PDA

View Full Version : In Recent Years, Who Was Your Teams Biggest Draft Mistake, and Best Pick?

Nikeman
07-09-2014, 02:35 AM
I am bored, and tired of seeing all these dang twitter updates 24/7 on the NBA Free Agency. Just wanted some NBA discussion not free agency.

As a Miami fan, our biggest draft mistake in recent years was 2008:

We drafted Michael Beasley with the #2 pick.

We passed up on Russell Westbrook @ 4, Kevin Love @ 5, Brook Lopez @ 10, and Roy Hibbert @ 18.

Hell, in 2008, Joe Alexandar went 8th, anyone even remember him?

Our best pick in RECENT years,

Probably Norris Cole who was picked 25th in 2011.

Guess Miami has had a pretty poor drafting history if Norris Cole is our best pick lol. Crazy how in 2011, Chandler Parsons went in the 2nd round at 38.

Fun Fact: Kyrie Irving went #1 in that draft to the Cavs, but that pick originally belonged to the Clippers. Chandler Parsons went 38th in the 2011 draft to the Rockets, that pick ALSO belonged to the Los Angeles Clippers

goingfor28
07-09-2014, 02:37 AM
Lol where do I begin with worst picks. I guess the major one that stands out is Michael Olowokandi. Best is of course Blake Griffin.

Nikeman
07-09-2014, 02:38 AM
Lol where do I begin with worst picks. I guess the major one that stands out is Michael Olowokandi. Best is of course Blake Griffin.

Clippers got hosed with trades as well man, LOL. Imagine Parsons on your roster right now haha

goingfor28
07-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Clippers got hosed with trades as well man, LOL. Imagine Parsons on your roster right now haha
Also picked Al farouq aminu over Paul George. And traded baron Davis for a mo Williams rental and a pic which ended up being kyrie Irving. Not mad about that one since we somehow got chris Paul. Still have no idea why stern vetoed his trade to the lakers but I won't complain lol

XpLiCiTT
07-09-2014, 02:56 AM
Recent years the Sixers have actually had a bunch of solid picks. I'll go back to like 09 if thats still recent.

Good picks: MCW (best pick by default), Jrue (traded), Vucevic (traded though)

Draft Mistake: Drafting Evan Turner. It may have been the right pick at the time, but looking bad it was horrible. Other players in that draft include: Paul George, Greg Monroe, Cousins, Bledsoe, Hayward, Avery Bradley

rockets-fan
07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Best: Parsons,Yao( even though injuries killed his career)

Worst: Royce white

I'm doing only this decade and last, no need to go to the 80s and 90s when obviously is Hakeem and such.

lkingratedr
07-09-2014, 03:35 AM
As a knicks fan i don't know what a draft pick is... but if we doing semi recent

Best picks... david lee nate robinson wilson chandler iman shumpert and thjr

Worst picks renaldo balkman and that 7 foot tall jamaican kid... he was terrible

blastmasta26
07-09-2014, 03:52 AM
As a knicks fan i don't know what a draft pick is... but if we doing semi recent

Worst picks renaldo balkman and that 7 foot tall jamaican kid... he was terrible

Jerome Jordan? He was a second rounder so him being terrible was the expectation rather than a surprise. Balkman was bad, but that was a relatively long time ago.

I'd say the worst recent one was 2009: Jordan Hill at 8 (he's turned out decent after a couple years on different teams) and Toney Douglas at 29 (bust, but another late pick so not too bad).

Overall, the Knicks have not been a poor drafting team in recent history, they've just been notoriously bad at keeping their picks.

scissors
07-09-2014, 03:56 AM
^ Same as a Mavs fan. What's a draft pick?

Our most recent pick to get 5 or more win shares in his career? 2003 - Josh Howard.

PurpleLynch
07-09-2014, 07:27 AM
In recent years Lakers picked just garbage. We have to see what Randle can do,but I think he will be better than Ater Majok,Goudelock,Morris and the list goes on to infinity.
I'd say anyway that the biggest draft mistake was picking Javaris Crittenton in the 1st round while there were better players in our range(Fernandez,Dudley,Belinelli,Nick Young)...but I don't blame them too much for that,it's just Crittenton that was a bad pick.
Best pick in recent years?Bynum in 2005 I think,9 years ago. And he turned out to be a douche,but at least he played well in those 2 Lakers championship runs.

Hitman21
07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Kwame Brown
John Wall

FOXHOUND
07-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Best is easy, in 2005 drafting David Lee with the 30th pick. David Lee was the first Knicks player drafted to become an All-Star since Mark Jackson in 1987!

Worst? Gotta be between Channing Frye, at pick 8 in 2005, Jordan Hill, at pick 8 in 2009.

Frye has been a solid player but certainly not a top 10 pick worthy one. Andrew Bynum went two picks later.

Hill, blah. Has had a couple of solid moments but not many. DeRozen went one pick later. What hurts so much about that draft is the Knicks were going to pick Stephen Curry before GS picked him 7th. Ouch.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Worst: Drafting Aldridge in 2006 and trading him to Portland for Tyrus Thomas.

Best: Pretty easy, D-Rose.

ManRam
07-09-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't think we've had a ton of terrible picks. I don't consider misses at 15 and 18, for example to be bad picks. The odds of hitting even in the middle of the first is just so low.

Vazquez probably takes the cake. They did unimpressive things in 1998 and 2000 with 3 top-15 picks each year, as well.

Best, I think the first overall picks have been obvious hits. Courtney Lee was a good pick all things considered. We got a guy at 22 that stepped in right away on a Finals team. Kyle O'Quinn at 49 seems like it will be our best late selection ever.

DR_1
07-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Bulls: Trading LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas is the worst IMO, while Derrick Rose is the best, although Joakim Noah was very good as well considering where we drafted him.

tigers.6
07-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Worst: Darko Milicic

Crackadalic
07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Best David lee 2005
Worst Jordan Hill 2009
Even Worse Trading two draft picks for eddy curry which turn into Noah and Aldridge :sigh:

MonroeFAN
07-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Worst: Drafting Aldridge in 2006 and trading him to Portland for Tyrus Thomas.

Best: Pretty easy, D-Rose.

Shouldn't be that easy of a decision. I would vote for Noah.

lukass
07-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Worst: Darko Milicic

As a Pistons fan obviously Darko is the worst but more recently in 2011 we took Brandon Knight over Kawhi Leonard (who we were seriously considering) Klay Thompson and the Morris twins.

king4day
07-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Recently, I think most Suns fans would agree Kendall Marshall was a huge mistake. He may still become a decent player but he never fit on the team.

Shady66
07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Recently, I think most Suns fans would agree Kendall Marshall was a huge mistake. He may still become a decent player but he never fit on the team.
Agree, also in recent years
Gani lawal
Alando tucker

kingsdelez24
07-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Jerome Jordan? He was a second rounder so him being terrible was the expectation rather than a surprise. Balkman was bad, but that was a relatively long time ago.

I'd say the worst recent one was 2009: Jordan Hill at 8 (he's turned out decent after a couple years on different teams) and Toney Douglas at 29 (bust, but another late pick so not too bad).

Overall, the Knicks have not been a poor drafting team in recent history, they've just been notoriously bad at keeping their picks.

LOL Jerome jordan was drafted and cut by the kings in 98, the 7 foot Jamaican kid he's talking about is Ewing

CELTICS4LYFE
07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Recently(last 5 years) for the C's I'd say came in the same draft back to back picks, Jared Sullinger + Fab Melo.

nastynice
07-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Best is easy, in 2005 drafting David Lee with the 30th pick. David Lee was the first Knicks player drafted to become an All-Star since Mark Jackson in 1987!

for real? Ewing wasn't an all star during the 90's? I don't remember exactly, but I'd a thought he was a perennial all star that decade

scissors
07-09-2014, 04:45 PM
for real? Ewing wasn't an all star during the 90's? I don't remember exactly, but I'd a thought he was a perennial all star that decade

He means last year of a draft. Ewing was drafted in 1985.

JWO35
07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Best: Andre Drummond(9th overall); Seemed risky at the time but if there was a redo he would be a Top 3 pick(Davis & Lillard ahead).

Worst(recently): Brandon Knight(8th overall); Short combo guard. Came from powerhouse Kentucky so it was a matter of time that he catches on...nope. Shooting was probably the only thing we was good at(decent defense too) but he was too inconsistent. Still only 22yrs old, he may no longer be a Piston but he can still shake the early bust label on him