PDA

View Full Version : Is Daryl Morey Dropping the ball?

JasonJohnHorn
07-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Many anticipated a great off season for the Rockets, but as of now, it seems like Morey has made some bad moves.

First: He didn't pick up the team option on Parsons. This would have paid him around 900 000 as opposed to the 15 million he's going to be getting. Had Morey picked up the option, they would have had a trade piece at the very least, or a much more affordable player at the worst. Now it looks like the Rockets will lose Parsons for nothing or lose out on the option of signing a big name free agent. This also gave up a potential trade piece for a trade bringing in a player like Rondo or Love.

WHY WOULD YOU NOT PICK UP THE OPTION ON PARSONS!!! What is the logic here? Pay a million bucks for a guy like that? then you have his Bird rights and can go over the cap to sign him next year.

Second: He traded Asik for a first round pick. If he were smart he would have set up a deal in principle, and then waited to see what free agent (if any) were coming, at which point he could have worked out a sign-and-trade that sent out contracts to bring in contracts. Now he'll have to sign a contract under the salary cap.

Third: Overt ovatures to Melo instead of LeBron. I know teams want to keep their options open or improve their odds on their best options, but by putting up a billboard of Melo, the Rockets have suggests other free agent options are back-up plans. And nobody wants to be a back up plan.

Morey seems to have done the right think in lining up a Lin trade and not yet pulling the trigger, but it seems that the Asik trade and failing to pick up the option on Parsons has really hurt the teams' chances of adding a big-name free agent while keeping the promising young Parsons.

Lin and Asik were making about 16 million total and Parsons 900 000 putting Parsons up to 15 adds 14 mill to that.

Had the Rockets picked up the option on Parsons, they'd only be committed to 900 000 and could send out 16 on a trade and take back whatever free agent they were going to get. They could send Lin and Asik to the teams they want, give a first rounder to the team they were signing the free agent from, and gotten back whatever picks they could manage dumping Asik and Lin. Or he could have used the Asik/Lin contracts to make a trade for a played like Love or Rondo.

Instead, it looks like they have to now choose between Parsons and Bosh (or whatever other free agent they are looking at).

I like what Morey has done so far, but this offseason he seems to have been a little short sighted.

Thoughts?

SPURSFAN1
07-10-2014, 09:22 AM
hell yeah he is.

TrueFan420
07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Not offically yet but if they can't pull a big free agent in the next 72 hours and parsons new deal cost them upgrades combined with the loss of asik and Lin then yea he dropped it hard

xnick5757
07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
parsons was going to get 15+ mil next offseason, if not this one. This way, Houston was guaranteed of keeping him.

yeah they would have had his bird rights next season but what if he wanted to play somewhere else?

ManRam
07-10-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't think so. And I don't think the Parsons decision necessarily was wrong, even in hindsight. What they gained from declining his option was restricted free agency...and the right to first refusal. If they waited a year he'd be an unrestricted free agent and he could sign for a more ridiculous deal and Houston would have that right of first refusal. It was a risk either way. The risk now is a huge salary a year earlier. The risk if they waited a year was having no control over him.

I don't mind that he's going all in, and even if he fails, whatever. Even if they don't match Parsons they can have the outright cap space next year without having to pull off these trades. In the end, he still has a great core there and time to build it into a true contender.

Vinylman
07-10-2014, 09:49 AM
this thread is roughly 72 hours early since No one know what bosh is doing yet...

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Many anticipated a great off season for the Rockets, but as of now, it seems like Morey has made some bad moves.
:facepalm: I just addressed all of this in the other Parsons thread, but I guess I'll do it again.

First: He didn't pick up the team option on Parsons. This would have paid him around 9 million, as opposed to the 15 million he's going to be getting. Had Morey picked up the option, they would have had a trade piece at the very least, or a much more affordable player at the worst. Now it looks like the Rockets will lose Parsons for nothing or lose out on the option of signing a big name free agent. This also gave up a potential trade piece for a trade bringing in a player like Rondo or Love.
:laugh: This isn't even remotely true. The team option was less than $1 million, not $9 million. Where are you getting those numbers from? And if they pick up the team option, it's only for one more year. By letting him go to RFA, he guarantees the right to match any offer sheet and keep Parsons in a Rockets uniform long-term. As for "giving up a potential trade piece" you're completely wrong on that regard too, but nobody is going to trade for Parsons unless they can guarantee that he'll sign their long-term.

Second: He traded Asik for a first round pick. If he were smart he would have set up a deal in principle, and then waited to see what free agent (if any) were coming, at which point he could have worked out a sign-and-trade that sent out contracts to bring in contracts. Now he'll have to sign a contract under the salary cap.
Again, you're completely off on this one. You're assuming that teams would take Asik and Lin in a sign and trade for a superstar player. NOBODY was going to do a sign and trade for that last year of Lin's bad contract, and nobody would want to do a sign and trade in which they have to pay $30 million for those two guys, plus $16.6 million to go over the salary cap. Also, in order to pull off a sign and trade, a player has to agree to go to Houston first. What star player in the entirety of the NBA would want to go to Houston that a Lin/Asik sign and trade would have made sense for? Do you honestly think Pat Riley would consider trading Bosh for one year and $30 million of Lin and Asik? Because you're wrong.

Getting a first round pick that solid (a likely lottery pick as it's New Orleans pick next season and guaranteed to be 4th-19th) for one season of Asik was a great deal by Morey. And now that pick is likely what is going to be dealt with Lin to get rid of Lin's additional contract.

Third: Overt ovatures to Melo instead of LeBron. I know teams want to keep their options open or improve their odds on their best options, but by putting up a billboard of Melo, the Rockets have suggests other free agent options are back-up plans. And nobody wants to be a back up plan.
Morey and the Rockets reached out to Rich Paul just like the other teams did. Clearly they didn't get the answer they were looking for. In free agency, you have to go after players that might actually want to play for your team. If Lebron didn't want to come to Houston, no amount of posturing was going to fix that.

Morey seems to have done the right think in lining up a Lin trade and not yet pulling the trigger, but it seems that the Asik trade and failing to pick up the option on Parsons has really hurt the teams' chances of adding a big-name free agent while keeping the promising young Parsons.
Wut? Getting rid of Asik and Lin is the ONLY way Morey was going to add another star to the roster. Also, letting Parsons go to RFA is the only way Morey was guaranteed to add a star player this year AND keep Parsons long-term in the process. Otherwise, Parsons could have walked a year from now. Also, the Rockets would have had even less cap space to work with next offseason.

Had the Rockets picked up the option on Parsons, they'd only be committed to 9 million and could send out 16 on a trade and take back whatever free agent they were going to get. They could send Lin and Asik to the teams they want, give a first rounder to the team they were signing the free agent from, and gotten back whatever picks they could manage dumping Asik and Lin. Or he could have used the Asik/Lin contracts to make a trade for a played like Love or Rondo.
This isn't NBA 2k trading where you can convince computer teams to take any offer. Minnesota isn't taking one year of Lin and Asik to trade Love. Why in the hell would they do that when they could just keep Love for the remaining year and still be a better basketball team? And Rondo is a horrible fit in Houston that I'm just not even going to address. I wouldn't want to waste the money on Rondo, plus Danny Ainge probably wouldn't take that deal either.

If one year and $30 million of Lin and Asik is so tantalizing in a sign and trade, I would love to see you propose a sign and trade deal that makes sense for both teams that isn't totally laughable to an opposing NBA GM.

Instead, it looks like they have to now choose between Parsons and Bosh (or whatever other free agent they are looking at).
Again... not true. Morey can't sign Bosh to a max deal, but he can still get Bosh at roughly around $17-18 million, or probably more money than any other contending team will offer him on the open market. Also, Parsons signing an offer sheet doesn't impact Morey's ability to add Bosh. It only sets a time frame in which Morey can do it: 72 hours. And if Lebron ends up going back to Miami or the clock is running out of time, Morey can still add other signficant pieces to build around and still keep Chandler Parsons in the process.

I like what Morey has done so far, but this offseason he seems to have been a little short sighted.
No sir. He hasn't been short-sighted at all. If anything, it sounds like you're just extremely confused about his motivations, about the Rockets' salary situation and about how this whole offseason thing works. But Morey always knew that letting Parsons go to RFA could ultimately result in him probably signing to an overpaid offer sheet. And Morey still holds all the cards. He can add Bosh or other pieces with the remainder of his cap room and still match the Mavs offer sheet in the next three days, which is exactly what he's working on right now.

In three days, this thread is going to look very silly. But it kind of does already...

hugepatsfan
07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
If Howard and Harden were 30+ then yeah, he'd be dropping the ball. But he has plenty of time. Even if this blows up in his face he'll have cap space next year to go after people.

KnicksorBust
07-10-2014, 11:30 AM
:facepalm: I just addressed all of this in the other Parsons thread, but I guess I'll do it again.

:laugh: This isn't even remotely true. The team option was less than $1 million, not $9 million. Where are you getting those numbers from? And if they pick up the team option, it's only for one more year. By letting him go to RFA, he guarantees the right to match any offer sheet and keep Parsons in a Rockets uniform long-term. As for "giving up a potential trade piece" you're completely wrong on that regard too, but nobody is going to trade for Parsons unless they can guarantee that he'll sign their long-term.

Again, you're completely off on this one. You're assuming that teams would take Asik and Lin in a sign and trade for a superstar player. NOBODY was going to do a sign and trade for that last year of Lin's bad contract, and nobody would want to do a sign and trade in which they have to pay $30 million for those two guys, plus $16.6 million to go over the salary cap. Also, in order to pull off a sign and trade, a player has to agree to go to Houston first. What star player in the entirety of the NBA would want to go to Houston that a Lin/Asik sign and trade would have made sense for? Do you honestly think Pat Riley would consider trading Bosh for one year and $30 million of Lin and Asik? Because you're wrong.

Getting a first round pick that solid (a likely lottery pick as it's New Orleans pick next season and guaranteed to be 4th-19th) for one season of Asik was a great deal by Morey. And now that pick is likely what is going to be dealt with Lin to get rid of Lin's additional contract.

Morey and the Rockets reached out to Rich Paul just like the other teams did. Clearly they didn't get the answer they were looking for. In free agency, you have to go after players that might actually want to play for your team. If Lebron didn't want to come to Houston, no amount of posturing was going to fix that.

Wut? Getting rid of Asik and Lin is the ONLY way Morey was going to add another star to the roster. Also, letting Parsons go to RFA is the only way Morey was guaranteed to add a star player this year AND keep Parsons long-term in the process. Otherwise, Parsons could have walked a year from now. Also, the Rockets would have had even less cap space to work with next offseason.

This isn't NBA 2k trading where you can convince computer teams to take any offer. Minnesota isn't taking one year of Lin and Asik to trade Love. Why in the hell would they do that when they could just keep Love for the remaining year and still be a better basketball team? And Rondo is a horrible fit in Houston that I'm just not even going to address. I wouldn't want to waste the money on Rondo, plus Danny Ainge probably wouldn't take that deal either.

If one year and $30 million of Lin and Asik is so tantalizing in a sign and trade, I would love to see you propose a sign and trade deal that makes sense for both teams that isn't totally laughable to an opposing NBA GM.

Again... not true. Morey can't sign Bosh to a max deal, but he can still get Bosh at roughly around $17-18 million, or probably more money than any other contending team will offer him on the open market. Also, Parsons signing an offer sheet doesn't impact Morey's ability to add Bosh. It only sets a time frame in which Morey can do it: 72 hours. And if Lebron ends up going back to Miami or the clock is running out of time, Morey can still add other signficant pieces to build around and still keep Chandler Parsons in the process.

No sir. He hasn't been short-sighted at all. If anything, it sounds like you're just extremely confused about his motivations, about the Rockets' salary situation and about how this whole offseason thing works. But Morey always knew that letting Parsons go to RFA could ultimately result in him probably signing to an overpaid offer sheet. And Morey still holds all the cards. He can add Bosh or other pieces with the remainder of his cap room and still match the Mavs offer sheet in the next three days, which is exactly what he's working on right now.

In three days, this thread is going to look very silly. But it kind of does already...

I have to side with my Rockets friend over here. Theoretically the Rockets could be opening the season with a lineup of Beverly-Harden-Parsons-Bosh-Howard and be a favorite to win the title. I'm pretty sure if you can create that lineup than you should have a thread dedicated to your glory not your alleged mistakes.

jayjay33
07-10-2014, 12:30 PM
The problem is half the people are saying they can't keep CP if they sign Bosh. And the other half say they can.

Do they have bird rights on CP? Or did they miss that by letting him go to FA a year early? Because if they sign Bosh they have to go over the cap to match on parson. And they can't do that with
Out his bird rights or can they?

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 12:51 PM
The problem is half the people are saying they can't keep CP if they sign Bosh. And the other half say they can.

Do they have bird rights on CP? Or did they miss that by letting him go to FA a year early? Because if they sign Bosh they have to go over the cap to match on parson. And they can't do that with
Out his bird rights or can they?
They have his Bird rights. They can over the cap to sign him. And, from my understanding, as long as they can clear the cap space necessary to sign Bosh and then sign Bosh before the deadline to match Parsons' contract, they can still match Parsons' contract. A lot of things have to go right for this to work, but as long as Bosh really wants to come to Houston and Lebron makes a decision soon, I really do think Morey can pull this off.

astrosmaniac
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Parsons is a RFA and they have bird rights. Meaning that once the rockets get the offer sheet (according to reports Nelson said that will happen tonight so the clock hasn't started yet), they have a cap hold for the same amount as his QO (which they've had all offseason and is worth like 2.5 mil i believe). At that time the Mavs then get a cap hold for the same amount as the first year of the offer sheet (~15 mil or so). The rockets also have the Asik deal done and reportedly a deal with Philly agreed to on the condition of Bosh signing. So all that has to happen is Bosh deciding within 72 hours of the Rockets getting the offer sheet and then the rockets can get Bosh and keep Parsons

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Parsons is a RFA and they have bird rights. Meaning that once the rockets get the offer sheet (according to reports Nelson said that will happen tonight so the clock hasn't started yet), they have a cap hold for the same amount as his QO (which they've had all offseason and is worth like 2.5 mil i believe). At that time the Mavs then get a cap hold for the same amount as the first year of the offer sheet (~15 mil or so). The rockets also have the Asik deal done and reportedly a deal with Philly agreed to on the condition of Bosh signing. So all that has to happen is Bosh deciding within 72 hours of the Rockets getting the offer sheet and then the rockets can get Bosh and keep Parsons

x2. I also just saw the news that the offer sheet hasn't been delivered. Considering how slow this Lebron decision is going, that's good news for a change. Hopefully that gives Morey enough time to sign Bosh or other pieces with that additional cap space before re-signing Parsons.

P&GRealist
07-10-2014, 01:04 PM
All I know is that Morey needs to establish a culture and style of basketball with the superstars he does have. Going after the new flavor of the month every trade deadline or free agency without any conscience is not a smart way to do business. And it stops any form of continuity from developing with the guys u do have.

Htownballa1622
07-10-2014, 01:18 PM
This thread should be closed until 3 days from now.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
All I know is that Morey needs to establish a culture and style of basketball with the superstars he does have. Going after the new flavor of the month every trade deadline or free agency without any conscience is not a smart way to do business. And it stops any form of continuity from developing with the guys u do have.

I'll admit that has been the one somewhat frustrating thing of having Daryl Morey as my team's GM over the last seven years. But I like the fact that the guy doesn't get complacent with mediocrity. A lot of other GMs wouldn't have gotten ride of guys like Brooks, Battier, Scola, etc. over the years, because they were fan favorites. But Morey does what he does to ultimately build the best basketball team he can.

If he somehow pulls off this Bosh/Parsons thing, I would like to think those four guys would be in Houston a while and could help build a new culture and identify of basketball in Houston.

king4day
07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Let's wait until things play out before having this discussion. It's forcing Rocket fans to have to defend their team for no reason.

If in 3 days, Bosh and Parsons are gone, they trade Asik and Lin, and wind up with maybe just Ariza, we can have this convo again.