PDA

View Full Version : Should Clippers move out of Lakers shadow?

ldawg
07-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Clippers are no longer the little team behind the Lakers. They now boast better talent, more entertaining and is now a contender. I think they should get their own building or better yet move to a different city or state.

SanPitte
07-05-2014, 09:07 AM
they should move to Seattle and change their name to Seattle Sonics, they'd have their own building, own city, a huge fanbase and they'd move far away from Sterling's shadow

Asik's better
07-05-2014, 09:22 AM
As someone who doesn't live in America, in LA do clipper fans majority in one area and laker fans live in another or is it more mixed? And if the clipper fans do live in a certain area is it feasible to build a stadium in that area? Because if so they should absolutely do that.

jaydubb
07-05-2014, 09:38 AM
As someone who doesn't live in America, in LA do clipper fans majority in one are and laker fans live in another or is it more mixed? And if the clipper fans do live in a certain area is it feasible to build a stadium in that area? Because if so they should absolutely do that.
Its mixed. I have several friends that are laker fans and several others that are clipper fans. The difference between the two is that I've noticed clipper fans are usually less educated then laker fans.

goingfor28
07-05-2014, 10:13 AM
They should stay right where they are. Ballmer should buy the LAKings, then buy Staples, and boot the Lakers ;)

Really though why the hell would they move? Seattle would drop the value of the team tremendously. Theyre in a huge market, in a great city, and play in an awesome arena. They arent going anywhere.

Chronz
07-05-2014, 11:11 AM
LOL. Heavens no. LA having 2 teams is a badge of honor, we're that big, hell we could prolly support another team in the OC or something. Why would the Clippers want to leave such a big market and strong support system in place here. Its more likely that they rebrand the Clips and take over LA now that the man who built the Lakers is gone.

FYL_McVeezy
07-05-2014, 11:20 AM
LOL. Heavens no. LA having 2 teams is a badge of honor, we're that big, hell we could prolly support another team in the OC or something. Why would the Clippers want to leave such a big market and strong support system in place here. Its more likely that they rebrand the Clips and take over LA now that the man who built the Lakers is gone.

What about your own arena? Ballmer's money is long enough to make it happen. Would love to see the NFL return to LA and you guys build a sports complex with the new football stadium and a new home for the clips.

Being a Jets fan I know what it's like to be little brother and I'm still pissed the deal for the West Side Stadium fell through because we would have had our own home. Instead we got into ANOTHER lease with the ****ing Giants :facepalm:

Greedy22
07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Take over LA, that's quite the stretch.

GREATNESS ONE
07-05-2014, 12:25 PM
San Diego Clippers

Aust
07-05-2014, 12:45 PM
YES. I've been saying this for ages, gtfo please.

jerellh528
07-05-2014, 12:47 PM
As someone who doesn't live in America, in LA do clipper fans majority in one area and laker fans live in another or is it more mixed? And if the clipper fans do live in a certain area is it feasible to build a stadium in that area? Because if so they should absolutely do that.

I still don't believe clipper fans are real lol. Just people who live in the area yet refuse to like the lakers because that's who everyone else likes and they fear conformity or the label of a bandwagoner, also they say it just to piss laker fans off haha.

Bozeman
07-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately there are many LA fans that are bandwagon. You of course have the celeb effect that will attend and support based on what is hot at the time. Plus a new generation of kids will of course gravitate towards a winning team instead of a losing one.

If the lakers are bad for 4-5 more years and the clippers can actually win a chip, or at least get to the finals, then it's not out of the realm to say they could become the only show in town with the lakers truly behind them. And if you become number one in LA, i mean the cash rolls in. So, moving is a tough sell based on how it currently looks out here in la la land because of that potential.

( this coming from a diehard laker fan btw)

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Its mixed. I have several friends that are laker fans and several others that are clipper fans. The difference between the two is that I've noticed clipper fans are usually less educated then laker fans.

This is a joke right? In the CP3 era the Clippers have a ton of dumb bandwagon fans who don't know anything, but the Lakers have 100 times as many dummy fans (they have more fans thousands times over, so not surprising). The legit Clippers fans easily rank among the most knowledgeable fans in the NBA. Before the CP3 era there wasn't a such thing as a half *** Clippers fan. You were either all in and took a verbal beating by everybody, or you weren't.

Bozeman
07-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I still don't believe clipper fans are real lol. Just people who live in the area yet refuse to like the lakers because that's who everyone else likes and they fear conformity or the label of a bandwagoner, also they say it just to piss laker fans off haha.

Clipper fans usually fall into a few categories.

You have the majority that are simply laker and or basketball haters that jumped on just out of spite
You have the bandwagon that simply jump onto winners and feel it's ok because they represent los angeles.
You have a few diehards that grew up clipper fans because that is the only games they could afford at the la sports arena
and of course you have kids and teens that like the flashy lobby dunk kind of basketball and are stuck just in the now. So of course they latch on to a winner.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 12:51 PM
What about your own arena? Ballmer's money is long enough to make it happen. Would love to see the NFL return to LA and you guys build a sports complex with the new football stadium and a new home for the clips.

Being a Jets fan I know what it's like to be little brother and I'm still pissed the deal for the West Side Stadium fell through because we would have had our own home. Instead we got into ANOTHER lease with the ****ing Giants :facepalm:

Ballmer is trying to flat out buy Staples and the Kings. Which would make the LAKERS the tenants of Staples lol. That's on hold for now though with the Sterling suing debacle.

Bozeman
07-05-2014, 12:55 PM
This is a joke right? In the CP3 era the Clippers have a ton of dumb bandwagon fans who don't know anything, but the Lakers have 100 times as many dummy fans (they have more fans thousands times over, so not surprising). The legit Clippers fans easily rank among the most knowledgeable fans in the NBA. Before the CP3 era there wasn't a such thing as a half *** Clippers fan. You were either all in and took a verbal beating by everybody, or you weren't.

I remember the days of lamond murry and keith closs, and nobody ever, and i mean ever talked or even wore clippers gear around LA. I mean it was 0.

I did go to a few clippers games though. I remember because my dad got seats about 3 rows back for extra cheap. 99% of the sports arena was filled with people and families that were there just because it was a cheap family day. And even then, there were only a few thousand people in attendance.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Clipper fans usually fall into a few categories.

You have the majority that are simply laker and or basketball haters that jumped on just out of spite
You have the bandwagon that simply jump onto winners and feel it's ok because they represent los angeles.
You have a few diehards that grew up clipper fans because that is the only games they could afford at the la sports arena
and of course you have kids and teens that like the flashy lobby dunk kind of basketball and are stuck just in the now. So of course they latch on to a winner.

Lakers fans fall into a few categories.

You have the majority that are simply frontrunners who jumped on just because of the Lakers history.
You have the bandwagon that simply jump onto the Mexican culture and follow what their family did.
You have a few diehard Lakers fans that actually know the game and don't like to discuss the ancient history of the Lakers championships constantly.
and of course you have the fans who want to go to Lakers games and celebrity watch and lack interest in the game.
So of course they latch on to an ancient winner.

PS. Exceptions to this rule include the ever classy Shep and Giants.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I remember the days of lamond murry and keith closs, and nobody ever, and i mean ever talked or even wore clippers gear around LA. I mean it was 0.

I did go to a few clippers games though. I remember because my dad got seats about 3 rows back for extra cheap. 99% of the sports arena was filled with people and families that were there just because it was a cheap family day. And even then, there were only a few thousand people in attendance.

It's weird because there was a breakdown done by Forbes if I recall and the Clippers were ranked the most loyal fan base in the NBA based on about a dozen criteria, just ahead of the Warriors. That article was like 5 years ago I believe. Wearing gear openly has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a fan LMAO. I'm one of the most crazed Clippers fans out there and I rarely wear my Clippers gear out in public. Not because I'm ashamed, but because I'm 28 years old and not a kid anymore. I'd rather wear something nice.

I wear my jerseys to games, when doing something active or when at home.. not when I'm going out to dinner or something. Sure plenty became fans due to it being a much cheaper experience than the Lakers but as long as they stick around as legit fans who fu**ing cares? You think it's a legit reason to pull somebody's fan card because they chose a team they could afford to follow?

Bozeman
07-05-2014, 01:01 PM

You have the majority that are simply frontrunners who jumped on just because of the Lakers history.
You have the bandwagon that simply jump onto the Mexican culture and follow what their family did.
You have a few diehard Lakers fans that actually know the game and don't like to discuss the ancient history of the Lakers championships constantly.
and of course you have the fans who want to go to Lakers games and celebrity watch and lack interest in the game.

Yeah you must hang around only young young people.

The fact is there are many people over 30 that grew up hardcore laker fans. Im at the age where i remember the 90's after the bulls championship loss and still those seats were packed. It took 9 years to win it all again the the fever never died. There are so many laker fans that don't know what bandwagon is. You're talking guys in their 30's, 40's, 50's 60's, 70's that grew up ON laker basketball.

But i will agree with one thing. The majority of fans at the games fall into your categories, but you are discounting so many that simply bleed laker basketball that don't attend the hollywood style festivities.

Chronz
07-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Nothing like that. Laker fans are everywhere, Clips are sprinkled in. One thing you will notice is that Clipper fans are usually blue collar folk that appreciated the low ticket cost. Thats the main reason I became a fan, it wasn't even to watch some of our **** teams but to appreciate the NBA's gifted athletes which eventually played on some Clippers teams, all for a low low price. Although Im a Clippers fan, I like to think of myself as a fan of the NBA first and foremost. Most Laker buffs are hardcore and as a result, EXTREMELY biased. Usually to the point of ignorance IMO. Clipper fans are definitely more knowledgeable.

Bozeman
07-05-2014, 01:06 PM
It's weird because there was a breakdown done by Forbes if I recall and the Clippers were ranked the most loyal fan base in the NBA based on about a dozen criteria, just ahead of the Warriors. That article was like 5 years ago I believe. Wearing gear openly has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a fan LMAO. I'm one of the most crazed Clippers fans out there and I rarely wear my Clippers gear out in public. Not because I'm ashamed, but because I'm 28 years old and not a kid anymore. I'd rather wear something nice.

I wear my jerseys to games, when doing something active or when at home.. not when I'm going out to dinner or something. Sure plenty became fans due to it being a much cheaper experience than the Lakers but as long as they stick around as legit fans who fu**ing cares? You think it's a legit reason to pull somebody's fan card because they chose a team they could afford to follow?

I was talking about the explosion of gear now, which would of course indicate a younger fan base that tends to be more bandwagon. Sorry, but it's very hard to find true clipper fans over 30. But i mean this is natural.

In theory it's kinda strange to be a clipper fan. I mean what are your reasons? Lakers were here before. Clippers came from san diego in 1984. Lakers had been here for 24 years and were already established in this market.

So of course one huge reason why there are any clippers fans at all is because games were accessible to everybody. During showtime not only were ticket prices high but there were constant sell outs. For middle class families clipper games were affordable and you could bring your family to experience professional basketball. That's a huge reason how many of those fans became fans of the clippers. I mean otherwise it makes no sense. Were those people simply not basketball fans before? Or did they just hate the lakers? It's either one or the other.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Yeah you must hang around only young young people.

The fact is there are many people over 30 that grew up hardcore laker fans. Im at the age where i remember the 90's after the bulls championship loss and still those seats were packed. It took 9 years to win it all again the the fever never died. There are so many laker fans that don't know what bandwagon is. You're talking guys in their 30's, 40's, 50's 60's, 70's that grew up ON laker basketball.

But i will agree with one thing. The majority of fans at the games fall into your categories, but you are discounting so many that simply bleed laker basketball that don't attend the hollywood style festivities.

Ding ding ding. Same applies for the Clippers. Did you know that a group of about 500 diehards regular gets together for pictures, chatting and events at Clippers games? At the games out of the hundreds of Clippers fans I've talked to, only a couple were clueless (including CP3 era). Most could hold a full blown basketball conversation with me. You're implying most of the Clipper fanbase is bandwagon, which is a huge lie. There was no such thing as a bandwagon Clippers fan prior to CP3, so where do you think the original fan base selling out the occasional game went?

The Lakers have much longer history (and better history) so of course the odds of finding a 70 year old Lakers fan are greater. As I said, Lakers attract people who like ancient history :).

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 01:12 PM
I was talking about the explosion of gear now, which would of course indicate a younger fan base that tends to be more bandwagon. Sorry, but it's very hard to find true clipper fans over 30. But i mean this is natural.

In theory it's kinda strange to be a clipper fan. I mean what are your reasons? Lakers were here before. Clippers came from san diego in 1984. Lakers had been here for 24 years and were already established in this market.

So of course one huge reason why there are any clippers fans at all is because games were accessible to everybody. During showtime not only were ticket prices high but there were constant sell outs. For middle class families clipper games were affordable and you could bring your family to experience professional basketball. That's a huge reason how many of those fans became fans of the clippers. I mean otherwise it makes no sense. Were those people simply not basketball fans before? Or did they just hate the lakers? It's either one or the other.

Accessibility is a GREAT reason to become a fan IMO. Why not become a fan of a local team you can follow? I'm more skeptical of people in California claiming to be Thunder fans for example. How can you become a fan of a team you only get to see 20 times a year on TV max and that live across the USA? If you lived in Oklahoma first sure, but not as born and raised in Cali.

Affordability is another fair, good reason. If you are choosing between local teams and one you can afford to do family things with, the other you can't, it's almost a no brainer. It doesn't have to make sense though, everyone has their own prerogative. It's common for people to naturally want to root for the underdog. In fact that's hands down the biggest reason people became Clippers fans in the past. Not to spite the Lakers, but because some of us like watching the "little brother" win once in a while.

I became a fan because I love underdog stories (my whole life has been one) and I was able to relate to the Clippers. Then I stumbled across a Ralph Lawler radio broadcast of the game and his energy/optimism despite such bad situations was inspiring. Why people become a fan is very personal, so it's simple minded IMO to sum it up to 3 or 4 reasons and label.

PS. Seeing more gear DOES imply an influx of bandwagon in this case, but it also implies that existing Clippers fans are more proud and fear ridicule less than before. See I never gave a **** if people talked crap, but most Clippers fans did.

nickdymez
07-05-2014, 01:13 PM
This is 100% correct

Bozeman
07-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Accessibility is a GREAT reason to become a fan IMO. Why not become a fan of a local team you can follow? I'm more skeptical of people in California claiming to be Thunder fans for example. How can you become a fan of a team you only get to see 20 times a year on TV max and that live across the USA? If you lived in Oklahoma first sure, but not as born and raised in Cali.

Affordability is another fair, good reason. If you are choosing between local teams and one you can afford to do family things with, the other you can't, it's almost a no brainer. It doesn't have to make sense though, everyone has their own prerogative. It's common for people to naturally want to root for the underdog. In fact that's hands down the biggest reason people became Clippers fans in the past. Not to spite the Lakers, but because some of us like watching the "little brother" win once in a while.

I became a fan because I love underdog stories (my whole life has been one) and I was able to relate to the Clippers. Then I stumbled across a Ralph Lawler radio broadcast of the game and his energy/optimism despite such bad situations was inspiring. Why people become a fan is very personal, so it's simple minded IMO to sum it up to 3 or 4 reasons and label.

Yes, and i don't hate. I know there are some fans out there that follow for those reasons.

I also realize laker fans have many many horrible fans that know nothing. Usually they are also raider fans as well. :eyebrow:

amos1er
07-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Ha... Only in your dreams. Even Jim Buss isn't stupid enough to let that happen.

amos1er
07-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Nothing like that. Laker fans are everywhere, Clips are sprinkled in. One thing you will notice is that Clipper fans are usually blue collar folk that appreciated the low ticket cost. Thats the main reason I became a fan, it wasn't even to watch some of our **** teams but to appreciate the NBA's gifted athletes which eventually played on some Clippers teams, all for a low low price. Although Im a Clippers fan, I like to think of myself as a fan of the NBA first and foremost. Most Laker buffs are hardcore and as a result, EXTREMELY biased. Usually to the point of ignorance IMO. Clipper fans are definitely more knowledgeable.

:rolleyes:

amos1er
07-05-2014, 01:35 PM

:laugh: Niiice!!!

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Ha... Only in your dreams. Even Jim Buss isn't stupid enough to let that happen.

Jim Buss' stupidity has no limits as evidenced by the string of laughably bad errors since his father died. Like literally one idiotic move after another, snowballing.

Lakers + Giants
07-05-2014, 02:24 PM

PS. Exceptions to this rule include the ever classy Shep and Giants.

Appreciate the respect!

:cheers:

lakerboy
07-05-2014, 02:30 PM
They should just move out of the California area.

If you live in LA, you know it's Lakers country. There may be 1 Clipper fan for every 20 Lakers fan.
From San Diego to Bakersfield, West LA to San Bernardino, even to parts of Las Vegas, Bay Area, Sacramento and Portland, that's all Lakers strong.

Method28
07-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Of my group of 15 friends that go to games and whatnot...every one of them are Lakers "fans." The only knowledge they obtain from anything outside of the Lakers is whatever ESPN tells them.

They barely watched last year and I expect that to continue. Lakers fans, and MOST LA sports fans do not support losers.

Most Lakers fans I've met think all players that are not on their roster suck.

The Lakers better shape up or they WILL lose their fans. If the Clippers continue to be the clearly better team and make some deep playoff runs they will take over.

One thing is for sure... Loyalty is few and far between in LA.

cmellofan15
07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
the Clippers are a business. they're thriving in LA. any talk about fans and little brothers is idiotic because they're making money and that's the objective.

Chronz
07-05-2014, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes:

:laugh: Niiice!!!

See what I mean...

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Appreciate the respect!

:cheers:

It's well deserved!

Pakman
07-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Clippers taking over the Lakers?? Right.....anybody else have some good jokes?

lakerfan85
07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Of my group of 15 friends that go to games and whatnot...every one of them are Lakers "fans." The only knowledge they obtain from anything outside of the Lakers is whatever ESPN tells them.

They barely watched last year and I expect that to continue. Lakers fans, and MOST LA sports fans do not support losers.

The Lakers better shape up or they WILL lose their fans. If the Clippers continue to be the clearly better team and make some deep playoff runs they will take over.

This made me laugh.. I guess you missed the report that came out a week ago that showed the Lakers made the most profit in the league last season..

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-05-2014, 05:55 PM

:laugh: you wish FC. The clippers will always be the skid marks on the underpants of the Lakers.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-05-2014, 05:56 PM

We'll it looks like you know a bunch of idiots. Most of the laker fans I know live and die with them.

Pakman
07-05-2014, 05:56 PM
^this

Method28
07-05-2014, 06:39 PM

We'll it looks like you know a bunch of idiots. Most of the laker fans I know live and die with them.

Lmao highly agree with knowing a bunch of idiots.

amos1er
07-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Jim Buss' stupidity has no limits as evidenced by the string of laughably bad errors since his father died. Like literally one idiotic move after another, snowballing.

Well, I will give you that Jim Buss is very stupid... I can't deny that and the fact that he is one of my least favorite people on this planet. However, I just think that the brand of the Lakers franchise is too strong for even him to **** up that royally. Even this season, they had to give over 44 million in revenue sharing because they still are just that popular even with having a **** roster who couldn't even win 30 games. It would take Jim a long time and a lot more of his **** ups to let the Clippers take over LA. Plus, the Clips would have to win a championship before any of those talks become serious. LA fans only respect winners.

amos1er
07-05-2014, 07:59 PM
See what I mean...

Yes, even in the midst of our worst season ever and your best season ever, we are still in the position to clown you.

Chronz
07-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Yes, even in the midst of our worst season ever and your best season ever, we are still in the position to clown you.
So long as you stay beneath us in the standings, you can say whatever you want from the gutter

amos1er
07-05-2014, 08:43 PM
So long as you stay beneath us in the standings, you can say whatever you want from the gutter

To quote the great Wesley Snipes... "Even the sun shines on a dog's *** every once in a while." Meaning that I'm sure this little upset in the standings will be very short lived. Enjoy it while you can.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Let us know when you get to your first finals.

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2014, 11:15 PM
This is beyond a stupid question that should stop being asked. The Clippers are top 5 team in the league. They are in no teams shadow and make the most possible money in the building they play in.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Well, I will give you that Jim Buss is very stupid... I can't deny that and the fact that he is one of my least favorite people on this planet. However, I just think that the brand of the Lakers franchise is too strong for even him to **** up that royally. Even this season, they had to give over 44 million in revenue sharing because they still are just that popular even with having a **** roster who couldn't even win 30 games. It would take Jim a long time and a lot more of his **** ups to let the Clippers take over LA. Plus, the Clips would have to win a championship before any of those talks become serious. LA fans only respect winners.

Nobody said a word about taking over LA. To say they are in the Lakers "shadow" is a dumb expression though considering that the Clippers are one of the most popular team in recent years, even in the same city as the most popular team in the NBA. When Steve Ballmer buys Staples Center and shoves the Lakers out of the door it's going to be hysterical to me. Not because I hate the Lakers but because of specific fans like you being so arrogant.

PurpleLynch
07-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Well,I think Clippers are rising and Ballmer as a new owner was a lucky pick for Clippers.
Said that they just can cohabit,a rivalry in the same city is good for the competition and the buisness of LA and the NBA in general.
Plus,the Clippers won't take over as a franchise and give the boot to the Lakers(even with Ballmer),it's hard to erase a long and winning tradition,worldwide spread,as the Lakers and it would be meaningless too.

Just enjoy the game,LAL & LAC in the same city is the way to go for both of us.

BKLYNpigeon
07-06-2014, 10:44 AM
win a championship first, then talk.

Chronz
07-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Let us know when you get to your first finals.

Let us know when you became a better basketball team in the present.

Chronz
07-06-2014, 01:44 PM
To quote the great Wesley Snipes... "Even the sun shines on a dog's *** every once in a while." Meaning that I'm sure this little upset in the standings will be very short lived. Enjoy it while you can.

Enjoy your time in the shade then.

Aust
07-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Let us know when you became a better basketball team in the present.

Might take awhile.

sertor185
07-06-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm italian and I don't understand how it's possible change the city.
The clippers is Los Angeles, and the clippers fans live in Los Angeles. mistake?
For exemple if Fc Internazionale Milan move out of the Milan the INTERNAZIONALE fans would the revolution.

JEDean89
07-06-2014, 02:02 PM
i'm for it, they are turning into a marquee franchise and have 2 stars, why not spread that out to other markets begging?

PurpleLynch
07-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm italian and I don't understand how it's possible change the city.
The clippers is Los Angeles, and the clippers fans live in Los Angeles. mistake?
For exemple if Fc Internazionale Milan move out of the Milan the INTERNAZIONALE fans would the revolution.

Ahah il fatto che gli interisti farebbero una rivolta se spostassero l'Inter in un'altra cittā č un discorso diverso(non hanno neanche lontanamente la disponibilitā economica delle squadre Nba le squadre di calcio in Serie A).Ma nello sport americano sono abituate a queste cose,tante squadre come Seattle hanno cambiato cittā per questioni economiche principalmente.
Credo anch'io che potrebbero succedere casini se spostassero i Clippers,ma stai pur tranquillo che le cose rimarranno stabili in Los Angeles.

NBA_Starter
07-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Yes to Seattle.

Miltstar
07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
They should move to Calgary or Vancouver!! Basketball's popularity is huge in this country right now and we could easily support a second team on the West Coast. I know the Grizzlies didn't work out but the economic landscape is much different now than it was then.

Both cities have the facilities and population to support a franchise