View Full Version : Melo considering going to LA

cutiepie80
07-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Is this a ploy for New York to give the absolute max

He really wants to go to LA

He is trying to make a S&T happen to go to Chicago

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 02:30 AM
ny isn't doing this it's espn first it was the bulls then the rockets now it's the lakers

FOXHOUND
07-06-2014, 02:33 AM
"Sources"

rocket
07-06-2014, 02:33 AM
"Sources"

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 02:35 AM
it's always been completely obvious that there were only two possible max destinations for Carmelo: Los Angeles and New York.

The Chicago think is completely hairbrained. Even if they amnestied Boozer, which reportedly they definitely refuse to do, they would still be asking Carmelo to take a $7M+ a year paycut.

Seriously, WHO the heck out there actually thought that was a "real possibility"? LoL at every new story that said Chicago offered Carmelo "his best chance to contend for a title".

WHAT?? Does anybody see Chicago contending for anything? Seriously. They got bounced out of the East in the first round like nothing, and that is the Eastern conference. That means they'd probably have < 25 wins in the West.

Honestly, New York has upped its game considerably. Phil Jackson is making moves and you can see the feeling is different now. If anything, NEW YORK is by far the preferable destination over Chicago if Carmelo is actually serious about winning.

Of course combining Carmelo with Kobe and Randle and Pau is competitive right for the first second, and Carmelo won't have to deal with the Amare nonsense or Phil trying to lowball him in the media etc.

slaker619
07-06-2014, 02:42 AM
I see the #Knicks getting aggressive and keeping Melo unless the bulls pull a S&T

phen0m
07-06-2014, 02:55 AM
it's always been completely obvious that there were only two possible max destinations for Carmelo: Los Angeles and New York.

The Chicago think is completely hairbrained. Even if they amnestied Boozer, which reportedly they definitely refuse to do, they would still be asking Carmelo to take a $7M+ a year paycut.

Seriously, WHO the heck out there actually thought that was a "real possibility"? LoL at every new story that said Chicago offered Carmelo "his best chance to contend for a title".

WHAT?? Does anybody see Chicago contending for anything? Seriously. They got bounced out of the East in the first round like nothing, and that is the Eastern conference. That means they'd probably have < 25 wins in the West.

Honestly, New York has upped its game considerably. Phil Jackson is making moves and you can see the feeling is different now. If anything, NEW YORK is by far the preferable destination over Chicago if Carmelo is actually serious about winning.

Of course combining Carmelo with Kobe and Randle and Pau is competitive right for the first second, and Carmelo won't have to deal with the Amare nonsense or Phil trying to lowball him in the media etc.

can't tell if troll or retrded

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-06-2014, 03:00 AM

The Bulls were the 4th seed without Rose. They literally had no offense the last 2 seasons, yet managed to make the playoffs as a top 5 seed and beat a more talented Nets teams last year. Assuming Rose returns to form and you add Melo, you're talking about adding AT LEAST 50 ppg to probably the best defensive team in the league. If you're still not sold, then you're just delusional.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2014, 03:06 AM
no sauces no thread

Aust
07-06-2014, 03:16 AM
The Bulls were the 4th seed without Rose. They literally had no offense the last 2 seasons, yet managed to make the playoffs as a top 5 seed and beat a more talented Nets teams last year. Assuming Rose returns to form and you add Melo, you're talking about adding AT LEAST 50 ppg to probably the best defensive team in the league. If you're still not sold, then you're just delusional.

Top 5 seed in the East isn't saying much.

NYKNYGNYY
07-06-2014, 03:33 AM
This is like being on a break with ur girl watchin her hang out with other dudes...at the point were I'm like oh dam is she gonna start bangin that guy??

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 03:56 AM

Ok, first, let me tell you what Chicago has ever won without Michael Jordan. Hint: It starts with JACK SQUAT!!

Second, delusional? How about all these people who think that Carmelo will sign a 4 year deal at $16M, when he can get appx $25M a year from the Knicks for FIVE YEARS.

In case your counting, that's, hmmmmmm, let me see. $9M + $9M + $9M + $9M + $25M = $61 MILLION DOLLARS less if he signs with Chicago. Or $36M less if they max him out in year 5.

Oh, and that's IF the Bulls owner was willing to amnesty Carlos Boozer. Which it is painfully obvious they will NEVER do, because that would be like an extra $16M to their salary expense right off the top (and unprotected from the phony "salary cap"). So, in other words that is money that they COULD spend, but they just won't.

But even if they DID, do you really expect Melo to take a $61 million dollar "haircut"? What a laugh.

And don't even get me started on how "championship competitive" the Bulls are. LoL they got absolutely run by the Wizards, and oh yeah it sure looked the Wizards offense was just having its way with the awesome Chicago defense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that series didn't look like a big defensive victory for them.

Of course we all hope that Rose can get back on the court after missing two years. He is super fun to watch play. But c'mon, selling Carmelo the Bulls as a "championship team" is just LoL funny.

Sorry I am not trying to be nasty or anything, but I am just a bit fed up with all these weird NBA free agency narratives that have been floating around unchallenged for 3 months.

loyalChiTownFan
07-06-2014, 03:56 AM
Top 5 seed in the East isn't saying much.

what does not making the playoffs in the east say? even when you have your susperstar player playing games...

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 03:59 AM
what does not making the playoffs in the east say? even when you have your susperstar player playing games...

Knicks would have been more dangerous than the Bulls if they had made the playoffs. It's conceivable they could've been good enough to beat either the Bulls OR a first round Indiana.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 04:00 AM
I mean let's be honest, the Bulls weren't going to hurt a fly in the playoffs, even in the East, which was incredibly soft this year. Indiana absolutely backed into the ECFs that was complete joke. So, any team that couldn't even credibly compete in that tournament is just nowhere near championship caliber.

loyalChiTownFan
07-06-2014, 04:27 AM
Knicks would have been more dangerous than the Bulls if they had made the playoffs. It's conceivable they could've been good enough to beat either the Bulls OR a first round Indiana.

nobody expected them to do anything in the playoffs let alone even make the playoffs especially after trading deng. for them to still with the talent they had make it to the playoffs and be competitive over the last 2 years and actually win a first round series speaks volumes for this team. now if ny would have made the playoffs without melo wait. wait. they did not make it even with him so what makes you think they could have done more damage than the bulls? which still is not even saying much...

loyalChiTownFan
07-06-2014, 04:30 AM
delusional is the word of the day people...delusional

Kashmir13579
07-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Genuinely.... **** melo.

Kashmir13579
07-06-2014, 05:44 AM
I hope to God we sign and trade him to Chicago for the Mack deal. 130 mil. in return Jimmy Butler, picks, and any chance chicago has At winning a championship. Poor Noah though. I really like him.

Kashmir13579
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Melo can't get his team to the playoffs, in the East.... in the weak ********** east. Melo is a scrub. Bottom line. Anyone who doesn't know otherwise gained their hoop knowledge from Michelle Beadle, got bless her beautiful soul. /rant go **** yourself psd

Kashmir13579
07-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Final word from drunk 551am kash... as much as I root against CHitown.... thay, as an organization, as a franchise, AS A BRAND, are inherently BETTER than melo. They deserve better than Melo.. **** melo. Hopefully he goes to LA and fails hard. I'm out. G/nite. Loves you all.. except melo. **** that guy.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Lol this guy, ah noose hurting much???
Dont hate on my city just because your team sucks test's kiddie!!!

Kashmir13579
07-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Lol this guy, ah noose hurting much???
Dont hate on my city just because your team sucks test's kiddie!!! Oh and what city am I hating on, exactly.? I don't even know what team you root for. But you know what? I hope to god he gets traded to whatever the ******* team you like. Just so I can watch you suffer real slow like. Wu tang style.

Kashmir13579
07-06-2014, 06:33 AM
And so what If my team suckss. Show some respect to a real fan unlike half of you divs. Mic drop ....

cheetos185
07-06-2014, 06:38 AM
If Melo ever wanted to switch teams it would be because he wants scoring help on Chicago there is nobody to help out on offensive end.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2014, 07:07 AM
And so what If my team suckss. Show some respect to a real fan unlike half of you divs. Mic drop ....

L.A. Foo my team rules the NBA even when we don't win the ship. What now??? Dont make us go Rodney O and Joe Cooley on you NY fans

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2014, 07:10 AM
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rodney+o+and+joe+cooley+****+nrw+york&view=detail&id=AAE077FF43F126A98E3C440C1C77ACF6B7D00374&first=1

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Oh and what city am I hating on, exactly.? I don't even know what team you root for. But you know what? I hope to god he gets traded to whatever the ******* team you like. Just so I can watch you suffer real slow like. Wu tang style.

Final word from drunk 551am kash... as much as I root against CHitown.... thay, as an organization, as a franchise, AS A BRAND, are inherently BETTER than melo. They deserve better than Melo.. **** melo. Hopefully he goes to LA and fails hard. I'm out. G/nite. Loves you all.. except melo. **** that guy.

Melo can't get his team to the playoffs, in the East.... in the weak ********** east. Melo is a scrub. Bottom line. Anyone who doesn't know otherwise gained their hoop knowledge from Michelle Beadle, got bless her beautiful soul. /rant go **** yourself psd

I hope to God we sign and trade him to Chicago for the Mack deal. 130 mil. in return Jimmy Butler, picks, and any chance chicago has At winning a championship. Poor Noah though. I really like him.

:drunk::laugh::drunk:

3ballbomber
07-06-2014, 07:34 AM
i cannot wait until all of this is over and Lebron & Melo make their choices.

elledaddy
07-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Sooo last year w/o Rose and Melo, Chicago averaged 93 points per game. So now we insert Rose and Melo, and they WILL ADD ATLEAST 50 POINTS per game like you say and POOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

THE CHICAGO BULLS NOW AVERAGE 140 POINTS PER GAME!!!!!!. Seems bout right, go BULLS

FOXHOUND
07-06-2014, 09:21 AM
The Knicks missing the playoffs had zero to do with Melo. The Knicks outscored the opposing team with Melo on the floor in 43 of 76 games, a win % of 56.6%. Melo led the NBA in MPG at 38.7 MPG. So for the 9 minutes and 18 seconds a game Melo didn't play the Knicks could not hold the lead in enough games to have a respectable record despite doing well when Melo was on the court, and he was on the court more than any other player in the NBA.

When Melo was off the court the Knicks got outscored by an average of 8.1 points per 48 minutes. On the court they was a +1.6/48, a differential of +9.7. That's one of the best in the NBA despite Melo being surrounded by crap even when he was on the court.

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Pause

FOXHOUND
07-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Pause

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

KnicksFan4Years
07-06-2014, 09:41 AM
As I wrote in the Knicks forum, I tHink Melo wants Chicago but Jackson will not play along Unless the deal is extremely favorable to NY.

Melo's people are threatening with this Lakers stuff to try to pressure Jackson into taking Boozer but Jackson says no and Bulls owner doesn't want to amnesty him and pay Melo max.

If Melo was about NY and he got his market value where he v wanted and Knicks offered max, he would have Given verbal agreement vm at that meeting. Not take weekend to make decisions and his people release these rumors.

If Melo comes back to NY it will be about the money. Period.

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2014, 09:44 AM
As I wrote in the Knicks forum, I tHink Melo wants Chicago but Jackson will not play along Unless the deal is extremely favorable to NY.

Melo's people are threatening with this Lakers stuff to try to pressure Jackson into taking Boozer but Jackson says no and Bulls owner doesn't want to amnesty him and pay Melo max.

If Melo was about NY and he got his market value where he v wanted and Knicks offered max, he would have Given verbal agreement vm at that meeting. Not take weekend to make decisions and his people release these rumors.

I agree with this, that's why Melo can kick rocks

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2014, 09:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

Lol

ChitownSports16
07-06-2014, 09:52 AM
This is like being on a break with ur girl watchin her hang out with other dudes...at the point were I'm like oh dam is she gonna start bangin that guy??

Lol

ChitownSports16
07-06-2014, 09:54 AM

This is what I think is going in right now.

BcEuAbRsS
07-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Agreed with everything except Jerry is willing to amnesty Boozer, he just can't because they then lose an option for paying Melo more. Lots of posturing from everyone right now, gotta see who blinks first.

cssdmark
07-06-2014, 10:29 AM
If I am Phil and I am not, I let Melo's people know that the max is only good thru Monday after that he will have to go to LA for their max or less money in a Houston or Chicago. No more games it is time to MAN UP and make a decision so all parties involved can move on.

goose14741
07-06-2014, 10:42 AM

I've realized I thought this way too many times throughout this process haha

cssdmark
07-06-2014, 10:48 AM
I do not believe Melo is posturing to get a S&T, I think this is all about attention and ego, just like the decision, I am hoping this trend will end when these crop of stars are gone. It is never like this in football, there is never a fanfare the players just sign with the team they want to be with or for the money and it is done.

hugepatsfan
07-06-2014, 10:54 AM
I do not believe Melo is posturing to get a S&T, I think this is all about attention and ego, just like the decision, I am hoping this trend will end when these crop of stars are gone. It is never like this in football, there is never a fanfare the players just sign with the team they want to be with or for the money and it is done.

Star players are more important in basketball than football. Much, much more important. Also, in the NFL roster movement is always happening. There's always the understanding that the roster you're signing onto will change dramatically. In the NBA, player movement is much more difficult because of the structure of the cap. So when these star players sign on with a team, they want to hear the long term plan so they know they have a chance to win. You don't have to worry about that as much in football because teams can always get better. The draft yield legit talent all the way through (unlike the NBA where if you get a solid backup in the late 20s it's a steal). You can cut players to create cap space in the NFL to add proven players. Can't do that in the NBA.

ManningToTyree
07-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Can we at least link the crap sources in the OP for these threads? If someone made a thread for every speculative melo thought this would be the Melo Forum

chitown85
07-06-2014, 11:21 AM
can't tell if troll or retrded

Hahaha. Careful brother the NBA forum is SUPER sensitive....but Hahaha haha.

cssdmark
07-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Star players are more important in basketball than football. Much, much more important. Also, in the NFL roster movement is always happening. There's always the understanding that the roster you're signing onto will change dramatically. In the NBA, player movement is much more difficult because of the structure of the cap. So when these star players sign on with a team, they want to hear the long term plan so they know they have a chance to win. You don't have to worry about that as much in football because teams can always get better. The draft yield legit talent all the way through (unlike the NBA where if you get a solid backup in the late 20s it's a steal). You can cut players to create cap space in the NFL to add proven players. Can't do that in the NBA.

I understand but I look at it from the psychological point of view, had to dust off my degree. Lebron did not have his father and I think that whole decision fiasco. Was about look at me, you did not want me but look everyone else does. Melo is different, Melo is very secure. At the beginning of the season before the Knicks had a terrible record coming off a 50 plus win season Melo was stating I cannot wait to be a free agent, he wanted to be courted, he saw the Hoopla for Lebron and Howard and said to himself if everyone is going to fall all over themselves for them let's see what happens when I am a free agent, all ego driven. Lebron needed to be withe D. Wade because he needed a man in his life to help him resolve those daddy issues which now have been resolved. Lebron you can tell was really impacted by D. Wade and you can tell by his statement he made for D. Wades b-day. Melo is a different animal. Again the a Knicks were a two seed the prior season and without playing a game last year he was already talking about free agency not knowing whether the Knicks would suck or contend, it was definitely a ego thing. Now Melo is like I deserve the supermax yet people keep talking about me taking a paycut, he is like I am worth every Penney. Melo wanted to be in NYC because it was to be in the biggest market, the biggest city that is an ego thing.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Agreed with everything except Jerry is willing to amnesty Boozer, he just can't because they then lose an option for paying Melo more. Lots of posturing from everyone right now, gotta see who blinks first.

Yep.

AntiG
07-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I'd be really surprised if Chicago lands Melo, why would the Knicks do a sign and trade for less talent and continue to be cap-strapped + some low 1st round picks; and why would Melo not take close to the max unless its a "sure thing" why when the Miami trio got together? Its not realy logically. He can resign with the Knicks for the absolute max, or walk to a Phoenix or LA for the FA max. Its one thing to take a couple million less but its a whole other issue when its a large amount annually.

If I were in the Knicks shoes, I'd be telling Chicago, no deal unless it either 1) includes Rose or Noah in the deal (which would never happen); or 2) the Bulls have to find a way to structure a complicated trade that includes them taking in Amare, the Knicks not taking Boozer, and have third and fourth teams that would eat all that salary in the process. Otherwise, good luck trying to sign Melo for significantly less than the max.

If they amnesty Boozer, then go ahead and get Melo in a sign-and-trade deal, but the Knicks should only do it for multiple firsts otherwise Chicago can go ahead and compete with the Knicks and LA for the max contract. Either way, if I'm the Knicks, don't make a panic move, as long as they are smart they have all of the leverage.

Oh, and by the way, I'm no Knicks homer either, I'm a Celtics fan.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I would be really surprised if Melo ends up in Chicago too. Its not impossible, but I would be surprised as well.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 11:50 AM
LA makes sense, because they can pay him, he likes it in LA (already has a house there), still a big market without the TRASH weather, and I truly believe its an upgrade over NY.

MiamiBoy77
07-06-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd be really surprised if Chicago lands Melo, why would the Knicks do a sign and trade for less talent and continue to be cap-strapped + some low 1st round picks; and why would Melo not take close to the max unless its a "sure thing" why when the Miami trio got together? Its not realy logically. He can resign with the Knicks for the absolute max, or walk to a Phoenix or LA for the FA max. Its one thing to take a couple million less but its a whole other issue when its a large amount annually.

If I were in the Knicks shoes, I'd be telling Chicago, no deal unless it either 1) includes Rose or Noah in the deal (which would never happen); or 2) the Bulls have to find a way to structure a complicated trade that includes them taking in Amare, the Knicks not taking Boozer, and have third and fourth teams that would eat all that salary in the process. Otherwise, good luck trying to sign Melo for significantly less than the max.

If they amnesty Boozer, then go ahead and get Melo in a sign-and-trade deal, but the Knicks should only do it for multiple firsts otherwise Chicago can go ahead and compete with the Knicks and LA for the max contract. Either way, if I'm the Knicks, don't make a panic move, as long as they are smart they have all of the leverage.

Oh, and by the way, I'm no Knicks homer either, I'm a Celtics fan.

Similar to when Lebron and bosh came to Miami and Cleveland and Toronto did S&Ts, if you 100% know you are losing him, he has already decided, then why wouldn't you take whatever compensation the other team is willing to give you if it can help for the future.

Of course jimmy butler and 2 1sts is not worth Carmelo, but if it came to either jimmy and 2 1sts or nothing, I'll take the package.

cssdmark
07-06-2014, 12:02 PM
LA makes sense, because they can pay him, he likes it in LA (already has a house there), still a big market without the TRASH weather, and I truly believe its an upgrade over NY.

I would agree except for that Kobe contract which comes off in two years unlike Amare and Bargs that comes off in one. Neither the a Lakers or Knicks are ready to compete for a championship with Melo on their team this year, so why wait two years when you can wait one, get more money, be in a market that is just as great. The
Lakers and Bulls and a Knicks have not won a championship since Phil has left their organization, maybe there is a reason for that, just speculating.

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
If the Knicks straight up lose Melo and with A'mare's money coming off the books with the other expiring contracts why would they persue any sign and trade unless it was going to be a guy they want in there for more than just one season? They are going to have a ton of money to play with next offseason. Let Melo walk and see how masterful Phil is in building a team from scratch. I mean, that is the reason they're paying him like 12 million a year right? Surely it's not just to convince Melo to stay and ask Pau to come over.

NYSpirit1
07-06-2014, 12:49 PM
If Melo went to the Lakers, they'd probably suck. I have no idea why he would ever go there. He's essentially wasting two more years of his prime and he'll be 32 before the Lakers could even remotely do anything.

Kobe is old as dirt and probably sucks now. He has played 6 games since April of 2013. First the achilles, then the knee. If you think this guy is coming back to score anything more than 18 a game, you're kidding yourself.

Carmelo wants to win a title -- and if this report is true -- he would be five times farther than winning a title with the Knicks. Of ALL the teams he could go to, this is the one he would least have the opportunity to win a title, in the rugged West. They won what, 24 games last year?

Rockets? Makes sense. Bulls? Makes sense. Even though I'd consider him a loser for ditching NY after just 3 years, those spots he can actually win in.

LA? Not at all.

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2014, 12:56 PM
If the Knicks straight up lose Melo and with A'mare's money coming off the books with the other expiring contracts why would they persue any sign and trade unless it was going to be a guy they want in there for more than just one season? They are going to have a ton of money to play with next offseason. Let Melo walk and see how masterful Phil is in building a team from scratch. I mean, that is the reason they're paying him like 12 million a year right? Surely it's not just to convince Melo to stay and ask Pau to come over.

That's why I'm hoping he goes to LA

chitown85
07-06-2014, 01:30 PM
If Melo went to the Lakers, they'd probably suck. I have no idea why he would ever go there. He's essentially wasting two more years of his prime and he'll be 32 before the Lakers could even remotely do anything.

Kobe is old as dirt and probably sucks now. He has played 6 games since April of 2013. First the achilles, then the knee. If you think this guy is coming back to score anything more than 18 a game, you're kidding yourself.

Carmelo wants to win a title -- and if this report is true -- he would be five times farther than winning a title with the Knicks. Of ALL the teams he could go to, this is the one he would least have the opportunity to win a title, in the rugged West. They won what, 24 games last year?

Rockets? Makes sense. Bulls? Makes sense. Even though I'd consider him a loser for ditching NY after just 3 years, those spots he can actually win in.

LA? Not at all.

LA would be more of a lifestyle choice than an "I want to win now choice." Agree with a lot of what you said. No question though, best chance to win is in the easy East with the Bulls...guaranteed a playoff spot (with or without Rose). And, I don't even love the idea of Melo...I am okay with it/and would take it...but don't love the idea of gutting our team and paying him a max contract tbh.

beliges
07-06-2014, 01:53 PM
LA would be more of a lifestyle choice than an "I want to win now choice." Agree with a lot of what you said. No question though, best chance to win is in the easy East with the Bulls...guaranteed a playoff spot (with or without Rose). And, I don't even love the idea of Melo...I am okay with it/and would take it...but don't love the idea of gutting our team and paying him a max contract tbh.

Chicago would be the easiest place to contend.right away given the team and the atrocious eastern conference. However if kobe is healthy, a team of kobe , melo and Pau will contend right away as well. Melo will have a great chance to win in LA with a healthy kobe/Pau no doubt.

Aust
07-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Chicago would be the easiest place to contend.right away given the team and the atrocious eastern conference. However if kobe is healthy, a team of kobe , melo and Pau will contend right away as well. Melo will have a great chance to win in LA with a healthy kobe/Pau no doubt.

Not even close. That might fly in the East, but not in the West.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2014, 02:04 PM

LA? Not at all.

Knicks is back!!!

NYSpirit1
07-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Taking a 'lifestyle' choice goes against everything he's ever said in the past few years. Plus, he probably likes NYC better than LA anyway. The whole thing doesn't make any sense.

If he wants to be loyal and true and try to finish what he started, he should stay in NY. If he's going to be disloyal and leave, he may as well pick Chicago because that's the best chance to win.

LA makes no sense. Laker fans get upset when you pick on Kobe, but facts are he averaged 12 points a game last year hobbling around for six games before he left for the season. He's not the same guy and Melo is essentially walking into the same situation as NY, no real sidekick.

DarkKnight
07-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Trash weather can you say earthquake ? Landslide ? Lmao

lakerboy
07-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Outside of the money, there is really no reason for Carmelo to stay in New York. The Knicks are perennial losers in this league. They have nothing to offer this year, and they can only start to rebuild next year. There are even talks that Phil wanted Melo to take a paycut. LMAO. Why would he take a paycut to join a dysfunctional team.

The Lakers on the other hand can make the playoffs next year, and even go to the finals if Melo takes some pay cut. When Randle becomes a ROY candidate (a huge possibility), Lakers will get tons of offers for trades next year.

hugepatsfan
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Outside of the money, there is really no reason for Carmelo to stay in New York. The Knicks are perennial losers in this league. They have nothing to offer this year, and they can only start to rebuild next year. There are even talks that Phil wanted Melo to take a paycut. LMAO. Why would he take a paycut to join a dysfunctional team.

The Lakers on the other hand can make the playoffs next year, and even go to the finals if Melo takes some pay cut. When Randle becomes a ROY candidate (a huge possibility), Lakers will get tons of offers for trades next year.

lol so delusional. The Lakers have very little possibility of making the playoffs next year in the West. And they won't even have cap space to build with next year because of Kobe's deal.

L8kers4life
07-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Have you ever been LA? You brought up landslides like people worry about them or something in LA. And earthquakes are natural disasters they don't affect the weather.

Aust
07-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Because those happen all the time, right? :laugh2:

HoodedSB
07-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Landslide? In the middle of the most severe drought CA has had in over a decade? Earthquakes? lol.

More like, wildfires.

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 02:50 PM

LA? Not at all.

For the reason that I got crucified on here for saying, to have more fame in the glitz of Hollywood. To make his wife happier. If he goes to LA it's not because he's automatically going to win a championship. It's not like Melo teams have gone far in the playoffs. How many first and second round exits does he have now? Kobe isn't guaranteed to be the Kobe of old. The same with Rose in Chicago.......who knows? If a guy like Melo goes to LA or Chicago with two health risks coming back as the team's other great player he is taking a giant risk himself of wasting more of his prime and basically being in the same situation as in New York except in a different location. Sure if he goes to LA his wife will be happy but his legacy will be shot because those are wasted years and before he knows it he will be like Karl Malone and latching onto a ready made team when he's over the hill just to get that ring.

championships
07-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Lmao. The longer he stays in NY the more he is "wasting" his prime and career.
When was the last time the Knicks won anything? 1972?

Ahahahaha

championships
07-06-2014, 02:58 PM
When was the last time the Knickerbocker won a playoff series? Lmao

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 03:07 PM
lol so delusional. The Lakers have very little possibility of making the playoffs next year in the West. And they won't even have cap space to build with next year because of Kobe's deal.

BOOM! :clap:

championships
07-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Taking a 'lifestyle' choice goes against everything he's ever said in the past few years. Plus, he probably likes NYC better than LA anyway. The whole thing doesn't make any sense.

If he wants to be loyal and true and try to finish what he started, he should stay in NY. If he's going to be disloyal and leave, he may as well pick Chicago because that's the best chance to win.

LA makes no sense. Laker fans get upset when you pick on Kobe, but facts are he averaged 12 points a game last year hobbling around for six games before he left for the season. He's not the same guy and Melo is essentially walking into the same situation as NY, no real sidekick.If he likes NYC better than L.A. then how come he stays in L.A. in the off season? You know he owns a home in L.A. right? Knick fans trying to come up with any BS they can come up with. Nice imagination guys.

NYSpirit1
07-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Hmm.. last year? AKA sooner than the Lakers have?

The Lakers are NOT making the playoffs next year even with Melo. It'll be Melo and the losers. Sure, Randle could be good, but the Lakers are stuck because of Kobe's atrocious contract. While Duncan and Dirk are taking $10 million a year, Kobe took $25 million, when he sucks now.

Get used to being terrible for the next five years, your run is over. Actually it ended four years ago.

HYFR
07-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Go home you're drunk

wizardsfan3
NY fans getting nervous he might actually leave Hahahaha

lakerboy

Ahahahaha

The last time the Knicks won a championship, Phil Jackson was still playing.
HAHAHAHHAHA

chitown85
07-06-2014, 03:27 PM

You obviously have never lived in Cali...those things are over hyped...NYC weather is garbage compared to LA weather; and he must like LA; he bought a house there after all...

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 03:29 PM

Ahahahaha

Their goal is to reach 50 years.

Iron24th
07-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Hmm.. last year? AKA sooner than the Lakers have?

The Lakers are NOT making the playoffs next year even with Melo. It'll be Melo and the losers. Sure, Randle could be good, but the Lakers are stuck because of Kobe's atrocious contract. While Duncan and Dirk are taking $10 million a year, Kobe took $25 million, when he sucks now.

Get used to being terrible for the next five years, your run is over. Actually it ended four years ago.

When did you see kobe suck? During his 6 games tenure last year?

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
The last time the Knicks won a championship, Phil Jackson was still playing.
HAHAHAHHAHA

your right and the next one he brings us will be with him as the prez:cheers:

NYKNYGNYY
07-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Deep down he knows what he wants to do idk what's taking him so long....if he leaves New York he'll never be welcome back he knows that n I think that's the only thing keeping him from fleeing already he's a New Yorker he dosnt wanna be ousted from his home town

He stays I'm happy we'll most likely make the playoffs now that we have a capeable point guard in the weak weak east....

He leaves I'll never forgive him for making us get ridda all those picks and players when he dips in 3 years...which would be so hard because I've been a fan of melo since the cuse days

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
He probably ends up going to Miami after all this. The place that we all couldn't possibly see him going because of financial reasons. The tour he's on is to get wined and dined. LeBron did the same thing. Hit all the cities got pampered with everyone rolling out the red carpet but all along he was with the Heat. Just wanted to feel the experience of being a high profile free agent.

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
You obviously have never lived in Cali...those things are over hyped...NYC weather is garbage compared to LA weather; and he must like LA; he bought a house there after all...

lmao who gives a fuq about the weather:laugh:

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-06-2014, 03:34 PM

La is better than new York in almost everything.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 03:35 PM

LA is a better city than NYC...matter of opinion but Chicago and LA are both better cities..

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 03:35 PM
When did you see kobe suck? During his 6 games tenure last year?

Sort of like Rose's ten games.

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:37 PM
La is better than new York in almost everything.

yeah if your a gang banger:laugh:

DarkKnight
07-06-2014, 03:39 PM

:laugh: I'm still laughing about Chicago and LA are better than NYC :laugh:

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:40 PM
LA is a better city than NYC...matter of opinion but Chicago and LA are both better cities..

Chicago sux but la's cool only because of all of the legal weed out there :smoking:

DarkKnight
Colors:laugh:

colinskik
Landslide? In the middle of the most severe drought CA has had in over a decade? Earthquakes? lol.

More like, wildfires.

Hey genius,

Droughts increase the likelihood of landslide when it does rain because the soil is so dry that it can't hold. :facepalm:

Not to mention experts are predicting a big quake. And oh yeah, wildfires too!

DarkKnight
07-06-2014, 03:42 PM
What was the topic of this thread ? Jk

ChitownSports16

Lol what??? And NY isn't full of gang bangers? Lol

Aust
Can't we all just get along?

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Colors:laugh:

that's wrong:laugh:

DarkKnight
07-06-2014, 03:43 PM

:cheers:

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Lol what??? And NY isn't full of gang bangers? Lol

yeah but we don't shoot each other over wearing certain colors that shyts ********

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 03:46 PM

fine :sigh:

NYKNYGNYY
07-06-2014, 03:47 PM
All u guys r just makin Knicks n lakers fans look retarted

ChiCubs39
07-06-2014, 03:49 PM
What a great thread. So much interesting discussion going on

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2014, 03:58 PM

The mayor of Chicago

http://www.xxlmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/chief_keef_gun.jpg

chitownbulls
07-06-2014, 04:03 PM
yeah but we don't shoot each other over wearing certain colors that shyts ********

No need to bring up crips and blood in a sports forum..

chitownbulls
07-06-2014, 04:04 PM
The mayor of Chicago

alright

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 04:10 PM
No need to bring up crips and blood in a sports forum..

your right I was just responding to dudes post imo all gangs are fkn stupid

east fb knicks
07-06-2014, 04:12 PM
The mayor of Chicago

:laugh2::crying:

chitown85
07-06-2014, 04:18 PM
What part of its a matter of opinion was complicated to comprehend...Jesus. I personally hate NYC as a place to live, and would never want to live there (and yes I have had the option)...fun to visit tho;) But, again its a matter of opinion...

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 04:22 PM
nobody expected them to do anything in the playoffs let alone even make the playoffs especially after trading deng. for them to still with the talent they had make it to the playoffs and be competitive over the last 2 years and actually win a first round series speaks volumes for this team. now if ny would have made the playoffs without melo wait. wait. they did not make it even with him so what makes you think they could have done more damage than the bulls? which still is not even saying much...

That's just an excuse. What kind of real title contender mails in their season just for the heck of it?

And dumping Deng was just a salary cutting measure.

Chicago has Noah and a decent coach, so they can be gritty little contenders in the Eastern playoff picture for a while, but I wouldn't hold ur breath waiting for them to win a title. It's been 15 years and they look a lot like Cleveland. In fact if Chicago had Cleveland's roster Carmelo or even Lebron might actually go there

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 04:47 PM
They don't even have a coach, maybe that is part of the deal he can be the player coach and bench Kobe so he can get more shots.

Verbal Christ
07-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Melo will go wherever his wife allows him to go LOL

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 05:13 PM
No truer statement was ever said.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Haha. Very true. Single people don't understand that...yet;) Three great cities to choose from IMO; plenty of shopping, fine dining, and activities! And, all big markets (LA, Chicago, NYC). Still kinda expect him to stay in NY if I had to bet on it...

likemystylez
07-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Haha. Very true. Single people don't understand that...yet;) Three great cities to choose from IMO; plenty of shopping, fine dining, and activities! And, all big markets (LA, Chicago, NYC). Still kinda expect him to stay in NY if I had to bet on it...

if his wife wants to be with a winner- he goes to the bulls. the knicks and lakers are 4 or 5 yrs away from being a threat to do anything

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
It is definitely NY or the Lakers.

likemystylez
07-06-2014, 05:43 PM
It is definitely NY or the Lakers.

LOL-so melo has no interest in winning at all? after all that talk about taking less to win- he isolates himself to the two teams who will be in the lotto next yr.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 05:49 PM
if his wife wants to be with a winner- he goes to the bulls. the knicks and lakers are 4 or 5 yrs away from being a threat to do anything

Preaching to the choir...But, I could see Melo liking the idea of being the toast of LA. He already owns property there, so again he obviously likes the city...and people downplay environment too much on here...a lot of athletes take the city they are/their family is living in under consideration. If LaLa hates Chicago, don't see the Bulls having a chance in hell, is the point. But, it's all hush hush and smokescreens at this point. We will know soon!!:)

beliges
07-06-2014, 05:51 PM
LOL-so melo has no interest in winning at all? after all that talk about taking less to win- he isolates himself to the two teams who will be in the lotto next yr.

Lakers with a healthy melo/kobe/Pau can easily contend for a title. It's really dependent on kobe. If he can come back and play the way he did the season he got injured, Lakers can undoubtedly beat any team with a melo/kobe/Pau tandem.

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 05:52 PM
What was the topic of this thread ? Jk

I believe it was weather patterns in Gotham, Chi-Town and La-La Land.

HoodedSB
07-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Hey genius,

Droughts increase the likelihood of landslide when it does rain because the soil is so dry that it can't hold. :facepalm:

Not to mention experts are predicting a big quake. And oh yeah, wildfires too!

But it DOESN'T rain in southern california, mr. geologist. There probably won't even be a storm in the next 4-5 whatever years melo would sign onto, hence why is stupid for him to be worried about landslides like that poster suggested. He made it seem like landslides are a daily concern for CA residents, but in reality they are easily avoidable by, you know, not living on or next to a hillside.

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Hearing New Yorkers talk like they know what's going on in California is quite humorous. The myth about riding your surf board to school is a myth too just in case some were wondering.

likemystylez
07-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Preaching to the choir...But, I could see Melo liking the idea of being the toast of LA. He already owns property there, so again he obviously likes the city...and people downplay environment too much on here...a lot of athletes take the city they are/their family is living in under consideration. If LaLa hates Chicago, don't see the Bulls having a chance in hell, is the point. But, it's all hush hush and smokescreens at this point. We will know soon!!:)

No enviornment is important, i get that. but a player in melos situation. Hes about to sign his last big contract as a tier one superstar. He has never won a ring and never really been on a contending team (I know denver had one decent yr). while enviornment is important- this is really his last chance to get on board with a team serious about winning. It just seems to me that there are too many question marks with the lakers and the knicks.

Now if melo said to the knicks- OK i will re sign IF and only if Lebron james and Kevin love are there as well.... or said to the lakers something like- I want two other all nba team members signed through the next few years.

But is he gonna sign with the knicks to run with jose calderon and tim hardaway jr? or with the lakers to play with 45 yr old kobe bryant and rob sacre?

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 05:56 PM

Finally...... a voice of reason from above.

likemystylez
07-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Lakers with a healthy melo/kobe/Pau can easily contend for a title. It's really dependent on kobe. If he can come back and play the way he did the season he got injured, Lakers can undoubtedly beat any team with a melo/kobe/Pau tandem.

1st of all- I dont know about that. The west is really tough- and there is no gaurentee that kobe and pau will return to their 2010 form. THAT is an enormous IF- for a guy in melos situation. Id feel more comfortable if kobe had already come back and returned to form

chitown85
07-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Hearing New Yorkers talk like they know what's going on in California is quite humorous. The myth about riding your surf board to school is a myth too just in case some were wondering.

The fact that they made "Colors" references on top of that smh...is even more laughable:) I wonder how many times these people have actually spent any extended period of time in LA. Gang references? Really? West Hollywood has tons of gangsters...;)

Hotone1401
07-06-2014, 06:06 PM
1st of all- I dont know about that. The west is really tough- and there is no gaurentee that kobe and pau will return to their 2010 form. THAT is an enormous IF- for a guy in melos situation. Id feel more comfortable if kobe had already come back and returned to form

Well Kobe has been rumored to be doing his "blackout" training regimen once again (the same one he did the offseason before his record breaking year of 2006-2007). Nobody will know if he is ever gonna be the same athletically and it's likely that he won't but I am confident the man will sharp as ever and deadly in the post.

I only wish I could have seen those 3 together in the triangle under Phil. The post play from all 3 players would have been amazing to watch. I have my concerns if they were to sign Melo in that Kobe may still be relied onto do the majority of the ball handling.

I'm really not going to get too excited about this because these are just rumors.

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
He should go to LA for the LOL'z.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Well Kobe has been rumored to be doing his "blackout" training regimen once again (the same one he did the offseason before his record breaking year of 2006-2007). Nobody will know if he is ever gonna be the same athletically and it's likely that he won't but I am confident the man will sharp as ever and deadly in the post.

I only wish I could have seen those 3 together in the triangle under Phil. The post play from all 3 players would have been amazing to watch. I have my concerns if they were to sign Melo in that Kobe may still be relied onto do the majority of the ball handling.

I'm really not going to get too excited about this because these are just rumors.

I agree with about 80% of this...yes it would have been. As sharp as ever? Quantified how...what are the metrics for that? I have always been a Kobe fan...never hated him/always have respected his drive and competitive spirit. But, I anticipate he will be a shell of his former self...competent, competitive, and a leader? Sure. It will take more than a banged up older Kobe, a 33 year old beaten up Gasol, and Melo to take the West.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2014, 06:17 PM
The fact that they made "Colors" references on top of that smh...is even more laughable:) I wonder how many times these people have actually spent any extended period of time in LA. Gang references? Really? West Hollywood has tons of gangsters...;)

Yeah gangbanging gaysters lol

chitown85
07-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Yeah gangbanging gaysters lol

Hahahaha

likemystylez
07-06-2014, 06:31 PM

just too many ifs for a 30 yr old with no rings yet. If he were 24 or 25- id say go for it- but if he wants to win- he cant pick the lakers- he doesnt know what the roster will look like, who the coach will be, what system will be in place, if kobe will be the same, if pau will re sign. The lakers need to get their act together- and maybe in 4 or 5 yrs they could go after him once they figure out what theyd like to accomplish

Chi StateOfMind
07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
I thought Melo said he wants to win a ring. Going to LA goes against everything that revolves around winning.

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 06:43 PM

I've lived in both New York and California so I know for sure about the thug life that goes on in New York. Like New York is free of rape, crime and other types of violence. West Hollywood with Jack rollin in his 5.0

chitown85
07-06-2014, 06:46 PM
I thought Melo said he wants to win a ring. Going to LA goes against everything that revolves around winning.

Yes. I see it like this:

NYK:Money/comfort (already established there)
LAL:Lifestyle/Money
CHI:Guaranteed playoff spot/less money

Any of these three options are feasible, and when you sift through all the posturing, it really is this simple^

chitown85
07-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I've lived in both New York and California so I know for sure about the thug life that goes on in New York. Like New York is free of rape, crime and other types of violence. West Hollywood with Jack rollin in his 5.0

Spent ample time in both...so have perspective as well. People that have no idea about a city and have to resort to 80's gangster flicks for perspective about a place should really think twice about responding in pure ignorance. Jack capping those fools!!;)

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 06:53 PM

That's because he's full of crap and has always been. If he seriously wanted to win now the three best options are Houston, Dallas and Chicago. The Lakers are a mess and aren't going to turn it around in one season. Geez, even if Kobe were the Kobe we know him to be are we honestly supposed to believe he won't clash with another Alpha Male? Kobe deferring to Melo at the end of the game or vice versa.......BULL****! He's going back to New York because he's not going to take any less than a max contract. He's 30, not 25 so his big payday in now for his prime years. Phil will try his best to make some trades or bring in some pieces but even if they are a 50 win team they are not winning a championship or even getting out of the east. Show me one significant positive difference than with last years team who couldn't even overtake Atlanta for the 8th spot when Atlanta was sucking tit for the final month and half of the regular season. If you were really serious about winning now you wouldn't have even listened to Phils pitch because this next season is a lost season just because of A'Mare's final year that nobody will take off their hands which is basically 20 million or so. If Melo gets a max that's almost 23 he will make next season unless he takes less the first season and backloads which could become an albatross contract in like three years.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 06:57 PM
That's because he's full of crap and has always been. If he seriously wanted to win now the three best options are Houston, Dallas and Chicago. The Lakers are a mess and aren't going to turn it around in one season. Geez, even if Kobe were the Kobe we know him to be are we honestly supposed to believe he won't clash with another Alpha Male? Kobe deferring to Melo at the end of the game or vice versa.......BULL****! He's going back to New York because he's not going to take any less than a max contract. He's 30, not 25 so his big payday in now for his prime years. Phil will try his best to make some trades or bring in some pieces but even if they are a 50 win team they are not winning a championship or even getting out of the east. Show me one significant positive difference than with last years team who couldn't even overtake Atlanta for the 8th spot when Atlanta was sucking tit for the final month and half of the regular season. If you were really serious about winning now you wouldn't have even listened to Phils pitch because this next season is a lost season just because of A'Mare's final year that nobody will take off their hands which is basically 20 million or so. If Melo gets a max that's almost 23 he will make next season unless he takes less the first season and backloads which could become an albatross contract in like three years.

I am inclined to agree with all of this.

SILVER SEAVER
07-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Spent ample time in both...so have perspective as well. People that have no idea about a city and have to resort to 80's gangster flicks for perspective about a place should really think twice about responding in pure ignorance. Jack capping those fools!!;)

The Warriors and New Jack City stereotypes unless you end up in Compton then it's literally Boyz in the Hood. , California will have a big earthquake someday, it's inevitable but living in New York with those f-ing hurricanes ain't nothing, less they forget about those.

FriedTofuz
07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
People act like Melo going to LA wouldnt put Melo into the position to contend. I do admit that going to chicago would be the best option to win immedialy as the bulls are top 4 team in the east and with melo could easily surpass the heat.

chitown85
07-06-2014, 07:09 PM
People act like Melo going to LA wouldnt put Melo into the position to contend. I do admit that going to chicago would be the best option to win immedialy as the bulls are top 4 team in the east and with melo could easily surpass the heat.

I actually like the Lakers. But, I don't see it bro. The West is just too stacked and there are too many question marks. No team offers the chance of winning (especially in the East) like Chicago does. Really all about the money, which I believe that is what is about until he chooses otherwise.

FYL_McVeezy
07-06-2014, 07:25 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Realest rant ever!!!!!!

In all honesty I'm never been the biggest Melo fan, always was very critical of him for all of his faults...but I would like him to return. If he leaves I won't cry about it.....

Now if I were a Heat fan and LBJ walks then I would pretty much cry hysterically if he left( I don't think there any chance in hell he leaves FWIW)

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 07:27 PM
So Melo to NY?

chitown85
07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
So Melo to NY?

I think so. Follow the money.

Sssmush
07-06-2014, 11:37 PM
At the very least, hiring Phil Jackson in New York gives Carmelo a reasonable excuse to go for the max money with the Knicks. Phil dumped Felton and Chandler, got a couple second round picks and a backup PG, so hey things are turning around now, right? So Carmelo can go for the fattest possible payday in Nyc and still say it's because he wants to win, to build something together with Phil.

For the record I do think Phil will build something good in nyc eventually if he doesnt get the rug jerked out from under him. Their psychology has already started to change. The only question is if nyc can stand a winner.

L8kers4life
07-07-2014, 12:11 AM

This is the worst post I ever read, quit talking **** about the Lakers you do realize they are the only team to have a championship in 3 decades right. Kobe can defer, especially now, he has even said so, I can see if you are talking about a alpha male that has never won anything, but kobe has won as the second alpha and the first, so everything you say is irrelevant. If he comes to the lakers the lakers will build a championship caliber team around him like they always do.
But don't tell me Kobe, Melo, Randle and Pau is not a good core you make it sound like it's trash.

colinskik
07-07-2014, 12:45 AM
But it DOESN'T rain in southern california, mr. geologist. There probably won't even be a storm in the next 4-5 whatever years melo would sign onto, hence why is stupid for him to be worried about landslides like that poster suggested. He made it seem like landslides are a daily concern for CA residents, but in reality they are easily avoidable by, you know, not living on or next to a hillside.

When people say it doesn't rain in LA they don't mean it literally. You do know that, right? Right?

Plus, I don't know where Melo's house is in LA, but most of the nicer places are located in or around some sort of hills. So even though it's not something to worry about daily, the weather-related destruction and natural disasters are certainly a concern, especially for the wealthier homes in the area. Denying that is just plain dumb.

east fb knicks
07-07-2014, 12:46 AM

it wouldn't:facepalm:

likemystylez
07-07-2014, 01:09 AM
At the very least, hiring Phil Jackson in New York gives Carmelo a reasonable excuse to go for the max money with the Knicks. Phil dumped Felton and Chandler, got a couple second round picks and a backup PG, so hey things are turning around now, right? So Carmelo can go for the fattest possible payday in Nyc and still say it's because he wants to win, to build something together with Phil.

For the record I do think Phil will build something good in nyc eventually if he doesnt get the rug jerked out from under him. Their psychology has already started to change. The only question is if nyc can stand a winner.

Its ironic and I know its not what knicks fans want to hear- but the knicks might be better off letting melo go and building from scratch rather than try to put together a contender over night and just winding up with a 5th or 6th seed in the east and a 1st round exit.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Maybe he likes to face real competition in a professional basketball league. :shrug: Crazy I know but not everybody wants to stack a team in the weakest conference in NBA history to all but guarantee a finals birth...... Maybe he wants a challenge.

I love everyone's reasoning. "The west is too tough" I hope all of you using this logic don't call Lebron a coward for teaming up because that would make you a hypocrite.

Kashmir13579
07-07-2014, 01:17 AM
The Knicks missing the playoffs had zero to do with Melo. The Knicks outscored the opposing team with Melo on the floor in 43 of 76 games, a win % of 56.6%. Melo led the NBA in MPG at 38.7 MPG. So for the 9 minutes and 18 seconds a game Melo didn't play the Knicks could not hold the lead in enough games to have a respectable record despite doing well when Melo was on the court, and he was on the court more than any other player in the NBA.

When Melo was off the court the Knicks got outscored by an average of 8.1 points per 48 minutes. On the court they was a +1.6/48, a differential of +9.7. That's one of the best in the NBA despite Melo being surrounded by crap even when he was on the court. Should i be surprised by any of those numbers? There is no offensive rhythm when Melo isn't getting the ball at the elbow or the top of the key. If his shot isn't falling, players do the exact same thing they do when his **** is falling - stand there and watch him jack up shots.

When you lead the league in usg%, you need to distribute as well as score. Melo has the ability to do this, I've seen him do this, just never consistantly. Same thing with defense. Anecdotaly, we often won the games where melo took a noticeably agressive aproach to drawing the double and finding shooters or amare in the paint. That's an inherent flaw in Melos game that is very real. Some people know it, some dont.

I was obviously under the influence when I posted all that jibberish. I would gladly take a motivated properly coached/utilized Melo back on the knicks. if his head was in the right place it could be special. The thing is melo has never had anyone say "no" to him before. He avoids situations like these. People lose their jobs so Melo can get his way. That's why I would also happily take the money and run on a s&t. That's what I ultimately think should and will happen with the zen master running things.

Aust
07-07-2014, 01:58 AM

You need a lot more than just him, which is tough if he and Kobe are taking up so much of your cap.

shep33
07-07-2014, 02:00 AM
I think the moral of the story is that Melo shouldn't be getting 20+ mill a year from anyone.

Although I can't judge him for taking a max, because I would do the same

TDE
07-07-2014, 02:57 AM
When people say it doesn't rain in LA they don't mean it literally. You do know that, right? Right?

Plus, I don't know where Melo's house is in LA, but most of the nicer places are located in or around some sort of hills. So even though it's not something to worry about daily, the weather-related destruction and natural disasters are certainly a concern, especially for the wealthier homes in the area. Denying that is just plain dumb.

Yo, when is the last time you heard of a celebrity suffer from a natural disaster such as a landslide? That's like us saying NY is not the place to be because NY is the biggest terrorist target, very unlikely that Melo would find himself in any of those circumstances.

TDE
07-07-2014, 03:00 AM
NY & LA are two of the best cities to live in the world, Im sure he would find it easy to live in either city. In my humble opinion, he's more concerned about money & a chance to win than debating about landslides and terrorist.

Can u imagine Melo saying "I would've chosen the Lakers but the gangsters there were the deal breaker." lol

cahawk
07-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Melo is a shooter, a scorer and a better player than kobe now.
But kobe will never let anyone else be the star, controls the ball & would limit Melo's touches.
If Melo was playing with a Magic or Lebron it would be great, but kobe....not so much.

east fb knicks
07-07-2014, 03:46 AM
NY & LA are two of the best cities to live in the world, Im sure he would find it easy to live in either city. In my humble opinion, he's more concerned about money & a chance to win than debating about landslides and terrorist.

Can u imagine Melo saying "I would've chosen the Lakers but the gangsters there were the deal breaker." lol

good post:laugh:

east fb knicks
07-07-2014, 03:48 AM
Melo is a shooter, a scorer and a better player than kobe now.
But kobe will never let anyone else be the star, controls the ball & would limit Melo's touches.
If Melo was playing with a Magic or Lebron it would be great, but kobe....not so much.

agreed I thought harden and melo would be a bad fit but kobe and melo:puke:

amos1er
07-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Melo will come to LA... Book it...

amos1er
07-07-2014, 03:55 AM
agreed I thought harden and melo would be a bad fit but kobe and melo:puke:

Don't hate bro.

east fb knicks
07-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Don't hate bro.

lmao im not hating I love melo and kobe I think they are both great players but their games don't mesh lmao at simple minded nba fans who only look at the big name and not the team us knicks fans know this very well Tyson amare melo was a horrible fit even our current prez said it

east fb knicks
07-07-2014, 04:06 AM
Maybe he likes to face real competition in a professional basketball league. :shrug: Crazy I know but not everybody wants to stack a team in the weakest conference in NBA history to all but guarantee a finals birth...... Maybe he wants a challenge.

I love everyone's reasoning. "The west is too tough" I hope all of you using this logic don't call Lebron a coward for teaming up because that would make you a hypocrite.

that was a brutally honest post bro I never did look at it like that I still think he comes back home but if he really went their for harder comp I couldn't be mad at that even tho they still wouldn't make the playoffs with no c pg coach or bench

amos1er
07-07-2014, 04:46 AM
lmao im not hating I love melo and kobe I think they are both great players but their games don't mesh lmao at simple minded nba fans who only look at the big name and not the team us knicks fans know this very well Tyson amare melo was a horrible fit even our current prez said it

**** it... After last season I'm willing to try anything. Can't get any worse and with Jim Buss running things, Melo is much more than I would have ever hoped for.

east fb knicks
07-07-2014, 04:52 AM
**** it... After last season I'm willing to try anything. Can't get any worse and with Jim Buss running things, Melo is much more than I would have ever hoped for.

meh I guess if you look at it like that why not but lowry would have been perfect for you guys

amos1er
07-07-2014, 06:09 AM
meh I guess if you look at it like that why not but lowry would have been perfect for you guys

Don't I know it, but I don't have very high expectations anymore with Jim at the helm now. I was actually hoping for that trade to go down involving Klay. Then dump Nash, resign Pau and sign Stephenson and Bosh. Oh well, I am willing to settle for Melo. Lol.

shauneazy
07-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Melo and Kobe would be awesome to watch. I don't know why everyone says "they'll have the most shots out of anyone" or "their games don't mesh" I guess you're right. I guess watching them play on the US team showed they didn't mesh. Kobe is an NBA guru. I'm sure he understands that he's in the twilight of his career and needs some help. He's not going to let his arrogance stop him from winning. People need to realize that for most of these guys careers they've been the focal point of their team and their chances of winning strictly rode on their shot-making ability. Of course they jacked up a ton of shots - who else was going to do it?

I think with Kobe's guidance this duo, and alongside Gasol (if he signs if Melo goes to LA like reports say he will) this team could make some noise. They're not going to be god awful like some people are trying to make them out to be.

clehmun
07-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Melo and Kobe would be awesome to watch. I don't know why everyone says "they'll have the most shots out of anyone" or "their games don't mesh" I guess you're right. I guess watching them play on the US team showed they didn't mesh. Kobe is an NBA guru. I'm sure he understands that he's in the twilight of his career and needs some help. He's not going to let his arrogance stop him from winning. People need to realize that for most of these guys careers they've been the focal point of their team and their chances of winning strictly rode on their shot-making ability. Of course they jacked up a ton of shots - who else was going to do it?

I think with Kobe's guidance this duo, and alongside Gasol (if he signs if Melo goes to LA like reports say he will) this team could make some noise. They're not going to be god awful like some people are trying to make them out to be.

I agree. When was the last time Kobe played with an offensive player as good as Carmelo? Kobe "worked" with Shaq, and that was the Shaq and Kobe in their primes with clashing egos. It's a different story now, and if it worked then it would work now (purely from sharing the ball standpoint).

Kobe and Dwight didn't work because Dwight wanted to dominant the ball and be the 1b option to kobe's 1a but he was a poor offensive player and couldn't even post up and get the ball. Kobe wasn't going to let a 2nd or 3rd tier offensive player share his shots. Melo is different. Kobe respect's Melo's offensive talent, and will be more willing to let Melo control that side of the ball.

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2014, 07:56 AM

I booked it first brah

cssdmark
07-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Only if Phil keeps playing games, maybe he is trying to grt him to LA.

Mave1002
07-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Thank you.

likemystylez
07-07-2014, 09:30 AM

2 times a year, once to play the clippers and once to play the lakers. The question is- what team will he play for the bulls or knicks

YAALREADYKNO
07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
i thought LA was the favorites to sign him when this all began. A Kobe Bryant who is coming off an injury is still more attractive than going back to a new york team who's 2nd best player is a way overpaid amare stoudamire

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't think anyone is saying that a team with Marshall/Kobe/Melo/Randle/Pau will be "God awful." That's a pretty good starting 5. However, the West is STACKED and that team would have nothing but vet min players on the bench. No one in the West is getting worse out of the teams that made the playoffs last year. And as for the teams that didn't make it, DEN and NO each made moves to improve (Afflalo and Asik). PHX is looking to imrpve as well. Even if the Lakers stay completely healthy they're no guarantee to make the playoffs. And is betting on fully healthy years for Pau and Kobe a good bet at this point? And in the future there's no guarantee to get better either. Kobe, Melo, Pau and Randle would combine for close to $60 million on next year's cap. Plus if they stretch Nash like they have to in order to re-sign Pau after adding Melo he'd also be counting about $3 mil on their cap. That doesn't leave enough room to add another superstar - just a decent role player. Plus Kobe and Pau will be another year older. The Lakers also don't have a 1st round pick (going to PHX, top 5 protected, in the Nash deal). The West isn't going to get any easier in the near future either.

In NY, Melo won't be on a great team year 1 but they have more flexibility under the cap to get better next year. And just in general I trust Phil Jackson more than the guys calling the shots in LA. They also play in the East which makes it a lot easier to build a contender. NY is a comparable market to LA and Melo wouldn't have to move his family cross country. And to top it all off, Melo is leaving a lot of money on the table if he leaves NY for LA.

I'm not trying to rip the Lakers but I really just don't see any reason why Melo would go there over NY. It would make no sense to me. CHI makes sense from a basketball standpoint but he's leaving a lot of money on the table in that case. He'd have a better chance to win but if Rose can't stay healthy then that goes out the window. Injuries can happen anywhere but I think at this point you have to look at Rose as more of a risk than usual in that regard. HOU also makes some sense but I don't like the fit there that much. I don't think that team would be able to win the West. I think that on paper, NY makes the mose sense for Melo.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't think anyone is saying that a team with Marshall/Kobe/Melo/Randle/Pau will be "God awful." That's a pretty good starting 5. However, the West is STACKED and that team would have nothing but vet min players on the bench. No one in the West is getting worse out of the teams that made the playoffs last year. And as for the teams that didn't make it, DEN and NO each made moves to improve (Afflalo and Asik). PHX is looking to imrpve as well. Even if the Lakers stay completely healthy they're no guarantee to make the playoffs. And is betting on fully healthy years for Pau and Kobe a good bet at this point? And in the future there's no guarantee to get better either. Kobe, Melo, Pau and Randle would combine for close to $60 million on next year's cap. Plus if they stretch Nash like they have to in order to re-sign Pau after adding Melo he'd also be counting about $3 mil on their cap. That doesn't leave enough room to add another superstar - just a decent role player. Plus Kobe and Pau will be another year older. The Lakers also don't have a 1st round pick (going to PHX, top 5 protected, in the Nash deal). The West isn't going to get any easier in the near future either.

In NY, Melo won't be on a great team year 1 but they have more flexibility under the cap to get better next year. And just in general I trust Phil Jackson more than the guys calling the shots in LA. They also play in the East which makes it a lot easier to build a contender. NY is a comparable market to LA and Melo wouldn't have to move his family cross country. And to top it all off, Melo is leaving a lot of money on the table if he leaves NY for LA.

I'm not trying to rip the Lakers but I really just don't see any reason why Melo would go there over NY. It would make no sense to me. CHI makes sense from a basketball standpoint but he's leaving a lot of money on the table in that case. He'd have a better chance to win but if Rose can't stay healthy then that goes out the window. Injuries can happen anywhere but I think at this point you have to look at Rose as more of a risk than usual in that regard. HOU also makes some sense but I don't like the fit there that much. I don't think that team would be able to win the West. I think that on paper, NY makes the mose sense for Melo.

Cosigned, except: With or without Rose; if Melo comes to Chicago they make the playoffs. Silly to think otherwise.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Cosigned, except: With or without Rose; if Melo comes to Chicago they make the playoffs. Silly to think otherwise.

Oh of course. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But can CHI win a title with Melo if Rose went down? (backup PG)/Butler/Melo/Gibson/Noah... can that team win a title? Not so sure. The East is weak enough that they might compete for a Finals appearence with their great D and coach but I'm not so sure that they'd have a great shot at winning. Melo is only even considering the paycut he'd have to take to go to CHI because they can win the title, not just make the playoffs and be competitive once they're in. If Rose is healthy, it makes perfect sense. But I think with what's happened the past couple of years you have to at least discuss the possibility that he ends up hurt or even if he does come back might not be the MVP caliber player he's capable of being (not saying he won't still be awesome). I think that's something Melo does need to consider with how much of a paycut he'd be taking. You don't want to leave that money on the table for a chance to win and then not even get that chance.

thenaj17
07-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Oh of course. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But can CHI win a title with Melo if Rose went down? (backup PG)/Butler/Melo/Gibson/Noah... can that team win a title? Not so sure. The East is weak enough that they might compete for a Finals appearence with their great D and coach but I'm not so sure that they'd have a great shot at winning. Melo is only even considering the paycut he'd have to take to go to CHI because they can win the title, not just make the playoffs and be competitive once they're in. If Rose is healthy, it makes perfect sense. But I think with what's happened the past couple of years you have to at least discuss the possibility that he ends up hurt or even if he does come back might not be the MVP caliber player he's capable of being (not saying he won't still be awesome). I think that's something Melo does need to consider with how much of a paycut he'd be taking. You don't want to leave that money on the table for a chance to win and then not even get that chance.

You make far too much sense.

Couldn't agree more with every single thing you said. And i'm an LA fan

Quinnsanity
07-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Honestly I'm kind of at a loss over why 'Melo would pick anywhere OTHER than Chicago.

I'm not entirely certain that the Lakers with 'Melo are even a playoff team. Let's say they bring back Gasol as well, and even to be generous let's say they stretch Nash and get two more useful pieces for the bench on the cheap. That's still only a roster of seven players. We don't know if Kendall Marshall can do anything without D'antoni (remember Chris Duhon). We know that team isn't better than San Antonio, OKC or the Clippers. We can reasonably assume they're not better than Houston, Golden State or Portland (who will all likely be better next year). That leaves them fighting with Memphis, Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans and Denver for a playoff spot. I don't think they're the second best team out of that group. I'd probably say they're fourth or fifth. They play no defense and they'll have very little depth. You can't make the playoffs in this Western Conference with no defense or depth, especially since the odds suggest that Kobe and Melo will need time to learn to play together and that will cost them a few early season W's. We saw a pretty similar scenario play out two years ago, only Dwight was better than 'Melo, '12-'13 Kobe is likely better than '14-'15 Kobe and '12-'13 Gasol is likely better than '12-'13 Gasol. Sure a coaching upgrade will help, but honestly I just don't have muc faith in this particular Lakers team to make the playoffs even with 'Melo. It's a one-dimensional team that relies way too heavily on isolation. Maybe if it were a Spurs level offense with no D/depth, but not with this squad.

Meanwhile, we keep hearing about this flexibility that the Knicks have, but nobody has given me any sort of indication about what they'll do with it. Let's assume for the moment that Kevin Love is traded between now and next summer and is off of the market. That leaves a free agent class of LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Rajon Rondo, DeAndre Jordan, and most of the Spurs roster. The Spurs are all staying put or retiring. DeAndre is likely staying as well, no reason to leave a contender in LA for a question mark in New York. Gasol and Aldridge both have better basketball situations currently, but if they were really desperate to head East and get into a bigger market, Chicago will have similar space next year and offers more on the court. I have no reason to believe either of them will leave their current teams, and if they did, that the Knicks would be their first choice. Rondo is the only guy I think could leave, but does a Rondo/Melo duo do you much good if you don't have a good team to put around them? The roster at that point is essentially Rondo, Melo, Calderon, Hardaway, Larkin, JR and their 2015 pick. They won't have enough cap space to do much more than add a max guy, and honestly, I think the far more likely situation is Rondo staying in Boston and trying to recruit one of the other guys or play with Kevin Love if he's traded there. Point is, it's not like there are dozens of All Stars lining up to join the Knicks. Stars are savvier now. They know that playing in a good basketball situation means more than market financially. Look at the shoe deal Lillard just got as an example.

Houston and Dallas are both in the West, present weird basketball fits and can't offer particularly close to a full max. I just don't see it, though I guess you could talk me into either because of the organizational infrastructure.

Chicago just makes perfect sense. Ignore Rose for a moment. Last year's team won 48 games without him, and the benefits of adding 'Melo would mean more to them than any other team because they had NO scoring without him. Again, ignoring Rose, you could slot 'Melo's 11 win shares onto the Bulls and push them from around 48 wins to around 59. Not a perfect measurement obviously, as the Bulls have lost other players and there would be an adjustment period, but I think he's worth something like 10 or 11 wins to last year's Bulls team. Throw in Rose, who's probably worth an additional four or five conservatively (even if his game changes upon his return) if he's healthy (more on his own, but diminishing returns with two ball-dominant scorers plays in along with the increased statistical difficulty of each additional win beyond the threshold of around 60) and you get a team that's looking at winning in the mid-'60s. Remember, they've been the No. 1 seed in the East twice with this core, so it's not at all hyperbole. Even if Rose got hurt again, that's still a team that wins in the high-50's, and in the East that basically guarantees a trip to the Conference Finals and a puncher's shot at the title. That's by far more than anyone else can offer him, along with the often forgotten fact that Chicago is the league's third biggest market and probably the most internationally valuable brand (because of Jordan). I don't know why this is even really a question.

likemystylez
07-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Only if Phil keeps playing games, maybe he is trying to grt him to LA.

Honestly- if jackson is trying to build a solid organization, and he wants players who want to be in NY. If Melo needs to think about it- maybe he isnt what ny wants in a franchise player

chitown85
07-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Honestly I'm kind of at a loss over why 'Melo would pick anywhere OTHER than Chicago.

I'm not entirely certain that the Lakers with 'Melo are even a playoff team. Let's say they bring back Gasol as well, and even to be generous let's say they stretch Nash and get two more useful pieces for the bench on the cheap. That's still only a roster of seven players. We don't know if Kendall Marshall can do anything without D'antoni (remember Chris Duhon). We know that team isn't better than San Antonio, OKC or the Clippers. We can reasonably assume they're not better than Houston, Golden State or Portland (who will all likely be better next year). That leaves them fighting with Memphis, Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans and Denver for a playoff spot. I don't think they're the second best team out of that group. I'd probably say they're fourth or fifth. They play no defense and they'll have very little depth. You can't make the playoffs in this Western Conference with no defense or depth, especially since the odds suggest that Kobe and Melo will need time to learn to play together and that will cost them a few early season W's. We saw a pretty similar scenario play out two years ago, only Dwight was better than 'Melo, '12-'13 Kobe is likely better than '14-'15 Kobe and '12-'13 Gasol is likely better than '12-'13 Gasol. Sure a coaching upgrade will help, but honestly I just don't have muc faith in this particular Lakers team to make the playoffs even with 'Melo. It's a one-dimensional team that relies way too heavily on isolation. Maybe if it were a Spurs level offense with no D/depth, but not with this squad.

Meanwhile, we keep hearing about this flexibility that the Knicks have, but nobody has given me any sort of indication about what they'll do with it. Let's assume for the moment that Kevin Love is traded between now and next summer and is off of the market. That leaves a free agent class of LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Rajon Rondo, DeAndre Jordan, and most of the Spurs roster. The Spurs are all staying put or retiring. DeAndre is likely staying as well, no reason to leave a contender in LA for a question mark in New York. Gasol and Aldridge both have better basketball situations currently, but if they were really desperate to head East and get into a bigger market, Chicago will have similar space next year and offers more on the court. I have no reason to believe either of them will leave their current teams, and if they did, that the Knicks would be their first choice. Rondo is the only guy I think could leave, but does a Rondo/Melo duo do you much good if you don't have a good team to put around them? The roster at that point is essentially Rondo, Melo, Calderon, Hardaway, Larkin, JR and their 2015 pick. They won't have enough cap space to do much more than add a max guy, and honestly, I think the far more likely situation is Rondo staying in Boston and trying to recruit one of the other guys or play with Kevin Love if he's traded there. Point is, it's not like there are dozens of All Stars lining up to join the Knicks. Stars are savvier now. They know that playing in a good basketball situation means more than market financially. Look at the shoe deal Lillard just got as an example.

Houston and Dallas are both in the West, present weird basketball fits and can't offer particularly close to a full max. I just don't see it, though I guess you could talk me into either because of the organizational infrastructure.

Chicago just makes perfect sense. Ignore Rose for a moment. Last year's team won 48 games without him, and the benefits of adding 'Melo would mean more to them than any other team because they had NO scoring without him. Again, ignoring Rose, you could slot 'Melo's 11 win shares onto the Bulls and push them from around 48 wins to around 59. Not a perfect measurement obviously, as the Bulls have lost other players and there would be an adjustment period, but I think he's worth something like 10 or 11 wins to last year's Bulls team. Throw in Rose, who's probably worth an additional four or five conservatively (even if his game changes upon his return) if he's healthy (more on his own, but diminishing returns with two ball-dominant scorers plays in along with the increased statistical difficulty of each additional win beyond the threshold of around 60) and you get a team that's looking at winning in the mid-'60s. Remember, they've been the No. 1 seed in the East twice with this core, so it's not at all hyperbole. Even if Rose got hurt again, that's still a team that wins in the high-50's, and in the East that basically guarantees a trip to the Conference Finals and a puncher's shot at the title. That's by far more than anyone else can offer him, along with the often forgotten fact that Chicago is the league's third biggest market and probably the most internationally valuable brand (because of Jordan). I don't know why this is even really a question.

Exactly! Its not whether or not they will or will not win in the Finals; its about whether or not those other teams can even make the playoffs; let alone the Finals.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Exactly! Its not whether or not they will or will not win in the Finals; its about whether or not those other teams can even make the playoffs; let alone the Finals.

Melo's not going to take the paycut he has to take to go to CHI for anything less than a shot at championships. Like Quinsanity said, the Bulls with Melo but an injured Rose gives them a "puncher's shot" at the title. Melo's not leaving all the money on the table for a puncher's shot at a title. He wants damn near guaranteed shots at titles to leave that much money on the table. If Rose is healthy, CHI clearly offers that. But with the injury history, you do have to at least consider the future outlook for Derrick Rose injury wise. Then you have to take his family into account. NY is where they currently live and I can't imagine his kids want to move anywhere. NY and LA are also much better spots for his wife and her TV career. I think you guys are 100% correct in your reasoning as to why CHI is a great spot for him. If I'm making the choice that's where I'd go, even with leaving the money on the table. But looking at it from Melo's perspective (including his family) I just don't see him going there.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-07-2014, 11:07 AM

100% agreed. Just still an assload of money to give up.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Melo's not going to take the paycut he has to take to go to CHI for anything less than a shot at championships. Like Quinsanity said, the Bulls with Melo but an injured Rose gives them a "puncher's shot" at the title. Melo's not leaving all the money on the table for a puncher's shot at a title. He wants damn near guaranteed shots at titles to leave that much money on the table. If Rose is healthy, CHI clearly offers that. But with the injury history, you do have to at least consider the future outlook for Derrick Rose injury wise. Then you have to take his family into account. NY is where they currently live and I can't imagine his kids want to move anywhere. NY and LA are also much better spots for his wife and her TV career. I think you guys are 100% correct in your reasoning as to why CHI is a great spot for him. If I'm making the choice that's where I'd go, even with leaving the money on the table. But looking at it from Melo's perspective (including his family) I just don't see him going there.

LA or NY give him nothing more than a Punchers Shot the next number of prime years for Melo as well given the competition in the west and the current state of NY. And none of them are sitting on that extra piece like Rose that could be a game changer. Bulls also still have a good amount of assets they are sitting on, whereas NY and LA both are missing future 1st round picks, and don't own any valuable assets like other teams' picks or overseas potential impact players.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 11:19 AM
LA or NY give him nothing more than a Punchers Shot the next number of prime years for Melo as well given the competition in the west and the current state of NY. And none of them are sitting on that extra piece like Rose that could be a game changer. Bulls also still have a good amount of assets they are sitting on, whereas NY and LA both are missing future 1st round picks, and don't own any valuable assets like other teams' picks or overseas potential impact players.

No argument here. Those teams also aren;t asking him to leave 10s of millions of dollars on the table. Remember, Melo is 30. There's a good chance this is his last big money deal. At age 34 or 35 he could very well be broken down the way Wade is now and not find a big market. I agree with everthing you guys have said about CHI being the best spot basketball wise. But financially and for his family LA and NY seem to be better destinations. I just don't see him going to CHI even though it's far and away the best basketball move.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-07-2014, 11:27 AM
No argument here. Those teams also aren;t asking him to leave 10s of millions of dollars on the table. Remember, Melo is 30. There's a good chance this is his last big money deal. At age 34 or 35 he could very well be broken down the way Wade is now and not find a big market. I agree with everthing you guys have said about CHI being the best spot basketball wise. But financially and for his family LA and NY seem to be better destinations. I just don't see him going to CHI even though it's far and away the best basketball move.

I'm with you. I think he ultimately takes the money. We just can't offer him near a respectable amount without removing Gibson.

Quinnsanity
07-07-2014, 11:35 AM
What bothers me is that I don't think we'll ever know what compelled him to stay in New York if that's what he does. I think the narrative will be money and his family, and honestly I wouldn't blame him for making that decision. We make it seem like championships are all that matters to these guys, but the welfare of your family is just more important. Or at least it should be. But I do think there's a part of 'Melo that wants to be known as the guy who finally brought New York their ring. I think that means more to him than anyone recognizes, and while I'd choose Chicago if I were him, I do think the decision to try to win one for New York, especially as they're now probably at their lowest point as an organization since Isiah, is just as admirable as giving up money to go for a title. We gave LeBron so much **** for ditching Cleveland, saying he should've finished what he started and been the guy to get them a ring, but I suspect that if Carmelo chooses New York the response will be just as negative. It's hypocritical. Either we want guys to stay in one place and try to get that city titles, or we want guys to give up money and shots and just take the best possible shot at winning titles. Which is it?

I would choose Chicago because I don't think the Knicks will be in position to compete for a title any time soon. However, if Carmelo disagrees, I understand why he'd pick the Knicks. Even though as a Knicks fan I'd rather rebuild, I'd at least respect his decision. I guess it all comes down to what he really wants. If it's a ring above all else, he should go to Chicago. If it's about his family, the money, or as I suspect, the desire to be the guy who got New York its ring, it should be New York. If, as I also somewhat suspect, it's really LaLa's decision and she wants to do what's best for laughable acting career, it should be Los Angeles. I'd choose Chicago, we just don't know what he'd choose.

HYFR
07-07-2014, 11:48 AM
What bothers me is that I don't think we'll ever know what compelled him to stay in New York if that's what he does. I think the narrative will be money and his family, and honestly I wouldn't blame him for making that decision. We make it seem like championships are all that matters to these guys, but the welfare of your family is just more important. Or at least it should be. But I do think there's a part of 'Melo that wants to be known as the guy who finally brought New York their ring. I think that means more to him than anyone recognizes, and while I'd choose Chicago if I were him, I do think the decision to try to win one for New York, especially as they're now probably at their lowest point as an organization since Isiah, is just as admirable as giving up money to go for a title. We gave LeBron so much **** for ditching Cleveland, saying he should've finished what he started and been the guy to get them a ring, but I suspect that if Carmelo chooses New York the response will be just as negative. It's hypocritical. Either we want guys to stay in one place and try to get that city titles, or we want guys to give up money and shots and just take the best possible shot at winning titles. Which is it?

I would choose Chicago because I don't think the Knicks will be in position to compete for a title any time soon. However, if Carmelo disagrees, I understand why he'd pick the Knicks. Even though as a Knicks fan I'd rather rebuild, I'd at least respect his decision. I guess it all comes down to what he really wants. If it's a ring above all else, he should go to Chicago. If it's about his family, the money, or as I suspect, the desire to be the guy who got New York its ring, it should be New York. If, as I also somewhat suspect, it's really LaLa's decision and she wants to do what's best for laughable acting career, it should be Los Angeles. I'd choose Chicago, we just don't know what he'd choose.

Great post! IMO melo is just doubting if rose can get back to the level he was playing at.

Beltrans Mole
07-07-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm failing to see how the Knicks won't be in position to compete for a title "any time soon". Yes, they will not win a championship in 2014-2015, but after that I don't see why they can't make a run at it with some good additions next summer...who knows what Phil Jackson is capable of, nobody thought he'd be able to get that much for Tyson Chandler or Ray Felton.

Bostonjorge
07-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Melo going to LA.

angelsfan1984
07-07-2014, 12:14 PM
If he wanted to be in NY he would have signed there already. More money/more years...although i think the Lakers signing this guy would be a huge mistake. There are so many other players that fill needs that cost much less.

NFLNBA
07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Lakers are the best win/win for Melo. They can offer more money than Bulls and have better roster than Knicks. Only thing New York has is playing in the awful East. Melo, Kobe, Gasol, Randle is not a bad foundation at all. Stick that line-up in East and its top 3 in west prob top 6

chitown85
07-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Lakers are the best win/win for Melo. They can offer more money than Bulls and have better roster than Knicks. Only thing New York has is playing in the awful East. Melo, Kobe, Gasol, Randle is not a bad foundation at all. Stick that line-up in East and its top 3 in west prob top 6

Sure. The only problem is they aren't in the East; so while its fun to say "if they were in the East..." it really doesn't have any practical application. If he is willing to take less years and less money; then Chicago makes way more sense basketball wise. If he goes with the money/family he stays in NY, if its a basketball decision its Chicago, plain and simple. Don't even really want Melo tbh, but its common sense that because Chicago is actually in the East (not hypothetically...) he has way more action at winning/at least getting to the dance in the Chi.And, that's if Rose doesn't play a single game...other fans are downplaying our assets as well (which compared to LA/NY are worth mentioning). Ultimately, I still think he stays in NY and takes his big pay day...

Chronz
07-07-2014, 01:50 PM

You really think that highly of the lineup?

Vinylman
07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Great post! IMO melo is just doubting if rose can get back to the level he was playing at.

as he should ... rose has only played 49 games in 3 years and only 10 since the original injury....

chitown85
07-07-2014, 01:58 PM
as he should ... rose has only played 49 games in 3 years and only 10 since the original injury....

Yes. That's why any Chicago fan with half a brain realizes its best to have a wait and see attitude with Rose. If Gibson stays and Rose retires this afternoon, Chicago is still a better landing spot than any of these teams being talked about. Assets, coaching, DPOY, in the East, big market, and supporting cast all collectively make the Bulls the sweetest basketball related spot for Melo. Money is the issue. Barry Sanders couldn't dance around that...

beliges
07-07-2014, 03:22 PM

If Kobe is healthy and playing like he did the season he got hurt (top 3-4 player) then clearly the Lakers have a great shot at another title with that lineup. But that is a big "IF" an its taking into consideration that Melo is healthy as well along with Pau. But yes, that lineup can be a championship caliber squad depending on Kobe's health.

chitown85
07-07-2014, 03:35 PM
If Kobe is healthy and playing like he did the season he got hurt (top 3-4 player) then clearly the Lakers have a great shot at another title with that lineup. But that is a big "IF" an its taking into consideration that Melo is healthy as well along with Pau. But yes, that lineup can be a championship caliber squad depending on Kobe's health.

With this kind of faith...I would believe Rose will make a run at MVP again next season...which I don't; not even close.

beliges
07-07-2014, 03:50 PM
With this kind of faith...I would believe Rose will make a run at MVP again next season...which I don't; not even close.

Not sure about faith. But you give a healthy Kobe a weapon like Melo couple with Pau, then Lakers are at least competing for a title. Again this is assuming Kobe can play like he did the year he tore the achilles. If Kobe is top 5 player again, then Lakers will compete with that squad. Nobody really knows what to expect from him but this is hardly about faith and simply about truth.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2014, 03:59 PM

It's really not a bad starting 5 IMO (with Marshall thrown in) provided good health. The problem is that they'd have nothing but vet min signings on the bench, no long term cap flexibility (they'd have about $60 million committed next season between Melo, Kobe, Pau, Randle and the charge stretching Nash would carry), few draft picks (next year's to PHX, 2017 to ORL). And that "provided good health" provision I listed above isn't at a smart bet AT ALL for Kobe and Pau as they continue to age (hell, even Randle had some injury warnings in the draft).

But on paper, I think that is a pretty good starting 5. The team is still borderline playoffs in the West AT BEST (and I wouldn't pick them to get in).

DarkKnight
07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Melo going to LA.

cool

chitown85
07-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Not sure about faith. But you give a healthy Kobe a weapon like Melo couple with Pau, then Lakers are at least competing for a title. Again this is assuming Kobe can play like he did the year he tore the achilles. If Kobe is top 5 player again, then Lakers will compete with that squad. Nobody really knows what to expect from him but this is hardly about faith and simply about truth.

How old is Kobe again? What evidence do you have to suggest that he will be a top 3-5 guy again? Who's your coach? Faith is very much what your basing your opinion on; don't get it twisted. A spade is a spade. We are all bias in some ways when it comes to our respective teams; you are just rocking your bias shades right now. Rock on with your bad self;)

chitown85
07-07-2014, 04:04 PM
It's really not a bad starting 5 IMO (with Marshall thrown in) provided good health. The problem is that they'd have nothing but vet min signings on the bench, no long term cap flexibility (they'd have about $60 million committed next season between Melo, Kobe, Pau, Randle and the charge stretching Nash would carry), few draft picks (next year's to PHX, 2017 to ORL). And that "provided good health" provision I listed above isn't at a smart bet AT ALL for Kobe and Pau as they continue to age (hell, even Randle had some injury warnings in the draft).

But on paper, I think that is a pretty good starting 5. The team is still borderline playoffs in the West AT BEST (and I wouldn't pick them to get in).

Not that bad? Sure. But, he is acting like they are contenders with that lineup. You are spot on; lucky to make the playoffs and compete on that stage.

thomass
07-07-2014, 07:24 PM
If bosh ends up in Houston, melo could end up in Miami.

LA_Raiders
07-07-2014, 07:51 PM
I hope this melodrama ends soon.