PDA

View Full Version : Better Franchise: Bulls vs Spurs

Purch
07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Chicago Bulls: 48 seasons. (1966-2014)

Franchise regular season win/loss: 2023-1864 (.520%)

Years missing playoffs: 1969, 1976, 1978 , 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008

Playoff Win/loss: 178-148 ( 1.2 %)

Finals apperances : 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998

Nba Championships: 1991,1992,1993, 1996, 1997, 1998

Fact to note: Only team in Nba history to complete a 3 peat twice

San Antonio Spurs: 47 seasons (1967-2014) (First 9 seasons in the ABA)

Franchise regular season win/loss: 2262-1550 (.593%)

Years missing playoffs: 1973, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1997

Playoff win percentage: 219-189 (1.2 %)

Finals appearances: 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2013, 2014

Nba Championships: 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014

Fact to note: Never have missed the playoffs 2 years in a row

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Spurs

trini_knickfan
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Spurs, they have been good for a longer time. Bulls were great in the MJ years but nothing since.

D_Rose1118
07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Bulls way higher peak
San Antonio longer success

Bulls on another level in terms of marketability

In which case it is bulls lakers, then everyone else

torocan
07-08-2014, 12:36 PM
In terms of consistent top to bottom excellence as a franchise? Spurs. Hands down.

Higher peak? MJ's Bulls (so far).

Dark Donnie
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
spurs

MrfadeawayJB
07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Spurs barely.

on a side note, what do the Celtics look like? I know they have a skewed stat on championships because of the amount of teams in the league but still

mightybosstone
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Bulls way higher peak

This x2. So much of basketball legacy arguments with players boil down to peak versus longevity, and the same can be said for franchises. The Spurs have been great for a longer stretch of time, but they were never at any point as good as those six Bulls squads with Jordan, Pippen and Phil. But the Spurs have essentially been a quality, playoff basketball team for four straight decades thanks to three players bridging the gaps between the mid 70s and today: George Gervin, David Robinson and Tim Duncan. The only stretch where they struggled was the late 80s between Gervin and Robinson. Meanwhile, the Bulls were a poor basketball team for most of the 70s and the 2000s (aka any non-Jordan/Pippen/Phil era).

So basically the Spurs are the better overall franchise, but the Bulls have had the best teams.

Eagles4Lyfe
07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Spurs, their recent sustained success came with well built teams and not just one guy continually carrying them year in and year out.

Bulls best years came during the time span of having the greatest player in NBA history on their team. Had some well built teams themselves, but let's be real.

What the Spurs have done has been really great to watch as a general fan of a scrub franchise.

beasted86
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Bulls aren't a good franchise. Not at all.

Their owner stinks. Jordan wants nothing to do with them even after retirement and still hates the guy's guts. That says enough to me. Thibbs also dislikes the owner and if his contract was up this summer he would be gone without hesitation, and I dare a Bulls fan to tell me otherwise.

pacofunk64
07-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I have to agree with Beasted86...if the Bulls had a different owner it would be a different story but he is such a cheap ***. Other than the Jordan era the Bulls have not done squat. We've been good with Thibs but again our owner will find a way to **** that up.

Kaner
07-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Their owner stinks. Jordan wants nothing to do with them even after retirement and still hates the guy's guts. That says enough to me. Thibbs also dislikes the owner and if his contract was up this summer he would be gone without hesitation, and I dare a Bulls fan to tell me otherwise.

Otherwise. Jordan wanted to be a owner and couldn't get that with the Bulls, Thibs has never had a problem even rumored with Reinsdorf it's with Gar and that's a rumor from over a year ago and you have no idea what Thibs wants to do when his contract is up.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Smh

Canterbury
07-08-2014, 01:42 PM

Their owner stinks. An opinion. Why would you even dare people to "tell me otherwise" when it's your opinion? How would anyone even argue that lol?

Jordan wants nothing to do with them even after retirement and still hates the guy's guts. That says enough to me. I suppose someone with ambitions such as Jordan should just ignore them so he can stay with the Bulls.

Thibbs also dislikes the owner and if his contract was up this summer he would be gone without hesitation All these New York "insider" sources on Chicago Bulls affairs seemed to have stopped when they realize Thibs was still under contract.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Jordan earned $30 mill a year with the Bulls. Currently, Rose is on a max contract and hasn't played in 2 seasons. They threw max offers at Lebron, Wade & Bosh and other star FAs in the past..only they decided to go elsewhere. They offered more than fair money to Ben Gordon & Luol Deng..who both probably wish they had taken them now. Just because the Bulls miss out on FAs doesn't mean Reinsdorf is 'cheap'. Get a life other than hating on the Bulls.

beasted86
07-08-2014, 01:52 PM
An opinion. Why would you even dare people to "tell me otherwise" when it's your opinion? How would anyone even argue that lol?

I suppose someone with ambitions such as Jordan should just ignore them so he can stay with the Bulls.

All these New York "insider" sources on Chicago Bulls affairs seemed to have stopped when they realize Thibs was still under contract.

I'm pretty certain every Bulls fans would legitimately be worried, and with good reason, that Thibs would be leaving if he was a free agent this summer. There were vacant positions far more appealing especially considering how the owner handled this season under Thibs.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty certain every Bulls fans would legitimately be worried, and with good reason, that Thibs would be leaving if he was a free agent this summer. There were vacant positions far more appealing especially considering how the owner handled this season under Thibs.

Please elaborate how those vacant positions were 'far more' appealing.

And what did Reinsdorf have to do with how the season went?? The season was a tremendous success considering your franchise player blew out his other knee after 10 games and missed the whole season again. Their issue with Thibs is how he handles his players' minutes, which if you watched every Bulls game like we do, you'd understand. Stop spewing your hatred for the Bulls for no reason. I pray that Lebron leaves Miami so all you fakes can get lost.

bbcmillionaire
07-08-2014, 02:00 PM

Lmao welcome to the nba forum. And people wonder why the nba forum is a joke

beasted86
07-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Please elaborate how those vacant positions were 'far more' appealing.

And what did Reinsdorf have to do with how the season went?? The season was a tremendous success considering your franchise player blew out his other knee after 10 games and missed the whole season again. Their issue with Thibs is how he handles his players' minutes, which if you watched every Bulls game like we do, you'd understand. Stop spewing your hatred for the Bulls for no reason. I pray that Lebron leaves Miami so all you fakes can get lost.

Well, many of them don't have an owner who salary dumps his coach's favorite player to lean on on the roster that plays the most minutes and is the team's leading scorer for starters. Also many of those teams don't have an owner who has been very choosy and reluctant to pay the luxury tax. Finally, most of those teams don't have an owner that after a 3-peat and an option to bring back the team simply says: "Nah".

chitown85
07-08-2014, 02:16 PM

I tell you otherwise!!! There!;)

chitown85
07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
I love how a Miami fan claims to know exactly what is on Thibs mind; like they have some kind of Freaky Friday connection going on...what does Thibs think about global warming? Rare to come in contact with an oracle/omnipotent person such as yourself...

Nikeman
07-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Why would the Lakers and Celtics not be in this? They have 30+ NBA titles combined...

chitown85
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Why would the Lakers and Celtics not be in this? They have 30+ NBA titles combined...

They should be. Btw those 4 as far as legacy IMO. Whether, longevity or peak is considered.

chitownbulls
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Well, many of them don't have an owner who salary dumps his coach's favorite player to lean on on the roster that plays the most minutes and is the team's leading scorer for starters. Also many of those teams don't have an owner who has been very choosy and reluctant to pay the luxury tax. Finally, most of those teams don't have an owner that after a 3-peat and an option to bring back the team simply says: "Nah".

They didn't salary dump Deng.. they knew they weren't going to resign him so that they could go after somebody like Carmelo in the off season. So instead of letting him walk for nothing we got some draft picks out of it. Get your facts straight if you wanna talk **** about another franchise.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-08-2014, 02:22 PM

So you have a player that is an upcoming free agent. You offer that player a pretty fair 3 year extension. Player declines.

So team goes out, trades him for a future 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, the right to swap 1st round picks with that team as well next year, and avoids being a repeat luxury tax offender, which drastically helps what the team can and can't do in FA going forward.

Not your typical Salary Dump. But go ahead and keep acting like you know what you're talking about.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Because it's a thread comparing the Bulls vs. Spurs.

ramsizzle
07-08-2014, 02:24 PM

we had a better record without deng..... :confused:

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
This guy is so delusional it's sad. Btw the thread is about which of the 2 teams mentioned is the better franchise. No one asked for you to spew out your hate.

DR_1
07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Bulls

Purch
07-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Because I made this thread to compare the Bulls and Spurs... Two franchises created within a year of each other, over 40 years ago, that have managed to obtain the 3rd and 4th most titles respectively.

KnicksorBust
07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Bulls way higher peak

Bulls on another level in terms of marketability

In which case it is bulls lakers, then everyone else

/thread

That was quick. :laugh:

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Why would the Lakers and Celtics not be in this? They have 30+ NBA titles combined...because it wouldn't be a debate. Everyone knows the lakers and the best and the celtics are second. Everyone else falls after that.

curtcocaine
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Lol

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Chicago Bulls: 48 seasons. (1966-2014)

Franchise regular season win/loss: 2023-1864 (.520%)

Years missing playoffs: 1969, 1976, 1978 , 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008

Playoff Win/loss: 178-148 ( 1.2 %)

Finals apperances : 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998

Nba Championships: 1991,1992,1993, 1996, 1997, 1998

Fact to note: Only team in Nba history to complete a 3 peat twice

San Antonio Spurs: 47 seasons (1967-2014) (First 9 seasons in the ABA)

Franchise regular season win/loss: 2262-1550 (.593%)

Years missing playoffs: 1973, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1997

Playoff win percentage: 219-189 (1.2 %)

Finals appearances: 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2013, 2014

Nba Championships: 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014

Fact to note: Never have missed the playoffs 2 years in a row

I'm a Bulls fan and this is a ridiculous question. The Spurs hands down and that's with the Bulls having one more championship. The Bulls since Jordan left were pathetic for years and then basically became a .500 team, then a little better then they drafted Rose had a couple real special seasons and due to injury and been a very good team over the last two. San Antonio ever since the Duncan era began has been a model of consistency. Not winning any less than 50 games with the exception of the strike shortened year when they won their first championship. Their FO has been better, scouting, coaching, their draft picks were selected wisely to fit their system and they just win. They could be 6 for 6 themselves if not for Ray Allen. Pop is the best coach in the modern era and that included Phil Jackson. Yes, I said it, I crossed the lines, I'm blasphemous, Pop is a better coach then the great Phil Jackson. Again, I am a Bulls fan being objective here and not a homer. I am thankful for Phil everyday for helping Michael and Scottie get over that hump but the way Pop manages his team is just amazing. R.C. Buford has done an outstanding job with player drafting and free agency. Just a well oiled machine that has not missed the playoffs in their history but for five seasons and in two of those where they had the number one pick they made it count drafting first David Robinson and probably the greatest PF of all-time in Tim Duncan.

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 04:06 PM

He's as good as gone. Either when his contract ends or they let another team take him away for a couple of second round draft picks or something of that nature. They don't appreciate Thibs. He basically fell into their lap from the heavens and stupid Forman who is basically Krause 2.0 is yet another GM treating the head coach like utter garbage and the cheap owner just standing by idle counting his money.

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 04:16 PM
It's hard to compare franchises for what they did ranging from 20-60 years ago. I mean the Celtics dominated the 60's and shared domination of the 80's with the Lakers. Lakers dominated the 50's , early 70's, shared domination of the 80's and early 2000's. Basically the Bulls owned the 90's. They come in stretches but the best franchises have quicker turnarounds and don't mire in mediocrity for ages. Also take into consideration the changing of regimes. Overall success goes Lakers, Celtics and the Spurs & Bulls at 3 a) and 3 b). If Miami has sustained success which is obviously depending on LeBron they could be mentioned in the same conversation one day.

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 04:33 PM

The owner is cheap I agree 100% with you but if they stunk as a franchise how have they ended up winning 45 games two seasons ago and 48 games this season and make the playoffs with their best player playing a grand total of 10 games over that span? Let's just say for the sake of discussion Miami had Wade for ten games last season and they traded Bosh at the deadline with LeBron there for all 82, do they win 48 games and not fall apart at the seams? LeBron was frustrated when he had Wade for 54 and Bosh the whole season, imagine if that weren't the case. The Bulls know how to scout players and usually draft solid contributing pieces but if the owner is soiling himself at the thought of going slightly over the luxury tax there is nothing Pax and Gar can do but roll with the amount of dollars they are allotted to spend per Reinsdorf. So are they an good franchise, yes but a great one right now, no but they surely don't stink. Just wait and see what your team does first if LeBron and Bosh split. Broken down Wade with McRoberts and Granger ain't putting the fear of God into anyone.

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 04:39 PM
God Bless the Knicks fans around the world because for the life of me I don't know how they do it putting up with that futility for this long. The owner is an ego friggin maniac and makes Reinsdorf look cool. Knicks fans, you are the most loyal fanbase in the NBA. I'm a New York Mets fan so I understand what you all are going through. The only difference is the Mets will now go 28 years in between championships where the Knicks are now 41 and counting. The Jets, the Mets and the Knicks lead their fans to alcoholism and depression. All poorly run and give little hope to their fanbase.

Tymathee
07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
obviously Spurs. Bulls were good only while JOrdan was there, other than that, they've been underlings.

IversonIsKrazy
07-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Spurs have only missed playoffs 5 years in almost 50?? HOLY **** !!!! And they've never missed playoffs 2 straight years?? My Gooodnesssss

JordansBulls
07-09-2014, 01:01 AM
As a Bulls fan I will say the Spurs as well even if Chicago has more titles. Bulls really were only good in one era, while the SPurs have been good in 3 decades at least and have had multiple top players in the league.

*Silver&Black*
07-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Best franchise, out of the 2: Spurs.
Best player: Jordan, the face of everything basketball.

Shammyguy3
07-09-2014, 01:44 AM
As a Bulls fan I will say the Spurs as well even if Chicago has more titles. Bulls really were only good in one era, while the SPurs have been good in 3 decades at least and have had multiple top players in the league.

who's been better with Home-Court Advantage though

TylerSL
07-10-2014, 08:11 PM
who's been better with Home-Court Advantage though

:laugh2:

Muttman73
07-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Bulls fan in San Antonio, love my Bulls, Jordan GOAT hands down, but the Spurs are a better franchise.

FTR, Mr. Reinsdorf is not cheap, he is very generous, takes care of his players like family, the average NBA fan doesn't get that. It doesn't make you a good owner just because you spend stupid money.

NBA_Starter
07-10-2014, 10:00 PM
I have to go with the Spurs.

Captain Moroni
07-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Spurs are the model

DaBear
07-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Funny coming from a heat fan. It's going to be enjoyable seeing your empty stadium next year

Animosity
07-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The Bulls have more attention because they are a big market team. Spurs have done it for decades under the radar with one of the best of all time in Duncan. Spurs win the debate only because the Bulls clearly get more attention when they do bad (since Jordan era ended and Rose being injured and pretty much a distraction which is not his fault.). That being said both are great franchises and both Fan bases are lucky to have such a legacy with out having to time share a superstar.

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
So now that Lebron has all but guaranteed the champion will come out if the west once again. That gives Duncan a very good chance at b2b and 6....

Spurs are the better franchise