PDA

View Full Version : Channing Frye Gets 4 Years 32 Million From Orlando

Clippersfan86
07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Per Woj. I thought Diaw's contract was bad.

http://t.co/2neWPEMjl0

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I like Frye but talk about overpaying

CubsBullsBucs
07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Channing Frye and Ben Gordon gonna bring Orlando back to title contention? ;)

Crackadalic
07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
What is the Magic doing? I don't understand these moves

jayjay33
07-07-2014, 06:33 PM
WTF? They would do better just tanking. Lol

ManRam
07-07-2014, 06:34 PM

This is the only one with long-term implications.

They're clearly trying to add shooting and be somewhat respectable next year. They desperately need this shooting, and he can do it. His spacing made all his teammates better last year.

Do I like it tho? I don't really care. He's a good fit. I just think it's one year too early to be throwing 4 year deals around. I don't want to be spending money to improve this offseason, but whatever. We have so much money to spend.

$8M isn't bad. People, again, need to start realizing what $6-8M gets you. If everyone signing these contracts is overpaid in your eyes, well, maybe it's time for reevaluation. The MLE gets you fringe starters, but certain contributors. A little more gets you this. Frye wasn't ever gonna get just the MLE.

LA_Raiders
07-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Lol

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 06:37 PM

They're clearly trying to add shooting and be somewhat respectable next year. They desperately need this shooting, and he can do it. His spacing made all his teammates better last year.

Do I like it tho? I don't really care. He's a good fit. I just think it's one year too early to be throwing 4 year deals around. I don't want to be spending money to improve this offseason, but whatever. We have so much money to spend.

$8M isn't bad. People, again, need to start realizing what $6-8M gets you. If everyone signing these contracts is overpaid in your eyes, well, maybe it's time for reevaluation. The MLE gets you fringe starters, but certain contributors. A little more gets you this. Frye wasn't ever gonna get just the MLE.

You guys are going to have a killer year :D

ManRam
07-07-2014, 06:38 PM
You guys are going to have a killer year :D

I hope not :shrug:

I know you're trying to be a dick, but in all honestly, I want to suck. So once again, joke's on you ;)

yungincome
07-07-2014, 06:40 PM
:laugh2: these players are getting paid.

Crackadalic
07-07-2014, 06:43 PM

I get what your saying but why not give more freedom to guys like Gordon/Nikola/Harri. Suck enough to get a high lottery pick and just go in next off season where the FA class outside of the top players are much better from a starters standpoint IMO.

Anyway I'll be watching more Magic games since I'm a big fan of Payton

IndyRealist
07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Massive overpay. He shot 37% from 3 and doesn't contribute anything else. There are a half dozen undrafted bigs who could do that for 1/10th the money, and there are better bigs out there still unsigned. They aren't good enough to be signing players to fit their system. They need talent and production and then decide how to build around them.

MagicBucsSox
07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
I get what your saying but why not give more freedom to guys like Gordon/Nikola/Harri. Suck enough to get a high lottery pick and just go in next off season where the FA class outside of the top players are much better from a starters standpoint IMO.

Lmao my man I don't think Frye is taking Orlando out of top 5 lottery contention. My first disappointing signing by rob hennigan. Especially for his age. But Orlando is good with team options that never come to light at first

OKC
07-07-2014, 06:54 PM
I honestly feel that in these last 2 weeks the Magic flushed their future down the toilet.
bad move after bad move.
started with them trading AA for less then his value, then drafting Gordon instead of Smart/Exum.
I like Elfrid Payton but him and Oladipo wont work.
then signing Ben Gordon for 9 mil for no reason and now a FOUR year burden of a contract.
Frye is a decent player but what are they doing?

RazzleDazzle
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Frye went to the wrong Florida team. lol

and I'm saying Heat need a lot more of Frye than Orlando does (to get Bosh -like production with out the Bosh-like price tag lol)

ManRam
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Again, I'm not saying I like it. I was all for not making any sort of FA splash this year and being patient.

Maybe at a certain point you have to make some improvement...who knows what the organization is pushing? Frye has a skill that almost no one on the Magic has, so go out and get it and everyone else will benefit.

I mean, peep any of Phoenix's best players' production with Frye on and off the court. His spacing did wonders for his teammates. Having that could really help the youth. You gotta have SOME spacing out there...and making things easier for these young guys is important.

ManRam
07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I honestly feel that in these last 2 weeks the Magic flushed their future down the toilet.
bad move after bad move.
started with them trading AA for less then his value, then drafting Gordon instead of Smart/Exum.
then signing Ben Gordon for 9 mil for no reason and now a FOUR year burden of a contract.

1. Gotta be patient and see how the draft picks pan out. We just don't know the answer to that. Chad Ford liked Exum more than Gordon, but that doesn't mean Exum will be better than Gordon.

2. Ben Gordon has no long term ramifications for this team. He can be let go after this season if needed.

3. Frye I agree with, but I'm not jumping off the cliff because of that.

5ass
07-07-2014, 07:03 PM

You guys have to understand that henny is trying to build a certain environment for his young players to grow in. Neither jameer or afflalo were vocal leaders for us. Hopefully Frye is that. Gordon also gets praised for work ethic
I dont love the signing, but reportedly Miami offered him the MLE, and anyway we don't know full details for that contract.

*Superman*
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
bad move after bad move.

"Future down the toilet" is a bit of an overstatement, no? No one can say how good any of the draft prospects are, they have yet to hit the court. Gordon is only 18 years old and it is yet to be seen what he can become. Why wouldn't Payton and Oladipo work in the backcourt? Gordon and Frye are NOT contracts that will hinder this team at all. As much as I could care less about those two players, Gordon will probably not even be here next season and Frye is only making 8M.

ManRam
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't think Frye isn't worth $8M a year, I just don't like that it's for 4 years...I also don't like that we're spending NOW. I wanted to stink for one more year.

But if you think this doesn't help the Magic, that he's a bad player or that he was a huge over-pay, well, that's silly. Go read Matt Moore's timeline. Or hell, just look at Bledsoe and Dragic's numbers with Frye on and off the court. Or even better, just look at the team's production with him on and off the court.

Bledsoe's #s with and without Frye: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br-jSsYCMAAs29H.jpg:large
Dragic's #s with and without Frye: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br-i0mhCQAAokvR.jpg:large

The suns as a TEAM: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br-iTnxCMAEqRNt.jpg

It speaks for itself...they were SOO much better with him out there.,

Frye was a hugely impacting player for the Suns last year. There's no way around it. And because of how much the Magic lacked shooting and spacing, he'll have the same impact on this team. And that will help the young guys out a lot, which is important. Again, I don't want to improve a lot (and I don't think we will improve a ton), but he will help without a shadow of doubt.

*Superman*
07-07-2014, 07:20 PM
It's also about the same kind of cash Ryan Anderson makes. :shrug:

OKC
07-07-2014, 07:20 PM
"Future down the toilet" is a bit of an overstatement, no? No one can say how good any of the draft prospects are, they have yet to hit the court. Gordon is only 18 years old and it is yet to be seen what he can become. Why wouldn't Payton and Oladipo work in the backcourt? Gordon and Frye are NOT contracts that will hinder this team at all. As much as I could care less about those two players, Gordon will probably not even be here next season and Frye is only making 8M.

8 mil a year can be devastating. for us in OKC were still being held back by Perk's contract, we might have been able to keep Harden if not for that contract.
as for Payton and Oladipo, i really like both of them individually but i dont like the combination.
just not enough shooting. i know Smart and Exum arent shooters either but i just think they make up for it with a better offensive game.
Gordon is young but i just cant see the potential, Randle would have been a much better choice.
it may have been an overstatement but what i mean is that they should have been in a much better position right now.

5ass
07-07-2014, 07:24 PM
8 mil a year can be devastating. for us in OKC were still being held back by Perk's contract, we might have been able to keep Harden if not for that contract.
as for Payton and Oladipo, i really like both of them individually but i dont like the combination.
just not enough shooting. i know Smart and Exum arent shooters either but i just think they make up for it with a better offensive game.
Gordon is young but i just cant see the potential, Randle would have been a much better choice.
it may have been an overstatement but what i mean is that they should have been in a much better position right now.
I remember when people criticized the Dwight trade, jj redick trade, and drafting oladipo. I think(hope) in time these moves turn out well too.
Oladipo and Payton both have years to work on their shot. Gordon is still the youngest player in the league.

OKC
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't think Frye isn't worth $8M a year, I just don't like that it's for 4 years...I also don't like that we're spending NOW. I wanted to stink for one more year.

But if you think this doesn't help the Magic, that he's a bad player or that he was a huge over-pay, well, that's silly. Go read Matt Moore's timeline. Or hell, just look at Bledsoe and Dragic's numbers with Frye on and off the court. Or even better, just look at the team's production with him on and off the court.

Bledsoe's #s with and without Frye: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br-jSsYCMAAs29H.jpg:large
Dragic's #s with and without Frye: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br-i0mhCQAAokvR.jpg:large

The suns as a TEAM: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br-iTnxCMAEqRNt.jpg

It speaks for itself...they were SOO much better with him out there.,

Frye was a hugely impacting player for the Suns last year. There's no way around it. And because of how much the Magic lacked shooting and spacing, he'll have the same impact on this team. And that will help the young guys out a lot, which is important. Again, I don't want to improve a lot (and I don't think we will improve a ton), but he will help without a shadow of doubt.

its not about the player its about the contract and about the need for him.
what are the Magic trying to do? if they are trying to tank (which they should) then why sign a 4 year deal with a 31 year old Frye?
are they trying to win?
it doesnt make sense.
Frye is not a bad player but it doesnt make sense for the magic.

*Superman*
07-07-2014, 07:29 PM

It's devastating when you have a contending team with superstars such as Russ and KD, but for the Magic right now, not so much. Check the roster salary, you'd be surprised to see that 8M is the MAX on our team. A bunch of guys are on rookie contracts.

As with the draft picks, time will tell. You're not the only one that is scratching their head about the pick (Gordon). Many Magic fans were pretty disgusted that we did not take Exum. Not much that can be done now, but wait. The Magic FO has some kind of vision about Gordon that they were so confident that they would take him there the night before the draft.

5ass
07-07-2014, 07:30 PM
what are the Magic trying to do? if they are trying to tank (which they should) then why sign a 4 year deal with a 31 year old Frye?
are they trying to win?
it doesnt make sense.

Because he wants to provide his players with some tools to work with without winning too many games. That WILL help them develop better.

*Superman*
07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
are they trying to win?
it doesnt make sense.

He's not a player who's going to get us significant wins over the season, but he should at least make the guys around him better and that is big for a young team.

All-In
07-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Every team must pay 90% of the cap (roughly 56million estimated) or there is a penalty......the Magic are so far below the cap floor overpaying Frye and Gordon is not a problem....Gordon's contract is bad but is 2 years, Frye isn't worth 8million but Jodie Meeks isn't worth 6.5million.....and to me it feels like they want to make the playoffs this year...and how else is a vet going to go to a rebuilding team unless it overpays.....Frye could've took MLE deal's from contenders, so the Magic had to overpay if they really wanted him.....I'm not saying I agree with their strategy but it feels like they want to make the postseason this year

lukass
07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
I love Frye's ability to stretch the floor at the 4 spot and is an under rated defender. He's a solid get for them. 8mill isn't great but it isn't horrible either.

5ass
07-07-2014, 07:42 PM
I doubt they're aiming for the post season. They just want to instill a winner's mentality in this team, IMO. Hennigan really values character. He drafted oladipo, Payton, Gordon all humble tough players ready to do anything win.

*Superman*
07-07-2014, 07:45 PM
The move is one to improve for the Magic, adding a veteran shooter. The question after the Magic's draft, which included non-shooter point guard Elfrid Payton and non-shooter 3/4 Aaron Gordon, was how they would put the ball in the basket. Now they have a legit stretch four to spread the floor next to Nikola Vucevic, along with versatile scorer Tobias Harris.

The contract is at good value, as well. Frye was targeted by several contenders including the Warriors, Suns and Rockets, as well as the Cavaliers. Frye's $8 million per year deal means that if the experiment in Orlando doesn't work, they can retool fairly quickly, packaging Frye, Ben Gordon's one-year-guaranteed, two-year, $9 million deal along with a pick for an upgrade or take on money if they look to rebuild further through the draft.

And if it works, it could be great. Frye is a phenomenal shooter off the catch, in the 93rd percentile of all pick and pop shooters last season, according to Synergy Sports. With the athleticism of Payton, Oladipo, Gordon and Vucevic around him, along with Harris, the Magic could take a step forward. He's also a positive force in the locker room, something that several league insiders have hinted could be useful in Orlando's young locker room.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24610465/report-channing-frye-agrees-to-four-year-32-million-deal-with-orlando

All-In
07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I doubt they're aiming for the post season. They just want to instill a winner's mentality in this team, IMO. Hennigan really values character. He drafted oladipo, Payton, Gordon all humble tough players ready to do anything win.

In a historically bad conference.....I don't doubt there trying to make the postseason

0nekhmer
07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
How's he get 8/year when you got curry, derozan, all stars making less

yankeefan54
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
this is insane. 32 million for channing fn frye.

Hawkamania
07-07-2014, 07:56 PM
I have to admit, as a Knicks fan I was a supporter of Hennigan as one of those bright GM's that seemed to being doing very well and surprising many on how well some of his trades worked out for Orlando despite heavy criticism, but he has been making some head scratching moves lately.

NYKNYGNYY
07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Does not make any sense for the magic...they are yearssssss away from winning and he's not exactly a young player you bring in with the expectation of him earning 32 million or him being worth that much...not even on a contender he's worth that much

phantasyyy
07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
What the hell are the Orlando magics doing... this has been a terrible offseason for them..

first trading up the draft..2spotsa and losing a future first..
releasing nelson.... and signing bg??!?!?!?!
signing frye..

like what is the organization doing? I know you guys have massive cap space but why not throw an offer at a young prospect and let him grow with your team.. ij ust don't get it lol.

8mill + 4.5mill = 12mill to throw on a solid building block but instead they get a over-the-hill vet in BG and a role player in frye..

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Frye's worth about 6-8 mil. I think its one year too long, but orlando would have never got him without this contract.

5ass
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Frye's worth about 6-8 mil. I think its one year too long, but orlando would have never got him without this contract.

Apparently at least the last year is partially guaranteed.

Dr Positivity
07-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Silly move.

If the Magic want to get better, why cut Afflalo and replace Nelson with Ben Gordon/Willie Green?

If the Magic want veteran leadership, why cut Afflalo and replace Nelson with Ben Gordon?

If the Magic trading Afflalo and likely starting 2 project rookies this year was an acknowledgement they're still willing to wait until the next president to make the playoffs, why spend valuable cap assets on a 30 year old? When you could instead make a move like grab mid 20s Jeremy Lin for giving Houston cap relief, or another deal of the sort where you take salary in return for grabbing draft picks

True Sports Fan
07-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Unless this involves a TO... No idea what Orlando is doing

Duncan = Donkey
07-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Yikes, Im glad Frye is getting paid but thats a big overpay

Bruno
07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
how did he get paid so much more than Hawes? this is a bad contract.

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Theres a Soft Cap in the NBA. Orlando had to spend some money.

if you guys didn't watch any Magic games last season. they went through Looooong stretches struggling to score.

thats why they added Ben Gordon and Channing Frye. who else could Orlango get? lol.

they are slight overpays, but at least the contract are not too long. gordon is on a two year deal and fryes 4th year is partially guaranteed.

5ass
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Silly move.

If the Magic want to get better, why cut Afflalo and replace Nelson with Ben Gordon/Willie Green?

If the Magic want veteran leadership, why cut Afflalo and replace Nelson with Ben Gordon?

If the Magic trading Afflalo and likely starting 2 project rookies this year was an acknowledgement they're still willing to wait until the next president to make the playoffs, why spend valuable cap assets on a 30 year old? When you could instead make a move like grab mid 20s Jeremy Lin for giving Houston cap relief, or another deal of the sort where you take salary in return for grabbing draft picks

They traded afflalo to get back a young player with potential, open up minutes for oladipo, and he was expiring looking for a bigger contract next season. Ben Gordon and Willie green have to provide shooting, how can you expect young players to grow without the proper tools? And they bring professionalism so you're surrounding the young guys with the right attitude.

People always want to call nelson a leader, but he's really not. He's just the oldest guy there loll. Anyway we dont know if nelson wanted to come back. He's probably looking to get a ring.

phantasyyy
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM

if you guys didn't watch any Magic games last season. they went through Looooong stretches struggling to score.

thats why they added Ben Gordon and Channing Frye. who else could Orlango get? lol.

they are slight overpays, but at least the contract are not too long. gordon is on a two year deal and fryes 4th year is partially guaranteed.

still absolutely terrible, one could argue that nelson + afflalo provide more scoring that bg and frye.

5ass
07-07-2014, 08:22 PM

Gordon's second year is unguaranteed or partially guaranteed too.

Giannis94
07-07-2014, 08:46 PM
bad move after bad move.

So much wrong with this post.

PSD's finest right here.

OKC
07-07-2014, 08:48 PM
So much wrong with this post.

PSD's finest right here.

care to elaborate?

Giannis94
07-07-2014, 08:55 PM
care to elaborate?

Nah. You're not worth my time.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
care to elaborate?

In order

1. Saying we threw away our future in 2 weeks is beyond ignorant.

2. How do you know we traded afflalo for less then value? We have heard since that trade that the rumored trades out there for afflalo were just that, rumors. And fournier could be better then we know he didn't get that much time and when he did his stats weren't bad at all, also he is young and fits our rebuild and he is a shooter which is something we needed.

3. Drafting Gordon was a surprise but I didn't want exum and after you got past Wiggins and Parker and embiid the talent level from 4-8 was pretty even. And it was report Payton was there PG target all along so makes sense why they passed on exum/smart. Besides Gordon is 18 and a athletic freak there is no saying how good or bad he could become so for you to say it was a bad pick is ignorant I doubt you know more then NBA gms.

4. Saying Payton and dipo won't work with zero proof is once again ignorant. I doubt you can predict the future.

5. Ben Gordon's deal is 4.5 this year not 9 mill its 2 years and the second year is not guaranteed. And the Frye signing isn't surprising money wise if you look at the other deals happening around the league and the 4th year isn't guaranteed I believe but neither deal hurts us money wise. Next year I believe we will have 16 mill in guaranteed money, that's it! Thats including that frye deal ... not to mention this year with these signing we still are under the cap.

These signing aren't to help us compete they are to help our young core grow and have role models in the locker room ... its been reported that Ben Gordon and Frye are both great leaders by example.

We didn't just keep Nelson because he wanted to compete for a ring and we respected his wishes after all his time with us.

And will people STOP saying we gave up a future first for Payton?

We gave up a 2017 first round protected pick we got from Philly in the Dwight trade. So we gave Philly there pick back and a second pick. The first we gave them back was 1-11 protected in 2017 and q-8 protected in 2018 Philly ain't going to be out of the top 10 by then that's for sure, after 2018 the pick became a 2nd rounder I believe so we basically gave up 2 second Rounders to get the guy our staff consider THERE guy ... so its not as big of a deal as people (ESP Philly fans) make it out to be

THE MTL
07-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Horrible move. What direction is the magic going? I thought they were rebuilding, now they're blowing precious cap room on a glorified Donyel Marshall. And the contract is so long too.

ManRam
07-08-2014, 10:19 AM
$8M is 13% of the 2014-15 cap. Look at it that way. That's nothing colossal, especially for a team that doesn't have cap problems. It could be terrible for a team that does, but we don't.

With Frye, the Magic have under $17M in committed salary for 2015-16. Vucevic and Harris will hit RFA, but we lose Harrington, Nelson and Davis' dead money. In 2016-17 Harkless, Nicholson and Fournier reach RFA. That doesn't seem to be scary. In Frye's last year with the team Dipo will hit RFA. By then, an $8M contract is easily movable and probably will only represent ~10% of the cap.

It's a long salary, but again, it doesn't mean much. We're so far under the cap and will be for years, and really only Vucevic's RFA figures to be super costly. We're still set up to have insane amounts of free money for at least one more offseason...and probably 2-3 more.

Again, $8M sounds like a lot but in today's NBA it just isn't. $6-8M nets you Channing Fryes...nothing more. It's just 13% of the cap. He makes 1/8th of it. I think that's more than OK.

MrfadeawayJB
07-08-2014, 10:26 AM
This market is inflated like crazy. Glad the griz extended ZBO for a mere $10 million dollars, when frye is getting $8 million.

OKC
07-08-2014, 11:36 AM
In order

1. Saying we threw away our future in 2 weeks is beyond ignorant.

2. How do you know we traded afflalo for less then value? We have heard since that trade that the rumored trades out there for afflalo were just that, rumors. And fournier could be better then we know he didn't get that much time and when he did his stats weren't bad at all, also he is young and fits our rebuild and he is a shooter which is something we needed.

3. Drafting Gordon was a surprise but I didn't want exum and after you got past Wiggins and Parker and embiid the talent level from 4-8 was pretty even. And it was report Payton was there PG target all along so makes sense why they passed on exum/smart. Besides Gordon is 18 and a athletic freak there is no saying how good or bad he could become so for you to say it was a bad pick is ignorant I doubt you know more then NBA gms.

4. Saying Payton and dipo won't work with zero proof is once again ignorant. I doubt you can predict the future.

5. Ben Gordon's deal is 4.5 this year not 9 mill its 2 years and the second year is not guaranteed. And the Frye signing isn't surprising money wise if you look at the other deals happening around the league and the 4th year isn't guaranteed I believe but neither deal hurts us money wise. Next year I believe we will have 16 mill in guaranteed money, that's it! Thats including that frye deal ... not to mention this year with these signing we still are under the cap.

These signing aren't to help us compete they are to help our young core grow and have role models in the locker room ... its been reported that Ben Gordon and Frye are both great leaders by example.

We didn't just keep Nelson because he wanted to compete for a ring and we respected his wishes after all his time with us.

And will people STOP saying we gave up a future first for Payton?

We gave up a 2017 first round protected pick we got from Philly in the Dwight trade. So we gave Philly there pick back and a second pick. The first we gave them back was 1-11 protected in 2017 and q-8 protected in 2018 Philly ain't going to be out of the top 10 by then that's for sure, after 2018 the pick became a 2nd rounder I believe so we basically gave up 2 second Rounders to get the guy our staff consider THERE guy ... so its not as big of a deal as people (ESP Philly fans) make it out to be

1) i may have exaugurated with that but i really think in this league for a rebuilding team like orlando its crucial that they make the best out of what they have.
2) youre telling me you guys could not get better value for afflalo?
3)im not saying its a bad pick but i do feel it was a reach at 4. Gordon is a very limited player.
i can not see in what way is he a better prospect then Randle for example.
his offense is very raw, he cant shoot free throws and im not sure his defense will translate well against nba bigs. he's not a bad player by any means but i dont think he can be a franchise cornerstone. the point about gm's is silly, gm's make mistakes and sometimes they draft the wrong guy, as shocking as it sounds.
4) i have some proof, Oladipo shot 32% from three last year and Payton shot like 25%.
i cant predict the future thats correct but i can have opinions and make predictions and i dont think it will work. im sure many magic fans would agree with me that a backourt of Exum/Smart and Oladipo would have been better. it might pan out well, i like Payton, but they dont complete each other very well in my opinison.
5)about Ben Gordon i agree i was not aware that the second year is not guaranteed.
about Frye i dont mind the player and not even the salary but 4 years just seems destructive,
do you really think a 34 year Frye should be making 8 mil a year?
the magic couldnt find a way to reach the cap min without this kind of deal?
if its partially guaranteed them maybe i can get on board with it.

MonroeFAN
07-08-2014, 11:37 AM
What the hell is going on with these contracts? Jesus.

(unquoted from a post above). lol @ the notion that Ben Gordon is a good locker room guy and role model. He's a little pouty girl.

I can see the only people supportive of the Magic's moves this summer are Magic fans. It's going to be a rough couple of years.

ManRam
07-08-2014, 11:47 AM
1) i may have exaugurated with that but i really think in this league for a rebuilding team like orlando its crucial that they make the best out of what they have.
2) youre telling me you guys could not get better value for afflalo?
3)im not saying its a bad pick but i do feel it was a reach at 4. Gordon is a very limited player.
i can not see in what way is he a better prospect then Randle for example.
his offense is very raw, he cant shoot free throws and im not sure his defense will translate well against nba bigs. he's not a bad player by any means but i dont think he can be a franchise cornerstone. the point about gm's is silly, gm's make mistakes and sometimes they draft the wrong guy, as shocking as it sounds.
4) i have some proof, Oladipo shot 32% from three last year and Payton shot like 25%.
i cant predict the future thats correct but i can have opinions and make predictions and i dont think it will work. im sure many magic fans would agree with me that a backourt of Exum/Smart and Oladipo would have been better. it might pan out well, i like Payton, but they dont complete each other very well in my opinison.
5)about Ben Gordon i agree i was not aware that the second year is not guaranteed.
about Frye i dont mind the player and not even the salary but 4 years just seems destructive,
do you really think a 34 year Frye should be making 8 mil a year?
the magic couldnt find a way to reach the cap min without this kind of deal?
if its partially guaranteed them maybe i can get on board with it.

1. They needed someone who can space the court and hit threes. Frye can do that and it will help "make the best of what they have". His presence will make things easier for them, much like it did for Dragic and Bledsoe.

2. Who knows. We heard they turned down Barnes for Afflalo AND a future first. That's horrific value for him. Everything we've heard suggests that the value just wasn't there. Fournier is basically a late first rounder...and that's what the Magic got.

3. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree 100%. But it will play itself out. Who knows how he develops? Not you. Not I. Not anyone. Speaking in absolutes about any draft prospect is just silly.

4. They shot poorly, so that's all the more reason why they needed Frye. And if you're fixated on shooting it's curious that you feel Exum and Smart, two iffy shooters, were such obvious answers.

5. 4 years is a lot, but "destructive"? No way. We're so far under that cap that it won't matter this year nor will it matter next year. Maybe in year 3? But probably not. Oladipo doesn't get to RFA until that last year...by then he'll be a movable contract. It's 13% of the cap...that's what he's making. That's not a lot especially for a team with so much cap flexibility. I don't love the long commitment, but I see plenty of scenarios where it's not "destructive".

Look, I don't love these moves necessarily, but they are certainly not destructive. Just gotta see how it plays out.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Yea my point is these move have no barring on our rebuild lol the contracts are flexible and Ben Gordon and Frye aren't going to help us win and hurt our rebuild.

X2 on what manram brought out about OKC saying Payton is a poor shooter and that exum/smart would have been better when there both poor shooters also ESP smart.

But only time will tell on the Gordon and Payton picks and the trade for fournier. So to label in as it won't work or say Gordon was the wrong pick is silly, too soon to say.

I just remember doing this same stuff when redick was traded for a bunch of nobodies, all other teams fans did this same thing and then Tobias Harris started playing well and bucks fan were pissed they traded him and we got a nice young scorer out of the deal of what looked like nobodies.

Time will tell

OKC
07-08-2014, 12:13 PM
like is said earlier in the thread, i know Exum/ Smart arent shooter as well but i feel that they have a better offensive game then Payton and higher potential as shooters.
Smarts shot isnt bad, its mostly his shot selection being a problem which wont be as bad in the nba when he is not demanded to be "the man".

FriedTofuz
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Magic ****ed up when the drafted Aaron Gordon and then trying to send big money to stretch 4s smh.

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
$8M is 13% of the 2014-15 cap. Look at it that way. That's nothing colossal, especially for a team that doesn't have cap problems. It could be terrible for a team that does, but we don't.

With Frye, the Magic have under $17M in committed salary for 2015-16. Vucevic and Harris will hit RFA, but we lose Harrington, Nelson and Davis' dead money. In 2016-17 Harkless, Nicholson and Fournier reach RFA. That doesn't seem to be scary. In Frye's last year with the team Dipo will hit RFA. By then, an $8M contract is easily movable and probably will only represent ~10% of the cap.

It's a long salary, but again, it doesn't mean much. We're so far under the cap and will be for years, and really only Vucevic's RFA figures to be super costly. We're still set up to have insane amounts of free money for at least one more offseason...and probably 2-3 more.

Again, $8M sounds like a lot but in today's NBA it just isn't. $6-8M nets you Channing Fryes...nothing more. It's just 13% of the cap. He makes 1/8th of it. I think that's more than OK.

No matter how much you try to break it down, justify it, he's still overpaid. It's a HORRIBLE contract no matter now much capspace you guys have!

ManRam
07-08-2014, 12:17 PM
like is said earlier in the thread, i know Exum/ Smart arent shooter as well but i feel that they have a better offensive game then Payton and higher potential as shooters.
Smarts shot isnt bad, its mostly his shot selection being a problem which wont be as bad in the nba when he is not demanded to be "the man".

I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that Payton is a better prospect than Exum/Smart. I mean, the latter were the 5th and 6th picks, and Payton went 10th. Not sure why we're fixated on comparing Payton to those two. And again, only time will tell. No one can be even close to absolutely certain they know how someone will pan out.

Magic ****ed up when the drafted Aaron Gordon and then trying to send big money to stretch 4s smh.

Just curious, is "stretch 4" a derogatory thing or something in your eyes?

ManRam
07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
No matter how much you try to break it down, justify it, he's still overpaid. It's a HORRIBLE contract no matter now much capspace you guys have!

Again, I'm not defending the signing in an effort to suggest it was a great one or anything... but I will defend it against words like "horrible", "destructive" and "stupid".

The guy's on/off numbers last year were insane. Because of it he was hugely important in terms of Pheonix's success. Here's some good reading (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/how-to-train-your-dragic-the-suns-star-talks-about-his-evolution/) on how much he's helped Dragic. Dragic's numbers across the board were drastically better when Frye was on the court with him as opposed to when Frye was on the bench. Back to the on/off or +/- stuff...among all PFs he ranked 6th in WAR and 5th in RPM. His ORPM trailed only Dirk. His offensive value was immense, even if his numbers weren't. Why? Because he established himself as one of the premiere stretch 4s and the spacing he created and his pick-and-pop/roll play was so devestating.

Is he a great individual player? No. Does the spacing he provides and the shooting ability he possesses as a 4 mean a lot to an offense? Yes. Did the Magic desperately need just that? Yes. Will that help everyone around him out? Of course.

OK, let's look at the market then. The same people are saying that every guy being signed is overpaid. Maybe it's time for those people to re-calibrate things. 6-8M doesn't get you what it used to.

Calderon - 4 years/7.25M average
Henderson - 3 years/6M average
Jack - 4 years/6.3M average
Landry - 4 years/6.5M average
Diaw - 3 years/7.3M average
McRoberts -4 years/6M average
Patterson - 3 years/6M average

Frye is as good, if not better, than most those guys. That's what the market is. Maybe it's a million more a year than it should be. If anything the problem is that 4th year. But a million more isn't "DESTROYING" a rebuild and an extra year can be tackled later on if needed.

An overpay? Sure. Slightly. He was getting full MLE offers, so whatever. At the very least he's worth probably 6-7 million a year. We got him for 8. Oh well.

That's it. I don't love it...people people are getting REALLY carried away.

*Superman*
07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
http://upsidemotor.com/2014/07/07/channing-frye-future-magic/

While his individual numbers arenít particularly staggering, itís his effect on the rest of a teamís offense where he provides his value. The Suns averaged 110.4 points per-100-possessions with Frye on the floor, compared to only 102.5 points per-100 possessions with Frye on the bench, per NBA.com.

Particularly, his presence helped the development of guard Goran Dragic and pseudo-combo forward Markieff Morris. With Frye on the court, Dragicís shooting percentage rose from 47% to 52.1%, his three-point shooting skyrocketed from 29.1% to 46.7%, and his assist rate rose from 20.4% to 24.1%. Morrisís numbers also skyrocketed across the board with Frye on the floor. His true-shooting percentage went from 55.3% to 58.3%, and Fryeís presence gave him more space to operate in his preferred 15-19 foot area ó the area of the floor where he took the most of his shots outside of at the rim ó where Morrisís shooting percentage rose from 43.5% with Frye off the floor to 51.9% with him on it.

That sort of development is what the Magic will be hoping for by signing Frye. Prior to signing Frye, the Magic were going to be a team starved for spacing. Itís hard to develop prospects such as Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton offensively whenever teams simply would have been able to pack the paint against them. With Frye in tow, that will bring one of the opposing teamís big men out of the paint, where they will be forced to stay close to the hyper-efficient catch-and-shoot weapon Frye. Especially for a player like Payton who struggles to shoot the ball at this point in his development, having those extra bits of space will allow him more space to get into the lane, and more open driving lanes to attack the defense.

Dragic on playing with Frye.

How much easier is your life when you can run a pick-and-roll with Channing Frye ó a screener who can kill teams with outside shots?

Oh, man, a lot easier. Itís a huge difference from this year to last year, when Channing was out. Everybody was so much inside the paint, that you could not create. You could not get to the inside. And right now, itís so much easier. Theyíre so afraid heís going to knock down shots.

Defenders just have to stick to him, instead of helping against you as you go around the pick.

They have to be close to him. And thatís one man less in the paint. Itís so much easier.

Thereís one kind of drive you get ó when your defender gets between you and Channingís pick, like he wants to send you away from the pick, but Channingís defender is sticking right to Channing. You can just drive into open space away from the pick, right?

http://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/dragic2.png?w=694

Exactly. My guy is already on the side of me, and itís just much easier to penetrate. And if they help, of course, Iím going to find Channing.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-goran-dragic-on-being-fearless-playing-his-game-and-words-with-friends/

Nycbball08
07-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Didn't those idiots gave Rashard Lewid like 100mil? I guess they gotta overpay to get anyone to go there.

*Superman*
07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
What the hell is going on with these contracts? Jesus.

(unquoted from a post above). lol @ the notion that Ben Gordon is a good locker room guy and role model. He's a little pouty girl.

I can see the only people supportive of the Magic's moves this summer are Magic fans. It's going to be a rough couple of years.

I think it's because most of us are trying to actually understand what this signing means besides the initial reaction of, "WTF, Frye got 4/32?". Not many fans of other teams are willing to put that effort in for a team they don't really care for.

I think there's some in the Magic forum that aren't coming around to it. So it's not exactly like every single one of us is on board with it. The major part is many of us feel the 4th year shouldn't have been guaranteed or something, but as I know of now, the full details are not out. Who knows if the the contract is front-loaded? A few people have said their are partial guarantees in the contract, but again, I'm not sure.

*Superman*
07-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Didn't those idiots gave Rashard Lewid like 100mil? I guess they gotta overpay to get anyone to go there.

Lol at a Knicks fan complaining about a contract.

5ass
07-08-2014, 02:02 PM

Give me Gordon and Payton over Exum and saric. He wanted a PF and a pg. He chose two players with great potential, went with the PF that Boston wanted (and you know the Celtics know their drafts). In any case I'll let this play out before I say it was a great move, but you should do the same before criticizing.
And like I said, Payton and oladipo have years to work on their shot.

bleedprple&gold
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM

And they also ****ed up by giving up a first round pick to move up two spots in the draft to get Payton. That was just plain dumb. If they were that desperate for a PG they should have picked Exum or Smart instead of Gordon. Gordon was a stretch picking at 4 anyway. I think they thought Payton was gonna be there at 12 and when he wasn't they panicked. The Sixers knew the Magic wanted Payton and had no intention of keeping him. Magic botched that whole draft and got totally played.

5ass
07-08-2014, 02:27 PM
And they also ****ed up by giving up a first round pick to move up two spots in the draft to get Payton. That was just plain dumb. If they were that desperate for a PG they should have picked Exum or Smart instead of Gordon. Gordon was a stretch picking at 4 anyway. I think they thought Payton was gonna be there at 12 and when he wasn't they panicked. The Sixers knew the Magic wanted Payton and had no intention of keeping him. Magic botched that whole draft and got totally played.
Again you can't really say **** until you see what we got in Payton. If Philly's GM drafted Payton when he had MCW just so he can trade him, you know he's a great prospect.

beasted86
07-08-2014, 02:28 PM
The Magic are in for the long haul rebuild and are probably 2 more years out before they can think about the playoffs. The only reason this contract makes no sense is because of his age. I see him getting much worse defensively and rebounding in just 1 year into this deal, and he wasn't that good in either category to start.

ManRam
07-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Again, I'm only here to clear up potential misinformation, not to defend anything really...

That draft pick we sent to Philly is just Philly's own pick that they sent to us when they got fleeced in that Howard trade. More importantly, it was a "conditional pick". That is, this pick never was going to be a top pick. It was top-11 protected in 2017. It was top-8 protected in 2018. If the Sixers still hadn't conveyed that pick by 2018 then it just becomes a second round pick.

They went out and got their guy. So be it. If he pans out, all this talk will look silly.

The Magic could in the end have essentially just given up two second round picks and Saric for Payton. If that's ultimately the case, well...that's not a "**** up". Hell, what if Saric never comes over and Payton turns into a stud. There is so much undetermined at this point to be speaking in such absolutes. I'm beating a dead horse with that....but it's the truth. Once again, only time will tell whether that was a good or bad trade.

5ass
07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Just remember that people criticized the Dwight trade, jj trade, and drafting oladipo. We turned out winners in all 3.

ManRam
07-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Uh...I'm pretty sure that he was a huge reason why the Magic got to the Finals in 2009...and were one of the 3 most winningest teams over a 4 year stretch. He was worth the money we paid him in 08, 09 and 10.

GREATNESS ONE
07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
:laugh2:

DWNTWNLakeShow
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Why overpay for Frye when u just drafted Gordon?

bleedprple&gold
07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Again you can't really say **** until you see what we got in Payton. If Philly's GM drafted Payton when he had MCW just so he can trade him, you know he's a great prospect.

He's a good prospect but Philly drafted him to trade, not to keep.

bleedprple&gold
07-08-2014, 03:17 PM

Again, I'm only here to clear up potential misinformation, not to defend anything really...

That draft pick we sent to Philly is just Philly's own pick that they sent to us when they got fleeced in that Howard trade. More importantly, it was a "conditional pick". That is, this pick never was going to be a top pick. It was top-11 protected in 2017. It was top-8 protected in 2018. If the Sixers still hadn't conveyed that pick by 2018 then it just becomes a second round pick.

They went out and got their guy. So be it. If he pans out, all this talk will look silly.

The Magic could in the end have essentially just given up two second round picks and Saric for Payton. If that's ultimately the case, well...that's not a "**** up". Hell, what if Saric never comes over and Payton turns into a stud. There is so much undetermined at this point to be speaking in such absolutes. I'm beating a dead horse with that....but it's the truth. Once again, only time will tell whether that was a good or bad trade.

Conditional pick or not, extra pick or not, giving up a first rounder to move up two spots in the draft is not something you should have to do. Magic weren't prepared for what happened and got blindsided. But I think the fact that it was Phillys pick anyway made it easier to give up (probably a little too easy).

5ass
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
He's a good prospect but Philly drafted him to trade, not to keep.

Yeah but if it the magic refused, they would've had to keep him. Just taking that chance speaks volumes to his value. At 10, Payton was clearly the best prospect left.

5ass
07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
You guys will see we're going to win it ALL this year...

In the summer league tournament

MrfadeawayJB
07-08-2014, 03:31 PM
You guys will see we're going to win it ALL this year...

In the summer league tournament

Yup y'all are killing the grizz. The bad news is the magic have potentially 3 starters playing in the summer league

ManRam
07-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Conditional pick or not, extra pick or not, giving up a first rounder to move up two spots in the draft is not something you should have to do. Magic weren't prepared for what happened and got blindsided. But I think the fact that it was Phillys pick anyway made it easier to give up (probably a little too easy).

If he's your guy, go and get him :shrug:

Payton's play, as well as Saric's, will dictate whether or not it was a good trade. Therefore, it's TBD.

KnicksorBust
07-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Why overpay for Frye when u just drafted Gordon?

I agree. If I think a player is a top 5 pick then I am not paying $32 million long term for a guy to start over him. And if you say Frye is a good backup then I would not pay $32 million long term for a backup.

5ass
07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
I agree. If I think a player is a top 5 pick then I am not paying $32 million long term for a guy to start over him. And if you say Frye is a good backup then I would not pay $32 million long term for a backup.

Gordon is 18, he's the youngest player in the league I think. Maybe the Brazilian guy the raptors drafted is a few months younger, but he's a project. He has some skills, great athleticism and motor, and a very strong work ethic.

KnicksorBust
07-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Gordon is 18, he's the youngest player in the league I think. Maybe the Brazilian guy the raptors drafted is a few months younger, but he's a project. He has some skills, great athleticism and motor, and a very strong work ethic.

How does this justify paying Frye $32 million? Play Tobias Harris, Kyle O'Quinn, or Andrew Nicholson. The difference between what they would give you at PF and what Frye would give you is not nearly worth the cost...Especially when there is a possibility that your TOP 5 DRAFT PICK might be ready for rotation minutes right away.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Henny isnt giving the job to Gordon just like he didn't give the starting job to Dipo. they have to earn it and dipo was picked 2nd overall...

and people are so ignorant with the whole first round pick we gave up in the Payton trade... it wasnt our 2017 pick it was Phillies originally and it was protected in 2017 and 2018 so we were most likely going to get it in 2019 as a 2nd rounder. How many times does it need to be explained lol

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Why Are Rebuilding Orlando Magic Signing Vets Long-Term? | Bleacher Report
http://teamstre.am/U1reHC

Why Are Rebuilding Orlando Magic Signing Vets Long-Term? | Bleacher Report

via ble.ac/teamstream-

Read this for a better understanding

FlashBolt
07-08-2014, 06:26 PM
This makes McRoberts a pretty decent signing. I was suggesting Miami go after Frye but if he was worth $8 million per, clearly not worth it. I don't get how he even sniffs $8 million. Some players are just getting overpaid and it's quite frustrating as an NBA fan that this has become the situation for players come free agency. I'd prefer they chase titles than chasing money. Doesn't feel as competitive when a crappy player is able to make some absurd amount of money.

sixer04fan
07-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah but if it the magic refused, they would've had to keep him. Just taking that chance speaks volumes to his value. At 10, Payton was clearly the best prospect left.

Sorry but I have to chime in here because this is false. The Sixers wouldn't have drafted Payton if the Magic had refused the offer. The Sixers would have drafted Saric at 10. The trade was agreed to before they made the pick, while they were on the clock at 10, and the Sixers drafted Payton for the Magic.

Don't get me wrong. I like Payton. I think he can be like a Rondo or MCW type player. And it goes to show how much Orlando wanted him, how much they liked him. But the basis of your statement is incorrect. The Sixers didn't draft Payton with the hopes of trading him to the highest bidder or anything like that. And it's very likely that Payton would have been available at 12 anyways.

ramsizzle
07-08-2014, 06:48 PM
This makes McRoberts a pretty decent signing. I was suggesting Miami go after Frye but if he was worth $8 million per, clearly not worth it. I don't get how he even sniffs $8 million. Some players are just getting overpaid and it's quite frustrating as an NBA fan that this has become the situation for players come free agency. I'd prefer they chase titles than chasing money. Doesn't feel as competitive when a crappy player is able to make some absurd amount of money.

These signings are with the next cba in mind in 3 years ... they're a sign that the owners are making a crap ton of money and are willing to spend it. Either way the NBA revenue is crazy so the owners might as well spend it on players. when caps raise and so do max contracts these complaints will cease to exist. Plus Orlando had to reach the floor. you aren't going to pay your youth laden team all that extra money to reach the floor, might as well give it to a productive player.

5ass
07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Sorry but I have to chime in here because this is false. The Sixers wouldn't have drafted Payton if the Magic had refused the offer. The Sixers would have drafted Saric at 10. The trade was agreed to before they made the pick, while they were on the clock at 10, and the Sixers drafted Payton for the Magic.

Don't get me wrong. I like Payton. I think he can be like a Rondo or MCW type player. And it goes to show how much Orlando wanted him, how much they liked him. But the basis of your statement is incorrect. The Sixers didn't draft Payton with the hopes of trading him to the highest bidder or anything like that. And it's very likely that Payton would have been available at 12 anyways.

Are you sure? Do you have a link for them agreeing beforehand?

sixer04fan
07-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Are you sure? Do you have a link for them agreeing beforehand?

Yes I'm sure, because almost every draft night trade in NBA history, if not all draft night trades, happen like that. No one ever picks a player they don't want with the hopes that they can trade him. Trades are always agreed to prior to the picks depending on who's available, and then just announced a little later.

And our GM said exactly that after the draft. He said we were going to take Saric, but we then called the Magic and made the deal. I'm sure the Magic would have no shame in confirming it either because that's how trades work.

I'm on my phone right now but I can fish for links later if you really don't believe it.

RLundi
07-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Oh stop preaching. For a lot of non-elite players, they only get one chance at a large payday. Hell, most common people would take a better-paying job even if it meant a few sacrifices. Why should NBA players be held to a different standard?

He got paid. Good for him.

5ass
07-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Yes I'm sure, because almost every draft night trade in NBA history, if not all draft night trades, happen like that. No one ever picks a player they don't want with the hopes that they can trade him. Trades are always agreed to prior to the picks depending on who's available, and then just announced a little later.

And our GM said exactly that after the draft. He said we were going to take Saric, but we then called the Magic and made the deal. I'm sure the Magic would have no shame in confirming it either because that's how trades work.

I'm on my phone right now but I can fish for links later if you really don't believe it.
No need. If you're saying your GM said that, okay. i just thought you were assuming.
Anyway that wasnt the main point i was making, i'm just simply saying we have to wait it out before we assess how good/bad the trade was. People already saying they made a horrible mistake are being ignorant.

JNA17
07-08-2014, 07:10 PM
You guys laugh at the Pistons for giving Jodie Meeks for 3 years, 6 mill per, who is also going to start for them since Stuckey sucks. Yet here we see at best, a very mediocre player in with 31 year old Frye getting 4 years, 8 mill per. Especially from a team that has no business giving those kind of contracts to mediocre players in the first place.

This IMO is BY FAR the worst signing in the FA this year. Not only way overpaid, but makes zero sense for the Magic since they drafted Aaron Gordon and should start next to Nikola as the future front court.

*Superman*
07-08-2014, 07:10 PM

He is right. Philly didn't take Payton at all with any intention of keeping him, it was to trade him all along with incentives. Worked good for the Sixers, they got one of their 1st back from the Dwight trade and a 2nd from the Magic.

MagicBucsSox
07-08-2014, 07:13 PM
He is right. Philly didn't take Payton at all with any intention of keeping him, it was to trade him all along with incentives. Worked good for the Sixers, they got one of their 1st back from the Dwight trade and a 2nd from the Magic.

Dude the pick they got is top 11 protected. And who cares about a 2nd rd pick . This ain't the nfl

5ass
07-08-2014, 07:17 PM

that's not what we're discussing here. We're talking about whether the Magic and Sixers agreed to a swap beforehand. Obviously the sixers wouldnt want to run with payton and MCW.

sixer04fan
07-08-2014, 07:19 PM
No need. If you're saying your GM said that, okay. i just thought you were assuming.
Anyway that wasnt the main point i was making, i'm just simply saying we have to wait it out before we assess how good/bad the trade was. People already saying they made a horrible mistake are being ignorant.

Yeah. Again I like Payton and he was in the top 10 conversation for a reason, he's gonna be good. The Magic got the player they wanted so there are no regrets about the trade on their end.

I like your young players a lot. Payton, Oladipo, Gordon and Vucevic is a legit core. I personally thought they should have picked Exum at 4, but maybe they weren't sold on him as a true PG and Gordon was a fine pick there. And they got a good PG later anyways.

The release of Jameer and the BG signing are inconsequential for the long term. Don't know why people are so up in arms about those moves. I def would cringe at this Channing Frye move tho if I were a Magic fan. I'd rather them save as much long term cap space as possible while keeping the young core intact. IMO you gotta put star players in place first, paying whatever it takes to get them, before you can be giving out $30M+ to role players. But it's not a disastrous move or anything like that, and it makes sense from an X's and O's standpoint too.

*Superman*
07-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Dude the pick they got is top 11 protected. And who cares about a 2nd rd pick . This ain't the nfl

Well it was top 11 for us, not them because it's their own pick. I'm just stating that they had the upper hand over us because they knew we wanted Payton. And you never know with a 2nd. From time to time there are some steals in the draft. Hell, even Marble at 56 is playing decent for us in SL. But yes, a majority will be out of the league within a year or two.

5ass
07-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah. Again I like Payton and he was in the top 10 conversation for a reason, he's gonna be good. The Magic got the player they wanted so there are no regrets about the trade on their end.

I like your young players a lot. Payton, Oladipo, Gordon and Vucevic is a legit core. I personally thought they should have picked Exum at 4, but maybe they weren't sold on him as a true PG and Gordon was a fine pick there. And they got a good PG later anyways.

The release of Jameer and the BG signing are inconsequential for the long term. Don't know why people are so up in arms about those moves. I def would cringe at this Channing Frye move tho if I were a Magic fan. I'd rather them save as much long term cap space as possible while keeping the young core intact. IMO you gotta put star players in place first, paying whatever it takes to get them, before you can be giving out $30M+ to role players. But it's not a disastrous move or anything like that, and it makes sense from an X's and O's standpoint too.

100%.

*Superman*
07-08-2014, 07:28 PM

that's not what we're discussing here. We're talking about whether the Magic and Sixers agreed to a swap beforehand. Obviously the sixers wouldnt want to run with payton and MCW.

And the answer is still yes. It was the Magic's pick from all along. Philly would not take him if there was no trade.

And you never know, MCW looked pretty happy to have Payton be his new running mate ;)

MagicBucsSox
07-08-2014, 07:29 PM
You guys laugh at the Pistons for giving Jodie Meeks for 3 years, 6 mill per, who is also going to start for them since Stuckey sucks. Yet here we see at best, a very mediocre player in with 31 year old Frye getting 4 years, 8 mill per. Especially from a team that has no business giving those kind of contracts to mediocre players in the first place.

This IMO is BY FAR the worst signing in the FA this year. Not only way overpaid, but makes zero sense for the Magic since they drafted Aaron Gordon and should start next to Nikola as the future front court.

I know right? Those idiots in Orlando signing Frye and Gordon to create floor space for their youngs slashing talent. They're so dumb. Just like when those idiots traded redick to Milwaukee for nothing(Tobias Harris) and passed on Ben McLemore another dumb thing, and BY FAR the worst thing they did was pass on Bynum and Lopez for that double double machine scrub Nikola Vucevic .

They're so dumb

5ass
07-08-2014, 07:34 PM
And the answer is still yes. It was the Magic's pick from all along. Philly would not take him if there was no trade.

And you never know, MCW looked pretty happy to have Payton be his new running mate ;)
yeah i'm honestly fine with that too. That pick could easily turn out 15th or worse, and thats more likely to net a role player. we have enough role players.

5ass
07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I know right? Those idiots in Orlando signing Frye and Gordon to create floor space for their youngs slashing talent. They're so dumb. Just like when those idiots traded redick to Milwaukee for nothing(Tobias Harris) and passed on Ben McLemore another dumb thing, and BY FAR the worst thing they did was pass on Bynum and Lopez for that double double machine scrub Nikola Vucevic .

They're so dumb

if he had just read a couple of posts it wouldnt make "zero sense" to him

JNA17
07-08-2014, 07:45 PM

They're so dumb

I know you're a Magic fan and you're pretty much gonna defend every action your favorite team takes but this was a REALLY bad signing.

And floor space? The guy shot 41% FG last season. He's been either dreadful or inconsistent as an outside shooting bigman his entire career.

Your team wasted a huge chunk of whatever cap space they had for a 31 year old mediocre role player who is probably not even gonna start. You realized you could have signed someone like Isaiah Thomas for that kind of money? Or Lance Stepheson? Or how about Greg Monroe if the Pistons decide not to match?

But no, it's for freaking Frye, who sucks overall and best case, mediocre. Dumb signing.

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 07:45 PM
These teams are just plain stupid. Jodie F-ing Meeks for 8 per and now Channing F-ing Frye for 8 million per. What the **** are these owners thinking offering these type of contracts. Jeremy Lin, Omir Asik now these two this offseason......what's next A'mare signs an extension with the Knicks for 64 million over 4 years?

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2014, 07:49 PM
These teams are just plain stupid. Jodie F-ing Meeks for 8 per and now Channing F-ing Frye for 8 million per. What the **** are these owners thinking offering these type of contracts. Jeremy Lin, Omir Asik now these two this offseason......what's next A'mare signs an extension with the Knicks for 64 million over 4 years?

Lol

5ass
07-08-2014, 07:52 PM
I know you're a Magic fan and you're pretty much gonna defend every action your favorite team takes but this was a REALLY bad signing.

And floor space? The guy shot 41% FG last season. He's been either dreadful or inconsistent as an outside shooting bigman his entire career.

Your team wasted a huge chunk of whatever cap space they had for a 31 year old mediocre role player who is probably not even gonna start. You realized you could have signed someone like Isaiah Thomas for that kind of money? Or Lance Stepheson? Or how about Greg Monroe if the Pistons decide not to match?

But no, it's for freaking Frye, who sucks overall and best case, mediocre. Dumb signing.

What?? 39% 3pt shooting on 5 attempts per game in the last 4 seasons he played is dreadful or inconsistent to you?
You're obviously ignorant about his game, to say he sucks overall.

JNA17
07-08-2014, 07:53 PM
These teams are just plain stupid. Jodie F-ing Meeks for 8 perand now Channing F-ing Frye for 8 million per. What the **** are these owners thinking offering these type of contracts. Jeremy Lin, Omir Asik now these two this offseason......what's next A'mare signs an extension with the Knicks for 64 million over 4 years?

Meeks is 3 years and 6 mill per. And at least he's coming off of a very solid year unlike Frye who just sucks and is getting 8 mill per for one year longer.

But yeah there will be another Lockout, and it will probably be in 2016 which is I think the year this CBA expires, although I could be wrong.

JNA17
07-08-2014, 08:00 PM
What?? 39% 3pt shooting on 5 attempts per game in the last 4 seasons he played is dreadful to you?

39%? Where are you getting your numbers? Last season he shot 37%. The season before, 34%. Anything else before that is irrelevant since that's not even close to the player Frye is now, as well as the fact Steve Nash was on that Suns team where he made every player look good. Case in point, when Frye overachieved with 43% in 2010 and 39% in 2011.

But you don't have a Steve Nash type of player now do you? Like most players, without a guy like Nash, Frye has sucked it up big time. Take away his two best years (2010 and 2011) when Nash was there to inflate his stats and suddenly his shooting doesn't look so hot anymore.

5ass
07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
We did overpay, but really only by 2-3 mill, and the salary floor was the main reason. I'm kind of pissed its 4 years, but again we dont have full details about the contract. Its probably nothing that's going to cripple us, a lot of you are really exaggerating.

MagicBucsSox
07-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Isiah Thomas and lance were gonna play where on Orlando? Greg Monroe is a RFA and still a possibility so let's stop acting like Orlando went over the cap when in reality WE ARE 7MIL UNDER THE CAP STILL AFTER GORDON AND FRYE!!!!, I'm not a fan of the signing at all. But Gordon has a team option next yr and Frye .....well hell it's 8mil. Next year we're on the books for 17mil for the whole team.

It's not about being an Orlando fan. I'm a fan of the game 1st

JNA17
07-08-2014, 08:04 PM
We did overpay, but really only by 2-3 mill, and the salary floor was the main reason. I'm kind of pissed its 4 years, but again we dont have full details about the contract. Its probably nothing that's going to cripple us, a lot of you are really exaggerating.

I don't think it will cripple you THAT much either because at least he Magic don't have any other big contracts as far as I know.

But it was still a terrible signing for a bad to mediocre player.

That and he's 31 years old. It's not like he's a young up and comer coming off one low season like Irving or something. He's a guy that you pretty much know what you're going to get who has maybe...two years left of NBA material? (Unless he went to the Spurs, then suddenly he turns into Dirk XD)

5ass
07-08-2014, 08:14 PM
39%? Where are you getting your numbers? Last season he shot 37%. The season before, 34%. Anything else before that is irrelevant since that's not even close to the player Frye is now, as well as the fact Steve Nash was on that Suns team where he made every player look good. Case in point, when Frye overachieved with 43% in 2010 and 39% in 2011.

But you don't have a Steve Nash type of player now do you? Like most players, without a guy like Nash, Frye has sucked it up big time. Take away his two best years (2010 and 2011) when Nash was there to inflate his stats and suddenly his shooting doesn't look so hot anymore.

he actually shot 39% in the last four seasons he played, not sure why you're ignoring the 43 and 39%. Did he struggle after that with the 34%? yes, a lot of good shooters shoot close to average at some point, but he was also getting used to playing with a new backcourt. The 37% came after missing a season,and he shot a damn good percentage.

As for Nash lol, i know he's a great passer and all, but lets not act like he's the only guy that can get him open looks. we have a lot of drive and kick and pnp players.

YoungOne
07-08-2014, 08:35 PM
bradleys contract looks better with every other free agent signing :)

this contract crys for another lockout

NBA_Starter
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
He is definitely worth it if he is healthy.

YoungOne
07-08-2014, 09:10 PM
He is definitely worth it if he is healthy.

how is a big man who is 31 and can do not much more than shoot threes worth 8 mil a year?

SILVER SEAVER
07-08-2014, 10:06 PM
bradleys contract looks better with every other free agent signing :)

this contract crys for another lockout

A lockout is about as eminent as the sun rising and setting. Another dumb sport who just can't get their **** together. They just had a damn work stoppage like three years ago. Collective bargaining agreement my arse.

blahblahyoutoo
07-08-2014, 10:14 PM
talk about a homer, calling this deal 'not bad'.

5ass
07-08-2014, 10:36 PM
A lockout is about as eminent as the sun rising and setting. Another dumb sport who just can't get their **** together. They just had a damn work stoppage like three years ago. Collective bargaining agreement my arse.
Damn guys, its not that hard to read. This contract is actually partially the result of the lockout and new CBA.

ManRam
07-09-2014, 10:33 AM
talk about a homer, calling this deal 'not bad'.

Well, what about my post do you disagree with? It's a pretty benign post.

If I was a homer I'd potentially be saying "this is a great deal!". I'm not. I just don't think it's destructive, I think he'll have a very positive impact on the team offensively and I don't think his salary will hurt this team as much as people think :shrug:

blahblahyoutoo
07-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Well, what about my post do you disagree with? It's a pretty benign post.

If I was a homer I'd potentially be saying "this is a great deal!". I'm not. I just don't think it's destructive, I think he'll have a very positive impact on the team offensively and I don't think his salary will hurt this team as much as people think :shrug:

$8m a year is a lot of money for someone who is not a game changer, which is what frye is.
he's a guy who's specialty is being mediocre at everything, not excelling in any one area, and is not going to impact the game.
he's an oh so slightly above avg guy making much more than avg money.

RLundi
07-09-2014, 08:35 PM
$8m a year is a lot of money for someone who is not a game changer, which is what frye is.
he's a guy who's specialty is being mediocre at everything, not excelling in any one area, and is not going to impact the game.
he's an oh so slightly above avg guy making much more than avg money.

Have you seen the contracts recently? Parsons just got $15M a year. McRoberts got $6. Hayward got the max.

The landscape is changing and salaries are trending up. If you think $8M in today's market is a lot for someone who isn't a "game changer," whatever that means, you need to adjust to the times and start paying attention. $8M is the going rate. I don't like the years, but the salary is inconsequential.