PDA

View Full Version : McRoberts to Miami

Stunner
07-07-2014, 03:03 PM
RT @ESPNSteinLine: ESPN learned that Josh McRoberts has verbally committed to sign with the Miami Heat

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Maybe Pat Riley is working his magic to save the HEAT and the Big 3.

The timing of this is impeccable when the entire world thinks the Big 3 is about to end

ccg34
Bosh's new replacement? LOL Good role player. Didn't he elbow LeBron in the throat?

HYFR
Eh. Ok I guess. Doesn't sway any of the big three to hop back on board tho IMO

HYFR
07-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Free agency heating up lol

Lakers + Giants
07-07-2014, 03:07 PM
4 years 23 mil

Bye bye, bron!

Bostonjorge
07-07-2014, 03:08 PM
He's pretty much the same player Haslem is.

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2014, 03:08 PM
THIS is Miami's big move? LOL. This does absolutely nothing to sway the Big 3 back. In fact this tells me they've given up getting someone better. The Big 3 era is looking done in Miami.

Dade County
07-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Sam Amick @sam_amick now
Miami's agreement with free agent Josh McRoberts is four years at the full midlevel, @USATODAYsports has learned. ESPN first on agreement.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz36oML31Lt

He's ok

NYKnickFanatic
Maybe Pat Riley is working his magic to save the HEAT and the Big 3.

The timing of this is impeccable when the entire world thinks the Big 3 is about to end

Yup! McRob is the key to save the big three!

Good job, Pat! :clap:

D-Block21-Chito
4.8 rbs per game....Is this really what they need? WTF Do people think this is a good signing?

mightybosstone
I like McRoberts and if Lebron, Bosh and Wade were all locks to come back, I would say this has the potential to be a major impact signing. But I don't think guys like Napier and McRoberts are enough to convince Lebron and co. to re-sign in Miami. I think Riley needs a bigger name than that to keep the core together.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:10 PM
RT @ESPNSteinLine: ESPN learned that Josh McRoberts has verbally committed to sign with the Miami Heatlol bye bosh.

Chronz

Worst comparison you could make without sounding like ur joking. Seriously bro?

Nikeman
Yup! McRob is the key to save the big three!

Good job, Pat! :clap:

A quality player who can shoot the 3 well at the PF spot, bring energy, depth, versatility is better than nothing.

That being said, he alone is not even close to enough, we need more depth to convince LeBron and the Big 3 to stay.

Remember Miami can offer Bosh a max deal going over the cap if need be to stay.

ManRam
$6M a year is fair for him, assuming that 3 point shooting wasn't a flash in the pan. He was really really really good last year. Easily an upgrade over Haslem/Lewis/Battier/Beasley and the rest of that junk. He can pass, rebound(ish), defend and score. His passing especially will make him quite fun, assuming LeBron and Co. stay.

ILLUSIONIST^248
4 years 23 mil

Bye bye, bron!:laugh: worse contract so far this offseason

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Lakers + Giants
07-07-2014, 03:12 PM
:laugh: worse contract so far this offseason

No.

MonroeFAN
Yikes.

Bostonjorge
Worst comparison you could make without sounding like ur joking. Seriously bro?
Mc Roberts does what way better then Haslem in your opinion?

ILLUSIONIST^248
$6M a year is fair for him, assuming that 3 point shooting wasn't a flash in the pan. He was really really really good last year. Easily an upgrade over Haslem/Lewis/Battier/Beasley and the rest of that junk. He can pass, rebound(ish), defend and score. His passing especially will make him quite fun, assuming LeBron and Co. stay.mcroberts blows

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Clearly few people watched the Bobcats last season...

Again, if that shooting is real he's a significant upgrade off the bench. Far, far, far better than the guys he'd be replacing, including Haslem. $6M is probably a tad bit of an overpay, but what do people realistically expect? $5M a year certainly is fair...~1 extra million is whatever.

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
mcroberts blows

Spectacular scouting report.

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Why is Miami using the mid-level now? After Lebron and Bosh leave they can just use their cap space.

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Mc Roberts does what way better then Haslem in your opinion?

Pass, defend, shoot threes, run the court, shoot FTs...pretty much everything aside from rebounding.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=mcrobjo01&y1=2014&p2=hasleud01&y2=2014

Why is Miami using the mid-level now? After Lebron and Bosh leave they can just use their cap space.

It is worth noting that it's a "verbal agreement". Perhaps if LeBron leaves they'll renege on it.

aman_13
07-07-2014, 03:18 PM
I really like his game. He's a great addition to any team because of his ability to stretch the floor. He will only cause more problems when teams collapse the paint against Lebron assuming he stays.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 03:19 PM
This. Is. To. Sign. Melo. And. Get. Rid. Of. Bosh. It's probably evident that James doesn't like playing with Bosh and Miami is waiting for Bosh to get some offers from Houston. With that being said, I like this move. He gets 1/3rd of what Bosh gets, he can shoot threes better than Bosh, he's a very good passer, and though his rebounding is fishy, it's not as if Bosh was any better. And he plays with a motor.

If Miami can get rid of Bosh and pick-up Melo, this might be their first step.

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:20 PM
A big man who reminds me of Boris Diaw, certainly not a bad sign for MLE considering money these free agency is being given out like it grows on trees.

He has the athleticism to posterize people, he averages 4+ assists a game at 6'10, shoots 3s and is a high energy player. Huge boost to Miami.

Marvin Williams/Morrow along with re-signing birdman and ray allen and we have a 9-10 deep roster again

Max.This
07-07-2014, 03:20 PM
so this is the guy that miami goes out to get to show Lebron they mean business. The same dude who elbowed him in the throat in the playoffs

Bostonjorge
07-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Clearly few people watched the Bobcats last season...

Again, if that shooting is real he's a significant upgrade off the bench. Far, far, far better than the guys he'd be replacing, including Haslem. $6M is probably a tad bit of an overpay, but what do people realistically expect? $5M a year certainly is fair...~1 extra million is whatever.

I didn't watch any bobcats games last year only if they played my team. I did watch all 4 games in the playoffs. He was a good rebounder who hustles and took way to many 3's and missed most of them. That's what I saw anyways.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:21 PM
mcroberts blows

Spectacular scouting report.

He's a 8-10th guy, who sometimes shouldn't even be on the court. 6 mil is laughable.

teddygreen17
07-07-2014, 03:22 PM
I really like his game. He's a great addition to any team because of his ability to stretch the floor. He will only cause more problems when teams collapse the paint against Lebron assuming he stays.

Then what do you need Bosh for?

black1605
07-07-2014, 03:22 PM
ITT: Lots of people who didn't watch McRoberts play at all last year. I really wish we were getting him back, but I'm ready to see if our young guys can step up.

McRoberts being similar at all to Haslem is big time lol's.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Am I missing something? Mcroberts isn't very good

ManRam
so this is the guy that miami goes out to get to show Lebron they mean business. The same dude who elbowed him in the throat in the playoffs

They only really have the MLE to use. What do people expect?

The impression that I get from PSD is that unless it's a superstar, every signing is stupid and too much money. Maybe people need to start reevaluating what you really can out of < $6M a year. If you get what McRoberts was last year, then you just got a bargain.

c.c.

The Heat are going to get McRoberts to do so violate things to Lebron if he doesn't re-sign

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:26 PM
I didn't watch any bobcats games last year only if they played my team. I did watch all 4 games in the playoffs. He was a good rebounder who hustles and took way to many 3's and missed most of them. That's what I saw anyways.

Even in your tiny sample size your eyes clearly were misleading you. Maybe you should start trusting them a bit less. He took 4.3 threes a game in the playoffs and made 2 of them. That's 47.1%. That's really good. Again, the guy doesn't have to be a star in Miami, he just has to be a role player...and he's a damned good role player because he does a bit of everything. His passing, again, is going to be HUGE on that team. He's the best passing big man in the game not named Noah. In that system: :drool:

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Even in your tiny sample size your eyes clearly were misleading you. Maybe you should start trusting them a bit less. He took 4.3 threes a game in the playoffs and made 2 of them. That's 47.1%. That's really good. Again, the guy doesn't have to be a star in Miami, he just has to be a role player...and he's a damned good role player because he does a bit of everything. His passing, again, is going to be HUGE on that team. He's the best passing big man in the game not named Noah. In that system: :drool:

The heat homer in you would like to believe he's going to be a stud. Average nba player.

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Most arrogant and dumbest post I have ever seen. If you claimed to watch the playoffs, you'd know McRoberts shot the 3 at 47% against Miami in the 4 game sweep. He also averaged 12 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists against Miami in those 4 games shooting the 3 at close to 50%.

You sure you watch the series or you just making **** up?

JLynn943
07-07-2014, 03:29 PM

lolwut

mightybosstone
07-07-2014, 03:30 PM

The impression that I get from PSD is that unless it's a superstar, every signing is stupid and too much money. Maybe people need to start reevaluating what you really can out of < $6M a year. If you get what McRoberts was last year, then you just got a bargain.

I agree. McRoberts was very good last season and was a key cog in the Bobcats making the playoffs. Anyone suggesting that this is a huge overpay is seriously underrating the potential impact the guy could have. Also, look around the free agent market. What other big is available that any team could get for the MLE that is better than McRoberts?

Bosh, Monroe, Gasol and Frye all could easily get more than MLE money. Miami can still get Andersen while going over the cap to pay for him, so that's a moot point. And then you've got a bunch of other marginal big men like Jermaine O'Neal, Patrick Patterson and Elton Brand who I certainly don't think are as good as McRoberts. In this market, McRoberts is worth what he got.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
uh oh McBob sucked when he was a Laker

When do they finally get a center who can rebound lmao?

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:32 PM

I agree. McRoberts was very good last season and was a key cog in the Bobcats making the playoffs. Anyone suggesting that this is a huge overpay is seriously underrating the potential impact the guy could have. Also, look around the free agent market. What other big is available that any team could get for the MLE that is better than McRoberts?

Bosh, Monroe, Gasol and Frye all could easily get more than MLE money. Miami can still get Andersen while going over the cap to pay for him, so that's a moot point. And then you've got a bunch of other marginal big men like Jermaine O'Neal, Patrick Patterson and Elton Brand who I certainly don't think are as good as McRoberts. In this market, McRoberts is worth what he got.he had an ok season on a terrible team. He'll get buried in Miami with all the stars they have. Or should have

Bostonjorge
07-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Most arrogant and dumbest post I have ever seen. If you claimed to watch the playoffs, you'd know McRoberts shot the 3 at 47% against Miami in the 4 game sweep. He also averaged 12 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists against Miami in those 4 games shooting the 3 at close to 50%.

Bosh shot the 3 at 69% and he can't shoot at all. So if mcroberts can't stop a terrible bosh from shooting close to 70% from 3 what does that say about mcroberts Defense.

YAALREADYKNO
07-07-2014, 03:34 PM
decent pickup but thats not what the heat need. They need a big guy who can rebound. I wouldve like them to pick up a guy like kris humphries instead

black1605
07-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Bosh shot the 3 at 69% and he can't shoot at all. So if mcroberts can't stop a terrible bosh from shooting close to 70% from 3 what does that say about mcroberts Defense.

That has nothing to do with you saying McRoberts missed most of his 3's in the series. You were wrong, own it.

SPURSFAN1
07-07-2014, 03:36 PM
:worthy: :laugh:

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Assists/48 minutes (big men)
1. Noah - 7.3
2. McBob - 6.8
3. Love - 5.9
4. Diaw - 5.4

AST/TO
1. McBob - 4.01
2. Noah - 2.22
3. Marc - 1.94

No wonder why SAS were interested...

Lakers + Giants
07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
That's why the eye test doesn't work in sports, you only see what you want to see.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 03:38 PM

"Most arrogant and dumbest post" Really? He said he was a good rebounder who hustled (accurate) and missed most of his 3s. 47% is under 50% which means that he technically missed most of the 3s he took. It's very possible that he just remembers more of the misses than makes from 3 (maybe the misses he did have were really forced shots or airballs/bad misses so they stick out more to him). You went balistic over his post which really wasn't bad at all. There are plenty more "dumb" posts in this thread about McBob. And as for arrogant I'm not sure you know what the word means because nothing he said was arrogant.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Danny granger to Miami. Lololol

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Heat just signed Granger to a 2 year 4.2M deal too...

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Miami now has used their MLE and BAE. All the exceptions are gone. Assuming the Big 3 return they only have the minimum to fill things out now...

I hate Granger, but for the BAE it's fine. Won't really get anything better I'd imagine.

Max.This
07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
He shot 36% from threes last season. Assuming they have their big three core, will McRoberts start with chris bosh?

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 54s
Free agent Danny Granger has agreed to a two-year, $4.2 million deal with the Miami Heat, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

aman_13
07-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Then what do you need Bosh for?

Bosh is their center and more versatile than McRoberts so why not? They could easily play together and McRoberts should be coming off the bench so he could be another stretch big on the floor when Bosh is on the bench. They were hoping for Haslem and Beasley to be that guy, McRoberts is an upgrade over both.

Lakers + Giants
07-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Heat trying to build a bench for bron to stay.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Heat trying to build a bench for bron to stay.well they're not doing a very good job

Lakers + Giants
07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
well they're not doing a very good job

Tell me how they could've done better with those exceptions.

ManRam
07-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Tell me how they could've done better with those exceptions.

That's what it boils down to. Neither are tremendous players, but McBob is an upgrade and about the best you can expect out of the MLE...and Granger is a good buy-low option. Not difference makers, but just about the best you could expect. The MLE doesn't get you a ton...the BAE gets you almost nothing.

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 03:52 PM
That's what it boils down to. Neither are tremendous players, but McBob is an upgrade and about the best you can expect out of the MLE...and Granger is a good buy-low option. Not difference makers, but just about the best you could expect. The MLE doesn't get you a ton...the BAE gets you almost nothing.

The heat can easily make it out of the East, please tell me, barring Melo going to Chicago, a serious threat to them?

Hell even the Pacers if they lost Lance Stephenson become a much easier out than before.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 03:53 PM
So they sign a guy for MLE money and bi-annual money... that implies that they'll be going over the cap to re-sign their own guys. And that only happens ifthe Big 3 is back.

Napier/Cole
Wade
Lebron/Granger
McRoberts
Bosh

They also still have bird rights on Chris Anderson so they can bring him back to add to their front court rotation. I believe there is also some sort of "own player's" exception that would allow them to keep Ray Allen as well if they want to. They also have bird rights on Chalmers but IDK if they even want him back with Napier and Cole. Other than that, it would be all vet min signings from here on out.

That's a good roster that will once again be the favorites in the East (unless CHI lands Melo IMO). However, it's not any sort of powerhouse and still a team that would project to be an underdog in the Finals against the top teams of the West IMO. Long term it look shaky too once Wade goes further into decline. I don't see that as a roster Lebron would want to sign on with for more than 2 seasons.

If Lebron only signs on for 2 seasons, does Chris Bosh want to stay? He probably wants long term security and is MIA a better spot for that than HOU if Lebron only commits to 2 years?

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Now I know you're making garbage up. McRoberts wasn't defending Bosh the majority of the game(s).

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Woah... Danny Granger for $2.1 million is a damn steal.

Lakers + Giants
07-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Completely agree. I'm not sure this will be enough to get Bron to stay but it's not like the heat could've done any better with those exceptions.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Keep in mind, if James stays, you get Allen as well. Allen has made it clear he will stay if James is there. I think that goes the same for James Jones as well.

ATX
07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
lol bye bosh.

Good Lord, you are sooooooo clueless

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2014, 04:03 PM
So they sign a guy for MLE money and bi-annual money... that implies that they'll be going over the cap to re-sign their own guys. And that only happens ifthe Big 3 is back.

Napier/Cole
Wade
Lebron/Granger
McRoberts
Bosh

They also still have bird rights on Chris Anderson so they can bring him back to add to their front court rotation. I believe there is also some sort of "own player's" exception that would allow them to keep Ray Allen as well if they want to. They also have bird rights on Chalmers but IDK if they even want him back with Napier and Cole. Other than that, it would be all vet min signings from here on out.

That's a good roster that will once again be the favorites in the East (unless CHI lands Melo IMO). However, it's not any sort of powerhouse and still a team that would project to be an underdog in the Finals against the top teams of the West IMO. Long term it look shaky too once Wade goes further into decline. I don't see that as a roster Lebron would want to sign on with for more than 2 seasons.

If Lebron only signs on for 2 seasons, does Chris Bosh want to stay? He probably wants long term security and is MIA a better spot for that than HOU if Lebron only commits to 2 years?

But this move most definitely doesn't guarantee the big 3 are coming back. This just tells us that Riley decided the best chance to get the big 3 back was to keep the ability to give them max contracts as an option and add a few guys with exceptions, as opposed to going out and spending money on a guy like Ariza or Deng and hoping the big 3 were willing to take pay cuts. But you do make good points in that now they get to keep the bird rights for all the players they had so they can bring everyone back from last year as opposed to hoping the big 3 re-sign at a discount, add another player and fill the rest with vet minimum contracts.

Big Zo
07-07-2014, 04:05 PM
You're not doing a good troll job. What happened to you, man? You used to be good...

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
You're not doing a good troll job. What happened to you, man? You used to be good...

I'm not trolling, I'm honestly think those two guys will have little impact next year.

elledaddy
07-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Man I like the signing. I dont know what exactly people want miami to do as far as signings, but this is a solid pick up. I personally wouldnt classify him as an "upgrade" over Lewis but he better then the rest of those bench guys IMO. And he DEFINITELY isnt a replacement for Bosh.

Miami 3 is definitely coming back

goingfor28
07-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Lebron is gone

SILVER SEAVER
07-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Or maybe LeBron put in a request to Riles to sign McRoberts so he wouldn't have to take anymore hard fouls.

shep33
07-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I kind of don't like this signing. The Bobcats actually ran a lot of plays through McBob (at least that's what it seemed like to me when watching them).

If you bring back Bron, Wade and Bosh, I think McBob's impact declines. Let's not forget that last year with Charlotte his averages were 8.5, 4.3 apg , 4.8 rpg.

Good all around player, but I'm not sure he plays quite a role if the big 3 come back.

That being said, maybe Bosh is gone.

TheNumber37
07-07-2014, 04:18 PM
He had a career year as a passer... this is their attempt at matching Diaw

SILVER SEAVER
07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
At first I thought the Big Three already had this set in motion like they did in 2010 but now I'm not so sure. I think Riles is really having doubts about him returning and isn't going to wait around for LeBron to do to them like he did to Cleveland. Not so sure Bosh returns. It might be Wade, Granger and McRoberts as their new Big Three? :confused: Can't figure this LeBron anymore than anybody else can.

GodsSon
07-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Their replacement for Bosh if/when he walks.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I kind of don't like this signing. The Bobcats actually ran a lot of plays through McBob (at least that's what it seemed like to me when watching them).

If you bring back Bron, Wade and Bosh, I think McBob's impact declines. Let's not forget that last year with Charlotte his averages were 8.5, 4.3 apg , 4.8 rpg.

Good all around player, but I'm not sure he plays quite a role if the big 3 come back.

When he's on the floor with Lebron he'll just be a floor spacer and rebounder most likely. But I'm sure they'll line up their rotations so they can get his playmaking on the floor during the times Lebron is off the court. They need people that can create offense in those cases so they don't have to run Lebron into the ground during the regular season.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Smart role player signing; I do like him as a passer. Is he great? No. Is this a splash? Of course not. But, can he ball and is he a solid player? Yes. Good depth signing IMO; I don't really read much more into this.

Zackthesack
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Aint that where the heat play? ****** hate ballers these days. Aint that like Josh McBob, aint that just like D-Grange? wait..

ManRam
07-07-2014, 04:29 PM

Of course his role will dip, but he has a great complimentary skill set. If he can hit the three like he did last year, mixed in with his passing, he's a great role player in that system. He'll help with spacing and he'll help with team ball movement. He can run the court too, which also has huge value playing in Miami. He'll help them with athleticism out of that position a ton too.

bucketss
07-07-2014, 04:35 PM

you probably wonder why some might think you're a troll lol.

RiLoc
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
I understand he has above average passing and shooting skills for a big, which makes him a relatively good complimentary fit for LeBron. That being said, he's a poor rebounder (5.7REB/36MIN and 8.9% REB% source (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcrobjo01.html)) and not a high impact defensive player (0.59 DRPM is not great for a PF source (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/4/sort/RPM)). Maybe it was an off year for him, but it seems like a desperate waste of a mid level to me, unless LeBron stays and Bosh is out.

RubberBand Man
07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Hahaja he sucks *** the full MLE really?

bucketss
07-07-2014, 05:00 PM
tbh i would have gave that money to grevis vasquez,kris hump,

and grangers money to someone like alan andersen, maybe a little cheaper.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 05:03 PM
This is just a verbal agreement. With that being said, I don't think many of you watch how hard he plays. He could be a huge energy boost for Miami. A much needed one, at that. If they do indeed plan on replacing Bosh, this is one amazing move from Miami. I question Miami's motives in keeping Bosh.

Redrum187
07-07-2014, 05:04 PM
McRoberts doesn't "suck" in my honest opinion. However, he doesn't deserve the full MLE. At most, 5 mil a year, but I'd like 4 years, 16 mil with a team option on 4th year, better.

Having said that, McRoberts is not going to be as an affective passer as he was last season if he plays with LeBron, Chris, and Dwyane. The team ran plays for him offensively and he was relatively successful for a 6'10 PF. I don't think the Miami Heat will utilize him the same way. He is a below-average rebounder, mediocre-defender AT BEST, and with his current projected salary contract, not a very good signing for the Miami Heat overall.

My hope is that LeBron leaves Miami for Cleveland, Houston, or Dallas (although Houston and Dallas don't seem to have a chance unfortunately), Chris signs with the Rockets, and Dwyane Wade has to resign with Miami for what he is TRULY worth (7mil a year), making opting out of his contract a very huge mistake for him (but otherwise fair for Heat fans and their team's future salary cap).

The Miami Heat fans are asking, WHO could they have gotten that was any better? Well, I would have renounced the rights to Dwyane Wade (or TPE via S&T), and used that money to offer Pau Gasol a 10 mil/year contract, 3 years, player option on the 3rd year. Then I'd have a sit-down meeting with Carmelo Anthony and tell him that if he wants to join the Miami Heat, renounce the rights to Chris Bosh (or do a S&T with Houston to get a TPE), sign Carmelo Anthony for the max, and then sign McRoberts on the cheap (4 years, 16 mil, team option on the 4th). Perhaps that would be enough for LeBron to resign... maybe not. Probably get Ray Allen back as well.

PG: ????? ????
SG: Danny Granger/Ray Allen
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: LeBron James/Josh McRoberts
C : Pau Gasol

They would have some TPE and their exceptions used to fill the roster. Maybe the Heat did try this but they wouldn't bite.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Wade is worth more than $7 mil/year. He averaged 19 PPG and just under REB/AST. Granted, it was as a #2 option but that type of production is worth a lot more than $7 mil/year even if it does come out of a secondary role. I'd say right now he plays at a $13 million/year level. The problem is that he's in decline and the injuries are mounting.

SILVER SEAVER
07-07-2014, 05:11 PM
This is just a verbal agreement. With that being said, I don't think many of you watch how hard he plays. He could be a huge energy boost for Miami. A much needed one, at that. If they do indeed plan on replacing Bosh, this is one amazing move from Miami. I question Miami's motives in keeping Bosh.

I don't think people question McRoberts motor or how good a player he is but nobody really thought there would be any of these signings before the Big Three were taken care of. If LeBron wants max its hard to add two other guys who need to be given decent size contracts and good young players to surround them and for what the market is set at these days it would be hard to sign a few veteran minimum size deals that can make solid contributions.

RazzleDazzle
07-07-2014, 05:13 PM
its a replacement for Bosh. McRoberts can do EXACTLY what Bosh did last year. That is to be the floor spacer. They don't need $15M for a guy like that. Now they just need a center that can rebound.

Monroe? They need a workhorse inside and young and can run the offense through at times. Blue Collar worker

Jordan Hill? If I were the Heat, he'd be the perfect compliment for this team on the bench. Need some blue collar workers.

Gasol?

Channing Frye? off the bench instant offense and another floor spacer.

These are the guys they need to target. They need to bulk that front line but also flexibility for shooters, which looked all-so vulnerable. Lebron was their best rebounder last year lol. You want Lebron to not be relied on getting every rebound - and he'll appreciate that.

Gasol, Hill, Frye, McRoberts would certainly make up more than Bosh and the rest of the Heat bench could have done last year.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 05:18 PM
I don't think people question McRoberts motor or how good a player he is but nobody really thought there would be any of these signings before the Big Three were taken care of. If LeBron wants max its hard to add two other guys who need to be given decent size contracts and good young players to surround them and for what the market is set at these days it would be hard to sign a few veteran minimum size deals that can make solid contributions.

Annnnnd no one knows if Miami plans on even signing Bosh. With McRoberts in the lineup, it begs the question if Miami plans on signing Bosh. McRoberts is a PF and he just recently got big minutes. I would think he can improve his game. He has energy, plays rough, and gives them the three point shooting/about equal as Bosh in rebounding + he's only 1/3rd of Bosh's salary. Like I said, this deal would look sweet if Miami doesn't resign Bosh. People talk about what Bosh brings to Miami.

1) Rebounding === He doesn't rebound much better than McRoberts.
2) Passing === I would say it's even?
3) Hustle === McRoberts definitely.
4) Toughness === Again, McRoberts without a question. He's not afraid to attack you - just look at what he did to Bron.
5) Three point shooting === McRobert's is better.
6) Defense? === McRoberts.
7) Spacing the floor is all Bosh has on McRoberts. I don't see where else he beats him at. He can move faster? I mean, I don't know.

Does Bosh's production warrant $12 million more than McRoberts? Hard to argue that. If you're saying McRoberts will only have a dip in stats because he'll be sharing the ball more, well, he'll also have more rebounds, and the amount of open shots he gets will be unreal.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 05:24 PM
its a replacement for Bosh. McRoberts can do EXACTLY what Bosh did last year. That is to be the floor spacer. They don't need $15M for a guy like that. Now they just need a center that can rebound.

Monroe? They need a workhorse inside and young and can run the offense through at times. Blue Collar worker

Jordan Hill? If I were the Heat, he'd be the perfect compliment for this team on the bench. Need some blue collar workers.

Gasol?

Channing Frye? off the bench instant offense and another floor spacer.

These are the guys they need to target. They need to bulk that front line but also flexibility for shooters, which looked all-so vulnerable. Lebron was their best rebounder last year lol. You want Lebron to not be relied on getting every rebound - and he'll appreciate that.

Gasol, Hill, Frye, McRoberts would certainly make up more than Bosh and the rest of the Heat bench could have done last year.

I completely agree. I don't think Miami should spend $15 million on someone who just spaces the floor. You can't pay someone that much just to stand there and say "he's sacrificed for the team." Doing what? Standing far from the basket? Unless you're Stephen Curry or K.Love, there is no reason for you to only be useful in spacing the floor. I would much rather Miami go after Frye than McRoberts but either of them is a good choice to replace Bosh. They need a center who can rebound and have some inside presence. This year doesn't have much available but if they can, Emeka Okafor would be a good choice. Resign Andersen/Jermaine? A lineup of

Okafor
James
Wade
McRoberts
Napier

Isn't too bad considering you'll get McRoberts/Okafor/Andersen/Jermaine for the price of Chris Bosh.

Redrum187
07-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Wade is worth more than $7 mil/year. He averaged 19 PPG and just under REB/AST. Granted, it was as a #2 option but that type of production is worth a lot more than $7 mil/year even if it does come out of a secondary role. I'd say right now he plays at a $13 million/year level. The problem is that he's in decline and the injuries are mounting.

For next year, I'd agree he is closer to 13 mil/year than 7 mil, however, for a 4-5 year contract, I'd do nothing more than an average of 7 mil/year. Front load it if you must, but no more than 28mil-35mil for a 4-5 year contract.

I didn't mean to sound like one of those Heat haters who undervalues players. I think he has another season of All Star level performance with a decline of course.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Okafor didn't play at all last year so IDK what his market would be. If MIA could get him on a 1 year vet min prove it deal then he'd be a nice fit IMO.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Wade doesn't deserve $13 million a year. More like 10. Have you taken into account that he was off 30% of Heat games? That's 1/3rd his salary for no showing up to anything. If I'm Wade, I take a 4 year $48 million deal and not complain. That gives them just enough room to sign Bron at the max and again, I don't think Miami is contempt with giving Bosh that amount of money. He's a $13 million player if you ask me.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Annnnnd no one knows if Miami plans on even signing Bosh. With McRoberts in the lineup, it begs the question if Miami plans on signing Bosh. McRoberts is a PF and he just recently got big minutes. I would think he can improve his game. He has energy, plays rough, and gives them the three point shooting/about equal as Bosh in rebounding + he's only 1/3rd of Bosh's salary. Like I said, this deal would look sweet if Miami doesn't resign Bosh. People talk about what Bosh brings to Miami.

1) Rebounding === He doesn't rebound much better than McRoberts.
2) Passing === I would say it's even?
3) Hustle === McRoberts definitely.
4) Toughness === Again, McRoberts without a question. He's not afraid to attack you - just look at what he did to Bron.
5) Three point shooting === McRobert's is better.
6) Defense? === McRoberts.
7) Spacing the floor is all Bosh has on McRoberts. I don't see where else he beats him at. He can move faster? I mean, I don't know.

Does Bosh's production warrant $12 million more than McRoberts? Hard to argue that. If you're saying McRoberts will only have a dip in stats because he'll be sharing the ball more, well, he'll also have more rebounds, and the amount of open shots he gets will be unreal.

Chris Bosh is so criminally underrated it isn't even funny. Bosh is easily a better defender than McRoberts. Bosh is easily a better rebounder than McRoberts. Bosh can score in so many different ways then McRoberts. The problem isn't Bosh. The problem is that Spo doesn't take advantage of his offensive skill set at all. Bosh contributes to that by being so passive and willing to take a backseat. He defers almost to a fault.

FlashBolt
07-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Chris Bosh is so criminally underrated it isn't even funny. Bosh is easily a better defender than McRoberts. Bosh is easily a better rebounder than McRoberts. Bosh can score in so many different ways then McRoberts. The problem isn't Bosh. The problem is that Spo doesn't take advantage of his offensive skill set at all. Bosh contributes to that by being so passive and willing to take a backseat. He defers almost to a fault.

How is he underrated? He's getting max offers from many teams. The thing with Bosh is he's given up playing the way he can play. He's not a better defender than McRoberts nor is he a much better rebounder. I don't know how many people here actually watch Hornets games but he can defend better than Bosh. Spo is not the problem. Bosh has said so himself that he loves the three point game because 3 is more than 2 and the fact that he doesn't like banging in the paint. He said so himself in a video... All this leads me to believe that Bosh is contempt with his role and doesn't mind it. Deferring or not, he got beat by Duncan, Hibbert, West, Al Jefferson, and most likely would have been beaten down by Brook Lopez as well.

WITZ
07-07-2014, 05:46 PM
4 years 23 million...no discount :laugh2:

RazzleDazzle
07-07-2014, 05:53 PM

ya he's not underrated. just the way Miami is using him. and for what Miami uses Bosh for, you can get with someone that makes way less than $15M IMO.

Channing Frye for instance. McRoberts, who has verbally committed. Jason Smith. Anthony Tolliver. Charlie V. Ryan Kelly. Matt Bonner. Jamison. Al Harrington. BJ Mullens.

all these the Heat can get and pad that bench with.

Wrench
07-07-2014, 06:10 PM
With Channing Frye signing for 4 years and 32M I don't see how this is an over pay at all haha

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Because, Spo is a tool and a moron...yes, he is underrated/underutilized/and seemingly underappreciated. Best move for Bosh is Houston. Good luck with McBob scaring teams (can't spread the floor without making teams respect you...) like Bosh did...if that is really their plan. Time will tell.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:15 PM
How is he underrated? He's getting max offers from many teams. The thing with Bosh is he's given up playing the way he can play. He's not a better defender than McRoberts nor is he a much better rebounder. I don't know how many people here actually watch Hornets games but he can defend better than Bosh. Spo is not the problem. Bosh has said so himself that he loves the three point game because 3 is more than 2 and the fact that he doesn't like banging in the paint. He said so himself in a video... All this leads me to believe that Bosh is contempt with his role and doesn't mind it. Deferring or not, he got beat by Duncan, Hibbert, West, Al Jefferson, and most likely would have been beaten down by Brook Lopez as well.

Not underrated by NBA teams but by fans, at least that's what I think he means. People saying McBoB is as good as Bosh/can easily replace him is the epitome of underrating! Houston is offering McBobs whole contract each year because they believe he is THAT much better; not just for ***** and giggles;)

ManRam
07-07-2014, 06:20 PM
With Channing Frye signing for 4 years and 32M I don't see how this is an over pay at all haha

The MLE gets you these types of players now. People need to stop acting like you can nab all-stars, or even really good starters for $8M a year. You get fringe starters, but certain contributors, for that money.

Crackadalic
07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Napier>Cole/Chalmers
McRoberts>Haslem

Plus they get younger when at times in the finals they look old as ****

So how are they bad moves? Haven't we learn that throwing a bunch of talent together doesn't always work in the nba like other sports? If the big 3 come back I think they are much better and I kinda hate that smh

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:33 PM
The MLE gets you these types of players now. People need to stop acting like you can nab all-stars, or even really good starters for $8M a year. You get fringe starters, but certain contributors, for that money.

Very good point.

TylerSL
07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
I think McRoberts is an amazing fit on the Heat, but 4 years 23 million seems a little high. If that's what it took to get him, then that's what it took, I'm glad we got him. I do not believe we got McRoberts to replace Bosh as some have speculated. I have said all along I believe the Big 3 are all staying put and they will make the cap work. Really like this signing.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Napier>Cole/Chalmers
McRoberts>Haslem

Plus they get younger when at times in the finals they look old as ****

So how are they bad moves? Haven't we learn that throwing a bunch of talent together doesn't always work in the nba like other sports? If the big 3 come back I think they are much better and I kinda hate that smh

Let's let Napier play a game before we rate him over vets who have been in the system for years now. McBob is not leaps and bounds better than Haslem...not to the point of making them that much better. Wade will only get worse, and will probably miss even more time/lose a step...not really that scared of that team at this point tbh. I do get your point, and I can see the potential...I really can; but personally their window of dominance is fading each moment (along with Wade's knees).

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:41 PM
I think McRoberts is an amazing fit on the Heat, but 4 years 23 million seems a little high. If that's what it took to get him, then that's what it took, I'm glad we got him. I do not believe we got McRoberts to replace Bosh as some have speculated. I have said all along I believe the Big 3 are all staying put and they will make the cap work. Really like this signing.

Hard to see Bosh staying...it could happen. But, its in the air. Fingers crossed if I was you. Yes, it would be stupid to try and replace Chris Bosh with McBob, a compliment, but not a replacement.

Crackadalic
07-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Let's let Napier play a game before we rate him over vets who have been in the system for years now. McBob is not leaps and bounds better than Haslem...not to the point of making them that much better. Wade will only get worse, and will probably miss even more time/lose a step...not really that scared of that team at this point tbh. I do get your point, and I can see the potential...I really can; but personally their window of dominance is fading each moment (along with Wade's knees).

I'll give you the McRoberts/Haslem thing but I'm sorry Chalmers blows. I've seen enough from Napier that he will be a better basketball player then that scrub

TylerSL
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Hard to see Bosh staying...it could happen. But, its in the air. Fingers crossed if I was you. Yes, it would be stupid to try and replace Chris Bosh with McBob, a compliment, but not a replacement.

How is it up in the air exactly? Bosh stated before the season ended he would take a pay cut to stay with the team and since has been completely silent. I think if a number of negative things happen he could leave, and if he does leave he would go to Houston, but nothing suggests he will leave. Everything being said about the Heat is pure speculation because Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem and the Heat have said nothing except Lebron wants the max. There is no proof that anyone is looking to leave, in fact it is to the contrary if anything.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 06:57 PM
How is it up in the air exactly? Bosh stated before the season ended he would take a pay cut to stay with the team and since has been completely silent. I think if a number of negative things happen he could leave, and if he does leave he would go to Houston, but nothing suggests he will leave. Everything being said about the Heat is pure speculation because Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem and the Heat have said nothing except Lebron wants the max. There is no proof that anyone is looking to leave, in fact it is to the contrary if anything.

That's before a really good playoff team in the West offered him a max contract to come and team up with his buddy Howard and Harden (in his home state). Not saying he definitively will go to Houston, but don't think anyone can say the contrary definitively either (with any real confidence). Thus, up in the air...

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
If Jodie Meeks was worth 6.5 mill, Darren Collison is worth the full MLE, then in today's market, McRob is definitely worth the full MLE.

smith&wesson
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
23 million for mcroberts ? really ? out of all the players that are available :confused:

smith&wesson
07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
and granger, stand back the heat are filling out their roster :laugh2: did they not watch him last season ? guys hot garbage. atleast Mcroberts its pretty good and younger.

smith&wesson
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
If Jodie Meeks was worth 6.5 mill, Darren Collison is worth the full MLE, then in today's market, McRob is definitely worth the full MLE.

its not that I dont think he is worth it. the price seems reasonable in todays market.

I just wonder if there were better players to be targeted considering all the players that are available :shrug:

d00d
07-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Breaking News: Miami has scheduled a party with plans to raise Granger, McBob and Cole on a platform with confetti

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
its not that I dont think he is worth it. the price seems reasonable in todays market.

I just wonder if there were better players to be targeted considering all the players that are available :shrug:

We tried to get Deng, Gasol and Ariza with the MLE, and waited and waited but they want their market value. All of them want 8 million + deals which Miami cannot afford. We got the best option we could for the MLE we had to offer.

d00d
07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
We tried to get Deng, Gasol and Ariza with the MLE, and waited and waited but they want their market value. All of them want 8 million + deals which Miami cannot afford. We got the best option we could for the MLE we had to offer.

"We"?

*Silver&Black*
07-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Is DeShawn Stevenson next? Seems they are signing guys who have had issues with LBJ in playoff games.

smith&wesson
07-07-2014, 07:22 PM

fair enough,

some players are just greedy.. Ariza has a solid season and now wants to be flat out over paid.. guy could have been a great piece on a contender.

Redrum187
07-07-2014, 08:38 PM

If you buy Advil for $50.00 a bottle but someone else bought Aleve for $100.00 a bottle, your $50.00 is still overpaying.

amos1er
07-07-2014, 08:39 PM
If you buy Advil for $50.00 a bottle but someone else bought Aleve for $100.00 a bottle, your $50.00 is still overpaying.

Lol.

3ballbomber
07-07-2014, 08:53 PM
this is not a signing that improves them in the playoffs. He has no playoff/finals experience - he will disappear come deep in the playoffs & will look like deer in headlights. In the long run this may improve Miami - but they are obviously in a win now situation. It looks to me like Riley is in desperation mode. Good luck keeping Lebron

smith&wesson
07-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Riley should have traded LeBron while he had the chance. say bye bye to lbj in Miami.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Riley should have traded LeBron while he had the chance. say bye bye to lbj in Miami.

In hindsight? Sure, but they were on their way to another ring (as far as they could tell anyway). Nobody saw that asz whooping they got in the Finals coming. Nobody. Not sure if Bron really leaves...I believe it depends on Bosh and maybe even Melo...

Jamiecballer
07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
That's why the eye test doesn't work in sports, you only see what you want to see.
Succinct and completely on target.

jamiecballer calls it "the can't miss post of the summer".

Kashmir13579
07-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Worst comparison you could make without sounding like ur joking. Seriously bro? i think he's not kidding

Kashmir13579
07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I can't believe reading through this how many of you dont know McRoberts game... oh wait, this is psd, where people are outspoken about things they have absolutely no clue on.

MrfadeawayJB
07-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Good move. He is a versatile guy that can contribute. A bit too much $ but the market is totally inflated right now.

Kidd>>>K-Mart
07-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I would just like to say that I completely laughed when I saw the amount of money the Heat are giving this guy! I don't care who is, or who is supposed to be on the roster this signing is laughable and IMO could be the worst one looking back on the 2014 free agency.

As a Nets fan…this signing is VERY much similar to the one the Nets gave Travis Outlaw back in 2010 when they struck out on all the big name free agents. Thank goodness for the amnesty the following year!

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
This makes me love the Clippers Hawes signing even more. Surprised Miami didn't offer Hawes the exact same contract and the starting C job.

IversonIsKrazy
07-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Solid depth signing, but he was a guy who avgd 5 rpg in 30mpg.

Redrum187
07-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Solid depth signing, but he was a guy who avgd 5 rpg in 30mpg.

My concerns as well. It's not that McRoberts "sucks", it's that his game doesn't mesh well with Miami (assuming they get LeBron, Wade, and Bosh resigned). Worst case scenario, they don't get those guys resigned, what the hell are you going to do with him? Why have him on contract if you're going to rebuild?

It does stink of desperation by the Miami Heat organization but I think the people on here are being a bit harsh. What can they do that they probably haven't yet tried? They are doing the best with the hand they were dealt.

As someone above me mentioned, Spencer Hawes joining the Heat with the same exact contract would make the Heat noticeably better and deeper. Not to mention, Hawes is actually a really good passer for a center. He is an astronomically better fit for Miami than McRoberts. I hope the Heat tried... if not, then I have to allow the people on PSD to vent some of their negativity towards their way.

Redrum187
07-07-2014, 11:17 PM
This makes me love the Clippers Hawes signing even more. Surprised Miami didn't offer Hawes the exact same contract and the starting C job.

I totally agree. Hawes and Clippers deal is pretty respectable in my honest opinion. They will make quite a squad next year.

Do you know for sure if Miami did or didn't offer this to him? I'd like to give the Heat a bit more credit then to assume they didn't try... :ohno:

Nikeman
07-07-2014, 11:38 PM

Agreed 100% with you, I don't know if Miami never made a pitch to Hawes, but we could have offered Hawes the same deal with much more playing time and a much more significant role.

Either Miami never made a pitch to him, or he wanted the Clippers from the start, as he is a player who is content with a back-up role making quality money.

That being said, he is a much better fit in terms of what Miami needs than McRoberts.

Anytime I read into Spencer Hawes, reports were that he was seeking an 8 mill+ deal, like what Channing Frye got.

Redrum187
07-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Agreed 100% with you, I don't know if Miami never made a pitch to Hawes, but we could have offered Hawes the same deal with much more playing time and a much more significant role.

Either Miami never made a pitch to him, or he wanted the Clippers from the start, as he is a player who is content with a back-up role making quality money.

That being said, he is a much better fit in terms of what Miami needs than McRoberts.

Anytime I read into Spencer Hawes, reports were that he was seeking an 8 mill+ deal, like what Channing Frye got.

Completely agree.

JEDean89
07-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Miami should have gotten Hawes and tried to get Isiah Thomas. That would have rounded out the big 3 quite nicely.

NBA_Starter
07-08-2014, 07:49 PM
McBob played over his head last year in a contract year. I for one will not miss him it is definitely a panic move by the Heat.

rex.reyesiii
07-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Miami should have gotten Hawes and tried to get Isiah Thomas. That would have rounded out the big 3 quite nicely.

I don't think Hawes is a Heat "guy", regarding his "D".