being two years away.

Six-8-TheWizard
07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
While it may take a couple more years, don't be surprised if you hear more about Alex Len and Archie Goodwin. Both guys, in the limited minutes they received, showed some real talent. Barring injury, I believe at least one of these guys will be talked about more by seasons end.

Hope the Suns can find more time for him this season. I'd like to see him and Plumlee swap roles from last year

j-bay
07-12-2014, 08:10 PM
He heard you, and dropped 25 today. There is still hope with this kid. Especially when the Wizards have lost Ariza and Webster.

Giannis94
07-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Two Words: Greek Freak

j-bay
07-12-2014, 08:37 PM
He didn't play most of the season wasn't he hurt

No the problem was Wittman picked Ariza and Webster and Porter became #3 on the chart.

SILVER SEAVER
07-12-2014, 10:37 PM
The bigger question is who the **** is Anthony Bennett and why was he drafted #1 that year?

theheatles
07-12-2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/otto-porter-shines-wizards-summer-league-debut

hmmm, might be the reason washington didn't try harder to retain ariza

NBA_Starter
07-12-2014, 10:57 PM
He is an enigma.

Kashmir13579
07-12-2014, 11:25 PM

No MCW? meh..

JasonJohnHorn
07-13-2014, 12:59 AM
He was injured for the first half of the season. With no training camp, and no practice, and the team in the middle of a playoff big and Ariza playing very well, it simply didn't make sense to 'develop' a rookie at that point.

He may be awful and be out of the league in two years, but I'd wait and see what he does this year before making any judgments.

But the draft is a crap shoot:

Thomas Robinson: #5
Derrick Williams #2
Evan Turner #2
Wesley Johnson #4
Hasheem Thabeet #2
Michael Beasley #2
Andrea Bargnani #1
Adam Morrison #3
Tyrus Thomas #4
Marvins Williams #2
Darko Milicic #2

This happens pretty much ever year. 6 of the guys picked at #2 in the last 12 seasons turned into utter busts.

I excluded Jay Williams and Greg Oden because those guys were impacted due to injury, but looking at their games, neither would have likely lived up to their draft position.

That draft is hard. Guy who look like sure things turn into busts, and guys that were gambles turn into franchise players. And it's not like there are pundits each year who are spot on with their top five picks.

Otto was really high on most draft boards.

JustinTime
07-13-2014, 01:01 AM

Bennett has potential trust me you'll find out.

JustinTime
07-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Two Words: Greek Freak

How in the world did he drop to 15 in such a weak draft? Unbelievable he's going to be a beast.

Duncan = Donkey
07-13-2014, 02:53 AM
He really is going under the radar, i have heard nothing about the guy - like at all

WITZ
07-13-2014, 03:00 AM
hes two years away from being two years away.

The original Bruno :speechless:

Bruno
07-13-2014, 03:18 AM
looks like he read the thread. he crushed it today.

Ebbs
07-13-2014, 03:39 AM
Jan Vesely lol?

rhymeratic
07-13-2014, 05:17 AM
looks like he read the thread. he crushed it today.

I hope he did. Still doesn't change the fact that its Summet League. Anthony Randolph once dominated summer league and look at him now. Even he had more of an impact than Otto Porter in year 1. No excuses. This guy was supposed to be one of the surest players in the draft.

What's more embarrassing is his team signed no ankles Paul Pierce. I promise you he didn't sign with the Wizards to be the backup...

Otto Porter = Bust. He better drop 40 in next summer league game for me to eat these words.

j-bay
07-13-2014, 10:51 AM
He was injured for the first half of the season. With no training camp, and no practice, and the team in the middle of a playoff big and Ariza playing very well, it simply didn't make sense to 'develop' a rookie at that point.

He may be awful and be out of the league in two years, but I'd wait and see what he does this year before making any judgments.

But the draft is a crap shoot:

Thomas Robinson: #5
Derrick Williams #2
Evan Turner #2
Wesley Johnson #4
Hasheem Thabeet #2
Michael Beasley #2
Andrea Bargnani #1
Adam Morrison #3
Tyrus Thomas #4
Marvins Williams #2
Darko Milicic #2

This happens pretty much ever year. 6 of the guys picked at #2 in the last 12 seasons turned into utter busts.

I excluded Jay Williams and Greg Oden because those guys were impacted due to injury, but looking at their games, neither would have likely lived up to their draft position.

That draft is hard. Guy who look like sure things turn into busts, and guys that were gambles turn into franchise players. And it's not like there are pundits each year who are spot on with their top five picks.

Otto was really high on most draft boards.

Like I said it was Ariza and Webster. Wittman seemed to be more focused on using Ariza and Webster because I think it had to do with them being more efficient. Now with Ariza gone and Webster out for 5 months Porter is going to get some playing time. Hopefully he learns some things from the truth.

Corey
07-13-2014, 10:55 AM
I hope he did. Still doesn't change the fact that its Summet League. Anthony Randolph once dominated summer league and look at him now. Even he had more of an impact than Otto Porter in year 1. No excuses. This guy was supposed to be one of the surest players in the draft.

What's more embarrassing is his team signed no ankles Paul Pierce. I promise you he didn't sign with the Wizards to be the backup...

Otto Porter = Bust. He better drop 40 in next summer league game for me to eat these words.
Cant take you seriously if you're really labeling a player a bust after one year and limited opportunities.

xxplayerxx23
07-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Dumb thread he was injured and didn't get any burn because of how well Ariza and Webster played, kid has a lot of talent, one year doesn't mean he's a bust