PDA

View Full Version : Raptors re-sign Grevis Vasquez

spreadeagle
07-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Masai keeping our pieces together I like it, him n Lowry great 1-2 punch at PG

Greivis Vasquez will sign a two-year, $13 million deal to stay with Toronto, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Woj

The Toronto Raptors, fresh off a franchise-high 48 wins, are reportedly bringing the band back together for the next few seasons.
With point guard Kyle Lowry and forward Patrick Patterson having already agreed to long-term deals, the Raptors have retained most of their noteworthy free agents this offseason.

Vasquez was acquired by the Raptors in a mid-season trade with Sacramento. In 61 regular season games as a Raptor last season, Vasquez averaged 9.5 points, 2.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game, good for a PER of 14.2.

In addition being able to play point guard, Vasquez can also slot in at shooting guard in two-point guard lineups, something he worked to great success alongside Lowry last season. Standing at 6-foot-6, Vasquez has the size to match opposing shooting guards. However, he does lack foot-speed, which renders him a liability on defense.
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/535338

The two-year deal will carry through until Vasquez is 29 years old.

ManningToTyree
07-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Solid player

spreadeagle
07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
keeps him away from some other teams too that could use a PG at the moment, amazing that Raps Got Patterson Vasquez Hayes and Salmons (which became Lou Williams and a first in a trade this month) for Rudy Gay...awesome

bucketss
07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
nice.

ink
07-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Raptors forum really. Major for Toronto but NBA forum worthy?

spreadeagle
07-09-2014, 11:07 PM

Hes better than Channing Fry n Ben Gordon who got threads

ink
07-09-2014, 11:12 PM

Hes better than Channing Fry n Ben Gordon who got threads

Those were borderline too but w/e.

GiantsSwaGG
07-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Rap forum

ilovesports
07-09-2014, 11:26 PM
This is actual news so id consider it forum worthy. He was a huge part of their division championship last year.

Another rumor/idea as to where Carmelo, LeBron , and bosh end up before anything is at least confirmed however....

spreadeagle
07-09-2014, 11:34 PM
This is actual news so id consider it forum worthy. He was a huge part of their division championship last year.

Another rumor/idea as to where Carmelo, LeBron , and bosh end up before anything is at least confirmed however....

And I know a few other teams were trying to land him, so I thought other teams fans may be interested, anyhow, good signing fair price seeing the contracts givin lately

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Raptors forum really. Major for Toronto but NBA forum worthy?lol

ink
07-09-2014, 11:57 PM

And I know a few other teams were trying to land him, so I thought other teams fans may be interested, anyhow, good signing fair price seeing the contracts givin lately

If the forum is interested ...

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 01:00 AM
Personally I don't mind the topic. Its one less Labron and Melo topic to pass by.

saints.raptors
07-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Personally I don't mind the topic. Its one less Labron and Melo topic to pass by.[/QUOTE]

X2

torocan
07-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Masai continuing to live up to his reputation as one of the best GM's in the NBA.

Raptors are going to be a handful for the foreseeable future.

TrueFan420
07-10-2014, 09:27 AM

Dude this is nba thread worthy. And I'm hella tired of is Lebron staying or going so deal with it or don't post in it.

ManRam
07-10-2014, 09:31 AM
This is one of the few Masai moves I'm not in love with. That's a lot for a back up. However, he's better than the average back up and it is just two years. But I'm lower on Vasquez than most, so maybe that's most. If he shooting last year wasn't a fluke it will be fine.

He was an RFA, right? Wonder what the market for him was.

Sly Guy
07-10-2014, 09:38 AM
we paid too much, but it's only a 2-year deal, so it hurts far less.

torocan
07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
This is one of the few Masai moves I'm not in love with. That's a lot for a back up. However, he's better than the average back up and it is just two years. But I'm lower on Vasquez than most, so maybe that's most. If he shooting last year wasn't a fluke it will be fine.

In this market where Parsons just got $14.7M? If you're the GM would You really want to find out? :eyebrow:

JLynn943
07-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Glad to see the pieces we traded to the Raptors working out for them

ManRam
07-10-2014, 10:12 AM
In this market where Parsons just got $14.7M? If you're the GM would You really want to find out? :eyebrow:

I am the person who is mocking everyone for saying that EVERY deal is an overpay so maybe I should just drink my own medicine. Because at a certain point these aren't overpays, rather, the market has just shifted. But still, Vasquez played 20 minutes a game last year. It is a bit more than you'd expect for a clear back up.

It also means they probably won't/can't use the full MLE as it would push them over the luxury cap threshold which they almost certainly won't do. But in the end, even if it is a bad deal, the pain will be short lived. It's just 2 years, and he'll be tradeable.

I didn't say it was bad, I just said it was a Masai deal that I didn't "love".

Kenny Powders
07-10-2014, 10:23 AM

When every damn thread in this forum is about "potential" Lebron this and that. Something concrete tis quite refreshing.

Edit: this just in. Lebrons morning **** was solid today. He must be signing with Cavs.

dtmagnet
07-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I am the person who is mocking everyone for saying that EVERY deal is an overpay so maybe I should just drink my own medicine. Because at a certain point these aren't overpays, rather, the market has just shifted. But still, Vasquez played 20 minutes a game last year. It is a bit more than you'd expect for a clear back up.

It also means they probably won't/can't use the full MLE as it would push them over the luxury cap threshold which they almost certainly won't do. But in the end, even if it is a bad deal, the pain will be short lived. It's just 2 years, and he'll be tradeable.

I didn't say it was bad, I just said it was a Masai deal that I didn't "love".

They could use a full MLE and not pay luxury tax, but I'm not sure they will use it after signing James Johnson again.

Bruno
07-10-2014, 05:15 PM
why wouldn't vasquez want to go start somewhere? i guess there was no market.

bucketss
07-10-2014, 05:18 PM

he plays both pg/sg, hes great alongisde lowry at the sg position. especially to finish games.

Tmath
07-10-2014, 05:38 PM

The guy loves Toronto.

PurpleLynch
07-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Vasquez is a good PG,versatile and with good playmaking abilities.Maybe a bit overpayed,but he plays well and he loves Toronto,so good move imo.

FriedTofuz
07-10-2014, 07:01 PM
use Vasquez as bait for Kevin Durant (they're good friends)
As well as Drake as bait ( help him launch his rapper career)
I see you Masai, ;)

NBA_Starter
07-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Good signing

R. Johnson#3
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Love the signing. It took him a little while to get it going but he eventually found his groove and was huge for us.

NBA_Starter
07-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I wish the Hornets could have gotten him.

torocan
07-10-2014, 09:23 PM

He loves Toronto. He really, really loves Toronto.

“I really want to be back,” he said. “I truly love this city. I love our fans, my family loves Canada (and) my kids love school…I’m really committed to the team, to the city (and) to this franchise.”...

“Toronto really changed my life,” he said. “It actually recuperated my career because I was very down. I was sad.

“So hopefully everything works out. I want to come back. I love Toronto. I love this city. I love this country. I want to be back.”...

“It’s not about being a starter (and) it’s not about me being the main guy,” said Vasquez. “It’s about winning and I think we all understand that.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-vasquez-toronto-changed-my-life/

Not shocking at all.