PDA

View Full Version : Cap Holds

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know what the exact cap holds are on Parsons, Hayward, and Isaiah Thomas?

Also if a team offered a restricted free agent a contract that is higher than their cap hold, does it increase their cap hold?

jerellh528
07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
https://www.google.com

IndyRealist
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
For guys coming off of rookie contracts, it's 200% of what they made the previous year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
OK so the cap hold would remain the same regardless of the contract they were offered by another team?

IndyRealist
07-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Wait, I lied. The qualifying offer is 30% more than they made in year 4, for first round picks. Not sure about the cap hold, but I think it's 200%.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q49

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 10:01 PM
The reason I'm asking is because Houston is rumored to be ready to offer Bosh max money. Obviously they have to trade Lin first. Parsons has a cap hold of $x amount of money. If a team offers Parsons let's say $15 mil, does his cap hold increase to $15 mil? If it does the Rockets would have to relinquish Parsons Bird Rights in order to be able to offer Bosh a max contract. That would immediately make Parsons an unrestricted free agent. That's why I'm wondering if a team offers him a large contract does that increase Parsons cap hold.

Kevj77
07-07-2014, 10:06 PM
No making an offer to Parsons will not increase his cap hold. If he signs an offer sheet Houston has 3 days to match if they do his cap number will reflect his new contract.

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 10:15 PM
No making an offer to Parsons will not increase his cap hold. If he signs an offer sheet Houston has 3 days to match if they do his cap number will reflect his new contract.
So if Bosh takes his time and takes longer than the 72 hrs and the Rockets matched Parsons deal that would take them out of the running for Bosh correct? They wouldn't have the cap space to offer him a max contract.

Bostonjorge
07-07-2014, 10:15 PM
The reason I'm asking is because Houston is rumored to be ready to offer Bosh max money. Obviously they have to trade Lin first. Parsons has a cap hold of $x amount of money. If a team offers Parsons let's say $15 mil, does his cap hold increase to $15 mil? If it does the Rockets would have to relinquish Parsons Bird Rights in order to be able to offer Bosh a max contract. That would immediately make Parsons an unrestricted free agent. That's why I'm wondering if a team offers him a large contract does that increase Parsons cap hold.

Maybe give the rockets there own poison pill. Dallas could sign parsons to a poison pill cotract.

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Maybe give the rockets there own poison pill. Dallas could sign parsons to a poison pill cotract.
I'm not clear on the ins and outs of a poison pill contract. How exactly would that help Dallas sign Parsons?

Kevj77
07-07-2014, 10:41 PM
So if Bosh takes his time and takes longer than the 72 hrs and the Rockets matched Parsons deal that would take them out of the running for Bosh correct? They wouldn't have the cap space to offer him a max contract.Potentially yes. However, I don't know what their salary cap looks like.

Edit: Parsons is also not eligible for a poison pill contract he is restricted, but has been a rocket for 3 years they have full bird right so he can't be offered a poison pill contract that isn't an option.

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Potentially yes. However, I don't know what their salary cap looks like.
Thanks

Htownballa1622
07-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Let me make this easy. Parsons will be a Rocket next year barring something CRAZY :)

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Let me make this easy. Parsons will be a Rocket next year barring something CRAZY :)
We shall see

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Parsons cap hold is a bit complicated. I'll quote the CBA FAQ to make it more clear:

A restricted free agent is included in team salary by the greatest of:

-His free agent amount (as defined in the table above)
-The amount of his qualifying offer (see question number 44)
-The first-year salary in a first refusal exercise notice (a notice given to the player that the team is exercising its right of first refusal by matching an offer sheet (see question number 44)

The table above its referring to is this one: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

According to the table I believe he is a Larry Bird free agent, not coming off a rookie scale contract (only for 1st round picks) and below the average salary so his cap hold is 190% of his previous salary (about $1.8 mil), but that's only if his qualifying offer is not greater. So what is his qualifying offer exactly?

The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position. The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 16) plus $200,000, whichever is greater. However, a player may qualify for a higher or lower qualifying offer based on whether or not he met the "starter criteria" in the previous season, or in the average of the previous two seasons. The starter criteria are based on starting 41 games or playing at least 2,000 minutes in the regular season1.

-If the player was drafted with picks 10-30 and met the starter criteria, his qualifying offer equals the amount of the qualifying offer2 applicable to the ninth pick in the same draft class.

-If a second round pick or undrafted player met the starter criteria following his second or third season in the league, his qualifying offer equals the amount of the qualifying offer applicable to the 21st pick in the first round of the same draft class, if this amount is higher than the qualifying offer he otherwise would have received. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

Parsons has started pretty much all of his games so he easily reaches the stater criteria (41 games started min). That means his qualifying offer is equivalent to the 21st pick in the 2011 draft.

According to the rookie scale contract chart http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm, the qualifying offer for the 21st pick is 44.1% greater than the 4th year salary which is 59.3% greater than the 3rd year salary of $1.19 mil. So $1.19 * 1.593 * 1.441 = $2.73 mil. This value is obvious greater than the free agent amount we calculated previously.

So if my calculations are correct, his cap hold is ~$2.73 mil.

scissors
07-07-2014, 11:16 PM

You can't just offer anybody a poison pill. Its for RFA that a team doesn't have bird rights or cap space for.

Mr.B
07-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Parsons cap hold is a bit complicated. I'll quote the CBA FAQ to make it more clear:

The table above its referring to is this one: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

According to the table I believe he is a Larry Bird free agent, not coming off a rookie scale contract (only for 1st round picks) and below the average salary so his cap hold is 190% of his previous salary (about $1.8 mil), but that's only if his qualifying offer is not greater. So what is his qualifying offer exactly?

Parsons has started pretty much all of his games so he easily reaches the stater criteria (41 games started min). That means his qualifying offer is equivalent to the 21st pick in the 2011 draft.

According to the rookie scale contract chart http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm, the qualifying offer for the 21st pick is 44.1% greater than the 4th year salary which is 59.3% greater than the 3rd year salary of $1.19 mil. So $1.19 * 1.593 * 1.441 = $2.73 mil. This value is obvious greater than the free agent amount we calculated previously.

So if my calculations are correct, his cap hold is ~$2.73 mil.
OK so basically his cap hold is just under $2.8 mil and won't change even if a team offered him let's say $10 to $15 mil a year. The Rockets would still only have 72 hours to match his offer of they lose him. The Rockets likely let him walk if Bosh hasn't made up his mind by then. So if Dallas really does plan to make Parsons an offer it would serve them well to make the offer the second free agents are allowed to sign.

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2014, 11:58 PM
OK so basically his cap hold is just under $2.8 mil and won't change even if a team offered him let's say $10 to $15 mil a year. The Rockets would still only have 72 hours to match his offer of they lose him. The Rockets likely let him walk if Bosh hasn't made up his mind by then. So if Dallas really does plan to make Parsons an offer it would serve them well to make the offer the second free agents are allowed to sign.

True but that's still another 6 days to go. I would be shocked if Bosh hasn't made up his mind by then.

Mr.B
07-08-2014, 12:01 AM
True but that's still another 6 days to go. I would be shocked if Bosh hasn't made up his mind by then.
I thought they could start signing contracts on the 9th?

scissors
07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
I thought they could start signing contracts on the 9th?

I think its 12:01am on the 10th. But what he means is 3 days til they can make the offer, then three more days for the Rockets to match = 6 days. Plus the clock doesn't start ticking until Parsons signs the offer sheet. Word on the street is he has a *wink* *wink* deal with Morey to not sign an offer sheet until the Rockets lock up a big fish.

Mr.B
07-08-2014, 12:28 AM
I think its 12:01am on the 10th. But what he means is 3 days til they can make the offer, then three more days for the Rockets to match = 6 days. Plus the clock doesn't start ticking until Parsons signs the offer sheet. Word on the street is he has a *wink* *wink* deal with Morey to not sign an offer sheet until the Rockets lock up a big fish.
Yea I thought about it after I posted that and realized where 6 days was coming from. Other than the money, I think what Dallas has going for them is that Parsons and Dirk are really good friends and that Dallas has a system this proven can win a title. *wink*wink* deals aren't legally binding so I don't put any stock in that. Even if they did have a deal like that (which is against NBA rules) he can always change his mind if Dirk and Cuban can convince him to come to Dallas.