PDA

View Full Version : Greg Popovich Gets Contract Extension

Clippersfan86
07-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8s
Gregg Popovich has agreed to a contract extension, Spurs say in release. I had been told he was eager to coach another 4-5 years.

Guess he wants to be around for the Kawhi era. Good for the Spurs. He deserves close to 10 mill a year IMO.

torocan
07-09-2014, 04:35 PM
4-5 year extension? There goes the "ride into the sunset" theory...

kdspurman
07-09-2014, 04:45 PM
I knew the theories of him retiring with TD were BS. He has always said he loves coaching and he said those comments in a joking manner. This is what he loves to do.

Jarvo
:dance: I wonder who The Spurs will get or draft next year

chitown85
Great news for the Spurs. He is one of the best in the business and happy for him and the Spurs fanbase.

Clippersfan86
07-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Great news for the Spurs. He is one of the best in the business and happy for him and the Spurs fanbase.

More like THE best. Doc is the highest paid coach in the NBA right now at 7+ mill a year. Pop deserves 9-10 a year based on that IMO.

torocan
07-09-2014, 05:06 PM
More like THE best. Doc is the highest paid coach in the NBA right now at 7+ mill a year. Pop deserves 9-10 a year based on that IMO.

I'm thinking more like $12m-$15m if Kerr and Kidd are worth $5m...

Clippersfan86
07-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking more like $12m-$15m if Kerr and Kidd are worth $5m...

Well he definitely deserves that. I was just trying to go with a more realistic figure for what he may actually get.

FlashBolt
07-09-2014, 05:23 PM
My guess is that Kawhi Leonard inspired him to be his long term coach. Great deal for Spurs. Was there really any thought of him going elsewhere? Lol.

kdspurman
07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
My guess is that Kawhi Leonard inspired him to be his long term coach. Great deal for Spurs. Was there really any thought of him going elsewhere? Lol.

Even prior to Kawhi, he has said he loves coaching and teaching and will do it as long as that feeling is there. Kawhi is next on the list to get that extension.

MrfadeawayJB
07-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Awesome. Now the spurs will continue to make life a living he'll for the west teams even after the big three retire

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2014, 05:41 PM
It will be interesting to see how well his teams do when he doesn't have the big 3 anymore (although he may so have an aging Parker).

NBA_Starter
07-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Congrats, well deserved!

ink
07-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I knew the theories of him retiring with TD were BS. He has always said he loves coaching and he said those comments in a joking manner. This is what he loves to do.

Yeah why would he retire? Great news.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 10:04 PM
:dance: I wonder who The Spurs will get or draft next year
The will make 1 more run at the title with their current team and then will have a ton of money coming off their books when Dwight Howard is a free agent. I could see the Spurs making a run at him to replace a retired Duncan. Howard could actually get his first ring playing under Pop.

Mr.B
07-09-2014, 10:05 PM
It will be interesting to see how well his teams do when he doesn't have the big 3 anymore (although he may so have an aging Parker).
Parker, Leonard, and Dwight Howard the next big 3 in S.A.?

TheNumber37
07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
He has to win one with Leonard without Duncan... that would make him the Goat. To win with 3 different cornerstones.

kdspurman
07-09-2014, 10:31 PM
He has to win one with Leonard without Duncan... that would make him the Goat. To win with 3 different cornerstones.

I don't think he has to. He won his first in 99 and won another 15 years later. That's impressive in it's own right, without a true "superstar" by today's standard this past year. He's proven he has the ability to coach and develop his guys at an elite level now for several years. Regardless, I think most people know regardless of who is on SA, if Pop is coaching, he is going to get the very best out of them on a nightly basis.

He kind of does things his own way that is tough to emulate. In terms of coaching and teaching, he is second to none IMO.

Clippersfan86
07-10-2014, 04:31 AM
No matter what Pop does from here on out, he's arguably the best coach in NBA history. Phil was handed prime Shaq+Kobe and the greatest player in NBA history (which includes a fellow top 50 all time player and a great supporting cast). Pop on the other hand has proven he can get the best out of just about any player and has worked with many different teams and taken them far. I PERSONALLY think Pop is the more skilled coach than PJ.

MonroeFAN
07-10-2014, 09:23 AM

One of the best in the business? He's potentially the greatest coach of all time.