PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw reaches agreement with Spurs. 3 yr $22.5 mill

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Free-agent forward Boris Diaw has reached agreement on a three-year, $22.5 million contract to return to the defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, league sources told Yahoo Sports.Diaw, 32, transformed himself into an indispensable part of the Spurs' championship fiber and his return was considered a vital part of management's plan to compete for a sixth franchise title next season.

The third year of Diaw's deal is partially guaranteed, sources said. Diaw is guaranteed $15.5 million over the first two years of the deal, sources said.

With Diaw's return set, the Spurs will continue their pursuit of free agent Pau Gasol with an offer of their midlevel exception, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The deal includes protections for the Spurs' salary-cap space should the organization change direction in the next few years and move toward a rebuild after the Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili era.

More- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--boris-diaw-gets--22-5-million-deal-to-re-sign-with-spurs-195943153.html

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I thought they would bring him back but on a little bit of a shorter deal.

FOXHOUND
07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Ehh, a little expensive.

HYFR
07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
A lot of money but they needed him. Good deal for the spurs

scissors
Dude got paid. That's almost Tim Duncan money. lol

BKdoubleStacker
That's a lot of money but he is very important for them in the postseason

c.c.
07-06-2014, 07:52 PM
That's great for him, a 32 year old role player with 7 mil a year

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Wow. 7 mill a year at his age? He's worth more like 5.

torocan
07-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Fully expected that they would re-sign Diaw. Looks like the Spurs are well positioned to go for a repeat.

Completely intact roster plus they picked up Kyle Anderson.... going to be an interesting season next year. Now we just have to see whether Melo and Lebron have the cajones to go West... :)

SPURSFAN1
07-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Fully expected that they would re-sign Diaw. Looks like the Spurs are well positioned to go for a repeat.

Completely intact roster plus they picked up Kyle Anderson.... going to be an interesting season next year. Now we just have to see whether Melo and Lebron have the cajones to go West... :)

Not a good time to get stingy once you have a championship roster. Might be 3mil a little too high but the deal is front loaded so it becomes small in the third year. Imagine if we also get Gasol? Gameover.

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Wow. 7 mill a year at his age? He's worth more like 5.

Age doesn't matter when you see how he plays. Smart guy, durable, and fits perfectly. I remember people thought Splitter was overpaid, but guys earn their $ and come up big when needed. Splitter did the first 2 series, and Diaw was valuable all post season, but really shined against OKC/Miami. He's getting like Ginobili money, and he is probably equally as important.

I do like the partially guaranteed for his 3rd year though.

c.c.
07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Age doesn't matter when you see how he plays. Smart guy, durable, and fits perfectly. I remember people thought Splitter was overpaid, but guys earn their $ and come up big when needed. Splitter did the first 2 series, and Diaw was valuable all post season, but really shined against OKC/Miami. He's getting like Ginobili money, and he is probably equally as important.

I do like the partially guaranteed for his 3rd year though.

You saying that now bro but we will see later

SPURSFAN1
07-06-2014, 08:28 PM

??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

Maybe if the Rockets could get a good bench instead of complaining every year.

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 08:29 PM

I'll see what later? I'm confused. I know I saw him as a huge advantage on the biggest stages (WCF & Finals)

torocan
07-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Not a good time to get stingy once you have a championship roster. Might be 3mil a little too high but the deal is front loaded so it becomes small in the third year. Imagine if we also get Gasol? Gameover.

Nah, I think the deal was fair considering the critical role that Diaw plays in specific Spurs line ups. He was pretty integral to the OKC and Miami series on both ends of the floor. The ability to play switch defense with Kawhi and not give up significant size and length, combined with his strong front court passing and deep range to pull opposing 4's (like Ibaka) to the perimeter is a unique and hard to find skill set.

Toss in that he can crush smaller players (like Wade) in post up play, and that he has sufficient length and finishing ability to score in traffic and it would be awfully hard to replace him for similar or less money.

Diaw just creates a ton of match up problems once you roll out TD and Leonard.

Diaw when engaged is definitely worth $7M or more. His biggest issue was finding a team where he would be engaged... lucky for him Pops and Co. have managed to make him comfortable so that he could unlock his potential.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Diaw is a versatile, valuable role player... but there is zero question as to whether a back up should be paid 7 mill a year or not, the answer is no.

SPURSFAN1
07-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Diaw is a versatile, valuable role player... but there is zero question as to whether a back up should be paid 7 mill a year or not, the answer is no.

if you saw the thunder series or heat series, he is worth starter money around 14mil a year.

torocan
07-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Diaw started 24 games last year and played 25.0 MPG, the 5th most minutes on the team. He also played the 4th most minutes in the play offs in spite of only starting 3 play off games.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2014.html

Pops doesn't accept your definition of "back up". And the minutes tend to agree...

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Diaw started 24 games last year and played 25.0 MPG, the 5th most minutes on the team. He also played the 4th most minutes in the play offs in spite of only starting 3 play off games.

Pops doesn't accept your definition of "back up". And the minutes tend to agree...

Thank you. Some people don't get it. And to the notion that a "back up" shouldn't be paid that much, well look at the other guy getting a similar $ amount off that bench, in Ginobili.

xxplayerxx23
07-06-2014, 08:50 PM
if you saw the thunder series or heat series, he is worth starter money around 14mil a year.

14 a year? :laugh2:

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 08:51 PM
14 mil is a lot of money.

SPURSFAN1
07-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Guess you didn't see both series then.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Since when is 25 minutes starter minutes for a contender? That's more like 6th man minutes, similar to guys like Crawford/Gibson. He's a back-up in every since of the word. He doesn't start (so literal sense). It doesn't mean he's not more valuable than a guy like say Splitter, but he's definitely a back up and role player. 7 mill is too much.

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Yea that's extreme lol. But Diaw is very valuable to the team, and if SA didn't re-sign him, after his performance in the last few rounds, I'd be willing to be someone would have thrown more $ at him.

SPURSFAN1
07-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Since when is 25 minutes starter minutes for a contender? That's more like 6th man minutes, similar to guys like Crawford/Gibson. He's a back-up in every since of the word. He doesn't start (so literal sense). It doesn't mean he's not more valuable than a guy like say Splitter, but he's definitely a back up and role player. 7 mill is too much.

I think you failed to see the comparisons to his other teammates, not vs an average team.

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Since no one on the Spurs all year played more than 30MPG. You could say all the Spurs players played 6th man minutes. You can't compare to them to how you see other teams operate. They do things far differently than other teams.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Since no one on the Spurs all year played more than 30MPG. You could say all the Spurs players played 6th man minutes. You can't compare to them to how you see other teams operate. They do things far differently than other teams.

This is fair. I forgot how low EVERYBODY's minutes are. I still Diaw could have taken MLE and it would of been more fair.

torocan
07-06-2014, 08:59 PM

It is when nobody on the Spurs plays more than 30 mpg.

Once again, Pops doesn't accept your definition of "starter" minutes.

Top 10 Spurs by MPG

29.4 Tony Parker
29.2 Tim Duncan
29.1 Kawhi Leonard
25.2 Marco Bellinelli
25.0 Boris Diaw

24.3 Danny Green
22.8 Manu Ginobili
21.5 Thiago Splitter
18.9 Patrick Mills
13.8 Cory Joseph

If you're top 5 in minutes on a team, that's not a "back up". When you're only 5 mpg less than the most heavily played player (Tony Parker), that's not a "back up". Unless you're arguing that 4 mpg defines "starter" vs "back up"?

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 09:00 PM
It is when nobody on the Spurs plays more than 30 mpg.

Once again, Pops doesn't accept your definition of "starter" minutes.

Top 10 Spurs by MPG

29.4 Tony Parker
29.2 Tim Duncan
29.1 Kawhi Leonard
25.2 Marco Bellinelli
25.0 Boris Diaw

24.3 Danny Green
22.8 Manu Ginobili
21.5 Thiago Splitter
18.9 Patrick Mills
13.8 Cory Joseph

If you're top 5 in minutes on a team, that's not a "back up". When you're only 5 mpg less than the most heavily played player (Tony Parker), that's not a "back up". Unless you're arguing that 4 mpg defines "starter" vs "back up"?

Still think it was far from a bargain of any sorts.

torocan
07-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Still think it was far from a bargain of any sorts.

I don't think it's a "bargain", I do think it's fair to a little bit cheap.

My reasoning is this... name a single player in the NBA that could be gotten in FA or through trade this year for similar money that serves ALL the roles that Diaw serves on the Spurs? IE, how replaceable is Diaw in terms of a single player?

IE, Size, length, strength, post up play, jump shooting, passing, BBIQ, and ability to switch on defensive assignments at a passable level with Kawhi Leonard

I can't think of anyone in the $7M range. Can you?

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 09:05 PM
This is fair. I forgot how low EVERYBODY's minutes are. I still Diaw could have taken MLE and it would of been more fair.

He could have sure, but SA takes care of their players more times than not. After his performance, it's honestly hard to argue against it. Had he played a sub-par finals, I'd imagine he doesn't get this. But at the end of the day, he was instrumental to them winning a championship. He deserves a nice pay day. And like I said, I honestly think he could have gotten more elsewhere if he really wanted.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't think it's a "bargain", I do think it's far to a little bit cheap.

My reasoning is this... name a single player in the NBA that could be gotten in FA or through trade this year for similar money that serves ALL the roles that Diaw serves on the Spurs? IE, how replaceable is Diaw in terms of a single player?

IE, Size, length, strength, post up play, jump shooting, passing, BBIQ, and ability to switch on defensive assignments at a passable level with Kawhi Leonard

I can't think of anyone in the $7M range. Can you?

He's a unique, jack of all trades type to be sure but I think you're overstating his value a bit.

WS/48 of .120, PER of 14. Good, but not great and as I said for being 32... I think he could of sacrificed a little money. Then again cap space doesn't do much good for a team like the Spurs who will never draw big free agents. They need to keep what they have and build through the draft, so I suppose from that angle I see the need to overpay a bit.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Good player but way too much.

ink
07-06-2014, 09:18 PM

This.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 09:28 PM
BTW we should clarify Diaw is getting 20 million just about in the first two years. So although there is a cheap out in year 3, that's a lot of dough. Patty was brought back for a decent contract though, so maybe it balances out decently.

kdspurman
07-06-2014, 09:33 PM
BTW we should clarify Diaw is getting 20 million just about in the first two years. So although there is a cheap out in year 3, that's a lot of dough. Patty was brought back for a decent contract though, so maybe it balances out decently.

I don't think that's accurate from what I'm reading. I'm seeing the $18.5 is likely the total of the salaries for years 1/2 and the guaranteed portion for the 3rd year.

EDIT: I think Woj just updated what he put.

"The third year of Diaw's deal is partially guaranteed, sources said. Diaw is guaranteed $15.5 million over the first two years of the deal, sources said."

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think that's accurate from what I'm reading. I'm seeing the $18.5 is likely the total of the salaries for years 1/2 and the guaranteed portion for the 3rd year.

EDIT: I think Woj just updated what he put.

"The third year of Diaw's deal is partially guaranteed, sources said. Diaw is guaranteed $15.5 million over the first two years of the deal, sources said."

Oh okay. I just saw 19.5, but I trust Woj of course.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I went over all of the salaries in the NBA and when I got to the 7 million-8 million a year range it was players the caliber of Ariza, Taj Gibson etc. So maybe I jumped the gun on thinking it was high. I think I'm just thinking based on his age that he would/should have signed for less, but it's not out of the league norm as I initially felt.

ChitownSports16
07-06-2014, 09:52 PM
He was a huge for that team. Good for him.

ricky recon
07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Any move by SAS FO is a good one given their track record.

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Thought a $5 million deal was in place. This is a bit overpaid but he was huge for them in the Finals. Won't doubt the Spurs on this one, good for both of them.

nytunnelvision
07-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Don't you need to be over the salary cap to offer the full MLE? So I think this move served that purpose for the Spurs. Front load the money, make sure they're over the cap, and now target Gasol/etc. with the MLE.

Kind of reminiscent of last offseason. IIRC, they gave contracts that seemed a tad high to Splitter (4 yr, $36M) & Ginobli (2yr, $14.5M), but that opened up the MLE for them. Think they split it on Belinelli & Ayers

Jarvo
07-06-2014, 10:12 PM
:dance:

nytunnelvision
07-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Spurs don't have the MLE unless they are over the cap. I believe this move gets them over the cap & opens up the MLE to use on another player.

Chronz
07-06-2014, 10:35 PM
A necessary move, secures depth/versatility. Funny how after paying him, they seek Pau for less$

Spurs always get bargains so they can splurge every now and again

IversonIsKrazy
07-07-2014, 02:41 AM
A bit pricey, but he had the biggest impact on Spurs offense during the finals.

TheNumber37
07-07-2014, 03:10 AM
He's Vital and got paid for a fantastic performance.

If they win again next year no one says this is a bad deal... The 3rd year is partial which should let you know what Duncan is thinking...

Antipod
07-07-2014, 03:35 AM
The ring got him paid :D
Decent player overall, gr8 player in SAS system

SPURSFAN1
07-07-2014, 09:03 AM
3 year 21 million. Even better.