PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Mchale overrated as a coach?

Failure
07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
I can't believe that Melo considered the Rockets and the reasoning is because he thinks Mchale is a good coach. Hes inferior to all the other NBA HCs in Texas. Rockets underperformed because of him. He has no control of his team, isn't very good in the tactical side and looks lost. His only redeeming quality is that he lets the star players do w/e they want and that would appeal to Melo.

He might be the worst Rockets HC in the last decade.

sep11ie
07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Bro, this is a cool story

FOXHOUND
07-06-2014, 09:11 AM
I can't believe that Melo considered the Rockets and the reasoning is because he thinks Mchale is a good coach. Hes inferior to all the other NBA HCs in Texas. Rockets underperformed because of him. He has no control of his team, isn't very good in the tactical side and looks lost. His only redeeming quality is that he lets the star players do w/e they want and that would appeal to Melo.

He might be the worst Rockets HC in the last decade.

It was out of respect of Kevin McHale overall, being that he was one of the 50 best players in league history. Players have a lot of respect for their peers.

waveycrockett
07-06-2014, 09:11 AM
If you can't get out of the 1st round with Harden, Howard and Parsons you are clearly in over your head.

FOXHOUND
07-06-2014, 09:28 AM
If you can't get out of the 1st round with Harden, Howard and Parsons you are clearly in over your head.

Yeah but did McHale shoot .376 from the field on 22.6 FGA and .296 from 3 on 9.0 FGA or Harden? Being that 3 out of 6 of the games went into overtime and Portland won two of those games then my math tells me... James Harden totally blew that series.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2014, 10:44 AM
no chit sherlock

rockets-fan
07-06-2014, 10:51 AM
No he's not overrated lol everyone knows he sucks as a headcoach.

His plays are ISO harden. Post Dwight, get the rebound and shoot the three. Annoying to watch

richardle9
07-06-2014, 10:53 AM
i dont think he is underrated or overrated, he is just simply not a good coach, the entire rockets fan base has been frustrated with him ever since he's been there, no one is over valuing him

J4KOP99
07-06-2014, 10:59 AM
How can you be overrated when nobody considers you to be a good coach?

flea
07-06-2014, 11:13 AM
He's not bad, Rockets fans (like all team fans) just want to use him as a scapegoat for their team's underperformance. Is it McHale's fault that Dwight is not the same defender he once was and he has 3 heavy rotation players, plus his bench shooters, that are all pretty worthless defensively? I don't think so, after all he was smart enough to get Beverly in as much as possible. Is it his fault that Harden is severely lacking as a jumpshooter and that becomes evident in the playoffs when refs don't give him calls as he flops towards the basket? Again, I don't think so.

McHale is running the offensive system that led Dwight's Magic roster to the Finals. The problem is that Dwight can't carry the offensive load like he once could, and both Lin and Harden are ineffective offensively without the ball in their hands. Does McHale have flaws? Sure. He should probably let Parson's play point forward in small ball lineups more (like Turkoglu in Orlando), and he should probably take a dump on Harden's jersey after every game he spends the 4th quarter ball-watching on defense. But he's a relatively green coach with a young team. He's one of the smartest players of all time, he'll be fine.

BenFrank
07-06-2014, 11:18 AM
How can you be overrated when nobody considers you to be a good coach?

This. What a Failure of a Thread ( Pun intended )

Quinnsanity
07-06-2014, 01:21 PM
1. Being inferior to Pop and Carlisle isn't exactly an insult

2. The two favorites right now are coached by Derek Fisher and someone to be named later.

I don't like McHale, but keep these things in mind.

SPURSFAN1
07-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Another first round exit with this coach.

beasted86
07-06-2014, 01:42 PM
He's not bad, Rockets fans (like all team fans) just want to use him as a scapegoat for their team's underperformance. Is it McHale's fault that Dwight is not the same defender he once was and he has 3 heavy rotation players, plus his bench shooters, that are all pretty worthless defensively? I don't think so, after all he was smart enough to get Beverly in as much as possible. Is it his fault that Harden is severely lacking as a jumpshooter and that becomes evident in the playoffs when refs don't give him calls as he flops towards the basket? Again, I don't think so.

McHale is running the offensive system that led Dwight's Magic roster to the Finals. The problem is that Dwight can't carry the offensive load like he once could, and both Lin and Harden are ineffective offensively without the ball in their hands. Does McHale have flaws? Sure. He should probably let Parson's play point forward in small ball lineups more (like Turkoglu in Orlando), and he should probably take a dump on Harden's jersey after every game he spends the 4th quarter ball-watching on defense. But he's a relatively green coach with a young team. He's one of the smartest players of all time, he'll be fine.

+1 on all points.

mightybosstone
07-06-2014, 01:42 PM
It depends on which group is judging him. If we're talking about the general perception of the media and fans, I'd say he's overrated. If we're talking about PSD, he's definitely underrated because of all the hate he gets. If McHale was as bad of a coach as PSD claimed, he'd probably be the worst coach in the league. That isn't the case.

Aust
07-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Hes inferior to all the other NBA HCs in Texas.

To be fair, think about who you're comparing him to.

Rush
07-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Dupe created thread.