PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mike Miller so beloved?

Chronz
07-09-2014, 02:32 PM
We've all heard by now how much Bron resented the cost cutting move of releasing Mike Miller. If not heres a quick quote about how much his presence was missed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11194706/cleveland-cavaliers-pursue-ray-allen
Yeah, he was just that stable guy, I mean, Mike, everything that he went through, both injuries and being in and out of the lineups, and not one day did he ever come to work with an 'I don't want to be here' attitude. Like never. And we all respected that. And for a guy like that who's done so much in his career, to come in with that mindset every day, we all saw that.

Now Bron is reportedly recruiting the guy again to follow him to Cleveland. When the 2 first hooked up in Miami, Bron called him a "good friend". Hes real close with Udonis Haslem too but they were roommates at the U.

About 10 years ago, another superstar was enamored with the country boy from a small town.

Heres an interview with that superstar:

Not everyone knows how good of friends you are with Mike Miller. Can you speak to your friendship and the trade rumors that surrounded him earlier this year and in the offseason?

TM: We are good friends off the court. I call Mike my little white brother. They trade Mike Miller, Iím retiring. Simple as that. (Laughs)

That man (TM) is none other than Tracy McGrady. He was out celebrating Mike Miller's B-Day when he got word of the trade that sent his best friend to Memphis:
"Mike is my man," McGrady said. "That's like my brother, man. And he's no longer with me. I'm telling you right now: I'm going to be hard on these guys, man. "I swear to God, too, because Mike is my dude, man. I'm going to be hard on these guys."

More to the story:

Orlando Magic Coach Doc Rivers hung up on Tracy McGrady and called back two times. The coach wanted confirmation from his superstar.

"Tracy, you're taking us to the playoffs." Click.
"You're taking us to the playoffs." Click.

On the third call, after McGrady had fretted enough over losing Mike Miller, he picked up the phone, held it from his ear and paused. Then, McGrady spoke before Rivers could.

"I'm taking us to the playoffs." And McGrady hung up.

McGrady stopped feeling sorry for himself late Wednesday night. Miller, his best friend on the team, had been traded to Memphis. That's life. Time to move on.

Tmac wound up playing the best 2nd half of basketball I've ever witnessed, averaging something ridiculous like 33-6-6 on elite efficiency, Rivers joked that he should trade all of his friends if it brings out the best in him.

Weird idea for a thread but these days are slow. Mike Miller is apparently a cool mofo, I just wonder what makes him so awesome.

JNA17
07-09-2014, 02:36 PM
http://wreg.com/2014/06/06/mike-miller-underwear-designer/

He gives players free underwear. He's a bro in my book.

kobe4thewinbang
07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Well, he looks much better than he used to and appears to be back on the healthy side. Plus the dude has those moments where you wish someone didn't leave him open because he's already made 20 three point shots. I think Miller should stay in Memphis though. LBJ probably wishes Miami had kept him since he saved their *** once.

nickdymez
07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
He can shoot. Shut this down

utl768
07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
#1 he is clutch
#2 he lays it all out on the court every night
#3 he plays through a million injuries
#4 he is just a good guy in general

Chronz
07-09-2014, 02:39 PM
lol. 4 real? What a bro

He'll take you out hunting and design your own nut huggers in the same day.

Bruno
07-09-2014, 03:37 PM
just seems like a generally awesome dude. he's also the perfect floor spreader for an elite wing who demands a lot of attention. if someones a good bud but also makes your job easier, it all adds up.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
He's sexy

tr3ymill3r
07-09-2014, 03:52 PM
he's obviously a top 5 player of all time.

D-Leethal
07-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Chronz will jump at any opportunity to bring TMac back into relevant discussion...

Norm
07-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Because he took me to a titty bar once.

Method28
07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Mike Miller saved my puppy from getting hit by an Escalade!

And then cooked my family a wonderful pasta dish while speaking to us about the importance of looking out for one another.

ATX
07-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Miller is a great teammate from what I've read. Moreover he is the consummate role player. He gives it his all, all the time. He is one of the best spot up 3 point shooters in the game, a willing passer, a terrific rebounder, and a hustle player with a high basketball IQ. What's not to like about him? Some of these posts about him are so juvenile...Not every player is an All-Star...

omdigga
07-09-2014, 09:37 PM
great hair.

NBA_Starter
07-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Because he shows up in the playoffs.

J4KOP99
07-09-2014, 09:40 PM
One of the few meth addicts to play professionally. A tremendous feat.

FlashBolt
07-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Dude was a Chandler Parsons in his hey-day. He could have easily made $10 million had he been in his prime today. He's just a really great guy. He never complains, comes to work, humble, and despite his injuries, still battles it out. My favorite moment of his is when he knocked down a much needed three with one of his shoe being MIA. Still knocked down that three. Players love someone who doesn't complain and fights through injuries. I believe James contacted Miller and Allen because of their personality.

MrfadeawayJB
07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
He's a great player and is clutch. Lays it all on the line, great teammate, coach on the floor. I talked to him once and welcomed him back to Memphis and he was real cool off the court too

Yanks All Day
07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
On the court, he can do a little of everything. He can handle the ball, pass efficiently, rebound, defend, etc. He is able to handle an offense for short spurts while LeBron rests. It helps that he's an elite shooter as well, but LeBron has to love playing with a guy who takes the pressure off of him to do everything.

NBA_Starter
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
LeBron likes him, that is why.

TylerSL
07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
The guy just lays it all on the line. In the 2012 NBA Finals his wife had just gave birth to his daughter who was having complications and was fighting to live. He was literally splitting all his time in between preparing/playing in the NBA Finals and spending time in the hospital. His shooting in the 2012 Finals was legendary, especially in the close out Game 5 where he hit 7 3's. He was also playing with a terrible back and literally struggled to run down the court. The dude just brings 150% and shows up in big moments.

It's a ****ing shame we cut him, and I was hoping we would make a run at him again this off season. Mike finally got healthy and had a good year in Memphis and will improve any team he is on.

DaBossLaker04
07-10-2014, 05:21 AM
I could of sworn Mike and udonis went to Florida..... it says they were roommates at "The U".....

PurpleLynch
07-10-2014, 06:45 AM
I heard he's also the body double of Steve-O in the most dangerous scenes.

bstnfn34
07-10-2014, 06:49 AM
#1 he is clutch

I agree, he just lays it all out there plays every play both sides of the court. Can't teach effort and heart and he's got it all around great guy

3ballbomber
07-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Because he invited you to his crib, wich has a court & requests you to plays skins & blouses. & after cooks you pancakes..........

..........no wait that's Prince

Black&Gold247
07-10-2014, 07:44 AM
He's white...

Black&Gold247
07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Sorry, Donald Sterling jacked my phone!

slashsnake
07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
On the court, he can do a little of everything. He can handle the ball, pass efficiently, rebound, defend, etc. He is able to handle an offense for short spurts while LeBron rests. It helps that he's an elite shooter as well, but LeBron has to love playing with a guy who takes the pressure off of him to do everything.

Gotta go with this. Kinda like Diaw (when happy). One of those guys who even as a shell of his former self can do so many different things ok. You don't have to worry about his role for him to be a good role player, he'll pick up what you need. If his shot isn't falling that night, he can still be effective out there.

Chronz
12-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Not to get cocky but sometimes I feel like these professional writers lurk message boards for stories.

Abrams did this story much better justice than I could tho:

http://grantland.com/features/everybody-loves-mike-miller-nba-cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-memphis-grizzlies-orlando-magic-tracy-mcgrady/

sixers247
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
:yawn:

Big Zo
12-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Because he's not from Canada.

Hawkeye15
12-04-2014, 04:56 PM
great hair.

this, 100%

Chronz
12-04-2014, 05:48 PM
:yawn:
to which post? the op or the bump?

TylerSL
12-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I absolutely loved Mike Miller when he was in Miami because of how hard he worked and his passion, and I was upset when Miami cut him. I understood the decision, as it saved over 20 million dollars between the remainder of his contract and the luxury tax but as a fan I was hoping Arison would bite the bullet on him. Miller was also extremely clutch and a great locker room guy, and he was missed after he was cut.

But Mike Miller is not the reason Miami did not 3 peat. He would have helped but he was not going to be the difference from losing The Finals in 5 to possibly winning. Miami cutting Miller just gave Lebron one of several excuses he had in leaving Miami.

JV35
12-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Mike Miller beloved? Says who?

slashsnake
12-05-2014, 05:30 AM
#1 he is clutch

#5 he's a Gator.

I wonder if he'll end up getting into coaching. Kevin Ollie style.

Chrisclover
12-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Because he loves Lebron?

ghettosean
12-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Some how and I think you can all agree with me that Chronz is responsible for this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11983538/mike-miller-cleveland-cavaliers-concussion-miss-friday-game-toronto-raptors

Cavaliers forward Mike Miller has a concussion and will miss Friday's game against the Raptors, the team said.

Miller's status going forward will depend on how he performs in the series of tests he'll undergo as a part of the league's concussion protocol. The Cavaliers will return to New York on Saturday and stay there through the weekend as they face the Nets in Brooklyn on Monday.

One word --> Chronz!

kobe4thewinbang
12-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Point 1: Good shooter.
Point 2: Good attitude.
Point 3: Tough player.

He's like the Shane Battiers, Kenneth Farieds and whatnots of the league that you just want on your team because of his good attitude and contribution.

TO Rapz
12-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Cus he does **** like this. :laugh2:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/10/20/7025135/mike-miller-tried-to-steal-lebron-james-standing-ovation

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
loved him in MIA.

SportsFanatic10
12-09-2014, 12:07 AM
great locker room guy, great teammate, great interviews, the guy is just likable off the court. and his gritty style to go with his elite shooting ability makes him a good fit with any team on the court. i still miss him in miami, one of my favorite players.

Cal827
12-09-2014, 12:12 AM
**** That Good Bastard Mike Miller :mad:

JustinTime
12-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Because he's not from Canada.

No because he's white and not from Canada. Americans love them some home bred white boys.

Tony_Starks
12-09-2014, 09:27 PM
He does not only have one of the coldest jumpers known to man but can also get boards and drop dimes if given adequate playing time.....

michael jordan
12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
how come the cavs don't play mike ever?:oldguy: