PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger to Miami Heat

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 54s
Free agent Danny Granger has agreed to a two-year, $4.2 million deal with the Miami Heat, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

jerellh528
07-07-2014, 03:42 PM
I think heat are bracing for a few big name departures. Thank goodness too, the bandwagoners should die down and the respectable heat fans will be more apparent like the old days.

still1ballin
07-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I think heat are bracing for a few big name departures. Thank goodness too, the bandwagoners should die down and the respectable heat fans will be more apparent like the old days.

:dance:

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:43 PM
For the BAE it's a good deal. He either is a nice buy-low signing, or he's out of the league in a year. But for $2.1 a year, they can live with either outcome.

They've now used up both exceptions, tho. Assuming the Big 3 return, the rest has to come on minimum contracts (I think).

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:44 PM
For the BAE it's a good deal. He either is a nice buy-low signing, or he's out of the league in a year. But for $2.1 a year, they can live with either outcome.

They've now used up both exceptions, tho. Assuming the Big 3 return, the rest has to come on minimum contracts (I think).

We have a 2.2 mill TPE, other than that, yes vet min signings.

kdspurman
07-07-2014, 03:45 PM
McRoberts make sense. Not sure I understand this one. Felt like they needed to add some youthful pieces for their bench.

ManRam

I kinda disagree. I think these moves show that they think LeBron, Wade and Bosh, or at least 2 of them, are returning.

Granger isn't a LeBron-replacement....he's just bench fodder for a contender. You don't throw a 4 year deal at McBob (I do like the signing) without assuming that you have a contender.

NYKnickFanatic
If the big three return, adding Granger and McBob are nice bench pieces. If they don't, yikes.

phen0m
07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Yea this pretty much says that the big 3 are returning.

Quinnsanity
07-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Hardly. This is Riley's recruiting pitch. He had to do SOMETHING. Whether or not this convinces LeBron that Miami is the right place for him remains to be seen, but these moves certainly don't come with any sort of LeBron assurances.

Sneaky
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
For the low low, I like it.

leftymo
07-07-2014, 03:55 PM

I think with insiders now wanting James to return to Cleveland and Houston dropping Melo and pushing hard for Bosh... there's enough to say, that the big 3 might be done.

Especially since they all weren't on the same page after their own meeting.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Not bad. Could really use Ariza, though. Does anyone have a site where they show who's still available and etc?

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Not bad. Could really use Ariza, though. Does anyone have a site where they show who's still available and etc?

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2014/

You should know who's available for the most part.

MiamiBoy77
07-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I think with insiders now wanting James to return to Cleveland and Houston dropping Melo and pushing hard for Bosh... there's enough to say, that the big 3 might be done.

Especially since they all weren't on the same page after their own meeting.

2 days before they signed in 2010, Wade was going to Chicago though. The "insiders" dont know much when it boils down to it.

championships
07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Gary Lee @LakersNation 2 minutes ago
Miami's new Big Three: Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts, and Dwyane Wade.

Alright !Championship!

thomass
07-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Gary Lee @LakersNation 2 minutes ago
Miami's new Big Three: Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts, and Dwyane Wade.

Alright !Championship!

Not 5 not 6 not 7...

Quinnsanity
07-07-2014, 04:04 PM
All I can really say at this point is that it's starting to feel like 2010. The subtle leaks, the early indication he was staying, the cap-maneuvering deals, we may not get the same result, but it has that same feeling.

PacersForLife
07-07-2014, 04:05 PM
This is weird.

c.c.
07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Granger could be starting on a lot teams. Why would he go to Heat to be a bench warmer, especially a former rival.

Lo Porto
07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
These are the same type moves they've made the last few years good, but not good enough if the bulk of the team is Bosh, LeBron and Wade.

phen0m
07-07-2014, 04:07 PM
You also have to consider whether McRob or Granger would even sign there if it wasn't assured the big 3(or at least 2 of them) were coming back. Im sure they could have gotten more attractive offers. The big 3 are coming back 100%.

phen0m
07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Granger could be starting on a lot teams. Why would he go to Heat to be a bench warmer, especially a former rival.

Bench warmer? He was probably sold on being the 6th man.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-07-2014, 04:09 PM

granger stinks

could be out of the league if his health wont improve :oldguy:

Jarvo
07-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Two guys who tries to hurt Lebron, But I do like the signings though.

goingfor28
07-07-2014, 04:14 PM
:hi5:

bucketss
07-07-2014, 04:14 PM

why would he warm the bench, he could slide in at sf, and lebron at pf. probably be a six man though, but that lineup might close games out.

mightybosstone
07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Riley is trying really hard today to use the pieces at his disposal to keep Lebron and Wade, but this is starting to feel a tad desperate. I like McRoberts and if you can get even 60% of vintage Granger, this is a great deal. But those two guys would not have helped Miami beat that San Antonio team this year. And they still have to re-sign Allen and Andersen and replace Chalmers and Battier.

I could be mis-reading this thing, but it's starting to feel "too little, too late."

mightybosstone
07-07-2014, 04:16 PM

I love my fellow Rockets fans, but you're way, way off on this one. He has been atrocious the last two years and was lucky to get a deal like this for a contending team. Personally, I'm not sure I'd give him much more than the veteran minimum based on his play the last two years and his injury concerns.

jerellh528
07-07-2014, 04:17 PM
You also have to consider whether McRob or Granger would even sign there if it wasn't assured the big 3(or at least 2 of them) were coming back. Im sure they could have gotten more attractive offers. The big 3 are coming back 100%.

Yeah right granger will sign anywhere that will take him, and 6 mil for Mcbob is a bit of an overpay, he's been on crap teams his whole career, I doubt that makes any difference.

elledaddy
07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
I dont like the Heat just as I dont like ANY team who isnt NY but some of you guys are just plain haters. These were 2 decent pick ups and as it STANDS RIGHT NOW when all 3 guys return to Miami, they will still have the best team in the East this coming season.

That is unless my Knicks dump Stat and Bargs, then all bets are off of course. ?.......

ManRam
07-07-2014, 04:22 PM

If by "a lot of teams" you mean Philly, well...sure.

Granger has been trash for a while now. I don't think it's crazy to assume he can be a contributing piece on the Heat, but he hasn't played like a starting caliber player in a while.

unleashthebeast
07-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Ira Winderman ‏@IraHeatBeat 9s
Heat can turn Granger's bi-annual deal into trade-exception move by making it a trade with Clippers, giving L.A. their own trade exception.

Hopefully this happens, allows us to use the BAE with someone else

PurpleLynch
07-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Lol and now just trade someone for Hibbert!

greg_ory_2005
07-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Which Granger have you been watching???

Asik's better
07-07-2014, 05:47 PM
There alright pickups, definitely upgrades over what they had. I'm just worried about what if they will pan out. For example Mcroberts played good last season, but was that him improving or because of steve clifford

Clippersfan86
07-07-2014, 05:55 PM
As a Clippers fan who backed Granger all year long let me chime in. His D is still very good. He was arguably the smartest defender on our team besides CP3 and was rarely the cause of defensive breakdowns. He also is very physical on the glass and did a good job boxing out. His offense though was inconsistent as hell. One game he'd drop 10+ on 80 percent shooting in a half off the bench, then the next he's shooting 2-10.

In other words, I think for this price it's fair purely for his defense if Miami uses him in a Tony Allen/Thabo Sefolosha type role.

Quinnsanity
07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Assuming they bring back Ray Allen, Rashard and Andersen for the minimum, I think next year's Heat team would be better than last year's if the Big 3 comes back. I think people underrated McRoberts. He's very similar to Boris Diaw, opens up a lot of possibilities for their offense. I don't think it solves everything, and the gap between them and San Antonio would still certainly be significant, but it'd be a slight improvement.

Crackadalic
07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Napier/Cole
Wade/Allen
Lebron/Granger
McRoberts/Haslem
Bosh/Birdman

That team is already better then last from a talent standpoint. If they can get a bit younger like a backup big then that can really repeat next season.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Which Granger have you been watching???

Hasn't watched him on the Clippers that's for sure:)Haha 3-4 years ago maybe??

blahblahyoutoo
07-07-2014, 07:29 PM
y'all be haters. granger for $2M a year is a bargain.

Muttman73
07-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Didn't Granger sit on the bench in San Antonio last season? How much difference is he going to make?

Hawkamania
07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Solid move by the Heat, especially if the Big 3 all return.

3ballbomber
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
are people really using 'hating' 'haters' still? really????? grow up, for real. Not every opposing opinion of Miami fans is 'hating' coming from 'haters'. It's called opinions. Throughout life you will get people who disagree with you, including people close to you, even family members - is your brother, sister or mother haters or hating if they disagree with you? this childish crap seriously needs to stop.

On another note & this is directed to the very limited long time Miami fans, not the bandwagon, Lebron fans......Remember when Granger used to be known as the 'Heat destroyer'. Granger used to torch Miami pre Big era days & Indiana used to be so tough to beat. Those days for Granger have come & gone. At this stage of his career he is well suited for a contender to bolster up an already deep Bench but not a player that can truly make a difference come playoff time, especially in the finals where he has no experience. If this was 2-3 yrs ago when Granger was on top of his game then this would be a great signing but at this stage of his career, i'm not sure.

This signing is a head scratcher. Not really one that will help Lebron make his mind up since Lebron was never a Granger fan, who once called his antics 'Stupid'. Remember these articles going around:

http://www.hngn.com/articles/25212/20140225/miami-heat-rumors-danny-granger-wanted-locker-room-caron-butler.htm

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/the-heat-reportedly-dont-want-danny-granger-on-the-team/

Granger looks like a Miami sort of guy since he does play pretty decent defense and is a tough competitor but can he stay healthy? can he put up points consistantly? Is this and Mcroberts enough for Lebron to stay? I say no.

With all that said, it i ridiculous that we are talking about adding needing to add even more talent to help Lebron. It all sounds so stupid but it is what it is for this new era of basketball :speechless: the two new signing makes Miami better in my opinion and Lebron should really gut it out w/ the Heat anyway. But again Miami need to address the 1 & 5 spot. When will Riley realize that for long term success he needs to properly balance out his team by finally addressing those 2 spots.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Not a bad move. If they could have gotten Marvin Williams for the BIA then that would have been better IMO. I really thought he was a nice fit there. I don't know if he would have signed for the though. He's a better bet to stay on the court than Granger. But short of that, I don't real see anyone that jumps out at me as some they should have signed.

beasted86
07-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Wait a second... who is supposedly beating the HEAT in the East again when all 3 resign?

These types of marginal upgrades are what makes an already successful team better. The Spurs added nothing when they lost the 2013 Finals except replaced Neal with Belinelli. One year later they are champs.

But no worries, you guys can sit on your sofas watching another Finals with the HEAT next summer while discussing all of their flaws and lack of talent.

D-Leethal
07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Wait a second... who is supposedly beating the HEAT in the East again when all 3 resign?

These types of marginal upgrades are what makes an already successful team better. The Spurs added nothing when they lost the 2013 Finals except replaced Neal with Belinelli. One year later they are champs.

But no worries, you guys can sit on your sofas watching another Finals with the HEAT next summer while discussing all of their flaws and lack of talent.

Reminds me of Beasley and Oden.

Granger is awful.

Kashmir13579
07-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Reminds me of Beasley and Oden.

Granger is awful. He sucks, but at that price it's a low risk move for the heat.

LA_Raiders
07-07-2014, 09:37 PM
The new heat:

Charmers
Wade
Granger
McRob
Birdman

greg_ory_2005
07-07-2014, 09:42 PM
The new heat:

Charmers
Wade
Granger
McRob
Birdman

:drool:

JordansBulls
07-07-2014, 09:43 PM
He should start at SF and bring in Lebron off the bench for firepower.

Big Zo
07-07-2014, 09:43 PM
The new heat:

Charmers
Wade
Granger
McRob
Birdman
Still better than LA...

chitown85
07-07-2014, 09:46 PM
The new heat:

Charmers
Wade
Granger
McRob
Birdman

Very possible. Except the autocorrected Chalmers of course and not Charmers;)_

Riskbreaker
07-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Danny Granger newest addition ... With this, Riley will not give in to Bosh request for a max contract. Riley wants to bring back James in Miami's rosters.If James leaves, Heat is history

Kashmir13579
07-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Still better than LA... Not in this universe or any number of parallel universes

MrfadeawayJB
07-07-2014, 10:33 PM
This sounds like a great deal, 5 yrs ago

IversonIsKrazy
07-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Its a w/e signing. Inconsistent shooter who can defend. I feel like they could've gotten a better wing player tho to come off the bench

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2014, 11:11 PM
He was pretty garbage in the playoffs last season.

3ballbomber
07-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Obviously, to Keep lebron, Riley must have more up his sleeve :speechless: If so the Granger signing isn't bad, especially if they can finally address the 1 & 5 spot & properly balance out the team. Granger would become a threat & give them more depth off the bench......if he can stay healthy.

NBA_Starter
07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
He was pretty garbage in the playoffs last season.

That and LeBron can't stand him, panic move by Riley!