PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Re-Ups with Dallas

goingfor28
07-03-2014, 05:04 PM
3 year deal. On my phone so no link sorry, just got a notification if someone else wants to fill in the blanks.

No surprise here

jaydubb
07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Never a doubt

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2014, 05:06 PM
3 years about $30M

Thumper 88
07-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Leaves about 16m+ to spend

Aust
07-03-2014, 05:12 PM
What do you guys think Dirk would be worth on the open market?

J4KOP99
07-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Dirk is still a horse. Id say he could fetch around 15 over 3/4 yrs on the open market

True Sports Fan
07-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Steal for Mavs.

Thumper 88
07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah 15m on a good team, a small market bad team would probably max him out

Aust
07-03-2014, 05:30 PM
goodguydirk.jpg

Hmmm, what about goodguykobe.jpg ?

[This file does not exist]

Mr.B
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Leaves about 16m+ to spend

They could few up more room by trading Brandon Wright.

5ass
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Did he already sign or did they just agree?

Mr.B
07-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Did he already sign or did they just agree?

One can sign until the 9th. All deals are just verbal agreements at this point from my understanding.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Dirk would never leave.

Tony_Starks
07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Thats whatsup. Him, D Wade, and Kobe will probably be the last superstars we see play their entire careers with one team for a while.......

Mr.B
07-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Thats whatsup. Him, D Wade, and Kobe will probably be the last superstars we see play their entire careers with one team for a while.......

Duncan and Ginobili fit that category too

akia83
07-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Lol, Why?

It's not worse than the 90's.
Only Stockton and David Robinson comes to my mind.
Pippen, Jordan, Karl Malone, O'Neal, Ewing, Olajuwon, Garnett, Webber, Kidd, Payton all played in different teams.

I can't see why Griffin or D-Rose can't stay there all their career btw.

Great news for Dallas though :)

NBA_Starter
07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
The least surprising move but its good to see another player have honor and stay where he is, props to Dirk.

R. Johnson#3
07-03-2014, 06:24 PM
What a steal but we all knew he was going to stay. It's good to see there are still guys that are loyal to their team and aren't trying to get a huge payday. Don't get me wrong, 10 mil a year is a lot but Dirk could have gotten more very easily.

Aust
07-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Duncan sure, but not Ginobili if we're talking about "superstars" as he said.

Tony_Starks
07-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Man I completely forgot about the champs. Timmy, Ginobli, and more than likely Parker probably all do it.....

ThuglifeJ
07-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Lol, Why?

It's not worse than the 90's.
Only Stockton and David Robinson comes to my mind.
Pippen, Jordan, Karl Malone, O'Neal, Ewing, Olajuwon, Garnett, Webber, Kidd, Payton all played in different teams.

I can't see why Griffin or D-Rose can't stay there all their career btw.

Great news for Dallas though :)

Lol...pippen Jordan Malone olajuwan Webber Payton Ewing ???? Really??? That's your list?? Hahah

Don't be dumb there's a huge difference between players leaving teams in their primes or good stages still versus all the guys you mentioned who played nearly their whole careers one franchise and then one other at the very end of their careers just to ringchase or w.e

Terrible comparisons. Jordan especially.

ThuglifeJ
07-03-2014, 07:00 PM
So its 10 mil forsure? Can't really do better than that if you're a mavs fan.. I mean it woulda been real cool if he took vet min to help his team fully and have Cuban pay him on the side haha but that's a stretch.

10 mil is great. Mavs might have a real good team..

Mr.B
07-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Lol...pippen Jordan Malone olajuwan Webber Payton Ewing ???? Really??? That's your list?? Hahah

Don't be dumb there's a huge difference between players leaving teams in their primes or good stages still versus all the guys you mentioned who played nearly their whole careers one franchise and then one other at the very end of their careers just to ringchase or w.e

Terrible comparisons. Jordan especially.
Actually I don't think there is difference. Obviously we will always remember Jordan as a Bull, Malone as a member of the Jazz, Ewing as a Knick, Dream as a Rocket, and Payton as a Sonic but there will always be those images of them in a different uni, which must doesn't look right. There are players in every sport that try to hold on a little bit too long and we wish they would have simply retired with their original team instead of going for one last payday or one last shot at the title. Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, and Brett Favre also come to mind.

Now days it's really rare to see a guy take less money or fewer minutes just to stay with the same team until he's ready to retire. John Stockton, Troy Aikman, and Jeter also fit the mold of guys staying their entire career with one team.

MrfadeawayJB
07-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Good deal for both sides

FlashBolt
07-03-2014, 09:13 PM
This easily becomes the best place for Melo. Dallas is a great city and Cuban is a very loyal owner if you compete hard. Chandler, Melo, Monta, Felton, Dirk? Great news for Dallas fans.

GiantsSwaGG
07-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Shocker

TheMightyHumph
07-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Actually I don't think there is difference. Obviously we will always remember Jordan as a Bull, Malone as a member of the Jazz, Ewing as a Knick, Dream as a Rocket, and Payton as a Sonic but there will always be those images of them in a different uni, which must doesn't look right. There are players in every sport that try to hold on a little bit too long and we wish they would have simply retired with their original team instead of going for one last payday or one last shot at the title. Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, and Brett Favre also come to mind.

Now days it's really rare to see a guy take less money or fewer minutes just to stay with the same team until he's ready to retire. John Stockton, Troy Aikman, and Jeter also fit the mold of guys staying their entire career with one team.

Payton & Malone were ring-chasing

Mr.B
07-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Payton & Malone were ring-chasing
Yup, so was Deion Sanders

Vinny642
07-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Classy man

torocan
07-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Strong leadership move by Dirk. Yeah, he's taking less money but it will pay off down the road in terms of keeping the Mavs competitive and increasing his stature.

Not to mention it will make Cuban's job a LOT easier to fill out the roster with more competitive contracts.

When your Star takes a discount, it's a lot easier to ask everyone else to pitch in some money here and there. Additionally it creates a financial investment by players in the success of the team. If you have to sacrifice a few millions dollars to invest in your team's success, you're going to be more committed so that you don't waste that sacrifice.

As long as Cuban makes sure to do his best to build a Winning roster and he rewards the guys who sacrificed in the long term, it could be very good for the team.

Rivera
07-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Duncan sure, but not Ginobili if we're talking about "superstars" as he said.

But Manu is better than a superstar. He's a future HOFer. He could retire right now and make it to the HOF. He would even make it into my strict basketball hall of fame.

waveycrockett
07-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Dirk loses another step every year but unlike Tim Duncan he really hurts his team on one end of the court so much so Cuban blasted him last year for it. Not sure he has much left in the tank

Thumper 88
07-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Dirk loses another step every year but unlike Tim Duncan he really hurts his team on one end of the court so much so Cuban blasted him last year for it. Not sure he has much left in the tank

Wtf? Dirk was solid last year and that was his first full season back from surgery. I expect dirk to score more than 22ppg.

His defense is underrated. He's solid

waveycrockett
07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Wtf? Dirk was solid last year and that was his first full season back from surgery. I expect dirk to score more than 22ppg.

His defense is underrated. He's solid

I never sad he was bad I said he doesn't have much left in the tank. And his defense was awful last year. Mark Cuban has never called him out publicly until last year.

Lakersfan30
07-04-2014, 10:40 AM
nice deal, another hit to the kobe extension, but he's no hollywood blockbuster hit

Thumper 88
07-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I never sad he was bad I said he doesn't have much left in the tank. And his defense was awful last year. Mark Cuban has never called him out publicly until last year.

What is your proof he doesn't have much left? Are you saying he should retire? Or that compared to superstar status he doesn't have much left? Dirks defense was not awful last season.. I think you are miss guided on that.

waveycrockett
07-04-2014, 10:53 AM
What is your proof he doesn't have much left? Are you saying he should retire? Or that compared to superstar status he doesn't have much left? Dirks defense was not awful last season.. I think you are miss guided on that.

What? The proof is his age.

Thumper 88
07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
What? The proof is his age.

Fail.. That in no way means he doesn't have much left in the tank.

waveycrockett
07-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Fail.. That in no way means he doesn't have much left in the tank.

Um yes it does. Unless Dirk is immortal or has found the fountain of youth Age effects everybody. Not many 36 year old 7 footers out there trending up or getting better...

Mr.B
07-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Um yes it does. Unless Dirk is immortal or has found the fountain of youth Age effects everybody. Not many 36 year old 7 footers out there trending up or getting better...
Dirk has lost a step however it really hasn't affected him that much. You have to realize that because Dirks game is below the rim he'll be able to play longer and be more effective late in his career than a lot of super stars. I see Dirk playing at the same level he played last year for about another 2 to 3 years. Then I could easily see him then transitioning to a 6th man role if he still wanted to play. By that time Cuban and Donnie will have found Dirk’s replacement as the superstar of the team.

waveycrockett
07-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Dirk has lost a step however it really hasn't affected him that much. You have to realize that because Dirks game is below the rim he'll be able to play longer and be more effective late in his career than a lot of super stars. I see Dirk playing at the same level he played last year for about another 2 to 3 years. Then I could easily see him then transitioning to a 6th man role if he still wanted to play. By that time Cuban and Donnie will have found Dirk’s replacement as the superstar of the team.
Once players turn 35+ they can drop off a cliff at any time. Whether it's due to injury, or conditioning or athleticism. It happened to Pierce, Kobe and KG, it happened to Shaq, David Robinson and to Nash. At Dirk's age him staying healthy is going to be the biggest problem.

goingfor28
07-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Dirk is still the man

gatkins11
07-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Once players turn 35+ they can drop off a cliff at any time. Whether it's due to injury, or conditioning or athleticism. It happened to Pierce, Kobe and KG, it happened to Shaq, David Robinson and to Nash. At Dirk's age him staying healthy is going to be the biggest problem.

Dirk's different. He's not a banger and is game is not predicated on getting to the rim. He'll age quite nicely. His game is built for longevity.

Mr.B
07-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Dirk's different. He's not a banger and is game is not predicated on getting to the rim. He'll age quite nicely. His game is built for longevity.

Exactly!