PDA

View Full Version : Hawes to Clippers - 4yr, 23M

KobeOwnSU
07-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Free agent Spencer Hawes has reached agreement on a four-year, $23M deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell Yahoo.

rockets-fan
07-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Rockets missing out in all the good role players in hopes to get melo haha this is gunna backfire on us nasty!

jp611
07-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Perfect backup to DJ.

More outside shooting for the Clippers. Great deal.

JNA17
07-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Clippers adding that depth.

Seriously what's their backups now? I feel like they could be a starting lineup alone lol.

prodigy
07-04-2014, 07:27 PM
6 mill a year??? Wow clippers raped hawes so hard. He's a real good scoring center, thinking about 8 mill for him. Great deal for clippers.

ManningToTyree
07-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Nice pickup

Crackadalic
07-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Thought hawes was going to get more wow. He's still a quality starter. Thought Miami would at least try to get him

Aust
07-04-2014, 07:30 PM
He's only 26? Thought Hawes was older than that.

KobeOwnSU
07-04-2014, 07:32 PM
These teams in Lebron/Melo sweepstakes are gonna get burnt by this. By the time they are done entertaining these fools, they are gonna have to overpay hasbeens and neverwas'.

Saddletramp
07-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Rockets missing out in all the good role players in hopes to get melo haha this is gunna backfire on us nasty!

Yeah. And I doubt the Rockets even add a top name player.

NYKnickFanatic
07-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Awesome pickup. Clippers finally have a good backup.

PurpleLynch
07-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Clippers as usual adding depth.This team looks even more stacked than last year.Future looks pretty bright for the Clippers,damn you! :D

0nekhmer
07-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Clippers have a really nice team wow

kobe4thewinbang
07-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Clippers have a really nice team wowAnd they likely still won't win a title and Chris Paul will keep choking and keep making stupid commercials. And on the off chance that they actually do win, people (including me) will say "It's about time! What took 'em so long?"

PurpleLynch
07-04-2014, 08:06 PM
And they likely still won't win a title and Chris Paul will keep choking and keep making stupid commercials. And on the off chance that they actually do win, people (including me) will say "It's about time! What took 'em so long?"

Well,the level of competition in the Western conference is a pretty excuse. Anyway,if they win a ring it's a fact,unlike fans's opinions.
I'm a Laker fan too and I will be glad if they don't win the championship,but a ring is a ring and all the hate I feel(in a "sport" way,obviously)for the Clippers can't deny that.

moshy2
07-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Damn. Wouldn't have minded him in GS. Going to LAC makes it worse.

Chrisclover
07-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Win or bust.

goingfor28
07-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Very good signing imo and great value

WITZ
07-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Solid Offensive player, **** defensive player but getting him for the Mle compared to other contracts going around is a great deal for the clips.

Crackadalic
07-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 1 minute ago
Doc Rivers trying to work sign-and-trade w/ Cavs for Hawes, preserving Clippers exception to still target Paul Pierce, sources tell Y.

PacersForLife
07-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Don't understand the love for Hawes, honestly.

TheNumber37
07-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Because he is a stretch 4/5 whose a solid rebounder, a mismatch who has played consistent.

He could be a final piece type for a contender... Off the bench he's phenomenal... With Crawford in pick and roll... Deadly

PacersForLife
07-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Because he is a stretch 4/5 whose a solid rebounder, a mismatch who has played consistent.

He could be a final piece type for a contender... Off the bench he's phenomenal... With Crawford in pick and roll... Deadly

I mean I guess I get that, but I feel the same way as Zach Lowe who just put out a few tweets regarding this deal. I'm just not a big fan of Hawes I guess.

Mr.B
07-04-2014, 09:21 PM
These teams in Lebron/Melo sweepstakes are gonna get burnt by this. By the time they are done entertaining these fools, they are gonna have to overpay hasbeens and neverwas'.
Actually it will be just the opposite, at least for the smart GM's it will be. Teams have been spending money like crazy and way overpaying early in free agency. There will still be some bargains once most of the teams have spent their money. That's how the Mavs ended up with Monte Ellis last year.

shep33
07-04-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure this helps a lot. Don't get me wrong it doesn't hurt, but they need some perimeter defenders badly.

IversonIsKrazy
07-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Solid pickup. DJ/Blake Hawes/Davis is a real good rotation. They need to keep Crawford tho

goingfor28
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure this helps a lot. Don't get me wrong it doesn't hurt, but they need some perimeter defenders badly.
He's the perfect backup big who can stretch the floor. Exactly what they needed behind Blake and Deandre. They still absolutely need a wing defender, but it's early

NBA_Starter
07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
He's the perfect backup big who can stretch the floor. Exactly what they needed behind Blake and Deandre. They still absolutely need a wing defender, but it's early

Deng?

goingfor28
07-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Deng?
Would be great, idk if they have the money tho. Would have to swing some trades to free up space

NBA_Starter
07-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Would be great, idk if they have the money tho. Would have to swing some trades to free up space

I'd love to see it.

lakerboy
07-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Yeah Clips have so much depth but they'll never win. They don't have a perennial allstar in their team. Blake and Paul just won't cut it.

Regardless, Clippers just raped Spencer Hawes with this deal. His agent is a total idiot.

Arch Stanton
07-05-2014, 12:47 AM
I didn't watch Hawes a ton, only the 20 or so games on the Cavs. But really liked his game, he really helped stretch the floor for our guards and brought a much needed toughness. Clips got a steal IMO.

Quinnsanity
07-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Man, if they could s&t for Hawes and still use the MLE on Pierce that team is set.

kylem4711
07-05-2014, 02:17 AM
so basically, its a good signing unless you are a laker fan...

Nikeman
07-05-2014, 02:19 AM
As a Miami fan ****.

Rumor was Hawes was expected to be in the 8 mill + range, thus taking Miami out of contention. As a 7'1 center, a big body, a 13/8 player who shoots 40% from 3 and is only 26 years old, I am pissed Miami missed out.

Good signing by the Clippers

shep33
07-05-2014, 04:16 AM

It's a good signing, I don't think anyone is doubting that. But I think their biggest holes are on the wing defensively.

I just think back to the OKC series where Westbrook ripped up anyone who was on him.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-05-2014, 08:59 AM

Teams that get burnt by the LeBron/Melo sweepstakes probably go after the Love sweepstakes. Wolves said it them selves they weren't gonna trade Love before or on draft night. They know a few teams will be very desperate when they miss out on big free agents. They come calling then.

IndiansFan337
07-05-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised he signed on to be a backup. He could be the starting C for 2/3 of the NBA teams.

I think he will be pretty inconsistent as a backup, unless they make a much bigger effort to lower the minutes of Griffin and Jordan and consistently give Hawes 25-30 mpg.

He's easily worth $6mil per yr. I actually expected him to command $8-10 mil per yr this summer.

RaginRondo17
07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
He's only 26? Thought Hawes was older than that.

Seems like he has been around quite awhile.

goingfor28
07-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Correct lol

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Clippers had two gaping holes on the team. Starting SF and backup big. It's been that way for the entire CP3 era pretty much. Now they addressed one of them while only using MLE. The best step would be trading a Crawford package for a SF, such as Deng potentially, since cap space is gone now. A backup PG for minimum will be sufficient for this team behind CP3. Even when CP3 goes down, Blake becomes a point forward and the team doesn't really need a PG with passers like Griffin/Hawes running High/Low.

Hawkamania
07-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Great pickup for the Clips.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2014, 01:23 PM
CP3/Farmar
Redick/Bullock
Deng/Dudley
Griffin/?
DJ/Hawes

Is a damn nice roster if the Clippers can land Deng.

TrueFan420
07-05-2014, 06:46 PM
CP3/Farmar
Redick/Bullock
Deng/Dudley
Griffin/?
DJ/Hawes

That's a massive if...

I think you'll see hawes back up both DJ and griffin.

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2014, 11:31 PM
This is a perfect pickup in theory. Hopefully Hawes keeps his effectiveness coming off the bench. He's always been a decent player on bad teams playing big minutes with plenty of touches. It's not to say he won't get his touches. I think the Clippers will find minutes for him. I really hope this he's the perfect fit he could be. The Clipper fans have it right in this thread. Sure is SF a bigger problem? Yes. Could we fill that problem with the MLE? Probably not. Filling what has been our 2nd biggest need for 3 years with the MLE is awesome for Clipper fans! I'm shocked he went for the MLE to back up. That says a lot about what he think about playing for the Clippers, which makes me feel more confident that he will actually fit in. He had to have taken less money and a lesser role than he could have had elsewhere. I love being a fan of a team like that for a change!

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2014, 11:32 PM
That's a massive if...

I think you'll see hawes back up both DJ and griffin.

Crawford could score 25 a game on Cleveland. It's not as massive as you think.

Chronz
07-06-2014, 12:59 AM
This is a perfect pickup in theory. Hopefully Hawes keeps his effectiveness coming off the bench. He's always been a decent player on bad teams playing big minutes with plenty of touches. It's not to say he won't get his touches. I think the Clippers will find minutes for him. I really hope this he's the perfect fit he could be. The Clipper fans have it right in this thread. Sure is SF a bigger problem? Yes. Could we fill that problem with the MLE? Probably not. Filling what has been our 2nd biggest need for 3 years with the MLE is awesome for Clipper fans! I'm shocked he went for the MLE to back up. That says a lot about what he think about playing for the Clippers, which makes me feel more confident that he will actually fit in. He had to have taken less money and a lesser role than he could have had elsewhere. I love being a fan of a team like that for a change!

We've gotten decent production out of Barnes at the 3, backup bigmen have sucked far harder for us IMO.

Cracka2HI!
07-06-2014, 01:39 AM
We've gotten decent production out of Barnes at the 3, backup bigmen have sucked far harder for us IMO.

True. Just playing devils advocate I guess. I think our wings; Crawford, Reddick, Barnes, Dudley, Bullock and Tucker are fine. In fact I have little doubt they will produce better than they did last season. Deng, Ariza and even Piece and Carter would be upgrades tho IMO.

TrueFan420
07-06-2014, 03:19 AM
Crawford could score 25 a game on Cleveland. It's not as massive as you think.

Um seeing as he's only scored 20 pg once in his career playing nearly 40 minutes a game that season you should think again about said comment. It's a massive if. They have no need for him. He's not a fit to their team and he won't want to be there. Only way it goes down is if Lebron signs with them. Hence, massive if.

apet8945
07-06-2014, 04:39 AM
CP3/Farmar
Redick/Bullock
Deng/Dudley
Griffin/?
DJ/Hawes

Sorry, but that does not look like a nice roster at all.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Sorry, but that does not look like a nice roster at all.

Disagree.

prodigy
07-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Its a nice starting rotation. The the lack of depth could hurt though.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2014, 04:15 PM

Well obviously more needs to be done. Cannot sit by idly or the team will be out in the 2nd round again next year. NEED to package together something for a better SF and a back up PG.

prodigy
07-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Well obviously more needs to be done. Cannot sit by idly or the team will be out in the 2nd round again next year. NEED to package together something for a better SF and a back up PG.

Deng is also highly overrated. Bulls ran him dry and he single handily cost cavs games last season with his 3-15 shooting nights. Need money to add depth, well good depth anyway lol.

Clippersfan86
07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Deng is also highly overrated. Bulls ran him dry and he single handily cost cavs games last season with his 3-15 shooting nights. Need money to add depth, well good depth anyway lol.

Well my issue with Deng now is that he's supposedly demanding 12 mill a year now as a 30 year old on the decline. I'd be totally happy with someone cheaper like Wilson Chandler who the Nuggets have made available. Crawford+another piece for Wilson Chandler seems fair.