PDA

View Full Version : Chandler Parsons Agrees to Offer Sheet w/ Mavericks: 3 years 45 million+

Pages : [1] 2

Nikeman
07-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 5m
ESPN sources say Mavericks and Rockets RFA Chandler Parsons have reached agreement on three-year offer sheet worth in excess of $45 million

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 4m
Restricted free agent Parsons, I'm told, will sign deal early Thursday ... after which Houston will have three days to match Dallas' offer

InRoseWeTrust
07-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Said this in the Bulls forum so I'll repeat here: I like Parsons. I don't like him at 15+ million a year.

Nikeman
Parsons was the Cavs back-up plan, so they are screwed if LeBron stays. Or the Cavs are certain they have LeBron and didn't bother to contact Parsons.

Sandman
thats a direct suck it to Houston

they can't lose that guy for nothing and they're in the middle of a bunch of things

FlashBolt
07-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Bad news for Houston.

Nikeman
Michael Dugat @mdug now
Once offer sheet is signed (hopefully around 11pm cst tonight), Rockets can't SnT Parsons elsewhere and would have to let CP go to sign Bosh

Interesting. Rockets fans still want Bosh? At the expense of all their cap-space and Parsons leaving for nothing?

I remember all Rockets fans bragging they would get Bosh and keep Parsons.

0nekhmer
Smart, take Houston out of the sweepstakes for melo, bosh if they do decide to match. Finally a team putting some damn pressure, too much standing around waiting for royalty king ****ing James

lincecum=future
07-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Good for Parsons. Going to be interesting to see how things play out.

shep33
I don't blame him one bit. He's not worth 15 mill per year, but whatever, get paid bro!

mightybosstone
If somebody could please merge my thread with this thread, it would be much appreciated.

Personally, I'm not worried just yet. As long as Lebron makes his decision in the next day, the Rockets should be fine. They'll still have time to flip Lin if they need to and add any other free agents afterward before they match Parsons' contract offer.

yankeefan54
thats alot of money for him but i really like him and think he will end up being worth the money.

WITZ
07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Parsons was the Cavs back-up plan, so they are screwed if LeBron stays. Or the Cavs are certain they have LeBron and didn't bother to contact Parsons.

Meh last I checked Ariza was still out there. Now if he goes somewhere than yeah all the Starting caliber SF are gone.

FlashBolt
07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
If he was a better defender, this $15 million might sound better. I say let him go.

J4KOP99
07-09-2014, 07:05 PM
How the **** does chandler parsons make $15 mil a year? Unbelievable

Iron24th
07-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Haha I love it! Good move by parsons and the mavs, houston has a decision to make quickly.

Asik's better
07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
At 15 mil a year? Enjoy dallas parsons.

mightybosstone
07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
I was under the impression that Houston has 3 days to spend its cap space once Parsons signs the offer sheet and then the Rockets could still match the offer sheet. Is that not correct? Is there some major cap hold or something as a result of Parsons signing that offer sheet?

Sly Guy
07-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Said this in the Bulls forum so I'll repeat here: I like Parsons. I don't like him at 15+ million a year.

I was thinking the same about my raptors. I like him, love for him to play for my team, but not at that price. Yikes.

gatkins11
07-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I was under the impression that Houston has 3 days to spend its cap space once Parsons signs the offer sheet and then the Rockets could still match the offer sheet. Is that not correct? Is there some major cap hold or something as a result of Parsons signing that offer sheet?

I believe that's correct. I think the cap hold is his original QO but don't hold me to that.

blahblahyoutoo
07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
i don't know what's worse. the parsons, hayword or frye contract. GMs will never learn.

mightybosstone
07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
I believe that's correct. I think the cap hold is his original QO but don't hold me to that.

I believe it's correct, too. That tweet by Dugat freaked me out, but I'm like 99% sure he's wrong. Houston should still have 72 hours to add Bosh or any other free agent before matching Parsons' offer sheet. If Lebron makes his decision today or tomorrow, that should give Morey plenty of time to work his magic.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2014, 07:16 PM

If his cap hold is still the original QO offer (less than $3 mil) then as long as they sign Bosh before they match they can go over the cap for Parsons.

Asik's better
Also looks liken Morey knew this was coming because Houston has been in contact with Deng.

Sadds The Gr8
Way too much. Thought he'd max out at 12 a year

Mr.B

They have 3 days to match the offer to Parsons. If Bosh takes his time deciding and takes longer than 3 days Houston will have to decide to either take back their offer to Bosh and match Parsons offer or if they want to keep waiting on Bosh they will have to let Parsons walk.

FlashBolt
Yeah, some of these players are getting overpaid. The more to them but seriously.. in what world do you pay a 3rd maybe 4th option $15 million a year, $8 million a year for Channing Frye, and Hayword making what he makes is just laughable.. At most, Chandler should be a $12 million.

arlubas
07-09-2014, 07:17 PM
How on earth does Parsons get 15 mil a year? Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings to the table a whole lot but that price tag... Ridiculous. You'd think that with the new CBA GMs would be more cautious as to how much cash they give to non superstar type of players. Guess not.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
i don't know what's worse. the parsons, hayword or frye contract. GMs will never learn.

Dallas has the cap space, has a need for a starting SF and he's only 25. Plus it's only a 3 year deal. If it were a 5 year deal I would be worried but not for 3 years.

lakerfan85
07-09-2014, 07:20 PM
How on earth does Parsons get 15 mil a year? Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings to the table a whole lot but that price tag... Ridiculous. You'd think that with the new CBA GMs would be more cautious as to how much cash they give to non superstar type of players. Guess not.

I agree.. It's like they never learn.. In a few years there will probably be another lockout and we will have to hear about how players are making to much and teams are losing money again..

mike_noodles
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
****, $15m is overpaid. Him and Hayward are getting ridiculous contracts.

mightybosstone
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM

I agree it's too much money, but the Hornets kind of ****ed Houston on this. Hayward got a 4-year, max offer sheet and he's a worse player than Parsons. I'd imagine that once Parsons saw that, he wanted a similar offer and wouldn't take no for an answer. I can't say I blame him. If the market says you should be getting overpaid, then you need to get out there and get that contract while you can.

rhino17
07-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Also looks liken Morey knew this was coming because Houston has been in contact with Deng.

Deng has only been contacted in case they can't get bosh

Rockets can't sign Deng + bosh

Only parsons + bosh or parsons +deng

No doubt Morey matches

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Now I just hope that Bosh takes his time.

jimm120
07-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Hayward averaging 16 million.
Parsons averaging 15 million.

Yet people expected people like Wade, Melo, and Bosh to take around 10-13 million (Bosh and Wade) and 15 million (For melo).

VladTheImpaler
07-09-2014, 07:26 PM
http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/freeagentcapholds.jsp

According to this, Parsons' cap hold will be $15 million or so, which means they can't match if they also want to add Bosh. Well played by Cuban, in that sense.

Tanakid777
07-09-2014, 07:28 PM
2 years plus a player option for another year. Given the wild hapenings in the market and our need for a SF, I ain't mad. Ball's in your court, Houston.

Blitzace137
07-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Not surprised I said this would happen once Hayward got his max, Parsons is the better player.

RLundi
07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
If somebody could please merge my thread with this thread, it would be much appreciated.

Personally, I'm not worried just yet. As long as Lebron makes his decision in the next day, the Rockets should be fine. They'll still have time to flip Lin if they need to and add any other free agents afterward before they match Parsons' contract offer.

I don't like the contract but the market has already been decided. Will Houston have enough time to trade Lin and sign Bosh before they have to respond to Parsons? I don't think so. A lot has to happen.

1. LeBron has to make a decision. He's not operating under any time constraints. He's hijacked free agency, what makes anyone think he'll give a definitive decision in the next three days? Bosh will not budge until LeBron does, meaning Houston will need to make a decision quick. Otherwise they run the risk of losing Parsons AND missing out on Bosh and having to settle for a lesser talent, thereby taking a step back from last season.

2. Once Philly sees the pressure Houston is under to make the Lin deal, what's to say they don't press the Rockets for more? Parsons signing the offer sheet screwed Houston because now everyone knows their hand. If Hinkie is smart, he asks for the world in the Lin trade, knowing Morey's back is against the wall and he's racing the clock.

Morey played this well from the beginning, but it could all unravel before his eyes. I don't like where this is going for Houston.

king4day
07-09-2014, 07:36 PM
This isn't shocking at all. It's what I expected. Houston took a risk letting him become a RFA so they would have a chance to match this year instead of losing him for nothing next year.
Sure he's not worth that much but that's life in the NBA. You have to overspend on RFA's. He's going to get paid and say what you want, he's going to complement that Mavs team a whole hell of a lot.
I wish Charlotte made the offer to him instead of Hayward. They'd at least have a real shot at him.

I could also see Houston telling Parsons, 'don't sign it. We'll give you the same but please let us work on Bosh first.'
If he won't wait, he never had interest in being there anyway imo.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2014, 07:36 PM
http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/freeagentcapholds.jsp

According to this, Parsons' cap hold will be $15 million or so, which means they can't match if they also want to add Bosh. Well played by Cuban, in that sense.

Where does it say that on there? According to this they can still get Bosh and Parsons:

Eric Pincus: Rockets need to officially trade Asik and Lin - then get a FA (like Bosh) to sign - then match on Parsons - in 3 days of offer sheet Twitter @EricPincus - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.MELRiYX1.dpuf

mightybosstone
07-09-2014, 07:38 PM
I don't like the contract but the market has already been decided. Will Houston have enough time to trade Lin and sign Bosh before they have to respond to Parsons? I don't think so. A lot has to happen.

1. LeBron has to make a decision. He's not operating under any time constraints. He's hijacked free agency, what makes anyone think he'll give a definitive decision in the next three days? Bosh will not budge until LeBron does, meaning Houston will need to make a decision quick. Otherwise they run the risk of losing Parsons AND missing out on Bosh and having to settle for a lesser talent, thereby taking a step back from last season.
I would imagine Lebron will officially announce his decision by this evening or early tomorrow. If that happens and Bosh is serious about bolting for Houston if Lebron is gone, then I see no reason why Bosh couldn't sign a contract within 24 hours of Lebron's decision.

2. Once Philly sees the pressure Houston is under to make the Lin deal, what's to say they don't press the Rockets for more? Parsons signing the offer sheet screwed Houston because now everyone knows their hand. If Hinkie is smart, he asks for the world in the Lin trade, knowing Morey's back is against the wall and he's racing the clock.
You forget that Hinkie and Morey are buddies that have done deals in the past. And if Hinkie honestly goes that route, Morey will accept the guy's terms. Morey is not an idiot. He knows what this means, and he's not going to let a future first round pick or two get in the way of adding Chris Bosh to this roster. He knows whatever deal he makes to move Lin is a means to an end, and this is essentially the one window he's going to have for years to add another star.

Morey played this well from the beginning, but it could all unravel before his eyes. I don't like where this is going for Houston.
That makes one of us. The one hold up in this scenario will be Bosh. I have no doubt Lebron will make his decision in the next 72 hours. But will Bosh want to look at other offers in that time frame or will be he content with accepting Houston's original deal? Considering Houston has supposedly been in constant contact with him today on negotiations, I would think there is already framework in place for this to happen. It will be open to Bosh to pull the trigger.

Tanakid777
07-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Where does it say that on there? According to this they can still get Bosh and Parsons:

At the bottom

"Offer sheet: The player currently has an offer sheet pending; if the first year's salary of that offer sheet is greater than the QO, then the value of the first year of the offer sheet is used as the cap hold."

RLundi
07-09-2014, 07:49 PM
I would imagine Lebron will officially announce his decision by this evening or early tomorrow. If that happens and Bosh is serious about bolting for Houston if Lebron is gone, then I see no reason why Bosh couldn't sign a contract within 24 hours of Lebron's decision.

You forget that Hinkie and Morey are buddies that have done deals in the past. And if Hinkie honestly goes that route, Morey will accept the guy's terms. Morey is not an idiot. He knows what this means, and he's not going to let a future first round pick or two get in the way of adding Chris Bosh to this roster. He knows whatever deal he makes to move Lin is a means to an end, and this is essentially the one window he's going to have for years to add another star.

That makes one of us. The one hold up in this scenario will be Bosh. I have no doubt Lebron will make his decision in the next 72 hours. But will Bosh want to look at other offers in that time frame or will be he content with accepting Houston's original deal? Considering Houston has supposedly been in constant contact with him today on negotiations, I would think there is already framework in place for this to happen. It will be open to Bosh to pull the trigger.

Idk man, there's a lot of contingents. If this Love rumor is true, LeBron may be waiting for a deal to formulate before committing to the Cavs. What if it takes a day or 2? This is so speculation but what makes you so certain LeBron will announce his decision in the next day?

Like you mentioned, Bosh is under no obligation to meet Parson's deadline either. That's Morey's problem. A framework of a deal does not mean Bosh will sign immediately.

The dominos will soon fall once LeBron announces his decision. I'm not sold they decision is coming tonight or even tomorrow just yet. Parsons' deal could end up screwing Houston to an extent.

We're all staying tuned.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 07:50 PM
This isn't shocking at all. It's what I expected. Houston took a risk letting him become a RFA so they would have a chance to match this year instead of losing him for nothing next year.
Sure he's not worth that much but that's life in the NBA. You have to overspend on RFA's. He's going to get paid and say what you want, he's going to complement that Mavs team a whole hell of a lot.
I wish Charlotte made the offer to him instead of Hayward. They'd at least have a real shot at him.

I could also see Houston telling Parsons, 'don't sign it. We'll give you the same but please let us work on Bosh first.'
If he won't wait, he never had interest in being there anyway imo.

If Parsons was going to do that he would have never agreed to the Mavs deal. The fact is that he wants to play in Dallas. He's friends with Dirk and he'll get more playing time and more shots in Dallas for a team that has been more successful.

rhino17
07-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Morley definitely gave chandler the go ahead

Lol at the idea he would want to play in Dallas

arlubas
07-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I agree it's too much money, but the Hornets kind of ****ed Houston on this. Hayward got a 4-year, max offer sheet and he's a worse player than Parsons. I'd imagine that once Parsons saw that, he wanted a similar offer and wouldn't take no for an answer. I can't say I blame him. If the market says you should be getting overpaid, then you need to get out there and get that contract while you can.
Hey, no blame whatsoever on Parsons. Dude got offered the cash, of course he's gonna grab it. The GMs however? They seriously never learn. As for Hayward it goes without saying that his contract is way above what it should be. The only reason it doesn't bother me that much is because Charlotte wants to contend right now and he fills their biggest need which is outside shooting.

tr3ymill3r
07-09-2014, 08:00 PM
he gone.

rockets-fan
07-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Match it houston, forget bosh and his indecisive ways...we can't afford to miss out on bosh and let parsons go.

Just sign parsons and develop the talent we have. It's a young team.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2014, 08:03 PM
At the bottom

"Offer sheet: The player currently has an offer sheet pending; if the first year's salary of that offer sheet is greater than the QO, then the value of the first year of the offer sheet is used as the cap hold."

On CBA FAQ it says the first year salary of the offer sheet is not included until they match:

A restricted free agent is included in team salary by the greatest of:

-His free agent amount (as defined in the table above)
-The amount of his qualifying offer (see question number 44)
-The first-year salary in a first refusal exercise notice (a notice given to the player that the team is exercising its right of first refusal by matching an offer sheet (see question number 44)

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Wow, basketball players are thieves nowadays.

IversonIsKrazy
07-09-2014, 08:10 PM
NBA will never NOT have overpaid players eh, lol. Still don't understand what Houston can do. I was under the impression that if Bosh signs w/houston w/in next 72 hrs (before QO expires), then Houston can match anything offered for parsons?

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 08:14 PM
:dance:

rockets-fan
07-09-2014, 08:14 PM
NBA will never NOT have overpaid players eh, lol. Still don't understand what Houston can do. I was under the impression that if Bosh signs w/houston w/in next 72 hrs (before QO expires), then Houston can match anything offered for parsons?

If parsons signs tomorrow, the rockets have until Saturday to match it. Now if bosh decides to leave Miami for Houston before Saturday, we sign bosh and can still match the max offer from parsons. Now will we? Idk, it's a Max offer, but we will see

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 08:15 PM
FUN FACT: Chandler Parsons was 1 of 4 players last season (Durant, LeBron, & Love) to avg 16 PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG & 45% FG.

For those who say he is overpaid... Remember Dirk, Monta, and Harris is underpaid. We have room to be aggressive

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 08:16 PM
That's the only we get him. By paying him $15 mil

Welcome to Dallas (Houston won't match)

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Parsons (Mavs) vs Leonard (Spurs) vs Harden (Rockets) will be the next generation of Texas rivalries (Texas Triangle)

Should be fun!

rockets-fan
07-09-2014, 08:17 PM
That's the only we get him. By paying him $15 mil

Welcome to Dallas (Houston won't match)

Yea I don't think Houston matches it. If Dallas gets him, Congrats! Paraons is by far my favorite player right now. He will do wonders for Dallas. I hope we match tho!

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Chandler Parsons under Rick Carlisle will be even better than he already is! He is so young too.

Asik's better
07-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Just saw if Houston match, parsons would earn more than Harden, Morey don't match.

lincecum=future
I would have to think the Rockets will match. Certainly overpaid but I like Parsons a lot.

bleedprple&gold
I think Houston matches. The whole reason they declined his option and made him a restricted free agents was so they could match any offer.

beasted86
07-09-2014, 08:25 PM
On CBA FAQ it says the first year salary of the offer sheet is not included until they match:

His cap hold counts against their cap space:

14. Exactly what is included when computing total team salaries? What is cap room? What is a cap hold?

The following are included in team salary:
A cap hold for salaries offered in offer sheets to restricted free agents (see question number 44).

If they want to get Bosh or LeBron or Carmelo they have to renounce Parsons. The plan was for him to wait until after Houston got one of those 3 and then work out an extension, but clearly something went wrong in negotiations and Parsons' agent probably felt their numbers were too far apart for him to wait around while the teams with cap space look at other players. If he waited for the Rockets to get their stuff together it might be too late then they turn around like "well who are you going to sign with now? take our ___ offer to play with a contender or too bad" kind of deal.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Its kind of funny to see people talking about Parsons being overpaid, especially Lakers fans. This year Dirk, Parsons, and Devin Harris will make slightly more than Kobe Bryant.

*Silver&Black*
07-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Man, the wings are getting paid. Hawks is going to have to overpay for Deng or Lance (it better be Lance if we overpay).

I like Dallas' roster if this goes down.

astonmartin10
07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Well the only good thing about this contract is make your rival work harder to get what they want, and deal is only 3 years. But still 15 million for Chandler parsons really.....

beasted86
07-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Just speaking in hypothetical here.... If Rockets are forced to sign Bosh for the max as his market value, even if they trade Lin there isn't any cap space left. Do they instead try and trade Lin for a starting SF at that point?

The Mavs really just threw a wrench in all of the Rockets plans.

rockets-fan
07-09-2014, 08:37 PM
His cap hold counts against their cap space:

If they want to get Bosh or LeBron or Carmelo they have to renounce Parsons. The plan was for him to wait until after Houston got one of those 3 and then work out an extension, but clearly something went wrong in negotiations and Parsons' agent probably felt their numbers were too far apart for him to wait around while the teams with cap space look at other players. If he waited for the Rockets to get their stuff together it might be too late then they turn around like "well who are you going to sign with now? take our ___ offer to play with a contender or too bad" kind of deal.

Yea but they have 3 days to match so they can still do both

rockets-fan
07-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Just speaking in hypothetical here.... If Rockets are forced to sign Bosh for the max as his market value, even if they trade Lin there isn't any cap space left. Do they instead try and trade Lin for a starting SF at that point?

The Mavs really just threw a wrench in all of the Rockets plans.

I'm sure morey prepared, let's see what he does

NBA_Starter
07-09-2014, 08:43 PM
CB is on the clock.

Oefarmy2005
07-09-2014, 08:47 PM
I think he is worth - $12 mill, tops and ideally somewhere the 10 range, so it's quite an overpayment. He is a very good player, but I am skeptical he ends up being worth that kind of money. On the other hand it's a short term deal, so it isn't bad for the Mavs.

JNA17
07-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't blame him one bit. He's not worth 15 mill per year, but whatever, get paid bro!

He deserves it much more than Gordan freaking Hayward that's for damn sure lol.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 08:51 PM
CB is on the clock.
The Rockets better hope he isn't waiting on Labron to make a decision because he didn't make a commitment to Riley when they met today. He told Riley he needs to talk with his family first and will be in Brazil until next week.

bstnfn34
07-09-2014, 08:55 PM
I thought Houston already renounced rights to Parsons by not extending qualifying offerto take away cap hold to sign bosh, melo etc

JNA17
07-09-2014, 08:56 PM
FUN FACT: Chandler Parsons was 1 of 4 players last season (Durant, LeBron, & Love) to avg 16 PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG & 45% FG.

For those who say he is overpaid... Remember Dirk, Monta, and Harris is underpaid. We have room to be aggressive

And at least Parsons is actually really good unlike Hayward who is a bonfidie role player at best.

beasted86
07-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Yea but they have 3 days to match so they can still do both

No, I don't think you get it.

Parsons' cap hold immediately went from $1.2M or whatever it was to $14M or whatever it now is.

They no longer have the cap space they had before as soon as he signed that contract.

VladTheImpaler
07-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Parsons' cap hold immediately went from $1.2M or whatever it was to $14M or whatever it now is.

They no longer have the cap space they had before as soon as he signed that contract.

Signs*, which should happen in a few hours.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:05 PM

This is what I was trying to clear up when I started that topic titled Cap Holds. I'm still not 100% clear on it though. Are you 100% sure Parsons cap hold increases because of Dallas' offer?

beasted86
07-09-2014, 09:05 PM
I thought Houston already renounced rights to Parsons by not extending qualifying offerto take away cap hold to sign bosh, melo etc

No, they extended a qualifying offer. That's what made his cap hold so low.

They should have been able to sign a max contract, leaving just enough under the cap to fit his qualifying offer.... and then go over the cap using his Bird rights to sign a contract.

Somewhere along the way Parsons got impatient, or simply the Rockets offer was too low and felt they were stalling while all teams with cap space use it up.

beasted86
07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Signs*, which should happen in a few hours.

Oh, my bad... I thought it was official already. Then maybe this is just a threat to the Rockets to get their act together.

elledaddy
07-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Good move by Cuban, Parsons did no favors for Houston by agreeing before they got word from Bosh but o well. And NO such thing as overpaying, you get what they pay you

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:12 PM
No, they extended a qualifying offer. That's what made his cap hold so low.

They should have been able to sign a max contract, leaving just enough under the cap to fit his qualifying offer.... and then go over the cap using his Bird rights to sign a contract.

Somewhere along the way Parsons got impatient, or simply the Rockets offer was too low and felt they were stalling while all teams with cap space use it up.
I'm telling you guys, Parsons wants to play in Dallas. He's really good friends with Dirk and a lot of the local athletes here in Dallas. He was just at Dirk's charity baseball game last week here in Dallas.

LA_Raiders
07-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Wow $15M? Way overpaid...

DallasTrilla23
07-09-2014, 09:26 PM
They are going to match it. I wouldn't be suprised if Cuban did this just to mess with the Rockets' cap. Now if they want both Bosh and Parsons, they are going to have to sign Bosh in the next 72 hours before they match the offer sheet.

If we do get him tho, I wouldn't complain. It is only a 3 year deal and he is a solid player.

BKLYNpigeon
07-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Houston won't match.

15 mil is too much for them. they're already paying max deals to Harden and Dwight. not enough money to spread around.

NBA_Starter
07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
They are going to match it. I wouldn't be suprised if Cuban did this just to mess with the Rockets' cap. Now if they want both Bosh and Parsons, they are going to have to sign Bosh in the next 72 hours before they match the offer sheet.

If we do get him tho, I wouldn't complain. It is only a 3 year deal and he is a solid player.

The clock is ticking for sure..

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:31 PM

There's no indication Bosh will make his decision within the next 3 days. Everything I've read says he's waiting for Labron to make a decision. Labron is in Brazil and said he won't make a decision until next week.

J4KOP99
07-09-2014, 09:35 PM

There's no indication Bosh will make his decision within the next 3 days. Everything I've read says he's waiting for Labron to make a decision. Labron is in Brazil and said he won't make a decision until next week.

Did Lebron actually say he won't make a decision until next week?

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Did Lebron actually say he won't make a decision until next week?
That's what I heard he told Riley. They met today and he left the meeting without committing to Miami. Said he needed to discuss it with his family first. Also he is definitely taking a vacation to Brazil to watch the World Cup. That won't be over until next week.

J4KOP99
07-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Ladies and gentleman, that is how you start an unsubstantiated rumor... ^^^^

Kevj77
07-09-2014, 09:40 PM
This is what I was trying to clear up when I started that topic titled Cap Holds. I'm still not 100% clear on it though. Are you 100% sure Parsons cap hold increases because of Dallas' offer?It doesn't increase his cap hold. Houston can still sign Bosh and match Parson if they trade Lin and maybe another player. The problem is Lebron is dragging his feat and it is believed that Bosh goes back to Miami if Lebron does. In order to give Bosh a max the Rockets need to move Lin and they only have three days to match Parson's contract which he can officially sign at midnight tonight. Once they match their cap space is gone.

This puts a 72 hour time limit on their offer to sign Bosh and to trade Lin if they intend to match Parsons.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Ladies and gentleman, that is how you start an unsubstantiated rumor... ^^^^
Haha you don't have to believe it.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:45 PM
It doesn't increase his cap hold. Houston can still sign Bosh and match Parson if they trade Lin and maybe another player. The problem is Lebron is dragging his feat and it is believed that Bosh goes back to Miami if Lebron does. In order to give Bosh a max the Rockets need to move Lin and they only have three days to match Parson's contract which he can officially sign at midnight tonight. Once they match their cap space is gone.

This puts a 72 hour time limit on their offer to sign Bosh and to trade Lin if they intend to match Parsons.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Both Labron and Bosh are under no obligation to make a decision within the next 3 days just to help the Rockets.

DallasTrilla23
07-09-2014, 09:46 PM
That's what I heard he told Riley. They met today and he left the meeting without committing to Miami. Said he needed to discuss it with his family first. Also he is definitely taking a vacation to Brazil to watch the World Cup. That won't be over until next week.

He's not in Brazil, he met with Riley in Vegas.

Thumper 88
07-09-2014, 09:47 PM

He didn't say he was in Brazil..

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 09:49 PM
He's headed to Brazil to vacation with his family and watch the World Cup. He left the meeting with Riley without making a commitment. Said he needed to discuss it with his family.

Kevj77
07-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Both Labron and Bosh are under no obligation to make a decision within the next 3 days just to help the Rockets.I think Bosh has already made up his mind. He wants to stay in Miami with Lebron. If Lebron leaves he will jump at the max in Houston. Howard, Bosh, Harden and Parsons sounds like a great plan B for Bosh.

Lebron is hold in all up. He would be a super dick to his friend Bosh if he waits until the Rockets can no longer offer Bosh the max without letting Parsons walk and bolts Miami for Cleveland.

Aust
07-09-2014, 09:53 PM
It will be interesting to see if they can unload Lin and for what price.

Dr Positivity
07-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm still trying to digest Parsons being a 15 mil player. He just "feels" like a 9 or 10.

Kevj77
07-09-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm still trying to digest Parsons being a 15 mil player. He just "feels" like a 9 or 10.Restricted free agents always get overpaid. GMs have to make their original team think twice about matching.

Crackadalic
07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't even think it's overpay. He's that damn good. He's going to be a star out west

SlimKid
07-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I dunno, it's a ton of money for Parsons, but it's only three years. Not too big of a risk for Dallas…imho.

Sound the contract may be front/back loaded as well.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/487044148491333634

beasted86
07-09-2014, 10:09 PM
It doesn't increase his cap hold. Houston can still sign Bosh and match Parson if they trade Lin and maybe another player. The problem is Lebron is dragging his feat and it is believed that Bosh goes back to Miami if Lebron does. In order to give Bosh a max the Rockets need to move Lin and they only have three days to match Parson's contract which he can officially sign at midnight tonight. Once they match their cap space is gone.

If, or once he signs that offer sheet, his cap hold becomes whatever is that offer sheet.

www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q14

That's how I understand this portion.

Verbal Christ
07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
LOL @ Dallas fan acting like they hit the lottery or somehow duped Morey and/or any ROX fan. FAct of the matter is the market dictated Chan's worth and you cant blame the man for getting his money. If anyone in the world thinks that Chan is heading north because he somehow 'loves the city,Dirk and played in a charity softball game (HAHA that's the best one) they are batshit crazy. CREAM baby.

Could the Rockets match? of course, but nobody thought he would get close to maxxed out, but it happened. Parsons is a great glue guy and solid player. He has IMO allowed the lime light and popularity to get the best of him at times and he has a tendency to just disapper for stretches, his defense has regressed, but hey he's young, I hear comparisons to Durant and some other dudes and I just cringe. Some people are setting themselves up for pain if that's what the expectations will be, but enjoy!

I have no doubt that Morey can find another 2nd round gem to become the next Parsons. Developing talent is one thing, but you have to be able to recognize it to begin with.

Thumper 88
07-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Rocket fans already mad lol

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
LOL @ Dallas fan acting like they hit the lottery or somehow duped Morey and/or any ROX fan. FAct of the matter is the market dictated Chan's worth and you cant blame the man for getting his money. If anyone in the world thinks that Chan is heading north because he somehow 'loves the city,Dirk and played in a charity softball game (HAHA that's the best one) they are batshit crazy. CREAM baby.

Could the Rockets match? of course, but nobody thought he would get close to maxxed out, but it happened. Parsons is a great glue guy and solid player. He has IMO allowed the lime light and popularity to get the best of him at times and he has a tendency to just disapper for stretches, his defense has regressed, but hey he's young, I hear comparisons to Durant and some other dudes and I just cringe. Some people are setting themselves up for pain if that's what the expectations will be, but enjoy!

I have no doubt that Morey can find another 2nd round gem to become the next Parsons. Developing talent is one thing, but you have to be able to recognize it to begin with.
Did you just compare Parsons to KD? Haha
You might want to rethink that one.

Verbal Christ
07-09-2014, 10:49 PM

I'm really not sure how to respond to you. Judging by your ridiculous comments and lack of reading comprehension I would ascertain that you are either a) remedial or b) just too young and green when it comes to sports to really bother giving a thought out response to.

As far as being mad about losing Parsons how is that? Guy is getting paid, good for him. Is he really worth 15 MILLION per? I'll go out on a limb and say hell to the no.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm really not sure how to respond to you. Judging by your ridiculous comments and lack of reading comprehension I would ascertain that you are either a) remedial or b) just too young and green when it comes to sports to really bother giving a thought out response to.

As far as being mad about losing Parsons how is that? Guy is getting paid, good for him. Is he really worth 15 MILLION per? I'll go out on a limb and say hell to the no.
You're the only one I've ever seen or heard make that comparison. Don't back pedal now. If that's what you really believe stick to your guns.

ABOMB_56
07-09-2014, 10:55 PM
You're the only one I've ever seen or heard make that comparison. Don't back pedal now. If that's what you really believe stick to your guns.

He clearly says that he cringes whenever he hears the comparisons to KD. And last I checked, cringing when hearing a comparison is not a sign of approval. So, no, he isn't back pedaling. Maybe you should read what was written in the original post more carefully.

NYKNYGNYY
07-09-2014, 11:03 PM
If Houston don't match do the mavs give up a first

Thumper 88
07-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Wut? Lol no

Jarvo
07-09-2014, 11:04 PM
He can shoot an all but cmon son

DallasTrilla23
07-09-2014, 11:08 PM

lolwut? XD

Redrum187
07-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Wow $15M? Way overpaid...

I would agree he is overpaid by several million a year (12 mil sounds more reasonable), but do you have any room to talk about being "overpaid" with the guy in your signature? =p

If Carter signs for the 2.8mil, I'd rather have Dirk/Carter/Parsons than just Kobe Bryant.

MonroeFAN
07-09-2014, 11:10 PM
I don't really like this and think he's overrated. Can't help but think Parsons is the type of player who people will forget about in Dallas while not winning a thing.

Redrum187
07-09-2014, 11:12 PM
I think Chandler Parsons has the ability to live up to his "overpaid" contract a lot easier than Gordon Hayward does. However, I could envision both living up to their respective contracts.

PG: Devin Harris/Raymond Felton
SG: Monta Ellis/Vince Carter
SF: Chandler Parsons/Shawn Marion
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Brandan Wright
C : Tyson Chandler/Bernard James

They could use a better backup C, but that roster looks ridiculously stacked. I would love to see them rematch the Spurs.

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Rocket fans already mad lol

Hahaha I know right!

Saddletramp
07-09-2014, 11:26 PM

HaHa learn how to comprehend basic English.

Cuban is kind of screwing himself now though, right? Morey will wait until the absolute last second with matching or not regardless of any possible scenario and until that happens, that caphold is tying up the Mavs cap space (which is just about all the Mavs have). The only way this would screw over Morey and the Rockets is if LeBron/Bosh haven't decided by the 72 hour window. And if that happens, I'd imagine Morey already knows if he's keeping him or not for 3/$45.

Worst case scenario for the Mavs: Morey matches and Deng/Ariza/whomever already sign elsewhere.
Worst case scenario for the Rockets,:LeBron and Bosh stay or don't make up their minds in time in which case, Morey keeps (an overpaid) Parsons (or let's Parsons go and grabs Deng/Ariza/Whomever for a bit cheaper).

LTBaByyy
07-09-2014, 11:28 PM
I think Chandler Parsons has the ability to live up to his "overpaid" contract a lot easier than Gordon Hayward does. However, I could envision both living up to their respective contracts.

PG: Devin Harris/Raymond Felton
SG: Monta Ellis/Vince Carter
SF: Chandler Parsons/Shawn Marion
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Brandan Wright
C : Tyson Chandler/Bernard James

They could use a better backup C, but that roster looks ridiculously stacked. I would love to see them rematch the Spurs.

Wright and Blair will be the back up Center. Parsons (6'10") can play some small ball PF too like Marion did (Starting SF & Backup PF). Mavs are also really interested in Ivan Johnson that played with the Hawks for a couple years recently.

lincecum=future
07-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Yeah that's a pretty deep squad for the mavs. He'd be a good fit

DallasTrilla23
07-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't really like this and think he's overrated. Can't help but think Parsons is the type of player who people will forget about in Dallas while not winning a thing.

And people only remember him now because he is winning consecutive championships in Houston?

gatkins11
07-09-2014, 11:52 PM

This isn't baseball.

Nikeman
07-09-2014, 11:53 PM
As a HEAT fan, but somebody who lives in Dallas and sees a ton of Mavs games, Parsons is exactly what this team needs. One extra scorer, that needs to be accounted for on the floor at all times. Last season, Dirk and Ellis were the only two players on our team who could score the ball well, we lacked a 3rd option in terms of offense. Dirk and Ellis averaged pretty much 20 points, and Vince Carter was the third leading scorer on the Mavs team with 12 a game.

Problem with that? While Vince Carter's stats look good, if anyone actually watched the Mavs games, he was the most INCONSISTENT player on the god damn roster. There were games he would shoot 1-10, and then games he would shoot 10-13.

Parsons is the perfect fit in that he gives Dallas that consistent 3rd option, who night in and night out gets 15-18 points a game. With the addition of Tyson, a defensive anchor, and Parsons, Dallas may be one of the most complete teams in the NBA next season.

The loss of Calderon however, hurts, he was the perfect pass first PG and perfect floor general for the team, but if the Mavs brought back Marion and Carter, they would have one of the deepest rosters in the NBA.

mightybosstone
07-09-2014, 11:55 PM
As a HEAT fan, but somebody who lives in Dallas and sees a ton of Mavs games, Parsons is exactly what this team needs. One extra scorer, that needs to be accounted for on the floor at all times. Last season, Dirk and Ellis were the only two players on our team who could score the ball well, we lacked a 3rd option in terms of offense. Dirk and Ellis averaged pretty much 20 points, and Vince Carter was the third leading scorer on the Mavs team with 12 a game.

Problem with that? While Vince Carter's stats look good, if anyone actually watched the Mavs games, he was the most INCONSISTENT player on the god damn roster. There were games he would shoot 1-10, and then games he would shoot 10-13.

Parsons is the perfect fit in that he gives Dallas that consistent 3rd option, who night in and night out gets 15-18 points a game. With the addition of Tyson, a defensive anchor, and Parsons, Dallas may be one of the most complete teams in the NBA next season.

The loss of Calderon however, hurts, he was the perfect pass first PG and perfect floor general for the team.

That's all well and good, but it won't matter. I assure you Houston will match.

Nikeman
07-09-2014, 11:57 PM
That's all well and good, but it won't matter. I assure you Houston will match.

My response: Don't be so sure,

Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard · 2h
Houston weighing whether to match Parsons or go for Ariza at lower price. Wash, ATL, LAL, LAC, CHI also interested in Ariza

I know its only Broussard, but maybe Houston doesn't want to pay him 15 per. Who knows.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 12:05 AM

Houston weighing whether to match Parsons or go for Ariza at lower price. Wash, ATL, LAL, LAC, CHI also interested in Ariza

I know its only Broussard, but maybe Houston doesn't want to pay him 15 per. Who knows.

Broussard is full of ****. That logic doesn't even make any sense. The bonus of re-signing Pasons is that Houston can re-sign him and go over the salary cap to do so. That's how they can make the team better, by using their current cap space (minus Jeremy Lin) to add an impact player or two and THEN re-signing Parsons. They won't get to add Ariza instead of Parsons. If they were to get Ariza, it would be instead of Bosh or any other free agent besides Parsons.

rockets-fan

They can't go after Ariza. No cap space

mightybosstone
Seriously. I'm so confident Parsons will be a Rocket in 72 hours I'll do a sig bet with someone. Any takers?

Nikeman
07-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Seriously. I'm so confident Parsons will be a Rocket in 72 hours I'll do a sig bet with someone. Any takers?

No, because they are your team and I am sure you know better than I do about the Rockets and their goals.

ricky recon
07-10-2014, 12:13 AM

What a bad ***.

rockets-fan
07-10-2014, 12:23 AM

I'm nt saying the Rockets don't want to sign, but is Bosh (lebron) doesn't decide in 72 hours, do they match and lose out on Bosh or let him walk? Idk, this is out of Moreys hands.

Well played Dallas, well played. Just another reason to add to my Dallas hatred

scissors
07-10-2014, 12:24 AM

As a Mavs fan I hope you're right. I want the Mavs to be forced to go after Stephenson but I know he will be their last resort. This might be perfect. Deng and Ariza get snatched up while Morey takes every minute to match. Then Mavericks have no choice but to go get Stephenson.

rockets-fan
07-10-2014, 12:26 AM
As a Mavs fan I hope you're right. I want the Mavs to be forced to go after Stephenson but I know he will be their last resort. This might be perfect. Deng and Ariza get snatched up while Morey takes every minute to match. Then Mavericks have no choice but to go get Stephenson.

Would Stevenson play SG or SF?

Point guard
Ellis
Stevenson
Dirk
Chandler

??? I'm not too too familiar with the lineup

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm nt saying the Rockets don't want to sign, but is Bosh (lebron) doesn't decide in 72 hours, do they match and lose out on Bosh or let him walk? Idk, this is out of Moreys hands.

Well played Dallas, well played. Just another reason to add to my Dallas hatred

In the unlikely event that Bosh and Lebron take up the entire 72 hours to make a decision, Houston absolutely has to re-sign Parsons. Has to. You can't go through this entire offseason, lose out on all your free agent targets AND lose your third best player in the process. If it comes down to that, I honestly think Morey will use the cap space available to him to add other players and then re-sign Parsons before the deadline is up.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 12:29 AM
What a bad ***.

I'm not at all. I just think all this talk of Parsons leaving is ridiculous. If you're Morey, you don't let the guy go to RFA for a reason unless you knew this was a possibility. He's too critical to the Rockets' style of play and to the chemistry of the team. Dallas was clever in making this offer, so I'll give some credit to Cuban for making Morey sweat. But ultimately Parsons never had any chance of signing anywhere other than Houston.

Nikeman
07-10-2014, 12:34 AM
What would be super crazy, but an amazing move by LeBron is if he takes Bosh out of Houston by simply stalling. If he waits 3 days, and Bosh waits it out in hope LeBron returns to Miami and the Rockets are forced to sign Parsons before Bosh, then LeBron essentially kills Bosh going to Houston and kills a team he may need to face in the NBA finals down the road lol.

TrueFan420
How the **** does chandler parsons make $15 mil a year? Unbelievable

Cause he's a RFA and the team has to over pay to make it harder on Houston to keep him as well as taking them out of the sweepstakes for a big 4

scissors
Would Stevenson play SG or SF?

Point guard
Ellis
Stevenson
Dirk
Chandler

??? I'm not too too familiar with the lineup

It would be a bit awkward. But Stephenson and Ellis are both capable of playing the 1 and both have a distributing mentality on offense (I know that sounds weird since Monta carried that "chucker" label for so long). Unfortunately they both turn the ball over a lot. But I see them being 1-2 in the starting lineup and Stephenson playing anywhere from 1-3 depending on the lineup.

gatkins11
07-10-2014, 12:41 AM
As a Mavs fan, I do not want Stephenson if Ellis is still on the team. No thanks.

scissors
07-10-2014, 12:44 AM
As a Mavs fan, I do not want Stephenson if Ellis is still on the team. No thanks.

Why? because of position issues? Or because you think they will be a bad influence on each other? They are completely different players. Stephenson is a defense/rebound/hustle bulldog with low usage rate, high assist rate and above average shooting efficiency. Plus he can really get to the rack.

Also his standing reach is almost the same as Parsons and he can guard players like Lebron and KD way better than Parsons.

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 12:46 AM
In the unlikely event that Bosh and Lebron take up the entire 72 hours to make a decision, Houston absolutely has to re-sign Parsons. Has to. You can't go through this entire offseason, lose out on all your free agent targets AND lose your third best player in the process. If it comes down to that, I honestly think Morey will use the cap space available to him to add other players and then re-sign Parsons before the deadline is up.
I actually have a feeling that Bosh is going to continue to wait for Labron to make a decision. And Labron will continue to take his time (which he has every right to do because its HIS future not anyone else's). On hour 72 when the Rockets realize Bosh hasn't made up his mind yet they will take Bosh's offer off the table and match the deal for Parsons. If Ariza and Deng are already signed Dallas will look to sign Stephenson. I believe Stephenson would be the starting SF depending on matchups.

ricky recon
07-10-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm not at all. I just think all this talk of Parsons leaving is ridiculous. If you're Morey, you don't let the guy go to RFA for a reason unless you knew this was a possibility. He's too critical to the Rockets' style of play and to the chemistry of the team. Dallas was clever in making this offer, so I'll give some credit to Cuban for making Morey sweat. But ultimately Parsons never had any chance of signing anywhere other than Houston.

I guess you had dinner with Morey tonight, because you seem to talk in definite's like you know more than the insiders.

By the way, Houston wouldn't be able to use Parsons' Veteran Free Agent Exception (Larry Bird Exception or Bird Rights) to do what you proposed in your prior post just FYI.

scissors
07-10-2014, 12:53 AM
I guess you had dinner with Morey tonight, because you seem to talk in definite's like you know more than the insiders.

By the way, Houston wouldn't be able to use Parsons' Veteran Free Agent Exception (Larry Bird Exception or Bird Rights) to do what you proposed in your prior post just FYI.

Yes they can. Parsons' cap hold is only 2.8 million. That leaves them lots of room. When they fill up the room they can match the max offer.

Kevj77
07-10-2014, 01:14 AM
I'm not at all. I just think all this talk of Parsons leaving is ridiculous. If you're Morey, you don't let the guy go to RFA for a reason unless you knew this was a possibility. He's too critical to the Rockets' style of play and to the chemistry of the team. Dallas was clever in making this offer, so I'll give some credit to Cuban for making Morey sweat. But ultimately Parsons never had any chance of signing anywhere other than Houston.They let Parsons become a free agent this year so that he would be restricted if they had waited until next year I heard he would have been an UFA. By doing it now before extending him they can take advantage of his low cap hold spend cap space then re-sign him or match. Next year they would have risked losing him or had to re-sign him to an extension before he became a free agent and lost out on cap space to sign a max type guy like Bosh.

It was without a doubt a calculated bold move. Houston is going for it. They can't wait forever on Bosh though, Houston needs a plan B. Doubt they will be in a position again to offer max type money in the near future with Howard, Harden and Parsons making big money.

ricky recon
07-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Yes they can. Parsons' cap hold is only 2.8 million. That leaves them lots of room. When they fill up the room they can match the max offer.

Why would his cap hold be only 2.8?

And if it is only 2.8, why would Houston Rockets, a business mind you, dedicate that many years to be that much over the luxury tax?

ricky recon
07-10-2014, 01:20 AM
...and to add to that, if Houston truly wanted Chris Bosh, wouldn't it benefit them to let Parsons go (cap hold)?

ricky recon
07-10-2014, 01:23 AM
...and why would Houston even bother offering Dirk Nowitzki a max contract if he took a paycut on purpose? To leave the city he's king of? and to play with the center that didn't want to play in Dallas last year?

There is literally no logical argument to any of that, outside of Houston fans grasping for straws.

DallasTrilla23
07-10-2014, 01:28 AM
...and to add to that, if Houston truly wanted Chris Bosh, wouldn't it benefit them to let Parsons go (cap hold)?

Because they want both of them. Morey wants to hit the home run.

Kevj77
07-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Ricky the Mavs offer does not increase his cap hold for the Rockets until they re-sign him by matching the offer. They have 72 hours from the time he signed the contract to match because he was a restricted free agent. That gives the Rockets 72 hours to take advantage of his low cap hold and sign free agents before they match his offer.

If they can sign Bosh in the next 72 hours they don't even have to let Parsons go they can use bird rights to go over the cap that is the point.

scissors
07-10-2014, 01:37 AM
...and why would Houston even bother offering Dirk Nowitzki a max contract if he took a paycut on purpose? To leave the city he's king of? and to play with the center that didn't want to play in Dallas last year?

There is literally no logical argument to any of that, outside of Houston fans grasping for straws.

I'm a Mavs fan. Learn how the CBA works and calm down.

bleedprple&gold
07-10-2014, 01:37 AM
They let Parsons become a free agent this year so that he would be restricted if they had waited until next year I heard he would have been an UFA. By doing it now before extending him they can take advantage of his low cap hold spend cap space then re-sign him or match. Next year they would have risked losing him or had to re-sign him to an extension before he became a free agent and lost out on cap space to sign a max type guy like Bosh.

It was without a doubt a calculated bold move. Houston is going for it. They can't wait forever on Bosh though, Houston needs a plan B. Doubt they will be in a position again to offer max type money in the near future with Howard, Harden and Parsons making big money.

It was a bold move but one I think they would take back now with the possibility they could lose out on Bosh or lose Parsons. If Parsons was still getting his peanuts salary this year it would be a non-issue.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2014, 01:39 AM
I let him walk if I am Morey

Kevj77
07-10-2014, 01:45 AM
It was a bold move but one I think they would take back now with the possibility they could lose out on Bosh or lose Parsons. If Parsons was still getting his peanuts salary this year it would be a non-issue.Bold moves can backfire. The Lakers are still paying for the Nash and Howard trades. They can also have big rewards. I'll give Houston credit they are going for it.

rockets-fan
07-10-2014, 01:51 AM
It was a bold move but one I think they would take back now with the possibility they could lose out on Bosh or lose Parsons. If Parsons was still getting his peanuts salary this year it would be a non-issue.

And possibly lose him next year

Saddletramp
07-10-2014, 01:52 AM
I think everyone is forgetting that if New Orleans can't clear the cap room for Asik in the next 72 hours, the Rockets won't be able to trade Asik there in time to offer Bosh his deal. No idea how close they are but apparently the Sixers will take Lin.

ricky recon
07-10-2014, 02:03 AM
I'm a Mavs fan. Learn how the CBA works and calm down.

Well.. that was kind of random. I do, however, appreciate your dig-tip about "learning how the CBA works".

I have a pretty firm grasp on the new CBA, and therefore thought Parsons would have a bigger cap hold than 2.8 considering his years with the team on a rookie contract, but none of that really is important given the questions I asked that where purely rhetorical questions I was somewhat thinking out loud all sarcasm aside.

So yeah.

shep33
07-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Parsons is partying with Cubes right now.

scissors
07-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Well.. that was kind of random. I do, however, appreciate your dig-tip about "learning how the CBA works".

I have a pretty firm grasp on the new CBA, and therefore thought Parsons would have a bigger cap hold than 2.8 considering his years with the team on a rookie contract, but none of that really is important given the questions I asked that where purely rhetorical questions I was somewhat thinking out loud all sarcasm aside.

So yeah.

You kind of said I was a HOU fan grasping for straws. His cap hold is 2.8 because that is his QO and he was only making like 880k last year. The Rockets owner has said that he is willing to go into the tax for a legit contender. I think HOU will match unless Bosh doesn't go to HOU in which case I could actually see them passing on Parsons, signing some 1yr deals and waiting to land a max guy next summer.

shep33
07-10-2014, 02:15 AM
https://twitter.com/clutchfans

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 02:35 AM
Parsons is partying with Cubes right now.
Just saw the photos on twitter

Asik's better
07-10-2014, 02:43 AM
https://twitter.com/clutchfans
I want to angry but my god he is a handsome man. I can't stay angry at that face.

shep33
07-10-2014, 03:10 AM
I want to angry but my god he is a handsome man. I can't stay angry at that face.

:laugh:

He is one handsome man. All seriousness. I'd let him walk. He's replaceable for a cheaper option. Deng, or maybe Pierce + another player?

DallasTrilla23
07-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Cuban is rubbing in Morey's face with those pictures. That's like someone sending you pictures of him and your girlfriend in a hotel room.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Lol

nycericanguy
07-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Morey got too cute, RFA tend to get crazy offers, he could have kept him at dirt cheap for one more year worst case scenario. And as an UFA next year, he probably wouldn't get the same crazy offers... but even if he did, it would have essentially been 4 years 47m if he had just picked up the option this year.

I think it's a case of a GM trying to outsmart everyone to the point where he outsmarts himself... like the CAVS everytime they get the #1 pick...

not to mention next year he wouldn't have had to worry about unloading Asik/Lin

Crackadalic
07-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Dwain Price @DwainPrice 1 minute ago
RFA Chandler Parsons sent a tweet today at 12:47 after a night of celebrating with family, friends and #Mavs owner Mark Cuban.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
I let him walk if I am Morey

But why? Morey knew that letting Parsons go to RFA was a gamble and he was probably going to sign an offer sheet of more than he was worth. Also, as long as Bosh is willing to take slightly less than the max (still likely more than he's going to get from any other contender), Morey can still have his cake and eat it, too. Plus, if he lets Parsons go, then Houston has a huge hole at SF and no cap room to sign anyone to replace Parsons. They might have part or all of the MLE, but then what starting caliber SF is going to sign such a mediocre deal when they can get far more on the open market?

Even if Morey doesn't get Bosh in the next 72 hours, he still had a lot of cap room to play with and other players he can sign and STILL keep Parsons. That's the beauty of Bird rights. Houston will still probably go over the luxury tax, but Alexander has already said he's willing to pay to give Morey everything he needs to build a champion.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Morey got too cute, RFA tend to get crazy offers, he could have kept him at dirt cheap for one more year worst case scenario. And as an UFA next year, he probably wouldn't get the same crazy offers... but even if he did, it would have essentially been 4 years 47m if he had just picked up the option this year.

I think it's a case of a GM trying to outsmart everyone to the point where he outsmarts himself... like the CAVS everytime they get the #1 pick...

not to mention next year he wouldn't have had to worry about unloading Asik/Lin
Parsons most certainly would have still gotten crazy offers next year. The only difference is that as a RFA this year, Morey can match any of those offers and keep Parsons a Houston Rocket in the long term. So, essentially by doing this he guarantees that he can still use the cap space from Lin and Asik leaving to add other pieces and still keep Parsons.

The other thing you're not mentioning is that Houston would have far less cap space next offseason as both Harden and Dwight make another $1 million apiece and the options for every other player on the roster are more than this season. AND they're going to have to deal with Patrick Beverley's RFA next year. Getting Parsons taken care of made far more sense financially this season. And while it's unfortunate that Cuban threw a wrench into plans, I still fully believe that Parsons will be a Rocket in three days.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 09:33 AM
One thing that's worth mentioning is that Morey also holds a few cards of his own in this situation. As Cuban and the Mavs wait 72 hours for an answer, other free agent wings are going to be signed. And once Lebron makes his decision, all hell is going to break lose. I can guarantee that Morey will wait as long as he can to force Cuban and the Mavs to wait as long as possible to sign a Plan B. I doubt there will be much left at that point.

nycericanguy
07-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Parsons most certainly would have still gotten crazy offers next year. The only difference is that as a RFA this year, Morey can match any of those offers and keep Parsons a Houston Rocket in the long term. So, essentially by doing this he guarantees that he can still use the cap space from Lin and Asik leaving to add other pieces and still keep Parsons.

The other thing you're not mentioning is that Houston would have far less cap space next offseason as both Harden and Dwight make another $1 million apiece and the options for every other player on the roster are more than this season. AND they're going to have to deal with Patrick Beverley's RFA next year. Getting Parsons taken care of made far more sense financially this season. And while it's unfortunate that Cuban threw a wrench into plans, I still fully believe that Parsons will be a Rocket in three days.

but the idea was to add a FA this summer... Melo...Bosh... etc... so why worry about salary increases next year? Why not at least guarantee that you can make 1 more run with Parsons?

Morey is a great GM... but he shot himself in the foot here, you don't have to defend EVERY move he makes...

It's a lose - lose here... paying Parsons 15.5m is no win.

Vinylman
07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
And possibly lose him next year

That's the piece everyone is forgetting... he could just leave next year as an UFA

Vinylman
07-10-2014, 09:46 AM
but the idea was to add a FA this summer... Melo...Bosh... etc... so why worry about salary increases next year? Why not at least guarantee that you can make 1 more run with Parsons?

Morey is a great GM... but he shot himself in the foot here, you don't have to defend EVERY move he makes...

how is it a lose/lose if bosh signs with them in the next day or so?

your comments are premature

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 09:58 AM

How is it a lose-lose? I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but it just doesn't make sense. Why should you worry about salary increases next year? Because it essentially forces Morey to make a move to get a marquee free agent this year while he still has the cap room to do so. Also, by making Parsons a RFA, he's guaranteed to be able to match any other team's offer sheet.

You seem to be under the impression that Parsons would have gotten substantially less money next year. That just isn't the case. Somebody would have offered him a bunch of money. Maybe it's not $15 million. Maybe it was $13 million or $14 million. But it still would have been a lot. At least as a RFA, Morey can match the offer and guarantee that Parsons is a Rocket for several more years.

eternal slumber
07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Mavs mulling a S&T with Houston

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/487276672782467072

eternal slumber
07-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Rockets having some thoughts whether to match or not.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/487258303752568832

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Mavs mulling a S&T with Houston

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/487276672782467072

I've seen that, too, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes from Houston's perspective. What could Dallas possibly offer Houston that would make the Rockets want to give up their third best player? The Mavs definitely wouldn't want to deal Dirk, and Marion is the only other guy on last year's roster that would make much sense for Houston.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
I've seen that, too, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes from Houston's perspective. What could Dallas possibly offer Houston that would make the Rockets want to give up their third best player? The Mavs definitely wouldn't want to deal Dirk, and Marion is the only other guy on last year's roster that would make much sense for Houston.

Matrix isn't on the roster.. I have heard of jae Crowder being named..

Anyways this is only getting better for Houston because the clock hasn't started yet

VladTheImpaler
07-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Anyways this is only getting better for Houston because the clock hasn't started yet

Mavs still have his bird rights, so could be a double sign and trade. If it's true that Houston is discussing this, could be a sign they don't want to match the offer sheet. Makes a bit of sense, four big deals like that is quite a bit of salary, can't blame them if they'd like to avoid spending it. If they land Bosh, would make a bit of sense to prefer Marion at $6-8 million and add another asset.

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 02:16 PM

The clock starts today. From everything I've been hearing in order to sign Bosh to the max the Rockets are going to have to also ship out Beverly in addition to Lin. Matrix is unrestricted but I would think he would be open to going to Houston in a sign and trade. He would get to start and still be on a contender. There would obviously be more players involved and possibly even a third team. If the Mavs can walk away from this with Parsons and a PG (not necessarily Beverly) and only giving up Matrix (who was going to be gone anyways), and maybe Crowder and let's Ricky Ledo I would say its a huge win for Dallas. The Rockets would also get to clear some cap space to sign Bosh and get a very good defender at the SF position that won't take any shots away from their big 3.

eternal slumber
07-10-2014, 02:16 PM

seems like they are really talking now, Woj said so.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/487292898300678145

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
The clock has not started yet if they are discussing a s&t.

And the bird rights to Matrix are no good unless you want to pay him more than his 13m cap hit from the way I understand it.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Mavs have the signed sheet they just haven't submitted yet.. Which could mean a few things

1. Houston brought up a s&t idea to stall out and buy some time

2. Houston doesn't want to match and this is legit.

If it's legit and Dallas knows Houston doesn't want to match then ball is their court.

If for all of a sudden Dallas submits the sheet I believe it was most likely a stall tactic

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 02:42 PM

And the bird rights to Matrix are no good unless you want to pay him more than his 13m cap hit from the way I understand it.

According to Donnie Nelson he's trying to work out a deal where both teams can win in this deal. Also said that the offer sheet will be submitted to Houston today so IF a sign and trade can't be worked out the Rockets would have until Sunday night to match the offer.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Would have been nice to start the clock at midnight

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I just don't see any way the Rockets could "win" in a sign and trade with Dallas for Parsons. What assets do they have that the Rockets would covet? The only thing I can think of is if Marion would agree to a sign and trade with Houston, but I don't even know if that's a feasible option or what the particulars are of Marion's situation. But there are no Mavericks players the Rockets would covet aside from Dirk.

VladTheImpaler
07-10-2014, 02:51 PM

No, but it would allow Houston to add Marion after signing Bosh, if that's their plan.

VladTheImpaler
07-10-2014, 02:52 PM
I just don't see any way the Rockets could "win" in a sign and trade with Dallas for Parsons. What assets do they have that the Rockets would covet? The only thing I can think of is if Marion would agree to a sign and trade with Houston, but I don't even know if that's a feasible option or what the particulars are of Marion's situation. But there are no Mavericks players the Rockets would covet aside from Dirk.

It might be a "win" in the sense that they don't lose Parsons for nothing.

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Marion wouldn't require shots. He's also still an excellent defender and would be a lot cheaper than the $15 mil that Parsons will be making. His whole reason for considering signing somewhere else is because he wants to start. I have a feeling that Dallas gets in on the Lin trade to Philly. Houston would be killing two birds with one stone, the fill their need at SF at a cheaper price and they dump salary (Lin) in order to sign Bosh. Plus Marion would be a very traceable asset if the Rockets chose to do so at the trade deadline. The way Parsons deal is structured the Rockets wouldn't be able to trade him in the 1st year of the contract.

DallasTrilla23
07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Unless they get dirk, the rockets won't win in a sign and trade if it happens but I still don't believe Rockets won't match the offer sheet.

scissors
07-10-2014, 03:06 PM
I read that regardless of whether the sheet was submitted at midnight or 10pm HOU has until 5pm Sunday.

So now maybe HOU is offering DAL a S&T that pays Parsons more in the 10-12mil range and Dallas is giving them to the end of the day to work it out because the deadline doesn't move unless they wait until tomorrow.

VladTheImpaler
07-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Well, so much for that, offer sheet was delivered, according to Woj.

Dallas delivered Chandler Parsons' $46M sheet to Houston, ending sign-and-trade talks, source tells Yahoo. Rockets have three days to match.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Yep I thought Houston was just buying time..

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Too bad. I would have liked for the Mavs to get Beverly in the deal too. Oh well, balls in your court now Houston.

scissors
07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/487309504665497601

Rockets have offer sheet.

Saddletramp
07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
If Bosh signs, they're screwed, cap wise, for a few years so they'll want to sign Parsons and just ride with what they got plus draft picks/minimum salary guys. If Bosh signs with them then signing that contract for Parsons will screw them too and they won't be able to sign anyone else besides draft picks/minimum guys. If Bosh doesn't sign, I figure Morey won't want that much cap space tied to one guy who's overpaid.

Nikeman
07-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Yahoo Sources: Houston, Dallas discussing sign-and-trade deal for Chandler Parsons. yhoo.it/1lVa059

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Yahoo Sources: Houston, Dallas discussing sign-and-trade deal for Chandler Parsons. yhoo.it/1lVa059

Old news, like 12 minutes ago.. Get with the times bro

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Old news, like 12 minutes ago.. Get with the times bro

Haha! That reminded me of that commercial... "Do you know how to post videos to Facebook?"

astrosmaniac
07-10-2014, 03:54 PM
The clock starts today. From everything I've been hearing in order to sign Bosh to the max the Rockets are going to have to also ship out Beverly in addition to Lin. Matrix is unrestricted but I would think he would be open to going to Houston in a sign and trade. He would get to start and still be on a contender. There would obviously be more players involved and possibly even a third team. If the Mavs can walk away from this with Parsons and a PG (not necessarily Beverly) and only giving up Matrix (who was going to be gone anyways), and maybe Crowder and let's Ricky Ledo I would say its a huge win for Dallas. The Rockets would also get to clear some cap space to sign Bosh and get a very good defender at the SF position that won't take any shots away from their big 3.

No. Beverly isn't going anywhere. If they need to dump more salary the most likely candidate is D-Mo since he counts about 1.5 mil against the cap and would be behind jones, bosh, and howard in the rotation

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Sam Amick @sam_amick 3 minutes ago
At @USATODAYsports: The Chandler Parsons clock is officially running for the Houston Rockets after Mavericks offer - usatoday.com/story/sports/n…

Looks like Houston wasn't interested in those sign and trade options from Dallas. I can't tell if this makes me feel more confident or less confident. This NBA free agency period is starting to make me feel like an addict. I can't leave the Hoopshype Twitter page, my emotions fluctuate from a 1-10 in a matter of seconds and I can't get on with my life until this is over. I have problems.

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Looks like Houston wasn't interested in those sign and trade options from Dallas. I can't tell if this makes me feel more confident or less confident. This NBA free agency period is starting to make me feel like an addict. I can't leave the Hoopshype Twitter page, my emotions fluctuate from a 1-10 in a matter of seconds and I can't get on with my life until this is over. I have problems.

That makes two of us.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Well add me so that's 3

eternal slumber
07-10-2014, 04:05 PM

i feel you MTB especially us Rockets fans. i'm hoping every time i go online, i always hope LeBron decided to go play in Cleveland so we can already nab Bosh and match this pending offer sheet for Chandler.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 04:05 PM

It bought Houston about 16 extra hours so I would feel more confident.. Though it does look like they might not match..

In all honestly I think it was a smoke screen by Houston to buy more time

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 04:38 PM
It bought Houston about 16 extra hours so I would feel more confident.. Though it does look like they might not match..

In all honestly I think it was a smoke screen by Houston to buy more time

That's what I'm thinking. This is just my opinion but I have a feeling that Labron isn't going to make his decision until Monday or Tuesday when he gets back from Brazil. And I believe he's going back to Cleveland. Houston would still get Bosh but would miss out in the opportunity to match the Parsons deal.

Bruno
07-10-2014, 05:14 PM
massive overpays at the SF position this off-season.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 05:34 PM
That's what I'm thinking. This is just my opinion but I have a feeling that Labron isn't going to make his decision until Monday or Tuesday when he gets back from Brazil. And I believe he's going back to Cleveland. Houston would still get Bosh but would miss out in the opportunity to match the Parsons deal.

It's possible he does that, but would if you knew Bosh wanted to go to Houston as his backup plan, would you really do that to your buddy? If you're Bosh, you'd be absolutely furious at Lebron at that point.

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 05:42 PM
It's possible he does that, but would if you knew Bosh wanted to go to Houston as his backup plan, would you really do that to your buddy? If you're Bosh, you'd be absolutely furious at Lebron at that point.

Yea Bosh would have a right to be mad however for Labron this is not a decision that should be rushed just because Bosh might get mad if he takes his time. Labron has a lot to mull over. The wrong decision could affect his legacy negatively. Plus his family has to be considered and where they would be happy.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Yea Bosh would have a right to be mad however for Labron this is not a decision that should be rushed just because Bosh might get mad if he takes his time. Labron has a lot to mull over. The wrong decision could affect his legacy negatively. Plus his family has to be considered and where they would be happy.

I get that, but he should at least have a conversation with Bosh about it beforehand to let him know that his decision may come after the Parsons deadline. Although I would be seriously surprised if Lebron takes that long to make this decision. He knows the whole world is waiting on him and you can only weigh the pros and cons so many teams before you're already overthought the situation.

I'm not normally one to rush a free agent decision, but given how much time he's had and how it's impacting the rest of the league and its players, I think he really should decide in the the next day or two.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Bosh is a little beaoch.. He should be able to make his own decisions but he has to wait for Bron.. How lame

ragee
07-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Ok, there is news coming out that Lebron is headed back to Cleveland for sure? So I guess Bosh is headed to Houston. Where does that leave Parsons? Will they still be able to match? I want him in a Mavs uniform badly. Houston, please just let him go! lol

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Ok, there is news coming out that Lebron is headed back to Cleveland for sure? So I guess Bosh is headed to Houston. Where does that leave Parsons? Will they still be able to match? I want him in a Mavs uniform badly. Houston, please just let him go! lol
As far as I know there is no news that Lebron is going to Cleveland aside from Chris Sheridan. But the answer to your question is yes. Houston could add Bosh and re-sign Parsons as long as they got it all done by 11 p.m. CST on Sunday. They've got some work to do, though. The Asik to New Orleans deal still hasn't gotten completed yet and they still need to ship off Lin and probably Motiejunas, Canaan and Jones as well.

ragee
07-10-2014, 07:34 PM
As far as I know there is no news that Lebron is going to Cleveland aside from Chris Sheridan. But the answer to your question is yes. Houston could add Bosh and re-sign Parsons as long as they got it all done by 11 p.m. CST on Sunday. They've got some work to do, though. The Asik to New Orleans deal still hasn't gotten completed yet and they still need to ship off Lin and probably Motiejunas, Canaan and Jones as well.

Sixers has agreed to get Lin already, right? So that just leaves 3 small contracts that I'm sure Morey will find a way to dispose. FML

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Sixers has agreed to get Lin already, right? So that just leaves 3 small contracts that I'm sure Morey will find a way to dispose. FML

I think they are waiting to see if Bosh is going to actually sign with them before pulling the trigger on the Lin trade. I don't think they want to trade him unless they absolutely have to. They also still need New Orleans to clear cap space before the Asik trade can be completed.

Mr.B
07-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Is it 11:00 or 5:00 that Houston needs to match the contract by? I thought it was 5:00, I could be wrong though.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Is it 11:00 or 5:00 that Houston needs to match the contract by? I thought it was 5:00, I could be wrong though.

I saw several tweets earlier today that said it was 11 p.m., but I've seen a lot of conflicting reports about this stuff in the last 24 hours, so I wouldn't be shocked if that was wrong.

sep11ie
07-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Parsons is gone, let's embrace that. I'm OK with it. I'd rather get someone for half the price, same results with half the hype. Retract the bosh offer, sign Ariza, Marion and some vets to fill out the roster. Bye Chandler.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Ariza + Matrix combo is better than Chandler if you need a sf and sf back up

sep11ie
07-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Agreed 150%

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Not sure if you get that combo for 15m.. I know Matrix will take a pay cut for Mavs at around 5m or a little less but everyone else he's asking for around 8m

NBA_Starter
07-10-2014, 09:10 PM
This is all so confusing.

Verbal Christ
07-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I think if you are Morey you thank Chan and let him get his money. No way you can pay Parsons the same as Harden. Morey is a value orientated guy and it just doesn't make sense. I know Les Alexander is on record saying he wont hesitate to pay the luxury tax for a contender. Does keeping Parsons at that rate ensure a contender just by himself? Can he sway a series? I'm not so sure. If Houston matches and they can somehow get Bosh signed and get rid of the necessary contracts I'll be shocked.

sep11ie
07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm OK with telling Parsons "Thanks for Howard" and enjoy not winning.

Thumper 88
07-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Lol don't be mad.. Mavs will be right there with Houston if not a bit better.. What did he win with the rockets? A first round exit that's it.. Don't let the homer in you blind you from reality

Denverbronco007
07-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Bosh should just sign already... Wait, he can't sign until we have the necessary cap room. That's obviously holding things up right?

Denverbronco007
07-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Sucks we're losing Chandler

Saddletramp
07-10-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty sure if Bosh signs with Houston then Morey will match Parsons knowing that they're going to be in cap hell for a few years anyway. If Bosh doesn't go to Houston, there'd be no need to wreck that space for years on an overpay.

Figure it out, LeBron.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 11:04 PM
I think if you are Morey you thank Chan and let him get his money. No way you can pay Parsons the same as Harden. Morey is a value orientated guy and it just doesn't make sense. I know Les Alexander is on record saying he wont hesitate to pay the luxury tax for a contender. Does keeping Parsons at that rate ensure a contender just by himself? Can he sway a series? I'm not so sure. If Houston matches and they can somehow get Bosh signed and get rid of the necessary contracts I'll be shocked.

Even if Morey can't get Bosh to sign by Sunday, I think he needs to get whatever other pieces he can to beef upf the rotation with the cap space he has available and then re-sign Parsons. Yeah, it's an overpay. But three guaranteed years of Parsons is better than saving the cap space, waiting a year and holding out hope for a player who may never come. Houston was a damn good basketball team last season in the first year together with that core. If they can really work on the rotation and keep that core in place, they could contend for a title the next few years. But if you let Parsons walk, there's very little chance they can replace him in free agency.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Bosh should just sign already... Wait, he can't sign until we have the necessary cap room. That's obviously holding things up right?

No dude. Lebron is what's holding things up right now. Bosh is not going to sign with Houston until he's 100% sure Lebron is not coming back to Miami. Once Lebron makes his decision, we'll have a better idea of what the Rockets free agency situation should look like. I would imaging that Morey probably already has the deals in place to move Lin and other guys in order to make as much cap room as possible for Bosh.

DallasTrilla23
07-10-2014, 11:11 PM
They are going to match it. Morey is not an idiot, he had to expect Parsons getting a huge offered to him. Like a couple of people said before, Why would he make him a RFA this year instead of having him on a cheap contract for another year if he was just going to let him walk.

I'm not buying these reports saying that the rockets are not sure whether they will match until they don't match.

mightybosstone
07-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Parsons is gone, let's embrace that. I'm OK with it. I'd rather get someone for half the price, same results with half the hype. Retract the bosh offer, sign Ariza, Marion and some vets to fill out the roster. Bye Chandler.

:facepalm: Dude... no he's not. He never was. You honestly think Morey would let Parsons to go free agency if he didn't think this was a possibility? If Morey was fine with losing Chandler, he wouldn't have let him go to free agency at all. He would have just taken the super cheap final year of Parsons' contract and let him walk next offseason. I don't buy that Morey's just going to let him walk for a second.

Also, you bring up all these other players Houston is going to pursue. With what cap space? They can't add Bosh AND replace Parsons with those guys, because they can only re-sign Parsons to go over the cap, not other players. And I'd be willing to bet that Ariza, Marion and "some vets" will get more than that $15 million combined next season.

Plus, in the event that Morey doesn't get Bosh and then backs that up by not re-signing Chandler, he won't then go and blow the remainder of his cap space on veteran fill ins. He'll sign guys to one-year deals and wait until the trade deadline or next offseason to add that third star. But I don't think it will come to that. If Bosh doesn't decide by Sunday or ends up staying in Miami, then I think he'll use the cap space he has available to add a vet or two and re-sign Parsons while he can still keep the core together.

LA_Raiders
07-10-2014, 11:34 PM
They should match it and send bosh to hell. He is just a joke like LeClown

scissors
07-10-2014, 11:37 PM
They should match it and send bosh to hell. He is just a joke like LeClown

If hou matches before bosh can make up his mind and Lebron guys to clev bosh has nowhere left to go but Chicago.

scissors
07-10-2014, 11:39 PM

Butt hurt? He's not even gone yet. Mavs won 49 games with a much worse roster last year and we all know what they did vs spurs.

Monta is beast
07-10-2014, 11:40 PM
if they let him walk morey aint to smart. could have had him cheap for another year, traded him etc

brandt
07-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty sure if Bosh signs with Houston then Morey will match Parsons knowing that they're going to be in cap hell for a few years anyway. If Bosh doesn't go to Houston, there'd be no need to wreck that space for years on an overpay.

Figure it out, LeBron.

This. Morey already said he would match any offer for Parson's, regardless of what It is. If that means Bosh signs and they go over their cap space then so be it. That will be a heck of a team though if that does happen. I honestly hope they do match it because I can't stand Cuban!

beasted86
07-11-2014, 12:07 AM

Figure it out, LeBron.

Look, I don't have all the answers either, but I wouldn't hold out hope. I think you guys are getting played by the media.

Bosh is on vacation traveling the world riding camels and dancing with penguins. He hasn't even had a face to face meeting with the Rockets but he's going to commit to sign with them in the next 3 days?

As I'll repeat, I don't know it all, but does that sound likely? Broussard is feeding everyone bull crap.

brandt
07-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Look, I don't have all the answers either, but I wouldn't hold out hope. I think you guys are getting played by the media.

Bosh is on vacation traveling the world riding camels and dancing with penguins. He hasn't even had a face to face meeting with the Rockets but he's going to commit to sign with them in the next 3 days?

As I'll repeat, I don't know it all, but does that sound likely? Broussard is feeding everyone bull crap.

If Lebron signs with someone other than the Heat in the next 3 days, then yes it will happen.

Mr.B
07-11-2014, 12:18 AM
They are going to match it. Morey is not an idiot, he had to expect Parsons getting a huge offered to him. Like a couple of people said before, Why would he make him a RFA this year instead of having him on a cheap contract for another year if he was just going to let him walk.

I'm not buying these reports saying that the rockets are not sure whether they will match until they don't match.
I honestly don't think they expected Parsons to be offered that much money. I think they also underestimated how fond Chandler is of the city of Dallas and how close him and Dirk are. They expected it to be a given that he would just wait for the Rockets.

beasted86
07-11-2014, 12:23 AM
If Lebron signs with someone other than the Heat in the next 3 days, then yes it will happen.
I wouldn't bet on it. Though it's possible, somehow my gut is telling me the media is playing this up hard.

At least with LeBron he played for the Cavs before. Bosh jets over to the States to sign a last minute max contract without previously talking with the coach or anything like that. Seems super fishy and fairy tale.

Rockets may not even end up doing either Asik or Lin trade as they are both simple salary dumps. If that last part really happens I hope people ban Twitter NBA rumors during free agency.

brandt
07-11-2014, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't bet on it. Though it's possible, somehow my gut is telling me the media is playing this up hard.

At least with LeBron he played for the Cavs before. Bosh jets over to the States to sign a last minute max contract without previously talking with the coach or anything like that. Seems super fishy and fairy tale.

Rockets may not even end up doing either Asik or Lin trade as they are both simple salary dumps. If that last part really happens I hope people ban Twitter NBA rumors during free agency.

I think it can go either way. The media has definitely been playing all of these potential moves up hard, and I wish it would just all hurry up and be done with. Not just Bosh but Lebron, etc... Bosh is from Texas though which is one incentive for him to play with them, and with technology today he can sign a contract at the last second if he wants to, and that's without having to jet over to the states. And keep in mind like you said, It's a max contract so if Lebron doesn't sign with the Heat which is the only thing that would keep Bosh there, he would be an idiot to pass up the Rockets offer.

brandt
07-11-2014, 12:49 AM
I honestly don't think they expected Parsons to be offered that much money. I think they also underestimated how fond Chandler is of the city of Dallas and how close him and Dirk are. They expected it to be a given that he would just wait for the Rockets.

He is just as fond of Houston though and just as close to Howard if not closer. Don't forget he's the one who helped recruit Howard.

gaughan333
07-11-2014, 01:19 AM
:facepalm: Dude... no he's not. He never was. You honestly think Morey would let Parsons to go free agency if he didn't think this was a possibility? If Morey was fine with losing Chandler, he wouldn't have let him go to free agency at all. He would have just taken the super cheap final year of Parsons' contract and let him walk next offseason. I don't buy that Morey's just going to let him walk for a second.

Also, you bring up all these other players Houston is going to pursue. With what cap space? They can't add Bosh AND replace Parsons with those guys, because they can only re-sign Parsons to go over the cap, not other players. And I'd be willing to bet that Ariza, Marion and "some vets" will get more than that $15 million combined next season.

Plus, in the event that Morey doesn't get Bosh and then backs that up by not re-signing Chandler, he won't then go and blow the remainder of his cap space on veteran fill ins. He'll sign guys to one-year deals and wait until the trade deadline or next offseason to add that third star. But I don't think it will come to that. If Bosh doesn't decide by Sunday or ends up staying in Miami, then I think he'll use the cap space he has available to add a vet or two and re-sign Parsons while he can still keep the core together.

Solid post - I haven't been following this situation closely and you did a good job of breaking it down. (no sarcasm)

Edit: I'm pretty sure you do not need to physically sign a contract, you can appoint someone to do it for you.

Mr.B
07-11-2014, 01:24 AM
He is just as fond of Houston though and just as close to Howard if not closer. Don't forget he's the one who helped recruit Howard.
I have no doubt about that. I'm not say he doesn't like Houston or that he's not really close with any of his teammates, especially Howard. I just think they underestimated how close he is to Dirk and the city of Dallas. Above all that though it was the money. Most people thought he would get maybe $10 mil. I think that deal caught the Rockets brass off guard. I knew the Mavs would have to over pay if they wanted a legit shot at landing Parsons. I've been saying since free agency started that it would take the Mavs about $15mil to sign him.

Mr.B
07-11-2014, 01:27 AM
Solid post - I haven't been following this situation closely and you did a good job of breaking it down. (no sarcasm)

Edit: I'm pretty sure you do not need to physically sign a contract, you can appoint someone to do it for you.
Its funny you say that about the contract because there is actually video of Parsons signing the contract last night.

brandt
07-11-2014, 02:02 AM
I have no doubt about that. I'm not say he doesn't like Houston or that he's not really close with any of his teammates, especially Howard. I just think they underestimated how close he is to Dirk and the city of Dallas. Above all that though it was the money. Most people thought he would get maybe $10 mil. I think that deal caught the Rockets brass off guard. I knew the Mavs would have to over pay if they wanted a legit shot at landing Parsons. I've been saying since free agency started that it would take the Mavs about $15mil to sign him.

Right on!

IndyRealist
07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Parsons was always going to get close to max money. It's the only way to pry him loose from RFA, because if the offer was reasonable Houston would just match. It's not "how much is Parsons worth?" It's "how much is Parsons worth to the Rockets?" It's delusional to think otherwise.

beasted86
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
I think it can go either way. The media has definitely been playing all of these potential moves up hard, and I wish it would just all hurry up and be done with. Not just Bosh but Lebron, etc... Bosh is from Texas though which is one incentive for him to play with them, and with technology today he can sign a contract at the last second if he wants to, and that's without having to jet over to the states. And keep in mind like you said, It's a max contract so if Lebron doesn't sign with the Heat which is the only thing that would keep Bosh there, he would be an idiot to pass up the Rockets offer.

Well it would certainly be a new approach to free agency a player signing a max without meeting with a team. Sounds like the dream life... $88M without a job interview, only faxed your resume in.

But you are speaking as though if LeBron leaves Riley will still not attempt to sign Bosh to a max contract. It's not as if Miami is cash strapped.

astrosmaniac
07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Well it would certainly be a new approach to free agency a player signing a max without meeting with a team. Sounds like the dream life... $88M without a job interview, only faxed your resume in.

But you are speaking as though if LeBron leaves Riley will still not attempt to sign Bosh to a max contract. It's not as if Miami is cash strapped.
Bosh has talked to the front office and his agent has basically ironed out an agreement. If he wants to go, it's set up to move very quickly.

And really? You think that Bosh would pass up $88 mil and a roster fit that would be instant contenders to stay with Wade, McRoberts, and Danny Granger?

amak316
07-11-2014, 12:22 PM
"only one more season until Parsons gets off the books and we can finally not be handcuffed by his absurd contract. Maybe he'll have some value at the deadline as an expiring"
~every mavs fan in 2016

Thumper 88
07-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Lb to Cleveland and here we go.