PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check: Miami could re-sign Lebron, Bosh and Wade at the max if it wanted to.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 02:44 AM
So... if Miami doesn't sign them at the max, it is 100% a financial issue, trying to stay under the luxury tax. But don't get it twisted; Miami owns the Bird rights to all those guys and is completely free to sign all of them for the max. They can also go further over re-signing all of their other guys, and this could open the door for adding through trades.

So right off the bat, all of this discount Bosh-discount Wade-discount Lebron talk is absurd.

Hey, if Miami wants to be a superteam, then you know what the dealio is. As I understand it, Miami voted for the new CBA.

If Lebron Bosh and Wade were in Los Angeles they would all get paid, boom, no problem. Miami has an epic team based on three superstars, and it is totally ridiculous they talk about getting San Antonio bargains for everybody. LoL they already opted out.

Anyway, again, Miami is 100% free to re-sign Lebron, Wade and Bosh at the max if they want to. So, basically all this "drama" about who will take what discount to "make it all work" is total hogwash. And holding out the possibility of "adding a significant piece" like Lowry in order to get everybody to squeeze in under the cap is a total smokescreen.

Here's an excellent article on nbcsports.com that makes some really good points:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/05/nbas-best-urged-to-take-less-if-they-want-to-win-agents-unions-unhappy-with-trend/related/

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 02:48 AM
Just to make one more point, I am strongly wondering if when Lebron sees Carmelo grabbing that prime cheddar in the prime Los Angeles Hollywood location on the Lakers... grabbing that Laker spotlight at a full max deal and getting ready to look seriously good in deep purple and gold... I'm strongly wondering if Lebron will see what he's missing and that he's missing his chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lebron picked up the phone tonight and was like "wuh wuh wuh... not so fast."

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Right now, the only players deserving of max contracts are LeBron, Durant, and CP3. Anyone else falls under the max contract and that includes; Blake, Aldridge, Westbrook, Harden.

How many players can you honestly say will change the entire team and make them instant contenders? Only three comes to mind. Those are max contract players. NBA players demand way too much and it is why I can't tolerate the game at times.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Right now, the only players deserving of max contracts are LeBron, Durant, and CP3. Anyone else falls under the max contract and that includes; Blake, Aldridge, Westbrook, Harden.

How many players can you honestly say will change the entire team and make them instant contenders? Only three comes to mind. Those are max contract players. NBA players demand way too much and it is why I can't tolerate the game at times.

LoL, as so many have pointed out with Ballmer buying the Clippers for $2 billion, an object is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.

Without the needlessly complex and anti-free market salary cap, all of those players you mentioned would INSTANTLY be offered significantly more than the "max deal." And if they weren't, then that is totally fine also. But everybody should make what people are willing to pay them.

LoL this is big business. Big money. Clippers = $2 billion dollars. Adjust your thinking.

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 02:58 AM
LoL, as so many have pointed out with Ballmer buying the Clippers for $2 billion, an object is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.

Without the needlessly complex and anti-free market salary cap, all of those players would INSTANTLY be offered significantly more than the "max deal."

LoL this is big business. Big money. Clippers = $2 billion dollars. Adjust your thinking.

Adjust my thinking? Clippers selling for $2 billion dollars was a mere business motive to gain fans. The hero of Clippers, the savior who took Donald Sterling out of business. I'm just appalled that you couldn't think outside the box with this one. BTW, just because Clippers sold for $2 billion, doesn't mean the fair value cost is $2 billion.

You're thinking too simplistic. You're partially agreeing with me while also debating against me. I'm simply stating that there are only a small amount of legitimate max contract players while everyone else is not a max contract. If you are paid by your abilities, that stays true. Now, if you overpay for someone, that is another discussion.

As for profitability, do you know how many NBA teams actually LOSE money? Not all NBA teams make money. Look at Nets for example. Is it okay for Joe to get overpaid while a business suffers? That's some pretty biased point of view.

Dade County
07-06-2014, 02:59 AM
I see Miami offering Melo a 2yr deal of 20mil a year, the 2nd yr is a play option opt out (so Melo can go to any team he wants to next year, if he choses to do so).

If Wade & Bosh was going to take 15mil each per year (I said if)... Then all they would have to do is take 10mil the 1st season and then their contracts jump to 20mil the 2nd yr, then it goes back down to 15mil the fallowing seasons (if Nba contracts can even do that).

Ok, now flame me...lmao

Dade County
07-06-2014, 03:00 AM

I actually think only two players deserve the Max right Now, Lbj & KD.

Aust
07-06-2014, 03:13 AM
I see Miami offering Melo a 2yr deal of 20mil a year, the 2nd yr is a play option opt out (so Melo can go to any team he wants to next year, if he choses to do so).

If Wade & Bosh was going to take 15mil each per year (I said if)... Then all they would have to do is take 10mil the 1st season and then their contracts jump to 20mil the 2nd yr, then it goes back down to 15mil the fallowing seasons (if Nba contracts can even do that).

Ok, now flame me...lmao

NBA contracts can't do that.

Dade County
07-06-2014, 03:14 AM
NBA contracts can't do that.

Thank you, I'm going to go to sleep now.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Adjust my thinking? Clippers selling for $2 billion dollars was a mere business motive to gain fans. The hero of Clippers, the savior who took Donald Sterling out of business. I'm just appalled that you couldn't think outside the box with this one. BTW, just because Clippers sold for $2 billion, doesn't mean the fair value cost is $2 billion.

You're thinking too simplistic. You're partially agreeing with me while also debating against me. I'm simply stating that there are only a small amount of legitimate max contract players while everyone else is not a max contract. If you are paid by your abilities, that stays true. Now, if you overpay for someone, that is another discussion.

As for profitability, do you know how many NBA teams actually LOSE money? Not all NBA teams make money. Look at Nets for example. Is it okay for Joe to get overpaid while a business suffers? That's some pretty biased point of view.

well, I agree that many NBA teams wouldn't necessarily be profitable in a vacuum. However, without the CBA, they also wouldn't have a "minimum salary" either, so they would be free to make themselves profitable if they could fiscally manage themselves properly. As it is, 20 or so of the teams are riding on the coattails and cashing in on the gravy train that is the NBA television contract.

But as to the second point, about what something is worth, I suggest an experiment. Go to the best university you can find, find the head of the econ or finance department, or their best professor in those fields. And then ask him or her "what is a stock worth?" Or "what is [any object] worth in terms of dollars?" and then write down the answer. And then look at it for a while, and then think about it.

Saddletramp
07-06-2014, 04:21 AM
But there's a cap on players salaries; there's no cap on to how much someone pays for an NBA team. Bill Gates could dangle $40 billion for the Lakers and the Busses would sell in a second but when you have to fit x number of players into x number of team salary (give or take luxury tax) then the two can't be compared. Gates couldn't then pay LeBron, Durant, CP3, Dwight, Blake, Melo, Westbrook, Love and Harden $20M each to play together.

LeBron and Durant are the only two max guys.

Also, weren't you the guy crying about how bad nbcsports was at reporting stories and news?

beasted86
07-06-2014, 09:28 AM
So... if Miami doesn't sign them at the max, it is 100% a financial issue, trying to stay under the luxury tax. But don't get it twisted; Miami owns the Bird rights to all those guys and is completely free to sign all of them for the max. They can also go further over re-signing all of their other guys, and this could open the door for adding through trades.

So right off the bat, all of this discount Bosh-discount Wade-discount Lebron talk is absurd.

Hey, if Miami wants to be a superteam, then you know what the dealio is. As I understand it, Miami voted for the new CBA.

If Lebron Bosh and Wade were in Los Angeles they would all get paid, boom, no problem. Miami has an epic team based on three superstars, and it is totally ridiculous they talk about getting San Antonio bargains for everybody. LoL they already opted out.

Anyway, again, Miami is 100% free to re-sign Lebron, Wade and Bosh at the max if they want to. So, basically all this "drama" about who will take what discount to "make it all work" is total hogwash. And holding out the possibility of "adding a significant piece" like Lowry in order to get everybody to squeeze in under the cap is a total smokescreen.

Here's an excellent article on nbcsports.com that makes some really good points:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/05/nbas-best-urged-to-take-less-if-they-want-to-win-agents-unions-unhappy-with-trend/related/
Ironically Arison voted against the new CBA, you have it backwards. Stern and the other owners were still salty and designated Miami a "big market" which means Arison has to pay other crappy teams to exist in the league and doesn't get as much revenue sharing from the bigger markets even if under the luxury tax.

chi-townlove1
07-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Can you please just stop talking.

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2014, 09:37 AM
How I'm feeling about this thread right now

http://31.media.tumblr.com/8d66785df81316dd327dfb2ab6dbaf82/tumblr_mnir3quAKH1s8rz3mo1_400.gif

king4day
07-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think the question was ever about whether Miami could pay them all max. It's to add talent around these guys (which can't be done with they are all paid max).
If LeBron and Melo get the max in LA, they are in no better a situation than Miami is.

If Wade and Bosh ask for max, LeBron will be on another team next year.

Animosity
07-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Miami would have to sign all of their guys first or renounce all of their bird rights. LeBron is looking for addition to the current "team" (no one is signed except norris cole and napier). So just giving out all that money isn't very attractive because I don't think the inability to add free agents through out right signing is a selling point.

IndyRealist
07-06-2014, 11:54 AM
The problem is that if they sign the big 3 to max deals (let's just say $60M as a round number), and they have Cole and Napier, they still need to sign 8 more guys and will only have around $15M to do so before they hit the luxury tax. Even if they brought back their entire team, none of those 10 guys outside the big 3 are significant trade assets, and their salaries are so low that Miami will have a hard time taking back players of value and keeping the minimum roster.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't think the question was ever about whether Miami could pay them all max. It's to add talent around these guys (which can't be done with they are all paid max).
If LeBron and Melo get the max in LA, they are in no better a situation than Miami is.

If Wade and Bosh ask for max, LeBron will be on another team next year.

See, but that's the ruse.

Because if Miami maxes out it's 3 star free agents (or I guess wade is giving money back which is ok) plus they sign their other free agents then they will be over the cap and paying luxury tax and possibly repeater tax also.

BUT if you dangle possibility of signing a new, competitive addition to the team, then (hopefully) you can try to get all your existing guys to sign for $10m or whatever under the cap, and then sign a free agent and then you are under the cap. Magic!

But seriously.... How can you expect to have a super team headed by Lebron with 3 all stars and be under the cap? And LoL you try to guilt/pressure Lebron into taking a "discount" or "haircut" so you have "flexibilty."

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 03:54 PM
The problem is that if they sign the big 3 to max deals (let's just say $60M as a round number), and they have Cole and Napier, they still need to sign 8 more guys and will only have around $15M to do so before they hit the luxury tax. Even if they brought back their entire team, none of those 10 guys outside the big 3 are significant trade assets, and their salaries are so low that Miami will have a hard time taking back players of value and keeping the minimum roster.

They have no choice they have to go into luxury tax territory to keep their "superteam."

Dangling the possibility of adding a free agent as an incentive to re-sign everybody under the cap is just a ruse for them to dodge the tax and save money. Right? How can everybody not see this?

At this point it looks more absurd, because there are very few possible free agent additions for them. They can best add by keeping their returning team and paying all their guys, then add an mle or mini-mle guy or whatever they are allowed.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 04:01 PM
But there's a cap on players salaries; there's no cap on to how much someone pays for an NBA team. Bill Gates could dangle $40 billion for the Lakers and the Busses would sell in a second but when you have to fit x number of players into x number of team salary (give or take luxury tax) then the two can't be compared. Gates couldn't then pay LeBron, Durant, CP3, Dwight, Blake, Melo, Westbrook, Love and Harden $20M each to play together.

LeBron and Durant are the only two max guys.

Also, weren't you the guy crying about how bad nbcsports was at reporting stories and news?

You're comparing apples and oranges in some weird way I don't understand.

But, teams CAN go over the salary cap to sign their own guys. Bill Gates (or the billionaire okc owner) could pay Westbrook, Durant and Harden the max if they wanted to. They just can. OKC traded Harden just to save/make an extra $10m a year or whatever, or maybe it's $20m with the (self imposed) luxury tax.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Ironically Arison voted against the new CBA, you have it backwards. Stern and the other owners were still salty and designated Miami a "big market" which means Arison has to pay other crappy teams to exist in the league and doesn't get as much revenue sharing from the bigger markets even if under the luxury tax.

Ok that's interesting, I didn't know that.

I'm guessing they're profitable as a team though, right? And their owner is a billionaire? In Cleveland Gilbert was making $300m in profit just off the industry called Lebron, or so I've read.

Might be a good move to sign Levron for the $23m max and pay Bosh also. But hey, it's a free country. And there are other bidders.

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 04:08 PM
well, I agree that many NBA teams wouldn't necessarily be profitable in a vacuum. However, without the CBA, they also wouldn't have a "minimum salary" either, so they would be free to make themselves profitable if they could fiscally manage themselves properly. As it is, 20 or so of the teams are riding on the coattails and cashing in on the gravy train that is the NBA television contract.

But as to the second point, about what something is worth, I suggest an experiment. Go to the best university you can find, find the head of the econ or finance department, or their best professor in those fields. And then ask him or her "what is a stock worth?" Or "what is [any object] worth in terms of dollars?" and then write down the answer. And then look at it for a while, and then think about it.

The fact stays that owners lose money. Look at Amare. He's getting paid top dollar, good for him. What does the owner have that can protect themselves from liabilities like Amare? They don't. The same should work for players. These players have a contract that doesn't affect them in such a case they start sucking on the court. They still get paid. If you work as an accountant, you will get fired if you mess up and not handle your statements correctly. These NBA do NOT get faulted. They get their money, screw the team over, and that's that. NBA players are vastly overpaid when you account for the fact that a shooter like Meeks got $6 million to shoot wide open threes. He's not a good rebounder, defender, passer, just a player who can shoot threes. There are very few who if you evaluate their price based on production, that actually deserve their contract. James, Durant, Chandler Parsons. Do you think Wade deserves $18 million a year? No, but he probably can get $18 million. Shall I bring up Andrew Bynum - who didn't do jack but got paid handsomely?

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 04:13 PM
The fact stays that owners lose money. Look at Amare. He's getting paid top dollar, good for him. What does the owner have that can protect themselves from liabilities like Amare? They don't. The same should work for players. These players have a contract that doesn't affect them in such a case they start sucking on the court. They still get paid. If you work as an accountant, you will get fired if you mess up and not handle your statements correctly. These NBA do NOT get faulted. They get their money, screw the team over, and that's that. NBA players are vastly overpaid when you account for the fact that a shooter like Meeks got $6 million to shoot wide open threes. He's not a good rebounder, defender, passer, just a player who can shoot threes. There are very few who if you evaluate their price based on production, that actually deserve their contract. James, Durant, Chandler Parsons. Do you think Wade deserves $18 million a year? No, but he probably can get $18 million. Shall I bring up Andrew Bynum - who didn't do jack but got paid handsomely?

LoL nobody forces teams to sign these players and everybody understands that some assets under perform. That's just business, and these owners are billionaires and make it work. Losses or costs always equal less taxes. Team values keep going up and up. Etc

It's really the salary cap that causes the tension. Otherwise nyc would just waive Amare and sign someone else. And I do like the idea of one year contracts only and everybody is a free agent every year. But I'm guessing you would'nt like that idea either.

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 04:23 PM
LoL nobody forces teams to sign these players and everybody understands that some assets under perform. That's just business, and these owners are billionaires and make it work. Losses or costs always equal less taxes. Team values keep going up and up. Etc

It's really the salary cap that causes the tension. Otherwise nyc would just waive Amare and sign someone else. And I do like the idea of one year contracts only and everybody is a free agent every year. But I'm guessing you would'nt like that idea either.

Lol. You don't understand the business aspect of things so I'm not going to fault you for not knowing what many others don't as well. Nobody forces them to sign the players and that's why owners are protecting themselves just like players are out there looking for the best paycheck. Not every owner is a billionaire and not every owner is making money. At least half the teams out there are losing money and most of them only made a profit because they purchased their franchise for much less than what it is worth now. That's not to say they aren't losing money funding their operations. The top teams pool a lot of their revenue to keep these other low earning teams up and running. Losses or costs doesn't always equal less taxes, I don't know who told you that. It can lower your taxes but it gets more complicated than just that. By your logic, a player can get max from someone who thinks he's worth it but an owner shouldn't do the same? NBA is different than other employment opportunities out there. If you suck, you suck. Try working anywhere else with that idea and you'll be fired by the higher chain of employees. I just hate seeing players get paid millions to hog up a salary cap and then underperform. Really kills it for me.

Btw, Micky Arison has said countless times that he loses money with the Big Three. They generate a lot of revenue so I'm sure he's not including all that but generally, Micky does lose money keeping the Big Three. He's also said that he does it because it's a hobby of his.

DemarDerozan
07-06-2014, 04:25 PM
The Heat earned 188 million dollars in revenue last year according to Forbes. They spent 90 million dollars on player expenses.

Mickey Arison somehow still complains about losing money. He purchased the Heat for $32 million in 1988 and it's now worth $770 million. Lebron and Wade have everything to do with it. I'm am not a superfriends fan but can understand where the trio would be pissed about not getting Max money. Pat Riley is a slimeball who is taking advantage of his players in order to impress his boss.

Say what you will about the Lakers. But they reward loyalty. That's why Kobe got such a fat retirement contract. If any of the big three are getting screwed here it's DWade. I don't like him... But he's paid his dues, stuck with his team through thick and thin and won Championships with two completely different squads. Arison and Riley are what's wrong with basketball.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-heat/

Cal827
07-06-2014, 04:29 PM

:laugh: Nope

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 04:32 PM
:laugh: Nope

Look at Paul's W/S and PER for his career. He is a max type of player.

naps
07-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Just to make one more point, I am strongly wondering if when Lebron sees Carmelo grabbing that prime cheddar in the prime Los Angeles Hollywood location on the Lakers... grabbing that Laker spotlight at a full max deal and getting ready to look seriously good in deep purple and gold... I'm strongly wondering if Lebron will see what he's missing and that he's missing his chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lebron picked up the phone tonight and was like "wuh wuh wuh... not so fast."

Are you THAT desperate for LeBron? LOL

Reality check for you: No superstar wants to play with Kobe. Shaq didn't want. Dwight didn't want. Neither will Melo or LeBron IMO. They are smart enough not to associate themselves with someone who is getting paid 50 millions in 2 years at 36. Not to mention the ever-known sharing ball (or lack there of) stuff.

FlashBolt
07-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Are you THAT desperate for LeBron? LOL

Reality check for you: No superstar wants to play with Kobe. Shaq didn't want. Dwight didn't want. Neither will Melo or LeBron IMO. They are smart enough not to associate themselves with someone who is getting paid 50 millions in 2 years at 36. Not to mention the ever-known sharing ball (or lack there of) stuff.

Yeah, I find it funny that people really think LeBron is taking Lakers seriously - including all these Lakers fans who think James cares about that spotlight. He could have went to NYK and took endorsements to another level not seen since Jordan.

GodsSon
07-06-2014, 04:40 PM
It's in LeBron's best interests to not re-sign in Miami.

As currently constructed, their championship window has come and gone.

naps
07-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I find it funny that people really think LeBron is taking Lakers seriously - including all these Lakers fans who think James cares about that spotlight. He could have went to NYK and took endorsements to another level not seen since Jordan.

The same Kobe fans that want LeBron now will back on hating him when he signs with Miami or another team other than the Lakers. Ironic stuff.

CavsYanksDuke
07-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Reality check: We already knew that.

The entire idea of the opt out discussion was for them to add additional talent which the majority of has already been signed by other teams. If the Miami Heat were to give Dwayne Wade a max contract at his age and condition it would be the one of the worst financial and strategic decisions possibly in the history of the NBA.

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 06:09 PM
What about the rest of the roster?

Saddletramp
07-06-2014, 10:53 PM
You're comparing apples and oranges in some weird way I don't understand.

But, teams CAN go over the salary cap to sign their own guys. Bill Gates (or the billionaire okc owner) could pay Westbrook, Durant and Harden the max if they wanted to. They just can. OKC traded Harden just to save/make an extra $10m a year or whatever, or maybe it's $20m with the (self imposed) luxury tax.

What are you talking about? You said a person/entity is/are worth what people will pay for them. That's not true with NBA contracts. There's a cap and a limit. Sure, the OKC guy coulda shelled out money for Harden but he didn't feel that was worth it to delve into the luxury but a number of other teams would have in a heartbeat. And the Rockets gave up pieces and money to do it. He was worth the max for the Thunder but not with two other max guys and the luxury tax looming.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 11:04 PM
What are you talking about? You said a person/entity is/are worth what people will pay for them. That's not true with NBA contracts. There's a cap and a limit. Sure, the OKC guy coulda shelled out money for Harden but he didn't feel that was worth it to delve into the luxury but a number of other teams would have in a heartbeat. And the Rockets gave up pieces and money to do it. He was worth the max for the Thunder but not with two other max guys and the luxury tax looming.

Well, ask yourself, what is a salary cap? It is an artificial cost ceiling imposed by the NBA collective to limit player values that would otherwise go higher.

We can dispute whether some teams paying more for superstars in a free market would be getting good value or making smart decisions (some would, some would'nt) but there is no doubt that owners would be willing to pay more.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Reality check: We already knew that.

The entire idea of the opt out discussion was for them to add additional talent which the majority of has already been signed by other teams. If the Miami Heat were to give Dwayne Wade a max contract at his age and condition it would be the one of the worst financial and strategic decisions possibly in the history of the NBA.

Yeah, but the magic of the Heat's ploy is that in order for them to "add pieces" everything has to be UNDER the cap and thus under the luxury tax at the end of the day.

Whereas in reality, a two time championship team with two legit max superstars + DWade + valuable vets and role players simply HAS to go into luxury tax territory.

As somebody above pointed out, Arison is making a nice profit on his player salary outlay, and his investment has appreciated like 2000%.

So if they are asking Lebron (or Bosh) to take a "haircut" theyre simply not for real.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-06-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't understand why they would all opt out and then sign contracts that would bring them under the cap but just enough that it pretty much equals what they would have been able to use with a mid level exception. If things go as reported, they will all make less money than they already were due, and they will be able to add a $5 to $7 million dollar player. The same player they could have gotten with a mid level exception. They opted out to save a billionaire some money on luxury taxes. lol That's the definition of idiocy.

Wade and Bosh need to play for $10 each and Lebron for $15 if they want to sign quality free agent. Only problem is that they are waiting too long to sign their deals which makes it impossible for Riley to tell a free agent what he is going to pay them. If they are going back, they need to hurry

IndyRealist
07-07-2014, 12:43 AM
They have no choice they have to go into luxury tax territory to keep their "superteam."

Dangling the possibility of adding a free agent as an incentive to re-sign everybody under the cap is just a ruse for them to dodge the tax and save money. Right? How can everybody not see this?

At this point it looks more absurd, because there are very few possible free agent additions for them. They can best add by keeping their returning team and paying all their guys, then add an mle or mini-mle guy or whatever they are allowed.

They literally can't add the kind of players that will matter because they will hit the tax line with no tradable assets. And once you hit the tax line (actually a little above it) you can no longer accept players in sign and trades, even if it would lower your salary. You lose various exceptions. It becomes extremely hard to add players once you're at the line, and Miami will be there just bringing back their own players.

When you said in the first post "Miami owns the Bird rights to all those guys and is completely free to sign all of them for the max. They can also go further over re-signing all of their other guys, and this could open the door for adding through trades" you were incorrect.